Hey guys! remember that thing microsoft invented that nobody asked for and is used by absolutely nobody?

hey guys! remember that thing microsoft invented that nobody asked for and is used by absolutely nobody?

well now you can use it too on linux and macos!

pcworld.com/article/3109176/open-source-tools/microsoft-powershell-goes-open-source-and-lands-on-linux-and-mac.html

What's the point? I can just use #!/bin/env python if I really want a scripting language to run in my shell. Just insert the shebang of your choice in there and you are good to go.

M$ has a lot of nerve putting this inferior product out there, but then again... maybe they are giving it away for free because they know how worthless it is. I'd never use it, not in a million years. Totally inferior in every respect, that sums it up.

I have to use powershell for work, and it is the biggest piece of shit ever.

I'm actually happy with this. I do a lot of shell scripting and I think it's horrible and outdated in a lot of ways, so I definitely want to experiment with a shell that's fundamentally different from the other shells I've used. Passing just plain text around can get really annoying sometimes. As far as I know Powershell is not particularly good, and I don't expect to end up using it regularly, but it should be interesting.

This could also be helpful for Wine and ReactOS.

I don't know how helpful would be for Wine and ReactOS has a long way before it'll be even able to run PowerShell on a real hardware

Unfortunately you'll end up scripting in python that way.

I think I smell something
PS /home/vagrant> echo dongs > dongs PS /home/vagrant> cat dongs ÿþdongsPS /home/vagrant>
👌

It is the retarded child of perl/bash and C. Really sucks at being an interactive shell and being able to nigger-rig programs.
Not in any way. Look up dotnet core.

I meant C#, nothing to do with C.

Since "man man" is a good start for learning Unix shell, I ran "help help". I think it's trying to tell me something.

There are worse things. And as I said, you can replace Python with pretty much any other interpreter.

The only good thing about this is that we can check it for botnet now.
Other than that it's garbage.

you naive goyim.

GET HELP

"as we move to the cloud" is probably the most slashcuck thing one can possibly say.

Whoa.
This "moving to the cloud" maymay still exists. I remember when it started about 10 years ago, I thought it was dead already.

this is good news, microsoft making more and more honestly shit-tier attempts to appeal to the linux-loving sysadmin indicates that they're starting to feel the stallmeme biting their flanks.

Eventually they'll have to port office, but they've grossly overestimated it's value to the platform so far, and will likely overestimate demand when it comes to the the crunch.

Well I certainly am not interested in the horseshit they've been calling Office since the ribbon interface they shoved into it in 2007.

Microsoft has a hardon lately for demolishing productivity. I get pissed off any time I have to use any of their products from the last decade or more. It's always worse

Most people will probably use their scripts in their shell, so it's really annoying if the interpreter/thing that runs it takes too long to start up. So I've compared commonly used scripting languages (like C and Perl6) time to print something with powershell. Your mileage may vary.
| lang | time (ms) ||-------------------------+-----------|| sh (as in dash) | 1 || Microsoft® Powershell™ | 1341 || Perl | 2 || Python2 | 16 || Python3 | 35 || Perl6 | 141 || C (#!/usr/bin/tcc -run) | 5 |

RHEL is native on Azure, you can even buy a RHEL subscription through Microsoft.

And now .NET core is set to be the forward compatible version of .NET (Though windows forms will not be ported).

it's ported in Mono so what stops people from putting those together?

i'm more curious of WPF

Sweet, powershell is a lot less insane than doing shit in bash but I don't expect it to become production-usable anytime soon.

So true.
(I'm making a living building asp.net backends, systematically using the latest tooling. VS 2015 and mvc6/core are utter shit compared to previous versions)

High jej

Office officially went to shit with Office 2008. It was one of the worst "upgrades" Microshit has ever done.

fuck powershell. i don't care if they opened it up, it's just another attempt by microsoft to gain developer support and try to edge their way into the linux market.

it's like how windows was / is incorporating bash and partnering with ubuntu to try and woo linux devs - then windows update goes and deletes users linux partitions.

or like how microsoft has been pushing .net framework on linux and trying to open their app store to linux users. i may have mixed up what this actually refers to .net? / app_store? because the article i remember was a year or 2 ago but point is microsoft is trying to increase their market share on linux for their microsoft services as they increasingly move towards a more service oriented business structure

note that i say "linux" users and not "gnu-linux" users. the distinction is important. "gnu-linux" users have the necessary autism to avoid all things proprietary. "linux" users embrace proprietary software when it's convenient.

this is only a further attempt by microsoft to increase their market share. even if powershell is open, by using it (or .net) you're supporting proprietary software indirectly through the microsoft ecosystem built around it. now all those linux sys-admins can also support windows by using powershell, yay!

✓ EMBRACE
✓ EXTEND
EXTINGUI..