I INSTALLED GENTOO BUT THE INTERNET IS BORK!

I originally posted this on tech but I doubt that is going to get attention in the foreseable hour.

I managed to install Gentoo into a virtual machine but as the picture shows, the internet does not work. Now, the internet does work in the live cd and I've copied the resolv.conf from the live cd to the installation. The internet will refuse to fucking work in the installation. All I want to do is install the i3wm. Now, if anyone doesn't have an answer to this, I would like to know how to manually configure packages for Gentoo. I manually installed all 17 packages that emerge said I needed, but I don't know how to make them. My goal is to get the i3wm one way or another. If I get it the no internet way, then I'll just enable the internet in there. Please, someone, for fucks sakes, help me!

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Full/Networking#Getting_started
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

delete system32

I wanted configurability.

kill yourself

why did you go for Gentoo right off the cut? Those just transitioning should always go for something easier like Ubuntu. gradually you go up to Gentoo, Fedora, and when you are at God-Level you install Arch Linux/Kali Linux

When did I ever say I was transitioning? I'm happy on Debian Jessie on my main. I have been trying to install Gentoo on a old laptop but there was a kernel panic when I booted it up, so I felt I needed to do a test to really know what's going on in a virtualbox. This is only really for learning and testin gpurposes. But if one day, I manage to get Gentoo running on my laptop, that would be fucking delicious.

configure your network interface in your gentoo install you fucking pussy

How do you do that? The net-setup command does not exist.

dont know what this new net-setup thing is and im running gentoo myself.

create/open this file:

/etc/conf.d/net

and add:

config_eth0="dhcp"
dns_domain_lo="lan"

then do

# ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth0
# rc-update add net.eth0 default

replace eth0 with enp2s0 or whatever your network device is named. and your eth0 interface might be down so try doing:

# ifconfig eth0 up

you might also need a dhcp client because i dont remember if gentoo includes it. for dhcp client reboot back to chroot and #emerge net-misc/dhcpcd. otherwise do static network config manually.

theres some weird shit going on in amd64 gentoo handbook u best use this shit here dog

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Full/Networking#Getting_started

Have you made sure to install the correct network interface drivers when preparing the kernel for compilation?

When I do ifconfig eth0 up, I get that there is no such device and when I was in the livecd, I did install dhcpd.

When I try to follow this, eth0 cannot start for some reason.

mebe try changing virtualbox Attached to: Bridged Adapter to something else and see wot comes about

if that doesnt help u probs didnt include some netwerk drivers when configuring ur kernel

I did include the network drivers required when compiling the kernel.

Linux is for computer illiterate faggots. Real men use Windows 7.

Plus I did play around with the virtualbox network settings a lot. This setting works with the live cd, this should work with the installation.

# dmesg | grep eth0
see if u see anything interesting

what happens if u do

#ifconfig enp0s3 up

Windows Eleven master race, reporting in.

tight as heck desktap

When I did that, there was no output. It just went to prompt.

*went back to prompt

A new meme is born

you are doing god's work

thats good. basically udev has renamed ur eth0 interface to a gay enp0s3 name and u must do the manual network setup but use enp0s3 name instead of eth0 like the said

first check if ur interface is trully up
# ifconfig
and do the rest of config

and my recomendation is to emerge eudev instead of udev. eudev is a fork by gentoo developers and it uses the good old eth* nic naming rules.

problem?

The rest of the config in the Gentoo handbook?

Fucking hell man.

kek

What makes you say that?

>then built own Debian based environment because Unity is fucking cancer
>Then moved onto Arch God fucking damn how many times have I done that text based install

I installed gentoo once in the 90's, was breedy dank :DDD

/etc/network/interfaces

auto eth0iface eth0 inet dhcp

replace eth0 with your interface
read "dmesg" output for interface

Yes, the network config part.

OP you a gentoo god yet? If you need more help just axe me dog.

All the high level linux users I know use one of those two (some hackers) so I thought these two were the Linux holy grail