Sheep

sheep

If anyone has any questions about sheep I'd be willing to answer them. As they're not hard or trick questions.

why do they seem so retarded

I imagine "natural" selection is part of it. The ones that followed shepherds thousands of years ago fared better than the ones that wandered off, selecting for the herd mentality. Also these ones are a heritage breed from northern Norway, where the bears and lynx were mostly scared off for the better part of the last thousand years and have only recently come back because people aren't farming as much. So these ones haven't had predators for several hundred generations.

These ones also had a real affinity for people. They had plenty of woods they could go lay in during the day where there was shade but when they chewed cud they usually liked to stay close to people.

is there any reasoning behind what looks to be like random bawing?

Some of it's really random. Some of it (like in the second video) is basically the sheep playing marco polo. Some of it (like the third video) is just really irritated sheep, that ones had twins so her nips were always chapped. Some of it (like the 5th video) is them being excited when they're about to go outside, then when most of them get outside the only ones making noise are the ones that were stupid and forgot how to use the door. They also make noise when they see someone they know that might have treats.

So a fair amount of if it random, but when they're happy and relaxed they're usually quiet.

most interesting/noteworthy sheep related incident?

The barn in this pic is kind of cool. In northern norway the germans burned everything when they were retreating from the soviets in wwii. So when people returned from hiding in the swamps they made things with scrap parts: the roof of this was made out of old german oil barrels that were cut apart.

They are not retarded. They are exactly the way they were created. It's you who don't understand them. You think their dumb because they're not like you. But for the rest of us, we're quite happy about that.

are that 16 year old that got banned in that other thread?

so for background the people who owned the farm i was on were just re-starting an old family farm while i was there. entirely new flock of sheep that all had their first babies, so they're basically new teenage mothers and complete bitches. i had taken care of them for a month on my own earlier in the summer and it was fine because there was enough cleared land to fence them in so i could just rotate them and didn't have to shepherd them (once they were done giving birth which was the hardest part). so it wasn't so bad.

they returned and i spent most of my time on other stuff, mostly haying and vegetables. then they were leaving again for a wedding and they didn't feel like the fields around their farm were good enough for the sheep to eat all week. so they selected a place that was like 2 kilometers away down a snowmobil trail. the problem was making a house for them there so they could stay the night safely.

i came up with pic related, it worked because it you could put panels together at the farm where the tools were then carry the parts down and keep it together with poles stuck into the ground. it was lynx/wolf proof (probably not bear proof though) and you could carry it by hand.

so the day before the owners left for their wedding we (me the owners and this russian guy, who was cool) brought the sheep down to this field. i stayed there watching after the sheep for a few hours to make sure they didn't run away. later these two other people (french couple, turned out to be really lazy which was a reoccurring problem) came down to watch the sheep so i could go back and finish the roof for their house.

i walk 2 kilometers back to the farm and start working on the roof. after like an hour i hear a baaing.
then i looked up and there were like a dozen sheep wandering around. so apparently the french people couldn't keep the sheep in the field.

so basically since this became a reoccuring theme because i couldn't watch the sheep all 16 hours of the day they were supposed to be on out loose. we spent probably 2-4 hours a night wandering around looking for sheep in a 3-4sq mile area. it was frustrating and made me hate sheep as well as french people. fortunately it was arctic summer so it never got dark.

Why do their eyes look like they do and why do i think that they are so extremely cool looking?

Also that was really long. So I'll do a shorter one.

The sheep really like dark, cool places. So they were drawn to the barn, one part of which is meant for sheep. there's a place to shovel their shit in and there's nothing in it. normally they just went in there to lay down. but one time they broke into the main part of the barn where all the powertools were. they broke open a plastic barrel where the 'kraftfood' was, which is nutrient rich pellets. it's meant to be a supplement and not a whole meal.

basically it was like a diarhea tornado all over the power tools i used on a daily basis.

Me 16? No, I'm 72.

Maybe you instinctively understand animals and like them

The eyes are really far to the sides and also bulging out of the skull I think to give the sheep better peripheral vision. Sheep probably have close to 300 degree vision, one can be walking directly away from you and turn it's head slightly to one side to glare at you.

The pupils I think are horizontal for a similar reason. They don't really have a reason to look vertically. They don't have very good vision (they'll run into wire fences if they don't know where they are) and have poor depth perception. But because of the orientation and shape of the pupil they can see almost all around them all the time.

Well how is it working with sheep?
Do you have a favourize one?

How is it like working with sheep*
I am good at english :^)

I find that sheep have a lot of personality and they're kind of frustrating at time but generally pretty nice. Cows are my favorite livestock animals though, they're more mellow.

I call this sheep thug-life sheep because she has a spot under her eye like the gang that gets tears tattooed under their eye when they kill people.

Lucy is in this video at 19 seconds. She was sort of shy but also really friendly once she got to know you.

Thug-life and Lucy were my two favorites.

Not a favorite but I like animals. I someimes feel bad for eating them. If I had more money, etc. I'd be a vegetarian. It's a terrilble world this way, I wish food could have been provided by God in another way. instead us all eating each other.

I love lamb. It is my favorite meat. No amount of cute videos or pictures will ever sway my hunger for God's scrumptious symbol of peace and divinity.

Neat. How the fuck do those planks stay in place though? It looks as if it could fall with a stiff wind.

Are you some sort of kebab?

Pork is gross. It always taste dry for me. No. I just love lamb. You can cook it so many ways, and it always turns out just right. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Have you ever had a lamb burger!? Kicks the shit out of any regular beef burger. So yummy with feta cheese and black onions.

Personally I don't eat meat because I've been vegetarian since I was a kid and I think adjusting physically would take a while.

That said I don't have an inherent problem with eating meat. I'd eat meat from any farm I've worked on. But I wouldn't eat anything that I don't know where it came from. Partly because I think they deserve a good life and partly because much of the meat industry is disgusting.

Just based on smell I'd guess squid>>lamb>cow>most other fish>game>shellfish>pork.
Squid is the only meat I remember liking but I used to like it a lot.

It's got a post and beam skeleton which is pretty sturdy. The boards have pretty big nails keeping them in which were probably recovered from an older burned barn, but it's definitely falling apart. Mostly from water damage. It's not really used as a barn, just shade for the sheep.

What does sheep pussy feel like?

Can you milk sheep like goats and does it taste just as bad?

I wasn't taking care of these cows but I thought they were kind of neat. I saw them in Jötenheimen which is a national park in southern norway. It's where most of the highest peaks in scandinavia are, the name is literally "home of Jötens" which was a type of giant in norse mythology. Beautiful area.

The cows were cool. I've worked on farms with a number of hardy heritage breeds in the US but these had an entirely unique shape and coat. They must be pretty hardy because they wandered over pretty rough terrain just to stretch their legs.

I've only felt sheep pussy when I was yanking babies out but it was warm, bloody and disgusting.
Yeah you can. I've never tasted the milk but I've been told it's a little less 'sharp' than goats milk, I'm not a fan of goats milk either. The cheese can be pretty fucking good when done right though. Better than most goat cheese IMO.

Ah okeh.

I thought this was kind of cute to. We got an electric fence for them eventually and they started to eat trees way before the grass started to look soiled. They'd also eat bark when they had plenty of other food, I guess it's got some nutrients in it they don't get from grass.

This is lucy eating a tree. She was my favorite.

This is why I love animals.

I think a lot of modern bastardized breeds would be liberals. They're entirely dependent on handouts and couldn't survive in nature.

What a nice thread, thank you.

Sure, I'm also online at the moment and will be partly lurking and partly doing other stuff but I'd be willing to answer serious inquiries about sheep (and cows). Not that I'm an expert.

I've seen some farmers (especially the ones that take their lambs away from their moms so they can milk them) keep their lambs inside so they don't get bothered by a fox or anything. They're pretty good house pets as long they have diapers on.

this makes me want to squeal in delight. that is a cute cow.

I apologize on beforehand if some of these questions seem a bit personal & not about sheep, you don't have to answer of course.

Are you a carpenter by trade?

How did you become involved with livestock?

Have you ever felt any sexual attraction towards sheep? My guess is no, since you're a vegetarian

What is the name of your favorite cow?

Why do you think we keep pets general?

What exactly do you dislike about the French? I detest the French, Swiss & Italians.

Approximately how much food does an adult sheep eat?

Do they like sugary stuff?
Is there something you're NOT supposed to feed them?

Have you observed anything resembling a social structure/hierarchy in the flock?

If you had a lamb, what would you name it?

Greetings from Sweden.

No I'm still in college but I've always done farmjobs. I enjoy them because you learn a lot of practical things: carpentry (making houses for animals) as well as mechanics and welding (repairing tractors). So not by trade but I enjoy it as an amateur and I'm somewhat handy.

Started with summer jobs, then working under the table while I was in school. The job that I was at last summer where these pictures are from I found from a nonprofit called WWOOF where you work for room and board which was fun.

Not sexual attraction but curiosity. I've especially always been curious to see if I could get one to give me a bj because they have impressively agile lips.

Aveida, the first cow I saw being born. We were tight.

Companionship mainly.

First and foremost that they're lazy, the rest is forgivable. Their fixation with talking about french culture is annoying to. They also tend to complain a lot about food, especially wine, cheese and coffee. Like a come from a well-off family and when I'm traveling I miss these luxuries to, but I also shut the fuck up about.

If you live in a place with a long winter an adult needs about one round bale of hay per winter. They're 3-400 kilos. When they're left to graze outside in the summer they'll eat a lot more than that, and it's also recommended that they get some supplements just after giving birth to make their food more nutritious. But as a rough estimate I'd say 1000-1200 kilos of dried hay.

Sometimes they'll eat stuff that you feed them just because other sheep are watching, so they will eat sweet things. But they won't eat most sweets if it's left on the ground. They do particularly enjoy kale, swiss-chard and cabbage though.

I don't feed them human food but they pretty much sort through everything and don't eat stuff that's bad for them. I was scything from a field that had a lot of stinging nettle and they even used their hooves to kick that around and ate around it pretty well. They even know which mushrooms they can eat by scent (mostly the same ones people can eat actually).

Yeah they absolutely have alpha sheep. It will usually be a ram if you don't butcher the males in the first year, but female sheep will dominate each other. There's usually one alpha (sorted by headbutting each other and each other's babies), a bunch of betas and a couple of omegas that are bullies, usually ones that didn't give birth for whatever reason. Their tits don't get swollen so they're faster and a lot of times meaner.

I think the bast name that I heard for a baby was Pontus. I'm also partial to very proper-sounding english names: like Harold, Walter or Elizabeth. It makes the lamb sound important.

Nice, where in sweden?

I'm going to take another minute to bitch about french people more.

It's like whenever they're 'working' they're just marginally putting enough effort into something until enough time passes so they can give up rather than actually working to accomplish something. And then they'll give up whenever they feel like they've surpassed their expectations for a reasonable amount of effort regardless of whose problem it will become. They have no sense of accountability. They like the protestant work ethic (and therefore the spirit of capitalism).

Swiss seem like a mixed bag to me. I respect their political ethos and like the ones near germany.

I don't much care for Italians. I can't even talk to Italian-Americans.

*they LACK the protest work ethic

cool thread

Thank you for the much detailed answers.
I'm from a town called Oskarshamn.

*adjusts truban*
l-lewd, who is this semen demon