End of torrenting?

What will you do once all trackers are down and the MPAA destroys the mainline BT DHT network?
Torrenting will literally die overnight.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nzb
tribler.org/anonymity.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get outta here grampa

Making newer trackers and seeding what I have.

pick one and only one

Do torrent clients keep IPs discovered through PEX/DHT inbetween sessions? Doesn't that mean your IP is now shared with millions of people?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nzb

i.e. never

i'll just keep re-downloading linux distro

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

It will only be a meme for ebin haxxors until they get their shit together and make a more simple installer and GUI for it to replace torrenting.

What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

We use torrent sites from other countries?

or we could have sharing sites or boards like this one to share as a hash

In theory torrents can stay alive as long as we continue to use them

Use gnunet to share files.

It's encrypted, decentralized and anonymous.

why are you here?

USENET
S
E
N
E
T

This can't come soon enough.

not a shill tbh

They could, but 99% of people don't have static IP's anyway. So if those logs are X amount of time old, then they are probably useless. (I don't know how long ISP's hold onto records of who was assigned what IP, maybe they do so forever, IDK).

Neither do I , but I just recently got pegged because someone torrented "Redhead Lesbian Love" from my IP about a year ago. My ISP literally shut off my modem until I clicked an "I agree" box stating that I was guilty and that I would never torrent again.

Cox living up to their name again

What do you guys think of Tribbler?

tribler.org/anonymity.html

It uses the Tor protocol but not the Tor network. It has it's own similar network for the purpose of torrenting over it.

hurr durr only one isp in my area

(checked)

let's add some more options to the mix.

For the record: You get caught infringing material by having an affiliated agent actually seeding the material to you or they decide to download it and catch as many peers as they can. They log the time, and the IP. They eventually email a complaint to the ISP, with the intent of it being forward to the transgressor. Depending on how "well" the ISP interprets the DMCA, they will either discard the complaint (as IPs now have the precedent to not be tied to identity) in the United States, forward the complaint and take no further action, or obstruct the customer. Often, we see IPs do the latter.

I often borrowed textbooks for citation and fast reference material I can't get fast or locally. I'm not shelling $30-400 dollars for the license, or do the shipping and return hassle to look at a few pages in a book.

Eventually, I had to fold to my overzealous ISP, and get a VPN.

KEK

How the fuck do you destroy the DHT network?

I guess worst case scenario you'd have to bolt on an extra mechanism that exchanged entry points through some as-yet undestroyed side channel.

You only need one valid entry to rebuild the network. Also people like me keep their machine on 24/7, so I doubt it's possible for the thing to die completely.

There is a C++ implementation avabile, called I2PD.
It has several internal trackers.
It depends on what you inteperate as content.
Again like most if not all of this stuff, what you download/host on your machine is completely up to you.

Get fucked stallman sama, Poettering and co told me gnu is no longer needed, so i am completely justified to just call it linux.

Sounds about right.

make it unusable with spam and noise

That pic is soooo sexy!

Private trackers will still find a way.

I'd Just torrent asian movies and animo from avistaz/bakabt.

The more the torrent protocol gets punished for its weaknesses, the more demand and hope there is for a secureish constant bandwidth anonymous filesharing network that circumvents the main vulns of freenet/i2p.

It prevents you from making a direct connection to known firms trying to catch you, which is required for you to upload or download to or from them. It's not perfect, but it removes you from the low hanging fruit rung of the pirate ladder.

Although blacklist hosts have gone to shit.

Works on persistence of distributed hash tables to various attacks have existed for ages, retards. Do you think it became such a universal hit because it was made by clueless idiots like you? RTFM.

I think you're confused, IPFS doesn't do any of that by default.

I don't know what the fuck he's talking about when he says
but he's certainly right that no one's going to be coming after you for piracy on IPFS, not for a long time because it has no content or userbase

I'm pretty surprised people are using it right now despite it being unfinished, I imagine it will gain notable popularity when they finish adding via path, i2p support., and make the webui user friendly (or someone else makes some GUI wrapper).

Seeing people posting IPFS hashes on /a/ and Holla Forums is weird, I wouldn't expect Holla Forums to use command line programs, /a/ makes a bit more sense since they're usually on the cutting edge with encoding and media players. Holla Forums had some IPFS threads where people were sharing the usual ebooks and videos.

If it's worth using before all the features are finished and before any optimization pass, that seems like a good sign to me. With i2p and better encryption support planned I doubt we'll have any real issues distributing content in a P2P fashion. The RIAA and MPAA never win, they can't keep up with all the new tech fast enough, not to mention these distribution platforms and being used for legitimate purposes now which makes it even harder for them to do anything about it.

Especially if there isn't just a dozen or a hundred websites they can point at and say -- those are the distributors, let's contact their providers and try to take them down. I think that's probably behind some of its appeal to /a/ and Holla Forums, both of whom do a lot more file-sharing than this board (not that I visit either of them very often). I imagine it must be pretty frustrating hopping around from host to host all the time, though, and IPFS does provide a solution to this (albeit while opening up many other problems).

Elaborate.

The thing is that it's currently like i2p: I don't want to install Go just for one application, the same way I don't want to pollute my system with Java for i2p (fortunately, i2pd is starting to become good).

90%+ of the people providing the content and doing the hard work that keeps torrents going today wouldn't have an issue using IPFS.

"booohooo but the normies that seed things for 5 minutes before deleting off their computer won't be able to watch the new Avengers™"

Go fuck yourself.

You retarded or something? You don't "install Go" to run a Go program. It's a fucking statically-compiled binary, that's one of the whole fucking points of Go.

That's the equivalent of bundling the JVM with a java program. Also, why do you assume I use a binary based distro?

Faggot who has zero experience with computers confirmed.

I bet you also clean and optimize your system and see it working faster after that.

No it's not, a runtime is not the same as a bytecode interpreter/VM.

What are you even talking about, just download the binary from their site if your distro doesn't provide it and/or you're too lazy to compile it yourself.

Do you complain about Python, Perl, Lisp, C, C++ or literally any language besides machine code because of their runtimes and interpreter dependencies? I don't even understand this complaint since it's statically linked too, do you not want to "pollute" your system with dynamic libraries or do you not want it to be built in? You can't have both for any program.

Did you read? The point is that Python, Perl, C, C++ are required by more than one program.

Anyway, I don't want to have anything to do with garbage collected programming languages (scripting languages are okay). Especially if I want to run it on a shitty A20 SBC.

I'll pick Java, thanks.
Not a fan of buffer overflow vulnerabilities.

Welcome to the next century.

Do I have to list all the OpenJDK CVEs? Do I have to remind you that bugs can go, but shit language design can't?

the usenet subscription is included in the internet service price

the internet service is still the both the best and cheapest available