New Computer

What are the essential software you download?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software
openmailbox.org/
cock.li/.
gist.github.com/haasn/69e19fc2fe0e25f3cff5
bestvpn.com/blog/8499/make-firefox-secure-using-aboutconfig/
tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

essential for what os?

redshift, tmux, firefox, transmission, mpd, mpc, ncmpcpp, weechat

Could add mpv and youtube-dl as well

i3
redshift
emacs

Any. Threads not specefic so you can recomend stuff for a specefic system if you want.

Isn't Firefox a little bulky?

bleachbit
youtube-dl
livestreamer
mpv

is there any good reason to use redshift? just do xgamma -bgamma 0.1

Color temperature isn't the same thing as gamma correction.

Visual Studio

gentoo

ENIGMA
TOR
VLC
Atom
L-Nano
Libreoffice
Transmission
Zsh
Oh my zsh
Minecraft
GCC
Tilda

qutebrowser
Emacs
zile
zsh, or fish if the keyboard is small and annoying and I want to save as much typing as possible
openssh
mpv
git
i3, xfce or dwm
quasselclient

Development:
kdevelop4
qtcreator
emacs
monodevelop (suggestion only to winfags)

Multimedia:
mpv
krita
clementine
kdenlive
gwenview
okular

Internet:
qupzilla
rekonq
smplayer+smtube (watch youtube without cancer)
qbittorrent/qtransmission

others:
octopi
libreoffice

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

/thread

vim, gcc, as, kicad,

Bonzi Buddy

A brain to see the sticky and use it

VLC media player

hijacking: what security addons should i use on firefox?

what are the safest programs and shit to do shit online?

Stickywiki is not (You)
back to cuckchan with you

best security addon is to not use firefox. firefox is google blobware with mozilla and google spyware bundle
free software, opensource stuff

for email service choose ones with IMAP/POP3 support + FOSS and install FOSS email client program so there's no js web cancer.
for browse use tor but don't trust it
for download use curl
for torrent anything foss will do

disable html canvas, disable js, never use flash and plugins

rec for browser? the less ugly the better. are brave or midor better?

are there really security differences lets say to use a gmail in thunderbird and to use gmail in the original web?

also i already https everywhere but there are sites that do not become https, is there a way to force them to? or a browser that would make them secure?

whats the difference here? they both download shit

thanks for answering m8

this

Careful user, your paranoia is showing.

Firefox is fine if you tweak it a bit. Look up about:config changes. Probably the best option for privacy if you're willing to put in some work.

Plenty of FOSS email clients support "js web cancer", and some proprietary clients don't. Most clients that support that stuff let you disable it. I use Sylpheed, but Thunderbird is nice too.

If https everywhere doesn't make a site https, try changing it in the address bar. If you then get an error you should stop trying because the site just doesn't support it.

Downloading through your web browser is fine. If you use an external tool I recommend wget. wget and curl are tools for two different purposes. wget's purpose is downloading things, and it's very good at that. You can make an Holla Forums file scraper in a single wget command. curl's purpose is making URL requests, and it's very good at that, but it's not focused on downloading and saving files. You can use both of them for simple downloads, but wget is slightly friendlier for it because it follows redirects by default and you don't need to specify a target filename.

Torrenting is a way of downloading files but you can't download torrents through a typical browser or wget-like program, and you can't use a typical torrent client to download regular files. I use qbittorrent. Other good torrent clients are Deluge, Transmission, and rtorrent if you want something more technical/autistic.

Gmail through the web client lets Google track everything you do. They probably even track your mouse movement, a lot of sites do that. If you use Gmail, use it through Thunderbird or something, but using Gmail at all is a really bad idea for your privacy. I recommend openmailbox.org/ and cock.li/.

For a browser, you can use Firefox with about:config changes, you can use Iridium if you're a fan of Chrome and can't stand anything else, you can use qutebrowser if you like the idea of doing everything with the keyboard, you can use Qupzilla if you want a simple Firefoxoid browser. Those are just a few options. Qupzilla is similar to Midori, but I prefer it over Midori. You could try both. I don't know enough about Brave.

and what should i change?

> openmailbox.org/ a

my biggest concerns are not companies but the gibment

This is a good start:
gist.github.com/haasn/69e19fc2fe0e25f3cff5
bestvpn.com/blog/8499/make-firefox-secure-using-aboutconfig/

The NSA has access to Google's data.

Depends on your needs tbh fam. If you have the power and space, it's good to have.

Faggot.

Winamp. Fuck that monkey shitplayer.

alright, i need to stop using google.

what is a google drive alternative? i mean that i could make slides, docs, all online and good and safe

reading trough it, apparently theres a user.js that do all this at once, is it trustful?

it is written in python, why would you use this crap

I think OwnCloud has that.

I don't know. Read it yourself to see if there's something weird in there.

What's wrong with that? You know that all the performance-critical stuff is libraries written in other languages, right?

Because if it works well, who gives a shit.

Deluge is an excellent lightweight client.

faggots

You know that all the performance-critical stuff is libraries written in other languages, right?

so why not just write the whole program in [superior language]?

Because it already fulfills its intended purpose quite nicely. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Because those library languages are not generally superior, they're superior when there's need for speed. If you're working on something that doesn't bottleneck the program it's nice to have a language that's easy to write, easy to modify, and safe.

sadly it doesnt, apperently they are planning to add that feature soon. as of now you can only edit pdf and doc

xgamma is shit. Use sct

Cancerrrrr

Every OS

Linux

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head

Archiving: 7zip for compatibility | lrzip for personal archiving
Video: anything that isn't MPV and VLC. Unless you enjoy watching stuff in a garbage player and then either is acceptable :^)
Audio: See Video.
Text manipulation: Notepad++ for crossplatform, mousepad if you use linux although your distro will usually come with one built in.

That's the bare essentials. Anything else you can use the sticky or a little common sense for.

Firefox
Deluge
GIMP
Atom
Kdenlive
Audacity
mpv
youtube-dl
Tor
Libreoffice

7zip is shit. install unp

Didn't cock.li have their servers seized last year? No idea why people are still recommending that one.

It moved to a different country to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Dude...

Why? Shit's bloated.

Was this the last good one? I recommend Minetest if you want to relive that feeling online.

Why tho

Slackware
i3
qutebrowser
rxvt-unicode
pdnsd
rofi
lua
zim
tlp
vbindiff
teeworlds
qbittorrent

I find its completion and git stuff useful, and the themes are nice, I do try to remove as much of the stuff I'm not using as possible though (like the excess themes).

gdb
mpv
cutegram
discord-canary
steam
privoxy
tor
i2p
firefox (+ addons)
arandr

XFCE + common programs are preinstalled so omitted them.

isn't youtube-dl integrated to mpv?

mpv has integration in the sense that it'll automatically use it if you have it installed.

redshiftfags who love suckless things may enjoy sct: tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature

dont just name drop a bunch of programs, you know it would be nicer to explain why that program is about and why is better

All I need is Ubantoo.

7zip has a weird glitch that I think I can easily fix but lazy so I use Peazip. Anyways...

Deluge (utorrent is like deluge but shittier and with ads)

7zip

Chrome (used firefox forever but a few things on chrome i like better)

Steam

Spotify

Photoshop

Logitech webcam software

Try Iridium instead of Chrome. It removes the spyware.

winpatrol
Very old UT
FFsplit 0.6.9
OBS classic
Handbrake
winamp
Daum Potplayer
Virtual audio cables
7Zip
WinRar
PaleMoon + addons
Gimp
AppLocal
Ad Muncher

I'll give that a shot. May just go back to K-Meleon as my systems abit too old to use current FF and pm kinda sucks.

Not to derail
Any one know of a decent vidya editing n \/\/!u 7 that's free and not lightworks? LW is complete shit tier.
Only MX-15 runs decently on this system and it don't have KdenLive for newbs.

You could try Blender.

Underrated post

check'd

i3
screenfetch
mocp
firefox and a theme
ublock
htop
mlocate
slim
syslinux
terminator
gnupg

NO. :D

a simple to use window manager
linux cock stroking statistics
minimal media player
an adblocker that's not turbo ghey... not that there's anything wrong with that.
process cock stroking statistics
find stuff on your hdd
think the ctrl alt del gui login menu
boot loader. grub2 ok, too.
gui command line program... uses java if you care
used for encrypted messages and tools n sheit

Preload daemon. Anyone else still use this? I read some tutorial about how to speed up debian for desktop use years ago and have used it ever since.

A little late, but for me:
Steam
VLC
Opera *They're all shit, this one at least has better functionality than chrome*
7-Zip
Afterburner
Gimp
OpenVPN
*skype* I'm a bad person
Tox
Hexchat/Xchat

wow, I blew it with my spoilers .

Are you a fuggin schizo?

I'm not familiar with this term.

Do you mean schizophrenic? If so, I don't see how it makes sense in context.

I bet your Chinese cartoons take up all of your processor. Get something better.

What's wrong with VLC?

Use mpv for video and mpd + ncmpcpp for music

That's not a real answer. Don't just recommend them, explain why they're better. Answer his question.

It's Holla Forums. Disability-related language is never use properly and if you it is you should probably look up the word or name in question first.

Vim, lamp, hexchat, libreoffice, tox, and palemoon.

This stupid fucker OP is so dumb that he installed new clean OS just because he bought new PC? And now he's going to spend 200 hours of installing all needed software, devices, importing his projects and files?

MPV is fucking disgusting anyway. Everyone who recommends it unironically is mentally disabled.

Seamonkey
VLC