Heads Up RFC 5961 Flaw

Announced today, allows malware to be injected into TCP streams without MITM attack

Works on all Linux kernels 3.6+

Easy fix is (in sudo or su):
edit /etc/sysctl.conf
append: net.ipv4.tcp_challenge_ack_limit = 999999999

Source: theregister.co.uk/2016/08/10/linux_tor_users_open_corrupted_communications/
Archive: archive.is/7UNYe

Source:
thehackernews.com/2016/08/linux-tcp-packet-hacking.html
Archive: archive.is/oabhl

Other urls found in this thread:

cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2016-5696
securitynewspaper.com/2016/08/11/linux-bug-leaves-usa-today-top-sites-vulnerable-serious-hijacking-attacks/
archive.is/R4y1G
blog.cryptographyengineering.com/
github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/75ff39ccc1bd5d3c455b6822ab09e533c551f758
launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/4.4.0-36.55
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This doesn't work on any other operating system because every other operating system didn't implement this part of the RFC.

Anyone know where to download the updated RHEL 7 rpm? I want to steal their backport of the fix. The version in Linus's tree needs a lot of changes and it's not in stable or stable-queue yet.

Fixed in 4.7. Basically this is non-news to everyone except nvidiafags, who are again denied a security update for muhfps

Nevermind, RHEL 7 doesn't appear to have it yet, backported it myself.

Slackware/BSD when?

uh, and for these things called 'servers'. Also a popular use of Linux. Year of the server when?

4.7 just got pushed on arch with the new nvidia drivers a little while ago.

One thing OP forgot was to execute the change with the command- sudo sysctl -p

kek, 4.7 manjaro here.

well obviously those faggots have to put security first and deal with the task of upgrading the kernel.

You got a link for that fix? I can't find anything mentioning this being fixed in 4.7.

Here's a link to the CVE

cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2016-5696

Relevant statement:

Also according to this article, this has been fixed for 3 weeks now. Just hadn't been deployed to most distros.

securitynewspaper.com/2016/08/11/linux-bug-leaves-usa-today-top-sites-vulnerable-serious-hijacking-attacks/

And if you are curious about what the patch does:

https:[email protected]/* *//msg118677.html

archive.is/R4y1G

I always knew that Linux is insecure amateur crap OS, that's why I switched from Whonix-Workstation (original uses debian) to Whonix-Windows. Now I am safe and you are hacked by NSA. I can watch hurtcore while you can watch prison wall.

Oh man lts packages are no longer safe nowadays. Everything have to be bleeding edge start from now on.

At least it's not as bad as wangblows where their exploits didn't get fix for decades.

btw, year of Hurd when?

As much as Windows is bug-ridden garbage, they patched badtunnel.

So I suppose I don't see the comparison here; if one isn't bad because it was patched why is the other?

SIX FUCKING YEARS LMAO

*four
woops

One has a setting that makes it pretty much impossible to exploit without rebooting or interruption, the other allowed complete network infiltration for two decades, there's no setting to change the vulnerability without completely disabling it (and removing the functionality companies needed) and was a result of stupid decisions, and not a result of a flaw in RFC specifications.
This is a result of a Linux implementing a flawed RFC supposed to provide security benefits to spec, not a mistake in development itself.

Implementing a broken spec is as bad if not worse.

blog.cryptographyengineering.com/
2013/09/the-many-flaws-of-dualecdrbg.html

Best bit about this story is OpenSSL broke the implementation of the broken RNG, and it was not possible to fix because FIPS.

The difference is one was broken, slow shit PRNG that nobody used, nobody recommended and everybody knew was flawed.
The other solved a very real problem, improving robustness of TCP, and the flaw was found via peer review. The only reason no one else was exploitable is because they didn't bother to implement the RFC or harden against spoofed package injection attacks.

Wow I'm glad all my data is secure in Microsoft's servers and NSA can datamine me safely while linux cucks are getting hacked!

How do I fix this, I am super new to Linux.
Don't even know what append means :(
Do I add "net.ipv4.tcp_challenge_ack_limit = 999999999" at the end of the .conf without the #?
Have to log in as su as well right? terminal takes me to vim instead of nano for some fucking reason and I don't use vim

So just run "nano /etc/sysctl.conf" after su-ing.

wait. do I and should I even add this? what is it even doing? can it cause harm instead

github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/75ff39ccc1bd5d3c455b6822ab09e533c551f758

underrated post tbh

echo "net.ipv4.tcp_challenge_ack_limit = 999999999" | sudo tee /etc/sysctl.conf 1>/dev/null

Either way just update your kernel to the latest 4.7 already. Download new latest kernel, do mkinitcpio -p linux and update your bootloader and you're done. There's no reason to use lts kernel this time around. Is not like the latest kernel frequently breaks like it used to be few years back.

haha should of use windows. In windows if you want to change something you just click or click copy paste. Not spend time in console or ask forums

Yeah go install newest kernel that will have even more backdoors and boogs that will be exploited for years.

The newer kernel the more bugs, as it's fatter and bigger. And fact that it's developed by amateurs doesn't help.
That's why win 2000/xp is so safe, because it is small and small kernel. And also developed by professionals.

Boot up your wangblows xp vm and count the files in the C:\Windows directory. I'm waiting.

Exactly why they needed to make Windows Vista from scratch.

Top kek

newest updates = newest backdoors, bugs, antifeatures

Oy, easily triggered homo's, don't fucking respond to bait.
It's fucking easy, you don't even have to do anything.

append=synonym of add

Polite off topic sage

Fucking hell, wrong "homos"

What are the odds this will be patched downstream at all? Why the shit should I have to manually patch my system? This is a major bug but the devs don't seem to give a fuck. This is some Windows tier shit.

Not everyone is running 4.7 and don't want to... Ubuntu is currently on 4.4 with no patch in site. Manually patching all of my machines is a fucking joke.

Eat a dick kernel devs.

It was fixed in launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/4.4.0-36.55 you fucking retard, last week.
You didn't have to patch manually either, you could've used the kernel parameter configuration to make it infeasible to exploit.