Whywhywhy

Why do all fucking laptops want to be macbooks now? It makes me sick. I'm sick of thise homosexual design. I want old varying designs of laptops like the old days. Not this buttfucking homo shit.

i go to my local laptop store and all i see everywhere is this bullshit apple design. makes me sick

I'm just trying to find a nice sturday laptop that doesn't look like it wwas built to be handled by soft pink homo hands.

Other urls found in this thread:

hackaday.com/tag/winnebiko/
microship.com/
abandonware-magazines.org/affiche_mag.php?mag=185
gadgetteaser.com/2010/01/21/professionals-still-lament-the-43-laptop/
206.223.147.218/cow/res/218893.html
reddit.com/user/Kutgebruiker9000
8ch.net/wdsc/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CPGvKNuapzY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

T60p 4lyf nigga

WHAT THE MOTHERFUCKING FUCKLORD OF ALL THE FUCKS EVER GIVEN IN THE ENTIRE FUCKING UNIVERSE OF FUCKED-UP FUCKING LAPTOP DESIGNERS IS THIS 

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT WHY DID THIS HAPPEN 

IS THIS A MOTHERFUCKING APPLE WANNABE?!? HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT I REMEMBER SEEING CRAP THREADS DISCUSSING THIS INEVITABLE PIECE OF CRAP AND I FELL ASLEEP EVERY NIGHT PRAYING THAT THESE ASSHOLES WOULD NEVER STOOP TO A LEVEL THIS LOW AND I BELIEVED THESE JEWS LIKE LENOVO AND IT WAS AS IF ALL THE FEATURES ARE MAKING ME FEEL BETTER OF MYSELF AND PROMISE ME THAT IT'S ALL GOING TO BE OKAY TO JUST AT THE END SHOUT AT ME TO FUCK OFF AND FALL OFF A BRIDGE. HOLY SHIT WATCHING THE END OF THIS MADE ME FUCKING SHIT MY PANTS. DO YOU THINK I'LL FALL FOR THE BULLSHIT YOU ASSHOLES KEEP THROWING AT ME QUARTER AFTER QUARTER AFTER QUARTER, RUINING AND TRAMPLING ON THE TECHNOLOGY THAT I USED TO LOVE?! THE FUCK I WOULD, AND I WOULD'VE KNOWING THAT THEY'D NEVER DO THIS. NOTHING AND ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING AS MADE ME MORE PISSED THAN THIS. NOTHING. 

SOMETIMES YOU JUST GOT TO SAY TO YOURSELF AS LIFE THROWS SHIT AT YOUR SORRY-ASS FACE "AM I WILLING TO PUT UP WITH THIS? AM I WILLING TO LIVE ON THROUGH MY CRAPPY-ASS LIFE KNOWING THAT I SUBMIT COMPLETELY TO IT?" WELL HERE'S WHAT I SAY TO THE END OF THIS FUCKING LAPTOP BUSINESS. 

NO. FUCKING NO. 

LENOVO GO FUCKING KILL YOURSELF BECAUSE I AM FUCKING THROUGH WITH THIS DESIGN, THROUGH WITH IT. GOODBYE, MY FUCKED-UP LAP-MEME-SHIT-TOP. GOODBYE, 

Does anyone still make laptops with 4:3 screens? God, how I HATE 16:9.

Maybe those Panasonic Toughbooks? Not sure tho and DGAF because T60p.
Are you me?

Am i viewing this right?

Hey OP take a look

That looks nice (other than win8), I often hit the trackpad with my wrists when typing and it's fucking annoying. Also I hate having my wrists elevated by a hot laptop.

Why make good products when you can ape the "thin is good replacing parts is bad airflow is bad why would you ever need more than 64MB of RAM one single I/O port on a laptop" trend?

Also
Swallow your autism and get a "gaming" laptop. Stronger hardware AND proper form factor.

4:3 is objectively inferior. You are autism.

Damage control harder.

Laptops had decent keyboards once...

>>>/pone/

Normies took over and it went to hell. It's the same thing that happened to Internet (Web 2.0) and anything else they invade.
I had to buy a new laptop this year because my old T61 died, and it's one of those keyboard with 16:9 craptops, because it's all they had, so I just bought the least expensive one with a matte display. Only way I can even use the damn thing is because I have a nice external keyboard.
Every year the entire industry keeps getting more retarded. I've totally lost all hope except that maybe after WW3 we'll go back to real computers like pic.

Another one that's better than anything current. This one could run for a very long time on batteries too.

The winnebiko dude was fond of these old Tandy portable computers.
hackaday.com/tag/winnebiko/
microship.com/

This one is also interesting. It all just folds up on itself for easy portability. Only problem is the screen kinda sucks. It's black on dark green, so can be hard to read. They should have made it more like the Tandy 100.

Used to have that computer when I was about 8, it was pretty cool I wrote an adventure game in basic, and a downhill skiing/driving game (it was just asterix, so whatever, you just had to keep inside the lines of the moving borders basically with other asterix for trees/cars)

Also, that wasn't even the microships final form

so you found out you were autistic from a young age huh?

Yeah it looks perfect for text adventures. Maybe even some puzzle games too.
I didn't have a computer for a long time but one of the magazines I used to read had a monthly column for programmable calculator games (the very old ones like pic).
Of course they had only digits, so you would enter your move and it would spit back some numbers you had to interpret the meaning of, and manually keep track of stuff (graph paper was ideal for map/position related games).
Well I didn't even have a nice calculator like that, so I could only read the magazine and dream about programming. It sounded so cool! I even used to dream there could be a wall that opens on one side of my bedroom and there was a huge mainframe computer in there. That was seriously badass, like Star Trek level stuff.

Someone scanned those old magazines. It's in french btw.
abandonware-magazines.org/affiche_mag.php?mag=185

lenovo thinkpad retro

yes it is odd the blatant copying. i was testing a chromebook pixel in store the other day, it's obviously very similar design

Macbooks are pretty sexy, but I love all kinds of designs.

They were destroyed just like 4:3 monitors. By fucking jews. This is how "capitalism" works: why sell 15" 4:3 when you can sell 15" 16:9, that is 20% smaller and cheaper to make? The fucking normies will think it's same as it says 15" on both of them. Not only that, fucking normies will see 16:9 as "modern", "trendy", good for movies (fucking jewish degeneracy movies). Then after they buy it they will think "shit I need so much scrolling when I browse facebook and kitten pictures website" and then they will go to a shop to buy a new expensive 20" 16:9 laptop/screen, and pay even more for it.
And fucking jewish companies don't need to make software and hardware for people like us, because there is 10 times more of normies and normies are fucking stupid dumb shit and you can sell them crap shit for big price, they are GOYS. Why make good product when you can make good expensive advertisement instead?
Same thing happened with Windows, web browsers, music, cars, everything. In order to have our old times we need to destroy normies, physically, so they are no longer consumers or humans. They need to become skeletons

I just want a vehicle with a carburetor instead of EFI. So much easier to experiment and play around with.

Then you can buy chinese

I don't like the laptops are also coming with touch screens. It is just another thing to go wrong and I also hate windows 10.

Chinkpads are fucking shit, get a real laptop.

I was so jealous of all the business guys who got Thinkpads while me and all the other engineering guys got stuck with these Macs.

I'd be too, provided they were older ones. Newer Thinkpads are almost as bad as Apple, including touchpads and chiclet keys.

Have you guys seen the new trend?
It's called "just put a keyboard on a tablet and call it a day".
Yesteday I went looking for consumer electronics to buy and I saw a few stores doing that, selling the tablets in an upright position with a keyboard like if they were a netbook.
At first I wondered where the touchpad was until I realized.
This is kind of related to the "make everything touch", blurring the limits between tablets and netbooks, and in the end just not using note/netbooks and instead just stocking tablets.
One store wasn't even showing notebooks, only tablets in that position.

you hate 16:9 but what do you think about 16:10

some of the tablet attachments have trackpads and mouse buttons. you can have the whole experience. also, some new dells (which look like a proper laptop, screen ratios aside) have touchscreens, but i havent tested their tablet-like functionality

Tablets pretending to be laptops are fucking garbage. So are (((Windows 10))) tablets.

Not him, but that "muh golden ratio" meme is pretty insulting to people who used 4:3 displays for years and prefer those to all the stuff industry jews have been pushing for the past decade or so.[1]
gadgetteaser.com/2010/01/21/professionals-still-lament-the-43-laptop/

On laptops, I like 14 or 15 inch screens, and when you widen it, you always lose vertical resolution, and that sucks big time unless all you ever do is watch widescreen movies or play modern games. Even old school games or emulating old computer systems is more trouble and less unfulfilling (you get wasted space or stetching).
Since I don't care whatsoever about new movies or games, it's an all around bad deal for me.
Heck, even just trying to run my laptop in text mode feels pretty ridiculous now. It runs OpenBSD, and Unix normally feels natural in text mode, but here is just looks kinda dumb because 80 columns are stretched out by several inches and you have to keep turning your head to read text, whereas before it was all comfortably visible.

1 - Speaking of which, the Internet as a whole has really gone down the tubes around the same timeframe. Coincidence? I think not!

I mean less fulfilling.

Anyway, here have a cool old laptop. Just think, it was once possible to just go to the store and buy something decent like this, pay your cash, walk out, and have fun hacking on sweet laptop.

The worst thing isn't the gayass flat shit design. It's the fact that this kind of design almost always solders as much as possible to the mainboard to make it thinner.
Onboard RAM, how fucking nice.

not using a fucking trackpoint to keep your hands on the home row all the time.

shit typists gonna shit

I've seen them too in the UK. Their prices were also very similar to midrange and some reasonably well spec'd laptop . I really can't see how anyone, even with a low level computer knowledge could see them as a good deal with piss poor storage, and processors which are crippled.

thin 'hip' design is for faggots who can't do anything with computers aside from kikebook, skype, more social retardation ((apps)), netflix, and spotify.

Thin keys, thin boards, thin screen, onboard irreplaceable bullshit.

It just makes shit harder to fix

My hatred with new laptops models is too much that I want to punch these fuckers everytime I see their shit design.

This drives me so fucking mad it's not even funny.
I fucking hate that, and multitouch gestures. Fuck that shit.
Thanks god for free software and older laptops, though.

Calm down.

Well for one, not everything can be achieved by destruction. Try creating something good, you never know it might get popular enough. Software is the most immediate in grasp, but you can also try your hand at repairing/modifying computers/cars/tools etc. Avoid buying the ripoff nustuff so you can save money and get more advanced tools to be able to do better things, like a laser reball station which will let you repair any chip that's soldered on with BGA or likewise. Very expensive(1000s) but will let you be your own master.

Even now it is easy to find.

Want.

Shit's like $3 on eBay.

would launch missiles with / 10

It even has a "BullShit" button!

I feel this way about of much of the technology made these days, especially how every fucking phone is touch screen. Fucking normies ruin everything.

16:9 is great for somethings, but anytime you do work things get unreadably long very quickly.

Other way around actually.

I just want a good keyboard on a laptop for once. I can sacrifice anything else as long as I get that.

What a sad, pathetic existence.

Because gayming is the measuring stick we use for technology these days?

How about this bad boy?

Context in filename. Nice!
How about 1920x1440 instead of 1920x1080? I could live with that.

As much as I detest Microsoft, I have to admit they did something right with these things. The Surface 3 or newer have 3:2 screens, so if you're not allergic to Windows 10, that's something to consider.

You seriously fucking think 16:9 is vertically cropped? Are you retarded? Do you buy DVDs and VHS cassettes that are labeled "fullscreen edition" because you think the original widescreen release is cropped?

See this fucking shallow media consumption shit is what's killing the industry. There are more fucking things to use computers for than watching your jew movies.

Here's the problem: you're thinking of computers as media consumption devices, rather than productivity devices.

Tbh, I prefer 24x80 vga mode on a 16:9 screen. On a 4:3 screen the letters look too steetched vertically and shitty for my tastes.

What do you mean, 16:9 isn't cropped? If you take a 4:3 monitor and a 16:9 one, you'll be able to see more vertically on the 4:3 but less horizontally. Clearly. So it is effectively cropped because 4:3 is more compatible with how humans see things, but 16:9 looks more sleek and techy, yeah.

Indeed, that's the truth about the widescreen scam: people think they are getting MORE of the horizontal, but what they are actually getting is LESS of the vertical.

And I must add...

I hate this shit. Web pages and most documents are vertical. I have to move any toolbars or whatnot to the left to be able to see more than a paragraph at the time.

I remember in the early 2000's there were business notebooks with high resolution screens with reasonable aspect ratios. I mean, resolutions that you have to pay out the ass for today, and probably cant even get that aspect ratio. God damn could those notebooks rock a spreadsheet.

Trying to get work done on a desktop or laptop today can be like trying to run a marathon with lead weights on your ankles. It's like every new design decision is carefully thought out "How can we further destroy productivity and infuriate our customers"

To expand on this:

I don't even want to think about it, but everywhere I look people are being fucked by questionable design choices, and when it gets doubled down on in the next gen, it seems like it's intentional. You are no longer supposed to produce information or media, please just consume

Look at the Panasonic Let's Note series (10.1",12.1",12.5",14") on Rakuten Global.

That reminds me, the last good laptop keyboard I used was on a Thinkpad R51e that I used at work. Even my own T61 was worse, due to all these extra "Windows" and whatever else keys that I always end up hitting by mistake instead of Alt or Control. The layouts just kept getting more and more retarded, to the point where now I *have* to use my own external keyboard so I can actually code in relative peace. Of course there's still the problem of that lame 16:9 display, and I don't think you can even buy a standalone 4:3 LCD anymore. Heck, I was at local electronics store the other day and asked about buying a 4:3 flatscreen TV they had mounted on the wall, and they said "Haha, no sir that's for our store use, we only sell these ones over here." (points to shelf full of crap widescreen shits that I don't give a fuck about).

Go back to Holla Forums, kid.

>>>/oven/

Read the image, it isn't cropped. It's comparing two rectangles of different aspect ratios but identical areas. 4:3 aligns with human field of vision much more closely than 16:9.

Techguy here. If these faggots wanted to fag their notebooks up like Mac they could at least go all the way and install a layer of gorilla glass on it.

I'm sick and tired of stripping away the glued on bezel to replace the flimsy ultra-thin lcd that breaks because there's no fucking protection on it.

Sure we can change the entire lcd module but it just raises the cost unnecessarily.

Coming soon.

We're going backwards.

Well, we already are getting back into the mainframe age, so it makes lots of sense.

what about using a tablet with a keyboard dock, but if you could use the tablet vertically.

like if you had 16:9 / 16:10 / 3:2 tablet but use it vertically so you get all that vertical space for coding?? And then put arch on it and use it all keyboard, so obviously I don't mean ipad, pic related is the first image result.

What tablets even allow that?

Well pretty much all keyboards suck now, like I said
At this point, I'm probably better off to just buy a really old laptop for cheap. R51 is perfect, but I also used R40 and T30, and those were nice too. Of course it gets to the point where you have to learn to do your own repairs (more than just simply swap components) but unless the industry starts unfucking itself, I don't see any real alternative.
Also, I want OpenBSD. It's too dangerous now for me to run other OS. The 90's didn't seem so outright hostile on Internet.

Pic is T30. On the plus side, it also has real serial & parallel ports. Only USB 1 though, but maybe a cardbus solution can upgrade it to USB 2. Otherwise it's kinda slow for copying lots of stuff to external disk, but I could still manage better than with shitty modern laptop ergonomics.

fucking jews are so arrogant that they even tell us what to buy, and what we should like

This reads like one of those posts made with the intention of screencapping it and posting it on tumblr/reddit/halfchan/etc to start yet another "haha Holla Forums amirite guise?" circlejerk

i have in mind surface pro 3

my daily driver is 10 years old from sony. runs hot, usb 2.0, some parts starting to wear considerably, battery lasts about 1.5 hours, hardware virtualization is disabled by manufacturer with no option to re-enable in bios.

i kinda want to upgrade. i'm hoping the thinkpad retro comes out soon. meme-specs so far are sounding okay.
>16:10 screen or maybe / possibly / hopefully 3:2 or probably not 4:3

if it lives up to the memes it should be comfy

From the first pic, seems to be a 3:2.

Apparently Aussie50 has one. Cool thing anyhow.

Do what he says, faggot.

On topic: CF-19 or go home.

Pic related is my 19 Mk5 from last year.

>>>/reddit/
>>>/tumblr/
>>>/out/

you're literally a diaper wearing faggot, reddit using piece of shit, and likely a cp poster based on search results and degenerate fetishes

206.223.147.218/cow/res/218893.html

reddit.com/user/Kutgebruiker9000

8ch.net/wdsc/index.html

you already posted this on gentoowiki, fuck off. you are not a special or unique snowflake.

I wish I had money to buy a macbook :( Hate living in a poor coutry

Hey, this tard uses Google!

Stay mad.

wew
fucking saved to post on /cow/ later

Looks better than modern laptop, but keyboard isn't as good as the R51e
I especially hate all the extra keys they jam in between Control and Alt these days. Always end up hitting those by mistake. Even my T61p (by Lenovo, not IBM) had those stupid keys.

Macbook design is literally the best design you fag

You forgot your namefag, Makisie.

Ewww, gross. I have never owned a Mac. I went into a Mac store once back in the early 90s but didn't buy anything because it was all shit.

I'm an attention-whoring faggot who thinks my opinions have to be tied to a pseudonym in a sea on anonymity.

I just wanted to reiterate that I do indeed suck extrordinary amounts of dick.

you can install GNU/linux on most x86 tablets but will probably have problems with touch screen firmware.

What do you think about this design?

Also anyone who sells or buys laptops with off-center trackpads should be gassed.

Adorable. I miss apple's old grey powerbook designs. The Wallstreet G3 was so fucking sexy.

I like the keys, the screen is shit and small.
The buttons on the screen half is shit.
Trackball is shit, but understandable in old machines.
Buttons should be side to side, not one below the trackball, where am I supposed to rest my wrist if not?

Imagine how much awesome modern hardware we could cram into those fucking cases without having to worry about insane millimeter size reductions to get your meme selling point body width.

Only business class laptops look like that now.

Because the macbook lineup is the only growing category out there. Say what you will, it's the moronic average man that steers what industry sells.

Fuck off you unbearable faggot

Ha, this is great, it only took nine months for someone to fake being me since I don't trip. That's some real L337 shit right there.

user I am losing my sides.

Get a panasonic toughbook and you can run it over with your car.

The future is here, are you shitlord misogynerds ready for the Yoga Book?

Don't get too angry just because the world is marching forwards while all of you are stuck in the past with backwards preferences ;^)

I dunno, I think wider aspect ratios are better due to our eyes being like 2:1

what's bad about that? looks neat
love the edge btfw tbqfh

That's just as bad as no keyboard at all. It's basically identical to using touchscreen. Ok for light occasional use, but not good for programming or all-day work.

The shape of the eye is a red herring they use to justify their cost-savings, i.e. a marketting ploy. With equivalent diagonal screen size (the measurement used in hardware specs), the widescreen (be it 16:10 or 16:9) is always shorter than the old 4:3 shape that was used for decades, before they cut so many corners that selling screens with smaller surface area was one way to make profit.
Also, you'll just end up scrolling up/down more in webpages and other documents, and your eye can't easily scan long lines that use the entire width of the monitor anymore like it was possible before. Now it's a lot easier to lose your place in the text, unless the text is formatted in columns (but that's rare), or unless you use more narrow window (but then you don't get full benefit of the screen you paid for).

That's the crux of it all really. Since 2007 computers have been shifting away from being production machines and towards being consumption machines.

There is no such thing as a decent laptop anymore. If you want to do anything at all your only option is to use old, increasingly underpowered hardware, or never leave the basement and use a self-assembled desktop. Even THAT is becoming less of an option because they're starting to lock down individual hardware components like your CPU to the latest version of Windows.

Unless something big changes, and soon, the use of computers as production machines is going to die out.

In fact, the human eyesight visual angle is 155°h x 120°v. That is a ratio of, guess what? Almost perfectly 4:3.

This looks good as a concept except for the hideous coloring on the Thinkpad logotype.

I'm sure Lenovo will price it out of the realm of reason to avoid the model's sales cannibalizing the rest of their uninspired shit.

jews gonna jew

They have to copy Apple in order to show their retarded shareholders that they're growing as a company. They have to stay current and with the times by making everything overpriced, underpowered, and thin.

If it's a 3:2 or 4:3 I will buy 10

Not kidding

Stay out you fucking homosexual kike

newsflash: humans have two eyes

I'm guessing they don't allow linux to be installed easily, right?

Are there even any linux distros that have decent touch support out of the box?

Exactly
The fucking normie dumb piece of shit even thinks that 16:9 15" laptop is better than 4:3 14", because the first one:
-"is bigger", as 15" > 14", right?
-is "MODERN"
-is perfect for MODERN movies and interactive movies (also called games)
-is named WIDEscreen (not shortscreen), so it has to be WIDER than old 4:3 14", right? WIDER = BETTER

Then fucking normie uses his shit laptop and thinks, "oh I need to scroll facebook so much, maybe I need 17" or 20" laptop? Let's throw out the old one, the windows was working slow anyway, let's buy new one"

Not sure if I more hate jews or normies

The jews don't want you to work or produce anything at home. Instead if you want anything you should pay them and they will work it for you for big money.
We are expected to be brainwashing movie eaters, not people who think or work on anything at home. And if you work at home on your personal projects, you have less time to work for jews in jewcompanies. At home you should only eat fat jewburgers and watch jewmovies.

That's a pretty flimsy point. Most movies of the last 60 years have at the very least allowed for matted widescreen in some capacity. This "widescreen scam" doesn't really apply to anyone buying their computer with a focus on movies.

You forgot

One is not simply "allergic" to cyanide, user.

Wallstreet G3 you say?

concave clitmouse is best clitmouse

I got a Thinkpad w520 from advice from the gentoo wiki. Is it shit or not?

You guys should check out 51nb's X62 (an X61 retrofitted with Broadwell) and associated upcoming mods. It's a great option if the Retro ThinkPad is a disappointment.

I have a W520, and it was my primary computer for years while I was moving around all over. It's the last chinkpad to be "close enough" to the original thinkpads. I have no regrets. There are some gotchas though.

It's a perfectly solid machine, and as long as you realize that it's a workstation laptop, meaning it's more of a portable computer than something you'd carry all day at college trying to take notes or something, you'll be happy too.

It does more than a laptop can really be expected to, but it will never beat a desktop in the same price category.
My model has the discrete graphic card, and while it's not that impressive at any modern 3d games, it can handle 3d modelling programs just fine.
Note that it has an early type of "switchable graphics", mean theoretically means it uses the integrated gpu as default, and the discrete gpu for specified programs, saving energy and heat. In reality it's a software/hardware vender clusterfuck that only works fine in certain scenarios. If you are trying to get it working under some linux, then you better hope someone else already figured out how to make thinks perfect and posted a tutorial.

If you are new to thinkpads, do yourself a favor and remember that the keyboard and mouse nubs are meant to be replaced after they wear out. Under my past heavy use I'd go through a mouse nub every 6-9 months, and a keyboard every two years.

Having a SSD as the OS drive and 8-16gb of ram will also keep it up to speed, unless you are a religious minimalist. This basically goes for any computer nowdays.

Color calibrate the screen. The LCD options were... adequate for the time, but they all seem to be way too blue by default. Adjust the settings and save your eyes.

Oh, I almost forgot something important. You would do well to replace the thermal paste, even if it's "new". Heat is the single biggest problem for the W520, and it's mostly because lenovo fucked up with whatever worthless shit they used. I went from 70C idle (any sort of load would throttle my CPU), down to 45C by taking off the old paste, giving the surfaces a quick polish, and using IC Diamond. Lots of people had this problem.
See video on how to do so: youtube.com/watch?v=CPGvKNuapzY

Thanks!