Comic movie/show discussion

So, we got a lot of news on comic based movies, lets discuss them and the comics that will be adapted. This will be different than the other threads because we're going to keep on board topic, and ALL POLITICS WILL BE LEFT AT THE DOOR.

I'll try to start us off with the trailers I know about at the moment, add any that I miss. First up is the new Dr. Strange trailer. How many people here are big fans of Dr. Strange, and what do you expect and want from his movie? Feel free to share pages or even storytime relevant stuff (goes for all other trailers as well). If you are unfamiliar with a character, just ask, don't make wild assumptions.

For the Justice League trailer, how do you all feel about the plot elements we see so far? Did you want more action, or do you think it was best to focus on the character interactions?

I'm not actually familiar with the modern Wonder Woman origin, but this is more in line with her more classic origins, correct? I'm sure there are more informed fans here than myself, but does anything you all see here remind you of any particular runs?

We got Netflix shows coming up, next one will be Luke Cage. Certainly has a different feel to the fight shown to any of Daredevil's fights, as Luke gives no fucks to bullets.

A very short first look for Iron Fist. I'm not amazingly familiar with Danny, but maybe I'll read some old Power Man and Iron Fist comics before the show hits. Any particular suggestions on other runs to focus on?

And just a teaser for Defenders. The voice over from Stick indicates that it'll pick up directly from plot elements in Daredevil.

kys

Agents of Shield season 4 will apparently have a big focus on Ghost Rider, which I think nearly everyone will welcome. What have you all thought of the show so far, if you watched it?

There was behind closed doors Spiderman Homecoming footage, but it hasn't leaked or been released to my knowledge.

There is also a final trailer for Suicide Squad released a bit ago, but I hear it is full of spoilers, and the movie come out in less than two weeks anyway.

As I said, feel free to add in things I missed. For shows that are on now, how do you feel they are doing at adapting the comics?

Needs more ELF WITH A GUN.

Ya know… I wasn't sure what you meant, so I looked up "Defenders Elf" and… well, it's exactly what I expected. Which is actually more confusing than if it was somehow more complicated. It's just an elf… with a gun.

I kinda fucking hate Agents of Shield, but I keep watching it. I don't even know if it's a "guilty pleasure" because I am mostly amazed at how long it took for anything to happen. With Ghost Rider getting introduced, it finally feels like the show might start being the show I assumed it would be when it was announced. Til now though, most of it has been boring and lackluster.

The final scene with the villain of last season was actually amazing though, a nice quiet moment of him accepting death and having a quiet moment with that electric guy before they both blew up but they'll have to really improve to keep me that interested.

i dont like cabbagepatch, but i think he's a good choice for dr strange.

casting is done poorly for aquaman and flash i think. aren't they both blondes? It's weird when dc did a good job with batman and superman actors, but they just do whatever they want with others, like luthor. Might just not watch the dc movies until shazam, THE ROCK as black adam was a good choice

Considering the existing interactions seem to lack any chemistry and are dull as fuck, I'd have liked for them to at least show some conflict. As it stands the trailer is incredibly anti-hype.

Doctor Strange looks alright, but that fractal-y effect they came up with is really over-used in just that one trailer, and I sincerely hope that they have others visual effects in store for different kinds of magic, instead of just trying to make everything look like a trippy Magic Eye poster.

I agree with both of you on Dr. Strange. I was never head over heels for Benderbatch Cumberbun, but I was happy when I heard he got the role because he seems like a good fit. And while the effect is neat… yeah, I don't want it to be used so much that it feels common place. I want to see a lot of trippy shit.

Exactly. It needs to be trippy in all kinds of ways, not just in the "wooooOOOoo! Look at this repeating texture moving around!" kind of way that they've shown.

The massive unfurling and curling cityscape gives me hope, though.

fuck you. don't tell me what to do cunt. where do you think you are?

looks shit. too much bad humor

that villain part was pretty cool.
no more villain or heroics. just the acceptance of death

fuck off

It's just for the announcement. I'm sure they'll make the actual skull look decent in the show. If they're smart, they'll make the skull part cgi and part real. They can and should use a repurposed Watchdog helmet since it's heavily similar to the skull of the Ghost Rider they're using.

I like how the villain was kinda like "I was just doing what I thought was right" and the other guy was like "Yeah, I know." No hard feelings, just sharing that moment of understanding before the end. While at it's core, Inhumans aren't as interesting as mutants, they did some good stuff with setting up their point of view. Though I have to wonder why they still all feel they have a divinely ordained purpose, a fate, if they know they're just Kree experiments. The Kree aren't gods, not even in the way the Asgardians are "gods". They're just blue assholes from space.

I assume we'll see them open the floodgates of pure supernatural stuff now, since they had to wait until Dr. Strange came around before they could really explore that.

The fact that they're putting this above every new movie logo tells me they really want to be seen as separate from Ike's Marvel

Trailer for Legion, the new Fox/Marvel X-Men TV show.

Gotham season 3 trailer.

I only watched a few episodes of this, so I have no idea what's going on.

Lego Batman trailer. I kinda forgot it was going to be a thing, but it'll probably make more money than any other movie in this thread.

If it's anything like the first Lego movie, it'll be okay.

The trailer is idiotic, because about 10 seconds of it at the end is new footage.

So almost all of it is shit I'll see in season 2, if I get around to watching it?

I assume there will be a real trailer later then.

It's weird using that distinction when they're all technically "Marvel"

I have no idea how to feel about this except a vague disinterest. I don't know much about Legion, but I also have no idea what kind of show this is, just based on the trailer.

Hell, I'm a lot more interested in knowing what Fox gave Marvel to get the tv rights. I'm hoping it involved just giving the FF back to them, and we'll here about that in the future. Which is still a good deal for Fox, even if this show is a flop, because no one was going to trust them with FF after the shitfest that was Fant4stic.

It seems to be a Sony/Marvel-style deal, since they couldn't figure out who had the rights to a live-action X-Men show

Will be worth seeing just for the densely packed visual gags that come with everything being made of lego.

That's true. The little bit with all the batsuits was pretty good.

well, its moslty capeshit, so, who cares?

I dropped it after season 2. It was boring and I couldn't handle it. I might watch season 4 if it gets better

Stop with the samefag maymays

so, when will the superhero fad die?

and whats next?

Giant monsters?

There's nothing about this that isn't funny.

They're already pushing for a Kaiju cinematic universe, so maybe.

It's been on at Marvel for nearly a decade, user, and superheroes were popular before that.

DC will give up eventually. Or get sick of Snyder being an incompetent fuck. Marvel will be around for a looooooooooong time with their movies. Comics may as well be gone though. Real shit right now.

And yes, Kaiju are the next big thing for Hollywood. They're already starting to expand Legendary's Godzilla by adding Kong in the same universe. They got a comic going, the trailer dropped like yesterday or the day before, and the Godzilla vs King Kong movie has been in planning for a while. It's the age of Kaiju, man.

It will last until Marvel runs out of shitty quips and bad cgi. It can't end soon enough. Once the movie bubble pops, we will finally be free of capeshit because the comics only continue to exist because of the movies now.

I've always prefferd inhumans to mutants.
Mutants were your common super powered human, you saw them often.
But inhumans had a different culture, were utterly alien to understand and were a rarity because of their isolation.
When they got involved shit was real.
Now their just everywhere, they're boring mutants

best trailer yet

fuck off

wot

Agreed. I loved how completely different their culture is. Having them used sparingly was always best.

Mostly agree, but I think DC will keep trying. Even if they fuck this batch of movies up entirely, they'll slowly change stuff up, or rely more on their tv/animation. Even if superhero movies started failing hard tomorrow, they're planned out for the next five years, they'll try at least a while longer just to recoup the cost they put into things. But they won't fall apart tomorrow, people will keep trying them out.

Kaiju coming back is fucking amazing though, and the Kong trailer looks great. As long as they keep the most interesting actors ALIVE for more than 15 minutes of the movie, it'll have learned one of the biggest lessons they need to learn from Godzilla.

I don't see other falling away much. Both are big action movies, and Hollywood is always going to want to make big action movies, and established franchises are safer bets for them. Fuck, they're making a new Blair Witch, so pretending Hollywood has few original ideas left is an understatement. Comics will keep being used for movies because the entire medium is full of ideas that have been tested to one degree or another.

Also the inhumans had fucking BLACK BOLT.

He's so goddamn cool.

I can't wait til the Inhumans movie comes out. Then it'll probably also reset the comic Inhumans closer to the old status quo and bring Black Bolt back. I'm not even sure why he's gone now.

Some part of this and the LEGO movie's humor speaks to my inner child in a way that doesn't just feel childish.
The humor's basically 'lol so randumb xD' but yet it just feels so satisfying, rather than cringey.

glad to see the resurrection of the kaiju movies.

As long as the Ancient One remains an asexcual white thing, I couldn't care less about the movie.
Keep to the source material or leave it be.

Well, nothing is set in stone. I don't know what he'd actually be like if he did play a serious, silent role.

What is Agents of SHIELD about anyway? any important character int he series? I just thought it just fought generic superpowered villains.

Who is inside the defenders?

Well Luke Cage is inside Jessica Jones.

But seriously it's Iron Fist, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. Presumably with Stick as their Fury stand-in.

Weren't the Defenders the happy group of freaks lead by Doctor Strange? Seriously, sometimes comics make no sense.

The comic group was. But the team was full of characters they can't use in the movies.

So

How bout Superman

Coming back for no raisin with the same old costume.

AoS of is mostly about wasting time between movies. But it started out as Coulson leading a team to fight a mystery badguy, but then the badguy is Hydra. Then they have to deal with some inhumans and one of the characters goes through the inhumans transition. When Hydra worships and ancient inhuman, so they got to deal with Hydra Inhumans. And now… Ghost Rider? Maybe we'll see other things like vampires and shit, leading into Blade getting a show down the line.

It more or less is a show that tries to be interesting, but took a season for characters to get remotely okay, and has to dance around the movie schedule. Sam Jackson showed up like twice though, and sometimes they can snag Cobie Smulders. I don't even care that much about Maria Hill, but damn the things I would do to that woman… oh, if you haven't watched the show so far, I can't promise it's worth it now. But it might be okay to hope into to see Ghost Rider, and it's slow pace enough that you should get the gist of who people are.

I see… anyway, is the netflix universe the same to the regular marvel universe?

Also, a little unrelated, wasn't Frank Castle also a former cop besides a vietnam veteran? I could swear the original Punisher mention the fact of being a cop frequently.

Yeah, a lot of little things in Daredevil and Jessica Jones relate in a minor way to the events of Avengers (Hell's Kitchen was hit heavily during the attack). I think the Frank being a cop thing is mostly from the movies, unless I'm just forgetting things. Which I don't think I really liked, because if his family is killed because he was too good a cop, there is a purpose to it. I really prefer it being completely meaningless due to wrong place, wrong time. The version introduced in Daredevil is not a cop at all.

I know that, is just that I miss the time where Frank was a cop with just some vietnam PTSD background, but now it is all about being a soldier and not about him being someone who's family got killed and wants the ultimate punishment for criminals.

He was never a cop in the comics IIRC, it was the Dolph Lundgren and Thomas Jane films that said that.

in theory although I'm pretty sure the references and nods run one direction only, even the Netflix show don't coordinate with the other shows at all

the second season of Daredevil was pretty bleh anyway, Jessica Jones was surprisingly well done considering it is the single most SJW television show I have ever seen

I would like it if this turned out well but I feel like it won't somehow

You know what was cool? Heisei Gamera.

What are you talking about, that was Frank Miller as all shit! Did you see all dos NINJAS? And Punisher and Elektra were great. I think it was the best of the batch so far.
Seriously? That was not SJW. You could argue that is was feminist, sure, but not exactly a glowing review of women. The women in that fucked up all the time, including fucking eachother over. With Jessica being the biggest fuck up of them all. It was good, but some of my friends actually just stopped watching because Jessica was too frustrating a character.

are you high?

Mary Sue? She's a fucking drunk! And she fucked up catching Kilgrave like a dozen times! She gets DOZENS of people killed, horribly, due to her stubbornness

Did you actually watch the show?

The action was fucking awful. Nothing felt like it connected. Punisher looked like a fucking shaved gorilla while Elektra was dumb was always. She's not an interesting character or love interest in any way.

That's okay, you're entitled to your shit opinion, even if it differs from mine and anyone else with an ounce of taste

Did the Cloak and Dagger series die reproduction? I haven't heard of it for months.

I hope it did because the description made it sound like a terrible romance series instead of the grim reaper and his friend with ridiculous cleavage going around beating up drug dealers

The original, before he was Bendis's self insert (fucker) and made generic action man instead of a comedic 80s incarnate (For example: Original Luke Cage is so afraid of his grandmother he won't swear, Bendis!Luke Cage swears all the time)

I only vaguely recall mention of it a long time ago, so it might be dead. Was it Netflix or a network show?

Yeah, most of the time anything except Bendis is a smart place to start.

It was a network show. That much I remember.

I don't expect any more network Marvel shows for a long time. The AoS spinoff was shitcanned, and I think networks know they're not getting the good stuff. And with Supergirl not doing good on whatever, and going to the WB, I think we'll see nothing but DC on the WB, and almost nothing but Marvel on Netflix.

That seems to go for every character he writes for.

i guess you're not excited for the gamera reboot then.

When does that come out? Not the user you were talking to, but I'm curious.

i'm not entirely sure i think it's sometime in 2016 or 2017. I know they intended it for the 50th anniversary and they released a trailer for it at comic con.

i want to elaborate it was the 2015 comic con they released it not the one for this year.

Punisher was FRANK as fuck during the whole thing.

Guy they chose for Flash doesn't fit the role at all. Surprisingly, even Wonder Woman looks better than Justice League. Besides, what is up with Batfleck giving away his identity?

That thing is still going? Skull looks pretty bad. I also heard that they were looking for hispanic actor, so Ghost Rider might be Jamie Reyes from current Felipe Smith's run, which is probably the best "All-New, all-different" Marvel book.

Agreed. Good old Ditko's trippy space/dimension adventures would be good, but movie footage itself looks not too bad so far, pointless race swapping aside. I would prefer Jon Hamm as Strange, but it turns out Cumberbatch works too, at least in trailers.

They can be. Back in the day it used to be Mob films, then Westerns, gangster films again in 70s, then 80s over the top action films, romcoms in the 90s and early 2000s, and now we have superheroes.

When exactly did those go away? The over the top action movies are comic movies a lot now.

I admit crime and westerns are not overwhelmingly everywhere, but there isn't really a reason to stop doing comic movies. Because, even the comics Marvel and DC do aren't all one genre. Iron Man isn't the same as Thor, and neither are really the same type of movie as the Avengers movies. If you just break it down, most of them are "contemporary action movies with fantastical elements", except the ones that are period pieces like Captain America 1 and Wonder Woman.

The only things that held comic book moves back as long as they were was that special effects could DO most things in comic books without looking like shit and Hollywood's fear that people couldn't handle the brightly colored costumes. Both those problems are handled now, so no real reason to stop making the films. The only reason they'd fail is if everyone started pouring shitty ones out all at the same time. Which could happen someday, but won't be for a long while.

Here's a video, Hitler.

Looks better than both the US and JP remake of Godzilla.

And I can actually see shit.

Sorry, but that's not my Gamera. Might as well call it "Attack of the Giant Turtle" or something because they obviously don't understand the character at all.

this one has a lot of them together
daredevil s3
luke cage
iron fist
defenders

Cgi's kinda crappy but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested.

the cgi is absolute shit
still gonna watch it tho

You obviously didn't see the later ones, like Advent of Legion, which had awesome battles and monster designs, which made me wonder why Godzilla is so hyped and Gamera isn't.
All you need is a jet-turtle.

It's not shitty… but maybe too playful and anime-ish for a live action movie.

The thing that really bothers me about Lego movies are some of the "Impossible" minifig poses. Granted, I'm just nitpicking, but trying to move a normal figure's arms like they do in the trailer would break them, because they spin on one axis. I completely understand why they do this, however, because it gives more life to the animation, making the characters more fluent and lively.

I also like how they intended it to look like a stop motion movie, while being CG. Reminds me of the lego shit i used to watch on early youtube.

thanks, hopefully the actual movie won't have cringy dialogue.

PROTIP: criminals are a superstitious and cowardly lot

disguise yourself as a ghost with a pointy head to exploit this

Also

MYTH: killing them will make you just like them

FACT: it won't

Scram, Frank.