Rome

I just finished watching Rome, this was just incredible.

I have only good words to say about this show, it's writers and the great actors and effort put into making the locations actually look like Rome. I need something similar to this. And by that I mean something without cucked nu-male writers, and with a ton of effort put into the script and good actors. I saw that a lot of people recommend Spartacus, Vikings, Deadwood as other great shows. If you enjoyed Rome a lot like me what did you also enjoy? Help me pick my next show please.

Also, Pullo and Vorenus are bro-tier, still friends and honorable to each other after all the shit they've gone through. Cezar did nothing wrong. Atia was a bitch but turned out to be the best woman character. Cleopatra had great hips.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Rome-Complete-Collection-Kevin-McKidd/dp/B002FC89OA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scipio_Africanus
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also is game of thrones any good, and by good I mean does it have strong writing and no propaganda to sell me? I avoided it for quite a while because I know the creator is a huge cuck.

I bet they have a bunch of pretentious fucking British accents for no reason too despite the fact Old English hadn't even invented yet.

You're joking, right?

Yeah, why don't they use authentic Latin accents?

Name a better alternative you nigger. Having a bunch of italians play them?

There always has to be that guy who dismisses an entire show because of a minor thing. Italians looked worse, like some arabs mixed with jews and whites. Why does it even matter to you? The important part is that they're white and not some WE WUZ guys.

Joking about what you passive aggressive fuck?

It gets worse with every season. But the first 3 seasons are ok. Especially the civil war storyline. I didn't care much about the fantasy D&D elements. As for propaganda, there are stronk womyns, faggots, and muh slavery.

The show started pretty good then it slowly went downhill as it gained more critical success.

Watch Deadwood instead.

Are you autistic or just this dumb?

They should use authentic American accents because this show is made by and for Americans. Tired of this British crap in my old period movies, it doesn't make any fucking sense.

I hope that this won't appear too often…

I'm gonna download that. Sad thing though is that people say it doesn't have a proper ending because it was cancelled. At least Rome tried a bit to tie loose ends, some of them.

I will not reply to you anymore, you made 2 completely useless posts.

HBO fucked the series over. If they hadn't smooshed seasons 2 and 3 together it would be up there with I Claudius.

Trust me man, I really wished that it would last longer than 22 episodes. I just can't understand how someone who was in charge of funding the show looked at it and said, "This isn't profitable." He just cancelled some of the best shows made, greedy assholes.

There are rumors about a miniseries ordered by HBO and written by Milch.

That was talked about years ago, and honestly the idea was kinda lame.

He wanted Vorenus and Pullo to go meet Jesus, but the problem is they'd be way too fucking old. The dates don't add up for two soldiers in Gaul under Julius Caesar would be around for when Jesus was 33 years old.

I was talking about Deadwood, not Rome.

Oh, sorry. I know they talked about it years ago but it never happened. Did they start talking it up again?

If you love Rome, you should also make sure to check out the pop up historical facts in the DVD collection. They show you how much went into the set pieces being historically accurate and information on Ancient Roman culture such as the Aventine Hill when it's mentioned in the show. Fucking amazing shit.

Another recommendation I have is West World. That's a great fucking show and I love Ed Harris "Man in Black" and Anthony Hopkins "Dr. Ford" in it.

Right now holding my judgement on Taboo. It looks solid thus far… has minor "fat" (story arcs that isn't as relevant) but again its hard to judge with 4 or five episodes in.

John Adams is a good mini-series for a biopic. Frankly, I wish it was more involved in the Revolution but I may have to check out Turn to get my fix on that.

Game of Thrones is fun to watch at where I started. Which was at season 3 because of all the butthut GoT fans had for the first 2 seasons. But its getting kind of retarded at this point. Not because of the magic or anything like that. Seems the show is crashing into where the books last ended before the next release and GRRM and the show creators got themselves into a fucking crash.

GRRM should have doubled down on not just writing the book for the creators to work off of, but to give him time to make it good. Now it feels like a mess. People were hyped about certain things, they didn't end up in the show, and its now just… spaghetti.

I really do want to see the making of that show, what DVD collection are you talking about though? This, amazon.co.uk/Rome-Complete-Collection-Kevin-McKidd/dp/B002FC89OA apparently only has the episodes, no bonus content.

I searched for 'Rome making off' or 'Bonus video' but I just got random youtube clips. Does the bonus episode have a name that I can google? By the way, imagine how awesome it would had been to actually be an actor there. To walk through that realistic set. I wonder if they still kept the sets, I wish to one day visit that and imagine myself as I were in Rome.

Ah yes, West World. Completely forgot about it, must be because Holla Forums was not talking about it recently. That show and Deadwood I will watch then, both seem pretty damn great. I'll look up at Taboo too after I finish these. Thanks for the recommendations.

As for game of thrones this seems to be a bit controversial, so I think I just have to watch that myself and see what the fuss is all about. I just hope that the writer being an outspoken shillary fan did not try to cuck the shit out of characters.

Bran would need a hip replacement by then.

Anyways guys, so far I have Deadwood and Westworld as the next shows. After that I'll see what's up with Taboo, GoT, Spartacus, Vikings.

Mine were season packs. So I had season 1 with the cover of a Roman (Lucious?) from behind to show a bloody street, and season 2 with a chick cover. Hopefully that pack would, but you need to ask. It's basically like seeing the show again, but with the feature of pop up texts explaining shit like why the orator always moves his hands when making news announcements to the plebs, The romans bathed in oil instead of water as Anthony scrapes off the liquid in his bath, the meaning and magnitude of the curse Sevilllia used with her hands and fingers in their position and why Atia really shat bricks about it, and etc. Adds a way new level appreciation to the show. It'd like Pop Up Video from MTV with factoids. They didn't just write the show, it's actually a teaching or expose of how Romans lived as historians and archeologist know so far.

And there are A LOT of facts. So the feature is its own value after you have watched the show.

I mean as soon as he knew they were going to make the show. Stop fucking acting like a celeb and finish it. He is shit at his job, fucking editors can help with grammar and cleaning it up once it is ready to launch with a hungry fanbase loving the HBO show.

there were lots of black Romans. they even had a black emperor: Scipio Africanus

Kek on that we wuz

I, Claudius was passingly mentioned in this thread, but I'll recommend it directly.

explain this statue, then

Your bait game is weak.

stay triggered, whiteboi

Africanus is Scipio's honorary cognomen he gained after he had wrecked Hannibal's shit during the Second Punic War.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scipio_Africanus

cheap fucks tbh

The emperor's successor got just an old worn nickname too. Romans sure were cheapskates.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried

Roman virtue isn't based off how much money you had, it was based off honor and deeds done. For example Marcus Crassus. The richest man in Rome and perhaps history. He was not considered a great man by most of Rome because he became rich by being a landlord. He never truly accomplished anything. After Rome was divided up with the first triumvirate, he was given rule over the Eastern third so he could try to expand the empire that way (and win honor and glory for himself and his family). All he ended up doing was getting himself and his army completely slaughtered.

Yet their social classes were rigidly based on the value of one's property. Shitty plebs could become high ranking equites or even senators if the jewed enough.

apart from the kangs meme white females having intercourse with virile black males was a popular theme in roman art

God punished those degenerate cucks.

no no, Sultan Mehmet was merely a servant of God

This bait comes in great many forms.

I was talking about Vesuvius, not some goat fucker.

Mehmet was the one who dealt the killing blow

It might convince the neets here, but certainly not me.

Considering the material, you did pretty well.

Thank you! Here, take these roman themed kinos as tokens of my esteem.

are you me?
just finished the last episode, Brutus is a fucking moron and should've rexognized what his actions would do after killing Caesar, Servilia should have been grateful that Caesar even took notice of her never mind fucking her, typical women,

they dump you - lets be friends instead
you dump them - oh thats a nice life you have there would be a shame if someone ruined it?

I really hated Brutus. For me one great thing in life is honor, how much are you willing to stick to your ideals and do what's right even if it's the hard thing to do. Vorenus was an incredible display of that, he stayed with Marc until he became a piece of shit because that's what he said he'd do. His friendship with Pullo despite all the hard things they went through made me tear up. That is what being a true man and a good person is to me.

Now, Brutus? He was a piece of shit of a man. Caesarforgave Brutus even if he left him for Pompey. I imagine most generals back then would kill your or imprison you or something for running away with the enemy. Caesar not only forgave him but he said that they should forgave that it even happened. The only small thing he asked Brutus was to leave for one year so people would calm down and stop accusing Brutus of being a traitor. But no, Brutus had to take that as an insult despite running with Pompey and not trusting Caesar. He was manipulated by his bitch mother and other cunts who had done nothing for him.

He betrayed a friend and killed a consul like he was a dog. If I was Brutus I couldn't live with myself after that. Seeing your friend stabbed 20+ times in front of you because he might be a tyrant in the future, even if he wasn't one at the moment. God I fucking hate Brutus, I can only imagine how Caesar would feel when even Brutus would stab him. His actor is really really good, makes you hate the character even more. And his mother is such a bitch, fucked up everything because Caesar wouldn't pound her pussy. Fucking women. I've heard that in the game Dante's Inferno, Brutus is eternally being chewed or something.

That last scene with how Vorenus was distracted and they attacked Caesar like a dog was just amazing. And that scene where Pullo went in the arena… I knew that Pullo wasn't perfect, he did kill people for nothing. But that made me cry so hard, I was just hoping for Vorenus to go and save him, and he did. Pullo did not take insults for his legion which was everything for him lightly. Vorenus sacrificed his position to save his best friend. That arena scene, the death of Caesar are very memorable and sad for me. I just love this show and I won't even bother listening to people who shit on it. I'm just glad that I experienced this show.

13!

i cant find "Scipio Africanus: The Defeat of Hannibal" anywere, did you have any torrent or something?

sure, here's a link for the torrent: torrent.isohunt.to/download.php?id=15545598&name=Scipione+l%27Africano+-+Carmine+Gallone+-+1937.avi&hash=4bbfdab8f7cb67a513f2db937704c59b55e12832
and for the subtitles: osdownloader.org/en/osdownloader.subtitles-download/subtitles/4529921

ignore whatever he links you, go read "Scipio Africanus" by B H Liddell Hart
He's a phenomenal writer and wrote the first work on the guy in almost 200 years, the first work on him EVER in english

i respect your enthusiasm, and of course he's free to ignore me, but I can't see why reading a scholarly biography and watching a movie on the same subject are mutually excluding activities
i could go on an autistic rant about how history, metahistory and fictional treatments of historical events are interconnected, but I'll just check your dubs

Speaking of Hannibal, is there any Roman show depicting Hannibal nearly destroying Rome? I think it'd be fun to see Rome literally shitting themselves when 10-15℅ of their male population died in one battle.

The worst part is they treated him like shit. He pretty much saved Rome from one of its biggest military crisis's it ever saw and he also helped develop a modern training system for legionaries that helped make Rome into a power house. What do they do this great man? They threw him under the bus after he came back, because he didn't want to get involved in the whole dirty petty games of the Senate.

To put in perspective how much he came to hate his own country he moved away from Rome and died in the countryside and supposedly had this put on his grave. "Thankless country, thou shalt not possess even my bones!

Still need to watch the last 5 episodes of season 2. For some reason I just can't handle this cast change. This ayy lmao Octavian is distracting and is the only character that has aged in the show.

I think the cast change was fine. The official statue specifications about himself by Augustus were pretty fayy too.
They apparently thought changing actors and adding age make-up would have been too jarring. I think it worked really well in I, Claudius to show that the stuff really took a lot of time. In Rome you might think they had two civil wars in a year or two.

series 2 was a messy rushed series and hardly a patch on series 1

I also got used to the first actor. But despite the fact that I feel the change wasn't needed, the new actor was also great. He played the part of a selfish older bastard that's intelligent and slightly autistic quite well, don't you think?

It's amazing how the feeling of new actor switch is both annoying, but an amazing cast and an improvement the same time lol.

They should call this description of feelings on casting changes "casting an Octavian". The feeling is utterly conflicting, it's like having Jack Nickels on Joker on Nolan's Batman Begins, but then getting Heath Leger's Joker performance. It fucks with the audience's sense of lore, but enhances the character performance to offset the disappointment. There is no doubt the new Octavian was much better, but everyone misses the first actor lol

Also when Vorenus found out that his daughter was whoring herself out to a pimp while selling her own father out he should of tied the children up right then and there and cast those ungrateful little shits right back into slavery.

I hate those stupid little fuckers, even before Niobe died they were never grateful towards their father while he was at war providing for them. Fucking dead pan expression on the lot of them when Vorenus and Polo freed them from bondage.

The only good thing about that whole series was that thick bitch, I think she was Octavian's mother.

thanks!!!

Their social classes were based off who could run their lineage back to the original 100 senators of Rome. On later after enough complaining did the plebs get to play tribune and even later consul. And not until a patrician running for consul (I think) who was well like by plebs rather than the patrician class he was apart of told of the law where patricians and plebs could intermarry (thus completely negating social climbing) did that law change. Carthage on the other hand, was an empire where social climbing was dictated purely off wealth, whether new or old.

lmao, Crassus was offered 10s of thousand of infantry and horses by another king if he took a roundabout way to get to Parthia. He declined that offer and decided to march straight to the empire because he thought he could do it. He decided to have a Parthian who wanted the empire to fall for some reason and that man lead them everywhere but the enemy camp they were to attack. The guide alerted the Parthian army after the Romans were nice and tired and the Parthians just peppered them with arrows while riding on horseback. Crassus sent his cavalry, including his son or son-in-law, to their death becasue he thought it was a good idea. Crassus was incompetent.
I'll give you that considering that's what made him rich and the fact he financed near everything Julius Caesar did before he became dictator. Which leads to the next point
His loyalty was to himself and only himself. The reason he paid for Julius's conquests was knowing Julius came from a strong and well respected bloodline and therefore his payback would be great. His only goal in life after his fortune was to earn some kind of glory so he wouldn't be made fun of by proper military commanders.
How did Crassus earn all that land to rent out? By buying it cheaply after a proscription. He could've given it back to the people it originally belonged to because of his "generosity", but no, he rented it out to Romans stripped of wealth and honor so he could continue gaining money.

And lastly,
I just complained about a man who became rich from being a glorified landlord, yet you claim I lionize a man who is a glorified landlord? k

His expedition against Parthia was ill conceived and badly executed, and the whole endeavor was clearly beyond his capability. At that point he was an old man well beyond his prime, driven by greed and a lust for glory. However, it's unfair to claim that his performance at Carrhae is representative of his whole military career. While not a strategist or a military thinker, he was capable in his role during that critical phase of the Third Servile war. It was mostly due to his natural intelligence, organizational skills and calm, rational (if cruel) mindset, hardly signs of a flawed character.
Glad we agree on this one. Also, when it comes to his skills in finances, "competent" was a serious understatement of his genius on my part.
Sure, he "bought" clients to further his personal agenda, but he rarely if ever "sold" them. He also proved himself as a successful middle-of-the-road politician, far from an easy position in that tumultuous era. He was someone who didn't keep grudges, who was ready to make a fair compromise and who, as an orator, used his remarkable talent to soothe the tempers of his colleagues and fellow citizens.
While he wasn't a charity institution, his generosity towards the common men was well noted as he made major donations and welcomed even the lowest of society at his table, something he did without being condescending in attitude.

The point I was trying to make is that despite the tragic fate brought upon his head by his old age hybris, he still is an extraordinary character who deserves due respect.
The drumpf thing was an homage to the late drumpfposter, as well as a tongue-in-cheek remark about most Ameranons' fascination with their God Emperor (and I'm just a jealous guy).

Vorenus just had his life fucked up. He even didn't fuck any whores until he got home, did that for like 7 to 8 years. What did his wife do when he was at war? Fuck with somebody else. The children blame Vorenus because the mother was a cunt and they tried to destroy the last sanity their father had. What a bunch of cunts.

At least Pullo sort of put himself into shit by killing Lydia's future husband, but Vorenus was loyal. The moral of this is… fucking women!

To be fair Brutus didn't go with Pompey he went with the lawful authority, Caesar crossed the Rubicon under arms. By roman law and tradition he declared war on the people and Senate of Rome. Brutus' first truly dishonorable act in the show was accepting Caesar's pardon. He should have gone with Scipio and Cato but instead went crawling back to a traitor like a bitch.

Brutus waz an honorable man who dindu nuffin, went to Senate erry Ides

Brutus was manipulated by his mumsy in the show. That's why he made terrible decisions. I ask, where was Brutus' father? Now you understand why single mothers are fucking shit parents. They can't raise their boys into men. They keep them as immature as their mothers. Dude was supposed to be heir to the linage of proud Roman Republic founders and got pulled into his mom's bullshit personal politics.

lol does that look like a nigger to you?

It was filmed in rome

Caesar was Brutus father.

you tell me

They've built a huge, very detailed set of ancient Rome at Cinecittà Studios where the shooting took place.

Dubs confirm. Caesar and Servilia had been lovers since forever. The reason why Caesar treated Brutus like a son was, well, because there was a good chance that he was his son.

you stepped too much over the line to me that i cant even tell if you are ironic or unironic shitposter

I think Dr. Bashir once played Hannibal in made-for-tv movie. But please don't quote me on that.

I think it was hinted at. I don't remember Brutus knowing this info.

That was the dumbest thing in the show, inventing a Servilia/ Octavia love affair.

WE

WUZ

KANGZ

N'

That was incredibly retarded. Probably just put it in for the "sex sells".

SHIT

The actor playing Pullo looks just like a modern day Roman "buzzurro".

bump

The detroit one is fucking hilarious

I don't think anyone could have better fit the role of Caesar than Ciarán Hinds

Every HBO show has lesbianism in it. Every single one. Carnivale, Deadwood, Rome, Game of Thrones…

Amazing acting from him, and Tobias Menzies too despite his character being a piece of shit. Every actor was good in Rome to be honest, can't think of someone who was bad enough to remember.

Even fucking 'TRUE ROMAN BREAD FOR TRUE ROMANS!" was awesome in his part

And the "He was a consul of Rome!" was an awesome scene. Don't why I remember it so clearly.

But yeah that fat guy and his hand movements was good, seemed like a real announcer to me

since no one recommended you shit, try this list. I know there's a more updated list but I'm too lazy to look for it.

it does tie the knot for the main plot but the main reason I hated it was because it ended.

Nice list, I saw a few great movies in there so I assume it wasn't made by an idiot. I'll take a look at some movies from there.

wew