Silly chan idea:

silly chan idea:

what if, instead of there being specific boards created by people.. a chan started out with only one board where everything is posted.

Then, threads are tagged by users and boards naturally form out of the tags. For example, if people are making lots of threads about ufos that would all get tagged as ufo and a little ufo specific community would form.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ignorama tried this. Nobody really uses it.

Stack Overflow tried this. Everybody really loves it.

what's Ignorama?

Not really. There are tags, but there's broad categorization in a million subsites.

thats what overboards and multiboards are for, both Infinity Next and Lynxchan are working on that. except they don't have to get rid of specific boards in the process and its board based tagging instead. user based tagging would just result in some thread thats about space travel being tagged as "garbage" or "horses"

It will probably mean more server load, because everything becomes dynamic, and need clever client-server architecture to shift it to web browser.

Need for personalized agreement/disagreement with others' tags means it should have some WoT properties. So, even more calculations.

It is also not immediately clear why people would use it more than the current system. We will have mostly traditional board structure with single thread tags, but on an enormously complex engine.

How does moderation work there? What if someone crossposts on all the tags or creates a shitload of useless tags?

Let's set a limit then. A thread can have at most three tags.

They're signing their own thread's death warrant.

then who would be mods? your idea is shit.

Hello 2008 called, dynamic building of pages is the status quo now and, with proper caching, no different than this shitpile.

No. You don't understand what are you dealing with.

and you clearly don't understand product design

Hello Josh

board ~ tag, which means that you could still easily cache index for given tag. In fact, it might be even easier than having multiboards, because you don't need to cache indexes for various combination of tags. Essentially, it's the inverse of multiboards - instead of aggregating several boards according to clients wishes, you post one thread on several boards according to OP's wishes. Having individual posts tag might be complicated, but that's unnecessary.

its a very centralize management, just imagine one mod turns into sjw.

When do threads expire? Who designs the logo? Which language is the chan written in? What are the data mining capabilities? Is it distributed? Does it have a REST API? Who handles spam if boards are created on the fly?

not only that but imagine a tag like Holla Forums being flooded with non tech content.
Basically you could not limit the amount of new post per tag without limiting all the tags.

Also how would moderation work ? Mods for all tags ?
Tag specific mods ?

At this point you are close to how twitter / tumblr works with hastags & content.
You would have the same problems in moderation.
If global mod -> 1sjw and the fun is ruined.
if tag mods , then the tags are limited.
The problems come from the source.

Is there a way to detect illegal content ?

I have no idea why you complain about that. I've just seen too many

> …this server function is expensive, let's add a simple captcha to protect us from possible attack
> …limit is set to X (or 1/X) because X should be enough for everything
> …in the end, mods can decide what is authoritative, but it won't be needed often (and therefore won't have any efficient interface) because most people agree on what's right and what's wrong on our site/service/whatever
> …OK, our solution doesn't work as expected, let's dilute everything by 10, add a bunch of patches, and try to kinda live with the results

Quite obviously, captcha generation becomes a way to DoS server along with the functionality it fails to protect (because of OCR), bots rape you every X+1 second while users have to wait every single time, staff gets heaps of complains and work they never expected, everything is shit and new ad-hoc solutions are proposed.

That all follows the lukewarm analysis of a serious problem.

If A tags his thread “windows”, “autorun”, “problem”, and B tags the same thread “underage”, “cancer”, “google it”, showing all of it to C is not very useful. There is a need for some web of trust/recommendation system to either make personalized tags for each user based on their own preferences, or assist some global rulers in setting the official outcome semi-automatically.

Still, there is no explanation why having a shared defined hierarchy (that can be altered) is worse than making each poster reconstruct the whole hierarchy on his own every time he needs to decide on it, apart from doing something more interesting.

Heh. You are just a hot-headed code monkey.

It doesn't matter if you only rebuild something every second, or 10 seconds, or 10 minutes, or one day. You have a system that has a lot of theoretically shared and theoretically static content for all users, and you have another system that has a lot of theoretically dynamic content for each of them. No matter what hardware you have access to, they will be different.

Let's say an average ISP wants to install a caching proxy to pay less for traffic. Try to estimate the size of cache it needs to have to achieve any result. Answer: It's a financially impossible task, at least with current prices.

I'm not even talking about something that resembles an imageboard. Even vaguely defined, these proposals need a vastly different technology requirements I am trying to describe.

I'm not sure what OP meant, but I imagine, it could work almost the same as 8ch works now and basically the only difference would be that OP can decide to post one thread on multiple boards. It doesn't even need to be called "tags". Boards could still work as they work now, deleting thread from board would remove the tag. There might be few minor issues, but nothing that can't be solved, probably.

I have no idea how the concept of just removing spam and off topic became such a controversial moderating view. Whoever started the arbitrary "quality" meme deserves beheading.

User moderation is the future.

Another thing that will totally work, buddy.

For the most part it does work, the controversial aspects of moderation should be "what is spam" and "what is off topic".

And you CDN the static content. This isn't hard, you retarded faggot.
Why the fuck would a residential ISP install a full-breadth caching proxy for their users, that covers everything? Protip: they wouldn't. What specific do in many cases is install a local caching proxy for shared content. Say, windows updates, and they can do a lot of caching if they actually insert themselves into the root certificate store to save bandwidth themselves.
But a residential ISP wouldn't do that, unless it's with another ISP. Say, with Netflix.

If you're talking about the ISP, the ISP that serves content, the site itself, it's called a CDN you fucking retard. Holla Forums's CDN is cloudflare.

Then why would you even talk about it in this thread, you fucking retard?

I think the problem is that users will start removing things they don't agree with.

I meant "what subscribers do in some cases"
That is, mostly companies who want to filter and spy on web traffic, or universities, what not. It also allows saving of bandwidth and reducing latency. But mostly done to restrict web content.

Tell me more about user moderation! I think I want to build a system that does it

reddit.com/

So Twitter with no character limit and no profiles?

These are the biggest non-technical problem.

You NEED moderators unless you want the community to be turned into absolute dogshit by a single turbofaggot who doesn't want other people to have more fun than he has. But with this kind of system you'd almost need to have mods assigned by the site admin.

It could be very similar to Holla Forums, where admins do not delete anything beside illegal content, and user moderators only have power over a specific tag. The post wouldn't necessarily get deleted, but it wouldn't appear in the tag that it was deleted from. Tags would be unmoderated by default, and by "creating" a board you would instead just become a moderator of the tag assuming there isn't one already.

You can simply limit each post to ~3 tags or even just 1 to prevent people from abusing it.

Come to think of it, you could double this as a chan where posts can't be deleted, because mods can only remove them from tags.

Isn't this how reddit started? One page for everything, and eventually they spawned subreddits..

Spam management is very technical

This can only works on tags with smaller community, like Holla Forums is slow and comfy so we don't get much spam/raid.

But when certain community reached a certain numbers you can expect raids/marketeers/thought police fuck with your threads hourly.

You can expect very few autistic people hogging 90% of all tags, colluding with each other removing unapproved threads from major tags, essentially a high speed centralized censorship propaganda machine.

It's not a bad idea but it's not something new, it has been done and the result is less than ideal.

This can't be solved through software, that's why it isn't a technical problem. That is, until we have AI that can detect people you don't want.

Just like very few autistic people hogged 90% of all boards in Holla Forums, right?

Oh, god, stop being so narrow-minded empiric.

You said “Static system, dynamic system, just throw caching at it!” (motto of PHP monkeys who made systems, like Wordpress, that are naturally unusable, and then the whole school of caching them properly). I gave a vivid example of a dynamic system that can't be cached. Even if you have fantastic amount of money to build storage that is big enough to actually deliver something more than once, and a magical software to look into and cache encrypted traffic, return-of-investments time is also mythical. We also dismiss the fact that Internet usage grows faster than you can update your system.

It was done in the past, when traffic costs were significant, my young uneducated friend. There even were projects to hijack bittorrent announces and inject local peers that cached most popular data, though social remedies (local FTP/website with the same content and free unlimited traffic) were always more effective.

It is still done in remote networks with shitty connection (there were some articles on South African Internet situation, for example).

You don't need any centralized entity to make decisions. Go read on webs of trust and recommendation systems, they only depend on your own decisions and their co-directness with others'.

As opposed to the fucking retard rambling on about stupid shit and then damage controlling when he got called out?
No, it's the motto of even yourself, apparently. Caching proxy.
And they don't do it these days.
That's much different from a full-breadth caching proxy that you have to connect through for any TCP/IP, that's a local peer in the swarm that's connecting before transit.
It's still done by subscribers, not by ISPs in the manner that you are talking about, aside from local CDN agreements. Which is much different from caching proxies.

You harped on some retarded shit and were called out. What OP is talking about wouldn't prevent a local or ISP http caching proxy from caching anything either, you retard, unless we're talking about software that doesn't use http as a transport.

My ideal imageboard would be one where everything is fine until say 500 unique IPs have posted. After that no new IPs can post and new people are forced to lurk for say 6 months. After that 50 or one tenth of the current number of people more IPs would be allowed to post. Lather rinse repeat.
This would enforce social norms and less moderation would be necessary. There would be no influxes of newfags that would be too big to handle and hopefully those newfags would have been forced to lurk for a decent amount of time. The only problem would be no tor and no vpns though.

so you want a sekrit club?
You could make a tor board and give users a code for the first year and stopping giving them out the next year, require everyone to have javascript off and have the right Tor Browser user agent, otherwise the code will be rendered invalid.

Not necessarily a sekrit club. Anyone could lurk and if they want to post they can show up when the board is accepting new people. The board could technically get thousands and thousands of people but that be a slow drop over a long time. I just hate the eternal september syndrome sites inevitably get.
But your tor code is a good idea.

Sites will inevitably always become popular among stupid people as well.
One way to scare such people off is by hosting illegal content on the site.

Illegal content attracts its own brand of stupid people.

Thats my point though. The influx of stupid people would be limited and the current users would have plenty of time to beat the stupid people into shape before the next wave.

You're right.

Do you really people would stay around long enough for that?
How would you know if a person had been lurking for half a year anyway?

Stay around long enough for what? The ability to post?
And it wouldn't matter how long someone was lurking. The amount of new users would be so small compared to the current users they would have no choice but to adhere to the social norms of the board. Its like that picture with the monkeys and the ladder.

What's this thread about?

Ive never used usenet. How is it?

paying money

you couldnt catch up with posts, you will have to open tabs for every specific thread

How do old threads get deleted?
Inevitably, the overboard will be flooded with bronies. If all threads are treated equally then every time a real topic is made, it'll get bumped off the site unnoticed.

One unorganized board would work fine for smaller communities. Whenever I stumble across an old school forum with 13 meticulously organized subforums that get one post a month, I wonder why they don't just stick everything in one forum and call it a day.

The core problem with your idea for a chan is that a chan is not a bunch of subforums shared by one community, but a bunch of separate communities sharing a website with their own ideas of what kind of users they want, how they should conduct themselves, and what the responsibilities of the mods are. Throwing everything under one jurisdiction gives you Holla Forums.

Isn't that what booru-style chans are?