YOU ARE AMAAZING!

Let's watch and discuss the greatest rendition of Swamp Thing ever: the cartoon made in 1990 to sell toys!

Lasting a whooping 5 episodes, you better believe you're in for less than 2 hours of pure fun!

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-78?id=3546#1
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1972/Issue-1?id=3402
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-1?id=3468
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-3?id=3490
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-14?id=3473
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-16?id=3475
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-17?id=3476
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-20?id=3480
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-21?id=3481
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-26?id=3486
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-29?id=3489
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-34?id=3495
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-35?id=3496
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-36?id=3497
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-40?id=3502
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-41?id=3503
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-44?id=3506
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What is the basic purpose of Swamp Thing? What does he want to accomplish?

Ya know, swamp stuff.

I think sometimes he wants to return to being human (in the times when he was human and not a plant that thought itself human) or he just wants to protect the planet and those he cares about. He's an environmental hero most of the time. Sometimes people just fuck with him and he has to deal with assholes.

Does he rape anyone with vines?

It depends which era your talking about. Early on he was a man turned monster, who fought everything nasty, then he was reinvented as an Earth elemental, who's job is to mantain the balance of nature and shit.

So, are the kids just catching frogs to have frogs, or are they planning to eat them?

HE WANTS TO SELL TOYS, NIGGA!

…Is this one of the ones written by Alan Moore?

On to episode 2.

Rick Veitch run. It's actually not as crazy in context.
Well, okay, it kind of is.
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-78?id=3546#1

Do you have a torrent or a magnet for it?

LOL I think I remember seeing this on TV. Dat terrible cover!

Marvel had their own version called Man Thing, who I have seen in a whopping one story (where he was "teamed up" with The Thing, but The Thing didn't know it, having only just survived a plane crash). Man Thing somehow "fed on" emotions, and burned whatever he touched. Fear and anger "tasted bad" so he burned the sources of them.

I'm half way through… this is pretty wild.

For anyone besides Swamp Thing, that would have ranked as one of the weirdest days ever.

What if Swamp Thing had a bazooka?

What the fuck?

Can Swamp Thing really turn people (well, un-men) into trees? Cause, that's kinda horrifying.

Time for episode 3… where a nuclear satellite just happens to land in the swamp.

I do not envy the mental strain that Abby must deal with on a day to day basis.

I love how true to the toy Tomahawk's crossbow-that-shoots-detour-signs is.

Episode 4, moving so close to the epic finale!

We start of with Tomahawk's entire culture being shit on by the bad guys.

Well, that could just be a whole fucking book by itself!

I'd read it.

Okay, so the fountain of youth is the goal in this episode, and one of the kids suggest that the fountain could change Swamp Thing back to human. "If you could go back to being young, you could go back to being human!"

Seriously, does that make sense to anyone? I mean, if it straight up was a fountain of time travel, sure, but I wouldn't immediately think that it did more than rejuvenate.

Episode 5, the end of the series. Some other assholes come to the swamp after Swamp Thing.

The very recent mini by Len Wein and Kelley Jones had him actually turn back. Not without consequences, of course.

It's crazy how often Swamp Thing is purely a metaphysical head trip with romantic moments, no "action" in the traditional punching shit sense. And it fucking works. A lot of new writers wouldn't know what to do with a big plant man, but thankfully we've gotten to see a lot that do.

Those toys were pretty great.

I guess it's kind of hard to write typical action scenes for Swamp Thing past the Moore run, since you can't really physically damage him at all.

>readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-78?id=3546#1
Right… So all of this, every single issue, is after Moore's run.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1972/Issue-1?id=3402

And this comes before?

Forgot to say, I read the first volume of Moore's Swamp Thing in a library once, and I'm eager to read the rest (now that I know it's out there).

Moore's run starts at issue twenty something of the 1980's version.

Uh huh. When does the Trade Trial By Fire take place in the timeline?

That's part of the Mark Millar run, I believe. Somewhere in the 150-170's, or thereabouts.

Rightio. I presume that was in his better days.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-1?id=3468
Starting here.

The Millar run's decent. I didn't quite do it for me to begin with, but it gets very good towards the end.

Sounds like him.

Well well, haven't seen you in a good while…

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-3?id=3490

Oh, that'll go well.

Thank you for this site.

Yeah, I found it this year too. Didn't know they had this much Swamp Thang.

You know, this would be a case in comics where it would be best to work with the Nazi.

Well that was an odd turn. Methinks the jew so enslaved got hysterical and fixated once nearly burnt alive. If Karen's mission were successful, the resultant daemon world would be a nightmare for every living thing.

I wish they still made silly stuff like this.

What issue was THIS from?

I think it's somewhere in the Doug Wheeler run.

Why even make them so freaky in the first place if they are going to do this shit?

After reading that, I have to wonder what about this series made them want to make a toy-shilling animated series.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-14?id=3473

THE PHANTOM STRANGER IS PART OF THE STORY AT LAST YESSSSSS

I don't know… why do Tomahawk and Bayou Jack already have ripped clothes, despite only one of them ever mutating?

But the real answer is probably that the monster parts just snap on to the toy's head.

To stop Dr. Arcane from taking over the world and find a way to make himself human again.

Duh!

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-16?id=3475

Welcome to Brigadoon. A much freakier Brigadoon.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-17?id=3476

Abby's back… and this comic's not explaining who she and Cable are so well.

Looking good, Arcane.

Thread got me slowing reading Swamp Thing. Just finished issue 2.

The original? '82? Or newer?

Original. I've read the first 3 volumes of Alan Moore's run, so I figured I'd see how it all began. And then when I got the money for it, buy the rest of the Alan Moore stuff.

That stuff's all explained within like the first three issues of the 70's run, if you're curious.

"So much for Arcane! …But…have I really seen the last of him…?"

You had to think it.

Right, I think I'll check that out soon.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-20?id=3480

Aha. Gentlemen, the start of Alan Moore's run. Too many ants.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-21?id=3481

MMMMMUURAAAAAAAAAGH, THE SUTHERLANDS

SUNDERLANDS, FUCK WHY DID MY MIND GO BACK TO SCOTLAND

Yes! Another!

Ah, for Holla Forums.

Could you edit the 'NO EXIT' part on the left into last panel on the right, WHY-style?

I'm not following. I'm not a comic guy I just like Moore's stuff and saw the thread while I was shitposting.

Oh, thought you were making OC here.

Doing some light editing. What the fuck is why-style?

Stuff like this.

Alan Moore was bashing autistics before it was cool.

Remember when you'd only meet an autistic kid from time to time, instead of everyday on every corner of the internet?

Swamp Thing remembers.

Back when autism was associated more with Rain Man than Sonic the Hedgehog. Truly the golden age of autism.

What a time to be alive.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-26?id=3486

Now that's how you do Etrigan.

I don't know his calvary charge towards the primordial darkness was pretty great.

Still to come, is that? Looking forward to it.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-29?id=3489

Moore and company have a way with words and imagery. Especially the horrific and un/natural.

Yeah it is the next major story arc. Shit is pretty cash. I was reading the whole thing and thinking that Tim Hunter would have been a nice little addition if he had existed back then. Original Books of Magic Hunter, not the weird fucked up ongoing series version that sort of went nowhere.

Still I like the stories where you get to see a lot of the old school DC magic users get together. I am really going to have to go back and read the beginning of Hellblazer since I only started reading it just after Ennis picked up writing duties.

Fishnet Tophat Zatanna>Any other version

I mean the gams on that dame are insane.

Plus I really am digging Rick Veitch's art. Never really knew much about Roaring Rick other than that little cameo Dave Sims put in Cerebus and the accompanying annotation.

Probably going to check out Bratpack after I get finish Moore's run on Swamp Thing and catch Hellblazer up to Ennis.

kek

I don't get it.

Last two panels

Swamp Thing is friend to all children.

GAH. user, are you trying to give me diabetes? That's too cute!

Dini knew that quite well, I know…

I'm a little disappointed that they stopped the Phantom Stranger's one-shots after each story. Kinda want to see him back.

God-Emperor Shade seems to have that role too.

Here is another one

Is it just some writer meme, or a reference to a real news thing?

Is this some inside joke I'm not aware of?

It's a britfag author thing. I have seen it a few other times before. That Swamp Thing panel is the earliest example I have seen.

Darn, I'd be tempted to use it myself someday, but then I'd feel like a poser since I'm not British. And if it's referencing something from British news, I'd be an even bigger poser for not knowing the origins.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-34?id=3495

Magic Swamp Yams! Mindsex! All the trippy hand-drawn visuals you could ask for! This comic has it all!

I guess the world moved for them too.

Jesus, My Blue Heaven has to be the most elaborate act of masturbation I have ever seen in a story.

This is honestly one of my favorite comics ever. It comes right after some really fucked up shit, and you just really want these kids to be happy, even if just for one issue. One of my favorite uses and implementation of flipping the book. Just a beautiful headtrip.

The Pogo issue was tits. I had forgotten about that strip years ago.

Right after the fucked-up Arcane saga, right before something equally fucked but in a different way…

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-35?id=3496

…And I just realised the significance of the color blue here. Good Lord, that was a jolt.

That was weird and out of place, but kinda fun. Lots of puns and expospeak that I liked.

This shit is crazy. I started reading comics back in highschool and gave the up about 99ish when everything went shittits. I forgot how good good comics were.

All you had to do was look back, and there it was.

Love me an antagonist who's so deranged, he doesn't even know what he's doing to people. It's a different sort of horror to heinous bastards like Arcane.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-36?id=3497

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-40?id=3502
Seriously, Swampy? You could and should crush this bitch like a wishbone. Also, failure to communicate.

…Also, fuck. Far as I know, we don't see Nukeface again.

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-41?id=3503

Holla Forums would have a field day with this comic.

This is an excellent thread.

Continue please.

I love Moore's Swamp Thing.
Have his entire run.
Here's an image of my own for you

this

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Swamp-Thing-1982/Issue-44?id=3506
Here, Bissette and Totleben show off how they do eyes.

Remember that time Swamp Thing got raped by a planet?

That was a great issue. It reminded me of the Morrison/Fegerdo Kid Eternity mini-series for some reason.

That was a good way for Moore to end his run. Balancing everything out with hope for growth that can lead to a better world and the simple contentment of living.

He got a little preachy during his run, but it was different for it's time and addressed issues that weren't common in the funny books of the era.

That's one of the more hideously translated sentence i have ever saw. Why Burgers are so inept at foreign languages?

*most hideously

And for fuck's sake, he even wrote bon temps in one word!

It's not a french expression, it is creole. Creole is as French as Mexican Spanish is Spanish. A regional patois that organically grew out of the mix of anglo franco interaction with a dash of west african slave jibberish.

Also
kek

It is a pidgin, not a patois.

Mea culpa

Will you be continuing on to the Veitch run? I'd recommend it. Generally it holds up the quality, and delves deeper into some of the things Moore set up.

I am. The Paliment's reaction is shit though. It is starting to straighten up, but the way they reintroduced them was so out of character compared to their original appearance. Also I am going to take a shot in the dark and figure that the other elemental is Tefe and she is going to end up in Abby somehow.

Yep

New 52 Swamp Thing is the only good version.

Okay here I figured out what was bothering me about the post Moore Swamp Thing. Moore gets these grand ideas in his head. So he writes stories about them and they are great. They are mysterious and intriguing and work. But when someone else comes to pick up the story after him it falls flat and doesn't seem quite right. Because Moore, for all the great storytelling he does, never explains exactly how it all fits together in his head. So when someone else tries to pick up the thread the internal logic that lives in Moore's drug addled mind isn't there and the new author is simply trying to carry on what he perceived the internal logic of the series to be. The problem arises mainly in the secondary nature of it. The reader is interpreting Moore's universe through his own lens and infers what was meant. However when the new writer takes over he is expanding on his interpretation of Moore's idiosyncrasies, which may or may not match up with those the reader has. This leads to a tertiary experience that is disjointed from the initial run.

I can appreciate Veitch's run for what it is. But after slamming though Moore's there is a disconnect as you adjust to the fundamental change in the narrative. This change is not simply a matter of dialog, characterizations, and plot. Rather this is a matter of how the entire cosmology and inner workings of the universe function. Moore didn't write a story for DC, he wrote a story for himself that happened to be published by DC. It is rather telling about his personality and would explain some of the problems he has had with editors and publishers in the past.

You want a laugh? This is how Brian K Vaughan depicts The Green. Not as an ethereal, non physical plane, but as a plant city where all of the plant people live in their plant houses and drive their plant cars.
To be fair, it could be that this was supposed to be how Tefe's more human mind experiences The Green, but somehow I suspect that he just didn't get it.

Well, I finished the primordial darkness arc. Quite the Armageddon. Great build-up to that last moment.

This one had a high named bodycount, didn't it?

>Dennis and Liz

Well that was a horrifying disappointment. Keeps with the theme of the books, though.

My my.

Reached. That was pleasant. A nice day after all that horror, loss, and madness.

Takes a little weight off the chest, honestly.

…Before diving back in.