Laptop general

Tell me, Holla Forums, what do you use for your portable computing? It can't be all thinkpads in here, surely...

For years now I've had a little Asus eeePC that I picked up for a mere $50, it runs Debian stable and has served me well for a long time. The battery life has started declining rapidly recently, though, and I'm thinking about getting something new, so I thought I'd see what the rest of Holla Forums uses.

Decided to post this after seeing the Xiaomi laptop announcement: archive.is/e2CUb

Other urls found in this thread:

investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/broken-window-fallacy.asp
youtube.com/watch?v=iP9H5fADC0E
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

thinkpad or android phone for very small jobs
would love to use a umpc if any got libreboot

Thinkpad x220.

x200, practically rebuilt the thing. new plastic, aftermarket IPS screen, libreboot, 9cell battery.

cop a chromebook

and install your distro of choice of course, i mean

You can get aftermarket eee batteries for like $40-50 on Amazon. Mine gets up to 10 hours, only downside is it feels like it's made of solid depleted uranium now

this

but i want this

The only computer anyone could ever need.

Android tablet: music, games, books, manga, animes.

Chromebook: shitposting, hacking with crouton.

Just an hour ago, I needed something off my expensive modern laptop with Fedora on it, and thought I'd upgrade Fedora to 24 while I was at it. The upgrade went through, apparently without error, but the result is massively broken. Network manager won't add WiFi DNS servers - had to add them to /etc/resolv.conf to get online. Gnome settings crashes on launch. Lots of strange error messages.

Meanwhile the Android/Chromebook pair work perfectly and I get plenty done of them.

That botnet tho.

Got an acer netbook running gentoo, I only ever use it when I'm gonna be spending a few hours out someplace and want to kill time shitposting and chatting on irc, granted I'll actually have internet access.

Otherwise I just take my axim pocketpc and spend my time playing solitaire. I've got normal sized laptops but there is just nothing that I actually need them for, it's not like I need to make a presentation while I'm on a train.

MacBook Air mid-2011
Not baiting
Pic related

Get out

No. Stay mad you sperg.

Netbooks basically fell off the face of the earth after tablets became popular didn't they? It was a little bit of a shame because the first few "big" players were all shipping with some version of gnu/linux to cut costs further.

Not in terms of being able to buy them, no. Today you can get a decent $100 laptop at any store. My laptop costs about half what my tablet does.

Chrome OS and free wangblows for cheap devices killed GNU/Linux devices. But you get

All this is missing is the obligatory terminal window with screenfetch displaying an Arch Linux logo and a desktop with nothing worthwhile on it

I have an acer aspire switch 10. Yeah not gonna lie it took me three tries to get one that worked lol acer but the one I finally settled on is great, I'm running arch on it and the battery lasts nearly forever if you boot into runlevel 5.

To be honest the flow of money and consumerism is good for the economy, if nobody's buying anything then that leaves businesses without the opportunity to make money themselves which results in an endless downward spiral with businesses and companies simply going bankrupt and extinct which results in even less innovations because the money they need to create new technology simply doesn't end up in the right hands.
Although I agree that there should be limit to it.

What is a reasonable price for an x200s?
A few local sellers are asking for $100~$120 and the prices on ebay varies, should I go for the local ones or should I search some more?
I've only recently decided to learn about free software and programing and I want a computer I can mess around with instead of my Toshiba satellite in case I fuck up majorly.

Just a 10 year old Toshiba Satellite hand-me-down. Some day when I have money I'll think about choosing a laptop of my own. Would be nice to get one with a numpad.

You do not deserve to live.

Most laptops today have small keyboard keys and lacks tactile feedback and it's fucking faggy like it's only designed for small women or betas/fags like the macintosh. The closest one to my ideal is OriginPC or the System76 mod of it.

Have toshiba satellite too but a later model.The build quality is way better than any laptop I'd held today also I'd prefer not buying anything with numpad as (these days) it takes too much space which in turn shrinks the keys unless it's a 17" laptop with oldschool keyboard that isn't "slim and lightweight but terrible vents" then it's fine.

pic related, clone of originpc but with free software

investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/broken-window-fallacy.asp

you know nothing of economy

youtube.com/watch?v=iP9H5fADC0E

My only point is that when money moves things progress. I didn't say it would give more money to someone or give us profit, just that the flow of money is necessary.

I don't really think what the dollar was 50 or even 100 years ago really matter to ,well, anything. There is nothing that can take the number 1 spot of the dollar nor will there ever be until the US does collapse.
Also the video ignores that there can be outside sources of money and that the US isn't the only country on earth.
The shackles of debt aren't also that heavy, man will not live under oppression just because some Kike says he owes money to him, in the end that's nothing but a spook and can easily by solved by violence.

hehe
hehehe
oh Holla Forums, do you ever learn

I gave you a 3 minute video to cover the most basic concept of what is wrong with the US economy

what you don't realized is that EVERY major economy is doing this, or at the very least a central bank backed by the currency of a major economy, save for maybe 3 in the middle east

So what?
If people are smart enough to enslave plebeians than all you have to do is not be a pleb.
I'm fine with it since I'm not dumb, slaves are necessary for society to work well

Is it worth to purchase one of those 9 cell or whatever thinkpad batteries? I have a t410 and I want a battery that will last me at least 3 hours with moderate use. Does the battery degrade fast, like in a few months? Does it actually stay on for 3 hours if I get a good battery?

I just don't want to get some chromeshit just for the battery life, I like thinkpads.

so when we go, EVERY BODY goes

that sounds like anarchist talk
are you an anarchist user?

no user, they are not

T420

Fast as fuck, cold, good battery life, and recently had to find out that it somehow has better performance running gaymes than some trash Toshiba laptop with a dedicated GPU.

Got it for 230€ in absolute mint condition, runs Fedora with i3wm. Mainly use it for work but it has pretty much taken the place of my main laptop by now.

Given that you obviously have literal shit for brains, I sincerely encourage you to kill yourself.

Yes, probably worth it.

Who's we? There's only me user, for all I know you are but a shadow on the wall of a cave.
I don't think so.
Are you going to have your professors and inventors clean your streets and take out your trash?
Any society has jobs the lower classes must do.

the American we
ok
false equivalence user
the low caste don't have to be slaves, and the trash man and street sweepers make a fairly livable wage now, would be better in a healthy society tho

You're not getting my point.
I don't know user, that money has to come from somewhere.
It's actually wrong to pay them a liveable wage since they are providing a service which any person could provide, their work is invaluable, they may be getting a livable wage but they don't deserve one. Perhaps that's why printing and flow of money is necessary so that even the lowest could be supported in a way.
Honestly I have read no actual books on economy and I'm just going on how I see things so think of me what you will. Not that that should discredit anything I say though

whoops

Might buy one then, found it for like $50

I did user, enjoy innawoods, I'm looking to do sustainable hydroponics

its a city job user

wat
thsoe guys are doing it like every day understaffed and under budget because the kikes on the city counsel don't buy them the equipment they ask for the cheap fucks
also insurance is a bureaucratic nightmare

user shit was cleaner when it was backed by gold and silver

it's unsustainable user, we can do much better

That's a great deal.

Thinkpad x250.

I would hold out for 40-60$

I plan on buying the latest Dell XPS 15 soon

I figure that'll cover all my main computing needs for the next 10 years at least

Also I feel like Holla Forums is obsessed with older laptops because most people here are poor and their confirmation bias must dictate to them that the fresh grapes are all botnets

HP Stream 11, good for running praxis.

inspiron 14 3000 series
( its slow as hell maybe if switch from windows 10 to Ubuntu or something it'll suck less)

you can do that?

I get that this is 2 days old, and you have probably bought it, but ALWAYS BUY GENUINE, 5 $10 boots vs. 1 $50 boots and so on. If you are ok with a thinkpad tumor, you can use a slice bat.

I would agree, but modern laptops are so SHIT

This

Get out fag

How are you liking the EVO? I've been looking at getting one for my T420

GO BACK TO 4CHAN

What can i say, it's fast and works well, i basically never noticed anything about it. Bought it because its well regarded and has the newest SSD features.

Sage so i don't necrobump this.

About to buy a 420 or 430s - can you really play games on it? What's the best looking / most recent game you've gotten to work?

Rebuild the battery.

They used to make those kinds of keyboards in the old days. Only thing is, the computers were better.

I have an old samsung n210 I use for most stuff (Except games, for which I have a windows rig that is faster).

This is the only correct answer. People look funny at me in the train but I still can outperform them.
Posted from my GNU+abacus running with libreabacus.

If nobody buys their shit in a non-consumerist society, then maybe they should actually improve the product on each iteration, instead of selling shit already broken so that people are guaranteed to buy the next. That means, the money they get has to be used more into actually improving the shit they sell, instead of marketing.
Consumerism is what drove the current tech market to where we are now, and it's a waking nightmare.
Also, I'd like to make an interjection. Most Americans nowadays associate consumerism with capitalism, which is erroneous. In a capitalist society, the goal for each actor is the acquisition of wealth, which means less buying stuff you don't need, so as to maximize the money you have. If you examine the concept for a while, it starts being apparent that it's the complete opposite to a consumerist society, where buying useless products is the norm. In a capitalist society, people would refrain from buying defective products, instead settling for products which aren't broken by design, not buying into brands, and instead recognizing quality exclusively. The people wouldn't buy a new laptop just because the battery died, like OP, unless the battery was so old and incompatible with new designs (which would actually need to be forced by physical constraints, as designing new sockets is more expensive than reusing) that getting a new old battery was anti-economical, and used ones were unavailable. Of course, such a society would rapidly degenerate into a consumerist society by virtue of marketing and media conglomerates, which would teach people from a young age to buy buy buy, just so the few people on the top could get more money. It's the capitalist thing to do. But capitalism isn't the same as consumerism, and they should be held as distinct things. A capitalist society with no consumerism is perfectly possible, and a consumerist society with no capitalism is also possible. As an example of the latter, you can see modern USA: it's not capitalist, as the government bails out banks and subsides certain products, etc., but it's consumerist, as people keep buying stuff they don't need for overcharges just because it's new.

not the ecosystem though and was 'economy' actually good in the beginning???
All the faggets do is consumeconsumeconsume without knowing how many lands were deforested, mountains dug, and waters polluted constantly as an effect. The earth is harmed everytime consumer whores buy iphones and macs yearly because analytics and statistics dictated that we should produce 'smart'phones and computers with shit software as they would definitely bite the bait anyways according to ((data)). go 'new' meme
I don't even mind if the rapture came forth and huge man-eating demonic creatures come down here. Just so you know moon landing is fake and were trapped here in the circle of the earth with a dome sky forever. Mars is not habitable as it just a glowing thing sticked at the firmament moving in different ways and your masonic astrophysic uncles interpreted it as an orbiting planet to make you go #bigbang #atheist #worldisyouroyster. Fucking kikes just want to consumerize the world and make us think we can live on other planets and go full star wars.

Finished building pic related yesterday, just need to print the hinges but the shirty dremel 3d printer has a lot of trouble with the shape.
It keeps tearing off the work as the head mount moves over it.

Back on topic, in all I have about 100$ invested in this.(had to buy a soldering kit too)
Basically it's just a pi 2 b w/ a 3.5” pitft touch screen in a 3d printed case. Since I just finished it, I haven't really done anything else to it.

Anyone have any recommendations for this bad boy in terms of nice tools to have on the go?

would you like sergeants instead?

I like the keyboard though you can get laptop with better specs for the same price but it beats the purpose of a handheld device.
I'd rather try recycling those old nokia screens and see if it works. If I remember correctly they do and I saw someone use a nokia 3310 mono screen but idk if its SJWpi.

:=(=

Definitely not the top spec for the dollar but I did this project more to learn than to have the final product.
I am the eternal noob.
That's a cool idea about using old screens I'll keep that in mind. And yes it is a cuck pi but it's OK for me right now.

I'm looking for a super mobile user browsing platform.

Don't wanna.

I don't remember the model number but it's roughly the one I got.

I got it due to the lack of embedded graphics card and it was very light. I mostly wanted to use it for what 3D graphics work I do in my spare time.

The battery crapped out after about 6 or 7 months but it was still under warranty so it was replaced. Besides that very few issues.

fuckout

Why?

Why would I do that?

HP Probook 4530s. Got it for free because the previous owner was too cheap to buy a $20 replacement power cord and threw it out within 3 months of buying it.

It's my only machine, electricity is too expensive here to run anything more than a laptop.

Using a Dell Latitude D620 (2006) for a few years now, wonderful 'little' machine.

I rewatched this video earlier today for the first time in years.

I now am pretty confident I am the center of the universe and you're all puppets some superior intelligence created for me to interact with while they jerk off observing.

Bougnt mine in 2011. Shortly after everything at Lenovo went to complete and utter dogshit, and by the time I started feeling like upgrading Windows 10 had taken over the world.

So I'm still here in 2011, hoping my X220 doesn't break because I honestly have no idea what I would do without it.

Toughbook 19 Mk6 here, fite me faggots. Protip: you probably wouldn't survive your skull bashed in by a X-Strap'd 19, those hooks on the edges are fucking sharp.

Just a smartphone, because actual work belongs in the desktop.

I use a windows tablet with a keyboard and mouse that are bluetooth. Whole setup cost me 140$, just about and the tablet itself was 100.

#Stinkpad master race represent

#Stinkpad Master Race represent

I know that Lenovo spies on you like no one else but I got to use a Flex 3 PC/tablet convertible during my internship in a tech consulting company this summer and it's damn good. Great build quality (especially for a convertible, the hinges are rock solid), affordable, good specs, 1920x1080 IPS display. None of the problems usually associated with Lenovo either, and it's been used extensively by many users. The newer model even has anti-glare/anti-fingerprint coating and a backlit keyboard, the only flaws I see with it are the single DIMM slot and a lack of M.2 port. The 5,400 RPM HDD is also said to be utter shit but I haven't seen the high disk usage issues described by others, YMMV I guess.

I'm starting uni and needed a laptop so I got one myself, it's way better than the shitty Dell offered by my college and much cheaper. It's definitely not Stallman-approved but hey we are required to useWindows anyway, I'll just keep anything sensitive on my desktop.

yo nigga, i just zero day'd yo shit

crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

>