Homelessness

Post your experiences with the homeless and homelessness. Do you ever give them money? Would you only give them food in case they spend their money on drugs/booze?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alms
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Formerly homeless bloke here.

Homeless people turn their noses up at donated food because there's no shortage of it. Most hostels, day centres and night shelters provide a meal. For all their faults, the Salvation Army are brilliant in this respect. Some high street shops give their unsold sandwiches to homelessness charities, most notably Pret a Manger - the nightly feeding frenzy after the Pret van has arrived has become an odd tradition amongst homeless people.

The majority of begging is to fund drug and alcohol addictions, but people do often have a legitimate need to beg. The main exception are failed asylum seekers with no recourse to public funds - they can't work or claim benefits, so they're in really dire straits. If I meet anyone on the streets who tells me that they have NRPF, I give them all the money I have on me, always.

You can still sign on when you're homeless. Hostels and day centres will let you use their address, hold your mail and put you in contact with benefits advisers. You can claim housing benefit for a bed in a homeless hostel. Some people do end up begging temporarily if they have been sanctioned or there has been a cockup at the JobCentre. If you have been sanctioned you don't lose your housing benefit, so you can keep your hostel bed.

If you want to give something to homeless people but don't want to give them cash, I recommend socks, undies and tobacco. There's usually no shortage of donated clothes, but nobody ever donates socks and undies, so you're always short of them. Nothing has ever cheered me up as much as a pair of clean, dry socks in the winter. I admit that the tobacco thing is controversial, but smoking is a tremendous comfort when you're on the streets. It might kill you, but it kills you a lot more slowly than White Ace or heroin.

If I have some spare dollars on me I might give a few, usually once or twice in a night… I run out of spare dollars in a night. Drugs/Booze? Basically what I'd spend it on as well, why would I presume moral superiority for whatever they choose to spend it on. If I had more I'd give more, but I am basically neet and it's not like you can help everyone in life anyways.

One time I gave a guy money thinking he was homeless. Turned out he wasn't and he was just a old cripple.

Ex-homeless lad here.

On a practical level, it's fairly straightforward to get off the streets thanks to Housing Benefit. The first rung on the ladder is a hostel or night shelter. Hostels are miserable places, but you get a bed, a shower and the chance to wash your clothes. From there, a support worker will help to move you into a bedsit or flat, provided by either a housing association or a private landlord. You might have to wait a while, particularly in London, but they'll find you somewhere eventually. Finding a job isn't necessary to get off the streets.

Most major cities now operate a scheme called "No Second Night Out". Members of the public are encouraged to notify the scheme if they see anyone sleeping rough. By coordinating various agencies, that person can be identified and provided with emergency accommodation. It's not perfect, but it generally works very well for first-time rough sleepers.

Chronic rough sleeping isn't about a lack of housing, but an inability to be housed. "Normal" people might occasionally fall through the cracks and end up homeless, but it's usually very short-term. Aside from people with no recourse to public funds, the overwhelming majority of long-term rough sleepers have serious mental health problems and/or a substance abuse problem. This is why hostels are such shitholes - the accommodation is fine, but you're sharing it with a bunch of headbangers.

In my case, I developed serious mental health problems in my late teens, which I blotted out with alcohol. I simply wasn't capable of looking after myself. If I wasn't pissed out of my head, I was out of my mind with anxiety. When you're on the streets, people act like you don't exist, which is oddly comforting when you're suffering from severe paranoia. I found it easier to cope with the hardships of street life than the practical difficulties of a normal life.

You meet a lot of ex-servicemen on the streets. The common belief is that they have service-related PTSD, but for the most part this isn't true. Most of them grew up in care or really chaotic home environments. The forces were like a surrogate parent to them. They spent most of their adult life as part of this big machine that controlled every aspect of their life, then got dumped back onto civvy street. They might be in their forties or fifties, but they have the practical and emotional skills of a young teenager.

Providing someone with a roof over their head is relatively straightforward. Teaching them how to function in society is the hard part.

If they are hungry, why do they not just get a job?

i live in a city where there are a lot of homeless. they always hit me up for money. i get asked nearly every single day. i never give them money. i mean i see some with cell phones. one guy is always camped out in front of chili's with his signs in a wheelchair, but i've seen him several times pushing his wheelchair around a la george costanza.

anyway i never give money and when they ask me if i have any spare change i always so directly to them "no" instead of just walking by and ignoring them. i wonder if that is worse than just ignoring it. i sound kind of rude about it sometimes because i get tired of getting accosted several times a day for money. none of them have attacked me yet or said anything, so maybe they like that i at least acknowledge their existence even though i'm not giving them anything.

I only give them food or money if it looks like they're starving.

Where I grew up, about half of them weren't homeless and would just panhandle during the day instead of getting jobs. A news crew followed one and saw him getting into a limo; it turned out that he was a millionaire thanks to people giving him cash, and he was arrested for not ever having paid his taxes.

fuck them. they arent starving

its illegal to 'aggressively' beg here so they stare you down and shake their cups of change all day

you can see a wave of people divert around them but i dont care, i walk straight past them, eating food.

I've offered to buy groceries for them before. I met a homeless guy without an arm and shared some smokes with him in exchange for stories. His crack whore turned up and that was fun to watch.

I knew a guy that was homeless that would live in parks and make pancakes and jack off all day. I remember him saying his record was fifteen times a day in the park but like 20 something when he had a home. Dude was fucked lol

i dont give money to any1 and beggars r most often scammers

Former Homeless Burger here

My parents kicked me out at 19 for drinking and smoking weed a lot. I came home and they toldme they were going to my aunts house near Chicago for the weekend and I shouldn't be there when they got back. I lived in my car and couch surfed for almost a year before my brother took pity on me and let me move in with him. I was only really sleeping on the couch but it was nice to have a consistent place to stay that wasn't the back seat of my car. Plus no one would call the cops on me for trying to sleep there.

I wasn't homeless in a big city either only about 60,000 people total. So there wasn't any place to pan handle. I made most of my money doing odd jobs, selling drugs or picking up scrap metal on garbage nights.

The real strange thing about it was once I started to get my life together I went from homeless to making $100,00 per year in about 5 years. I think being homeless was a real motivation to get my shit together and to keep it together.

Depends on the illness, fam. Some illnesses mean you have limited walking distance and have to use a wheelchair the rest of the time, M.E for example.

fuck em

I usually laugh at them and spit on them.

Fucking how?

interesting stories.
too bad I can't really know how real these stories are, but I like reading about people who have been/ are in odd situations.
For example that woman who wrote about when she got baffled when she got offered drugs in return for a bj. She thought herself above that, yet she was in a junkie house looking to buy drugs.

On topic: the number of beggars have increased a fuckload now during the refugee crisis. Even see people and ``families`` sleeping on the streets that are highly populated during the nights (such as outside McDonalds). Some other refugees get too spoiled, where they demand to get other housings because they think the forest nearby is scary. Or someone to moved because he heard there were better housings elsewhere. All the housings mentioned are free to the refugee ofc.

I supported them early when there were only a single beggar in the area by giving him groceries, but for a few years now I never give them anything. They have become like a plague, always at the entrance of every store. Just wish the government didn't see taking in refugees as an absolute solution to helping the victims in wars.

I have 2 stories, both changed and shaped my views on homeless people.

First one:
-Be me, in my teens. Go to the supermarket almost every day to rent vidya and movies (it's the '90s dumbass, it was a thing).
-Every day there's this poor fella in front of the store, playing harmonica with his sorry ass looking dog on the side.
-throw him a bunch of change every time, whatever
-one day the vidya/movie department of the supermarket stays open longer than the supermarket itself. Some promo or sth
-me and a friend go check it out, keep talking about this cool game we found on the parking lot
-customers leave, everybody leaves, except for the hobo
-parking lot is empty by now, except for this Mercedes S 500 (an exec type of car at the time)
-we decide to continue "talking", to see if he'll get up and leave in the car
-sure enough, he does.

I later learned that beggars at prime begging spots make as much as 1K Euro a day.

I give them money, food and sometimes even medicine.

Second one is a few years later:

-I'm in my early 20s, love fishing for carp. Big carp, biggest carp.
-My friends and I drive Audi, have motor boats, 4 fishing rods each that cost 500 Euro a piece. Tents, beds, video equipment for the catch. You name it, we have it.
-We travel the European continent looking for the biggest carp we can find and arrive in South of France.
-I decide to fish on one lake, together with one of my mates. The rest of the group moves to another lake nearby.
-A few days later we notice one of our breads is gone. Must've been a fox or something.
-A few days after that we notice another bread is gone, as well as some totally worn out sneakers.
-The next day we discover a bunch of homeless people under a bridge nearby, one of them wearing the sneakers.
-We don't care and fish for another 2 weeks, bringing them a loaf of bread, some cheese and a bottle of booze every now and again. They didn't take anything from us since.

Meanwhile our friends who were fishing at the other lake nearby got:
-sedated with gas in their tent
-cars, motorboats stolen
-identity and credit cards, stolen
-vid & photo equipment gone
-same for fishing gear, clothes, etc.
-they lost between 350K and 400K Euro worth of stuff, from one gang, in one night.
-and they sure as hell weren't homeless.They got caught afterwards but nobody saw a cent of compensation, ever.

Also, fuck greentext.

I don't ever meet them because I don't leave my house. I probably wouldn't give them anything either. But truth is, I'm a worthless fucking leech and should be homeless myself

the fuck how rich are your friends?

They are the lowest form of scum and should all be sent to the camps.

Get laid you edgy LARPing virgin.

this exact thread is also up on Reddit right now

The rule is: Only give money to homeless if they look white.

I have hated them ever since.

Must be the same bot

Gypsies often come around where I live, dump their shit and their literal shit on the field. And they wonder why the police drive them away when they try to set camp in the field

I do the exact same thing. Except some homeless in my town are mudslimes or gypsies, which I have only anger against.
I only gave money once to a guy playing cello on the street, because he played well.

Since my university is downtown, I encounter a lot homeless people try to help them whenever I can and have some extra cash to share. Most homeless people don't trust home cooked meals, so I often have to walk with them to McDonalds, Denny's, or Panera to make sure they get a good meal.
I befriended one hardworking homeless man.
Every Monday and Wednesday, I see him pushing two shopping carts full of plastic bottles and aluminum cans. I see him walk for blocks collecting everyones trash. He is so ridiculously skinny, so one day I decided help him out.
I asked him if he was hungry. He looked so frightened when I called out to him. I guess he was surprised someone was talking to him.
He looked like he was about to cry when I brought him the food.
He took the bag so quick and turned to leave. I think he was a little ashamed. I had to chase him down to give his orange juice and the water.
He laughs, and I don't feel so shitty anymore.
I still talk to him.

God damn it I can relate so much.
I am pretty active in our local church (Not religious, just want to be nice and hang out with nice people) and we do a lot of stuff to help the poor and homeless in our city.

We used to have handouts during winter where we'd collect blankets and jackets, and also buy gloves, socks and other stuff to give out.

At first people who knew about it showed up. They were the local types and they took one of each, maybe someone took two pairs of socks and that was fine, it wasn't as if we reinforced the "please take one of each" rule.
It was all pretty quiet, the homeless were in a line and we talked and laughed.
Then something happened and I can never get the memory out of my head. People started running into the facility, I am not overreacting when I say it was like a tidal wave of dozens upon dozens of gypsies stormed us.
They pushed the locals away with force and took as much of the stuff as they could fit in their hands. One person would load a plastic bag with socks and gloves while another would pick up pairs of jackets and blankets and throw them at his mates.
It was terrible. We told them to calm down but they threatened us with violence if we tried to stop them.
They didn't even just take the blankets and stuff they also took coffee machines and stuff the locals had already taken.

It was over in 5 minutes, half of the gypsies hadn't even got hold of anything and threatened us if we didn't bring out more. When we told them they had taken it all they cursed at us and left.

I got some more stories from over the years if anyone is interested, but they're all pretty much the same.

I don't know if I should feel good or feel bad about helping the homeless so directly.
I feel as if I'm doing a good thing but I'm also doing it so that I feel good. It's a strange situation.

Of course whenever I see a homeless person enter a McDonalds and I'm already there I pay for their stuff and quickly slip them a ten dollar bill or something. What do homeless people think about people helping them like that?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alms

It's a good thing most of the time.

I could do with one more.

Okay.

And yet you and your Christcucks will learn nothing from this, right? You'll keep acting like alturistic dumbfucks while you're robbed, stabbed, and treated like shit. Well done, hope that goodwill does you well when you're being raped to death.

xD LES BE BAGANS XDDDDDDDDD

kill your self fag, if you knew how to read it was ment for the local homeless not ali and jafar

Gather a few of your church lads and learn how to make a shield wall, as long as you don't get flanked like a retard it should work

It was a different time when I first joined. It wasn't about religion, at least not for me, it was just a fun thing to do on the weekends. I was also battling depression at the time so it was also somewhat theraputic for me.
I didn't get back to it after the third or fourth time we were threatened by migrants, it just wasn't the same anymore, even when we'd go out to help the locals. We were afraid, they were afraid and fewer of them started showing up at our events, probably because they were robbed of the stuff oustide the house.

It's a serious problem and it takes a bigger man than me to fix it.

this tbh
remove muds

Same. Maybe all my volunteer work and handouts were just to make me feel good? It that so bad? It makes me really happy helping people. I want to feel like I'm useful. I want to feel like I am good. I don't know if my "good intentions" are even working, but I can't turn a blind eye. Selfish or Selfless. I'm believe I am little bit of both.

Be that bigger man fgt

Some of us youngsters wanted to take direct action, some of us even wanted to ban the migrants alltogether, but the church doesn't work like that. We get the cash to buy stuff from the Government, and it would be illegal of us to stop migrants specifically or in any way discriminate them or ban them from our events.
We tried talking to the community leaders about it but their hands were also tied, so it was either that everyone was welcome or no one was.

The migrants didn't care either way, we started handling even the well behaved migrants with some distain and coldness but they had treated us like glorified blanket and food distpensers for months so it made no difference.

This isn't really related but

If I ever end up homeless and I have nowhere to go, I can see only two options. I'll either kill myself, or I'll move to the woods and live away from people. Of course, I don't really know what I'll do, but that's why I envision

Yes, you are enabling their continued existence in a state of homelessness, and your handouts and "good works" are perpetuating the problem.

If nobody gave to the beggars they would either go back to their families, clean up, or kill themselves, and society would be the better for it.

Instead, your selfish actions continue to tarnish our society with scum and disease. If you actually wanted to help these "people" you would just invite them into your own home and feed and house them there, but instead you drop little trinkets while they eat and shit in our collective spaces.

There is a Final Solution™ to the migrant question. Euros need to meet, organize and plan (offline) and start purging mosques. Kill a whole mosque and you kill a whole group of muslims. Deus Vult

I think you're over simplifying it m8.

Why the fuck are you on reddit?

I'm in the downtown about once a week and I haven't seen him. It's only 1 street, so I guess he left. Wish him the best, think his name was Grieg.

curious for resentment towards greentext???

I give them polaroids of cp then call the cops on them

I like to let them fuck me in the butt bareback

fpbp
i've learnt something from this thread at least. I'll try buy some spare socks and undies. I dunno about the tobacco thing, but thanks for the tips.

ed miliband
man of the people

ed miliband
man of the people

Did you feel the nigger in your butt?

I used to hang out at Diddy Riese by UCLA with my friend and we'd get the local panhandlers come through who preyed on the bleeding hearts of the students. One day we saw one of those guys getting out of a just parked older Mercedes on his way to his UCLA panhandling circuit. We were flabbergasted.

We had an older "bum" (we used to call them) in my neighborhood when I was a kid who was always just sitting on a bench all the time. He was a fixture, he was beloved, and he was a bum. One year the local community threw him a surprise birthday party and he keeled over dead from a heart attack. Come to find out after that that he had a shitload of money in the bank, haha.

Beggars are assholes. If you give money to beggars, then that makes you an asshole as well. It's because of bleeding heart weaklings like you that beggars exist in the first place. Stop rewarding and enabling them.

sounds like someone who doesn't understand the concept of giving a fuck

Look at the flat tiny head of hers, not much brain capacity there.

just wanted to mention the 'bum driving the benz' meme is not what you think. I'm broke as shit, and I drive an audi (I do have a home*)

The s500 mentioned earlier… eff that - that car takes cash and lots of it (either paid in purchase price or paid monthly in repairs) to be able to turn the key.

The only people who like Kinison are know-it-alls who are "stupid and proud of it."

On topic: here in the northeast of America (fuckyea), you need a liscense to panhandle. Naturally it has been over-run and now controlled by various groups seeking to aggregate and profit-share.

The concept of a true "first day on the streets" person is something I have never seen here, to be panhandling you filled out paperwork and (like a hooker) either joined a group or are going independent. I give them cigs, never cash (as I don't have it), dodged someone doing the bro-slap-handshake to pull-you-off-your-footing (and beat/rob the shit out of you) conversion the other day.

this area of burger-land is different, the spare bills people are all trained professionals working for a larger group. If there not, run.

bump for interesting thread, want more stories.

Anyone here ever taken 'advantage' of a homeless woman in exchange for cash or food/accommodation etc?

How many of your sacred cows did Kinison slay, you triggered homo?

bumping

huh good coincidence am about to turn homeless in a couple of weeks, any suicide methods people can help me with before then ?

No, because homeless women are truly insane and horrible.
As in, way more so than regular women.
That's why they're homeless, literally not even omegas want to deal with them long enough to prop them up.

Help the genuinely poor not Anarcha-rad-fem crust punks.

I gave a homeless man a bag of cookies once.

None of those people are actually homeless through, they are a bunch of student dickheads.

Im a neet myself, but it takes a special kind of cunt to go busking in the highstreet in front of a closed shop and claim poverty when you've been to university and put genuine homeless beggars out of a begging spot.

this is what i meant in this post.

If only Benjikins was around.

That nigger probably knows some shit about this.

How's the milk market these days?

shit wrong thread

So when I was 18 I was waiting for a train and this guy approached me. It was December in the northeast, so it was fucking cold. I didn't like standing in the area covered by an awning because I didn't want to be anywhere near people. Guy came over and said "hey, you must have tropical blood". I didn't want to talk to him (headphones on, music loud) but he seemed friendly and non-threatening.

Don't remember what we talked about, but I ended up giving him $20. Train conductor saw me do this. When we got to my stop he told me that this guy was a junkie and I shouldn't give him money.

Never donated to another homeless person again. Never going to.

Well I was taken advantage of, but fuck it I wouldn't like that life.

Have a non means tested universal income for the unemployed and disabled, not a universal income for everyone.

Bring back the mental asylums and build state housing to a decent level.

Stop the selling of council houses and the colossal importation of pakis and niggers.

Homeless people should be given one chance to turn their lives around. This can be accomplished by picking up anyone seen begging or being a bum, and putting a small tattoo on an inconspicuous part of their body.

Provided that they have not been picked up before, they will be given any treatment required (detox, a place to live, job training), and a chance to regain status in society.

If they are picked up again, and they have the tattoo, they go to the camps.

link it plox

Capitalists be like

Communists be like

Anarchists be like

Nazis be like

having a good will makes you feel good. why do you think christians are always smiling and happy?

Used to give money to homeless, especially those that kidnap animals. Don't anymore because I realized how hard it is to be homeless these days - you generally have to be a massive waste of fucking waste of space to end of up there.

Was homeless on and off growing up
Left drug addict mom at 13 and was homeless on my own for a year
I could make 20-80 $ a day begging
Grouped up with other homeless kids and we would pool our money to buy food/supplies
Some of them did drugs but would always have them bought for themm by the hoards of older men looking to fuck kids
Would break into any empty old building we could find until we were kicked out & if anyone messed with one of us "mostly drunks" we would swarm them.

I only give money to homeless kids but id rather buy them can openers or other tools they need to survive

Why didn't you sell ass?

Try living in Vancouver.. around my work our poor houseman has to house out the alley of human shit constantly. and I hate going to the 7-11 because of some crackhead who will be all smiley unless you tell him no, then he goes all ape.. this city has the worst homeless problem in Canada.

Kick it in the face. It's not like it's human.