What will happen when we run out of oil?

I think the U.S will wage a shit ton of resource wars instead of making the transition into a nuclear powered country.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.W._Burdick_Power_Plant
thingsworsethannuclearpower.com/2012/09/the-real-waste-problem-solar-edition.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's plenty of oil. Peak oil is bullshit.

You post shows a misunderstanding of power generation in general.

The only oil fueled power plant in the US is en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.W._Burdick_Power_Plant with most of the power coming from coal.
Nuclear isn't an option for civilian vehicles due to safety, cost and weight concerns.

As for what happens when oil becomes more expensive than other good fuels for vehicles we simply see these other fuels gain popularity. E85 is a great example as it's being rapidly adopted while offering increased specific energy than oil-based fuels.

If on the other hand you are talking about what happens when the coal starts to run out then I have no idea. The logical solution would be to shift the grid to nuclear but voters are rarely logical.
"Green" generation may see wide adoption but the people will have to be willing to foot the bill of inefficient generation and a solution will be needed for grid level storage.

World powers like the United States no doubt have a lot more oil than they let on. So I do not think "peak oil" will happen anytime soon. Not even in the next 100 years. We have a lot of fucking reserves, more than people might realize. But since oil is a finite resource it is bound to happen eventually, eveb if its the supply that falters before the demand does

Nuclear power has a lot of problems associated with it too like nuclear waste and how to dispose of it in an efficient way. The only type of nuclear power that wouldn't have thos problems is fusion power, but we're still a ways away before we can use that properly.

as oil supplies dwindle, the price of oil will rise. this will make it viable to extract oil from deposits that weren't viable before

"Peak oil" may or may not be bullshit. By some measures, peak EROEI was passed in 1971, however.

It's time you americans woke up to the 21st century. Oil is over as an irreplacable energy source, even if it's anti-american lefty-liberal treason to point it out. cars are going electric. coal powered energy plants are closing daily. the share of nuclear and renewables increases yearly. targets have been fixed for 2030 to break the oil stranglehold. only america won't buy into this and only america is being left behind. enjoy your backwardness in the name of texan fortunes, suckers.

thingsworsethannuclearpower.com/2012/09/the-real-waste-problem-solar-edition.html

Stop this. Its wrong and its stupid. If you believe this you are uneducated. Nuclear waste from nuclear plants is easily stored, and in the next few years there will be plants online which can utilize it in the production of energy. Nuclear IS the future. People who perpetuate this myth are deluded.

Ironic, europe telling US to wake up. Why don't you wake up yourself, you're living in an Orwellian shithole full of stinking curry niggers and shitslimes. When you're tired of eating kebaba, try rebelling against your handlers, then you can talk down to Americans.

I think they are simply misinformed, not spreading false information out of malice.

That's why I said fusion power doesn't produce nuclear waste like fission

GE claims to have a working fusion plant due to come on the market in the next 2 years but I'll believe it when I see it.
In the mean time fission is the best stop-gap we have while developing fusion.

t. rodrigo mariachi lopez

fusion has been 2 years away since the 1960s

It's been 20 years away since the '60s, we have improved it by an order of magnitude.

This is the kind of lie they sell you on cereal packets in the us, isn't it? Europe is well ahead of the rest of the world in energy policy, despite having two major oil producers in the bloc.
Listen bud. america is the butt of more jokes than hitler. it is the laughing stock of the third world and like an embarassing aunt with dementia who thinks she's queen to more developped nations. your era is over. ya blew it. nobody likes you, nobody wants to be like you and nobody is afraid of you either. suck it up and enjoy the memories of your fattest moment. you are history, faggots.

Yes goyim we are the chosen progressive people. We much get away from those evil arab oil producers and invest in my solar power. Long live europe and the European Union!

Thanks for your contribution.

Less energy would be needed in the long run if we wipe out all the minorities.

Your shit template thread never had a chance

If we applied less energy to your posting, there would be no posts at all.

friendly reeminder a bunch of sandniggers with 30 year old ammo have been shafting the american colon non-stop for the last 20 years.

friendly reminder that the last time america came out on top in a military conflict they were fighting fascism 70 years ago and even then they turned up late and refused to go home afterwards.

friendly reminder that you epitomise the contemporary american moron: ignorant, arrogant, drunk on self-agrandisizing lies and nasty as fuck.

go chill on netflix with your 12 gauge. watch the election entertainment and drink shitty beer. jesus, the end can't come fast enough.

on how america will kick ass when oil runs low? superman doesn't really exist. it's time to wake up.

I'm , and actually want to hear others opinions on energy solutions for the near future.
While intelligent discussion on Holla Forums may seem impossible it was common here only 2 years ago.

Why do I get the sense you come from a noguns commie shithole? Regardless it really is hard to hear you over all this fucking FREEDOM

The nineties called. They want their angst back.

Ethanol is broken fam. It is terrible for normal engines, so auto makers had to build around it. All that farm equipment has to run on something tbh. Ethanol is also less fuel efficient.

Finally, ethanol is only profitable for farmers due to government gibmedats

Check yourself before you pep yourself.

available in family size gallon buckets

Hooray for discussion.
For any modern engine all they need is a Flex Fuel Sensor built in from the factory, this isn't expensive and allows the engine to run on both petroleum and ethanol interchangeably in any ratio.
This is just an ECU change and it much simpler than the valve seat hardening that was required to move away from leaded fuel.

They can run on ethanol too, a diesel engine can run on just about anything and the early prototypes even ran on coal. While this would have to be fixed ratios unlike petrol engine it's not that hard.

Depends on tuning, with a flex sensor it's actually got higher energy density offering more work for a given volume of fuel but you will use a little more over a set distance due to the extra power.

This thread is about when oil it rare / expensive, once oil increases in price a couple of fold ethanol will be both cheaper and profitable.

By the argument of 'when the time comes where oil runs out' we shall probably have decent batteries to make electric cars that dont suck dick.

Hopefully but I would honestly consider that in the same bag as fusion given how many orders of magnitude batteries need to improve by to compete with hydrocarbons.

Why not just have solar roadways that power the car like a bumper car :^)

SOLAR FREAKIN' ROADWAYS!

What about airplanes? They need jet fuel to melt steel memes. Accept to substitute

There are many applications where dino-juice is the only option, that is why we need to save it while we can.

Not an argument

Wouldn't depleting it faster spur development in alternative energies sooner?

Sure but it also means that hydraulic fluid and grease become prohibitively expensive while not having a suitable replacement.
Oil is used for lots of things and while we can run engines on other fuels we can't do everything oil is used for without it.

then i eat my salad with vinegar only i guess

Because of fracking, American oil will be abundant and cheap for decades. By the time oil gets expensive again, battery technology will be a lot cheaper. Cheap enough for poor people to buy electric cars. And America has enough coal to last for centuries. By the time coal runs out, we will have thorium reactors and/or fusion power.

long before you rip enough energy out of an already dying american landscape to survive 25 years without importing oil, you'll be buying drinking water and bottled air from canada through a sanitary cordon along your borders.

Who told you that shit? Al Gore? The landscape is fine.

Responsible fracking has negligible effects on the environment

Oil is a renewable resource. "Fossil Fuel" is actually a theory. Rothschild created it to raise the price

Watch Jan Irving talk about it on his youtube gnotic media

How can people on this board actually believe this?

Sheep just stay asleep.

Do some fucking research, you moron.

Have you seen what Germany did to Greece?