Is the nostalgia of the old internet over rated?

Is the nostalgia of the old internet over rated?

youtube.com/watch?v=hWq4DWfrpu8

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/web/
web.archive.org/web/20090125094818/http://www.maximumpc.com/articles/features
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

very much so

no

underageb& detected

go to bed, you old coot

No it was our golden age.

That guy had surprisingly good music/anime tastes though...

wow kids just keep getting younger every year

Anything previous to 94-95 was proto-internet years. What do you want him to say?

Only one way to find out: archive.org/web/

Great Scot!

web.archive.org/web/20090125094818/http://www.maximumpc.com/articles/features

If the internet radio stations that provide the sonic lubricant for my shitposting were to stop broadcasting, I don't think I would use the computer much.

the internet was never good

In the beginning there was select shitposting
and it was selectively shit
Nowadays we have shitposting for the masses, shitposting for dummies, shitpost likes and shitty shitpost followers and generic shitty templates for the massproduction of shitposts as we all shitpost effortlessly on the shitweb 2.0 in the shitcloud

it was never good. it just became more accessible

pleb tier

Internet radio is not the same as modern streaming services.

191 kbps, no advertisements

Still shit

I have shit taste, so it works for me.

At least you are willing to admit it

wew

Nigger are you retarded? Just because you are a retard doesn't mean everyone else is.

nope. it was proto-web, sure, but not proto-Internet. there were hardly any VAX/VMS mainframes left in the 90s, you don't even know what you're talking about.

What linux user were like back in the 90's? are they all bunch of slackware fags?

Pretty much. Back then internet was for nerds. So linux fags were the nerdiest of nerds.

most people involved were programmers. there was no money in it and it wasn't really political either. the problem was that PCs were now 32 bit and had all the capabilities to run UNIX but nobody wanted to port it to the PC. Linux was the answer to that.

one thing people don't know is that WINE is probably the oldest project associated with Linux. there was WINE before Linux even went 1.0.

First generation of the internet: Usenet at colleges and universities.

Second generation of the internet: 1992, the year AOL started distributing internet demos

Third generation of the internet: 2007, the rise of social media and the release of the iPhone.

The old web was decentralized into many small and medium sized sites instead of a few big ones, people made their own homepages instead of Facebook profiles, and there was no social media shitting up everything. Social media is likely the worst thing about the modern web and just makes societal problems worse or even creates them in the first place. I hope one day people would realize how bad it is and do away with it.

On the other hand the web now offers more things and is technically more advanced.

That video is a near exact representation of what I was up to at the same time. The only real difference is that I hadn't discovered anime yet (but I listened to some Japanese music).

The deployment of the WWW should be the start of the second gen I think.

this video is golden, it gave me chills

Thanks for reminding me that there was an anime adaptation of that being released.
Now to go watch it and be depressed.

There's people here who were born when that video was recorded, 18 years ago. 18 years before my birth was 1966. The events in this video are as distant to them as 1966 is to me. Or maybe it doesn't seem that distant to them since using a computer and the web hasn't changed that much since 1998. In 1966 there weren't even any personal computers.

Ah wait I had a brainfart, I meant to say that 1998 to them is like 1984 to me.