Programming advice

I want to learn how to make programs etc but I find it kind of... boring. Anyone else also find it this way. I'm learning C++ specifically

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LrEvoKI07Ww
youtube.com/watch?v=xcIBoPuNIiw
youtube.com/watch?v=PbwaFQ2r2c4
youtube.com/watch?v=I7-Jo9vAb-c
youtube.com/watch?v=y1EgqlShZWs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah. I've learned a bunch of languages to a decently advanced level, and I've never had any motivation to do anything with the knowledge unless I absolutely have to. The only time I've actually had to was for University courses. I have 2 degrees in computer science graduating with honors both times, and yet I have no motivation to do anything.

Oh fuck yes. Too oriented towards rapid results. I'm one of those who can literally do anything with a computer as far as repair, admin etc. but I can't write code. I can barely write a script.
I give up too easy on self-study. Not going to take any classes, either -no time. I figure if I started earlier in life I'd be programming, but yeah. Maybe in my next life.

drop C++ posthaste
Instead, start learning JavaScript. It's so immediate and accessible that you can play with it ```right now``` in the window you're reading these words through.

If you don't know what to do with a language, especially c++. Instead of learning some shitscript, just learn some of the more advanced things in c++. C++ is just an endless pit of useful features. Learn how to program microcontrollers or something, arduino runs c++ just fine.

Good advice, I don't see anything wrong with that

in itself programming is fun by it's core. It's all about seeking logic. If you're quite bored of simple input and output of simple text to give you the result of your logic, then go get an external library and make something more visually attractive. If even after playing with a graphical library(SDL, SFML,...) or any kind of library, you still found it booring, it is possible that in the end you aren't meant to program(which I don't hope).

here's some interesting:
youtube.com/watch?v=LrEvoKI07Ww
youtube.com/watch?v=xcIBoPuNIiw
youtube.com/watch?v=PbwaFQ2r2c4

why? It's a failed langauge that is only supported by web browser. Unless you're goal is to make shitty button with animation or 2mb script for data mining on a pointless website, there's no point of doing that. It's the most boring thing to do.

POO IN THE LOO PAJEET

my native langauge is french and I'm white. What does it makes you think that I poo in the loo?

Holla Forumsacks can't keep their views on their board

Your language cadence reads sort of streetshitter-esque. There's something specific about the way they write that stands out, strange use of words, etc.

best of luck getting the mudslimes out of your country

Go back to reddit sjw

Try Python. Less frustrating than learning in C++ because you can get shit done faster.

Why learn programming when you can be a worthless piece of shit arguing identity politics on an imageboard all day?

Just look at these glowing testimonials

Why use imageboards when you are a faggy redditor that gets triggered by people on imageboards? Because you can't possibly go one day without forcing your cultural marxist faggotry on everyone else of course. Fuck off redditor

to be fair, poo in the loo is related to Holla Forums raging at pajeet programmers/engineer has been a thing for more than a decade. Has obvious it's not all pajeet, but from experience most indian programmer from india only became programmer for the purpose of money and nothing else. the code quality is dangerously awful.

Well i'm from quebec, so...
>youtube.com/watch?v=I7-Jo9vAb-c

I might just accept algerian influence. I didn't got sick in their restaurent yet as oppose to pajeet one.

>>>Holla Forums

Go back to reddit.

OP here, I'm reading this book because this is what Uni uses in some classes. This may sound like a silly question, but are there any programing books that are kind of fun? That make it more interesting?

Forgot pic

Just ignore them.

try "The Little Schemer"

your dream and will off programming.

What?/

Maybe some coobs will help.

well holy fuck talk about getting the most awful intro possible: overly formal books with a picture of some random object on the front.

Just learn python or racket already and make awesome shit, like a tic-tac-toe game, a brainfuck interpreter, or even a tic-tac-toe bot. Should be easy enough.

And if that's too hard buy a decent book. SICP for all I care.

This right here. It's a lot more 'fun' to work with when you get near instant feedback. It's also nice to be able to pull in external modules that can really do a large part of the heavy lifting.

Plus it's based on C++, so it's probably what C++ is going to be in the future anyway.

Programming a game is probably the best way to pick up on the most of what any language can offer.

If you feel adventurous, find a copy of Star Ship Simulation by Roger Garrett. This discusses the design of a multi-console bridge simulator, originally intended for dumb terminals with code snippets in FORTRAN. It is by no means a hand-holding tutorial, but it does fit the "interesting" requirement.

Other than that, you don't really need a book to have "fun" with the language. There's tons of tutorials and example snippets out there for support libraries. Qt has great documentation and examples for starters. Pick a game engine, and there's more than likely at least one tutorial or one open source project you can pick apart and learn from.

Maybe you should get out of your comfort zone. Try making something that's a bit (not too much obviously) above your level, and learn as you go.

I find that my most enjoyable experiences are when I get stuff to work that I didn't even know I could get to work. It doesn't even have to be hard, it just has to appear hard when you start.

For example I made a sudoku solver and later I made a brainfuck interpreter. Both turned out to be pretty easy, but I didn't think I could do it so it was a real "holy shit I did it" moment

Most high-level languages are implemented in C/C++, that doesn't mean they're meant to replace them. Mcfucking kill yourself.

You wouldn't happen to have a PDF of that would you? It sounds like something I'd like to read, but I can't find it in any of the usual ebook places.

You just gotta make a nice game.
youtube.com/watch?v=y1EgqlShZWs