Zen Film Making

Zen Film Making.

If you've seen pocket ninjas, Death comes to Frog Town and what not you may be familiar with Zen Film Making.a term coined by Scott Shaw in which the film maker approaches the art of crafting a movie in the same way one may approach the zen lifestyle.

You film as you go and hope a plot arrives from the things you've filmed with no foresight or plan but simply being in the moment in each scene.

What are your thoughts on it?
Does Mr Shaw have a point?
By extension, do you think that things like webm compilations/comic generators etc are simply an abstract version of this?

I'm too stupid to offer anything insightful but this thread's topic seems like it could generate an interesting discussion.
Here's for more exposure to other intelligent anons so I can read your posts like the unimaginative cuck that I am.

Are the Star Wars prequels the ultimate zen kino?

Yeah, no.

Did you even read the OP?

Jeez, I never thought I'd see a thread about Shaw on Holla Forums. First off, it's Hell Comes to Frogtown (Starring Roddy Piper's evil twin). Second, if you haven't, everyone needs to watch The Roller Blade Seven.

Shaw definitely has a point in his intention, but the end result leaves a lot to be desired, not to mention he sells his movies for far too fucking much.

Yes. Did you?

You're literally missing the point

Ah sorry with the title it's been a few years. I read his book not too many years ago and even tried my hand at it for my final production (film student) and it came out well.

Our film was "Three friends try to come up with an idea for a film that is due in three days" so we did just that we'd film us shit talking then when one of us said the words "what if" we'd go and film that scene. Everything from a guy who gets magical powers based on glam rock to a sci-fi about Jiang-shi all made with a 0 dollar budget.

At first we got a shit grade but after explaining what we were doing our prof ate it up. Was one of the better experiences I've had making a film

If you can get a conversation with Shaw, himself, do it. He's an interesting character who knows a lot of people, and if you're hoping to get in to the industry, he's a guy it helps to be on first name basis with.

What is the point? Seems to me you're just advocating for mediocrity, lowering the bar even further than it already is and diluting the market to make filmmakers with actual talent connect with an audience.

*to make it harder for filmmakers with actual talent to connect with an audience

There's an audience for everything, user.

Fine, just realize your artistic equivalency means there is literally no difference between Lawrence of Arabia and pic related. It's also the reasoning behind the likes of cisbusters and TFA there's an audience for everything hence every audience must be pandered to.

forgot pic

That's great but why does it make you this mad?

Because everything is so shit. It's gotten to the point now where anything not shit is instantly attacked for not being "inclusive" or diverse enough. Why not have a dark tower movie with black Roland? So what if it's antithetical to the source material black people watch movies too. Better just to make everything shit that way people with no business in the industry can feel better about themselves. I get liking bad things ironically but that only works when there are good things to compare their mediocrity to.

I think you mistake the purpose of the act. It's not about making an easy movie, it's about challenging yourself and creating order and syncronicity from the chaos and being in the moment as a film maker. It's not something that will make money but is something to do to experience the experience nothing to do with the monetary gain. It's like the "Meme Magic" threads, you're supposed to find the threads and chase them not because you're going to gain something but because you might be able to make something coherent out of the chaos and soon find how much there is. It's, and I know you'll hate me saying it's, something fun to do with friends but could never be a "normal" way to create a film.

Fair enough.

You're missing the point. You don't have to fill every movie with every type of person, just make the fucking movie you want to make. Movies need to be treated more like music is these days, with easy distribution for everyone, allowing the public to decide what's worth buying.

This. The three movies I was excited for this year were TFAS Broly Movie, Protomen's Light up the Night and PewDiePie: RWDS The Movie aka 'ENOUGH IS ENOUGH'

While Scott Shaw was indeed awesome, his mentor, Donald G Jackson, is the real star of Zen Film. Under his cinematic expertise, we go back to Frogtown another two times, and we visit the wild antics of the Roller Blade 7, three times, all while maintaining to string Joe Estevez and Robert Z'Dar along for the ride.

I really think you could have made your point without my ever having seen that

A true patrician and a human being

tfw in film school we used to do 'three week benders' where we'd all go out and try to make a film then return with our products and drink and laugh to see what zen produces. most of it was great. tfw will never be able to do it again

"I need to make a point but how can I do it WITHOUT showing an asshole"

One of my friend's summer film projects will involve a two week bender and Zen film making, project tentatively named "BioBlast". No lewd though, which kind of sucks.

Bitch you high