UK's new home secretary will have the power to ban end-to-end encryption

The political power, anyway. This could be disastrous for UK tech, and potentially other places if they follow suit. Thank fuck the US already decided not to do this I think, don't quote me on it

archive.is/Lvr6U
highlights:

They're pulling the usual "muh terrorism" excuse. Interesting point Strasburger brings up about the next iPhone potentially being illegal - probably the only way for normies to start giving a shit about issues like this is if companies like Apple refuse to comply, thus potentially outlawing the things normies care about.

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2016/06/17/non_us_encryption_is_theoretical_claims_cia/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If this is their definition of terrorism then I'm proud to be a terrorist.

top kek

In all seriousness, this doesn't work. How would you "disable" the transmission of data that might or might not have been encrypted with OpenPGP or whathaveyou.

Yes, let's ban SSL and do financial transactions unencrypted over the open internet. If this goes through, hopefully the braindead politicians who pushed it through will have their bank accounts compromised as a direct result of it.

These people are fucking nuts. Seriously, what are they going to do, force everyone to use a government-issued thin client to a mainframe that they manage? How the fuck do they expect to keep people from encrypting things?

Also, assuming they actually make it happen, I'm going to laugh my ass off when skiddies take every penny they own. These people are morons.

Even Bin Laden used an air-gap.

I wonder what Bin Laden's LAN parties were like?

By requiring companies remove it from their software. Mass surveillance prevents that one in a million person from becoming a populist leader as they'll likely have left a trail of decades of dirt prior to realizing they're going to be someone important. Use of strong encryption after you know you have something to hide doesn't concern the government.

What an actual bunch of fucking retards. If this is to stop terrorism then the terrorists will simply resort to another method, such as postal mail or meeting in person.

but not the power to restrict it's availability.
I'd be surprised if facebook even kow towed to this.

metadata is what they really want anyway. this just sounds like a bunch of chest beating.

How could they feasibly remove features like this from free software developed in other countries? And if they ban the acquisition and use of software like GPG in th UK, what makes them think that whomever they are attempting to surveil won't just acquire it anyway, since I can't imagine the legality of counter-surveillance technology affecting anyone but legitimate users like journalists and activists.

Has she said how she plans to actually do it?

If I'm using Tox and I call my friend down the river using Tox are the bobbies going to show up at both of our houses and arrest/shoot us or what? I mean obviously they'd be able to find us because of the GHCQ and NSA so....

The Bataclan terrorists organized using plain unencrypted wiretapped SMS; these government terrorists in suits want everyone else to do the same so they can blend in with the crowd easier.

(((They))) will find a way

Might end up like that piracy thing, where all you get is a poxy letter telling you that you're a bad and need to stop

they have no idea what they are talking about.

"
Non-US encryption is 'theoretical,' claims CIA chief in backdoor debate"

"CIA director John Brennan told US senators they shouldn't worry about mandatory encryption backdoors hurting American businesses.

And that's because, according to Brennan, there's no one else for people to turn to: if they don't want to use US-based technology because it's been forced to use weakened cryptography, they'll be out of luck because non-American solutions are simply "theoretical."

Thus, the choice is American-built-and-backdoored or nothing, apparently."

theregister.co.uk/2016/06/17/non_us_encryption_is_theoretical_claims_cia/

yay!

The restrictions do not apply to those who rule the country. They will not have any problems.

Terrorists win.

Is this guy even serious?
I mean the very day it's illegal in the US, GPG is forked and no longer american, so boom, legal everywhere except the US.

France tried to ban encryption once, and it ended badly and they repelled it since. Can't people learn from past mistakes?

What are some good encryption programs?

These people are politicians, what did you expect?

Wow. This is some round-earth denial level bullshit.

Look at current Yurop and think very hard about it again.

You'd almost think he suffered from minor brain damage. What is GnuPG? What is LibreSSL?

Wat

I don't want congrats, we need to get tough and we need to get smart.

Dank reply user