RX 400 series/Vega/Navi News General

Vega 10 (RX 490) reaches development milestone:

videocardz.com/61361/amd-confirms-vega-10-gpu-reaching-development-milestone

RX 470 ($150USD) and RX 460 ($100USD) Specifications confirmed:

videocardz.com/62117/amd-confirms-radeon-rx-470-and-rx-460-specifications

RX 480 PCI-E power draw issue fixed:

pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Power-Consumption-Concerns-Fixed-1671-Driver

Other urls found in this thread:

videocardz.com/62101/more-pictures-of-custom-radeon-rx-480-graphics-cards-emerge
videocardz.com/62215/his-radeon-rx-480-iceqx2-roaring-pictured
smartredirect.de/redir/clickGate.php?u=lnwCExJb&m=1&p=3d26AYJ0k7&t=p09f7K1v&st=&s=&splash=2&url=https://www.skhynix.com/static/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=330&r=http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=562438&page=479
h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02693325-36)
overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html
overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-devil-13-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-188-pc.html
youtube.com/watch?v=BS_i_uPrN6c
videocardz.com/62250/amd-vega10-and-vega11-gpus-spotted-in-opencl-driver
videocardz.com/62280/asus-rog-announces-strix-radeon-rx-480-available-mid-august
imgur.com/PrUCaeY
quasarzone.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=qn_report&wr_id=3087
youtube.com/watch?v=JVAag1cp8hk
videocardz.com/62489/powercolor-announces-radeon-rx-480-red-devil-for-269-usd
arlt.com/Gaming/Gaming-Hardware/Grafikkarten/AMD/Sapphire-Radeon-RX-480-Nitro-OC.html?utm_medium=CpC&utm_campaign=PSM&utm_source=idealo
youtube.com/watch?v=O7fA_JC_R5s
techarp.com/articles/amd-radeon-rx-460-sneak-peek/
game-debate.com/news/20871/amd-posts-strong-financial-results-following-rx-480-launch-and-bumper-console-sales
videocardz.com/62511/sapphire-radeon-rx-470-and-rx-460-pictured
guru3d.com/news-story/msi-launches-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-4g-and-8g.html
anandtech.com/show/10518/amd-announces-radeon-pro-ssg-polaris-with-m2-ssds-onboard
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-RISC-V-Next-Gen-Falcon
videocardz.com/62672/amd-radeon-rx-470-and-radeon-rx-460-official-specs-and-performance
videocardz.com/62685/xfx-and-sapphire-radeon-rx-470-460-pictured-up-close
bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2016/01/h-dot-265-slash-hevc-vs-h-dot-264-slash-avc-50-percent-bit-rate-savings-verified
8ch.net/v/res/10129621.html
techreport.com/news/29666/firepro-s7100-graphics-cards-bring-hardware-gpu-virtualization-to-life
semiaccurate.com/2016/05/25/amds-firepro-s7100x-hardware-virtualized/
techfrag.com/2016/03/08/sk-hynixs-4gb-hbm2-hit-mass-production-in-q3-8gb-hbm2-in-q4/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202230
pcgamesn.com/amd/rx-480-vs-gtx-1060-vulkan
archive.is/pGWoq
archive.is/4ef1Q
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Power-Consumption-Concerns-Fixed-1671-Driver
videocardbenchmark.net/
bytemedev.com/the-gtx-780-ti-sli-end-of-life-driver-performance-analysis/
youtube.com/watch?v=dgCTyrQ05og
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ASUS, XFX, Gigabyte, Sapphire, MSI and Powercolor custom RX 480 cards spotted:

videocardz.com/62101/more-pictures-of-custom-radeon-rx-480-graphics-cards-emerge

What I am most excited about is the 2017/18 "Navi" architecture, which is rumored to house two or more GPU's on the same interposer, which effectively means that two or more GPU's are treated as one by the OS and 3D application.

Pic related is an mock-up diagram that is edited from a Fury X diagram that could show what Navi would look like.

Since Big die GPU's are expensive to produce and yields per wafer are very poor, using two smaller chips on an intetrposer would mean the same or better performance, lower production cost, better yields and no issues with multi GPU support since they share HBM2 and are treated as one GPU by the application.

If they manage to pull this off this will be the next big breakthrough in the GPU industry.

HIS Radeon RX 480 IceQX2 Roaring pictured

videocardz.com/62215/his-radeon-rx-480-iceqx2-roaring-pictured

NVIDIAFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

That sounds really neat, i was wondering what Navi was all about but it couldn't be a new memory interface (at least not limited to that) because HBM is fairly new. As you say, two GPUs effectively treated as one would scale better than current mGPU solutions while bypassing their limitations.

SKHynix listing HBM2 for Q3 2016

smartredirect.de/redir/clickGate.php?u=lnwCExJb&m=1&p=3d26AYJ0k7&t=p09f7K1v&st=&s=&splash=2&url=https://www.skhynix.com/static/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=330&r=http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=562438&page=479

A Vega 10 powered RX 490 by the end of the year with HBM2 is looking very likely.

The scaling would be fantastic, imagine the high end version of Navi with 4 GPU's on the interposer, sounds great.

I don't give a shit about hardware HEVC support. Intel already does VP9, do these?

What I don't understand, is that HBM2 is fairly "next-gen" already, so I wonder what they mean by this.

Why? Unless you were buying a budget card they're still not even remotely competitive. And if they were I'd just buy their card instead as PC is not a fucking console war.

it would also be better at vulkan and dx12 wouldn't it?

I have an old HPE-510y (h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02693325-36) and I've been looking for a cheap card to keep it alive another 5 years until Zen and 4K displays become the norm.

Hoping you're right about the 460/470 prices because that's insanely cheap even if they are only about as good as a 960.

never forget the 1.7% leaked emails

People like you are bad with money, not because they spend it on high-end parts, but because they are so out of touch with average economics.

Why aren't they released already?

I want to upgrade from my current crossfired R9 280's.

It would mean their would be no need for xfire, why buy 2 cards when you can buy a Navi card with two big GPU's on a interposer and with perfect a scaling and no need for special mGPU support.

It would be recognized as one GPU, where DX12/Vulkan sees two GPU's and spreads the load between them.

What are these rumors that the RX 490 is a dual Polaris 10 card? Seems pretty unlikely with the Vega 10 chip. Or maybe they brought some of the Navi features foward, maybe packaged as a Multi-chip module?

Should be before the end of the month, the sapphire and powercolor ones are available on Overclockers.co.uk in a few days, they are taking pre-orders.

overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37b-sp.html

overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-devil-13-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-188-pc.html

They both say ETA 22nd of July, so expect cards from every store around then.

XFX RX 480 shown off by Korean YouTuber

youtube.com/watch?v=BS_i_uPrN6c

AMD VEGA10 and VEGA11 GPUs spotted in OpenCL driver

SI: TAHITI
CI / GFX7: MILOS, KRYPTOS, HAWAII, NEVIS, PENNAR, BONAIRE, Kabini
VI / GFX8: ICELAND, TONGA, CARRIZO, BERMUDA, racerx, FIJI
GFX81: AMUR, STONEY, ELLESMERE, DERECHO
GFX9: GREENLAND, RAVEN1X, VEGA10, VEGA11

I thought Vega 10 and Greenland are the same thing?

Perhaps "Greenland" is the 4K XBOX "Project Scorpio" APU? Where Vega 10 is the GPU part without the rest of the components that make it a SoC.

Vega 11, which is the even bigger Vega chip, is spotted as well.

videocardz.com/62250/amd-vega10-and-vega11-gpus-spotted-in-opencl-driver

7/29/2016 for RX 460

8/4/2016 for RX 470

Release dates from a Korean distributor.

RX 460 at the end of the month.

Only decoding support at the moment.

Maybe VP9 encoding support with a driver update.

rumor has it is that the Zen APU will be using HBM.

Will I experience bottleneck with the 480 if I use a FX 8350?

If you are playing a game with DX11 you will. But DX12 and Vulkan you will not.

I don't play any games with DX12. Should I get a GTX 960 instead to avoid bottlenecking?

You will be bottlenecked regardless, buying a GTX 960 now is a stupid move, the RX 470 or even 460 will beat it for much less money.

The bottleneck is the 8350 due to its poor IPC and single core performance, Vulkan fixes this however, it just needs more adoption.

I'd recommend a RX 470 if you are doing 1080p.

So basically I will be bottlenecked no matter what GPU I get.

Pretty much, just wait for more Vulkan games to come out, or buy an Intel CPU, or wait for AMD Zen.

Eventually, but it's doubtful that first gen Zen APUs will actually have HBM. Maybe Zen+ will, but you're right in that AMD has it planned for the future.

Computers are so cheap today and change so infrequently that you have no excuse. My first HD was 20 megabytes and cost (adjusted for inflation) $7k. $100 more to get a decent video card isn't going to hurt anyone but people who should be out getting a job or education instead of fucking around with games.

WHY?

Jesus Christ

Low level API's are bad?

It's a low end graphics card. It probably can't even handle 4gb that's why.

Do you think a 480 is overkill for 1080p? I am the kind of person to turn off things like antialiasing as well.

I also only have 60hz at the moment.

Think a 480 would be enough for my 1440p monitor?

It would literally be two cards in one.

MY BODY IS READY

470 should do 1080p fine.

It won't get 60FPS in every game, but most it should.

Depends how long you want to keep your card. I think 470 will work well for some time, but the 480 will need to be replaced a lot later. It also depends on how well Vulkan does. If it does well, the 470 (and 480) are going to age a lot better. Personally I think it's better to spend the extra $50 or whatever on the 480, just so you can upgrade later and the card holds up better as games get more demanding (or the developers get lazier and games run worse).

480 is close for 1440p. It's good enough now but it probably won't be a year or two from now. But again, it really matters how well Vulkan does. 480 sees around a 20% increase (at least in nuDoom) with Vulkan. I'm running 1440p and a 7970, and I'm planning on holding off until Vega. But I keep my cards a while usually. I still have my 7970, but I'd like to get one of those cheap Korean 4k monitors eventually.

Cheap 4k is coming. You can already get a Crossover 289k with a TN panel for under $300 on ebay, and Crossover 4k IPS is under $500 on ebay. I usually buy a bigger card than I need and then upgrade my monitor. I went from 1920x1200 with 7970, and it was overkill, to 1440p and 7970 and it was worth it. Next card I get will be 4k ready, even if I don't have a 4k monitor, so I can not have to upgrade my graphics card when I do get a 4k monitor.

for what purpose

My GPU is showing signs of dying and is just outside of warranty, guess I'll get a 480 and hopefully the one gpu that sucks your dick isn't released immediately after.

I assume some shitty hardware out there is trying to save money on licensing.

There can't be too much margin on these things, wonder how retailers feel

I plan to get a new computer around when Volta is released in 2018. This is not meant to be a future proof or long lasting build, just to give me a tolerable amount of FPS until then.

So for this reason I'm going with the 470. I also feel like getting a 480 would make me less encouraged to upgrade sooner which isn't the kind of mindset I want.

exactly this.. wtf are they doing?

ASUS ROG Strix RX480 To launch mid August:

videocardz.com/62280/asus-rog-announces-strix-radeon-rx-480-available-mid-august

ASUS AMD cards are not usually that good anyway, they usually copy+paste the cooler of their Nvidia cards.

Powercolor Devil 480 Available July 21st.

imgur.com/PrUCaeY

XFX RX 480 in detail pictures.

quasarzone.co.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=qn_report&wr_id=3087

There will be no reference RX 470/60, only custom cards, the Manufacturers could choose to make a 4GB 460 if they wish.

Just not in price

Fanless when

youtube.com/watch?v=JVAag1cp8hk
killing yourself when? good job making AMD looking more like a shit company, can't wait to hear the announcement of their bankruptcy.

even that shitty video shows the 480 is a better choice.

So basically, if you have no patience, no interest in open source drivers, and no intention on holding on to your card for more than a year, get a 1060. If you want something that's good now and still good in two or three years, get the 480.

The 1060 is complete overpriced shit. It's already getting BTFO in Doom by the 480.

I wonder what it's like being this frugal on paperweights

so get a 1080, why should you care how a 1060 performs, richfag?

vulkan & dx12 are going to be the standard for AAA soon enough. UE4, Unity, Cryengine, Frostbite, etc. are all going to have it.

because you perma-virgins defend this which is funny to see :^)
I'm saving for the phanktec 1080 friend

okay Holla Forumsposter

There is more countries than the USA retard.

Back to /g/ faggot, supporting your good goy company.

People who knowing buy Nividia deserve to have their card gimped when the next gen comes out.

Vulkan is the future, enjoy having the GTX 1060 smashed when Vulkan and DX12 become more mainstream, Nividia can't even do Async compute, false advertising again.

The custom RX480's are not even out yet and retards are comparing a OC'd custom 1060 to a thermal throttling reference RX 480, this is how retarded nividia shills are.

Gsync Monitors are much more expensive than their FreeSync counterparts.

Yeah, they weren't bought for Jewgle Chrome and jerking around in Dota 2

typical amdrone poorfag

Do you notice the upgrade to 4k?

I saw the 5k mac and didn't see anything outstanding.

I didn't notice that big a jump from 1080p to 1440p either.

Retards like you allow Nvidia to continue their shitty business practices. Kill Yourself.

best goy

kill yourselves underage b&

still better than jewvidia fag

No thanks shlomo

Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ on par with GTX 980/1060

Long time AMD/ATI user here

AMD IS FINISHED

The only reason I regret buying a GTX 1070 to replace my failed HD7970, is because the GTX 1060 is even better value

The GTX 1060 beats the performance of the RX 480 and should be available in the next 2 weeks or so on Amazon for only US$250 (+$15 if international)

BUT..

That's not the main reason why I went for a GTX 1070, and it shouldn't be the main reason you go for a GTX 1060!

My HD7970 crapped out after only 3 years, and I think it's due to the high temps (75-80 degrees) it would run at. Anything above 50% fan speed was also intolerably loud.

The RX 480 is even *worse* at 80+ degrees celsius full load

The GTX 1070 (and GTX 1060) for that matter, don't above 65-70, and most of the time the fans stay completely off.

No need to even consider the PCIE power issue.

Don't neglect temperatures and fan noise. With Nvidia you get peace of mind and 60+ fps @ 1080p no matter what settings you use. With AMD you get lies, worry and trash that throttles itself at stock clocks because the temps are *above* the card's safe limit.

The HD7970 was released in 2011. It is now 2016, and the equivalent model is only 24% faster and has even higher temps. Let that fact sink in for a second.

Nvidia doesn't even need to try to compete. They are stalling their releases to make maximum cash. AMD had to rush out their RX 480 to compete with Nvidia's successor to the 960 and STILL failed to match it for fuck's sake. They have NO ANSWER to the GTX 1070, let alone GTX 1080, or GTX 1080 Ti that is no doubt yet to come..

Enough is enough.

|
|>
|
|

You sound like an Apple user.

No, I'm not such a hypocrite.

The custom RX 480 beats the GTX 1060, no one buys the reference card anyway and expects a super-cool card, not to mention they fixed the PCI-E power draw issue, clearly you didn't read.

And Nvidia don't lie huh? They lied about proper DX12/Vulkan support, gameworks, tessellation the list goes on. Never mind the founders edition thermal throttling, so much for a "premium" cooler.

The RX 490 is not released yet.

Another retard who didn't read the thread and spergs out, you would be the kind of retard to buy a absurdly overpriced 1070 on an impulse buy, wait till the 1100 series comes out and see your driver "updates". Keep supporting the shitty company to continue their jew tactics.

Where did these come from?

Good to see competitive pricing from Powercolor.

videocardz.com/62489/powercolor-announces-radeon-rx-480-red-devil-for-269-usd

Apparently they were leaked from some German hardware reviewer, the clocks look pretty plausible as the Sapphire RX 480 has a 1306/1342 Base/Boost clock, as evidenced here:arlt.com/Gaming/Gaming-Hardware/Grafikkarten/AMD/Sapphire-Radeon-RX-480-Nitro-OC.html?utm_medium=CpC&utm_campaign=PSM&utm_source=idealo

1400Mhz does not sound too far fetched.

Nvidia can't compete, which is why they're following up the successes of bumpgate, 1.7% and 3.5GB with new scams like Gameworks and DX "12.1".

AMD doesn't need to compete with the "muh 160fps looks so good on this 60hz TN panel" ricer market, they own 100% of the console market for this gen and the next. They own the hardware almost all current-gen PC games are optimized for. They own the reference hardware for Vulkan now, too, having spent the last 10 years prototyping that API in Gallium.

You can add to this list introducing error code 43 for most of their graphic cards when they are used as guest cards in passthrough.

It seems nice but it does kinda look hideous.
Wait what the fuck am i saying itll be inside a case who the fuck cares what a graphics card looks like.

I dont know what to do.

Gtx 1060 looks good, but the RX 480 also looks good.

Plus there is the rx 490 coming out, and there is the whole Vulkan thing for AMD which seems to have huge impacts on performance.

I just want a card that will give me 60 fps at 1080 no problem for any game release in the next couple years.

Do you faggots honestly think this looks affordable? The saddest part is the 1060 is $34 cheaper than the 480.

Regards, Argentina
conversion rate in pics is ARS$15 = USD$1

14*

All this nvidia shilling is getting out of hand.

They're getting desperate.

They've been desperate since the original housefires.

I wasn't shilling at . Just expressing my disgust at seeing kikes charging 3 times the card's MSRP, with its higher-priced competitor being cheaper.

I don't pay attention to the buzzwords much, I prefer to look at the benchmarks to know the reality of it. The reality is that the GTX 1060 outperforms the RX 480 in every category of importance, including value-for-money.

I look mainly for 5 things in a card:

1. High fps
2. Low temps
3. Low fan noise
4. Overclocking headroom
5. No defects that would cause harm or performance loss

Nvidia has matched all five for me this year. AMD has matched none.

HD 7970 > 280X (rebadge) > 380X (rebadge 2.0) > RX 480

The HD7970 wasn't a top-of-the-line card.

The GTX 1070 does have 90% increased performance over the RX 480 at the same ratio of cost, however that was not the deciding factor for me.

After using a HD7970, I simply cannot stand the prospect of being distracted from my gaming with that fan noise or undervolting to help allay my fears that my GPU is about to melt.

Note: The RX 480 has EVEN WORSE temps & noise than the HD7970! (see attached image)

The GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 cards are not only the best value-for-money choices, they are the only reasonable choices.

Hell, even a discounted GTX 980 is a better option than the RX 480.

fuck off Holla Forums shill

benchmarks of the oldest i7 and the newest i7... what about the 2xxx and 4xxx i7s?

retard

moron

Powercolor had a shit 7970 cooler, that was your own fault for not researching the best AIB to buy.

Are you honestly fucking retarded?

Reference blower cards always run hot compared to custom aftermarket coolers, you are fucking retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=O7fA_JC_R5s

Best build with the 480?

Nice graphs you posted there, borrowed from Anandtech I assume? You know absolutely nothing what they mean.

The custom coolers for the RX 480 are not even out yet you fucking retarded cunt.

Confirmed retard.

Sneak Peek Of The AMD Radeon RX 460 In Action

Single slot too.

techarp.com/articles/amd-radeon-rx-460-sneak-peek/

That looks like a really sweet HTPC card.

The specific version you see there you can't buy of course, the 460/470 will be only custom/third party boards.

They did the same thing with the 360/370/380, the reference versions were not available for general sale and only the public could buy the custom cards. Only OEM's can buy the reference cards for system integration.

what you guys think of this.

That the guys at AMD aren't stuck up their own ass?

"Better dead than red" is exactly what they were referencing to. Notice how the banners are red, and how there's a closed fist on top of some of them.

isn't it pretty overpowered for an HTPC? Just playing videos?

Thanks captain!

arent aftermarket versions supposed to be released today?

nvidia got rekt

Of course you would have temperature and fan problems.
Next time buy from a not shitty brand.

See:

With the RX 480 you get either get unbearable fan noise, gimped performance or a load temperature you can cook an egg on - aftermarket or not.

I've attached the accompanying fan noise graphic conveniently left out by the poster, where you can see the Asus Strix RX 480 has noise of 41.5 dB(A) while the aftermarket MSI GTX 1060 runs at the same temp with noise of just 30.5 dB(A).

I got Powercolour cause it was cheaper by AUD$50 or so

I undervolted it and set custom fan curve in MSI afterburner, but it was still too loud and hot for my comfort.

That's what all high performance cards were like before, but now that Nvidia is offering the best performance cards with low temps and low fan noise, it's a no-brainer to get a GTX 1060 or GTX 1070.

See attached fan noise pic of aftermarket RX 480 vs aftermarket GTX 1060.

What temp worries you is subjective (for me it's 75+, and I find most other people think that too), but fan noise is not subjective. Fan noise WILL break immersion when you're playing a game, and those who aren't already victims of AMD are less likely to be aware of this. Low temps and low fan noise is much more worth your while than a few fps or dollars one way or the other, I assure you.

Get a GTX 1070, it's perfect for 1440p gaming

AMD's offerings get more pathetic with each passing year.

The RX 480 can't even achieve 60fps @ 1080p in the Witcher 3 with Hairworks off - if this is the best AMD can do with a game that is over a year old now, imagine how fucked they are for games to be released in coming years.

It's even got the console jews spooked it seems, with the recent speculation suggesting more frequent refreshes than the traditional time frame. They went with AMD for the last generation because AMD was willing to go the lowest, but you have to think that with how shit AMD's GPUs are, they might be considering Nvidia for the next generation so they don't have to shell out big sums for frequent refreshes - I mean does anyone here seriously believe AMD is going to match the GTX 1080 (or upcoming GTX 1080 Ti) anytime soon?

While this user is a faggot and Nvidia shill, he is correct in that currently, if you want to play at 1440p with everything cranked to max, the 1070 is the best choice, along with the Fury.

I will suggest to you user, that if money is the issue, the RX 480 and GTX 1060 are both quite capable of 1440p on Medium and High settings at good framerates. And in a lot of games, the fidelity difference between High and Ultra is fairly low. It's still a worthwhile consideration.

Does the fury have noise problems?

Should I wait another six months on top of two years I've already been waiting for the 490

For people who already have the 480, how does AMDGPU run on it? Better/worse than previous AMD/ATI open graphics drivers?

Asking because I'm really interested in the 470.

Encoding can be somewhat taxing (if you need that) and im sure it could also do some light gaming.

No, if you can grab the ~$300 Fury's then go ahead. Next big thing will be Navi and i doubt you're willing to wait that long.

Better, plus you can choose to use the fully open source driver stack if you're concerned about it. To be honest though, performance wise it's still catching up to nvidia, but there's much room from improvement, and unlike nvidia im not scared of them suddenly dropping support (which in the long run is essential).
I agree that the 470 (especially 4GB model) will probably be best bang per buck, and is very attractive to a lot of people who play at 1080p or less at high/medium-high quality without too many fancy post processing effects.

Are there any non-reference cards that are confirmed to not be shit yet?

This really is amdrones central.

Should go back to your hugsite with the other nvidia fanboys imo

Tell me more

So which will be the best one probably? Sapphire? MSI? XFX?

Do they really have a meaningful difference?

I just go by whichever company has the best customer service in my country.

The Sapphire RX 480 runs quieter that the jewvidia 1060, fuck off shill.

Continue sucking nvidias jew cock while you waste your money buttmad faggot.

Sapphire/XFX

Do we have some non-biased reviews yet?

Trying to pick between fury and 480

1060 was designed for last gen API's, the 480 smashes it in DX12/Vulkan.

Nvidia optimized their card for the past, and AMD the future.

Get the Fury if you can get it for $300, and have a high wattage PSU.

If you have 500w and under PSU get the Sapphire custom 480, which is on par or beats the 1060 in most games.

how?

Newegg sale

oh and my old PSU died and I'm on a cheapo one at the moment, will be getting a new PSU too.

see

I'm not sure it it's a common practice with most manufacturers, but MSI and ASUS at least were involved with giving reviewers higher clocked cards than the actual end product. It's not that big of an issue considering clock by itself isn't an absolute measure (it's relative to the architecture design) but it's still sketchy.
Also, for AMD, Sapphire has historically been the top-tier brand (kind of like EVGA for nvidia), but XFX (although i think they don't offer lifetime warranty anymore) is also good. About HIS, PowerColor and so on are also acceptable, but try to aim for a Sapphire or XFX card first if possible.

The 1070 is a very capable card, unfortunately you're forced to deal with nvidia proprietary technology along with it. If they were to release a firmware that allows use of open source Adaptive Vsync (not even FreeSync necessarily) and actual open source driver support on Linux, i'd recommend it for anyone in the ~$400 range. Most people don't see this as shortcomings and use Windows anyway, so they buy it, but personally i try to go for long(er) time solutions.

Well, there's always the possibility of getting a 1070 and selling it a bit before Vega's release assuming it doesn't devaluates like a bitch.

There's plenty of online wattage calculators, but i'd say a 650~700W good quality PSU should suffice.

game-debate.com/news/20871/amd-posts-strong-financial-results-following-rx-480-launch-and-bumper-console-sales
Ruh roh!

Most of the time they are cheaper, but add in the $60+ shipping.

nvidia owners, ladies and gentlemen.

tbf if you paid $1000 for a shit video card from jewvidia you'd be mad too

The Nitro is looking pretty baller, and I expect the XFX offering to be pretty solid. Outside of Sapphire and XFX though, I honestly couldn't say.

COMEDY GOLD
O
M
E
D
Y

G
O
L
D

MJPEG is useful for a lot of applications that need really (computationally and otherwise) cheap, fast compression. It's something like 80% of the performance of modern algorithms for 10% of the cost.

kek
feels good man.

You clearly have never heard of mpc-hc with madvr

I don't get it

Do you know madshi keeps adding new upscaling filters on a semi-regular basis? You need to keep up with him if you want to shit on his work.

WFT?? ALL THE HEAT IS GOING TO ESCAPE!!

what is this navi and how long would one have to wait for it?

I just bought a 1440p 144hz screen that on top of that also has freesync, what options do I have.

AMD cards are currently crap, and if I go for nvidia I can't make use of freesync. Also I don't really want to support nvidias anti consumer moves.

Can mpv be remote controlled? This is essential for my screening sessions.

see basically it could finally be the architecture to have all the benefits of two (or several) GPUs in the same PCB with little to none disadvantage.
Again, if you can buy from Newegg you're better off with a ~$300 Fury or Fury X for now.

Now they're going to charge $1200 for a Pascal Titan X (dunno the actual name) with GDDR5X. I'm not sure which niche they're aiming for, specially when it's well known that Ti cards perform far better for less money (their marketing team must be really good if they can manage not to cannibalize their own sales)

Yeah not going to wait that long, and I also feel bad about buying a old card, so I guess I will just wait for the rx490.

EC43 is the reason that stopped from getting an used cheapo nvidia card as guest for passthrough.

I have no info on the RX490, but the upcoming cards with HBM2 should come in October (Vega) and those should be plenty enough for 1440p/4k over 60fps (HBM2 allows a maximum of 16GB VRAM an higher bus width, plus the GPU itself should have a higher CU count).

Crossfire 480 or maybe 470s seem like a more plausible alternative than before thanks to Vulkan/DX12 or even explicit multi adapter, but the performance has always been dependent of the games and it can end up varying a lot, so i wouldn't recommend it at least for now.

Are those going to be flagships or just a bunch of mid range cards?

What happened to the good old days of 8800gt and 5850

mpv allows user-specified shaders. Do try to keep up.

So what's the difference between mpc with madvr and mpv with custom shaders?

The Chinks at MSY have the Fury for 500 didgeridoos. Puts it in line with the more expensive 1060s and 480s. Not really 300 USD but it's as close as we're probably going to get brand new.

Is that the smartest choice for strayans at this moment?

Sapphire Radeon RX 470 and RX 460 pictured

Sapphire "platinium edition" RX 470 (179USD rumored) and Custom RX 460 (2GB/4GB).

videocardz.com/62511/sapphire-radeon-rx-470-and-rx-460-pictured

Recently bought a Nano there and I am really pleased with it so I'm a bit biased on the issue. But in the performance bracket it is. The GTX 980 ($600), 980 Ti ($700), 1070 ($780) and Fury X ($800!) are all really overpriced for what they offer. Fury is better than the GTX 980 already, and matches the Fury X with an OC, 980 Ti too if you play at 1440p/4K. It's not cheap at $500, but it's the best price for performance card in that range at the moment. It depends mostly on what kind of performance you're looking for. No point getting a $500 GPU if you're content with 1080p 60 fps medium to high gaming when you have the RX 480 and GTX 1060 to do that for the next couple of years.

Unfortuantely I have a 1440p monitor.

Fury it is I guess, thanks.

Do cards really need more than 4GB of VRAM?

How about 390(x)?

Nice argument

Using stock Radeon HD 5670, my fan makes no noise. Check your privilege shitlord.

If you're planning on playing the latest gaymes at 1920x1080 or higher with muh ultra textures and/or AA then yes.
4GB VRAM is like having 8GB of RAM; it should be enough for most gaymes today, but that might change.

lets not forget 'futureproofing' is an extremely stupid concept

Will I be able to install all the sex related mods in skyrim on 1440p?

Yeh I wouldn't have much sympathy for hardware shops being robbed the way they are price gouging. Paper launch + TSMC nvidia problems + greed is pissing me off. There's still like $80 extra ghost cost: US newegg on the unavailable 1070 and that's before exchange.

I just want to play TSW and MGS at 2160 ~40 fps. This 960 ain't cutting it.

hardware stores are being robbed?

Nobody needs more than 640KB of RAM either

You look like you need that bbc in your mouth though.

It's so predictable, but I'm always still just a bit amazed. How fucking awful and pathetic our journalists are on every level, in every field.

'this website'

Journalists are first on the day of the rope.

And does anybody remember how awful the kids in high school that were part of the school paper or yearbook staff were? It's a special kind of bootlicker

Flagship. All HBM/Dual GPU on single interposer will be flagship for the next few years. GDDR5(x) is still way cheaper.
Price-wise HBM2 might be more cost-effective than the first gen because you can stack more memory, and GDDR5X is slowly taking the place of higher end cards (in the future cards below flagship level might commonly use this memory kind of like the 1080 does right now) but GDDR5 still has its place in mid level (and below) cards.

The whole video ram argument forgets that there's no point to storing a bunch of textures or video data in general if the compute units itself aren't fast enough to process them, and at that point you'll be lowering graphical options all the same but for different reasons. 8GB+ in high end cards makes sense because their horsepower can keep up, but in mid and lower end there's no point (for example, i don't see the RX 460 making much use of 4GB with only 16 CUs and being aimed at MOBAs it's not like it needs to anyway)

#upgrades

BTW, here are the temps of this beast

59 degrees max in Furmark, and that's with my heater on in this room (26.6 degrees ambient)

29-30 degrees at idle, fans are turned off

At max load, can't even hear the GPU (36-38% speed) above my CPU fan

This is the way it's meant to be played

Ok

Fuck off nvidia PR.

Enjoy piss poor Vulkan performance fag.

>>>/out/

MSI launches Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 4G and 8G

guru3d.com/news-story/msi-launches-radeon-rx-480-gaming-x-4g-and-8g.html

AMD Announces Radeon Pro SSG: Polaris With M.2 SSDs On-Board

anandtech.com/show/10518/amd-announces-radeon-pro-ssg-polaris-with-m2-ssds-onboard

but this doesn't help my gaymen at all ) =

Mid-August availability apparently.

how does it feel to live in pakistan

RX 480 Nitro + looks like best replacement for me. Deciding between 4-8GB (since i'm not paying and it's a streamer donation, I'm thinking 8GB).

What's everyone's experience of AMD drivers on arch?

AMD LIED ABOUT POLARIS H265 SUPPORT

No new release of their SDK since 2015.

Meanwhile, Nvidia has added several key features to their SDK:

- 10-bit support
- AQ
- Lookahead of up to 32 frames
- SAO
- Up to 8k resolution

On my GTX 1070 I get ~350 fps @ 720p using settings optimized for best quality.

On my i5-4670, I only get about 7fps using a tweaked 'slower' setting for the same clip.

It took me less than 4 minutes to encode an entire episode of Game of Thrones in H265 format @ 720p on my GTX 1070

Attached is a comparison of the CPU encode and the GPU encode.

Fuck off, jew. I'm not really interested into re-rendering videos, creating shitty webm memes, or YouTube videos, so opinion discarded.

I have more money than you faggot, but don't want to give it to the nvidia jew.

Fuck off cunt, this thread is for news, not your anti0AMD shilling retard.

Pretty good. My HTPC with a r7240 runs pretty good on less demanding tasks.

At least AMD cards get better over their lifetime when Nvidia cards go backwards.

All it's missing is a CPU and USB-C on the back, and you'd have a fully functional computer.

I bet you they're going to do that. That's why they've been interested in ARM lately.

And of course

But Nvidia will be the company, that brings RISC-V to our PCs
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-RISC-V-Next-Gen-Falcon

Guys, is Fury a good choice for gaymen?

suicide is a good choice for gaymen. Fury is pretty good for gaming though. If you're concerned, look at benchmarks for games you're into. If you don't mind waiting up to 6 months or so, wait for HBM2 cards.

Source or output? I have the blu-ray ISOs of GoT, but went with a 720p encode because it was quicker. It shouldn't make much difference, if at all, because the output bitrate is much lower anyway.

H265 can't retain all the fine detail even at high bitrates (yet), and it's harder to see differences when encoding at high bitrates, but I mainly used a low bitrate because that the point of H265 - to maintain watchable quality at a significantly reduced size.

Both were set to VBR 2-pass 700kbps. The CPU encode ended up being 711kbps, the GPU encode 693kbps. My point isn't to show which one is better (obviously the CPU encode is better), but to show that hardware encoding is actually a viable alternative now with Nvidia's Pascal GPUs.

Speed matters, especially if you're streaming or if say you want to convert your video collection to H265 to save space. Or suppose you want to send a 5 minute video to someone online, you want that completed in 30 seconds, not 30 minutes. Other applications such as remote desktop haven't arrived, but they could in future.

Yes, and Inifinity Next is coming.

I'm not 'supporting' anyone but myself by using H265, because I don't pay them money.

As for NetVC/Daala/AV1 or whatever incarnation its in now, it won't be available for years even if they get their their shit together. I might be wrong on this, but I think VP9 hardware decoding support has only just happened with the release of the Nvidia Pascal GPUs? How long do you think it will take for AV1 to be at the point where H265 is now? I think we're looking at 3-4 years at best, and by that time I intend to upgrade my GTX 1070 anyway.

Falcon is just the equivalent of the AMT chip on an Intel CPU.

Pleb as hell. Anyway, this seems wrong; the awful blocking and blurring (even for x265) gives it away.
I don't think you understand who's behind (and want a non jew codec) NetVC. Also, H265 is the equivalent of Intel newer generations: nothing new or almost compared to AVC with a lot lower performances.
We need something with a little more innovation.

Anyway, Nvidia would be okay if they didn't snob Nouveau like this. In the current state of things, you're just a cuck unable to boycott a shitty company.

HEVC really is still in its infancy. It may not survive childhood at this rate.

they'll somehow manage to shit it up with proprietary encrypted firmware

Anybody tried the new polaris stuff in linux 4.7?

waiting on updated BFS first

AMD Radeon RX 470 and Radeon RX 460 official specs and performance

RX 470: August 4th.

RX 460 August 8th.

videocardz.com/62672/amd-radeon-rx-470-and-radeon-rx-460-official-specs-and-performance

wtf... does this even put it on a level competing with the gtx950? Is this going to be priced below $100?

guess it's for normies

but normies don't know what AMD is?

Story of AMD's life

So the 470 is the lowest end Polaris 10 chip, or is there something else planned? The gap between 460 (Polaris 11) and 470 seems huge.

When does the fucking RX460 release? I need an under-£200 Windows machine for solidworks.

read the thread nigga

August 8th.

XFX and Sapphire Radeon RX 470/460 pictured up close

videocardz.com/62685/xfx-and-sapphire-radeon-rx-470-460-pictured-up-close

Sapphire Radeon RX 470 Silver

Sapphire Radeon RX 460 Dual

XFX Radeon RX 470

Should be around $100, this is a GTX 750ti/950 competitor.

the 750ti is $100 right now... If this thing isn't faster than a 750ti, it'll have to be less than $100 to make it worth a shit. A 1.2x improvement over the R7 260/360 puts it around 750ti performance as far as I can tell, not 950 performance.

What are you talking about? I said I used a 720p encode, not my blu-ray copy.

This blabbering of yours is of no actual consequence whether I agree or not. All I care about is having the best encoder available. AV1 does not even exist yet. Wasn't Daala originally supposed to come out in 2014 or 2015? Now it's 2016, and we're being told Daala is dead, and Jewgle, et. al. (protip: they're not funding it for your freedumb) is taking over the reins to make AV1 which won't have a preview release until mid 2017. I read AOM's aims before - their goals are ridiculously unrealistic; something like 50% better than H265. Note that after 5 years of work on Daala, it still can't even match H265. It's high time people stopped taking these incompetent moneysuckers seriously.

Wrong. H265 saves 35-50% bitrate compared to H264 using mean subjective ratings:

bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2016/01/h-dot-265-slash-hevc-vs-h-dot-264-slash-avc-50-percent-bit-rate-savings-verified

You either have no idea what you are talking about or are desperately trying to excuse the pathetic failure of a company that is AMD.

I'll just leave this here..

Why do you keep posting faggot, AMD stock keeps going up and up, up $4.00 this H1, shill novideo somewhere else retard.

RX 470 Benchmarks, outstanding value for a $150-175 card. Decent FPS in AAA titles at ultra 1080p.

Why does this same faggot keep posting about his jew 1060?

This is how I know you are retarded.

Nvidia shills will defend this.

I believe we are well served in GPUs with all the recent launches from both AMD and nvidia.
Now what we really need is a reasonable cheap and powerful CPU to pair with those new GPUs.
From what I saw there is a huge demand for a CPU that is cheap and won't bottleneck a GPU too heavily.
I hope zen can deliver cause people are tired of the overpriced jewtel cock.

Nvidia owners are wiggers, you can see it dripping from the language of every thread and post they make here. Their edgy shitposting is the online equivalent of walking around with gold chains and grabbing the crotch on pants that are sagging down to their knees.

It takes a lot of new to consider DX12/Vulkan performance when shopping for a new card. New APIs take years to get any significant traction and by then you'll have replaced the card you bought today. People bought cards in 2009 for DX11 and it's only recently become the standard. The ATI 5870 was one of the first DX11 cards and I doubt anyone ever got to play a game on it that fully utilized DX11. AMD has a habit of focusing too far into the future and forgets that things need to work today.

Except that there's no stock of the GTX 1080 or RX 480. The 1080 has been out of stock for several months now (unless you want the awful FE variants) and tends to be available for 5 minutes and requires luck to win the rush to the website.

Jul 27 2016 - 7:57 PM EST
Newegg - GIGABYTE GV-N1080XTREME W-8GD In Stock for $?
Jul 27 2016 - 8:03 PM EST
Newegg - GIGABYTE GV-N1080XTREME W-8GD Out of Stock

What good are all these great cards if they can't be bought?

If you buy a new card every year then get whatever you want, it doesn't matter. If you would like to use the same card for a couple years or more, the RX480 is obviously the better choice. The current Nvidia cards will basically be dogshit when Vulkan and DX12 get put into UE4, Unity, Cryengine, etc.

The RX 480 will be dogshit too by that time. It really makes no sense to buy for an API 5 years down the road, especially if buying a budget card like the 480/1060 that is the minimum necessary today.

On what standard? The 1060 will be dogshit compared to the 480. The 480 won't suddenly be dogshit just because it isn't new.

On that we've just been through this with DX11. And the same arguments were made about the ATI 5870. And everyone had replaced that card long before DX11 mattered. A similar situation occurred with DX10.
How many times must the same mistake be made?

DX11 never really mattered tbh, not even today. DX12 and Vulkan on the other hand offer these huge performance gains, and Vulkan is portable across all platforms. They already matter, and in a year it will be impossible to ignore the performance gap between the 1060 and 480 in these APIs. There's nothing mistaken about it. People are going to be getting 1080p 60fps on their rx 480 for the next three or four years because of the longevity the new APIs are going to give it. That matters, though maybe not to you.

people were saying the same thing with 58xx :V

You're being naive. A budget card today that barely pulls [email protected]/* */ in old titles like rise of the tomb raider, which is what the RX 480 is, isn't going to give you anywhere close to 4 years of [email protected]/* */ Nor will DX12 make a budget card outperform a regular card.

The only reason AMD isn't bankrupt right now is because fantards such as yourself are paying big money for outdated crap

Can't wait to see the reaction when AMD announces in 2 or 3 years that they're going to pull out of the market to focus on their core (which is CPUs) - I mean look at what's happening already, they've been drawing down high-end releases for quite some time now and have focused a lot on CPU-integrated graphics (i.e. APUs, consoles), not to mention they've been competing with Intel about as well as they've been competing with Nvidia

I looked up the review where that chart is from, and the RX 480 'Devil' runs at 76 degrees load

The GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 in that benchmark are reference models, not aftermarket. If you look at the aftermarket reviews on the same site, you will see that the aftermarket models are much cooler than reference (and much cooler than aftermarket RX 480; MSI GTX 1060 runs 11 degrees cooler).

See picture posted here:

My own ASUS Strix GTX 1070 runs at 59 degrees max, and in some games the fan doesn't even have to turn on.

For example: Divinity (2014 RPG) on max settings runs at 38-43 degrees with fans turned off (0 dBa)

Faggots like you would love nvidia to have a monopoly so the can charge $650 for a 1060.

Kill yourself for supporting the anti-competitive, anti-open source company.

You do realize the more a card dissipates heat, the more heat gets put into your case and room right?

(((Nvidia))) stockholder pls go.

Nvidias fantards like you allow them to get away with their gameworks rubbish and "overpriced" edition bullshit.

They will automatically buy the nvidia card because of the nvidia shilling, nevermind they are extremely overpriced.

Sounds more like "buy American!" to me - throw money at failing companies with inferior products as a form of market manipulation.

So you support a GPU market monopoly?

Do you have a fucking brain?

Is this really the best counter-argument to buying a GTX 1060/1070 you can muster?

The RX 480 has a higher TDP than the GTX 1060 and GTX 1070, but the 5-35 watt difference isn't going to make a significant difference to the temperature of a room, so it doesn't matter; what matters is the temp at the GPU, because that has an actual impact.

Stupid AMD-tier argument anyway, since that heat is eventually going to dissipate (and hence heat up the room) anyway

You sound like those retards that only use iPhones because:
"man I bought an Android from Xendong LLC. for $50 and it sucked. Only poor people don't buy based Apple xD"

Also

Monopolies aren't created by buying the better product. Someone needs to go back to school.

I fucking love living in alaska

If you scroll up you'll see the last two GPUs I bought have been AMD

Nvidia's offerings this year are impressive, unlike AMD's.

The GTX 1070 isn't just near double the performance of the GTX 980 (which itself was an impressive release), it also runs much cooler and uses less power.

Despite a change from 28nm to 14nm, AMD's RX 480 still runs as hot as previous generation GPUs, and isn't really much of an improvement (~25%) on a card released almost 5 fucking years ago (the HD 7970). Their 280X was literally just a rebadge of the HD 7970. The 380X was about equivalent to the HD 7970 in terms of performance. And it has continued now with the RX 470 - same core config, same GFLOPS, just with new 14nm size and an extra GB of VRAM.

When I bought my HD 7970 a few years ago (I upgraded to the GTX 1070 because it died recently btw), it cost me AUD$369 and I bought locally. The RX 470 will probably cost AUD$250, this many years on and will give negligible if any improvement in performance. The GTX 1070 on the other hand blows my old HD 7970 out of the water, on performance, temps, noise, video encoding, video streaming, everything

I'm using Windows 8.1, and Furmark is a useful tool to see what the temp can be pushed to - gaming is typically a bit lower

You hate on Powercolour, yet if you scroll up you'll see one of your fellow AMD fanbois posted a Powercolour RX 480 which has signficantly lower temps/noise than reference (though nowhere near the low temps of the GTX 1060 or even GTX 1070)

you're just blatantly shitposting. fuck off.

are you retarded?

Where'd you get it for $370? It's around $720 retail price.

learn to read chink, he's talking about 7970

Not much need to improve there when AMD's cards aren't the ones with a history of catching fire and desoldering themselves.

So he did. Sorry I just woke up.

AMD should file a patent claim, they invented house fires.

At least two confirmed fires started by nvidia

zero from amd

try again faggot

i bet you dont even take advantage of the open source stupid pakistani

leave a benchmark of a game only retards play

What a nigger.

So having one company making GPU's and then they can charge what ever they want is good for consumers?

Choke on Nvidia cock some more faggot.

So offering significantly expensive cards more so than their previous gen is good? If it wasn't for the 480 Nvidia could have charged more for the 1060.

AMD has cards people can actually afford, ie not 800/1200AUD.

Because PowerColor made a good cooler this generation retard.

I only care about performance and sound, and my RX 480 is dead silent.

Nvidia sheep.

Fuck off pajeet

Its about price to performance you dumb nigger, the 480 is 390/X perf for 380 price, and AMD's 1070 competitor hasn't launched yet, once again you know jack fucking shit.

Nvidia released their 970 sucessor at a 980 price, what a fucking fail.

AMD has cards for poor people because they can't make a fast card. They're Honda, not Tesla. It's not necessarily a bad thing - Honda makes a lot of money - but I'm much more impressed with companies that push the boundaries of what's possible. And personally, I want a Tesla.
How long's it been since they legitimately were on top, anyway? I think there was a very brief period with the 5xxx series but that was back when they were ATI. Since the merger it seems they've gone entirely "value" which is a shame.

There is no point buying high end cards when they will be obsolete by a mid range one in 2 or 3 generations.

People who brought the OG Titan for $1500 are now fucked because it is now a "legacy product" meaning it doesn't get driver optimizations any more. And then shit like happens.

Brought a 780ti, now I get dog shit support, never buying nvidia ever again.

Same could be said for buying a Tesla. They're luxury items, and quite fun if you can afford luxury.
The cost of luxury is so low today though that I can't see just not getting the best of the best, though. It's hard to get a total build cost above $2k today without deliberately throwing money away yet that was an entry level build price just 10 years ago, and you couldn't build anything for that in the mid '90s.

Electric cars won't be good for at least 10-20 years, the range is piss poor.

Also the Tesla p85d overheats when you drive it to hard and can't even do a lap of a track without thermal throttling.

So much for a "performance car"

Elon makes some good rockets though.

It's not a track car. It's a fun times in the city car. I have a Mustang GT and my boss has a Tesla p85d and I'd get a ticket for chirping the tires accelerating from a stop at a fraction of the speed he can do silently. If I had the cash, I'd buy one.

I wouldn't call it luxury as much as "frivolous spending". Just because you can doesn't mean you hould spend money on a product with bad cost/efficiency.

All vidya is frivolous spending. And I want my vidya at 1440p at 80fps or more.
It's really a small price to pay for an adult. I spent nearly $2k for a week's vacation in Canada, I can handle a $700 card that'll last a year. This whole "you don't need nice things" routine is rooted in NEET-tier poverty, user. Stop that.

What happened to the days when we had clear winners

hehehe

I don't get it, are you just mad because you've been priced out of the performance category?

I don't get it, are you just mad because you've forgotten to take your meds?

I dunno, user. I think you're jealous.

3.5 is pushing boundaries hard

It certainly showed how much shit people were willing to put up with.

What benefits do you get for membership in the AMD defense force? Is there a discount?

-100% jewvidia cocks sucked

Counter sage faggot

typical amdfag

typical nvidiafag

That's actually cute. His little chubby smile made me happy. Kid needs to learn to be physically active though.

This caught my eye, but I think something slightly unrelated needs to be said.

Have you guys ever noticed a GIGANTIC prescence of Nividia shills on this website? Take a look at the OP:
Now compare it to the Nividia shill threads that I often see on Holla Forums, but crop up here sometimes as well:
I mean, if I'm crazy, so be it, but I'm starting to notice a pattern.

I've DEFINETLY seen it happen on Holla Forums, so I dunno. I don't spend too much time on Holla Forums, so I'm not sure if I've actually seen one of those threads here, but the "Nividia general" on Holla Forums sometimes. Oh my fucking God. It's so obvious.
If it isn't an honest-to-God shill, then it must be a dude involved in a fanclub or something. This shit is so routine, so tripe, yet so effective at getting TONS of posts. If they paid some redditor 5$ an hour for this, I think it would be money well spent.

Is it actually called nvidia general?

At least two of these piece-of-shit threads were called that. I'm not literally on Holla Forums all day, so I probably missed a bunch by different names.

When you have maxed textures and anisotropy you're set, fuck AA with a rake

Nevermind, you want a fucking LIVE example?
8ch.net/v/res/10129621.html
I know I'm retarded for not knowing how to link, give me a break. Still, this one's called "GPU Thread". Notice all the hallmarks I mentioned.

yeah that is pretty blatant

So I'm not fucking crazy? We ACTUALLY have Nividia shills on this website?

Judging by his other posts I think it's just a dedicated fanboy.

Seems to be mostly AMD shills, here. The team red consolewar bullshit seeping in via budget-priced cards of likely first time PC "master race" buyers. Instead of discussing the merits of the hardware, since this is PC and you can mix and match at will, many arguments are about "jewvidia", dredging up issues with old hardware no one cares about anymore, how performance above budget-tier is "frivolous spending", something about monopolies, etc.. It's a mess.

Yes, how dare these shills bring up objective facts

Yeah I too think blatant bait should be ignored

What is with chinks and thermal paste?

msiteacheshowtousethermalpaste.webm

That looks like thermal wax rather than grease

Considering that shilling costs next to nothing it isn't really far fetched for a multi-billion dollar company to hire some pajeets to shill their shit on a mongolian cave painting website. It's seen all the time on Holla Forums

Wouldn't buying something like 480 every 1~2 years turn out cheaper than buying something like 1070 every 3 years?

They've got to clean those rivers out somehow, may as well hide it under heatsinks and export it

You get those cancerous dickgrabbers all the time here. Examples:

it's just shitposters imo. and consumer whore "console wars" gamer culture. It's annoying as hell. I lurk 4/g/ (god knows why), and I haven't seen a SINGLE thread this entire time about the AMDGPU linux driver. Not a single fucking thread. It goes to show that they're all botnetted vidya faggots who run Windows 10 "with the telemetry turned off!" and will never use FOSS.

idk, depends on what type of card holds its value longest. Looking how the 480 and 1060 basically match the 980 in the $200-250 pricerange, it probably is fair to say that a midrange card will hold its value longer. this is because the upper range cards have way higher profit margins for the companies. however, people might be psychologically attracted to the higher-end cards and pay more for it used regardless. does anyone have experience with this stuff on CL?

I never go budget card as they lose a ton of value once they can't do steady 60fps and that happens within a year. High-end cards don't depriciate nearly as much as people believe if you buy at the right time and sell when they're still at least upper mid-range. The 980 ti lost little on ebay over its relatively long lifetime and was a lot more fun than owning a poverty card.
Btw, don't use craigslist to sell hardware, it's full of niggers who will rip you off as there are no buyer ratings. Don't sell to a nobody, either.

I bought a GTX 750 for $110 a year ago and sold it yesterday for $75. Not too bad IMO.

I imagine this is easier if you have a backup card, so you can sell the high-end card a few months in advance of a new flagship release.

Cash is cash. Meet them at a public place, and stick firmly to your price offer. How the hell is a Craigslist buyer supposed to be able to rip off a seller? You even have their damn phone number.

Got this email today

Truly the pendulum swings back in favor of AMD

how much was the 970 on release?
Just $30 for 1/8 of a card missing seems pretty slap on the wrist.

Shit, I haven't seen any discussion of these yet (slightly old news).
techreport.com/news/29666/firepro-s7100-graphics-cards-bring-hardware-gpu-virtualization-to-life
semiaccurate.com/2016/05/25/amds-firepro-s7100x-hardware-virtualized/
I'm building a PCI passthrough rig, but it seems like this could make that kind of thing obsolete. If I'm reading this right, it seems to be a GPU that's designed to fully comply with virtualization standards and thus use its full potential in the VM, correct? This sounds fucking sweet, though maybe inaccessible to mainstream consumers. Could they add a limited form of this functionality to all their cards?

let's be honest, the 3.5GB meme really wasn't a big problem for most users. $30 is pretty fair for something most people only saw in benchmarks.

but people were seeing problems in more demanding games even on 1080p, like farcry

And they really should set a precedence and show that this shit wouldn't be tolerated

nah it's bad and I wouldn't mind seeing them forced to do a full refund for all I care. I'm just trying to be realistic.

really? not just on useless ultra textures? well I guess that's worse than I read.

agreed.

Where are the video outputs?

the card is for VMs on a server.

Are the based of Polaris or Fiji? Have they released that kind of info yet?

HBM2 when? Still estimated at October?

right after you give up and buy a gpu

Mass production starts around Sept. I think, the 490 should be here around December with HBM2.

techfrag.com/2016/03/08/sk-hynixs-4gb-hbm2-hit-mass-production-in-q3-8gb-hbm2-in-q4/

Running on a 290 and it works fine for what I'm doing still, so I'm not really in a rush. I do want HBM2 though, so long as it's not incredibly disappointing on launch.

Hopefully it will. Seems like all news on it is months old at this point.

What the fuck? Am I on drugs, or are they literally selling a weaker card with NO ADVANTAGES for the same price as the more powerful RX 480? How does this make sense? Who is going to buy it?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202230

I just came here because I checked the deals on newegg and saw the 470. Same exact thoughts.

I was pretty excited for the 470, at $209 dollars (out of stock anyways) I'm less excited. Certainly won't rush to find one

Also you'll notice the 480s are also out of stock at decent prices and only a few are in stock at inflated prices.

So at this moment, the pricing for these new cards is well beyond what it was supposed to be

Price might go down after the hype.

Only on average 10-2 less FPS compared to the 480, which makes the 470 the much better buy for 1080p.

The hype has been great, but when it comes down to it, my old GTX750ti still does it at my resolution in all but a few games. I won't pay $200 or more to experiment. Prices will come down but I'm wondering when that will be?

people are saying that Etherium miners are snapping them up. this is insane. I thought BTC and all that shit was done for. why are autists still doing this?

RX 470 price is here - $190 USD minimum; $210 for what's actually in stock, and $240 for 8GB version

So $10 cheaper than RX 480 at best, except the RX 480 is completely out of stock too (and the only preorder is a $290 card from B&H!). So much for AMD supposedly launching with lots of stock, it was all bullshit.

Meanwhile aftermarket GTX 1060, which is superior to the RX 470 and RX 480 in every way, is on Amazon for $250, or $290 for immediate delivery.

So glad I bought my ASUS Strix GTX 1070 for $590 AUD and didn't wait for AMD's overpriced space heaters.

Oh and I discovered another reason recently why Nvidia > AMD:

Moonlight. Low latency H264 and even H265 streaming, using the onboard encoding capabilities of Nvidia's GPUs. Incompatible with AMD GPUs, for which there are no viable options for low-bandwidth game streaming. I've tried Teamviewer, Anydesk, Microsoft RDP - none of these are adequate, but Moonlight actually does a decent job when constrained to my upload speed of 1-2 mbit/s

The 1060 gets absolutely destroyed in Vulkan/DX12, and as that's the future, it's a terrible card.

Nice synthetic, faggot.
pcgamesn.com/amd/rx-480-vs-gtx-1060-vulkan

Vulkan performance can be optimized through future driver releases, but it would be stupid to not include OpenGL mode in your benchmarks - unless you think OpenGL is going away anytime soon?

Look at the attached benchmarks from Guru3d; the GTX 1060 in OpenGL mode outperforms the RX 470 in Vulkan mode

GTX 1070 smashes RX 470/480 in Vulkan too - AMD has no answer to the GTX 1070

But I don't really care that much about new APIs and I don't think most other people give a shit either. I had a HD7970, so I used AMD's Mantle - I would have certainly traded that for lower temps and fan noise.

I'll reiterate what I've said before: Temperatures and fan noise are of much greater importance than say, going from 87fps to 106fps in Doom

If you buy a GTX 1070, you don't have to worry about temps/noise nor performance. Not to mention the other features it boasts, such as Moonlight streaming and 400fps+ H265 encoding with 32-frame lookahead.

Until they fuck up a driver update that kills the fans again.

That's funny to me because my first thought is that my GTX 1070 fans don't even need to turn on for most games

As I mentioned earlier, I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin at 38-43 degrees, fans off

Listen to these two clips and try to tell yourself fan noise doesn't matter

AMD GPUs have such high fan noise because they can't otherwise keep their temperature at a safe level. They also auto-throttle their performance to achieve this, but the end result of 76 to 82 degrees load during gaming is still dangerously high. Expect your GPU to live about 3 years, like my HD7970 did.

The GTX 1070 (and I assume the GTX 1060) is whisper quiet, even with 3 fans running, even without a custom fan curve set.

Imagine having that AMD GPU sitting 0.5-1.5m away from you while you're trying to immerse yourself in a game

A victim of AMD's heatware shares his story

fuck off.

I have a GTX 1070 myself, so I can confirm the noise is pretty much non-existent

I just took the first two videos I saw when searching youtube for fan noise of each GPU - if you think it's bullshit, look at other videos on youtube of the GTX 1070

Also 'airflow' doesn't affect the noise of the GPU

AMD cucks don't even try to excuse it, they simply willfully deny reality

Goddamn pedophiles

Kill yourself you missed abortion, complete what your parents failed to do.

if the tendency keep on going to way it goes, the rx 460 will cost 230$ instead of 130 - 150$

life is pain considering i'm not having any higher salary with my canadian dollar.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

in germany the rx 480 and nvidias 1060 have similar prices, which one is the better card?

archive.is/pGWoq
archive.is/4ef1Q

I will get a amd card anyway because I have a freesync screen, but I was just wondering which one is better if they have the same price.

Depends on which biased review you prefer :^)

absolutely rabid hahahaha

brutal

At last AMD is at the top!

..oh fuck.. wait..

480 is 420AUD
Fury is 500AUD
1070 is 580AUD
I don't want nvidia tho ;-;

Look, faggot. There's no way in hell I'm gonna spend 860+ dollars on a graphics card (barebones price of 1070 where I live). And given NVIDIA's jewry with the 970 (VRAM's at 3.5, enjoy 10 FPS), their inability to provide a fix, and new drivers making older cards run worse (read the thread, faggot) I have more than enough reasons to avoid them. The icing on the cake is their sketchy Lunix support, as opposed to AMD's offerings.

Lastly, you'd have to be a very good goy to pay twice as much (480 is like $440 here) for a ~30% performance increase.
I bet Vega is going to be cheaper than the 1070 here too. The 1060 is like $580 here, so still not worth it.

But by all means, keep shilling. I'm sure you'll get a juicy bonus if you manage to meet your quota.

You can get a 480 on newegg for cheaper than that even after shipping.
But i think they only have reference models in stock.

I live in Australia and I got my Asus Strix GTX 1070 from Amazon US for $590 AUD delivered. Amazon ship to bumfuck countries like India and Kazakhstan, so there's no excuse.

We're talking about the GTX 10xx series.

I always wait for reviews before buying, and the reviews show that the GTX 1070 absolutely rapes the AMD RX 480 in every department.

What exactly are you trying to say? That they should released a software update for it, i.e. download more RAM?

Proof? Everything I claim about temps, noise and performance are backed up by independent reviews - now present yours.

Otherwise I defer to a maxim of the Hitch: That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence

Also, you'll find that AMD has its own share of issues. The PCIE power thing was pretty serious because it can actually ruin the hardware of your computer, but there's plenty of software problems - just look at this list of problems that AMD knows about but simply cannot resolve.

Gaming on Linux is a joke

You can dual boot, but it's not possible to do away with Windows if you want to play any game you want

GTX 1070 is 60% faster for about the same increase in cost

But performance isn't the only factor that should considered, as I have labored to point out in this thread from the outset - temperature and fan noise are also just as important considerations.

After having had a HD7970 for 3 years, I'm glad to have 59 degrees in furmark with barely audible fan noise, even if it means paying a bit extra. Hell, even if were a lot extra, you simply can't put a price on the immersion and peace of mind you get with a quiet cool Nvidia card that AMD cannot deliver.

The GTX 1060 perhaps would have been a better buy had I waited, but I'm happy with my choice. And thank fuck I haven't fallen for AMD's garbage this time.

lel

480 is 329$CAN
fury is 630$CAN
1080 is 800$CAN

It's okay australia, I'm with you.

1080 is 1200AUD
Keep in mind 1AUD = 1 CAD

:D

You do realise they are not competitor cards right?

Shill harder faggot, tripfags should be banned.

My 480 powercolor is dead quiet, you are a faggot and a jewvidia shill.

This retarded faggot has shown up again.

Finished wiping the semen off you mouth after attending the Nvidias stockholders meeting?

RX 480 PCI-E power draw issue fixed:

Never mind the fact Gsync is exponentially more expensive.

Kill yourself faggot, I brought a 780ti and now my card gets WORSE performance than it did when I brought it.

Never buying from the Nvidia jew again.

Also AMD's big die high end cards are not out yet, so comparing the 1070/80/titan X (which has no HBM2 BTW what a fucking fail) proving you are a colossal retard.

Filtered, namefag faggot.

This thread is a great example of the difference between technical-minded AMD users, and reddit millenials who spend their entire allowance on a video card every year for the placebo effect it adds to their 60Hz TN panels.

I find AMD users are generally interested in tech. Nvidia users usually go to social forums to signal that they are special for buying a "premium" product and they have post purchase regret.

Nvidia users are usually in forums trying to brag and justify their purchases. Subconsciously they know they overpaid for something and they know the reasons they were told it was worth it are not true. So they bash the competition. It's just like what Hillary supporters do. They have hardly anything good to say about Hillary, so they just shit on Trump, in an attempt to make Trump look worse than their dog Hillary.

Nvidia users usually have this attitude like they're special and above everyone else because they over paid for something that does the same thing just with minor differences.
>The image quality just has to be better on Nvidia, it cost more Nvidia image quality has a lot of problems but the corrupt tech media won't talk about it

That's an interesting comparison, and there's more to it than that. While all those cuckqueen supporters are going apeshit about how Trump said this or that and how bad it is, they're keeping the attention on him. Nobody cares how bad it is, but they sure care about him more than their own candidate. Trump knows how to manipulate people, it's how he became rich, so he baits the media into doing this deliberately because it keeps him in full control of the mindshare.

And you see that mirrored all over this board. There's two AMD threads with hundreds of posts. The only time Intel shows up is the occasional shitposting thread because nobody cares about it. The only nvidia threads on tech falter after a dozen posts and are filled with Losers, like the one in this thread, comparing their achievements to those of others — they can't help but talk about AMD.

videocardbenchmark.net/

Through this thread I have learned AMDfags, like Holla Forums in general, have a lot in common with your average bluepilled leftist. Point out something truthful that doesn't fit their internal narrative, and their brain just melts, ceases to properly function.

Holy shit, the anal ravaging. AMD BTFO

They got replaced with objectively superior cards. Gas yourself.

Time to kill yourself.
kek

No. Actually your whole computer should never need more than 64MB of RAM total.
No, actually, if you need more than 8MB of RAM fix your bloat.

Cry more, AMDfag.

The butthurt of the AMDfag is never-ending.

Kill yourself.

That is fucking shit, terrible, pathetic, sad! Even Nvidia's low end 750 had better improvements over the higher tier 560. AMD is garbage.

oy vey

kek

Let me guess, people that buy high end cars instead of a used junkyard-saved clunker because they can afford the high end luxury car are just "wiggers" too? How does it feel to have an ass that hurts this much?

Kill yourself for being this retarded.

Your tears hitting the keyboard are audible from here.

Tell your precious AMD to stop sucking dicks and start making hardware that's actually better than their competitors.
REMINDER FOR THE NIGGERS IN THIS BOARD THAT BUYING A SUPERIOR PRODUCT DOES NOT EQUAL CREATING MONOPOLIES JUST BECAUSE THE SUPERIOR PRODUCT IS SOMETHING YOU DON'T LIKE

It's called get a job faggot.
wew

How do those sour grapes taste?

Just end your life already, holy shit.

Butthurt.

Even among all the AMD shilling, this is one of the dumbest opinions I've seen in this thread. Go back to your UE3 console ports.

Sounding like a broken record.
Remember Mantle? Remember how "many" games used OpenGL over DirectX?

Are you retarded or merely pretending?

Maximum damage control. What NVIDIA tier is the ebin 480 supposed to compete with then, the 1040? kek

wew

take your meds

wew

ahaha life is pain

Most recent Guru3d review shows the GTX 760 as neck and neck with the 270X in 3dmark, not 18.5% behind

There is variation in individual games; for instance in the same review the GTX 760 does significantly better than the 270X in GTA V (46fps vs 42fps)

Someone did a comparison of Nvidia drivers on the 780 Ti (picture attached). Source: bytemedev.com/the-gtx-780-ti-sli-end-of-life-driver-performance-analysis/

I posit that the reason why old AMD cards have continued to see performance increases beyond that of Nvidia's Kepler GPUs, is that AMD are still using the same GPUs while Nvidia have moved on to new architectures. For instance, the 280X and I think 380 it was, are quite literally just rebadged HD7970s.

It's worth noting that the GTX 7xx series were the 'tock' in Nvidia's release schedule. Given that Pascal is a brand new architecture, and Nvidia's first move to 16nm, I expect that it will continue to be optimized for quite a while, and that there is a lot of headroom in that optimization. I typically buy a new GPU once every three years, so it doesn't really matter to me that much. Even if they were to cripple my GTX1070 by 20%, it would still destroy the RX 480. With AMD, you can't even be sure a card will survive for 3 years, let alone keep up with new games - I mean it can't even get 60fps average in Witcher 3 @ 1080p with hairworks off, and that's a 1-year old game!

The RX 480 is AMD's best offering. I agree it's no competition for Nvidia's GPUs, but it is the best they've got to compare the GTX 1070 to.

[citation needed]

HBM is a meme. It's not necessary for normal gaming.

Who knows how much bandwidth games actually use (especially when you factor in stuff like Nvidia's new colour compression technology), but consider this:

The GTX Titan X has a memory bandwidth of 480 gigabytes per second. The Xbox One has a memory bandwidth of just 68.3 GB/s and it runs the latest games at 1080p.

The GTX Titan X does about ~60fps @ 4K. Having enough bandwidth for 8K resolution or even 4K @ 120fps on ANY graphics card today is stupid and useless, because no GPU can perform that well.

We can roughly calculate at what point the GTX Titan X would run out of memory bandwidth:

If the Xbox One requires 68.3 GB/s for 1080p @ 30fps, then 273.2 GB/s is needed for 4K @ 30fps. 546.4 GB/s for 4K @ 60 fps. Nvidia uses colour compression to save ~25% on bandwidth, so 1.25 x 480 = 600 GB/s.

Based on the above rough calculations, the GTX Titan X will do 4K @ 66fps in the Witcher 3 before it requires additional memory bandwidth. However don't forget either that 68.4 GB/s is the max the Xbox One can do - it probably requires a fair bit less in reality, so the GTX Titan X is probably fine doing up to say 4K @ ~90 fps in the Witcher 3, which it will not be able to do anyway - not even with a impressive overclock.

What's the yearly TCO on that placebo rice rocket? AMD hardware costs me $10/year and gets the job done.

Why don't you post the source of the graphs?
protip: it's neogaf forum post comapring different environment setups adn general retardation

kys fagboi, if you are from Holla Forums and support nvidia you are retarded

Isn't it fuuny that this faggot shows up every thread and autistic replies to everyone, you are a faggot, no one on Holla Forums likes you, you are bluepilled you faggot.

Oh, and one thing, if everyone buys one companies product, and the other one collapses, the aformentioned company has ==A MONOPOLY== but your retarded brain cant comprehend that, this thread was for AMD news, hence the title.

Everyone on Holla Forums knows that Nvidia is the objectively worse company.

You have no fucking idea what you are talking about, fuck off to /g/ you fucking retard.

Are you a retard, the 1070's die is 120mm bigger than the 480's they are not competitor cards.

HOLY SHIT THIS FAGGOT IS THIS BUTTMAD

JUST FUCKING KILL YOURSELF WOW

Did you read the title you dumb nigger?

The fact that you needed TWO ENTIRE FUCKING POSTS for your misinformed, incoherent whining is just laughable, you have no fucking clue what you are on about, so much misinformation and brainwashing, it really is a fucking laugh, all my time that I have been on the internet I have never seen a more pathetic person than you.

Honestly end your life and fuck off back to reddit, or /g/ you fucking cancerous faggot.

LOL

What do you expect from australia? Cards are always stupidly expensive. Everything electronic is.

Also for that price you can just buy an 8GB 480

So what's the best option for Australians?

Wait until September for HBM2 and hope for a miracle?

That's what I'm doing.

well it's way worse than I though.

My point is that the RX 470 8GB is the same price as the GTX 1060

Get a job and buy a GTX 1070 off Amazon for $600 or less

HBM is memetic garbage as established here

So many greedy dopes who think they're going to get a decent $200-$300 card like it's 2011

Reality check: In 2011 the exchange rate was 1.10 USD per 1 AUD. Now it's 0.76 USD.

The GTX 1060 sells for $250 USD - that's $225 AUD if it was 5 years ago. That *is* the budget value card.

The RX 460 which is a piece of shit outperformed by a GTX 950 is going to cost $200-$230 AUD here.

The only cards left to come now are the high end ones, i.e. the RX 490, and inevitably their Fury/Nano/Pro Duo replacements. If you look at the pricing so far, AMD has replicated its 3xx series *exactly*, i.e. 370X and RX 470 = $179 RRP, 380X and RX 480 = $229 RRP.. the 390 had an RRP of $329 and the Fury was $549, so what do you think is going to happen?

I'm going to predict right now that the lowest priced HBM card AMD produce this generation will cost $900 AUD locally (upon release).

Reasoning:

- AMD has followed last generation's RRP scheme so far, and of course there's also local markup
- Directly competes with the GTX 1080 which will be priced $50 higher (AMD's dual GPU will compete against the Titan X
- AMD's 'answer' to the GTX 1070 will be the RX 490
- HBM won't be added to the RX 490 because the GTX 1070 does not have GDDR5X, and because it is completely unnecessary (it would crap out even if it does utilize such a high amount of bandwidth)
- Local markup is about 20% typically

tl;dr AMD cucks will shit their pants and wish they bought a GTX 1070 while it was still in stock

Lowest price for an in stock RX 480 8GB in Australia is $419

The 460 is out and it's decent. It's basically a GTX950 that does better in DX12/Vulkan, for $10 to $30 dollars less. Hopefully now some R7 360s will be going on sale.

Yes, it is decent for the price. All you have to do is turn down a few settings and it's playable. I was able to survive just fine with a GTX 750 (not Ti), and the RX 460 is twice as fast as the 750Ti in many games. It's perfectly decent.

Also, is this thread on autosage? Someone should make a new GPU thread.

Literally the argument of a console peasant.

All you have to do is turn do a few settings and it's playable on the CPU's integrated GPU (unless you bought an AMD CPU, in which case I pity you), and guess what, you don't have to pay any extra money for that

Hell, even my 3-year-old HD4600 graphics could run Battlefield 4 at a playable frame rate

The GTX 950 delivers slightly better performance at the same price as the RX 460 - and that's an old generation card; Nvidia are still yet to release what I assume will be named the GTX 1050

youtube.com/watch?v=dgCTyrQ05og

The 460 could barely keep 60fps in the "EatSports" shitty games it is aimed for. It has similar performance to a 750ti and gets absolutely destroyed by a 950.
I don't even know why the fuck AMD launched this piece of shit outside the mobile shit market.

480 8gb is $379 at pccg retard, that is the cheapest in aus

The xfx 470 is 299 there as well, stop using overpricing to justify your bullshit.

Remember how much 1070's were price gouged on release? And still are?

HBM reduces power consumption and allows for a smaller PCB, a la Fury X.

Also HBM will be valuable in 4k/5k future titles.

Also stop shitting up the thread, go and make a Nvidia thread if you are so buttblasted faggot.

consumer whore war bullshit. there are other benefits to PC gaming aside from spending as much as humanly possible on a GPU.

But get this: an RX 460 or GTX 950 runs way more things on high than integrated graphics do.

Hello friends there is a new thread