Skype for Linux updated

It's just a repackaged version of the web application without video calls or the ability to select a microphone, because real standalone applications are too difficult to write these days.
archive.is/WsVIX

Other urls found in this thread:

skype.com
github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype
github.com/GyozaGuy/Skype-Electron
github.com/haskellcamargo/skype-unofficial-client
meet.jit.si/
github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgin/tree/master/skypeweb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sweet

I'll be able to keep not using skype just like always

this

Soon applications will be written like this:
#!/bin/sh# don't use https for the good goy pointschrome-botnet skype.com

This
github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype
Already
github.com/GyozaGuy/Skype-Electron
Fucking existed
github.com/haskellcamargo/skype-unofficial-client

Good job doing absolutely nothing, microshit.

Also, what's with this fucking meme that everything is got to be web? The old client was fine. I just hope I can keep using it and they don't pull the same shit they did with skype 4.2, making it unable to connect anymore. Skype 4.2 is the latest good skype version by the way, before they removed ALSA support, or depending on your tastes, 2.x still featured the old non-shit emoticons.

Hipsters and Pajeets don't know how to code, which is why you get tons of bloated applications and websites, compared to the old days.

Let's be honest here fam, it was lagging behind significantly, you couldn't send and receive images or emotes and the UI was crap.

Fuckers are going to be jerking themselves off that mirosoft totally loves linux and that we need skype to move forward. Skype needs to die. It hasn't gotten better. It's a microsoft application and it's one of the worst things I've used on Windown. Why use a shitty nonfree web application botnet when you can use a free web application botnet that doesn't require a download and works just fine. I'm referring to meet.jit.si/ of course. Skype please fucking die already. I hope ring takes off.

I was already wondering why Skype on Linux was not offering video calls, that explains it.

This is Microsoft sabotaging Linux: make a program on a particular OS inferior and people will blame the OS. We have seen the exact same shit happen with the web when Microsoft and Mozilla were competing over which browser could tolerate the shittiest HTML. If your mom found a website that worked in Internet Explorer but not Netscape Navigator she would blame the browser, the idea that the site itself has always been broken does not occur to her (after all, how can it be broken if it works in IE?). And because of this endless race to the bottom the web is broken beyond repair.

Good luck trying to convince other people to use anything but Skype. Isn't it weird that people will put tape on their camera and somehow think that's going to protect them when the camera is the least damning thing about your privacy, but they will not stop using their botnet programs which are the source of all privacy issues.

Why would you want to communicate with retarded people?

I've found it hard to get people to use mumble, although some of my friends do. Jitsi is so easy because its in browser that people usually just do it especially after they realize that I won't get on Skype no matter how much they want me to. Nobody really cares though they'll laugh at my reasons not to use Skype or play pokemon go. Its like people really believe they'll be missing out socially if they uninstall this stuff. That's why I think people give up their privacy so easily. I stopped using Facebook entirely and I'm more social if anything.

In fairness, a web application means that the application itself is OS agnostic (save for the server it runs upon). I'm not a fan of web applications personally, but with something like ASM.js, it means the OS is less important.

On a similar note, I was pretty annoyed that the new RPG Maker saw fit to brag about its cross compatibility, even running on Android; but it doesn't run on Linux. They mitigated that with a web-browser version.

I have friends who are egging me on to using a VOIP client. I told one of them that I'd pretty much only consider Mumble, since it's FOSS and I can own the server. He responded that it was, "the buggiest of them all." I haven't used it personally, but this guy is computer engineer, and while he doesn't know a whole lot about software programming, he's been around the block with VOIP clients, and that was his take.

I'm not sure why, as I haven't looked into it, but Skype on Gentoo does video calling just fine. I've used it for remote interviews a few times.

It's not the most featured VOIP client and it's a bit strange in a few ways. Still, I run my own server and I can't think of any bugs or annoyingness except setup. Not calling your friend a liar, but in my experience it's lightweight and just works.

gee, who would have thought?

Yeah, nothing he said changed my mind, but I was just throwing it out there, because while he may write ASM for street lights, he's a complete normie when it comes to software and happily uses Skype. I thought it was worth mentioning since you lamented it was difficult to get people used to it.

I'm gonna give Mumble a try when my friends start up a campaign. They've been so desperate to get me on VOIP, they'll switch to Mumble.

Its shit on Windows.

but it has more bloat features on windows...

I haven't used skype on windows in a year but I remember not being able to close it, its interface being shit, and lag.

That's literally the only reason skype was ever used

He's not wrong, Mumble is a pile of hot spaghetti garbage and it's a miracle it works at all with code as bad as that. They need to get their shit together and release that Qt5 version already.

Mumble appears to work well.

The web is the new shittier version of Java: write once and run anywhere. Instead of rewriting the entire software it would be better to have a portable core and then just write the GUI as a wrapper on top of it. Transmission does that, the core is written in C and then they just wrap a GTK or Cocoa GUI on top of it, depending on the operating system.

They are my parents.

A nice thing about Jitsi Meet is that it runs in your browser, so you just need to convince people to click a link, not to install a program.

But so does everything else these days. The difference with Jitsi is it's a clusterfuck spread over half a dozen of the worst standards ever concieved that are only open in the freetard sense.
Just use a Matrix client, XMPP needs to die already.

I think 7zip does that too. That's actually a great idea and I never really thought of that method in contrast to web applications.

I'm actually surprised it's not being done more often. I have recently written a (small) program that works like that: a core library written in C with a few CLI programs as light wrappers (one program for every task). The CLI wrappers are really just there to process arguments into something useful for the library and connect things. Each one is under 50 significant lines of code total.

Then I wrote a GUI in Cocoa, which is a standalone project that interfaces with the library. The library is compiled independently just like any other library one might use. The GUI only uses my library and whatever comes with Cocoa, and it's also just an interface. It all comes down to only 257 SLOC total of Objective-C code (counting header files as well). I could have probably written even less code if I wasn't going for some fancy drag & drop functionality (the reason I chose Cocoa in the first place).

Of course that's just a small toy example I wrote to see if this separation of core and interface is even a viable strategy, but I consider the experiment a success. Writing a GUI using Qt or GTK should be equally trivial and the programmer would not be required to follow the Cocoa interface axioms (i.e. if you think that drag & drop is gay you could make buttons and dialogs instead).

I think Skype 3 was the last version that had everything in separate windows, instead of one gigantic modal blob window that always wants to be fullscreen and has a rim of irremovable scum around the edges that bloats the window. Every program now seems to be designed to thwart window management and multitasking.

We have to be able to just call Skype users without the need to depend on Skype as client software.

The only way Skype will ever die is if somebody comes up with a reverse-engineered shim for some standard API like XMPP, SIP, or H.323 to fully access Skype's network using other software. This is what ultimately killed AOL's IM monopoly, too, in spite of AOL's "DOS isn't done 'til Lotus won't run"-style updates.

That reminds me of being a Mac gamer in the '90s, reading accounts from one developer after another about how after their first Mac port being rejiggered that way, the next game they wrote also had a strict upper/lower-level separation (with 95% of code crossplatform) even on the original DOS version, and what a huge improvement it was…

…And then screaming at retarded devs who refused to port, about how retarded they were.

That is very true, and it's a common issue I have with web browsers and other applications that try to do window management while they should let the window manager itself handle that.
However, that trend has existed for years and is not something as new and catastrophic as this web bullshit lately.

github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgin/tree/master/skypeweb

That's just a skypeweb wrapper and it sucks balls. Not sure if it's skypeweb or libpurple's fault though.

why?

this

Microsoft couldn't have made a better advertisement for Vector if they were trying

Daemon-client architecture isn't new nor unused.

WHAT IS THIS EXTRAVAGANCE? YOU FUCKERS ARE GOING TO JUST PIN A WEB SHORTCUT TO YOU "APPS" LIST AND YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT!

For what reason.

Nah, I didn't want to go as far as having a deamon running.

It is best video call program.

Why live

Heh.

Tox?

My faggot friends refuse to use anything else because "nothing else works" and "you're the only one who has problems."
At least it's only used for group calls, we've mostly relegated text chat to IRC.

Tox only has 2-participant video right now, if you need video chat between several people then Jitsi's the only real option

Why are they your friends? Could you replace them with better friends?

I'll be your friend.

Why do you need this? I grew out of webcams at around 15.

No thank you. Why isn't Skype dead yet? Seriously.

tfw I'm the only one that favors anonymous posting over everything else

Is Tox any good? I just want to have a program I can give my parents, tell them "click this to make a call" and be done with it.

Hi Nick. Just reminding you that absolutely NOTHING else fucking works and Mumble isn't possible because of your faggot cousin's insufferable mic. Kill yourself you double nigger.

Daily reminder that there are zero good alternatives to Skype and Tox is a crippled piece of garbage.