Servo Browser

What does Holla Forums think of Servo?

Preview release 0.0.1 just came out on July 1st and seems promising.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emscripten
github.com/browserhtml/browserhtml
wiki.mozilla.org/Oxidation
bugzilla.mozilla.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Firefox Graveyard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome
wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Features/Theme_Refinement_and_Evolution_(Australis)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is going to be silky smooth sailing with no infection risk at all and will only be used by moral people to run legitimate, open source programs on your machine. I am extremely hyped for this new, exciting development in my web experience.

How does it render? Does it use any widget toolkits itself?

Does it have a hard dependency to systemd?

How many SLOC? How much space does it take to compile?

Is it easy to configure and customize? I want to be able to turn off tracking features. How are the plugins?

Will it have 10^12 forks/wrappers?

mods

I think that's some kind of thing that translates code from a language to another, so technically you'll still be running javascript.

It's still run by javascript engines. It's not completely native, but it's more similar to native code than to traditional javascript.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emscripten

Well at least we know where their priorities lie.

So this is Mozilla's attempt to copy-recreate Google's blink engine like they did with the basic Chrome UI style?

Good luck towards Mozilla on their futile quest to make all the simpletons from Chrome change ship to fill the void created by all that customization loving users who already have left or will leave once the browser will become a re-factored simpleton dream-browser :)

No this is an original browser, not a fork of KHTML.

you can read or are you unable? I wrote copy-recreate which means that they will take the idea of a simplistic and fast only engine like they did with their UI design from Google Chrome.

Almost all what Mozilla does today is taking ideas from Chrome and changing them a bit and selling them as unique just to gain Chrome users.

stop shitposting or go back to halfchan

Repeat that without the engrish and I might humor you with an actual reply.

If you are still unable to understand what i mean... you can call this also "being influenced by"

As long as Mozilla is only implementing and refactoring their creations for gaining Chrome users and on this quest dumping their own complexity and features loving user base i see no reason why i should give a little bit of respect towards Mozilla.

This browser has no intention of replacing firefox.

But Servo will replace parts of Gecko. And Servo will not support customizations in the UI like the XUL system did.

Is Blink more simplistic than Gecko in some way?

Firefox since Australis was refactored to be of major appeal for the simpleton users.

Firefox with Servo parts and without XUL will do that even more.

Blink and the Chromium UX is missing complex API like Gecko and the Firefox UX are having them.

Just take a look what you can do in Chrome and take a look what you have been able to do so far in Firefox old without add-ons or in Firefox with Australis which will require some add-ons to do some customization tricks which have been available out of the box in Firefox old.

vaporware/10

It's getting releases now. How is it vaporware?

Yes, it will.
github.com/browserhtml/browserhtml

Also, Firefox itself will not likely deprecate XUL customization. Browser.html is the experimental front-end to servo, and it won't prevent things like implementing userchrome or customization to a UI.

Let's play "Spot the D&C shills in this very thread".

Found him

I don't think you know what a browser engine is, or what you're talking about. You also don't seem to understand english very well.

Gecko is a Browser Engine, which is not tied to XUL.
Servo is a Browser Engine, which is not tied to Browser.html

XUL and Browser.html are UI implementations.

What Mozilla is planning to do with the UI is separate from what they're doing with the Browser Engine.

Servo has nothing to do with Blink (Which is just a fork of WebKit), because it is has been written from nothing in Rust. Naturally, they can't take any code from WebKit because it's written in C++.

On the other hand, your complaints about Mozilla trying to make Firefox look like a Chrome clone are valid. They did remove their old UI in favor of Australis (though their old ui _was_ dated), and they are throwing out NPAPI extensions in favor of Chrome Extensions.

However, I don't remember them saying at any point that they're going to actually switch to Browser.html for Firefox (And let's face it, all major browsers practically use the same UI at this point. The 90's UI was a sore thumb that was scaring people away), and NPAPI has been deprecated for a while -- Mozilla decided to go with what Google is doing because they have the largest market share, not because they think it's necessarily better. There will still be plugins that modify the UI, they will just be able to ALSO run Google Chrome applications.

XUL itself is a remnant from the bygone "XML is the solution to everything" era.
Standards and other factors for HTML have progressed to the point where anyone can easily create their own runtime for native apps, with ease.

It's experimental, so we can't say to a certainty what Mozilla will decide to do with a research project, but they have a good track record and the fact that other companies are pooling resources with them bodes well for at least replacing Gecko with it in the "near-future."

As for what happens after that, whether they take browserhtml and write all of the needed components to deprecate Firefox itself is anyone's guess. But what we can say that Firefox will be safer and faster when it comes to rendering when Servo reaches the point that they can replace Gecko entirely, because it'll be embedded.

can't be worse than Flash though

it's a scenegraph that takes advantage of gpus. read up on it, it's gonna be fucking sweet.

don't forget that they're finally going to release Electrolysis this year and give us multi-process.

kill yourself OP and blow up mozilla's headquarters too

t. Microsoft shill

reply to me when firefucks actually switches to it

They've already released an embedded component of servo into firefox. Not servo itself, but a component.
By definition it's not vaporware thanks to the nightlies.

It's a toy project. Mozilla's management has probably all been kicked out for not being SJW enough and the programmers are just doing their own thing now. Flights of fancy with what remains of the company; resume-building for getting hired at samsung.

/thread

They're already using a part of servo in firefox, dumbfuck.
Why do you retards shitpost so hard?

What a waste of quads.

What part?

wiki.mozilla.org/Oxidation

Mozilla is the best of the worst now imo but they're still pretty bad, who is going to take them seriously when they do things like that?

As of recent years I almost feel embarrassed to be a Firefox user because of it.

Why do people find doge funny? To top it, it's just certain demographics of borderline normies, like those you would find on 9gag, tumblr or Reddit. There has never been any meme as unfunny and forced as this, it can't be used for any funny puns because the macro of the meme is plain bad.

They are even putting doge out of context. It's like the Trollface of 2010.

I've got bad news for you: type "about:mozilla" in your address bar. Then type "about:robots" in.

This has been going on for years.

But at least those aren't in your face, that dog is legitimately right on the download page, you see it before you even install the browser, that's not a good precedent for Servo or Rust itself given the image.

I guess what I mean is they've done stuff like that before but it's never been as obnoxious or frequent, that kind of stuff should remain the same or become less prevalent, not increase. It feels like they don't take the project seriously, if the creators don't how is anyone else supposed to?

Their developer documentation site contains artwork from TheOatmeal too. I get what you're saying but this is already totally a lost cause. Mozilla is 9 years behind on technology and counting, they're at the point where desperation tactics like shameless pandering to reddit normies are necessary to keep the usage numbers afloat.

you're the redditfag, cunt

I hope you're not being serious but you probably are.

"normies" is pretty reddit.
No.

Just because you say so doesn't make it so.

It's exactly the sort of vocabulary "outlawing" the Holla Forumssjws are known for.

Back to reddit

Actually it's WizardChan you uncultured pleb.

see shumway

Better than the stuff they did with faggot rainbow flag.

This isn't as bad, m8.

Learn what the definition of vaporware is. The software was announced, the software was made, and the software was cancelled.
bugzilla.mozilla.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=Firefox Graveyard
Vaporware is never made, nor cancelled.
Learn the words you use.

Cancer?

I have a theory about this: memes have a certain upper threshold of fame which, when crossed, puts the meme into critical mass. This causes rapid memetic decomposition through adulteration by inferior meme propagators and crossbreeding with other decayed memes. This is how memes become 'cancer'.

Australis was a thing even before chrome.

Another technology thread full to the brim with Holla Forums Holla Forums's derailing shit.

Why talk out of your ass, faggot? You realize people can use search engines to verify your false claims, right?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Firefox

Google Chrome
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome

Next time do some fucking research before spouting bullshit, you fucking retard.

didn't know there were any windows users left here lel, how about you do some actual research before spewing bullshit you stupid fucking kike. Go back to /g/, it is where you belong.

I believe the phrase you were looking for is "I am a gigantic lazy hypocrite and fucktard", but here you go:
wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Features/Theme_Refinement_and_Evolution_(Australis)

Did that mother fucker delete his comment on github about committing to having Windows installers up by the 20th?

This is a meritocracy. How much code have you written today, pol/v immigrant?

0.0.1 says it all to me. Hasn't had enough time or attention to get it's shit pwned over and over until it becomes somewhat secure. Maybe in a year this will have changed.

Also without https everywhere, adblocking, noscripting etc, it just looks like a toy to me. I'd avoid browsing a chan let alone paypal/online banking.

It shouldn't use OpenSSL at all. What is LibreSSL?

Supposedly a drop-in replacement for OpenSSL. If using the latter by default is an issue it's not their fault the OBSD developers dropped the fucking ball.

OpenSSL is still miles ahead of the absolute disaster that is Mozilla PKIX. I've got a bunch of things on my LAN using vanilla gnutls self-signed certs and Firefox literally cannot connect to them. At all. Not a self-sign warning, a fucking DER parse error.

This thinking fall appart when you remember that "code" is just technology, aka a tool meant to improve the life conditions.

I want millennials to leave.

Your ruby scripts aren't code

It's funny because of all the useful features Mozilla removed from Firefox because they allegedly increased vulnerability.

No, you can't set your own newtab page; no, you can't have XUL add-ons; no, you can't have userchrome.css. And then they announce they're replacing gecko with the most insecure engine ever imagined.

I abso-fucking-lutely hate Mozilla.

No, they haven't removed xul addons, no they have removed usechrome customization, and xul addons will only be deprecated after the new api has every practical equivalent. As for servo being 'the most insecure' you really do not know what the fuck you are talking about. You need yo go back to /g/.

So, is this literally just trying to replace random parts of Firefox with untested SJW technology?

Just be happy their smart enough not to use something new written in pure Rust (They want to, but not until it has been audited)

You are the one that needs to fuck off back to /g/. You are pure cancer. If you have no argument because you are fucking wrong just admit you are wrong and accept the information given to you. If you do have an argument, please feel free to point out where that user was wrong instead of bitching about where his information came from, and trying to claim he's a windows user for utterly blowing you the fuck out. You can't because the source cited is correct, no matter how much you dislike that source.

they're*

It's not like your side's writing any better code, is it?
Get owned by the meritocracy, little boy-bitch.

The mentally ill are fun to observe

Well that'd be like saying shit isn't shit and piss mixed in a blender with vomit. Both are still terrible.

I doubt you even get that far

I wouldn't be mad at all if he didn't do that. July has gone now and there's still no builds up on the site. They spent the entirety of July fixing the icon for the taskbar, I'm not expecting anything anytime soon.

Dropped.

Trash.

It sounds pretty interesting to be honest.