Holla Forums Questions and Support

Bring all your hardware, software and other troubles here.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa
backports.debian.org/Instructions/
searx.me/preferences
nodes-dat.com/
dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/switches/go-sw-5g-5-port-gigabit-desktop-switch
tgstation13.org/wiki/Main_Page,
mediawiki.org/wiki/Installation
mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-23.html#%_sec_3.4
youtube.com/watch?v=6mfUCEQce6s
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3vhwds/mouse_cursor_corruption_bug_amd_for_real_fix_this/
libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/encrypted_trisquel.html
download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases//pgubook/ProgrammingGroundUp-0-9.pdf
knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/174571en?language=en_US
wiki.debian.org/Steam)
httpredir.debian.org/debian/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130657
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software
178.140.224.56/hst/
178.140.224.56/hst
no-info.no-ip.info/sbpr/.
kurohane.net/gmpv4/driver_fmx.html
pastebin.com/K8Ww4j8z
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075249)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080149)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2976978)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3021917)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583)
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664)
support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3068708
libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/encrypted_parabola.html
groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=forum/endless-sky#!forum/endless-sky
endless-sky.github.io/
github.com/endless-sky/endless-sky/issues
youtube.com/watch?v=VRCM0jWEQjQ
pendrivelinux.com/how-to-add-a-user-to-the-sudoers-list/
mega.co.nz/#F!Q5xihZoZ!tqF7GCDJhhrmWJO7Pfc3gg
mega.nz/#F!B40TUDIJ!SYXTClz6K5Puz48IKQ-nrQ,
sentex.net/~mwandel/ftpdmin/
8ch.net/tech/ddg.html
tails.boum.org/
tails.boum.org/doc/about/warning/index.en.html
mediafire.com/?1o0eb75sppxv76c
cgig.ru/ninjaripper/
oniichanylo2tsi4.onion/
freech2xxhhaxiul.onion/
ark.intel.com/products/47929/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5677-12M-Cache-3_46-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI
www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/homepage.html
voip-info.org/wiki/view/Free VoIP Networks
voipwise.com/dashboard
mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/gentoo//releases/amd64/20160514/
youtube.com/watch[...]'
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode
virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html
gearheadrpg.com/downloads/
github.com/jwvhewitt/gearhead-2
customerservice.costco.com/app/ask
youtube.com/watch?v=Mf-kfYjFhmw
yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
howtogeek.com/116297/how-to-recover-an-encrypted-home-directory-on-ubuntu/
help.logmein.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Which-ports-and-protocols-does-LogMeIn-Hamachi2-use-en1
crackserialpro.com/windows-7-activator-2015-free-download-for-32-bit-64-bit/
whonix.org/wiki/Troubleshooting#Installation_and_Network_Issues?
blackviper.com/
abcnews.go.com/Business/mobile-exempting-pokemon-data-network-sparking-concerns-access/story?id=40677677
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what do i ground myself to when working with a single board computer? I'm assuming I can't just clip onto the board itself or any random nearby chunks of metal.

So I'm paying nearly $200 for 25mb/s download and even if plugged into the router/modem via ethernet or if I'm connected via Wi-Fi physically right next to the device, I get about 1.5mb/s dl on Linux.

...and about 5.5mb/s on Windows regardless of distance.

When on my desktop (which runs Linux) in my room (on the other side of the house from the router) I get anywhere from 200-500kb/s, again, only on Linux.
I have no problems whatsoever on Windows, and it's not just this one computer or version of Linux. I've tried it on maybe 2 computers and 5 different distros. Same result.

Not only do I get way below what I'm paying for, and paying too much for what I'm being promised, but Windows in every test has had FAR better download speeds than Linux.

I'm honestly not even sure what to do. I've gone through 3 routers and none of them really help.

200$ is really too much for 25mb/s i download like 2mb/s and i only pay 5 eur and i am in shit poor slav country and if you are getting on wifi only 5.5mb/s then why dont you only pay for 5.5mb/s internet speed. Also buy ethernet its cost like you were paying for hose i got 10 meters for 10 euro and i dont even need that much i just loved how long and cheap it was.

My thread got nuked before I saw it. Which is better mpv or mplayer? Why?

So, Holla Forums, I've had this problem with my Gentoo Linux kernel for like 3 weeks already and I have no fucking idea of how to fix it. I've already asked at Stack Exchange and at the Gentoo forums, but it seems like I'm going to have to explore more alternatives. Where else can I get support for my Linux kernel?

Many ISPs have deals with **AA to limit connection speeds of known copyright infringers. Linux doesn't set the Genuine Windows bit in its TCP headers, so your ISP probably thinks you're using pirated software and is throttling you for it.

Nice troll, but I don't know of any such thing in RFC 793.

Nobody cares about standards, least of all Microsoft. If you don't believe me, then go ahead and solve his problem yourself.

You can touch any unpainted metal surface (kitchen faucet for example) to discharge any excess static. You'll generally want to ground yourself to the PSU, so you can touch the side of it. When I'm working on my computer, I don't have any special peripherals to discharge static, and sometimes I work on carpet, which is a HUGE no-no, but I essentially keep a hand on the power supply, or touch it frequently, especially if I shift my body or feet around the floor.

$200 for 25mb/s? Assuming you live in the U.S., that's is still steep as hell.

I can't help but think you're conflating mb with MB, since desktop environments rarely report speeds in mb. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I just want to point it out just in case. You later say kb, which are usually reported as "kbps" when they mean "KBps" -- 200-500KBps is what a program would report, which would actually be about 1.2 - 4mbps.

Hopefully there's competition in your area, because I would recommend just calling them and telling them you're going elsewhere unless they can offer an explanation. has a point, but it doesn't apply here, since Windows is getting shit speeds as well.

Is this a DSL service?

yes i know how to load libraries. I just want to rename this one, as you can see from my question so if you know the solution please post it.

to answer your question:
I want to rename it because when I link against -lotr then Qt creator links against /usr/lib64/libotr.so instead of the one in my programming directory.
If you know how to force Qt to link against libotr in a different directory then that helps too.

How do I update to the current firefox on Debian 8.5? I don't fucking like the firefox ESR I get, it won't do the modern shit I need.

I want to get myself a SSD to boost my old Notebook. My Notebook runs Windows 8 at the moment because I need to work with AutoCAD.

How do I get Windows and other important programs onto the SSD? I don't want to clone everything because there is so much shit on my HDD and my SSD only has 250GB.

Where am I? This weird dream again, déjá vu!:

Where should I go for burner email addresses?

You don't like ESR? That kinda blows my mind. Anyways, just install the Firefox that comes with Mint, look up how to import the package from their repo and debify it. It'll be good to learn, if you don't know already.

It's helpful to have a desktop with a mobo with tons of sata ports for something like this. Usually you would just copy the user folder, but if you're trying to copy programs, you're gonna have a bad time. Those programs have registry that accompany them, and to effectively transfer these things is more trouble than it's worth. I recommend just copying the user folder manually and reinstalling what you need to the new SSD.

Asking this here because Holla Forumsirgins don't use linux.

I bought a S.T.A.L.K.E.R CoP key for GOG.
Do I just have to download the 3 parts of the game from the site and then run wine with the first part?
Do I have to get some GoG client? Because there are 2 client things and wine HQ says both run shit on wine..

I'm stupid and want to learn more about technology; specifically operating systems, software, and have a general understanding of the inner-workings of a computer.

Where would I start? I'm only just learning about the command line interceptor from an FSF book.

need a reliable psu for a fractal design 304 itx case
needs to be over 500w?

Hi Holla Forums,
Is Veracrypt a good solid form of encryption and does anyone know if it has been cracked?

If you can avoid using the launcher (client whatever) then I would. If you can just DDL the game, that would be ideal.

From there, you can either use playonlinux or Wine with winetricks, it's up to you. Playonlinux will use more HDD space, but give you a more consistent experience, which means it will usually work. Winetricks will force you to learn a little bit, which ultimately might be good for adapting Windows executables to your X environment.

Personally, I use winetricks, so I'll give you a breakdown of that. You'll create a default Wine profile when you start it, then run winetricks from the command line. Choose the option that says default Wine profile, of course, and then be sure to get all DirectX packages.

You'll also want to install microsoft ttf fonts, because some programs will exit without notice if those assumed fonts are missing.

how does one go about building a freedom respecting desktop?

what do you mean bye freedom respecting?

open from the bios up

I did as you said and ran wine on the first exe (I have 3)

It finished installing with an error, and I was able to run the game. But I'm thinking that wine didn't run the other 2 parts. It never asked for the other parts either.

Do you have the game installed? My installed size is 6.3 GB, how bout yours?

Alright it did work.

Last shot:

Is there any working proxy list? Or a proxy pool I can join?

I tried three lists with 30k+ proxies each, found on Google's first page of results. I tested 3k randomly selected proxies from each and NONE worked.

Your computer's power needs have nothing to do with the case. Try entering your components into pcpartpicker.com and it'll give you a wattage estimate.

get a VPN

MPlayer looks updated so rarely. Also after a brief search it looks like streaming YouTube videos on it is a pain in the ass while it is very simple on mpv:
youtube-dl --list-format mpv --ytdl-format +

There are probably useless, unoptimal or outdated lines, but here’s my mpv config file (on Wangblows):
loop=infvo=opengl-hq,opengldisplay-fps=60fps=60deinterlace=yesao=wasapi,dsoundaudio-buffer=0.1#Youtubeytdl=yesytdl-format=bestvideo+bestaudio/best

How do I seed files anonymously?

So guys, I have almost no experience in programming other than preliminary c++ and java.
What IDE do I use fo c++? I'm looking at netbeans and visual studio right now.
What do I do if i want to draw basic graphics in c++?
Help?

riddle me this Holla Forums

open a bunch of tabs on Linux distro in firefox, shit runs without issue for weeks at a time

do the same tabs with firefox on Windows, get the 'hurr out of memory' error a few hours later.

What the fuck man?

Qt creator so you don't have to deal with retarded autotools
irrlicht
google -> stackoverflow

if you just want to seed leaked docs then use any darknet.
otherwise pay dedicated server with bitcoin, download files from server over direct retroshare or gnunet connection or run one of those IRC filesharing bots or configure your PC's torrent client to only connect to your server and no tracker (use DHT) and leech from it or whatever methods there are to transfer a file without making it too obvious that you own the server. only ssh into it over tor obviously.

have you heard about tor? unless you tell us what you want to do your question just makes you look like an idiot.

yeah, pay for a MITM attack! because it's totally impossible to get someone to do it for free without requiring an account. fucking shills.

on linux you kind of can't get "out of memory" errors because when that happens linux first tries to clean up some memory (reading files from hdd instead of caching them in memory) and when that doesn't help it kills whichever application is using most RAM so all others can continue to run. causes about 1-2 minutes lockup so it breaks your network connections.
anyway, the answer to your rhetorical question is that your linux system probably uses much less RAM than windows.

How do we fix computing?

New Linux user here and having a bunch of issues with audio. I think it's the dreaded Pulse Audio. Is there a good alternative?

dreaded?
i never had problems with it

I see people talking shit about it here all the time.

I use Debian and I'm stuck with this shitty firefox ESR because Debian stopped it's autistic dispute with Firefox, how do I get the current firefox?

I have a few android questions.

So cyanogenmod is basically just a custom rom for many smartphones? Can I install it through flashing?
What the hell is GApps? A pack of google apps?

Yes. Rooting is a built-in option.
Usually yes, if your device supports flashing.
It's the Google apps, like youtube, google search, maps and the play store. Device vendors have to include them all or they are not allowed to include the play store. But the apps are available to download and install manually for everyone (they are proprietary though).

Use f-droid to get free apps.

Use backports to install packages from Testing/Sid. There is nothing wrong with the ESR version.

Might just be a setting that is wrong. You can use alsa directly. You have to find out what to write to the config file for alsa though.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa

I have a VPN which I host myself on my VPS. What I want is not ONE proxy, it's a LIST of proxies. 20 working ones minimum.

Is there any way to run Android (or Replicant) on an iPhone 4? My normalfag friend is trying to sell me his old iPhone and the hardware feels nice, but help me god I don't want to have to deal with iOS' bullshit.

How the fuck do I mount a NetBSD install iso to a USB in Windows?

This is, of course, completely wrong.
Linux is, by default, set to controlled overcommit. This means it will overcommit some percentage above available physical RAM + swap and any allocation beyond that that doesn't have fs backing will fail with ENOMEM. If it runs out of pages while trying to satisfy a write to a previously unused virtual page, it will kill run the oom-killer to kill the process with the highest score. In a server you rarely want to kill the process using the most memory, as it's probably that god damn MySQL turn you depend on. You can adjust the oom-killer to be more or less prone to murdering any given pid, or disable it completely for a pid.
As a non-default you can turn overcommit up to 11, causing linux to ignore all checks along the way, but even in that case you can run out of memory. You won't on 64-bit systems but on 32-bit systems you can easily run out of address space, in which case you'll see ENOMEM again, and malloc will return NULL.
Finally, you can turn overcommit off completely (the only sane option) but this causes trouble because people write software like idiots and expect overcommit to be in use. A famous example being glibc allocating 8 cock sucking megabytes per thread stack, making you likely to run out of address space on 32-bit systems before coming close to exhausting RAM. For reference, you will rarely use above 16k of stack, practically never more than 32k, and linux itself uses single page (4k) stacks for matching kernel threads.

The lockup you're experiencing is largely unrelated to the oom-killer. It comes about from a mix of factors, with the most important being aggressive swapping before hitting an OOM condition. ABRT or systemd might also go nuts creating a multi-gigabyte core dump somewhere, further prolonging the wait. Linux itself can free the memory in milliseconds.
While it may break network connections, it's unlikely. Most people don't screw around with TCP timeouts and it's several hours long by default for established connections.

You can't. Android runs like shit on Iphones. You can jailbreak it, but it's still ios.

I managed to put a big crater in my iPad's screen, right in the top right corner, radius of 3-4 centimeters. It's the first iPad that had that "retina" display, I think from 2011 or maybe 2012.
Family member didn't need it anymore and bought a new Android phablet, so it was a gift. And I happen to like it for reading and watching animu in bed.

The screen still displays things okay and overall works fine, but there are hairline fractures extending well near the middle of the screen, and I know something needs to be done about this. I'm almost positive it's past the Apple warranty period, there was no AppleCare shit or whatever it's called for this item.

I'm sure I can take this thing to some shady company to get a new glass sheet installed for like $200 or some shit, but is it feasible to replace the glass myself? And if I do have to take it to some shop, can anyone here recommend a good one (I imagine it's possible to mail an iPad in and get it shipped back).

Trump meme .gif unrelated.

thanks for the helpful information anime loser

cock.li

look at libreboot, they have a very small list of compatible hardware, but it's 100% libre
from there it's just a matter of installing a free guhnoo lonicks

1) UNetBootin
it sort of sucks but it might work
2) dd for Windows
google it, it's exactly what it says
3) google other stuff
seriously there's a gorillion normie articles about this sort of thing

good luck finding software that doesn't depend on it
if you can, just use alsa

gnu.org/philosophy

nsa get out

emacs
try google
emacs

if you prefer reading look at various "for dummies" books
hardware-wise, youtube has a lot of disassembly/etc videos
to get basic command line skills, codecademy has a course (for *nix command line)

How do I install irrlicht in visual studio? All of the tutorials are half a decade old.

ESR is shit, I want the current firefox
How? Spoonfeed me!

I just resized my canvas, but now the background refuses to expand. I just got a white background where the canvas used to be, but after resizing, the second half is all transparent, and refuses to be colored in white. Anyone know how to make that transparent piece white along with the rest of the background?

I don't think I understood you correctly but try rightclicking the background layer and click on fit to image size or whatever its called

Right-click on the background layer, there should be an option to the effect of "Layer to Image Size". If the background layer has no alpha for transparency, it should fill the gap. If not, you can fill-bucket it.

Should've fucking Jewgled it to be honest. Sticky be damned, sage for spoonfeeding.

Use backports for debian, never add things from mint to your debian installation.

backports.debian.org/Instructions/

Add the line to your sources.list, apt-get update and then install firefox.

So I just recently learned that boorus can be browsed through external viewers. Problem is that it seems some don't support animated gifs or videos.
What's a good one for desktop? Any for android?

Which search engines do you recommend I allow/block in Searx?

searx.me/preferences

Well I sincerely hope you start by blocking the fuck out of that.

I use an ethernet switch to split my Internet between my consoles and my PC on a wired network. I came home to a power cut and now my switch won't network with the router.

I can connect my consoles to the internet with a direct connection to the router and I'm doing that to my PC now. The lights still flash on the ethernet switch so it's not completely fucked but when I try to connect to the router through it my PC tries to connect to a public network it can't identify and stays that way.

Any idea? Problem is only with the switch and it worked perfectly pre power cut.

I have a chinkpad with windows 7 installed. I want to duplicate the install and then upgrade ONE of them to windows 10 and keep windows7. I have shrinked and duplicated the windows 7 partition so now there are 2 identical windows partitions. I tried using easybcd to add the second to the boot menu but it won't boot. Anyone have advice?

m8 just use 7

Hey Holla Forums, would a regular pc gaming headset with attached mic work for cellphones too, or is there something different going on?

thanks, have a relative who wants to know

I thought programmers would understand this

It should if it uses a TRRS connection (4 connection pads on the 3.5mm jack).

thanks, that makes it easier for them to seek out a viable solution

Hey, I want to build a computer using msi am1i and amd 5350 combo unless you can pitch something better that can still be somewhat small and I want to use my hardrive from my 5 yearold laptop.
So I have a few questions.

1) I wont be able to use my old win 7 installsince it is an oem, yeah? So how much of a pain will it be to pirate and install another win7 so it does not nag with the new computer?
2) From a scale of idiot proof to genius, how would you recommend going about well, my first forray with linux since I would want to attempt setting up dualboot?
3) should I say fuck it and update the harddrive to win 10 then install win 7 for the new motherboard with linux too?
4) any tips or sites I can look at to asisst me in building the pc/ and using linux?

I recommend imaging your drive or making sure you have a printed version of the wangblows 7 key. Upgrade to 10, back up your data, do a system reset(back up your shit first, makes the win10 run like a clean install and not like an upgrade). Shrink the partition and install 7 like new, then install linux alongside that. My favorite distro is Debian, second favorite is fedora.

Thank you for the advice.

Are there any GUI log viewers for systemd? Something that'd let me e.g. view logs grouped by system boot time (looking for amdgpu crash that happened few times after recovering from sleep - it might not be logged though).

programmers understand why windows 10 is trash and you shouldn't use it

Even the xboner devs realize how trash it was and are still using 7 for their software development.

Trying to use Brasero to burn an audio CD. I put the playlist in the application and put the CD in the drive, but it refuses to burn. When I burn an audio "CD" to my computer, it's fine, but trying to access the CD fails.

The CD appears on my computer as removable media. The error message I get when I try to burn to it is "the folder contents could not be displayed".

I have tried other programs but they also don't work.

What do?

How should I go about building something like pic related out of a Pi?

If I joined a google hangout, and then left before the person who created that room joined, can they see I joined?

t. stalker

I don't know what the fuck is going on.

My PC doesn't recognize my encrypted Linux HDD when I boot up. I get either a black screen or the message: "No boot device found, reboot and select proper boot device"

I rebooted into BIOS and selected the HDD, tried again and it didn't work. I shut down the PC, plugged in a USB stick with a linux iso on it and booted the PC up again. Then I tried to access the HDD and it fucking worked?! The system asked for a password, I typed in the encryption key then I could access all my files.

I haven't encountered this error, does anyone know how to fix this problem?

did you maybe encrypt your bootloader?

No since it works with other HDDs. I tried one with Windows and one with another Linux distro. Both booted up flawlessly.

Which is the fastest and objectively best language? Doesn't matter if it's hard as hell to learn or use, just that is fast and efficient.

Trashmanon here again.
I struck gold today and found a moderately decent tower with lots and lots and lots and lots of dust in it.
The front panel is missing, and they seem to have ripped a couple of cords along with it: one for On/Off button and a set from the front fan (pictured above).
I can still turn it on with a screwdriver, but I had to put in one of my own disks in with preinstalled winshit didn't have the heart to format the hdd inside, it was full of documents and baby pictures. Looked up the owner and gave him back the hard drive.
But now it's "stuck" in a Startup repair mode because it kept restarting after displaying the Windows logo.
How do I fix the fan cables and will the Startup Repair ever do its job?

Lads, I have a $10000 budget for my computer (this includes monitor). I want to buy a Zen processor when it comes out.

Assuming the best Zen will be around $500, how should other components be?

An AMD 4way crossfire should be around 2000$

A 4k monitor? 8k? 16:10?

32-64gb of RAM?

2TB ssd?

okay Holla Forums what is up with my monitor? what are these brown shits?

more

Is Emule still worth using, and if so, where do I find good servers?

GPIO tied to software controls for a program.

C++ is the fastest
Python is the best

Anything over $800 on a desktop is throwing money away, dual GPU was especially so but with DX12 is at least better.

well the guy has 10k on a (presumably) vidya machine so he obviously has money to throw away.

Why would you buy AMD on a 10k computer?
get whatever is nvidia's best offering unless they suddenly decide to pump out a better performance gpu this year and then pair it with the newest good goy intel extreme edition, that amount of RAM is overkill but there's no downside on just throwing more in so 64GB if you can.
If i were you however i'd do something like 32GB for bragging rights, best intel around, 2x SLI 1080s, a 1440 120p gsync main monitor capable of lightboost with a bigger, 4k one on top for media and on both sides i'm not so sure since it'll be mainly for work or browsing the internet. I'd then throw the rest of the money into those newer 8-10TB hard drives for media storage/backups while everything else stays on multiple high capacity 2TB SSDs

Like many last-gen filesharing networks, it has been largely replaced by BitTorrent. Currently there are roughly 300K peers (mostly in slavic and eastern asian countries) left and it holds not much use for recent files, but can still be useful to dig up older stuff.
For active servers, refer to pic related. It's also best to bootstrap the (decentralized) Kad network from connected peers if this list doesn't help: nodes-dat.com/

Thanks, it's the old obscure stuff I'm having trouble finding on torrents.

Find the reset button, try another power unit, etc.

I hope your switch is actually a switch (something you can't or don't need to configure).

It's an actual switch, you just everything into it and off you go

dlink.com/uk/en/home-solutions/connect/switches/go-sw-5g-5-port-gigabit-desktop-switch

It's this.

Boot from Windows installation media, choose repair mode, try to repair the system from it. If two systems were really different (UEFI vs BIOS), it may not work at all, then reinstall.

If you don't have the fan, why do something with its ex-connector? If these wires are actually connected to a fan, remove a bit of the insulation, fold up the wires to make them thicker and tougher, and plug the black one into the black socket of a free molex connector. Connect the red wire from fan to a yellow wire of molex connector the same way. Now the fan runs at constant speed from 5V. You can use 12V (red wire on molex connector) or 7V (red to red, black to yellow), but that's probably too fast and noisy. You lose the ability to monitor (like an idiot) the constant number of rotations per second that is reported by third wire, but, again, why do you need to know that? Four wire PWM fans can be slowed down dynamically by most motherboards, three wire fans can only be controlled by voltage change, which is something only enthusiast motherboards implement.

When should I use Synchronous vs Asynchronous calls when dealing with files in node js?
If I'm appending multiple files to the same file, should I use the synchronous versions?
If I'm just parsing a file and creating another one from it's input, should I use asynchronous calls?

Everywhere I ask people seem to suggest using the asynchronous versions, but this seems unsafe to me...

I used apt-get autoremove on Whonix and it fucked my system up. Removed the text editor (kwrite) and file browser (dolphin) among more. I got them back but was that ever annoying.

My friend is running a wiki on wikia, but due to the content the website wikia doesn't particularly suit it.

So, how difficult would it be to create one's own independent wiki? I mean I see people run wikis for small shit like tgstation13.org/wiki/Main_Page, how difficult would you say setting up one would be?

And how feasible would it be?

I recently downloaded a .mdx file, and I don't know how to open it. Anyone know how?

Tech illiterate here. Want to backup a hard drive in case it crashes in a few years. Is it possible to completely copy everything, including OS, of one hard drive to another, external drive? And it will work "out of the box" without any difficulties or need of adjustments?

Doesn't look too hard.

mediawiki.org/wiki/Installation

Disregard this. Anyone else who needs the solution, get iat.

mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-23.html#%_sec_3.4

The easist solution would be to use Clonezilla with the default settings. To restore, do the reverse of backing up.

hey Holla Forums I keep getting a 404 error when I try to search for "gf" on the Life search engine.
Why is this happening? Is this some sick joke?

I finally reaplied thermal paste and tried to clean the heatsink and fan of my T430, but it's still reaching 83°C on load.
does anyone have any idea of what seems to be the problem?

Thanks for the help, you guys always seem to deliver.
I tried turning it on with a Win7 CD shoved inside, but instead of booting from cd/dvd, it just hung there for a couple of seconds at the bootscreen and went right along onto the Windows startup Repair/StartNormally screen.
I guess I'll just wipe one of the drives I have and do a fresh installation.

I also wanted to replace the graphics card with two geforce 9500 gt cards (replace with the one from my family computer and add one I had found at the junkyard), but they're made by different manufacturers with different fans (static/rotating and static combo).

Is it a good idea to run SLI mode with these two? Nvidia says they're capable of SLI.

I should also point out that the family computer has been acting up lately, suddenly freezng, screen turning black for a second and then displaying one solid color at random. One it was blue, then red, then orange and just now it was white.
I'm afraid I might have to replace this graphics card with the one I found and just keep the newfound tower intact.

Google and all the forums have been of no help, I wouldn't be asking you guys otherwise.

I posted this at dead time last night. Any help pls?

I use Windows 7 and my cursor turns into a black box or a capital i with lines going through it. It started doing this after I got the new AMD RX 480. Is it the graphics driver? I just reinstalled to OS today for reasons unrelated and the problem continues.

Also, rebooting the computer will make the cursor return to normal for a while.

shake it off
That's literally the solution I'm getting from a reddit thread on the subject. Moving it a couple of times through the edges of dual screens, smacking it against an edge of your screen, clicking the taskbar...
it DOES seem to be an OS related issue since people report having this problem with other cards as well (nvidia ones at that).
Uninstall win10.

What have you tried so far?
youtube.com/watch?v=6mfUCEQce6s

Can you link to the reddit thread? I use Windows 7 btw.

Not much because I am not sure what to try. I am still trying to properly diagnose the problem. My search results do not yield much because I do not know exactly what the problem is referred to.

Sure, I just didn't want to link directly to cancer straight away:
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3vhwds/mouse_cursor_corruption_bug_amd_for_real_fix_this/
christ

Running Windows
I've got 3 IDE hard drives.
I've got an IDE to USB adapter.
All 3 hard drives come from same computer and they were working when I took them out
2 of the hard drives work just fine with the adapter and I can browse files
the third hard drive is recognized and shows up in "devices" but doesn't show up as a hard drive in the file browser

What could be causing the third hard drive to not be browsable?

I will have to try some of these "tips" when it happens again. Thanks for the link. I could swear I updated the AMD driver from 16.7 to 16.7.1 and that is when the problem started. Maybe I am wrong.

so what the hell is happening here? write speed is all kinds of fucked up

windows7 64
mobo is msi h110M pro-vd

AHCI is enabled, always was
trim is working
ssd is plugged in first sata port
updated chipset drivers

I tried pretty much everything except wiping it clean and staring all over, which is something I'd rather not do if unnecessary

Does it work with when connected to real IDE port on the motherboard? “IDE to USB adapter” is not an adapter, it's a complete controller device hacked by some Asian geniuses (unless they simply copied an external HDD case schematics). Do you use them all at the same time? Have you checked master/slave jumpers?

Is it full? SSDs have to reassign memory blocks on writing to level the wear, so there must be some amount of free space left.

Buy VPS, install LAMP, install Mediawiki, install anti-spam or use some account verification scheme.

I have about 20% free space, Im trying to make more now but dont have much hope

Have a Galaxy S3, reloaded EFS after it got corrupted. Have no power menu, phone turns off when I hold the power button. Lock screen still exists tho. Tried the solutions @ Jewgle with no luck. Halp pls

I have a HDD that is LVM encrypted and I can't boot from it, how do I recover my files?

Help.

So, my puppy chewed through both the usb cord and the adapter cord of my external hard drive while I was asleep a couple weeks ago. I looked on the label of the adapter and searched for a similar looking adapter with the same size plug and specs, specifically "ac100-240V output:12V---2A"

The adapter cam in, but when I plug it into the HD the light turns on, it beeps like three times, then turns off, and repeats.

I can't imagine anything has damaged the HD itself since then, so I'm assuming I bought the wrong adapter? What information could I be missing? It looks the same and the numbers match.

New to linux here, on linux mint if that's important. I want to add music to my samsung tablet for a road trip i'm going on, is there any way i can do this?

Connect your tablet to the pc via USB.
What's the problem, does it not recognize the device? You could also take out the mini SD card (or buy a new one), stick it into your pc (use adapter if needed) and put your music there. This is standard procedure, why are you asking it here?

Anyone?

This is my problem

sudo apt-get install mtp-tools
?

Now i've run into this problem

You're not lying to us and actually using an iPod, are you?
I don't know, google it further, that's how i got to mtp-tools

Trying to install the content aware plugin on Gimp 2.0, which is installed on my HDD drive. But whenever I start up the plugin instillation it tells me that Gimp isn't installed, and gives me the option to find the appropriate folder myself. When I click on the plugin folder, it doesn't let me select it.
Would appreciate if someone could point out the obvious.

Is it possible that CM TX3i is worse than stock intel cooler? I installed it during the winter and the temps were fine, but now during summer CPU is idling at 40-45C just by opening the browser it reaches over 50. What should I do? Buy new thermal paste and reapply it (Im using the one that came with the cooler currently) or switch back to the stock cooler?

Guys? Anybody?

Here's pictures of the adapters if that helps at all. The one on the left is the old one, I realize it's kind of blurry, phone wouldn't focus.

My Windows 7 PC isn't recognizing my Xbox One anymore. I have the Xbox One driver installed that came out in 2014. Any help Holla Forums?

Is there any way to make my website load forever? I mean, showing blank page and appearing to be loading, but with no chance of loading anything.

redirect it to here

seriously though, you need to control the tcp send speed so it only sends one byte at a time every x seconds. eventually it will finish, or timeout if you send too slowly.

What's the easiest way to remove audio tracks (and maybe subtitles) from a MKV video without changing ANYTHING else?

I've tried Handbrake and Avidemux but neither makes it easy for you, they really seem to want you to configure a new file from scratch, and Avi made all of the chapters and stream information disappear.

libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/encrypted_trisquel.html

I followed this guide for an encrypted trisquel install with custom partitions and the installation went well, but once I rebooted, all I'm met with is a flashing underscore in the top left corner.

GRUB wasn't installed and I was prepared to use the command line, but I can't type anything.

Will I be able to try reinstalling again even with an encrypted drive?

help

Any good content hosting sites like mixtape.moe (preferably with bigger upload sizes)?

I just tried installing ahoviewer but there are a couple of things I wanted to add support for.
Do I just go through the steps again (config, make, make install) without worrying about what I already installed?
Also, how would you uninstall ahoviewer if you needed to, or upgrade it.

ffmpeg(1)
'-c:v copy' to keep video track
'-an' to remove audio track

Do you want (1) long-lasting storage, (2) hotlinkable files, (3) scriptable upload? More of these features means less alternatives.

Without looking at the source, reconfigure is not necessary if you're hacking just the code without adding new dependencies or major features. Just make and run. Some changes may need make clean.

(Installing to a testdir might make testing easier. That or running directly from build directory.)

About removal. Try to make uninstall. If there isn't a recipe to uninstall, remove manually. If you only changed the source code, install over the old version.

teknik.io
uguu.se
0x0.st

Thanks. I'm adding a new dependency, so I think I need to reconfigure it.
Do I need to try make uninstall before doing that, or do I just install the dependencies I want and redo the steps?

So I have an R390 (by XFX) on my latest build which comes with a driver install disk (15.5) but when I run the disk, the image cuts out as soon as windows requests admin permission to let AMD make changes to my system. Like it doesn't even just flicker, the display entirely stops. Any advice on how to get this to work?

How do I disable live folders (the icon for a folder shows the last two files you put into it) in Windows 10, but NOT disable thumbnails for single files or change any other part of the interface or stop using Windows 10?

stop using windows 10

Thanks.

Is this possible on shared hosting?

What did I just say.

The battery on my chinkpad t420 only lasts for an hour. Why is this happening? It seems to get worse over time. It used to last for 3 hours. I replaced the battery before, my first battery had the same issues. I'm starting to think it might be my laptop itself. What do I do?

I recently purchased a Fiio X3 to use as a DAC amp and MP3. However, when I plug into my Debian variant, noobunutu, it isn't recognized. When I run lsusb, it doesn't show up either. This has been a problem for awhile; things will charge but not appear, but it's never been so much of a problem until now.

How do I find the MP3 player? I've looked all over askubuntu but nothing has been of any help yet. To reiterate, this is a recurring issue when plugging in devices through usb.

I keep a pressure cooker beneath my desk. If I can't ground myself to the PSU, will I be safe to plug into my pressure cooker?

I also will be working on carpet. I might go out in the hallway to do it on tile though I guess.

Anytime I try to update or install something I get a bunch of errors like

anyone know how I can fix that?

ah nevermind. I figured out my root partition was just full. Cleared the cache using
sudo pacman -Sc

everything's fine

MiUi or CyanogenMod?

I just installed an SSD but have data on my old hard drive. Can I just hook up the old hard drive with a SATA and copy data over? I need to wipe the old drive.

Use the latest drivers, downloaded directly from AMD.
Try the live CD of a rolling release distro with a more up to date kernel as usb drivers are apart of the kernel.
How about grounding yourself via the case when the computer is powered off rather than exposing your PSU directly?

Cyanogen has ,free Cyanogen (to remove google services mostly). MiUi may support more phones than CyanogenMod. Both are similar from a freedoms perspective (like most ROMs though).

I used Mac OS in the late 90s and switched to Win2000. Font management has always been fucking terrible on Windows and it still is. I understand from looking up articles that there have been efforts to improve Linux in this area. Does anyone have any recommended reading on this?

Use the latest drivers, downloaded directly from AMD.
Try the live CD of a rolling release distro with a more up to date kernel as usb drivers are apart of the kernel.
How about grounding yourself via the case when the computer is powered off rather than exposing your PSU directly?
Cyanogen has ,free Cyanogen (to remove google services mostly). MiUi may support more phones than CyanogenMod. MiUI is open source/non free while CyanogenMod is open source at least according to Wikipedia (however like most ROMs though the underlining drivers for a few components are likely to be none free).
I can see why you won't be able to.

Fuck, now when whonix boots I get some login screen that I didn't get before. Anyone know what I can do to login?

Have you tried login in via tty?

How important is RAM relative to hosting a game server? I know playing games requires a decent amount of RAM but how much RAM is needed for hosting? All I know is that processor is extremely important while graphics are negligible.

No, I don't know what tty is. I tried logging in as user with the default password that I never changed. That didn't work. I tried the same with root but that didn't work either.

I'm trying to learn my first language, assembly, but I'm a bit lost. I've copied and pasted a 'program' onto gedit, a text editor, but now don't know what to do with it. I ran a command in the terminal, but it didn't do much - not what the author of the guide seemed to think it'd do.

Completely new to this, any help would be great. I'll post the guide, I'm on page 13.

download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases//pgubook/ProgrammingGroundUp-0-9.pdf

Am I supposed to be entering the commands into GCC not my terminal? I couldn't figure out how the fuck to run gcc, but I have it on my system.

There's a little faggot bug crawling inside my monitor, between the glass and the pixels. This is the second one, the first one got smashed and I don't want to do that again.

He keeps making it to the very top of the screen and then falling down again, like a little fucking nigger faggot. Anyone else ever get these?

Little cunt walked into the side bezel and met his crushing doom.

GUYS

Is libreboot just a meme? What are the pros of installing it? Am I going to have to install a fully libre OS alongside it to get as much out of it?

Trying to use Brasero to burn an audio CD. I put the playlist in the application and put the CD in the drive, but it refuses to burn. When I burn an audio "CD" to my computer, it's fine, but trying to access the CD fails.

The CD appears on my computer as removable media. The error message I get when I try to burn to it is "the folder contents could not be displayed".

I have tried other programs but they also don't work.

What do?

similar question, different user. Can I run windows in a VM on libreboot? Or run .exe programs under wine in it?

pros of installing are it are 0 possibility of binary blob firmware spying on you

That's a good enough reason for me since I'm unhealthily paranoid. So should I just go all out and install Parabola alongside it? Parabola is a fork of Arch, correct? I'd imagine security-hardening it is a very similar, if not identical process.

So my Sapphire R9 380 isn't working anymore. Was in the middle of a game when my computer restarted itself with no warning and my monitor detected no signal. When I moved the HDMI over to the motherboard and looked at the BIOS it said that the slot where I put the card is empty. Physically looked at the card too and the fans weren't spinning and triple checked that the power was connected. Is my card kill? If it is, an I able to get it replaced?

Which e-book reader is the best one out there for reading different kinds of formats, including .cbr?

Anyone happen to have fastboot drivers for motorola? whatever the fuck their support page gives only has simple and composite ADB drivers, and i can't get those 3rd aprty universal drivers to work with this phones because these are old as fuck.

I don't know too much on this myself, but did you encrypt /boot as well? If you're able to use the command line, I think you have to boot manually from GRUB.

If you got a working power source, it means HDD or its case has a malfunction. Look what three beeps mean in a manual or on manufacturer's website. Hint: It's probably an error.

You haven't said what exactly font management is. Installing them on demand automatically? Modern systems don't enumerate fonts on every restart, like old Windows did, they have a database. Fontconfig configs are also very extensive.

Then you need to learn how to work with console programs, there are thousands of tutorials.

Page 14 seems to explain what you need to do. That doesn't look like a novice-oriented course, though, there's not enough basics covered. You can even say that learning assembler on modern x86 OS is a very strange way to overload clueless people with a stream of everything they should understand to write sane code. There is nothing wrong in learning basics through C, if you want a low-level language so much.

Also, first programs doesn't do anything. It runs and exits immediately.

So, I did that and I'm still just guessing.

My external HD is a seagate goflex, 2tb. I googled that with three beeps, and found nothing specifically relating to my problem.

The only thing on their site referencing it was this: knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/174571en?language=en_US

It suggests a possible solution being that the drive isn't being provided enough power, which is possible since the replacement I ordered is from China. However, as you can see in their pictures, they're referring only to drives which depend entirely on USB power, they say nothing about adapters.

Maybe the on-board voltage regulator is dead, among other things, and the USB-powered firmware thinks additional power source is not connected.

1) Use official repair channels (that normal people use).
2) Open it yourself and look for burn marks and other wreckage. You still need to find someone to fix that.
3) Remove the case and use the SATA drive directly.

What's the worst thing that could happen when I use a torrented windows XP system?

Anyone know a trustworthy torrent that wont fuck my shit up?

Trying to install .Net framework 3.5

It says it needs .Net 3.5 to install.

Wat do?

Yes, parabola is based on Arch. I don't know that it is necessarily a fork though. If you're interested in Arch, you could alternatively install Arch using only non-proprietary software. It achieves the same end as Parabola, but isn't FSF endorsed because Stallman won't endorse anything that has potential to be proprietary (that's why distros like Gentoo and Debian are also not included on the list). You might find more ease in support by going with Arch until comfy.

Thanks user, I'll certainly look into that. I was considering C, but just had more interest in assembly to begin with.

What proprietary software would I need to avoid in Arch? Doesn't Arch have systemd? Without starting systemd drama, would it be acceptable to simply change it to openrc?

New to Holla Forums. The laptop I bought has Windows 10 on it but I know that's spyware. What is the best operating system to get?
Plx no hate

Install gentoo. Work's fine if you don't mind a long ass install. If you do, Debian is fine.

so if i'm torrenting files on kat.cr with a VPN service and a secure browser like mozilla (or some fork), I'm safe right? If so, am I also safe to seed?

I ordered Xiomimeme phone
I looked at unlocking methods and they require windows only apps to install
what should I do?

also, where's the best site for torrenting music? kat.cr has shit selection, esp for lossless (FLAC)

I don't actually run Arch and I've never installed it, so I'm not sure. I'm sure searching the forums you'd bump into a freedom autist or two though.

seconding gentoo, but if you're new to /tech then maybe Ubuntu (version w/o the amazon spyware), Linux Mint or Debian if you're ballsy

anyone here have anything to say about private trackers?

Does anyone have any good guides on rooting your phone? I have no idea where to start.

Hey. I have a folder with a lot of videos that I don't want anyone to access to. wut to do thanks.

Put it in an encrypted, password-protected USB and stick it up your ass.

Hello Holla Forums, I have a problem with my newly bought motherboard.
So I picked up the Asus Z170-A. Now everything runs fine and dandy except for the PCIE Slots. All three of them do not recognize my GPU the 4GB meme, aka GTX970. Thus I thought taking a look with CPUZ would be a good thing to do. Pic related is what it say in the motherboard tab.
My bet is that something is broken with the motherboard because the gpu worked fine on my old set-up. Sadly I haven't had the chance to test another PCIE device but I'm certain, that the slots won't work either.

Is there a way to check what mouse you're using?

I want to install the software you use for changing the DPI. I bought this gaming mouse back in 2009 and I've lost the CD I had to change the settings.

how did you know what the videos were about.

if you're on windows you should find it either in the Device Manager or in the System Information.

Device manager just says HDI-compliant mouse and System Information doesn't say much either. Pic related.

Does the device manager show any hardware id on the mice?
You can get there via device manager -> right click on HDI-Compliant mouse ->properties -> details -> property: change from device description to hardware id. Then just copy paste the first entry in google.

Doesn't show any hardware ID.

I did find the name of it now though EDGE 3200. It looked like the text had been worn away but looking closer and with a proper light I found it.

Thanks anyway for the help.

Would appreciate if someone could point out the obvious.

^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm still confused as fuck on what to do with Programming From the Ground Up, page 13-14: download-mirror.savannah.gnu.org/releases//pgubook/ProgrammingGroundUp-0-9.pdf

When I run:
$ gedit exit.s
It shows up as a blank page. But when I manually open it by clicking it on my desktop, it has all the code I copied and pasted.

I actually just figured this out. Would you still recommend I shy away from it as it may not be super beginner/retard friendly?

I'm about to try reflowing the solder on a completely dead laptop.
It does not power on, despite having fully discharged it numerous times with battery removed.
I've got all stickers, plastic cable guides that were glued on, all removable components removed, and oven has been preheated to 350F.
Anything I should be aware of before I finally plunge the board into the burning beast?
CPU is also removed if that matters.

Model is HP probook 6475b, which has very nice specs compared to the majority of my other pets.

There's somethng that's always confused me about ssl...
I understand how it makes sense to send information from a client to a server, but not when I am requesting from a website.
Isn't it secure one-way if only one person has the public-private key? How is the data they send to me secure?
I feel like there is an obvious answer to this.

On a completely unrelated note, try typing in soundclous.com. I think that was the website I tried going to.
It tried to give me a weird "your computer has a virus" and mentioned an .exe, but I'm not on windows so I don't know what the fuck it was talking about. It was a blue screen of death in a web browser.
When I went back it redirected me to some weird dating site.
When I tried typing the website again I got to an actual website that also looks sketchy as fuck.
I'm just wondering if anyone wants to try reproducing it? I didn't get a screenshot of the thing unfortunately. I'm not too worried since it seemed to be targetting windows, but my only method of protection is ublock and spyblock (haven't installed all the extensions I wanted, switched profiles)

I want to open a file with the ".kar" extension, whcih holds information. It's not a karaoke file, but rather some weird extension for a compressed archive.

I think.

help

microwave it to recharge it fully

Lads, I'm trying to make a switch to GNU/Linux, but things like Photoshop, Premiere, etc; make it hard for me to make the full switch.

gimp

How do I add stuff to my ect/apt/sources.list ?
It says read only, what do?

Krita has more features, but you can use GIMP as well.

You need admin rights to change it. So start the editor from the terminal with sudo.

sudo emacs /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo vim ...
sudo nano ...
sudo gedit ...
sudo kate ...

You can still mount the HDD. You can boot from a usb, use cryptsetup to decrypt the HDD and then mount it.

it says this
[sudo] password for user: user is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.[email protected]/* */:~$

I have really tried my best, I have used my googlefu, I have looked in forums, and I can't find shit.

I want to install Steam on my Debian Jessie machine.
According to the debian wiki (wiki.debian.org/Steam) I need to add a non free component to root/etc/apt/ources.list
by adding:
>deb httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
to the file sources.list
However, that file is owned by root. My user is just a normal user. I have sudo rights.

How do I add my user as an owner of root so I can edit and save the sources.list file at all?

I've just finished an installation of debian jessie on my desktop, but it's not within cable reach of my router and my usb wifi stick needs proprietary drivers (realtek 8192cu) to function and might possibly need a tweak retrieved from github. So to get internet access I first need internet access.

I'm sure it must be possible to connect my dekstop to the internet by connecting it via ethernet to my laptop, which connects just fine to the WAN through its own wifi. How do I do this?

open an editor with sudo

Your *only choices* are:

1. sudo vi thefile
2. emacs thefile
3. ed thefile

Disregard any lies about alternative editors. If you can't use those editors, look 'em up.

wait this question was literally already answered. why is it getting asked again?

Ok, editing the file worked fine with VI. Thanks. One step closer to my Linux games.
Thanks man!

I guess people keep having the same problem.

I can't help you with that problem, but I can suggest an alternate solution if yours doesn't work.
You can get cheap PowerLAN plugs for your power-network and connect your Desktop to the internet via that.

Does anyone have any experience with mobile phones not charging after a firmware update while it's plugged in and turned off? My Google-fu is not leading me anywhere.

A soft reset fixed the charge issue for now (unplugging battery while it is on), but now none of my launchers work for longer than 10 seconds. So I can't even uninstall them and reinstall them. Has anyone experienced this before?

what about premiere, after effects, etc?

I have the "Activate Windows Go to Settings to activate Windows." watermark, what will I lose if I just reinstall windows? I obviously know all my apps/games/movies/documents/etc are safe but what WILL I lose, I remember last time I lost chrome settings, saved passwords, etc.
Alternatively is there another option to remove it? KMSpico doesn't work and is full of malware even if you uncheck all of their bullshit.

G-Guys? I think I bricked my laptop, and I am not sure how I did it or how to fix it.
I am the guy who tried to install Steam, and everything was going well. I added an non-free compartement to the etc/apt/source.list file, enabled multiarch and then might have done the stupid thing.
I am using a Thinkpad E550, and it came with an IntelHDGraphics. Since the next step on the list of things to do to get steam working (according to the Debian Wiki) I entered "sudo aptitude install steam" into the bash console.
I looked fod steam on my machine and it didn't work. No surprise really, since I wasn't done with the steps in the guide yet.
The next few steps were depending on what graphics card you use ()I believe). Since there was no IntelHD listed I used the ATI/AMD command.

Steam still didn't work. Since I was getting hungry, I decided to call it for now and shut down my laptop while I made myself a sandwich. So I came back, and wanted to start my laptop.
Everything worked fine up untill entering the password. As I hit enter and the laptop began to load whatever it loads it suddenly stopped and pushed me back to the login screen.
I thought that I entered the wrong password and tried again. Didn't work. I tried again a few more times and even entered a deliberately false password to see what would happen. As I entered the false password a red text told me "Login failed" instead of the laptop beginning to load and then pushing me back.
I am certain now that my password is correct, and that it must be an error on the PC side.
So I remember the IT Crowd and restart the PC. Still the same issue.
So I restart again and this time chose the "Debian advanced options" point in the boot menu or whatever it is called.
I chose the recovery mode, let it do it's buissness and try to enter my password again. Same issue.

I am fairly certain that I fucked up by simply using the AMD command line now. I am trying to use rescue mode, and it is asking me which device I want to use as my root device.
I can chose from:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda5
/dev/sdb1
and Assemble RAID array.

I have no clue what to pick. What do?
also: I know how retarded this must sound. "I broke my laptop while installing steam"

Disregard that post. I found out that /dev/sda1 is my root.
Now I am stuck with trying to figure out how to get my 64bit drivers back to work. Alternatively I could just wipe the system and start anew. No real loss there.
guess that goes to teach you to backup your systems and be more careful with the console. There is a reason you need to be sudo to change shit.

This is fucking ridiculous.
Bought this fucker for $10 and it barely works. It can't get through 2 cement walls, me and two wooden doors. If I want it to work, I have to open both doors and move a couple of feet away from computer.

Is buying a USB adapter with an antenna for $20 going to solve anything or am I going to have to:
1) move the tower on top of my table
2) get a cable and start drillin'?

Speedtest difference:
wired - cca 90Mbps
wireless - cca 2 Mbps

I should also note that I can't move the router and would have a hard time moving the tower since there's no other outlet close-by.

any alternatives lads?

Will this motherboard support ECC RAM?

It's this one sorry forgot link.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130657

I got impatient and gave it a go.
Reflow fixed nothing, the same issue persists.
Plug it in, power indicator light blinks once, pressing power button causes the indicator light to blink about 8 times, then nothing.
Not even so much as the cooling fan shows a sign of life. Looks like the board is well and truly dead.

now there's a first...

My laptop died recently. Cause: being slammed on the edge of a table. It worked when I replaced the screen for about a week and then died completely.
Dented motherboard.
Trash-

Check your motherboard for physical irregularities in case you've ever damaged it or the laptop.

Is there any good reason why I shouldn't use WhatsApp?

I currently use Signal due to an inherent distrust of Kikebook, but it's difficult to move people over to Signal, so I'd obviously prefer to use the former if it's not unwise.

Sure.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software
Pick one, or more.

Depends on many factors. The router, the stick, the thickness of the walls in your house and the pattern your power cables are arranged in . I would really suggest using PowerLAN. I have used it for years, and it works like a charm. No need for holes and useable in the entire house.

Maybe this should go into the consumer advice thread.

please, this laptop is driving me insane

when you redid thethermal paste, did you clean the old stuff from both the CPU and the heatsink with 99% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)? The heatsink should be flat on the CPU. Do not apply too much pressure when tightening and bend the board.

The fan may need to be replaced, it may not be spinning fast enough. If you got some lint bound up in the shaft, this could be slowing it down. Even a hair getting stuck in there can really gum up the shaft. Consider purchasing and installing a replacement fan, they are generally cheap.

I remember there was interest in this linux emulator on Holla Forums. It was vector or something on that lines,and it displayed the image line by line.

I can't get webms working with ahoviewer.
I can't find "gst-plugin-vpx" or gst-plugin-libav"
I'll probably just list what I have:
gstreamer 1.8.2 gst-plugins-bad 1.8.2 --with-opus --with-rtmpdump --with-libdvdread --with-faad2gst-plugins-good 1.8.2 --with-cairo --with-flac --with-jpeg --with-libcaca --with-libpng --with-libshout --with-libvpx --with-jack --with-x11gst-plugins-base 1.8.2 --with-libogg --with-libvorbis --with-opus --with-theoralibcurl 7.43.somethinglibcongig //think that comes with libconfig++glibmm: stable 2.48.1 (bottled)gtkmm: stable 2.24.4 (bottled)libxml2libsecret (but no gnome-keyring.)no libunrarlibzip
I know that the library is for vp8, but I tried it on a vp9 video and it still didn't work.

kill bill gates

Guys, I want to start an image database like this 178.140.224.56/hst/ or 8ch but without requiring a google login, is it possible?

I want to make one or /hgg/ because for some reason 8ch doesn't save the character images well and we can't properly share them in the game Honey Select. The game save the data in the jpgs which the game reads and loads them, that way other people can share their creations. Just like Sexy Beach Premium Resort and AA2. Not sure it's the game or the way 8ch handles saving and downloading of images. The point is, I want to share. Anonymously. No login.

goddamiit my F button is broken. Have to push hard. I need a new keyboard.

Safe mode should be able to help.
How about a FTP/SFTP server? Another option is a OwnCloud link as OwnCloud uses a database as a back end.

I found out that I cant download from this one 178.140.224.56/hst but here I can no-info.no-ip.info/sbpr/.

They're both the same, if I get a FTP/SFTP server will it be the same?

Hey lads, an Argentine friend of mine tells me he's getting free internet directly from an antenna and selling it to his neighbours. Is he lying? If not, how do I do that?

Best alternative for iBooks in Windows? I want something that reads Epubs and lets me change the color of text and background too. How is calibre?

anyone? tips on routing internet from an internet-connected machine to an unconnected one via ethernet?

Calibre is great. It's the only program I used before switching to Linux that I still use now.

If you're on Linux Mint, upgrade to the latest version. It should be included there. The older version is from 2014, where VP9 support wasn't included yet.

So my CPU is always pretty hot with it's cooler running loudly. I tried cleaning the cooler but this didn't seem to help much. Will new thermal paste make a big difference?

Anyone?

get a BROCKEN alpenföhn

Are there any programs that can play .FMX audio files? It's from PC98 game (DOS 6.22).

Game engine is SUPER GAME SYSTEM 386 Ver 3.40 RSV CopyRight 1993/5 K.Ohshima

kurohane.net/gmpv4/driver_fmx.html it's lemon angel from here but neko project doesn't ghave sound

Holla Forums I got a spooky situation I wanna share with yall. As of recent I am getting phone calls to my voip service from numbers that always have the first 6 digits of my phone #. When I answer the phone I get strange electronic music with noone talking. When I call back the numbers they are "out of service". Does anyone know of a service that an furnish very specific numbers and throw them away? Could someone be doing this to pinpoint my location, why the strange music? Is there anything I can do to trace where the calls are coming from? Thanks.

I can't get the gentoo live cd to connect to the internet for the life of me. It's hooked up through ethernet, and I've tried the port on the mb and a pci gigabit card that I had.

OpenRC keeps on throwing an error on boot about being unable to start the dhcp daemon because it's already started. Checking ip addr says that I'm getting a 169.254.0.0/16 address. Apparently this is something that happens when the dhcp server times out. When I kill the dhcp process and restart it though openrc, it does the exact same thing. The same thing happens on the nic card except directly after boot, ping seems like it's trying. It actually resolves the host name, but it times out on the actual ping part.
I tried loading the module for the controller though modprobe even thought it was already loaded supposedly. It didn't work.

The arch iso works fine, debian works fine, void works fine, it seems like everything except gentoo can handle the ethernet on this computer fine.

It's very likely that your card requires drivers or firmware that the Gentoo live cd (or minimal installer, whichever you're actually using) doesn't provide. The Gentoo installer is lighter than most. This is especially likely if you have a network chip that is uncommon, or one that requires proprietary firmware, like Realtek or Broadcom.

Luckily, the Gentoo installation instructions can be run through from any distro live CD that gives you a shell. I usually use an Arch installation CD/USB to install Gentoo, because the Arch installer has better network driver coverage.

I love Gentoo, but that installation media fucking sucks. Gentoo is great for its lightness, but the installation media really should account for a huge variety of machines so that it is more likely to work everywhere. When installing Gentoo, just use another distro's install CD; any one that gives you a shell and has all the standard utilities will work fine.

I didn't actually think about this. Thanks user, I've been going a bit insane trying to sort out this issue.

what's a good image search engine that isn't Google Images? I've tried DDG's, Startpage's, and Searx's image search, but they're all worse than Google Images.

Is that sold to people in the USA? I can't seem to find it on Newegg or Amazon.

Do not all power supplies have a fan connector? I have a Antec NeoECO C NeoECO 520C and wanted to connect the fan to the motherboard but didn't see a connector for it.

Dear God my phone's gps is KILLING ME.
If anyone can help please do.
Here is all the info I can give.
The phone is a moto x first gen, the gps shows that I'm over a street across where I am (gets worse as I move), It was working a few days ago perfectly, It works perfectly right after a factory reset but after a few minutes it teleports me all over the place settling me at the wrong spot.
Here is everything I have tried but with no success.
Factory reset, Reset a-gps data in the program gps status, I made sure mock locations are off, Recalibrated my compass (inside and outside).
Please help ;_;

I have a question. isn't buying a paid VPN just as risky to use as a free VPN because you are using your credit card to buy that VPN? so they have all your info and can give more about you than the normal free VPN?

Trying to make a bootable Parabola USB, but I don't know what command to do. The wiki guide says:
# dd bs=4M if=/home/Your-Username/downloads/parabola-2013.09.01-dual.iso of=/dev/sdx && sync
But apparently the dd command is a risky one and I don't want to fuck up.
The instructions lost me at

wut do I do lol. Will provide more info if requested.

Firefox is my favorite browser but it's become a resource hogging piece of shit.

Can anyone recommend a good fork?

I think Palemoon is the only fork that's significantly less resource hogging.

Anyone know what software this is?

Your storage devices are named /dev/sda, /dev/sdb etc. The partitions on those devices are /dev/sda1,/dev/sda2 etc.

You need to make sure you have the right device. Easiest way is to ls /dev and see which devices exist, and then insert the USB, ls /dev again, and see which new device got added.

You need to specify the device itself and not a partition on it, hence /dev/sdx instead of /dev/sdx1

nvm i figured it out

its a android emulator called genymotion

Free VPNs have to make money somehow. Easiest way is to sell your data. Either that, or the VPN is a honeypot of sorts. The paid VPN has motivation not to sell your info, because that's what customers pay for.

Additionally, it costs money to host in a country where data protection laws are strong. Free VPNs can't afford this. Paid VPNs can. Good luck finding a free VPN with a good privacy policy hosted in a country where the gubmint can't get all the data

i just reinstalled windows 7 and would like to know, should i get windows 10? I dont have anything to lose except a lot of time (just updating to the point this is an option will take two fucking days because windows shit update center). I want advice from users, and i really value userfriendliness (for ive been hopping distros and im fucking tired of it), is it easier to use than windows 7? will i be tearing my hair out and whatnot? Also that ugly fucking ui, is there a fix for that too? I dont benefit from dx12 either because my gpu doesnt support i

Thanks. I found out the correct one, but I ran into another problem.

I'm using this command, which should be 100% correct:

but I'm receiving:

I never put a password or encrypted my home folder, so I don't know what's going on. Tried looking up old forum posts too, but they didn't help.

Man, I'm stupid.

Stick with 7. It's much easier to de-botnet and de-bloat. I think something called the aegis script disables the shady spyware.

It is a permissions issue. First run dd as Sudo if that doesn't fix it. I would suggest running Sudo chown -Rh $username /home/user/downloads. This will ensure that permissions are correct. After that re-run your previous command it should now work.

What did I miss?

Replace user with your username

Sorry im just now reading the string that just seemed a strange name

T-that is my username.

FOUR HOURS LATER AND ITS STILL ONLY JUST LOOKING FOR THE UPDATES JESUS CHRIST

I had the same issue. They make it very very hard now for you to update on windows 7. There's an offline update tool for windows 7 with all of the packages. I don't remember the website, it was in German, but that's what I eventually had to use.

Please help

Do you mean the convience rollup that requires that you apply a hotfix first then get the rollup from the Catalog?
Mabye there was a his firmware update released?

What's the best freedom respecting browser?

emacs

alternatively use icecat (GNU version of Firefox)

Trying to decide on a GPU. 1080 is off the table because I'm, not spending 500+ on a card.

Leaning towards a used 980, or a 1070/60 since it looks like the R9 is disappointing.

Which would be the smarter purchase to match my specs? Pic related.

I beg of thee Holla Forums, help me before I go full chimpout over the head of this.
For some reason I can't access my external HDD outside of Safe Mode. When I try to access it normally, it'll show me the error message "D:/ is not accessible, access is denied."
So I changed the security settings, set myself as the owner, set the sharing options to allow everyone to use it, and it still won't fucking work.
What's even more odd is that in regular ass explorer, I can't view the data allocation, yet when I view the properties in Disk Management, all of a sudden I can, yet I still can't open the drive itself.
Whenever I go into the drive in Safe Mode, all the folders have padlocks on them in the root.
I've been googling this shit for the past few hours and fucking nothing has worked.

Check your UNIX privilege. New HDDs are usually formated in NTFS or fat32. Those are formats for Windows, so they don't keep unixlike privilege. You should mount external hdds as root or with sudo. The alternative is to backup your data and reformat the external HDD to ext2 (you don't need ext4). You can only access ext2 on Windows with the drivers installed, so be aware if you still use windows.

I hope you understood a word of what I was trying to tell here.

But user I'm on windows 7 as it is
please no bully

Hey Holla Forums, what's the best way to allow NTFS r+w in OS X? Do I really need to buy software for that?

My brother is getting his first computer and I'm making sure he's installing windows 7 instead of 10 (it's for video games). What's the furthest updates that are safe to install for w7 from a clean install before you should disable updates to avoid the telemetry bullshit that was introduced in later updates?

Also interested in this.

Here's updates you need to remove if you do get a later edition of Windows 7 telemetry (reposted- combining various copypastes I took down. Some work for 8. And verify what they do before you delete them):

-----------------------------------------------

Copy the text in here:

pastebin.com/K8Ww4j8z

And paste it into Notepad and save it as a .bat file. It supposedly removes many of the privacy concerns surrounding recent Windows updates.

-----------------------------------------------

> kb3075249 - "…adds telemetry points…" (support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3075249)
> kb3080149 - "…Telemetry tracking service…" (support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080149)
> kb3068708 - "…Telemetry tracking service…" (support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3068708)
> kb2976978 - "…performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program…" (support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2976978)
> kb3021917 - "…Telemetry is sent back to Microsoft…" (support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3021917)
> kb3035583 - "…installs the Get Windows 10 app…" (support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583)
> kb2952664 - "…ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows…" (support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664)
> kb3068708 - support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3068708

-------------------------------------------------------------

Another user's post (VERIFY):

Don't forget to block the update from then on AND turn off any downloads ("only with permission" means nothing) AND check those updates are actually removed and don't come back.

I cleaned the old thermal paste with 99.8% iso, i will try replacing the fan and heatsink when i get some money.
I noticed that the cpu downclocks itself to 1.1/1.8GHz at 40/50°C when using the battery or connected

How to tell xfce4 to open a window (zathura) with a predefined size and in a predefined place?

thanks fam now its working perfectly

Alright, I finally made a bootable .iso image for Parabola.

I'm following this guide:
libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/encrypted_parabola.html

Am I supposed to install libreboot first before doing a fully encrypted install of Parabola? Or can I just follow this guide and install libreboot afterwards?

You can't follow the guide to the end without Libreboot. You can probably follow the initial part without libreboot, but installing libreboot first is better from a paranoia perspective.

My thoughts as well. Thanks, guess I'll do the initial libreboot install on Plebian.

what's a good android rooting software?

windows longhorn.
no less, no more.
snappy as windows XP unless you plan on installing service pack bloatware.

I need a good disk imager for burning Ubonto on a USB. I have Win32 but that's not working and I heard it has malware. Help please

I can't do anything right, Holla Forums. Every time I touch technology, everything goes wrong. Even when I follow step-by-step instructions, there's an issue every step of the way, then an issue that prevents me from solving an issue, and another issue to that issue's issue.

Why even bother trying anymore? I should just switch to Windows 10 like a good and stupid pleb.

work through the pain

What switches are these and where can I buy replacements?

so i just got a motog4 plus, and i cant watch anything in 60fps on youtube. i know its not the application (default youtube app) because the version on the this phone is the same version as the one on my old phone, and i can watch 720p60fps on the old phone. i know its not the resolution, because i can watch 1080p 30fps videos on youtube.

i have heard that youtube has somekind of whitelist for phones to access 60fps video. im thinking that that is why i cant watch hd videos. how do i circumvent this?

it happens to everybody. go rub one out like the teenager you are and relax, then try again. if you've been working on something all day, stop and try again tomorrow. it will be a lot easier in the morning.

I bought a T430 with a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro I'm having trouble updating it. The windows update just gets stuck on "Checking for Updates..." and nothing happens no matter how long I wait. Anyone have any ideas why it's doing this or know how to fix it?

Is there an I2P guide for retards? I've port forwarded my UDP port, UPnP is enabled, I'm using default I2P settings, but I still get zero peers. Am I missing something here? According to the error log it is unable to build tunnels. I don't have a firewall that would restrict that either.

7/12/16 11:36:17 PM ERROR [ HTTPS Proxy] .i2ptunnel.I2PTunnelClientBase: Unable to build tunnels for the client, retrying in 20 seconds net.i2p.client.I2PSessionException: [GOTDATE shared clients #21547]: Failed to build tunnels at net.i2p.client.impl.I2PSessionImpl.connect(I2PSessionImpl.java:712) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.I2PTunnelClientBase.connectManager(I2PTunnelClientBase.java:459) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.I2PTunnelClientBase.verifySocketManager(I2PTunnelClientBase.java:240) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.I2PTunnelClientBase.startRunning(I2PTunnelClientBase.java:525) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.I2PTunnelConnectClient.startRunning(I2PTunnelConnectClient.java:126) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.I2PTunnel.runConnectClient(I2PTunnel.java:1040) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.TunnelController.startConnectClient(TunnelController.java:333) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.TunnelController.doStartTunnel(TunnelController.java:289) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.TunnelController.startTunnel(TunnelController.java:242) at net.i2p.i2ptunnel.TunnelController$1.run(TunnelController.java:222) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) at net.i2p.util.I2PThread.run(I2PThread.java:103) Caused by: java.io.IOException: No tunnels built after waiting 5 minutes. Your network connection may be down, or there is severe network congestion. at net.i2p.client.impl.I2PSessionImpl.connect(I2PSessionImpl.java:670) ... 11 more

Let's get this over with
A fresh install of Windows 7 will take eons checking for updates, but I'm sure you can download certain key updates manually off of Microsoft's site to offset the shear size of them.

Solved. I had to reseed after starting I2P, it just took a long ass time. It does say I'm firewalled though, which I don't think is right, but hey, it works.

What programming language would be best for a multi-website image crawler? And how long does it take to learn this programming language?

golang

I have Kodi/XBMC setup on a RPi2, and it accesses my media through SMB shares I have setup on my PC and HomeSeedbox.I separate my anime from normal TV shows using video nodes.

As I can't rename the anime torrent files while continuing to seed them, and it would be a pain to keep two copies, I want to be able to scan the downloaded Anime files into my library without renaming them. The scanner won't pick them up with the default name though. PLEX

- Tried regex in advacedsettins.xml, didn't catch all of them

How to go about scanning default named anime files into Kodi library?

Ie;

Can someone please explain the content of this picture to me? I thought that checksuming would be a read only process. Easy 7zip's checksuming works as expected but it isn't as easy to post as I can't select the string and have to make it into a picture.

Hey Holla Forums I wanted to thank you again for always helping me.

I have a new one, it borderlines on and is technically Holla Forumssupport but its kinda like a strange yet very easy favor I need to ask of you.

Basically I finally ripped out windows10 evil OS out of one of my other computers back at my cousins house and got debian on it. we sucessfully used the jessie backports in the sources.list file to be able to update 0ad, minetest, and actually got endless sky installed, that one doesn't even show up in the stable repositories.

the problem is that we can't or don't know how to update that computers drivers to OpenGL 3.0

when we try to open endless sky it says "endless sky requires OpenGL 3.0 or higher. your OpenGL is version 2.1 mesa, please update your graphics drivers"

that seems too complicated for us and our knowledge of debian or even linux, so we are totally lost there, and are afraid as scoobydoo of screwing up our graphics and having an even worse problem that we really can't fix.

as for the game's website:
(can't access google sites anyway)
groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=forum/endless-sky#!forum/endless-sky
endless-sky.github.io/
github.com/endless-sky/endless-sky/issues

we don't have any way of contacting the devs or makers of the game and suggesting, well really begging them to make a version of the game or a setting for the game that allows it to run worse graphics so that people with lower end equipement can still enjoy it. I don't see any way of contacting them, so If anyone on Holla Forums could ask them this, that would be so cool. I don't need a reply from them, I just want them to get the info. there's a few other anons on the internet sad about the same thing.

for a game so severely far away from completion, it's really fun. although it's totally full of strange bugs, like events completely not showing up.

but when they fix that it will be better...

anyways, I've rambled on long enough. save me ob/tech/iwan you're my only tech support.

Is SoundBoard a meme?

I have a onboard realtek alc892. Does a External SoundBoard Xonar U7 increase the quality of sound?

My speakers are MicroLabs B-77.

what is this thing, and what does it do?

can I buy an external graphics card and run turbo games on my toaster?

hue, Sorry for typo. It's a soundcard and not soundboard.

AT&T Assembly

Update mesa to version 12 with backports. The package name has the gpu added to mesa, like mesa-intel-dri or mesa-nouveau-dri.

Unetbootin

You need to be a bit more precise. What is your phone model?
Usually you need Android SDK on your computer, unlock the bootloader of your phone first and replace your recovery image of your phone. Then you can decide if you want to use a custom rom that has implemented root like cyanogenmod or if you'd like to use proprietary software like supersu to root your exisiting rom.

OH SHIT NIGGA, DID I FUCK UP MY INSTALL?

I still haven't done the second flash. Damn comrade Stallman fucked my laptop, didn't he?

Was running Trisquel.

follow-up pic

Halp

Yesterday I was out on a drive playing Pokemon GO and I hadn't previously used it outside. Prior to that I'd been playing it on a locked phone via wifi. I unlocked the phone and when I went to sign in via google it demanded I get a verification number, which I did, and it let me sign in normally from then on. For the record, I'm in Texas and my phone company is T-Mobile. This'll come up in a second.

So today I go to sign in from my laptop and I'm informed that around 2:47pm a suspicious sign-in was blocked. Someone in L.A. had my password. It said they were also on an iPhone and using T-Mobile. When I went to look up the IP, it said it originated in Washington.

Now, for the record I have a crazy ex who at one point forced me to change all my passwords because she was trying to log into all my shit, but she lives across the state, not across the country.

I wouldn't put it passed her to try to log into my shit while on a cross-country trip, but she hasn't tried to mess with me in months.

Is there any way google could have fucked the IP and it's just *my* log-in being shown as if it came from the other side of the country? Thing is google claimed it blocked the log-in, but it let me right in once I put in the verification. So if it wasn't me, that raises two questions. Why did it show them as from Washington but in L.A., and if it wasn't my ex -who would have no real reason to be in either of those places, but I guess could have borrowed someone else's phone or some shit- who else would know about the one log-in that still used the password I was using at the time I was dating her which she knew?

And perhaps this will provide more information. I just want to finish this ordeal quickly and go to bed for my wageslave job tomorrow.

What does your crawler need to do?

I couldn't find mesa-intel-dri or mesa-nouveau-dri but I found many mesa packages that needed upgrading. I upgraded, but still get the same error.

Have you rebooted?

You need at least to leave xserver to run the updated mesa version or better just reboot it as mentioned by the other user. If the game is 32-bit you have to update the 32-bit package of mesa too.

FUCK FUCK FUCK NEVER EVER DO THIS, our computer is completely fucking destroyed, lost loads of savegames had to do a complete reinstall and now its a boring ass bare bones computer again. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apparently mesa has these wonderful hidden dependencies to the whole OS of debian! I'm flipping my shit like pancakes! fuck windows10 but wow linux

You can reinstall without losing your data, but it's probably too late for that now.

Best way to rip streams?

computer was completely fucking bricked. I was so blessed that I could even redo it.

kek, trips of frustration. Use backports only if necessary and just backup your stuff. You could easiely saved your distro and rolled back the update.

What kind of stream? Try using youtube-dl with the link or if you get the direct video link just save it.

Even then you could have kept the old partition with the old data and copied it to the new one.

Why does youtube-dl's windows exe not work even after I installed python 2.7.10

Double clicking the exe just briefly opens up a cmd that closes half a second later

youtube-dl is a programm that works in the cmd in windows and terminal in Linux. You open cmd and move the the folder where youtube-dl is located.

youtube-dl youtube.com/watch?v=VRCM0jWEQjQ
If you don't use flags it will automatically download the best resolution for the video.

then what's the point of that exe?

sorry it's very late where I am at the moment

Got youtube-dl to work but it can't seem to rip the video I wanted, guess I'll just have to screen capture.

Thanks and good night.

nope. the advice given to me without any warnings was legit system bricking...

Linux is such a piece of shit, I only use it because windows10 is pure evil.

windows and microsoft does everything wrong on purpose, and is evil.

linux has a million really stupid broken ways of doing everything wrong by accident.

This is the tech support thread, not whiny incompetent bitch thread.

Crawl 4chan threads, Holla Forums threads tumblr blogs and more at max res and not just thumbnails

is telegram secure enough to do illegal shit with it? I know that the developer isn't a jew so that's a plus for me.

Can someone tell me why intl is in charge of the installgentoo wiki?

thanks for warning me that it would destroy my computer asshole

Not our fault you can't follow instructions.

thank you, this exactly.

hey Holla Forums I need help de-flamooking my bapopeter.

Sure! let me help you with that. okay:
he he he I totally wont warn them about any potential things that may go wrong

OH FUCK MY COMPUTER EXPLODED AHHHH MY CAT IS DEAD OH SHIT WHY *dies*

jk

Anyone know if its possible to filter things like this out? Like maybe a bot or something? Any help would be just excellent.

So I have a dual boot setup for my computer one hard drive has Xubuntu and the other has wangblows.

every time I use the Xubuntu partition the clock on my wangblows partition goes out of sync. Any idea what's causing this? The clock on my Xubuntu partition is set correctly and doesn't seem to be affected by this.

You can probably do that with wget. It's far more powerful than most people know. This is a simple wget command to download all files in a Holla Forums thread:wget -e robots=off -r -nd -nc -I '*/src' -R '*.html' -H -- "$@"

Its a possibility but i'd change your passwords just to be on the safe side.

You didn't answer the question.

is passmark good to judge cpus/gpus?

make something that autohides posts that contain too many repeating characters or text emotes like ":3"

Click [Options], then Filters.

so i just got a motog4 plus, and i cant watch anything in 60fps on youtube. i know its not the application (default youtube app) because the version on the this phone is the same version as the one on my old phone, and i can watch 720p60fps on the old phone. i know its not the resolution, because i can watch 1080p 30fps videos on youtube.

i have heard that youtube has somekind of whitelist for phones to access 60fps video. im thinking that that is why i cant watch hd videos. how do i circumvent this?

ive found a stopgap by installing f droid and getting some semi-free youtube apps, but all of them lack the functionality of the real youtube app.

What actually happened? You don't exactly brick a PC.

He asked how to get GL3, someone told him to update mesa and he did and apparently encountered a bug or possibly only updated half the the gorillion packages required and was unable to get a graphical environment which he interpreted as the computer being bricked.

Help, it says this every time I try to use sudo or install something

pendrivelinux.com/how-to-add-a-user-to-the-sudoers-list/

What a good program for making music in linux? I just want to make some simple game music.

Try LMMS.

Reported to >>>/sudo/

Using Xubuntu 16.04.

Why the fuck is apache on?

"apache" isn't installed. I uninstalled "apache2". What the fuck is going on?

had to reinstall. no recovery program did a thing. destroyed it totally.

I want to root my s4 without the use a computer. Suggestions?

You could have opened a TTY (ctrl+alt+F1-6) to try to fix it, or at least backed up your files with a liveUSB. If you think you might lose data, maybe you should ask for help first.

wew

How do I use wget? I want the webpage to function like it does offline. I tried wget -p but it doesn't save right.

Also, how do I wget and save all the images in a folder?

What does /g/ think of the Dell Latitude 6420. If anyone if familiar with the 64X0 series they basically have a similar business quality laptop history as the Lenovo/IBM T4X0 series. One of the things I love about the latitudes is the fact that all of hardware is extremely accessible, something that I would say is less true about the Lenovos (accessible, but not without quite a bit more screws)

The Thinkpad competing with the E6420 would be the T420. Both of them can be configured with the same array of hardware basically. The E6420 typically runs at higher temps due to its beast of a case (which outdoes even The T4X0 series in terms of durability) but the T420 has that amazing keyboard!

I'm basically hoping to buy an E6420 for as cheap as possible and them pop the back and swap out wifi card, cpu, ram, etc, whatever I want to. But is the T420 also capable of this? Never owned one. Just hoping to cover all of my bases before I make the jump. Thanks!

Gonna have a Windows installation on a harddrive for just vidya. Should I go for 7 or SP?

I assume you mean XP istead of SP?
7 all the way.
I have a custom setup of Windows 7 Pro .iso specifically just for games located at mega.co.nz/#F!Q5xihZoZ!tqF7GCDJhhrmWJO7Pfc3gg . It is based off of a .iso that matches the sha1sum for X17-59186.iso, Pro x64 and I used RT7Lite to modify it. A unmodified version of X17-59186.iso along with a more modern sha256sum can be found here mega.nz/#F!B40TUDIJ!SYXTClz6K5Puz48IKQ-nrQ, along with an activation tool.

Yeah, was a typo, sorry.

I figured 7, but I have about a million cracks of XP and was wondering if I should bother using it for a gaming rig; shit is getting phased out and it seemed more trouble than a solid 7 installation. Thanks for the links and head's up, I'll definitely be taking a look.

Is the FX-4350 a true quad core? I heard that it's not. For gaming performance and nothing else, would I actually see a benefit from a 6300/50 or 8300/50 instead?

So far i've been using wget to expand my porn folder to incredible sizes but its only limited to Holla Forums, i'm stuck at using wget on 4chan because it keeps downloading the thumbnails.

Whats the best way to suspend X on (k)ubuntu so i can do X -config?

I've tried service sddm stop by internet recommendation but it left my monitor blank.

I'm trying to set up open ati driver so the fans dont run full speed all the time. xorg.conf.d doesn't exist yet.

Would an FX 8350 and GTX 960 bottleneck, or am I good?

"Other troubles" category problem here.

There's this gril who is into technology. The problems is that she has terrible social anxiety, IRL at least. She'd like to meet up but can't because of her mental condition. Should I forget about it for now and stay internet friends?

Can't you remove the thumbnails later? Or you could try to exclude that thumbs directory from downloads.

Not technology, also not female.

I had an issue with Holla Forums recently where the seekbar on webms stopped working. It would count and I could go back and forward respectively, but only up to the time that I watched the webm for. This only happens on 8ch and I am using 8chx. Does anyone have a reason to why this is, or even how I can fix it?

Is 650w enough for overclocking a 1080 or would 750w be better? Not going to pay for wattage I don't need.

Holla Forums I need recommendations for an FTP client server. I don't want a paid solution and it appears that FileZilla is now bundled with adware. Any suggestions?

What?

I need an FTP solution, both the client and server software. I suppose some programs are developed in such a way that the client and server options are integrated into a single program, but not all of them are like that. The aforementioned FileZilla has a client executable and a server executable that you must install separately. Or at least it used to.

Anyway, suggestions? I won't use FileZilla again, I just tried one of their installers and it comes with third party software.

Did you get it from their site or form Sourceforge?

Their site redirects to Sourceforge. So if they're knowingly partnered with a website that peddles adware, then how can I trust any of their installers or standalone zip packages? I won't.

platform?

wangblows

sentex.net/~mwandel/ftpdmin/
I found this thing, if anyone is also interested in finding a free FTP solution. It's a simple program written by one guy that automatically sets up a server protocol on your desktop. No fancy GUI, run from command line, and is devoid of any sort of features a suite would provide. No security options, no encryption. It's not meant to be used as a replacement for an FTP server program, but rather a temporary solution for quick file transfers over a personal (and hopefully secure) LAN. Can also use it to transfer files between wangblows and linux supposedly.

Still interested in any alternatives to FileZilla if you can find them

What's the right command to add to youtube-dl when starting it in the terminal to tell it to just keep on going when it reaches a link that isn't good?

-i

Hey thanks so much! I even searched in
man youtube-dl in the terminal, searched the whole thing

So why not just use netcat?

In youtube-dl is -o even necessary? I looked at it's description in man youtube-dl and didn't understand it. what are the benefits? will something bad happen if I don't use it?

Nothing bad happens if you don't use it. The name is automatically selected for you

thanks user

strangest thing happens to me, with -o alot of the links just appear as broken and nothing works, but with -o SOME of the links work.

youtube-dl wants me to update but I'm using the latest version.

Only issue I've had when omitting -o is when the automatically selected name was too long.

Do you mean you're using the latest upstream version (i.e. from github) or the latest in your distro's repo?

distro repo

Might as well update to the github version if your repo one is out of date

Can an FX-8320 and FX-8350 reach the same speeds when overclocked? Is the only difference really what they're set to before you overclock them?

Anyone got that DDG infographic that shoes it still tracks you and shit?

Is the Samsung 850 Pro SSD still faster than the Samsung 850 Evo SSD in M.2?

bumping cuz I still haven't found anything online yet.

I have experience with setting up virtual servers using many distros (as a guest) but does anybody have recommendations for a distro that makes it nice from the host side? And secure?

This would be with a small Xeon server

I'm not even sure if I formatted this question well but basically I'm wondering if there is some really nice distro for running Xen or KVM

Is the answer just going to be Debian?

Note that it doesn't prove anything.

8ch.net/tech/ddg.html

I'm being forced to program on a Windows machine by someone that clearly hates happiness. The program doesn't seem to matter to the boss as long as your part compiles, but he doesn't want us fucking with the operating systems since we have to use Outlook in the office to communicate. What's the "best" coding program to use on wangblows? Notepad is a bit unwieldy for the scope of the project, and the Code::Blocks I came into this with sucks ass. kill me

Emacs, if you're into that. It even comes with a Unixish shell.

But if you don't know how to use it yet this is probably not the right time to learn it. If you're fine with a text editor without IDE features, try Notepad++.

Hey Holla Forums, what's the easiest way to generate static HTML pages on Windows?

Think a 480 would be enough for my 1440p monitor?

I'm tired of integrated graphics ) =

I run a 290 with a 8320 OC` d to 4.5 on a 2560x1440 and use VSR to run at 3200x1800 at get decent frames (40`s, more depending on the game obviously). The most stressful games was Back Ops 3, which blue screened, probably my OC wasn't fully stabled. Getting off my tagent, a 480 is very likely to be way overkill for 1440, a 290/390 would be more than enough but they won't be as efficent though.
Seconding notepad ++. I don't code at all but it is the best editor for Windows. Sometimes it is a good idea to use the tool without the influence of any developer related drama. Personally I consider Geany to be the GNU/Linux version in all but name.
Creating the .html files in a text editor. Again I would suggest notepad ++.
Alpine Linux seems to be the common one for that use case.
Have you tried tty`ng to tty 7 then ctrl c ( to manually kill the process) then doing your work and then starting another display environment session?
Short no, because of the CPU bining process.

that's some new age replying there

yeah i've tried tty, but killing sddm leaves me with a blank black display that I can't do anything with. I'm going to try booting without x and see what I get.

also thanks for replying.

I need a Virtual Machine to emulate an old game

Should I get VMware Workstation, or is there any other VM program?

Which game, which emulated operating system, and which host operating system?

Using Windows 7 x64. I want it for old games or programs which cant use.

Make sure you try running them in compatibility mode first.

I recommend Virtualbox as a virtual machine.

is this good ? tails.boum.org/

Yes, if you use it correctly.
tails.boum.org/doc/about/warning/index.en.html

Seconding virtualbox.

How do I open this file?
mediafire.com/?1o0eb75sppxv76c

what is it supposed to be?

ALRIGHT, SO I HAVE THIS SHITTY ASS ZTE Z828 PHONE.

IT'S AN ANDROID PHONE AND I HAVE THIS PROBLEM, SEE?

MY PROBLEM IS THAT I WAS USING THE MEGA.CO.NZ APP THE OTHER DAY AND ALL WAS RIGHT IN THE LANDS...

THEN TODAY IT DECIDES IT CANNOT DO ANYTHING ANYMORE.

AT FIRST IT WOULD JUST GET STUCK ON PREPARING MY DOWNLOAD.

NOW IT SIMPLY JUST GIVES ME A NETWORK ERROR.

PLEASE, Holla ForumsNOPHILES... I BEG YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

UPDATE; now I can't even access the website over Chrome?

Have you tried turning your phone off and back on?

Have you tried reinstalling the app?

Fuck.

I have restarted the phone many times. I have also deleted the app data, cache, etc. Then rebooted it and no luck with anything. I can't even find anything online about this and the website itself isn't down.

I think my ISP is being a bunch of cocksuckers because I can't even access it now on my own browser.

OK, so, now it's allowing me to view it in the browser and on the app.

Still unable to download though.

Basically it sits here under my phone's status bar saying, "Preparing files," and when I touch the notification to see active file transfers. There are none whatsoever, and it's makin' me want to call my ISP and call 'em a bunch of faggot ass cocksuckin' cockmonglers

I take back my statement. I think my phone is just a piece of shit.

It's downloading to my fuckin' Internal Memory but not my External.

It's supposed to be a game's data. It's a japanese game, so it might explain the weird .kar extension.

what game?
a tool called noesis might be able to open it. you might have to hunt for it though, the dev did the dead and his page shut down. the last version i downloaded is appended v41

c21 Steel Battle Chronicles. Please don't judge.

Thanks, I'll try to find it.

Other than memes

Any reason why I shouldn't get W10?

It's fine, I'm guilty of worse. What kind assets are you trying to get out of it?

Even more terrible for your privacy than the previous editions. I don't know if you consider that a meme.

There are some weird bugs. My friend's touchpad doesn't work and middle mouse button acts as a windows key since he switched.

Ads in your start menu and in Solitaire.

Why do you want to get it?

I wish I could have access to all the data, but at least the models and textures.

Because it's an 'upgrade'.

Guess I'll stick with my W8.1

If nothing else works I usually resort to using ninja ripper. It hooks into the Direct X libraries and rips every geometry, texture, and shader from the whole scene. It can't capture bones or vertex weights though.
cgig.ru/ninjaripper/

>devs want to make it pay2play
>ads
>worst resource hog yet
>deprecated graphics api
>streaming to dev spies 24/7
>"it uh upgrade lol"

he said other than memes, you autist

Thanks so much, I'll try this out.

Alright Holla Forums,

So I've been sick of Skype for a long time now, it's a buggy piece of shit that takes up way more resources than it should when idle. And the straw to break the cammel's back, I've just found it trying to connect to some suspicious IPs. After looking into it I've found no reasonable answer as to why it should ever need to do this of course.

So I need an alternative, which is easy enough to find. Problem. All my shitty friends still use Skype. Is there any way I can have a non-botnet VoIP that I can still chat with my Skype friends on?

mumble, tox, jitsi

arecord | nc

If I can get 20% discount from iphone, any reason why I should get some android phone instead?

more freedoms*
possible to repair**
can play webm and uncucked media

* use f-droid, remove google services
** unlock bootloader, get a phone with screws and removable parts

what about jailbreaking?

and as a family member works at apple I can get it repaired for free on the day, or if it's not possible get a refurbished one the same day.

But as far as setting any of those clients up to work with Skype contacts?

i've heard bad things about jailbreaking. doesn't combine with repairing. but if it seems reasonable for you, go ahead.

bitlbee* :p

* only for text chat

pretty sure if you need a repair you can just do a factory reset, removing all traces of jailbreak.

Then again I stopped paying attention back in 3gs days.

My mic dont work i really dont know how to fix it when i add dB on it it instead make louder my headphones. I have desk microphone and headphones separated. What should i do?

Where do I check for working onion links for Holla Forums?

how are you going to reset it if it gets broken? ;)

As long as at a minium the power and volume buttons (also the battery obviously, the stock Android menu hasn't changed much between versions I belive) are still inact the recovery menu will allow you to reformat which is mostly accessed via the power button and voume down. It depends on the model as I don't belive that there is a standard for access. Also if I may be pandantic, it is called Rooting as Android is built on top of a modified Kernel version. Unfortunately the version can be old ( at least easily visable, some OEM`s apply fixes without bumping the release number).

Also to add on to this.
Use a ROM like Cayongen (with free Cayongen) or the full libre Rrplicant. Cayongen has way more support but it still allows for none free blobs to be used.
To be fair simple things like the battery can be easily replaced by the end user on an Iphone as I have seen videos on youtube and witnessed a none technically inclined family member replace the battery on a Iphone 6. Also there is the ADB (Android Dedug Bridge) and the recovery menu.

I'm building a new PC for muh gaymen and want to bite the bullet and install win 10 as a secondary OS only for games alongside gentoo because of the directx 12 meme.
Is there a Holla Forums approved spyware removal guide/toolkit/whatever?

Forget it, win7 it is.

Are there any FOSS non-botnet android apps out there that help me track my device and lock it in case Tyrone steals it/I lose it?

I have a 19-inch LCD Westinghouse monitor that I got a long time ago. It had bad capacitors, and I didn't know shit about soldering at the time, so a friend of mine swapped them out. It lasted for about 2-3 years, but has died again, in a similar way. Upon plugging it in, there's a high-pitched sound which rises in tone, the back-light flickers, and the power turns on and off. The way the screen flickers and fades in/out, it's as if it's receiving insufficient power before ultimately dying.

I opened it up and found two bulging capacitors, as well as some slight burn marks around them. I went to buy some replacements, (unfortunately, they didn't have any small enough that would fit, so they had to be wired) and the guy there advised me that I'd also need to re-set one of the joints, which had risen off of the board. Upon getting home and doing so, as well as replacing the capacitors, it seems that nothing is fixed, and it still presents the same symptoms.

However, I have found that by unplugging the back-light power cable from the power board, it stays on just fine. There's still a high-pitched rising noise upon being plugged in, but it's not the obnoxious, inconsistent squealing of before. It could even be a normal capacitor sound. None of the other symptoms persist, but I still don't have a back-light, which means I can't do shit.

Any idea of what I could try next?

Just like said, removing Win10 spyware crap is useless since it keeps working anyway no matter how hard you try.

will emulating windows (with VM/virtualbox or whatever) allow me to reach approximately the same level of performance as if i had installed it natively?
I have a nvidia GPU but I was worried about claims of shitty open-source drivers on linux, so I was thinking running games in WINE might not be a good option
also looking for tips on selecting a motherboard

actually, is it possible to install proprietary drivers on linux?
I assumed it wasn't, but actually I'm not sure. Ideally I'd just like to be able to play games in WINE without a significant performance loss.

sure you can
im playing games such as age of empire 2 and stalker on wine with my proprietary nvidia driver just fine

alternatively you could set up a dual boot system, so that you can have windows for your gaymes

What's wrong with using Chrome? I don't necessarily have to trust Google to use it.

any reason not to buy a 1070 if I just want to use windows 7 and linux?

Welp, noticing that one of my capacitors was loose, I resoldered it. Upon turning it on, one of the chips produced a strong-smelling smoke and now has a slight crack and bulge in it. It's fucked, isn't it?

onion url for Holla Forums, please.

can't remember the last time Holla Forums didn't have onion problems

you're better off finding an imageboard that is exclusive to the tor network

alternatively, oniichanylo2tsi4.onion/

if you're full goon freech2xxhhaxiul.onion/

I'm in a bit of a pickle here my PC is freezing and shutting off and won't turn back on until i jiggle the 24 pin power supply cable not sure if cpu/Mobo or power supply how do I diagnose? No spare parts sadly

Less than two weeks left before the free upgrade period ends for Windows 10, has it been unfucked yet? On one hand the boost in performance is really nice, but on the other hand it's still probably loaded to the brim with NSA tier spyware garbage.

How fucked is my shit?

about 200

I busted my headphone jack and am trying to retask another jack to work as a headphone jack, I'm able to retask all the different ports but only to certain things

line in>side speaker out
S/PDIF> rear speaker out
Mic in> Center/Subwoofer

I can hear audio through my headphones when these are retasked but only when those specified speakers are used and they seem to not be able to act as just headphones. Any thoughts?

Anything that has 2g of Ram so you can play Pokemon Goy.

I'm trying to find a datasheet for a Xeon x5677, unfortunately it seems like Intel has removed working links for their older cpus.

ark.intel.com/products/47929/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5677-12M-Cache-3_46-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

If you go there and click the link for datasheet it takes you to this page which doesn't seem to have what I want.

www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/homepage.html

Anybody know where to find the datasheets for older cpus? I hate when companies update their sites and end up destroying info on older products

Specifically looking for pinouts or information on the landings for x5677

What is your soundcard or chipset associated with sound?

What OS?

I have a sound blaster x-fi mb3 and im using realtek to try to change to ports

im on windows 10

You have good taste, although a BBB would be more Holla Forums approved, your animu selection is flawless

I don't have an answer but since the files cannot be renamed and you don't want to maintain copies, and the default names cannot be located during a scan... wew! Is it possible to maintain an alias that redirects or have some kind of reference file to keep track of things? I don't use Kodi so I don't have a good answer for you. Do they have a user group or forum, can you contact the developers of Kodi and ask for advice. Check the Kodi help files if available.

I keep seeing setups in that show GNU/Linux as a host OS with Windows in a VM on another monitor that has access to the graphics card. What kind of hardware would I need to be able to do this? How do I pull off the setup if I have the hardware?

How do I make an anonymous phone call to a suicide hotline? I know I can just use the "*67" prefix in front of the actual number but I have possible homicidal urges against someone else mixed in with the suicidal ones and don't want my information tracked in case they decide to send a squad car to my house, which they probably will if I choose to disclose the former bit of information. I have an iPhone 6 so I'm sure that even if I turn off my location settings and other things like that then there will still be a way for them to trace it, but I suppose that something is better than nothing so I'll just take what I can get at this point.

Get on some random wifi and make a skype call?

Also, don't do anything drastic, I've been there and things tend to settle out again if you just give it time.

That could work if not for skype being owned by mircosoft. So if I may tweak your idea a bit, there are some free VOIP's that you can use instead of skype. From a quick privatelee search.
voip-info.org/wiki/view/Free VoIP Networks
voipwise.com/dashboard
Agreed. Sometimes though there isn't time able to be given.

It's always going to come down to do the local agencies have enough capability to track. For some suicidal dude with some normal problems it's not going to go full NSA

Going to try to install Gentoo. Should I get the multilib or the other one?

mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/gentoo//releases/amd64/20160514/

You don't. You suck it up Buttercup.

Don't like that advice? What you need is to unfuck yourself. There, you got what you needed, you don't need to call anymore.

Chemicals in your braincase user, get plenty of rest and take a break, and spend some time appreciating nature. Eat healthy. Do this for a few weeks at least. Stop hanging out with your loser social circle and stop being an attention whore, your going to make it, no matter what your situation is. Even if your are completely fucked over, you need to get some Zen/Stoic philisophy and move forward based on logic and not emotions / chemical imbalances.

And for a technical answer: buy a pre-paid minutes sim card via cash and use a cheap phone for this use only. You can have your location triangulayed so don't call from home on a cell network numbnutz. Your voice is going to be recorded and go into a database, consider using a voice modulator, even a simple kids toy. If you live long enough to put all of this together and do it correctly then you will have probably moved beyond whatever issue you had in the first place.

What the fuck is happeni

Dang, is that really it? Fucking Microshaft and their proprietary bullshit.

Is it possible to reencode x264 to x265 to reduce file size? Or is the original bluray needed?

I want to run the command 'mpv youtube.com/watch[...]' every time I click a youtube link.

What's the easiest way to achieve this functionality?

What are non-cucked alternatives for (((Skype)))?
Hangouts is shit.
Mumble is sort of tolerable, but they don't seem to have a proper Android client.

you create your own youtube browser
you handle search queries via the official google search API and get search results and thumbnails and all that from it
you display the info with your gui engine of choice together with generated onclick events that fire the shell command

but if you want just any link to do that, write an extension for whatever browser you are using with whatever api that enables you to execute shell commands outside of the browser sandbox

Hey. I have a weird problem with my phone. My sim cards like stop working every 2 min or so and shows me 'only emergency call'

Isn't there a way to rename files in a torrent on your end while keeping the hash the same so they can continue to be seeded?
Otherwise, would something like this work? ln "/torrent/dir/file" "/library/dir/preferred_name" Technically this doesn't create 2 copies of the file because it's just a file link. You can continue seeding the original file while having the file name you prefer for your library.

pass the -s switch to create a symbolic link

Please help Holla Forums. My brother just got a laptop that has windows 10 preinstalled and he said that trying to use a windows 7 disc install is being prevented by something like "windows 10 home cannot be upgraded to windows 7 home premium". How do you get rid of windows 10 and install 7 in this situation?

DBAN, then win7 disc

possible in elinks with url triggers, probably in emacs too

(cont.)
here

function follow_url_hook (url) if url:find('^https?://.*youtube%.com/watch%?v=...') or url:find('^https?://youtu%.be/...') then os.execute("mpv " .. url) return nil -- don't go to page in browserend

I have about 2terabytes of hdd to fill. What should I download (preferably torrents and legal)

porn

I just acquired a Mikrotic CRS-109, but I'm a scrub who didn't expect it to be as complex as it is to use.

I'm trying to make my TP-link with gargoyle to connect to it and serve as a bridge to my lexusbox. I don't even know where to start. Simply making the tplink connect to it as a bridge or repeater connects but fails to assign a correct IP, and no internet traffic goes through. I set the gateway in the tplink as the mikrotic gateway, and the bridge IP as one within the lease range of the mikrotic DHCP. I also turned off the DHCP on my TPlink.

What did I miss? Why is it not working?

where can i find a legit download of windows 8.1 or windows 8? the official download tool shits the bed and digital river has been thrown down the shitter

reposing cause i posted it in the wrong thread at first

youtube-dl -i -w --no-warnings -f mp4 -o "/home/user/Desktop/folder on my desktop/another folder inside that one/%(title)s.%(ext)s" --batch-file=/home/user/Desktop/folder on my desktop/my batch file.txt

this is what I used.

without -o it was dumping them in my home

with -o it claims to have went to the right place, yet nothing is in that folder.

I tried again, but it says I already did that, so it wont repeat, it just skips the youtube link.

Very strangely enough, a massive system wide search shows the video exactly in that folder, but I can not view it by going to the folder as it doesn't exist there. the video plays and everything, NOW I suddenly just realized that youtube-dl keeps creating a copy of the destination folder on the desktop and depositing it in there, but it's creating a copy of an old destination folder that doesn't exist anymore, with a copy of the current destination folder inside of it.

what is going on? how can I stop this?

Help me tech i really dont know what is going on google isnt helping. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all my sound drivers after failed attempts to make my microphone work. I have tried everything what i could my mic to make work. On my friends notebook it registred all sounds. Problem is on my mother notebook and my PC it just dont work. I really dont know what is happening if can anoyne help me with this i would really appreciate it.

so got the "bandwidth exceeded plz reg" bullshit from mega. halp.

May soon switch from Mac to Windows (Before you even mention Linux, sorry, it's not an option - I'm one of those people who *has* to run Microsoft Office for professional reasons. And no, OpenOffice/LibreOffice won't cut it).

There's a handful of Mac apps I'll miss. One is TextWrangler, the insanely useful, free text editor from the people who brought you BBEdit. Does anyone know of a Windows text editor that's just as good, and, hopefully, just as free?

Keep in mind I don't really do any programming; I mostly just use it for writing blog posts and other light writing tasks for which MS Word would be massive overkill.

Notepad ++ is the best text editor free and libre editor for Windows.
A couple of options: A) Wait for the bandwith to go down, B) get a new IP by rebooting your modem( or the modem/router combo) or C) post those links and I`l download then upload somewhere for you.

I am trying Whonix in VirtualBox, when I try to access the Internet it says server not found.

Help.

i once jerked off to loli, now i have moved on to better things

Ok guys, I just updated to Mint 18. It works, I'm just setting stuff up.

This is the driver panel. I don't know much about Linux or programming in general, I just use it cause it's better than Windows.

I don't know whether I should turn this driver on.

Does anybody have any clue? I don't even know what it is. Is it a CPU driver?

Last time I tried to use an official driver (nvidia) it fucked my screen up and I had to reinstall Linux.

Thanks

source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode

source: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/microcode

I shut down all updates some time ago because of Windows 10 and other reasons. Would any of you know if there is a list of Windows 7 core security patches that I could selectively install. Microsoft is not too descriptive about their updates.

Thanks

Hard to say without more info. I'm assuming you've gone through the docs at virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html

Start > All Programs > Accessories > WordPad

nope, can you give me a td;lr of what to do?

RAID-1 will mirror the entire disks, including the partition table and partitions.

I don't think you want to do RAID-1 but rather some auto mirroring software. I think you would get into more headaches trying to setup a software raid like that.

tl;dr: learn virtualbox networking

Yeah, I don't want partition tables mirrored.

Someone on Serverfault mentioned using rsync and a cron script, but since I'm only trying to keep media and a few other things mirrored when I infrequently drop things in their folders, it seems like overkill to even bother with that.

a RAID system would be overkill
i use rsync for much more unimportant things

What should I use to root an android tablet?

TI don't want to download something that is trying to pass for that.

I have one and man, it has the coziest keyboard

Like I said earlier, it would be hard to say without taking a look. These issues are generally very specific.

In a 16GB SD card how much should I leave as ext2?

my internet werks in the other VMs, it's just Whonix where I have the problem.

Brand new pc I built, first time turning on, EVGA Supernova 650GS power supply
Help, please.

Holla Forums, can you recommend me a "serious" pentesting distro for my usb stick, which is not made by some 12 year olds?

Did codemonkey break something? Autoupdate doesn't work properly and the reply box doesn't get shown.

Is something wrong with Kali Linux? It just provides all tools for pentesting. It's not meant to run as normal distro for shitposting.

got a spare PSU to try out?

It depends on the model as some are supported by some rooting applications, that you install then hit a button, finally reboot and you are done.
Rooting applications.

Holla Forums fag here on windows 7 and has jewgle fiber. Can't for the fucking life of me get port-forwarding to work no matter how i try, anyone got any experience with this?

the router's ip is static, the machine that's hosting the forwarded ports is static ip, i'm using jewgle's dns servers i needed something free and relatively reliable, i've even tried plugging into their psuedo-modem/router combination satan box. No matter if i port forward there, or plug into the router, and port forward that through the satanbox, then port forward on the machine through there, the ports are filtered any time i check and nobody can connect to the servers i'm trying to host. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

silly question, is there an exception for the game in your software Firewall? Also I would suggest OpenNic a alternative DNS host that while support CANN also resolves special ones, like .chan. it is also community run/operated and is entirely focused on not having any censorship. Some DNS servers also have support for the DNS encryption protocol. Most of the severs have a limited time for logs (~24h) or none.

Win's firewall has been disabled on this machine for a while, but there's exceptions in it anyways.

Another silly question have you rebooted the modem/router (and optionally the desktop) after port forwarding?

Yes.

I've also done ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

pls respond

Still need help with this.

my battery is not charging in my laptop, I tried turning it off, removing battery, deleting Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery on the device manager, but its still wont charge.
Any program that can do the job? Im using win7

Any ideas? I have three computers I could upgrade and the benchmarking sites report performance increases compared to Windows 7 but at the same time I don't know how much of the spying shit is/can be removed yet.

Update:

If I put it back in the case and hook up the motherboard, it whines... Vid related

I will borrow my friend's and I'll test tomorrow.

Update #2:

Any suggestions?

please help

This faggot laptop appears to not have wifi when it should. I did a reinstall of Winshit 8 to factory settings and it didn't even ask to enable wifi or connect via wifi. Also tried installing Mint in hopes that a new OS would fix it but it didn't. Now it's back to a base install of Win8 and all the drivers installed and updated. Ethernet works.

what the fuck do I do? I need to fix this fat cunt's laptop to score some authentic cuban cigars.

What are the limits of ARM architecture beyond gaymen? What other limits would I encounter using one as a casual desktop for school and leisurely use?

What kind of free email services are safe, not datamining and all that nasty shit? Does it really matter which email provider I use anyway?

You should read the sticky, but I've heard good things about protonmail. Go check them out, though I need you need to wait a bit after applying for an invitation.

tutanota.com / tutanota.de I have heard alot of good things about. doesn't even have half the complicated javascript and crazy shit running in the backround as protonmail does or so they say.

how do this?

can't seem to get this to work on any browser or any computer anywhere. is the website broken? I wanted to ask if they would sell a different food they dont have right now, but now it doesn't ever send.

customerservice.costco.com/app/ask

poorly formatted meme questions deserve no answer

I can't believe someone would be such a whiney brat about a simplified question.

tell me what it has to do with memes? how would you know?

anyone?

I still need help ;_;

I used the wrong DVD and installed a non-pre-cracked Win7. Don't feel like reinstalling the proper one with all the updates and drivers for another week.
What do?

12 year old style

A simple question was asked. If you are too retarded to understand then I pity you. if you are angry, that's understandable too. but if you are going to be a douchebag about it, then shame on you.

I don't know anything about windows since I think microsoft should get married to monsanto, but could you better explain what you want to accomplish?

also why do you think no research has been done? operating system is stated clearly. I want to know how install that game. I don't really need to clarify further so I didn't add loads of extra text to the post, as that would inconvenience unnecessarily those who may want to help me.

I want to avoid the black abyss and get away from Activating Windows.
Crack windows activation.
I've had shitty experience with Mint because I'm impatient and only an entry level IT connoisseur (the boy in the family that knows how 2 werk dem compyutahs).

mint is a proprietary shithole, I would stay away from that too. I don't recommend using anything in any way related to:

and so on.

try using debian, and then as soon as devuan is finished, switch over to devuan to get away from systemd that has spread like a cancer through linux.

may the force be with you.

How do I torrent stuff anonymously?
(Without paying for a VPN)

burrburrburrburrburr

it includes some proprietary software, but mint itself is not proprietary. Why is there so much hate for mint here?

Dunno, maybe it's because it's supposed to be "win-babbys first loonix" since it's meant for windows users.
This is the first time I've seen people talk negatively about mint here (aside from myself).

mint is constantly shilled for the sole purpose of attracting windows newbies and entrapping them in an equally shitty OS.

does anyone know the proper way to make/config/build/compile/install the lastest version of gearhead 2 on debian?

have you tried it yourself first? aur?

would anyone here recommend devuan over debian?

this is what's wrong with the arch community, they know nothing else about linux

install git from the official repositories, then run git clone on the github link, then cd inside the downloaded folder
make will probably be enough

in what sense?

How do I go from Ubuntu to Win 10 without getting v&?

I'm trying to sell a laptop, and don't know how much trouble I'd run into by going from Win 7 with a torrented product and trying to upgrade, or how much shit I'd be in for just torrenting Win10

answer pls

also interested in answer

Well, I have Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013, since I got it, this hasn't gotten me any trouble, but today, It started to ask me for the activation code and doesn't let me do nothing, any way to fix this, a crack or something, I need to keep writting stuff.

Help me anons I've gone into a funk after hittign a wall

after I figured out how to create my own personal in home cloud server using owncloud I've pretty much run out of NEED ideas and I don't really know what I need to do to continue learning

I need to keep busy so I don't blow my time on masturbating and playing vidia so I'll take just about any suggestions

has anyone here managed to successfully install cuda on debian 8?
Help much appreciated. I need it to use with theano

use a free vpn
i'm not gonna reccomend the one I use though because fuck you, I don't want your kind shitting it up

Holla Forums fag here I got a minute for you

what game

what port

do you have an antivirus/firewall and if so what is it

is the wireless even physicly connected?

does it have a hard or semi-hard on off switch?

Blue Ray animu

80s animu is best

nuke the drive then install win7

I am running ubuntu on ThinkPad t420

I restarted my laptop and now whenever it boots up it wants me to install ubuntu, it acts like I'm installing it from a USB.

What do I do to boot from my regular ubuntu instead of it trying to reinstall?

is the install media (USB or Disc) currently in the machine?

No.

does the grub come up when you boot?

is it booting live or directly to the non live installer?

It goes to the live installer

Grub doesn't come up

I did earlier put a install of ubuntu on a usb. Is it possible I installed it to my hard drive instead of the usb? I put the iso on /dev/sda

if you are in the live installer can you access your installed home directory?

can you log out?

how did you install it before?

Okay so I need to connect my PC to a TV and a sound system. To this end I've bought a DVI to HDMI cable and an optical audio cable. I'm planning to plug the HDMI directly into the tele and the optical into the receiver for the sound system for audio. Will this work? On paper it looks fine but I'm worrying about some tech gremlin or another that will jump up my ass.

Why is connecting a PC to a home sound system such a bugger?

is the tv optical in out or both?

Yes but it's encrypted

can you log out?

The TV has an optical out which is currently connected to the Yamaha RX-V375 to deliver TV audio to the room's sound system. I'll probably yank that to connect my PC to the RX-V375.

well why don't you give it a test user

test one cable at a time then both

am I missing any concerns?

Yes I can log out.

When I try to enter my normal password it says invalid

I ain't got the cables yet soon, and I can't move my whole PC downstairs for like 20 seconds just to test if my crazy optical audio idea works.

I'm just wondering if it should work in theory so that if it doesn't work practically I know that I should be looking for answers instead of just giving up.

Sorry for not responding for a while.

Anything i've tried (Half-Life, Minecrap, Terraria)
27000-27015 TCP/UDP
7777 TCP/UDP
25565 TCP/UDP

No AV/Firewall

are you selecting the appropriate user name?

wat

is it being delivered or something?

Yes you fucking can you always test shit first to make sure it's gonna work early so you can fix any foreseeable problems now instead of in a week

do it and listen to some mitch murder

youtube.com/watch?v=Mf-kfYjFhmw

running video through HDMI and Audio through optical?

never used optical myself but probably yeah it seems sound based on what you told me

I can't select a username, it makes me type it in, it's the correct username though

I've only just put them on order, they'll be here by Friday. I have to have the room up and running by Saturday. I am not good at these things.

And the parents are now using the TV so I can't hijack it.

no sweat user this particular problem is magic to me half the time and usually when I get shit working I have forgotten half the steps I took to get it working

for future reference use a port forward tester like this

yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

double check to make sure your ports are forwarded

test other forwarded ports to make sure your modem and router are letting them through

make sure jewgle isn't blocking those ports on their vpn or fiber

make sure your home network settings in "network and sharing center" are right (this part is fucking voodoo to me)

and it auto boots to the live install session?

My dad is a fucking retard and changed the default password on the router and forgot what it was.

What do?

Yes. I think what happened was I extracted the iso of ubuntu to my hard drive instead of my usb

user put teamviewer or a more trustworthy program for remote control on the PC and set it up so you can connect to it remotely when it's on the network, this and SSH are how I access like 5 computers at my home instead of a KVM

when your parents are done using it, later on, take only the tower and the wifi/ethernet downstairs and connect the tower then remotely access the tower using your phone tablet, make sure to make an account or at least get the ID and Password from your computer before taking it apart

you're doing fine user

reset router to factory spec and use default password

user I wish you told me that here

how did you manage that anyway?

also if you just wipe and do a fresh install will it cause any issues?

will you lose files?

Mind you, i have experience with this, and yes, i am using a port forward tester and a friend who's testing.

There are no other forwarded ports on the modem or router, and any others i've tried do not open.

Jewgle, as far as I'm aware, and their support has said, is that they're not blocking any ports.

Network and sharing center settings are mostly default but everything has been set to have a static IP adress and use all the gateways, DNS, and everything else that's been dictated to my computer or on the network by the router setup, yet nothing works.

are you at school

I will lose files, I usually put the iso on the usb by using the terminal

can you install it again without wiping the home directory?

Not sure how I would go about doing that.

can you copy the encrypted home directory for backup?

are said files important?

actually can you run a live session and mount the home directory?

er wait

what I mean is look at this
howtogeek.com/116297/how-to-recover-an-encrypted-home-directory-on-ubuntu/

They are important. Its a file system so Idk if I can copy it.

Is there a way for me to delete the extracted iso so it boots up nominally

No.

It's fucking summer, anyways, who would be at school besides college kids. This is my house i have this shit in.

well sure you can delete the extracted contents of the ISO user

you just need to know what you're looking for and that info would be on the unextracted ISO image though I don't know enough to tell if it overwrote the grub and shit since I can't see what you have going on

could work

can you post the contents of the mounted install ISO as a jpg

I could give you a clearer answer on that if I knew the contents

now here is a shitty question user

have you tried setting it up over LAN or VPNLAN like hamachi shit to make sure it's not the ports?

also test port forwarding from another computer in your house

oh and what Ubuntu are you using?

Yes. The games function via LAN/VPNLAN, Tunngle and Hamachi specifically.

noice

now make sure to test port forwarding on other computers in your house to make sure it's not just this computer fucking around with the internet

also I should explain that this step will drastically narrow it down to the problem either being your computer or the router and modem and I should have thought of this sooner but it's been a while since I tried to set this shit up myself

I have no other computers here, annoyingly enough.

16.04 LTS

also testing the hamachi ports wouldn't hurt

help.logmein.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Which-ports-and-protocols-does-LogMeIn-Hamachi2-use-en1

do you have a smart phone or tablet?

yeah, i have an S4 that i could probably use

thanks user, downloading now to try and help but my end will take a couple hours so that jpg of the files in the ISO would help

figure out it's IP set the ports and give it a shot user

They're closed.

Every port on the network is either filtered or closed minus a singular one intended for remote access by the ISP

but hamachi works?

er scratch that, apparently it doesn't need it

Yes.

I have a pirated copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, and currently I have Windows Activation messages popping over my games suddenly. I have tried using Regedit to adjust the "manual" value in the auto-activation part of the SoftwareProtectionPlatform and it stopped working after about two days or so. How do I fix this issue and prevent further pop-ups from ruining my vidya experience?

user I am presently of the opinion that your woes are because of your router/modem settings

tests for this would be:

disable the popup brutally

crack it

no one?

Read my original post.

This is google fiber and their box, and regardless of being connected to their pseudo-modem (it also has router functionality, mind you) or the router, it doesn't function, despite being port forwarded either way.

you neglected to share several details like how old is the laptop, what is the laptop model, how old is the battery

right sorry

so can you get into the pseudomodem firmware?

I think you said this multiple times but I jsut want to be sure

They're also closed on the phone, too.

just a yes or no is good

an I don't know is also good

Not really sure.

This is all we fucking get out of them, off their website to access our boxes and shit.

It's dumbed down for the average layman.

And yes i'm a paranoid retard for black-boxing everything, but that's just me.

its an HP laptop, its 4 years old now same with the battery

hehehaha

anyway user is that third image how your "router is set up?

it's fine user but labels for what stuff was in red text on the black would help

user my assumption is that it's jsut dead

when it died what was it's behavior

from wiki
Battery lifeRechargeable battery life is typically defined as the number of full charge-discharge cycles before significant capacity loss. Storage also reduces capacity.Manufacturers' information typically specify lifespan in terms of the number of cycles (e.g., capacity dropping linearly to 80% over 500 cycles), with no mention of chronological age.[123] Research rejects this common industry practice.[citation needed] On average, lifetimes consist of 1000 cycles,[124] although battery performance is rarely specified for more than 500 cycles. This means that batteries of mobile phones, or other hand-held devices in daily use, are not expected to last longer than three years. Some batteries based on carbon anodes offer more than 10,000 cycles.[125]As a battery self-discharges, its voltage gradually diminishes. When depleted below the protection circuit's low-voltage threshold (2.4 to 2.9 V/cell, depending on chemistry) the circuit disconnects and stops discharging until recharged. As discharge progresses, metallic cell contents plate onto its internal structure, creating an unwanted discharge path.[citation needed]

fuck you lmao i forgot one thing that is mostly irrelevant

and what red text on the black?

Yes, the third image is the modem having ports forwarded to the router, but i've tried hooking into the box itself and forwarding to myself, even setting myself as far as a DMZ to it, with no luck.

That's the second box underneath the R7000 router

just like labels like "router IP address" and "comp1_IP"

well shit those are the Ports for half life aren't they

try forwarding port 80 to your devices just to check

ok so, you HAVE connected your PC directly to the modem and forwarded port 27000 and port 80 to your PC and tested it?

well, shit, dont have shekels to buy a new one yet, I thought it was windows not detecting the damn thing

yeah I could be wrong user

but personally my phone battery only lasts 2 years

136.62.84.129 is the WAN IPv4

and yes, that's the port range for steam/source stuff.

If it's relevant it probably should be, the ports are filtered, not closed, meaning there's a firewall or something in the way despite the fact there shouldn't be.

filtered?

sorry where is that listed?

what indicates that?

Port checking tools.

well shit user, can you attempt to close said ports using the modem and check them again?

or just click the common ports at the bottom of the common list now

I've got a problem with some files I've transferred from an SD card to my PC. If I try to open the files, the applications tell me they're corrupt.

The SD card was used in an Android 4.0.4 phone and apparently (I now realize) encryption was turned on… The strange thing is, I can read the filenames just fine. So does Android only encrypt the files’ content instead of the full SD card itself?

I unfortunately formatted the SD card, so I can’t copy the files again from the phone itself, with the SD card inserted into it (and letting Android decrypt them during transfer). However, the key should still be stored on the phone, right? So is it possible to either extract the key?

TL;DR How to get an Android phone to decrypt files that were once stored on its SD card?

you know any programs that could take control of the charging? i tried looking for one but they are just to monitor the battery

Oh, holy shit. Now it suddenly works for some reason. All incoming connections have begun working at seemingly random.

Thanks for your help.

What did I say earlier user

it's fucking magic

or more likely some shit I don't know needed to refresh

sadly I don't user

you could look for one for your specific make and model but I forgot what little I knew

I think there was a program that did a full discharge and charged it to max and reset the data but that was for an old windows 98 machine and soon after the battery died again anyway

re-encrypt SD card and put copy files back on and try that?

well user it looks like your grub was overwritten

you seem to have some busy work ahead of you no matter what with no real guarantee of success

you could try installing it in a VM and ripping out it's grub and modifying it to fix your boot and then replacing the one in your computer thus causing it to boot proper but I cannot guarantee that will will because I have no idea how the encryption is set up or where the encryption passphrase is stored or if it will reference it

but that is your best bet

sadly I don't know enough about linux to give you any concrete answer that will definitely work

if you have the passphrase, find it if you can, you can probably just decrypt the folder if you follow a guide

I think that about covers it user unless you have other ideas or questions

rip battery

it was a gift from an old greatest generation guy

dude is still alive and kicking but had a few heart attacks and stuff that would not heal

he'll be gone in a few years but good people

I'm not familiar with how to crack Windows

user I'm tired now and about to get into vidia but this will point you in the right direction

crackserialpro.com/windows-7-activator-2015-free-download-for-32-bit-64-bit/

Have you taken a look at whonix.org/wiki/Troubleshooting#Installation_and_Network_Issues?

for what fucking purpose
how do i get rid of all this bloat its disgusting and i hate it.

what are you using, a resolution for ants?

I have a shellcode which i execute and gives a random string i have to send to get the flag for a hacking challange.

The problem is, the shellcode exits right after it sends the string, so I cant get it within Python or even stdout.
Does anyone know how to work this around?

another good example of someone with OCD riding the bloat train too hard

let the bloat meme die

I have a HDD that's maybe rkt
Tried formating from disk management in windows and at the end said "ciuld not be formatted". Also can't use chkdsk coz says filetype is raw. What do I do? I don't care about anything on the drive just want the space

Does playing games from a memory card on an android device have any noticeable effect on how long the battery holds?

what hacking challenge?

So I have coax running to most of the rooms in my house, including two for the room with my cable modem. We don't use cable tv anymore, so is there any reason I cannot hook the ISP cable directly to the modem, then moca/deca adapter and connect to the other rooms? Is deca possible, as it would be cheaper? Also, any tips for improving the throughput of wireless on a mikrotik RB951G?

I'm still kind of a newfag to linux, is there a way to move a large number of files with the same beginnings to their names all at once from one folder to another? I was figuring it was an option for mv, but I didn't see it in the man pages so I wanted to be sure.

Requesting help on this. This Mikrotic router is driving me insane.

You can try $begin-name*.* $destination. * is a wild card. This should do what you want.

Not sure what steps you have gone through - and I am no expert, just have played around with a RB951G for a year or so. You need to create a bridge, and set whichever eth you're using for WAN as the master of the other ports. You'll also probably want to setup a NAT, and some basic firewall ports before allowing traffic.

Err, also, as I probably just reiterated something you did, you'll want to make sure you have firewall rules setup to allow establish and new traffic from the local net, and might want to assign it a static IP. If it is connecting manually, make sure you have internet traffic going to you're wireless vlan. Sorry, those are all the things I had to go through to get something akin to it working on mine.

Worked like a charm. Thanks.

Thinking more about it, and just throwing it out there, might want to make sure you have arp enabled for the interface, that you don't have a static ip set on the TP-link (mikrotik doesn't seem to like that, I have found), and that the subnet is large enough to include it. Also, make sure it isn't breaking any firewall rules which might tarpit/blacklist it. Additionally, make sure the station count isn't too restrictive. Sorry if I am saying things you already know/have tried, I just remember struggling with the oddities of mikrotik myself.

And thinking of some more: might try using metarouter and seeing if openwrt or something running on the mikrotik would handshake better. Also, check the chipset of the TP-link and see if it plays nice as a bridge for the atheros mikrotik is so fond of. Might want to make sure the TP-link can process traffic fine directly from the WAN, though I imagine you already tried that.

My instnicts tell me this is bullshit

Emacs (spacemacs, specifically) question:

How do I copy the output of define-word to the clipboard/current file? As soon as I click inside the box that pops up or press any key it goes away, making it impossible.

Nevermind, everything is output to the messages buffer.

thank you for solidifying in my mind that this board is useless.

Is there a good list services that aren't essential and can be turned off safely, or should be turned off to avoid unwanted things like updating or changing settings, for windows 7? Some extra stuff got put onto my computer and I've been disabling things I don't need, but there are a lot of them so a good guide would be nice.

I don't know what to do,

is there a way I can just properly make/compile it from the websites latest update?

use debian until devuan is finished then go to devuan and never look back.

You and your posts are redundant and useless. Go back to reddit, or better yet, hang yourself.

Just downloaded the Brave browser (on OS X). Imported my Chrome Bookmarks. They appear in the Bookmarks Toolbar, but I can't seem to find a way to put them in a drop-down bookmarks menu, which is important because I have way, WAY too many bookmarks to manage in a horizontal toolbar.

Halp? Please?

ringzero, coding chall 121

how can I install gearhead2 latest version on debian?

someone helped me figure out how to install the latest freeciv before, but I don't know how to do the same thing for gearhead2.

Install linux

How do I convert x254 to x265 with ffmpeg or something similar.

I started playing PokemonGo and noticed that I use up more data than most people (50mb after 30 minutes of playtime). Looking closer I noticed that some other stuff used a lot of data, but I can't seem to find a way to limit my data to only PokemonGo when I'm outside. I have an Android. Any advice?

Use a firewall to allow the app to only use your data connection. F-Droid has several options.

I usually use blackviper.com/ as a reference for such things.

How do I get good at fixing and working with printers? I've used a printer like maybe 10 times in my whole life just because I had too, so I basically forgot everything, even how to change the ink.

I'm asking because my job needs an IT guy who also unfucks printers when they are fucked. Where do I even start, I don't even have a fucking printer and from what I've heard they are really a nightmare to deal with because every one of them works in mysterious ways.

I'd simply suggest using a local pay phone, if they're still around at your location.

Why are there no VR desktops for Linux? They all list win10 as a requirement.

Steam VR is so shit on Steam Machines. why did they even release the OS if they aren't even going to release their own games and services on it? There is no SteamVR perfomance test on Steam OS, the Lab doesn't run and there are almost no games at all.

I just want to be a hitec lowlife in an open source virtual reality, is that so much to ask?

Switch to T-Mobile, which just announced unlimited data for Pokemon Go.

abcnews.go.com/Business/mobile-exempting-pokemon-data-network-sparking-concerns-access/story?id=40677677

Okay, and that will solve my issue with bookmarks in Brave... how?

Linux is an operating system, not a fucking religion. It's not the answer to literally every question, and you're not required to knock on people's doors like a Jehovah's Witness and try to talk people into converting. So please stop treating an open source OS like it was the fucking Ruhnama and you were required by law to make sure that all your neighbors had a copy of it.

So, about those bookmarks... anybody?

[email protected]/* */

I discovered IceCat thanks to some user mentioning it here. I really like it! The only problem is that my tabs all have black text, which is pretty hard to read on a blue background. I'm too dumb to find where to fix that for some reason.

That's what I mean, not the general text, for clarification.

No shit, really? Thanks for that stunning display of technical expertise, goober.

PLEASE HELP.
When exactly did every browser become shit? I remember back in like 2010, everything worked without issue. Should I just grab a version of Chrome from back then, and just take the security loss? Or are there other browsers worth using?

how do I into web automation? clicking objects, typing letters?

Fuck, I meant "your" there, believe me.

You could use x265 directly.
x265 --help

what program can I use from linux to voice chat another linux user?

extra keen ones that are just basic command line no fuss, encryption, no crashing and no failing to work.

I doubt a program exists but here's hoping someone knows of one.

arecord | nc friendo 9999 | aplay

tcp (and uncompressed?) for audio across the net?

Well I dunno, pipe it through a compressor if necessary. And lower the quality. Netcat should into udp too.

is there a robust little program that does all this

honestly mumble, haven't seen it crash yet

GODDAMNIT, DO YOU FAGGOTS NEED A TL;DR OR SOMETHING?
Just straight up: what browser doesn't suck shit? Chrome variants, Firefox (and betas), Cyberfox, and Opera need not apply.

lynx

I would suggest Qupzilla and Palemoon mainly.

I plan on building a new computer soon. I won't always have access to ethernet, so I was wondering if most new motherboards have built in wifi adapters or if I'll have to buy a seperate adapter. Thanks.

Literally just tried Palemoon, and it gave me the Chrome "let's freeze your entire computer for 5 minutes" problem after not even 6 minutes of usage.

I heard gnu icecat was literally the best. gotta try it soon.

"video format or mime type not supported"

oh no :(

most of the high end ones seem to much to my own dismay...

One of your emissaries on Holla Forums says systemd is something I should at the very least be conscience of. How concerned should I be about it?
I come from the land of jessie topped with lxde cuz muh modularity, what changes should I make or what distro should I switch to?

FUCK, is anyone else constanly getting this stupid "blocked" page? I'm getting really sick of this shit.