Internet freedom

so just how boned are we

should I seriously start freaking out?

Other urls found in this thread:

eff.org/issues/icann
research.dyn.com/2008/02/pakistan-hijacks-youtube-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

As far as i can tell, it's just an collective autistic sperg-out.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but as far as i know, the only this thing does is let sites be renamed to something other than a bunch of random letters and numbers.

So i would think that the closest thing to "censorship" we could get is, them taking away the custom names for sites they don't like.

I was under the idea that once this happens much of what we take for granted on the internet will change

its over

this is just an excuse for those that actually care about free speech to finally switch over to a decentralized hosting services instead of this globalist run bullshit
dotbit.me
freenetproject.org

eff.org/issues/icann

Notice the EFF isn't freaking out. If it were an issue they would be.

Get fucked amerilards

Looks like you wont be living in the "land of the free" anymore

explain to me how you became this retarded user It's perplexing me

i think ppl r already doing enough noise about it, so theres no need for us to "sign a petition" with our e-mail addresses, so that some filthy niggers can sell our addresses and have us drown in spam for half a year

EFF has cucked out before

If this doesn't do it we've got the TPP TTIP and TISA to look forward to. We're fucking fucked sooner or later, but it was bound to happen. You know that in your heart. Let's just enjoy whatever time we have left.

i would also like to point out, that we would suffer the most, if it happened, but we wouldve been unable to do anything about it, or i wouldnt be affected, cuz dictators dont care bout my country, or some1 would make war to reclaim the icann

Which is nothing like the ICANN situation. This just seems more like MURICA

Still has global impact through global control/appeasement. Burgers are fighting hard to stay relevant. (BRICS will fuck them regardless)
I've got a better question:

How do you make the inevitable web 3.0?
my ideas
1. Zero government regulation of any kind
2. Zero censorship
3. Zero ad revenue (although that goes against number 2 and sets dangerous precedent. haven't figured this out yet)

so, since we have computers for a long time now, why ont we finally resolve the problems of coding spaces,symbols and non-latin letters, so that the internet can finally just work on letters, not thousands of digits in disguise. Also how come he most uncentralized artificial structure on earth is so centralized?

they only control certain top level domains and there is nothing stopping any government from completely ignoring ICANN altogether, something that would fragment the web to an extent. If this does not go through then there is a 100% change that this fragmentation would happen.
Admins are fucking retards who need to take their meds.

All is fine. Get back to your scheduled life.

If you people think this effects any government's ability to censor content from their own citizens then you have zero idea what you are talking about and need to stop.
There are two main types of censorship orders that i have to action for the isp i work for. The first is a DNS redirect. This means I have to change the DNS record for the address on our own DNS server to redirect to the address of a government warning page (or sometimes just 502 it). The client can avoid this by using another DNS server, including one outside the country.
The second type is an ip block order. In this case I have to change the internal routing table on our BGP routers to route that address to 127.0.01 (aka drop all packets going to that ip address).
The internet is a collection of isp routers that are peered on a trust based relationship between isp's and DNS is a collection of name servers that replicate records from each other on trust based relationships.
Here is a good story that demonstrates how ICANN has no real tangible power over anything and is simply a platform for everyone to get together and agree on a set of standards to make everything run more smoothly.

research.dyn.com/2008/02/pakistan-hijacks-youtube-1/

This was a famous case of a time when the Pakistan gov ordered youtube blocked in Pakistan by ip address. Unfortunately the sysadmin made a mistake and instead of blackholeing the address on their internal routing table he did it on the external routing table. This is then automatically replicated to the routers of the other isps that it's peers with and so on and so on… until isps all over the world were dropping requests to youtube's ip range.

tl;dr: there is no great mighty mainframe that controls the internet, nothing is going to happen that you would have any interest in, you are all fucking stupid and have no idea what you are talking about so fucking stop already.