MATE thread

Why is MATE so perfect, Holla Forums?

It's not.

It's shit

Because it does it's job fine, and the devs don't try and "improve" it constantly.
Also my first distro was Ubuntu 10.10, and that used GNOME 2. Ubuntu MATE is what Ubuntu would have been if they didn't go Unity, and it's gud

TBH I was impressed af with 1.8.1.
But 1.10 is shit man. Dumbed-down to the maximum. Same old GNOME mission drift all over again. XFCE 4.10 for newbs.
Anyone else should be using a simple wm.

How was it dumbed down?

Because MATE (and its counterpart Trinity) follow design philosophies from a time when bloat was not practical and touch hype was simply not a thing. They are built simply to be intuitive and productive, and they succeed.

I see you are using MATE. I use KDE myself. I heard that MATE was better but you know what they say, old habits die hard.

Why is the new terminal color picker so shit?

It was't. He's autistic

It turned to shit when they went full gtk3. Now it takes at least 100mb more of ram than it should and its sliiiiiightly slower than before which pisses me off a little. That and it's still got some ancient bugs

Xfce does everything MATE can do, does it almost all better, is hugely more customizable, and all while having a similar resource usage.

MATE is a meme DE.

MATE is OK, but I like Xfce better.

What do you guys think about LXQT/LXDE?

It can be good for Windows XP-Like comfy, and mate-terminal is breddy gud, but XFCE is way superior than MATE.

So which one is better? Cinnamon or MATE? I heard cinnamon was pretty shit.

You heard right.

Bretty good, I do wish they would make better use of Openbox though. You can do some really neat stuff with Openbox pipe menus. PCManFM is comfy.

And I also wish those guys developing Openbox would bring back window snapping already. Apparently it used to have it, but they forgot to bring the feature back in the code overhaul for v3?

Utterly pointless, defeats the entire purpose of LXDE which is to be a super lightweight DE. I'd rather just use Xfce. If they can't manage to get the resource usage under control then the LX project is doomed because being a lightweight, power-saving DE for laptop use was always its major niche.

How's multi-monitor support? Does it seamlessly switch to the last config when you connect one, does the sound automatically switch to hdmi if it's available?

Cinnamon is good for normies. I can report great success getting normies frustrated by unwanted Windows 10 to accept it

Get them to use XFCE instead.

Xfce has too many settings and features for normies, and on almost all distros looks like shit out of the box. I assume you don't deal with normies often; if it isn't good out of the box, they can't use it. See gimp as an example, one of its biggest issues is fixed by toggling a single checkbox (single window mode) and even that is too hard for a normie.

Cinnamon looks great out of the box, and has extremely little customization, so it's perfect for them.

But user, cinnamon is shit.

Are you implying that normies don't have shit taste?

You're right.

zero?

or infinity?

Pretty hypocritical considering using "meme" as a pejorative term is a meme in itself.

thanks user, I'll share that with my normie friends

That's a wide spectrum

that's 2 options user

and if I'm reading that right x=0 and they are dividing by zero

I meant there's kind of a big difference between infinity and zero.

I'll take your word for it user

Do you also need me to tell you how blue is different from green?

don't worry user

I believe you

From a normie points of view, Cinnamon is the best-looking DE, which is similar to windows and not complicated. MATE comes close but is slightly beat by Cinnamon. I'd suggest Cinnamon to normies.

No, I think you won't do very well in life if you need me to tell you these things. I'm just making sure. White and red are also different colors. Let me know if you understand this.

thanks user

MATE is shit.
xfce and lxqt are the only ones worth mentioning.

You didn't tell me if you got it.
You might be too dumb for life. Consider suicide.

I'll consider that user

It isn't a number because of the zero in the denominator.

Want to hear a secret? The answer isn't zero or infinity.

gitgud

right?

wait is that the infinity one or is it dividing zero?

or is it undefined?

undefined.

thanks user

Mint XFCE looks pretty nice

is that a pepe?

All thought is memetic.

Is this bait or does Holla Forums actually not know about derivatives?

These posts have to be bait. The answer to that qualifying question is obviously 28.

It just is.

You people always think your proffered software is perfection, I'll bite and try Mate, though.

*preferred

the answer is zero (not impossible or infinity)
you have to differentiate the equation in order to x and then find y when x=0
i don't think it's bait

xfce is the best
and i like gnome for it's simplicity

mate is not perfect because you can't search for applications in apps mene like you can in xfce4

You have no idea what's the biggest problem with GIMP.

Because it's the only DE that still works with Compiz.

It can be done on Ubuntu MATE with the right configuration.

Xfce works fine with Compiz, what are you talking about? I don't see why LXDE wouldn't either.