Do you think Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies capture the spirit of Silver Age comic books?

Do you think Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies capture the spirit of Silver Age comic books?

The first two, probably. The third had too much melodrama and too many villians, but that wasn't Raimi's fault. It's probably for the best that we didn't get a fourth.

I just ask this because of how most recent superhero movies are either overly dark and serious (see DC), or overly self aware and indulgent in lore or inside jokes(see Marvel). There aren't any recent superhero movies that come to mind that are as sincere and heartfelt as the silver age comics.

fuck off

Ah. Sam Raimi's Spider-man. That that many anons will admit it was pretty shit, concept wise.
Say all you want about Spider-man 2 and that scene with the black hole, Peter had done fuck all intelligence wise before and after that scene. You would never guess Peter Parker in those movies had an extremely high intelligence.

The idea of Spiderman naturally producing webs just like a spider makes more sense concept wise than the original webshooters, however cool they are.

no, you.

You know this is Holla Forums, right?

Go back to where you belong, filthy dumb /a/ scum.

The point is to showcase that part of Peter's personality, not for 'realism'.

Maybe if he farted them. Spiders don't produce web from their limbs.
And even if they did, there is no talk of realism here. You cannot pass any traits that Peter gained as 'scientifically more realistic for somebody ''who is mutating into a spider because of a radioactive bite".
If you want to use the realism card, heightened senses and agility - not caused by spider dna, but because of the bizarre effects of irradiated venom - are the best you can pull.

Notice I never said anything about realism because it's about a nerd getting super powers from a slightly irradiated bug. I just said it would make sense for him to gain natural webbing as part of the spider powers package.

That is if we ignore the retarded disassembled storyline where they give him organic webs anyway.

Point being user, that Peter Parker in the movie had fuck all "science" wise considering Peter being a science nerd was part of who he was. Making webshooters from scratch that he pieced together from a junk yard would of done far more wonders than organic web shooters. I could only imagine the next Ironman movie showing Tony Stark finding a suit of armor in his dads hidden basement to show how smart Tony Stark was.
I'm more angry and lack of attention to that side of Peter Parker than whether or not he had organic web shooters.

FTFY

Perhaps he was wondering why someone would banepost before shitposting in his thread.

if you get dubs will it kill you?

For the most part. They manage to be goofy, without going absolutely all out like Adam West Batman, or becoming retarded like Batman and Robin. First two films also had comedy, decent action, and were just plain fun.

Spider-Man 2 also had the best opening titles out of all cape films.

Peter in comics is not just a science nerd, he is a fucking chemical engineering prodigy, who came up with substance that military tried to for at least 5 decades. Parker did all that, just to thematically match his wall climbing powers. That faggot could be superhero without radioactive spiders involved.

Peter in movies was just an average science nerd. He was excited about visiting research center and knew more about spiders that average person would. He also manged to struck an acquaintance with doctor Connors. However, movies decided to go with Peter being the photojournalist route.

Spider-Man 2 and the Spiderman 2 video game will always be the best super hero related media every composed, alongside the plane scene from the Dark Knight Rises

It would be very painful

I love big guys

What the - why would he wonder that?

You know what else makes me wonder: why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane?

As good as they were, there are a lot of flaws due to it still being a very transitional movie. It was as close to the comic as they could get AT THE TIME, because as fucking stupid as movies are, execs still thought they were above comics. They couldn't focus on giving him good quips during a fight, because in a movie quips during the fight are mostly just one liners, it's a completely different feel from comic banter. The assumption that the audience is fucking retarded (which sometimes may be true) lead to things like Peter being downgraded to above average instead of genius, and biological webshooters take out a fantastical element of how smart Peter is. Even thinking to the Batman movies, he's not really shown as the science hero he is, at most he types some stuff into the Bat Computer or gets assistance from others. Even now when we intelligent characters like House, Tony Stark and various versions of Sherlock are more popular, they are balanced by the fact that they're a bunch of fucking weirdos. I don't know if people would have been intimidated by a genius Peter Parker who also wasn't a complete headcase, but that was the perception Hollywood had.

It's hard for me to be too hard on these movies, because they did pave the way for everything we take for granted now. They did as best they could to capture that silver age feel as was allowed. It would have been nice to end a movie with something besides Mary Jane in danger, but that's just how movies are. Same reason villains had to die in the end, movies see death as the natural conclusion to a story, while comics tend to keep villains alive to use later.

And? When I was younger and first found out that it was only those movies that made up the organic web stuff (the idea of artificial webs wasn't foreign to me though since I also watched the 90s cartoon) I thought it was stupid.

I mean his only actual powers aren't spider-only. Increased strength? Ants have that. Climbing walls? Most insects can do that. What's the point of him having spider powers if the one thing only a spider can do isn't actually one of his powers?

By todays norm he would be far above what is commonly considered standard.

I agree it's a bit more elegant

inb4 all the handwaves they have done to justify this

Amazing Spider-Man films were better.

user. The purpose of his webshooters was not just to shoot webbing. It showed how high his intellect was by creating such a device from scratch. But heaven forbid the movie highlights Peters intelligence.

If Peter invented webbing and shooters, he didn't have to become a wrestler to get money. He would make far more by selling his inventions or starting up a company. Harry would surely be able to help a good deal with the second one, and his father would be interested in purchasing the tech and maybe even hiring Peter.

If you actually read the comics you'd know that one of the first things Peter did to try and get money was sell/patent his web-fluid, but the scientists he tried to sell to had no interest in it because it dissolves after an hour.

BTFO
T
F
O

But that's wrong, user.

It wasn't Amazing Fantasy #15. There he only fought Crusher Hogan to test his powers, not to earn money, like in the movie.

The attempt to sell the webbing was in Amazing Spider-Man #18

Wow, fair enough. I need to do another reading of classic spidey I guess.

MY WORD! the narration in old comics was intense

*internal monologue

Not only does this remind me that Betty Brant is WORST GIRL, but that last big is great.

I can't remember if this was before or after Spider-Man supposedly killed her brother

fuck off

b8

That's not how you do it, user.
You tell the other guy that his comic does not count because the writer was a cuck.

After, I'm pretty sure that was in #11 or #12.

And that's the not the point. The point is he gets powers from a spider but only the things that other insects can do rather than the one ability spiders are known for.

And if he can create something like that from scratch they might as well have him spend his time being an inventor or discovering cures for cancer or some crap. Having Parker as some super genius only to not be a fully tech-based hero breaks my suspension of disbelief.

stop responding you retards

Mechanically web shooters give Peter the ability to modify the webbing for different situations. The entire argument in favor for organic webbing hinges on contrived convenience that falls apart against scrutiny and comes across as an excuse to avoid getting creative.

But Spidey's entire premise is built on the idea that he doesn't have time for that shit. He juggles trying to maintain and manage personal responsibilities with putting his life on the line to save the day. The one time he decided to be selfish resulted in his Uncle's murder, so it's understandable that he's shouldn't be mentally open to the idea of taking the easy way out even when it's handed to him on a platter.

Maybe that isn't thematically convenient enough for you, but it's more flexible than instantly putting him on the same tier as Tony Stark or Reed Richards and giving him all the resources to do whatever with almost no repercussions on his personal life. There's a reason Marvel's been struggling to make Iron Man relevant in his own comics, before and after the MCU films made him a household name.

Firstly, not all spiders spin webs. Tarantulas for instance, don't produce webs at all. At least one interpretation of Spider-Man (Ultimate) has him getting bitten by a big ass tarantula. Secondly, you've wilfully ignored the fact that Spider-Man has a Spider Sense, which is based on spiders' natural ability to sense their prey through vibrations. Thirdly, it's not Stan and Steve's fault that arachnids share a lot of common attributes with insects, or that 'Spider-Man' sounded better thematically than 'The Fly' or some other insect. Fourthly and finally, you might as well complain that Spider-Man only has two eyes and four limbs, or that he doesn't have sharp little spider fangs with which to inject deadly venom into his opponents.

He creates tech based on need. 90% of the time he doesn't need anything more than to shoot webs. When he does, he creates additional. He's not like fucking Iron Man who needs tons of advanced technology because, without it, he's just a normal man with a heart condition

Spiders also kill their significant others.

I love old comics. Love 'em.

Go watch the DC Cinematic Universe.

Yet a highschooler who has school work and tests to balance somehow has time to make an absurdly strong artificial web compound in his bedroom?

I'm surely but I don't buy the Spidey is a super-genius stuff. I'm glad most adaptions drop it. They're better for it.

Good thing he isn't bitten by a Tarantula in the majority of incarnations.

I didn't know Spider Sense was based on one of a Spider's abilities. To be fair, he can sense airborne threats so I never assumed it was based off sensing vibrations. Always thought it was a premonition sort of thing.

They gave him web. They clearly wanted to make a big deal about the whole Spider aspect of his repertoire.

Slippery-slope in action folks. Thatstrawman might have had some credibility if Spidey had some extra mechanical limbs or venom injector devices.

That's not a power though.

Most of the time the people who argue for organic web-shooters are the ones who do so because it's 'more realistic'

Not really. You're the one who argued that because he's a spider he must make his own webs.

So does he.

Or you know, because it's damn weird that pretty much everything Spidey can do except shoot web is from the spider?

Considering his major gimmick is his web and he gets powers from a spider it's baffling his most spider-like trait wasn't even from said spider.

user, your whole argument is a strawman. Which focuses on why organic webshooters is important instead if initial argument of Peter lacking intellect in movies. Than we have here with a whole argument completely ignoring Peters original character. You know what Peter Parker was? At his heroic core Spider-man is a budget hero. Using intellect of his to the best to squeeze out as much as he can with the budget he has. For all your confusion on why Parker doesn't go full gadget I don't know how you can miss the part where keeping tech of that amount up to date is expensive. As a high school kid he's not rich and never has been till recent 5 years. So webshooters was the most he could do without breaking bank. But this is just arguing your strawman.
Point still stands that Parker creating his webshooters from scratch would of been an easy way to measure peters intellect. And seeing him balance his income and being smart about not wasting his fluid would be great to character development. But fuck that, average movie parker takes less effort to create.
That's fucking bullshit and you know it. His attendance record could cause him to be forcefully dropped from class. But there was no fucking way, as smart as peter is, to fail his classes. It's why he could go heroing so frequently. He'd dropinto class, ace the tests and disappear a few days. Fuck I could ramble more about that bullshit scene but I created enough of a wall of text.

Spiders kill their mates after mating.

Spider-Man never fucked Gwen

Green Goblin did

The whole "Pete and Gwen never fucked" is by far the most fantastical, unbelievable bullshit in the entire Spiderman mythos. More than spider totems, more than clones, more than One More Day. Healthy and in love college students, neither of which with some obsessive religious background or such to drive them toward abstinence, not expressing their love physically is MOTHER FUCKING MAKE BELIEVE. There is no greater puritan fantasy than Peter Parker staying a virgin until his wedding night. It's absurd.

Peter is just a cuck. Gwen was fucking a real man already.

Go to bed, Norman

Get ready to prep the bull, Peter.

It is a stretch.

Okay, so let's assume that Gwen was a good Christian girl and she didn't want to have sex with her boyfriend of many years because she wanted to save herself for marriage. Okay. But why would this girl not fuck her boyfriend, who she loved and wanted to marry, but would fuck her friend's dad, who she barely knew and was much older. It don't make sense. If she needed a fuck to help her get over her bereavement with regards to her father being killed, why would she go to Paris and fuck Norman? Why wouldn't she just go to Peter, who would have been ready and willing to provide her all comfort she desires?

It's bullshit.

Reminds me of those comic book stories (Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3, Chuck Dixon's Robin immediately come to mind) where an adolescent couple talk about having sex, and they almost always decide to wait 'until the time is right'.

When I was at school, there weren't that many couples but of the couples that there were, if they were together for more than three months, they were fucking. No question about it.

CUCKED

Joe Quesada was notorious for letting his personal life influence for how he guided Spidey, so…

My initial argument was about the artificial web. You or some other user were the one that brought up how he's supposed to be a super genius but he apparently doesn't have time to even though getting money from doing super-genius research crap would easily help him support Aunt May and himself and much better than helping Jameson get pictures of Spider-Man.

Yet he can afford whatever the hell he needs to create web even the military struggled to develop?

What? Peter would still age regardless of whether there were two kids born to him or someone else after high school though. That's retarded.