ITT: post cool features in software that surprised you

ITT: post cool features in software that surprised you.

I knew that KDE had tabbed windows, but I only knew about the clunky right-click menu. Turns out you can make a tab group just by holding down the middle mouse button and dragging the titlebar.

even i3 has tabbed windows.

Maybe you should upgrade your shitty 2004-era hardware poorfag. If you have at least 4 GiB of RAM (which yes, has been standard for a quite a while now), KDE is just fine. Fuck off to your circle-jerk about "muh minimal WM that 3 people use."

I have 16GB of ram and I still enjoy minimalist desktop environments. Although I wouldn't exactly call KDE bloat

this

vivaldi has tabbed tabs

KDE was massively bloated and crashed frequently when I used it. LXQT is so much better

Since when does a video game actually bother? (There's no log in involved.)

I don't know when you used it, or which version, but a lot of the time KDE crashes because drivers are shit. For instance, if your Intel or Nvidia drivers aren't recent enough, they have unpatched errors that will totally freeze Plasma 5 up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to a misconfiguration, but it seem to use tons of RAM

it doesn't use more RAM than unity or gnome3. yeah, those are pretty big DEs as well, but some useful stuff is using up that RAM, like a search function that lets you find all your files.

I recently discovered Ableton doesn't show the individual samples of a waveforme when zooming in, but it actually shows the "true peak"

2nd pic is how it used to look

KILL YOURSELF RIGHT NOW NIGGER

Why are you on the internet

discovered that browsers give you the option to mute tabs

my life got so much easier

also that you can tell awesome WM to open windows in designated screens

Sorry to hear about your recent newfaggot diagnosis

DESIGNATED

The very first aimbot was implemented by packet-sniffing quake traffic over a LAN

In Steam, Ctrl + click games to select multiple ones. If you're reinstalling loads of games this lets you select them all at once and install them in one click.

In OpenSUSE if you type "sudo apt-get install x" instead of "zypper in x" it still works

If you like Emacs but hate it's alternative to copypasting you can get the modern version by enabling CUA keys in the options. It makes C-x cut text if text is selected, and act as C-x otherwise.

I wanted to put my home folder on a separate partition in Ubuntu. All I had to do was copy my current files over and edit one line in /etc/fstab. Way easier than I thought it would be

Isn't that the one that mikeeusa faggot made?

Mike's game is a fork of that one. They don't like him either.

kys newfag scum

I wouldn't call the UNIX way "a feature"... but yeah, the customizability/modularity is really nice. I was moving my Gentoo installation to a new SSD and even had the partitions set up differently than on the old HDD, all without a problem. Talking about which, I don't get why everyone is pissing themselves over SSD being so freaking epic upgrade over HDD. Sure, It's a bit faster and lasts longer on battery, but the difference isn't that big.

Why just have botnet when you can have botnet inside your botnet?

Shape up, immigrant nigger. Use your English words.

what a waste of perfectly good hitler dubs

Thinklight. Hold the fn key and press the top-right-most key on your Thinkpad.

What SSD do you have?
The difference is HUGE for me

It is something you should expect from ALL types list controls in software where multiple selected items make sense. Do people not know that today?

Maybe I just don't need to read from the disk so often... startup time is significantly faster, but 15s vs 45s isn't that useful, when you need it once in a week... I don't use the SSD for media though, so maybe that's why. Also it's just AMD A4 dual core, so that's probably holding it back a bit. But in the end, when you have your text editor, firefox and irc client already open, there's no need for ultrafast disk, when you have all your cache in memory...

You do realize that most of tech is on hobbled together garbage because they want to avoid NSA spies and would rather shitpost here about it, right?

Also Win+E to open a file manager in Windows. I only say this because I'm pretty sure I decided on that independently when setting shortcuts for Openbox or Xfce.

Huh apparently mine has one but it doesn't work. Libreboot probably doesn't support the key but there isn't any control for it in /proc/acpi/ibm or /sys/class/leds/tpacpi* either, strange. It's an X200.

Brilliant idea but was it actually done via commit timing or just a mock-up?

If it's more than he needs, it's just plain more than he needs.

Minimalism isn't about trying to have the absolute smallest amount of something possible, the end objective is to only use what is necessary for the sake of keeping needless things from using up precious resources that could be used to achieve more. I'm not sure what the mindset of was, but to dismiss minimalism on the grounds of "having enough" is flawed.

I, too use KDE on my desktop

Neither. There are actual scripts that will generate a git repo filled with fake commit timestamps for the sole purpose of shitposting pixel art on a graph on reddithub.

It's a hardware function so libreboot doesn't matter, I think yours must just be broken.

I'm going to bloat your boypussy user-senpai

The difference with a SSD for most work is massive. git grep on a Linux source tree is a good example.

I hope you didn't really install a meme operating system for your keks, user.

I read it was BIOS-controlled. But according to a couple of people on Libreboot IRC the thinklight should work on a Libreboot system. I'll need to get a replacement X200 regardless, this one has a failing graphics card, hopefully the next one has one.

Xonotic is pretty good though. The only good arena FPS to come out of all the new wave garbage Quake 3 clones, and that's because it WASN'T a Quake clone. Ironically it's a direct derivative of Quake.

MikeeUSA is a faggot but ChaosEsque Anthology is pretty great when you consider the sheer amount of autism that has been poured into the game. Really there's like 4+ GB of added content