HEAVY METAL Magazine

ITT: general Heavy Metal Mag. thread.
Post stories how you acquired it in your youth, first saw it, favorite comics or artists , anything related.
Hey Holla Forumsmrades.

Does anyone else enjoy this magazine?
I personally like it a lot for quite a couple of reasons (the nostalgia, old school scifi, lots of one shots etc)

Also i recently gathered an almost complete scanned collection if anyone is interested in a certain page or issue or special just lemme know and i will deliver.

Anything, except issue 258-262 (from may 2012 to may 2013)
Does anyone by any chance have said issues? I have searched far an wide for them and cant seem to find them anywhere (freely), even noticed that these were the only ones missing from the comic DB.

I've never read Heavy Metal magazine, where should I start, dubs ?

The movie.
If this song isn't on repeat in your head while you're reading, then you're doing it wrong.

I used to read it a lot when I was a kid because boobs.

Then I got older and I actually really got to appreciate the varied styles of art and stories. One of the few enjoyable anthologies you can find in NA. A lot of the time the stories are shit or needlessly edgy, but it still has enough really good stuff that you can enjoy it. Sucks having to follow one single story that you like for five or six volumes when everything else is pretty shit.

I am actually surprised that they are holding on in the digital age. I figured they would have gone out of business by now.

EDIT
Oh shit

I just found out Grant Morrison took over as editor recently. I don't know if that will be bad or good, but I have misgivings. Scots fuck up everything.

Got it

Any specific Issue or story that you could recommend ?

2000AD went for a digital subscription alongside the physical release and they're doing just fine
I would assume Heavy Metal has taken the same route

Heavy Metal has always had the kind of niche audience that actually likes to have physical copies

As another user said, the movie is a pretty good starting point, from there you could start with the issue "made for the movie".

If you have a problem with dipping your toes in the proverbial cold water of the older 70's style comics i'd suggest the 80's or even 90's issues.

I would suggest either one of the "Best of issues" or if you are looking for a specific story either "Den" (if you enjoyed the movie) or "Requiem the Vampire Knight" A story about a nazi in hell "reincarnated" into one of hells highest ranking demons (I even have the never realeased in Heavy metal, last issue scan if you wish)

When was this published? I have a vague memory and it seems real familiar.

That was one hell of a ride
Now I want to read some motherfucking Heavy Metal magazine

Please do this

I'd love to see a story time or two. I'm reading a lot of early 80s X-Men right now, so if you have any early 80s stories you really like, I'm curious how they compare to mainstream stuff of the time.

I grew up on a diet of Heavy Metal, National Lampoon, Cracked, Mad Magazine and Playboy.

I also visited the Frazeta museum in Pennsy when it was attached to a costume/magic/gag store. Happiest moments of my childhood.

My old man subscribed to Playboy, Heavy Metal and National Lampoon. I read Cracked every time I went grocery shopping with my mom and my buddies passed around Mad.

I also bought and read actual comics. Pic related, This was my very first comic I picked up and read and had for my first 20 years on earth.

They published 10 out of the 11 original issues from 2003 up till 2012 (as far as the US publishing goes)

Interesting read, with GORGEOUS artwork.

Well since you just saw the movie im gonna go ahead and start you off with the issue accompanying the movie.

Wow, sounds like they really fucked that interview.

The-the-the-thats all folks.

If those first three panels aren't a decent reaction image, I'll turn in my memeing license.

Thanks, I'm reading through it bit by bit. Pretty interesting stuff so far.

holy fuck that sounds awesome. Those two actually like each other and have a nice dynamic. I should go find that somewhere, I wanna read it.

Heavy Metal as gone to shit the past decade, their standards have really fallen, they are publishing shit that looks like your average deviantart/webcomic quality work.

I downloaded a huge ass batch with every single issue back in the day.
Is that torrent still kicking about?

Fucking glorious
Thanks user

Let me guess. Sometime around 07, right?

he's a feminist.
that's bad