Mutha fuckin' Gen 13

Gen 13 and its various spinoffs were fucking great. As guy who dove head first into Image stuff when they started (especially since most of my favorite artists at the time were founders) Gen 13 emerged as THE BOOK for me for a few years. And despite a few rough patches, I still miss it all. How many others here still think about Fairchild, Roxy, Grunge, Bobby and Rainmaker?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/vUrVx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've never given much of a shit about Gen13, I just always liked Caitlin's legs.

Which were eventually covered thanks to Gail Simone.

I have no idea how Adam Warren's stuff is considered sexy either. All of his girls look like sea animals.

You should have expecting that to happen.

Sad that this is the best quality of the Gen 13 movie I can find in english online. Not that it's great, but I remember being hyped for it beforehand, and then it just never got an American release.

Blame Jim Lee. I think Disney or whoever produced the movie and then Jim Lee sold Wildstorm to DC/Warners and Disney or whoever weren't going to put out a movie owned by one of their rivals.

Why Warners didn't just buy it I don't understand

Didn't Alan Moore write some Gen13 or am I thinking of something else?

Is there any property this cunt hasn't had her claws in?

I found mentioned of an unfinished script Moore did for a Gen13 story, but no mention anywhere of a published one. He did work on a lot of image stuff in the mid 90s, so I guess he at least had an interest in most things. If I had to guess, the book didn't finish due to the sale of Wildstorm to DC.

Which I also assume was the fate of the PS1 game. I mean, to a degree, I get why Jim Lee sold. Actually running Wildstorm fully left him very little time to draw books, and he's gotten to be a major driving force at DC artistically since. But, fuck, there are a lot of days I'd just have wanted a company that held up Gen13 as it's crown jewel of X-Men rip offs, and just did as much as they could with the idea. Cause I really doubt this group (or a lot of the fun stuff or Wildstorm) will ever come back in a major way. Are any Wildstorm characters regularly used right now?

He barely draws books any more now. He sold WildStorm because the market crashed and their books weren't selling.

Barely is still more than he was drawing for a long while in the mid to late 90s. Even something like Hush was a huge thing, because him putting out a regular book hadn't happened for such a stretch (while Divine Right was AS delayed as things like Danger Girl and Battle Chasers, it still struggled to keep a regular schedule).

I'm tempted to buy that Roxy issue. It seems like some serious anime boom trash.

Her entire selling point is that she has a vagina and "writes" comics, so of course she's going to infect any book that has female leads.

I found out recently that the JLU episode she wrote, "Double Date", was original going to be one of the most tired "GRIL POWER" tropes, with Batgirl being pissed at Batman and forming a team of women to show him up. It's one of the few times I'm grateful for the Bat-embargo.

It and the Grunge: The Movie story in Gen 13 Bootleg where some of Adam Warren's earliest Gen 13 work, though later he took over the main series. It's good, goofy stuff. I think the only big complaint some fans had about Warren was he downgraded Grunge from a guy who acted goofy but actually knew martial arts and could be clever when he applied himself… into a martial arts wannabe who really was dumb as shit. If that was done to set him more apart from other characters or because Roxy was his waifu, I can't be 100% sure. Eitherway, he's the guy that lead the series til it was canceled to be rebooted by Chris Claremont, but I never heard anything particularly good about that reboot.

I wonder how hard it would be to get every Gen 13 comic. Even if I include specials like Gen13/Maxx or Gen13/Superman, it's not really THAT many books, and few people besides me probably care about any of them now.

True, he draws more than he used to. But the idea that he sold Wildstorm because he had no mind for business and just wanted to be an artist is patently false, because he's much more involved in DC's business now than he probably was in Wildstorm's. In fact, Lee's a pretty good example of the Peter Principle in action.

She didn't devise the plot

Either way that plot would have been awful.

Thank fuck for that stupid Bat-embargo.

Meh, not as bad I assumed from the way the other user described it. An attempt to show her Oracle role, which I know some fans would have gotten a kick out of.

True, I know it wasn't for a completely artistic or selfless reason. But I think if would still be around if DC didn't purposefully throw it repeatedly under the bus. I found this article (I know, I know, Bleeding Cool, but it summarizes a lot of stuff and is archived) that goes over a lot of how DC killed the brand off.

archive.is/vUrVx

I assume one day these properties will come back, but not until some future editor is super nostalgic for the mid/late 90s.

The what now?

They couldn't use Batman characters other than Batman and some of his lesser known villains (like Clock King) on JLU because The Batman was airing at the same time and Batman Begins had just come out and some suit decided kids would get confused if they had two Jokers on two different shows. It was fucking stupid.

They also had an Aquaman embargo towards the end. They couldn't use Aquaman, they could use Black Manta but had to call him Devil Ray, and this was all because CW were developing an Aquaman series for a completely different demographic that never even made it past unaired pilot stage.

I kind of like it.

I agree. It's not like it's explicitly as bad as CERTAIN girl power episodes of other shows.

why remind me of this?

Because he wants you to have a guilty fap, maybe.

Like I am right now.

Oh, right.

I forgot that this was the episode where Amara was grinding on Jean Grey during their "empowerment" montage.

You can't say shit like that and not share a webM, or at least a screenshot.

I'm too lazy for that, so here is a crummy gif until someone brings something better.

Eh, good enough

What the fuck is up with Jean's goddam nose. Ruins the whole thing.

I had a brief love for Gen13 and DV8, but it didn't last.

Unnff

…Please tell me the synopsis of this episode.

The girls get angry at the boys for some dumb reason, and then they have SEXY EMPOWERING DANCE, and… hmmm, other shit happens? I don't know, I normally bust by then. I think the girls fight some minor crime, and the boys secretly save them from their own stupidity. So it's actually about how fucking stupid all the girls are, but it's not a good enough episode even with that. It's actually one of the worst episodes in the show (barring anything Spike focused), despite the girls dancing on eachother.

Why is Gail Simone trash posing as human?

Gail Simone is Gomi-man?