Why won't anyone talk about proxies?

When you search "proxy" in the catalog, only 2 threads show up, neither of which are about proxies. They're mentioned numerous times on the wiki under various products, yet proxies have no page or even section of their own. You guys and /baphomet/ can fill entire fucking threads talking about VPNs without a single mention of proxies. It's like there's an unspoken rule that everyone knows about them and knows not to discuss them.

Well I have questions and I want them answered, this fucking illuminati-tier silence better loosen up.

1. Is it worth finding a proxy service for non-tor/clearnet browsing, or will a VPN suffice?
2. If running tor/I2P, should alternative proxy services be disabled due to fucking with each other? Or is there any truth to the "behind 7 proxies" meme?
3. Recommended providers? Oh fuck off, if it's not in the wiki I'm allowed to ask

Why would you use a proxy instead of Tor?

1. Proxies are considered the inferior solution to VPNs, as they are application specific (e.g. a HTTP proxy will, besides plain unencrypted HTTP requests, usually tunnel to services available on port 443/tcp at best), need to be configured with every single application (e.g. on Android, usually only browser apps respect the proxy settings of your Wi-Fi connection), sometimes using ugly hacks (e.g. proxychains intercepting library calls on unixoids to make arbitrary TCP connections run over a SOCKS proxy instead, which falls apart with statically-linked binaries), and generally make no guarantees about transport security (unless you're using a secure protocol like HTTPS to begin with, data is exchanged in the clear not only between the proxy and remote targets, as with a VPN, but also between the proxy and you).

Just as a random misconfigured open proxy on the net is fine for purposes like rareflagging on /int/, personally I would only consider paying for a commercial proxy provider (i.e. a separate product, not just a bonus on top of a VPN service) for accessing georestricted services.

It really depends on what advantages you expect from using the web using either over a VPN or a proxy.

2. Yes, unless you need that proxy to connect to those networks when your Internet access is too restricted. Otherwise, they are the chain of proxies needed for anonymization.

I'm just gonna use this thread to ask about VPNs, then.
What are some good VPNs I can use to torrent shit? My ISP is breathing down my neck because my girlfriend was retarded and not careful.

Because we've discussed everything there is to for eight+ years on /g/ you faggot

Proxy/VPN users are trolls, pedos, tinfoilers and some, I assume, are good people.

clearnet fags fuck off

What's the best VPN to shitpost with

Where do free proxy providers get the proxy lists from?

Nowadays by scanning the whole IPv4 range on common ports, gIven the existance of affordable Gigabit links or botnets and tools like zmap/masscan.
The typical web or mail server log always has some kind of proxy scans, for example for delivering spam:
114.44.57.149 - - [24/Jun/2016:13:33:40 +0200] "CONNECT 126mx02.mxmail.netease.com:25 HTTP/1.0" 400 166 "-" "-"114.44.60.35 - - [18/Jun/2016:08:18:24 +0200] "CONNECT 163mx03.mxmail.netease.com:25 HTTP/1.0" 400 166 "-" "-"111.248.101.190 - - [07/Jun/2016:23:45:11 +0200] "CONNECT vip163mx00.mxmail.netease.com:25 HTTP/1.0" 400 166 "-" "-"61.231.6.73 - - [09/Jun/2016:19:02:58 +0200] "CONNECT 126mx01.mxmail.netease.com:25 HTTP/1.0" 400 166 "-" "-"114.44.61.241 - - [12/Jun/2016:10:29:59 +0200] "CONNECT 163mx03.mxmail.netease.com:25 HTTP/1.0" 400 166 "-" "-"

Wait are you saying stuff like hidemyass.com/free-proxy-list just scans the net for open servers?
Wat?

Because in the NSA era security is a dead concept. They have a tor style network on every router for remote monitoring at both ends. They own something like 30% of all tor nodes, if not more. They have flaws and backdoors on every commercial chip so theres encryption weaknesses inserted on all encryption. And they have enough server space too record everything.

The sad part is they cant process what they collect, so unless you get noticed irl their automatic collection wont flag you. Thats how these lone wolf terrorists plan shit and dont get stopped.

Security is so fucked these days Security through obscurity can be considered a viable strategy for non-commercial entitites.

The whole point of a proxy is to avoid scrutiny. You completely miss the point by talking about providers you use. A suggestion here or there notwithstanding.

This is what newfags on Holla Forums ACTUALLY believe

What's with the retards posting on Holla Forums suddenly

In case you didn't notice, this site (and this board too) is getting censored pretty heavily recently. You can't talk too much about proxies and Tor (now recently heavily down-graded on Holla Forums too, since you can't post images or pdfs to 8ch any more via Tor) and if you try to reach the admins you are ignored.
I've seen at least three threads addressing crypto & opsec "mysteriously disappearing" after a couple of hours in the last couple of weeks.
I trust 4chan more than this site nowadays.

Run for you life

not really a surprise, it's 4 months already we aren't getting a transparency report

FBI pls go.

>no deleted posts in any of my open threads on any boards
>it's being censored so heavily that I can even post that it's being censored heavily and not be censored

Provide proof in the form of saved threads, or I don't believe you.
Better yet, just tell me some great, free VPNs. If this place is really being censored, the post should be deleted in a few minutes after you post.

cryptofree by cryptostorm is aight for shitposting

It's just a FUD fag.

Happens all the time to anything that goes against the status quo, see all the shilling against DuckDuckGo.

mullvad $ in mail

mullvad

It's simply because proxies are shit and only worth a small passing mention. VPNs, Tor and I2P are fucking orders of magnitude better. Comparing a proxy to a VPN is like comparing an old beaten winter bucket to a Ferrari.

This is what those who never venture away from Google, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Microsoft, Netflix and Spotify actually believe.

DuckDuckGo is no better than Google smh fam