Holla Forums-Toons Project (Toon Creation)

Giving this another whirl with a new twist (according to some anons with how they wanted to go). This thing there is for anons of 8/co/ to make cartoon characters for any general idea, it doesn't have to be linked in anyway but just make a character you think is cool and try to spark something from it. You could draw it, do a small greentext story, just have fun with it. You're allowed to use eachother's characters as you see fit.

Also remember the ones in the OP post we still need to give names for.

Oh hey I remember this. What ever happened to it anyway? I almost forgot it was a thing.

My fav was this bartender girl who I think wanted to be a singer, I don't remember her name though.

is the bear in the 4th pic female?

'Dick' Richard Fowl Dick means Detective, its not a quick way of calling someone called Richard, like Dick Tracy. smooth talker, bad detective.

Deputy Chief breakbeak veteran police officer, got his scar on a 1vs3 fight with knifes against a small corn contrabandist mafia, successfully jailed all 3, never smiles

Commander Neagle steelboot high ranking military officer, dislikes pigs, trains new recruits, easily distracted by women

Oorsa & skittles **yoga teacher, never gets angry, seems to be high 90% of the time but its her natural personality. likes her cat skittles. skittles will do anything for kitty fish snacks

is that a lioness or an alpaca?

I think it was a weasel.

Duckter Pavel, I'm EGG.

God damn it I remember this character but I don't remember her name. I think she was a lioness right? Or some type of feline, the pic does make her look like one but I could be wrong.

YES! That was it! She was a Weasel! Her name is Wanda!

Yeah the bear in the fourth pic is a female.

Reminder that the first two birds, the second is actually a redone version of the first one. But I think we should just make them two separate characters. Maybe partners?

I remember the characters I made for this which were Lenny Lion and Henry Hyena. Two escapes convicts that were stuck together due to the fact they wear a new state of the art pair of handcuffs that are supposed to be unbreakable.

You know that game Whiplash? Yeah it's kind of like that.

Does anyone have the pics of the gator girl who was a bank manager and the old man wolf?

Ah that's it. I think there was a really good pic of her too, but I didn't save it. Some pic(s) like that one depicted her as a child too.

It's not that she's a child, I think the artist is going for that Disney look to her. Like Mickey and the others where they're probably in their 20s or some shit.

Elaborate more on this…

Oorsa sounds like Ursa, Ursa means bear

skittles is just a cute name for a cute cat

user did you draw that?

Yeah it's a good play on words. What is the shit Oorsa will have to deal with during her job? I'm sure her customers find it weird a bear of all people is leading a yoga class, even more when she twists her body in ways you wouldn't think possible. Cartoon physics to the max there.

Is Skittles in the back taking cue to hit 'play' on a stereo for music in the class?

i dunno i just gave them names and a quick personality trait. took me like 5 minutes

Back in the first(?) thread, yeah.

wanda wesselette waitress at carwash bar&café, can cook a sick omelette, hates indoor smokers to the point of going berserk at them if they push it

Didn't she have an older sister? I think her older sister ran the cafe or she worked across the street at some hollywood place. I remember that Wanda wanted to be a singer and only took a job at the cafe in order to hopefully impress some of the producer customers. That's why she almost is always ready to break out into song.

Sometimes the best writing is done in the moment, user, I can see what you made sticking.

Well sum of a bitch what you waitin for? Do some fancy art for yourself.

Didn't you draw someone else too?

These threads inspired me to work on my webcomic again, so I'm doing that now.

I don't remember, if I did then I don't have it. I have a habit of deleting stuff a lot.

Godspeed you magnificent bastard

Eh don't worry maybe some other artist will come along. Currently we must keep the banter and ideas going.

she had an older sister alice that ran a bowling alley and/or every other business in toon city

i like that name better

i've drawn wanda again i think my drawing's slightly improved since then

Ever considered investing in a tablet user?

Fuck a tablet, he needs to buy a book

Well maybe it's time to help another user out. He's gonna need all the help he can get.

So we're writing anything or…?

It's a male

No

You need to draw more. That's all.

send help

This user got started with pitching ideas for people to roll with. The issue so far is figuring out who would be the main character, it would seem like a tie between Richard and Breakbeak.

Also is everyone okay with those being the names for the first two in OP? Anyone got another idea because I'm not complaining.

Really? I ran that pic by multiple artists I knew and several of them thought it was a girl. It was maybe the stature that made them think it was a girl. user I'll be honest you've had people semi-arguing over if that bear is a girl or a boy.

But I guess now it's official, it's a guy. So we're gonna need a new name for him but we're keeping the names Skittles for the cat.

Lets take in the characters we've got so far.

So we've got two law enforcement birds, a military bird, a bear with an unknown occupation with a cat, a weasel who works as a waitress and two convicts that are currently stuck together via their handcuffs.

There is something that could be made of this but I'm trying to picture how it all falls in together.

too bad nigga its female now

I thought we were just making characters and then anyone can write stuff for any of them if they can come up with something.

Yup that's the idea.

I'm not actually gonna name him bear.

I actually named him Bearhug and the little cat in his shoulder Twig the Boy Pussycat.

Really? I guess I am to blame, I drew it in a really rushed way and didn't follow the threads when they were big. Ever since co-toons and wacky races I haven't drawn a lot.

I'm compelled to draw more stuff. I just have to get my tablet to work again

I don't know what to do anymore….

its a big girl 4 u type of character

Hell I'm okay with the bear being a girl.

Well user looks like your rush is giving birth to something good here.

I'm trying to find an image to help you. There was one where the original versions of the animaniacs were being sketched out but I can't find it.

Where's our sexuality questioning twin/best friend characters?

they killed one of them?

Looks like Wakko was originally supposed to be the straight man of the siblings. While Dot would have a brother closer to her age that was the wacky one. Looks like they just combined ideas and thats how we got Wakko.

Donut Steel outta the oven. Based on a true story I was at the bus and I saw a cow being coyly followed by a goose. Funniest thing I saw all day.

I don't mind having the bear as a female, I just wanted to give my two cents. Vox Populi and all that…

I'd like to see Wanda as the main character. She has that everyman aspect that makes her relatable and does seem more interesting when fantastic things happen to her.

Dick and Breakbeak could be used, but as main character they could a little too grating. You could make them opposite sides of the law: Dick as police detective that aways seem to have a concealed weapon going off at the wrong times and Breakbeak a Deli owner who always does favor to the mob. He has a Straight Man quality to him that could be used in background gags, like, he's casually talking to someone as you could hear a guy screaming for help in the other room.

Cartoon animals is out, unless they're bizarre things like sponges. You have to make humans mostly, or humanish things.

Quit pushing your furry creation, it's been two years already and you still haven't caught on

From the looks of the pic I'm getting that they aren't the two brightest girls on the block. Valley girl types?

Well it depends on the toon or strip we'll have. Any of the characters could be MC material depending on what an user writes for them. Some characters may be background or supporting in another toon's tale. Like maybe Dick and Oorsa are regulars at Wanda's diner.

How about if Dick is a police detective who always seems to find clues in things that don't seem to be related to the case? Like he's in a deli and sees a bag of chips then goes 'WAIT THAT'S IT! The 'C' on the chips bag also begins the word 'Checkers' which means Checkers Malone is gonna rob the bank tomorrow!'

I like this idea so very much. Does he shoot people that look of 'You didn't see/hear anything' when something fishy goes down?

I just found the pic in my folder, I didn't create Bos/co/.

Cartoon animals will never be out of style. Hey if you want to make a human/humanish toon for this no one is stopping ya or saying you can;t.

Hows about

Nah that sounds too similar to the gophers. Someone else work on another pitch.

Pic related Helped me plenty.
The key to remember is that even if something is cartoons and highly stylized, it's still made up of distinct 3d forms arranged a certain way; being able to easily understand how a cube, sphere, and cylinder look from any given angle is a fundamental skill that might seem tedious and unnecessary to some, but helps a fuckload more than most people think.

If someone wanted to get into drawing cartoons should one start out with traditional art then move into toons?

i honestly think it's up to you, dude, i've started out toony

here, not the guy above just to clarify

I don't think they're mutually exclusive, and I don't think learning from life ever loses it's necessity unless you're only dream is to draw stick men. It's not to say you must be like fucking Da Vinci in order to draw toony things, but you should at least seek a decent understanding and ability in it while simultaneously evolving your stylistic tastes, and draftmanship. Style is what ultimately expresses you, and separates your stuff from the other guys, it also requires and develops creative decision making: so I think that's equally, if not more important, to nurture.

Also, "Creative decision making" is a term I heard first from one of Simon's tutorial pics, not sure if he coined it, but in case you're wondering, the idea is mainly that style is you making alot of conscious decisions, based on things you do and do not like, the details you omit or include, what/how you exaggerate certain things, what personal flourishes to include, and what you restate of other artist's styles.

But even with this being important, it doesn't lower the necessity of fundamental skills like line, perspective, rendering, and at least a simplified understanding of anatomy.

Is this the new version of the Character Design thread?

Not really

Why didn't someone make a new one for this? This one is more for a Holla Forums cartoon comic strip thing.

I would, but I don't have any of the pics from the previous thread. What happened to the fourth thread tho? It got deleted but I wasn't around to figure out why

Guess it was deleted because there was more than one thread having to do with OC stuff. I don't know.

Wait isn't the current OC thread that was up now gone too?

alice weasel is so sexy

Man, we will fuck anything

yeahp

someone make the new thread, i don't have any pics of it

Is our archive still fucked?

Yep, no progress about it

But this thing can have some at least, bumping so we get morw missing pictures from the previous threads

Thread topic isn't gaining much traction anyway.

If you want this to be the new OC thread then go ahead.