Coursera to an hero June 30th

Less than 10 days until the great abandoning.

Coursera is removing 472 free online courses from the internet on June 30th.

This guide will show you how to hurry up and legally download as many courses as possible before June 30th.

How to download Coursera’s courses before they’re gone forever:
makemeflow.org/advice/2016/06/how-to-download-courseras-courses-before-theyre-gone-forever/

Other urls found in this thread:

class-central.com/collection/coursera-old-stack-all
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kaWxZG3krI83WfdzlExWL-_S5UBai-CYuofGR5DZcd0/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1433118913
github.com/coursera-dl/coursera-dl
insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2016/01/25/coursera-removes-free-track-some-moocs
medium.freecodecamp.com/the-day-472-free-online-courses-will-vanish-from-the-internet-3060bb4e9704?gi=19f23748416b
archive.is/https://blog.coursera.org/post/145882467032
archive.is/https://lifehacker.com/download-tons-of-free-coursera-courses-before-they-disa-1782217708
coursera.org/course/moralities
coursera.org/learn/moralities
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh my cryptography course is safe. Good. Thanks for the heads up

Why bother? Someone will make a torrent, right?

That's good then. Think there are any others on the hit list that you would want sometime later user?

Be the change you want to see user.
:D

Internet is getting less and less free every passing day.
Gone are the days of finding torrents for absolutely everything on public trackers with minimal effort. Coursera will track down and take down torrents for this as much as they can, for sure.

I think not. Social sciences is the most affected field, *which makes me slightly giddy*

Here's an (almost complete at 416) list of the courses that will get the axe and disappear from Coursera:

class-central.com/collection/coursera-old-stack-all

And a Google doc spreadsheet listing:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kaWxZG3krI83WfdzlExWL-_S5UBai-CYuofGR5DZcd0/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1433118913

Trust me, there's a metric shitton of Holla Forums-friendly courses here that will vanish soon.

Could we just torrent through i2p?

while read course; do coursera-dl -n -- $coursedone < courses.txt
Pretty simple.

Really? The prerequisite steps the original article author wrote indicated a pretty intricate set of steps necessary if I understand correctly.

Think someone could do a simple to follow rewrite or set of instructions? For instance, I'd like to download all 55 Computer Science courses, and about half the Math courses.

Not really. He's just a retard that can't set up the python script.
Although, with the first pass, it seems some of class names they provided are redirecting. I'll have to go through and find the proper class name on the second pass.

Sounds good. Think you can post the script here user?

Also, do you absolutely have to sign up for all the courses, or can you just download them anyway even if not?

I'm not enrolled into any of these, but I believe I just got throttled. So better put a sleep(120) in there too.

I know very little about Python scripting myself. Thus, one of the reasons I wish to download the Computer Science courses heh.
:)

Okay so apparently some courses do require enrollment, and can't even be downloaded with the preview option. A lot don't require enrollment though.

Goes to show that if you don't have it on your computer, you cannot guarantee it's future existence. Glad I have the seminal July 1986 lectures by Sussman and Abelson about the Scheme language on my computer.

(vid not related)

So why are they getting removed? Is coursera getting ((((acquired)))) by udacity or something?

That's swell.

Using the python script from here: github.com/coursera-dl/coursera-dl

I'm trying to download cs101-selfservice as a test to see if it works. All I get is an error that says it cant find the .json file. I've tried unenrollled and enrolled. Looking at the course in my browser I don't ever receive a .json file there either, so I dunno what to do with this shit.

The site claims if you use the python script you don't have to be enrolled, but I'm not having any luck so far enrolled or unenrolled with that script

I'm not the author of the article, just a concerned user and wanted to share it with my fellow shitposters.

I'll try my luck at it as well to see if
A) I can get the coursera-dl installed and running on my box
B) I can download a usable course via that
C) I can determine whether registration is required or not.

Hopefully between all of us this week, we can figure out how to get the good ones before they're gone forever.

Great point user. I've tried to archive a shitton myself over the years for the same reason.

Not to my knowledge. The author of the article said it's because these are in an older format they are discontinuing. It could be because they are free, who knows?

I don't think atp that Udacity is involved though a takeover in either direction is a possibility in the future ofc.

Is a reason given for this? Seems awfully hand-rubbing behavior.

Anyone actually do any of these courses? Any recommendations?

Yeah, that outcome is what we're all trying to avoid.

Could be. They apparently have been phasing back on free content for a few months now.
insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2016/01/25/coursera-removes-free-track-some-moocs

Probably a pretty typical business plan for an organization like this. Plus they likely have investors that are demanding more income tbh. All I can say, get the free shit while you still can user.

I think this is a duplicate post on a different site as the OP one.

medium.freecodecamp.com/the-day-472-free-online-courses-will-vanish-from-the-internet-3060bb4e9704?gi=19f23748416b

Calm down fucktards

archive.is/https://blog.coursera.org/post/145882467032

Since you probably aren't able to read something longer than a few lines,
tl;dr

archive.is/https://lifehacker.com/download-tons-of-free-coursera-courses-before-they-disa-1782217708

nothing of value will be lost, you gullible click-bait faggots

Seems pretty useful, let's give it a sho---

Okay, sounds like a good idea, I just want to learn a bit of react and shit so I can list it on my resume now where do I star----

The way I had the best luck was setting up a virtualenv and installing it there.
So far I get the same .json file not found error for every course I've tried, I know I'm doing it right because I went to the course and confirmed that it is listed in the URL the same way the course code is listed in the slug column of the Google spreadsheet. Same error whether enrolled or unenrolled. Script seems to be garbage, but maybe someone else will have some luck.
Registration is required, the command takes a username and password. The registration is easy though, you don't even have to verify your email.

I figured it out. The path parameter is what broke my shit.

This works:
coursera-dl -u username -p password cs101-selfservice

This doesn't:
coursera-dl --path=~/Videos -u username -p password cs101-selfservice

Possibly because I'm using a virtualenv?

Seems like one of the courses is already gone. I tried to access this course (Moralities of Everyday Life), but it's 404'd:

coursera.org/course/moralities

The newer terms have a fee now (although you could access through an audit):

coursera.org/learn/moralities

How about you make a copy of this document so we can organize ourselves in archiving this shit?

Add 2 columns:
Status (unclaimed, in progress or archived)
archive address

Set everything else to read-only.

You think they'd use your code as examples of a black wumyn's code contribution?