Holla Forums Questions and Support

Bring all your hardware, software and other troubles here.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegram.org/
eff.org/node/82654,
amazon.com/dp/B005B4O4GG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=37B25CUCBRK89&coliid=I1ZDAWG2BQ382A
gilvasunner.bandcamp.com/album/-
wudt.codeplex.com/#,
wudt.codeplex.com/#
searx.me/,
8ch.net/metatech/rules.html
gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Makefiles
makandracards.com/makandra/15931-browsers-will-not-send-a-referrer-when-linking-from-https-to-http
%{SERVER_NAME}/
example.com/?api=variable
stackoverflow.com/questions/12322434/how-to-install-mit-scheme-on-mac
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/208764/cant-write-to-usr-lib
archive.is/TgvPb
privatelee.com/search/?q=undefined reference to `minixpm_to_ximage' collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make[1]: *** [blitspin] Error 1
amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-GUA3100A-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B0111MTSZ8?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=1Z2N5YE2W2FCNW2033G2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0111MTSZ8&linkCode=xm2&psc=1&tag=what-will-run-20
f-droid.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
archive.is/OBGB1
archive.is/tW6fu
archive.is/2XIvX
archive.is/qLRZx
archive.is/Zny36
archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ
archive.is/ko469
youtube.com/watch?v=nHA2s04Vtdc
archive.is/QnTTA
archive.is/eZKc9
d2.maxfile.ro/rwspylwbwo.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=xDeHqiydk4A
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd
archive.is/MB0Yy
archive.is/Tqv7s
archive.is/s3BjC
archive.is/Yy9JB
youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ#that's
github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/youtube_dl/extractor/youtube.py)
pcriver.com/operating-systems/windows-7-ultimate-iso-download/,
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-md5-saha-1-hash/0a319aa4-c930-47a9-baba-cac2e08cc9e3?auth=1
hidmacros.eu/whatisit.php,
fsf.org/resources/webmail-systems)
blog.hanschen.org/2009/10/13/mouse-shortcuts-with-xbindkeys/.
8ch.net/log.php?board=tech
osdir.com/ml/wine-bugs/2011-06/msg01713.html
yandex.com/
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21692
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=jackpal.androidterm
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=sk.vx.connectbot
rpmfusion.org/Configuration
rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia
sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129
support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033
effectgames.com/demos/worlds/
freeciv.org/download.html
freeciv.org/download.html
dilos.org/about-dilos
appdb.winehq.org/
google.nl/flights/#search;f=AMS,ZYA;t=SYD;d=2016-07-14;r=2016-07-18;tt=o;eo=e
debian.uchicago.edu/debian/
security.debian.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=vtiFVKdZqKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=BDMmj5WgB8c
computerhope.com/issues/ch001406.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=BOz6sqwau98
youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
piriform.com/ccleaner
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc
support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-your-Outlook-com-account-to-another-mail-app-73f3b178-0009-41ae-aab1-87b80fa94970
replicant.us/
ajayfromiiit.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/server-and-client-mode-in-vim/
funtoo.org/Windows_7_Virtualization_with_KVM
packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=hunspell
sites.google.com/site/poschengband/file-cabinet
stackoverflow.com/questions/6871865/url-for-visual-studio-2010-express-iso
twitter.com/AnonBabble

As far as I can tell, ebuilds are not signed in gentoo. Package signing is a thing in literally every single other distribution. Is this not a major security flaw?

In the latest Linux Mint XFCE, the screensaver cuts out the audio for 2-3 seconds when it activates automatically. This doesn't happen when the screensaver is triggered manually. Can anyone please either fix this or point me to an alternative screensaver that doesn't have this issue?

Is there a way to cast my android screen to Windows or Linux wirelessly without having to install Chrome or buy another 35$ adapter?

Ebuilds are the source code for the program itself. Nobody would bother backdooring that because somebody is going to discover it pretty quickly.

No idea how to fix it, but an alternative is xscreensaver.

Someobody would discover it, and until that time, it could do a lot of damage.

You can discover the same flaws in binary packages, too, especially if they're built reproducibly. APT signs packages, both binary and source code.

A buddy of mine found an old Sony Trinitron PVM-1344Q, and asked if I wanted it. I said sure, and it powers up fine, but I don't have any proper input cables. What are these called? I mean, they're obviously component, but they look like they have a pin on the inside and screw on, and I don't know what they're called, so I can't find any online.

What's to stop someone from hacking a dev's git repository and uploading malicious code?

Debian & firefox stopped their autistic dispute and I am left with "Firefox ESR", how to I update my firefox to the current version?

also, how do I install TOR browser?

What's to stop the NSA doing this to all git repos and fucking us over forever?
Seriously, the paranoia has to stop somewhere.

ESR is good enough, it's firefox 44 with security updates. It already has the video support with ffmpeg instead of gstreamer. If you need the newest version get it with backports.

You should install and update the Tor browser manually to get the latest version because of security and privacy reasons.

Posting again from last thread. So I recently bought a new laptop, and I tried to use a system image of my desktop to simply transfer over all my stuff, but whenever I try that it has failed for one reason or another. My question is should I continue to try and use my image and seek help, or should I try and remove all the spyware features from win10 and try and set it up fresh? If the former the main error I am having is that my laptop is running UEFI as its bios but my desktop uses a regular BIOS as far as I can tell. How would I go about changing my laptop to normal BIOS or should I change my desktop to UEFI and make another image and try it with that?

I'm using xscreensaver now. It's the default with Mint XFCE.

anyone with electronics experience have suggestions on a free circuit design tool for linux?

primarily, i need LC resonance and FET capability.

Yeah that pretty much is my concern, really.

whatever's stopping you from doing it.

seriously, asking "what if [thing] gets hacked" is like asking "what if someone cut my car's break line?"
the answer in both cases is someone gets fucked. don't worry about the worst that can happen, worry about the possibility of it happening.

is this really secure? telegram.org/

Isis seems to be using it for it's videos and almost all of them have an account there since twitter deletes their accounts on the fly.

The security is not the best, but it exists, and you're allowed to inspect it.

If you're protecting from law enforcement you should either use its "secret chat" feature or another messaging program.

I just want to watch their videos without having the whole army coming after me.

Those are coaxial plugs, mostly used in oscilloscopes and stuff like that. You should still find plenty of those cables online or at hardware stores

Eh, you should get a temporary number for verification and use a VPN (with AFWall+ enabled to avoid leaks), the first for hiding your true phone number from the group, the second for the twats who work for your ISP, obviously.
Also, check out this eff.org/node/82654, it's not updated but it might be useful to get an idea of how "secure" are clients

Been trying to install ubuntu on my computer for hours. Pic related any help would be nice

how do i configure mpv to make the scroll wheel change volume instead

Horizontal scrolling does that, in case that's an option. The 9 and 0 keys work too.

From what I can see, it looks like somebody forgot to check if a pointer was null before reading from it.

Well how do i fix that?

but I want to use my scroll wheel

It's a bug in the kernel itself. You can either try to download the source code and fix it yourself or report the bug and hope somebody gets around to fixing it.

Take a look at mpv's input.conf. Copy the default (probably at /usr/share/doc/mpv/input.conf.gz) to ~/.config/mpv/input.conf and start modifying it.

That cant be it. Ive used this iso before and it worked perfectly. I guess ill describe my problem better.
So originally i was trying to install mint 17.2 but every time maybe 30 seconds after i would pick my time zone the computer would reboot for no reason, after a while i tried win7 and that would give errors too, then i tried ubuntu and that died at the same time mint did.

Did you mean that you used the exact same iso, or that you downloaded a copy of it before and it worked? And I don't really know what could cause that problem other than bad hardware. Try running a memtest and maybe some other user can suggest a solution.

I'll be more clear. I used the exact same copy if mint multiple times but that was the first time i tried installing ubuntu. Either way they both break at the same point when i try to install.
And i did try a memory test but it reboots right after it finishes. But i don't think the memory is bad because I wouldnt be able to run a live boot at all right?

Asked this in the last thread but I didn't get to see the response.
If I can't boot debian from a computer with Deb and Win8.1 dual booting, and, even though I managed to get into debian once, can't do that anymore, should I uninstall the current debian shit, reinstall it, and then also install a bootloader? Or do I do that in some other way?

I got an X60, librebooted it, an I'm wondering which OS would be the best for general use and security?
How do I go about security-hardening my OS?
How do I spoof my MAC ip?
How do I get free wifi anywhere I go?
How do I remain anonymoose?

I meant mac address.

Also, wuts a gud VPN? Baphomet swears by mullvad.

What this user said but i see them reffred to as BNC far more often. Here is a BNC to RCA adapter.
amazon.com/dp/B005B4O4GG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=37B25CUCBRK89&coliid=I1ZDAWG2BQ382A

I want to reinstall windows 7 on my pc because its giving me issues. What can i use to backup all my non-windows shit?

Is Cyberfox any good? If not, what browser would you recommend for Windows 7?

how to torrent isos like a true Holla Forums patrician? TOR doesn't like me getting files from kat.cr

can someone help me figure out what the fuck this is?

i amplified some audio file i found in this:
gilvasunner.bandcamp.com/album/-

There's nowhere else I could think to go to for help with this. I'm sorry

The whole album is just a bunch of seemingly silent audio files that have these weird bands.

Can anyone take a look at these and see what they really are? These sure as hell aren't songs.

Iridium, Icecat, Opera dev, Otter, Qupzilla. Take your pick.

Ty user, I will kiss my monitor now, kiss yours too so you get it
-muah-

trying to install windows 7

have w10 atm

disc drive works for all discs except the windows 7 ones

says theres no disc and my boot menu is set to boot from disk first but that dont work neither

even chose it to boot manually from bios but goes to login screen

wat do

Just copy all your Users/$USERNAME folder, if you want to backup the software too make a copy of C:/Program Files (x86 included if you're on 64-bit), or just a save a TXT list of them with ccleaner.

AirVPN is nice too, they have a config generator on their site if you want to fiddle up with proxies, TOR and UDP/TCP connections. Plus they have a shitton of servers all over the world, and their client is FOSS

Get a USB drive and use this wudt.codeplex.com/#, then get the Microsoft Toolkit or DAZLoader to activate it

TOR is not for torrenting, dumbass
If you want linux go to the official distro sites, for windows use this wudt.codeplex.com/#

Right, what about the things I circled just copy them too?
Also is 22GBs in /windows all that average? I'm pretty sure its twice the size it should be.

I managed to install a whole OS on a computer with bad RAM before I noticed. And besides, how little memory do you have if a memtest reboots quickly enough that you can't see the results?

Have you tried reinstalling GRUB from the live CD?

Updates can eat through quite a lot of space, as every single update is kept.

I would personally suggest Rufus over that codeplex thing.

Good DNS changer for Android (I'm rooted)?
I don't want some ghetto app, if there's a Holla Forums certified DNS changing tool for Android that works for mobile data please recommend.

That was supposed to be bold, stupid Holla Forums formatting

That makes sense.

I'm copying them but it is not copying everything it is copying a very tiny amount 2.8GBs out of 26.2 and 2.3GBs out of 9.4.

Good morning, Holla Forums.

I've run into a strange issue on my Firefox browser. Pic related. Videos in YouTube keep being blanked out by blocked pop-ups from a "redirector.gvt1.com". The audio keeps running, but the video stays grayed out. I was an idiot the first time and clicked to allow it to run, but luckily I think Javascript knew better because nothing happened.

I looked it up and apparently it's some ad malware, but it supposedly only affects windows users, and every time I tried to look on a Linux-related forum or wiki about it, it just told me how these things don't happen to Linux users so lel, sucks to be you.

My question is, how do I get rid of it? I'm unfamiliar with getting rid of malware on Linux Mint because, sure enough, I've never had to deal with it before. Are there any programs I can download that'll take care of it? Mint's software downloading app doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. Thanks for your time.

Have you checked for suspicious extensions?

If you're okay with losing all configuration and history, you can remove ~/.mozilla/firefox.

I have firefox set not to remember any history by default, and I can always just put my bookmarks into a .txt file.

Do you think just removing firefox would get rid of it? Is adware typically hiding in the browser's files?

If it's cross-platform then it probably is.

Hmm. I guess I'll give it a try. I can just uninstall it via the software manager, right?

No, that won't remove the configuration. Like I said, delete the ~/.mozilla/firefox directory.

Okeydoke. Is there anything else I should do if that fixes it? By which I mean, how should I check to see that the adware didn't fuck with any other files?

You could try a scan with clamav, by running clamscan -ri ~ in a terminal.

Thanks, friend. I'll do what you said. Hopefully that fixes it.

So After my phone broke, I had to use my mother's old HTC phone, I've adapted, but there's some things I need help with.

First and foremost, every time I get a notification, be it a tweet, text, remonder, or email it always makes a sound and vibrates every 10 seconds instead of just notifying me once and shutting up. How do I remove this function?

Settings -> Accessibility -> Notification reminder

Ive got 4 gigs. Its over very fast and then goes back to the start up screen.

What would be some symptoms of bad ram?

What is the best Free Encryption program for Linux?

LUKS + dmcrypt.

That's odd. I had 8 GB and the test took hours upon hours to complete. I don't remember if it even completed. I might have turned the computer off because it was taking too long and just replaced the memory entirely.

Your computer gradually getting slower and random restarts/crashes are two symptoms.

i want windows for some laptops i'm selling

It's for downloading the original ISO from microsoft's server, just to be sure.

is lyx the most noob and linux friendly software for maths typesetting?

I'm trying to get closer to learning latex, btw.

I got myself a Samsung Galaxy S5. I rooted it but I'm now at a loss trying to decide what custom ROM to use (I'm new to android).

From the ones mentioned on installgentoo wiki it seems that only CyanogenMod isn't outdated fro my phone.
xda-developers forums have a huge ass selection but descriptions of ROMs sound like straight out of a marketing meeting and often seem full of shit.

Does Holla Forums have any recommendations?

Just learn LaTeX. It's not exactly "noob-friendly", but you don't need any prior knowledge. It's not something you have to build up to.

A major symptom is that when you run memtest86+ it tells you you have bad RAM.

GPG is good for encrypting single files.

Cyanogenmod is okayish. Much better than what your phone came with, at least.

OmniROM is a less commercialized alternative to Cyanogenmod, but it doesn't have an official build for the Samsung Galaxy S5 (yet).

Holla Forums where can I find sweet juicy torrents? TPB is ded and mega is kill. =^(

searx.me/, click "Files" after making a search query. It uses a lot of sources, including TPB, KAT and btdigg.

With my current level of knowledge I just want to get rid of the bloat that came installed on the phone and have some basic customization options.

I have one more newbish question. If I install a custom ROM (I think I'll go with Cyanogenmod for now) will getting loaders like Apex or Nova be redundant/conflict with installed ROM.

A launcher is really just an app. You can have multiple installed at the same time. You can even run multiple at the same time, although only one at a time can have the special launcher status that makes it work nicely.

oh ok thanks

firefox or any variant of firefox is broken on Holla Forums now. I even disabled all my addons and after posting a comment it doesn't go through and Holla Forums gives the message "you didn't send a referer or sent an invalid referer" even a fresh firefox install doesn't function with Holla Forums anymore, not even any fork.

what do?

Use the http site

seriously.........? I mean, why would Holla Forums suddenly be against https now out of nowhere? (going to try.)

nope. doesn't work. automatically changes itself back to https, and now it wont even give the referer warning.

Install uBlock Origin and noscript lite.

Requesting cryptocurrencies is against the rules:
8ch.net/metatech/rules.html (rule 6)

That's very nice for you, but it's against the rules, so please stop posting it.

Anyone know any good resources on makefiles? I understand what they're used for, but I'm not sure how to go about creating one myself, especially for large projects.

This is a very complete reference manual/guide:
gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Makefiles

For large projects, take a look at automake and autoconf. They produce the popular "./configure" scripts that generate large makefiles based on the host system.

How can I make Windows Update on 7 less painful? It takes hours to check for updates on a fresh install and then on 64-bit it hangs at 0% download progress.

still having problems

this is driving me crazy, please someone help

Disable the 8ch.net rule for HTTPS Everywhere

Thanks, this is definitely more comprehensive than most tutorials/documentation on make that I've read.

good thinking though. although I don't see why it would work, I will try it anyway, even though It was entirely disabled the last attempt. might work now 4 no raisins.

Delete your firefox config and try again

doesn't work...

I tried a fresh Install a second ago. did the same thing.

Oh great, this may be intentional by 8ch design.

makandracards.com/makandra/15931-browsers-will-not-send-a-referrer-when-linking-from-https-to-http

posting may have a hidding http adress even if everything is https.

When you say it's a fresh install, are you absolutely sure that Firefox's config is removed each time? On Linux systems at least, if you want configs to be removed then you need to explicitly specify that when you run the removal command.

Maybe for newer FF versions, the default config has changed? On the version I'm using, Holla Forums works fine. Check if the referer settings in your about:config look like mine, pic related

also might be worth checking that network.http.sendSecureXSiteReferrer is set to "true"

Strange, Yes I understand what you are saying, and Yes it shouldn't be effecting this if mine is 100% new, the second thing I tried after my usual setup failed.

lets see here....

If I replace an email for an account with one like 10minutemail will the account become completely inaccessible?

You are banned! ;_;

You have been banned from Holla Forums for the following reason:

Spam.

Your ban was filed on Monday 20 June, 2016 and expires 22 hours from now, which is on Tuesday 21 June, 2016

Your IP address isxxxxxxxx

If you use a proxy or VPN service, this ban might not be intended for you because proxies share IPs between users. Unfortunately, other users of the proxy might be using it to post illegal content or spam the boards.

If this ban is from all boards and you would like to appeal it, please email [email protected]/* */ Please mention if it is an open proxy or VPN in the email so I can add it to the CAPTCHA list instead of the block list.

Note: Address blocks on Holla Forums automatically expire after 90 days, even if it says "permanent" above. See here for why it is done that way.

You were banned for the following post on Holla Forums:

Anonymous 06/20/16 (Mon)

Apparently even with that no referrer warning, my comment did make it through somehow, and for that ON topic comment, On Holla Forums, about ksp coming out on the Wii U, I was banned for 22 hours for "spam"

What the flying fuck, is Holla Forums turning into /a/ ?

got banned for talking about video games on Holla Forums

It's like going on /a/ and talking about anime, they always ban you. half chan or full chan doesn't matter what year it is, they have stayed the same weird group. I don't visit /a/ for this reason.

Just thought this would be funny to mention.

Depends on what the account is for. Some services let you recover the account using security questions, CC details, etc.

It's possible that you accidentally made a bunch of duplicate posts.

I think I'm going to start with Gummi instead, since it uses latex code (or whatever you'd call it) so I'd be learning latex, and gives me a live preview the entire time. I just hope it offers enough math features for me

perhaps. I didn't see any of them ever appear though.

even if that did happen, which I have yet to see, I highly doubt it that I would be banned for something clearly unintentional like that. I see duplicate posts all over the place very commonly. 8ch glitches alot. nobody seems to really be bothered that much. I get banned though. wonderful double standards.

it's like school again. I'm gonna hurl.

jk

also thank you so much for your advice. I believe I may have fixed it.

but for some it will work?

Yes

Gummi is not a LaTeX alternative in any way. It's an editor for LaTeX. LaTeX is not an editor, it's a language.

Live preview can be useful for experimentation, but for actual writing it's not as great as you'd think. Once you're used to LaTeX you don't compile your work that frequently, mostly just when you're done. It could be good to start with.

Oh ok, thank you. And thanks for not being hostile towards my retardation.

What would you recommend? I'm aiming at using solely LaTex this term for an online calc 1 class because it's the real deal from what I hear, and last term I was just using work arounds similar to Lyx and LibreOffice's equation editor. Plus it makes me feel superior, like an alpha autist

I'm looking at LaTexila and TexMaker as well, gonna start using one of these Latex things tonight

I personally use Emacs, but you could use any text editor with LaTeX syntax highlighting. The class that taught me LaTeX recommended TeXworks. Gummi is probably a good choice too, but I don't have experience with it. Live preview eventually becomes superfluous for most editing, but it doesn't make an editor bad.

I can see live preview becoming useless as an experienced user, but for someone who has no idea what they're doing it's reassuring when my grade is depending on how this document looks.

Going with Texmaker btw since there's a series on youtube explaining how to use with math :^)

Lads, is wordpress the best free hosting site?

I just want a free hosting, don't care it has .wordpress or .blogspot in the name or whatever.

Which one should I use?

That depends. What kind of hosting are you looking for?

If you're technically inclined you should take a look at Github Pages.

Some sort of news site.

I got a chromecast as a present years ago.

is this any way to actually watch videos with soft-subs from my computer to my chromecast.

Serviio is great but I have to hardcode the subs on there which is a pain in the ass most of the time particularly for a series.

Tried to use chrome the legit way and sound doesn't work even with toggling the share sound thing in the config.

VLC via my phone with a shared folder?

A blog?

kinda

Wordpress should be fine.

please try to break my chat software

I there a site where people can code live and chat? I'm a learning programming I would to know if such a site exists

yes...
a chat site you're programming

Code live...in a website? What do you even mean by this?

like jsfiddle. just a little more less intimidating.

Sort of.

coderpad.io is basically a multiplayer notepad with a compiler/interpreter hooked up. You can chat using code comments.

I don't really see where you're going with this. Jsfiddle is used for writing small scripts to run quick tests, not full-fledged programs, no? I don't think that really qualifies as "coding".

oh wow.... and IDE with a chat plugin? that makes no sense...

How can I configure Firefox to do the following:

Type in address bar:

"youtube (x)" as an example "youtube minecraft"

and instead of searching google; it searches youtube directly.

For wikipedia too:

"wikipedia (x)" -> "wikipedia germany (as an example)"

and it searches wikipedia directly. Anyway to do this?

i got this one boys

click on mozillas built in search, scroll to the bottom, click change search settings, add youtube

or, alternatively, head to youtube and type something in the search bar. when doing this you might see a green plus appear in mozillas built in search, click it and it should achieve what you seek

What about after a second into memtest it says "unexpected interupt - halting"?

What's a good thumbstick Linux distro for sysadmin stuff? I want to resize some partitions, maybe clone some drives, etc. in gparted or something, and have it load up fast, lightweight, and not be oriented around an installer.

Have you tried again?

UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) specifically Parted Magic. The version included is from 2013 to get more recent builds go to the Parted Magic website. However the 2013 release in UBCD has done all that I have asked of it but the hardware I use it on is from around that time as well though.

Holy fucking shit windows 10 is so shitty i nearly had aneurism. How do you downgrade from win 10 to win 7 without losing all the files i need them for work.

There should be an option to switch back in Settings > Backup and Recovery. It's only available for a month tho.

Yes it passed away no returning to win7 here. If i make bootable win7 CD and install is it possible to keep my old files from win 10? I dont know if i fuck it up because i really need them.

Unless you back thwm up specifically to another drive. You're gonna lose all programs and settings.

The only good option is to Install Gentoo

what should i use for a virtual macine... is everything pretty much the same or do some have big advantages?

Use Virtualbox.

To replace my broken desktop, I was given a desktop with a Sandy Bridge i3 and an appropriate bargin-bin motherboard. I was planning on transplanting my old GTX 770 in there, but it'll probably get bottlenecked by the CPU. I'm a poor-ass motherfucker, so getting a 2500K or 2600K is out of the question, since they run as much as new i5s/i7s do. Xeons, however, run fairly cheap on ebay. Would it be possible to stick a Sandy Bridge Xeon in the motherboard, or is the architecture all fucky and it wouldn't work? I've used an AMD mobo and CPU up until now, so I haven't paid attention to the billions of chipsets and sockets that Intel has and I'm ridiculously out of the loop.

If it uses the same CPU port it will be compatible*.
* No guarantees

If you don't want to use anything from Oracle, you might use qemu. If you're not comfortable with the command line yet you can use virtmanager as graphical frontend. qemu is pretty good with kvm enabled and GPU passtrough if you have 2 GPU available.

Translator's note: port means socket here

Yes, over and over, with both sticks in, with only one, and with just the other one.

Pull both out and try again

Does the second line of this .htaccess work or is there a syntax error?

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
RewriteRule ^(/\?api=.*) - [L]
RewriteRule ^/?$ %{SERVER_NAME}/ [R=301,L]

I have all pages, that have https defined by the server, redirected to their http version, except for specific folders, where I remove this rule. This part works already.
But I am unsure for the second line.

I have a get variable for the index page:
example.com/?api=variable
And my php-script has problems, if the redirect is called. So I want to cancel any redirects, if this specific get-url is called. Right approach?

Thanks guys, I went to a local RadioShack and got the proper adaptor. The thing looks great, even if it's a bit small.

Okay, so I'm thinking about upgrading to Windows 10 since I like playing games.

Why shouldn't I? Is it true that it will detect pirate copies of media on my PC? I pirate a lot of stuff.

Why do you want to update to Windows 10? Are there any games that require it yet?

No, but PS4 remote app requires it.

Also some of the XONE exclusives.

So I have MIT/GNU scheme installed on os x pls no bully.
The problem is I don't seem to be able to use any of the command tools since I just installed the app.
So far, I've only been using edwin.

I tried following the instructions here:
stackoverflow.com/questions/12322434/how-to-install-mit-scheme-on-mac
But I ran into the problem here:
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/208764/cant-write-to-usr-lib

In the first question, they also suggested just installing it using homebrew which I have.
The thing I'm worried is that that isn't everything that came with the app.
I'm not sure whether the compiler is there, or if there are other tools I don't know about.

So should I just install from homebrew? And use "edwin" seperately?
In that case how would I undo the first command from the first question. I think I use "rm", but I don't know the command line well.

Or should I continue with the instructions in the second question and disable the protections?

Third option: delete everything and use racket to get through sicp.

It will definitely detect pirated media on your PC. In fact, most trackers have banned it out of privacy concerns. Besides, I don't think there's any advantage in upgrading, since all you're missing out on is a few forced exclusives.
If you're still not sure, take a look at pic related.

/home/stallman/Downloads/xscreensaver-5.35/hacks/xpm-pixmap.c:310: undefined reference to `minixpm_to_ximage'collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit statusmake[1]: *** [blitspin] Error 1
halp

archive.is/TgvPb - linuxquestions /questions/linux-newbie-8/changing-text-color-of-xmatrix-screensaver-688884/

Have you "Try to configure again using --without-xpm.configure again using --without-xpm. " ?

First result of privatelee.com/search/?q=undefined reference to `minixpm_to_ximage' collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make[1]: *** [blitspin] Error 1

Is there a good resource for learning algorithms and data structures other than MIT OCW? I downloaded 6.006 in bulk and started watching it, but it's really not sinking in and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Even at 1.4x speed, the professors like to ramble and take their time spitting out words, and the structure of the class is really more
rather than actually showing or proving why the new data structure or algorithm is a good fit for the problem.

Is there anything concise that shows more concrete examples? I have a tentative grasp on what the MIT lectures are saying, but I think I might want something a bit more tangible and more concise.

Thanks for the dank new search engine, but I'm getting the same shit.

Trying to compile minixpm.c by itself brings me this fresh new hell:
gcc -pedantic -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-overlength-strings -Wdeclaration-after-statement -std=c89 -U__STRICT_ANSI__ -g -O2 minixpm.c -o minixpm/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/crt1.o: In function `_start':/build/eglibc-oGUzwX/eglibc-2.19/csu/../sysdeps/x86_64/start.S:118: undefined reference to `main'/tmp/ccv1pC0h.o: In function `minixpm_to_ximage':/home/stallman/Downloads/xscreensaver-5.35/utils/minixpm.c:183: undefined reference to `XAllocColor'/home/stallman/Downloads/xscreensaver-5.35/utils/minixpm.c:188: undefined reference to `XAllocColor'/home/stallman/Downloads/xscreensaver-5.35/utils/minixpm.c:200: undefined reference to `XCreateImage'/tmp/ccv1pC0h.o: In function `fprintf':/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/stdio2.h:97: undefined reference to `progname'/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/stdio2.h:97: undefined reference to `progname'/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/stdio2.h:97: undefined reference to `progname'/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/stdio2.h:97: undefined reference to `progname'/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/stdio2.h:97: undefined reference to `progname'/tmp/ccv1pC0h.o:/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/stdio2.h:97: more undefined references to `progname' followcollect2: error: ld returned 1 exit statusmake: *** [minixpm] Error 1

If I hack my Wii is there any advantage to having my games on my sd card instead of on an external hard drive?

Even more portability (and easy of loss/destruction) is the big one I can think of. Another data may last a bit longer seeing there is no moving parts to get damaged.Speed, it depends as the SD slot is likely to be using internal USB lanes and even if it is using a speciliased controlller then the speed really depends on card its self. Storage, MircoSD`s (I don't really follow the full variants) have just recently come out in 200GiB capacities.
Silly question but do you have the latest version of dependices? Also mabye your distro`s repo install of the librares is located in a location not looked? The search engine requires JS. It is pretty handy though.Espically as there is no fillter or bubbling (at least at a obvious level) which helps when searching for unquestionably legal sources to items

I was on the Holla Forums webm thread and i realized my webms are broken.

I couldn't use chrome to open up not upload my webms from my files because an error pops up that says "class not registered".

So i decided to download VLC media player to view my webms from my files. It works now but my webms on 8ch look like this now.

How do i fix the 8ch webms Holla Forums

And thanks for the help!

Compared to the current PS4 how does the following pc Stack up?
amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-GUA3100A-Gaming-Desktop/dp/B0111MTSZ8?ie=UTF8&SubscriptionId=1Z2N5YE2W2FCNW2033G2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0111MTSZ8&linkCode=xm2&psc=1&tag=what-will-run-20

I just know the PSU will be shit and the GPU will be to over powered for the CPU. It is just the nature of the beast. This applies to even none "gaming" builds.
Also you can't really compare consoles to PC`s seeing as one uses semi custom designed parts and the other uses

Actually I`l take that back. The GPU is way under powered to be of any use for playing recent releases at 1080.

So for the price a ps4 is better?
Maybe I should wait for the ps4 neo?

don't get a console or a prebuilt you fucking faggot. just do some damn research and make your own PC with some used parts, or some cheap new parts.

The webm doesn't seem to be broken. I tested it with Firefox and Chromium and it worked with both. The encodings are vp9 for video and opus for audio. Make sure you have the necessary packages installed for vp9 and opus support.

Has anyone here used Subgraph OS?

Oh shit, it was some crappy addon called webm inline player making my webms all fucky.

Thanks for the reply user, i really aprreciate it.

I have a laptop that won't turn on. No lights or anything comes on when I plug it in with or without the battery. I tried feeling anywhere on the charger to see if there was heat from a short but it was cold.

I can't find my voltmeter right now but replacement chargers are only 7$ with good reviews on amazon. Is there any other way for me to tell if it's the charger or the laptop than with either a voltmeter or buying a new charger?

I successfully rooted my Samsung Galaxy S5 and installed CyanogenMod 13. Now I'm on an app hunt.

I'd like to ask what apps are worth paying for. I'm considering getting Apex Launcher, Poweramp and Cerberus are they worth the dosh? I'm especially curious about Cerberus.

Make sure you look on F-Droid too. It only has FOSS apps, so while some are low quality, none of them actively make your experience terrible by pushing ads in your face or doing other nasty things. No anti-features.

f-droid.org/

What is the best Virtual Machine program for GNU/Linux? Preferably FOSS.

Anything you pirate WILL be reported, also. . .
Microsoft is part of NSA's mass surveillance program "PRISM":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

Microsoft informs the NSA about bugs before fixing them:
archive.is/OBGB1

Microsoft openly offeres cloud data to support PRISM:
archive.is/tW6fu

Microsoft has backdoored its disk encryption:
archive.is/2XIvX · archive.is/qLRZx

Windows snoops on the users' files, text input, voice input, location, contacts, calendar records and web browsing history, even after related settings are turned off:
archive.is/Zny36 · archive.is/sz1nt
archive.is/g3QdQ · archive.is/ko469
youtube.com/watch?v=nHA2s04Vtdc

A Traffic Analysis of Windows 10:

Keypoints: Windows 10 has a keylogger and uploads all your keystrokes every 5 minutes. Everything you type in Edge or Cortana is sent to Microsoft, along with any media files it finds. When webcam is enabled, 35MB of data goes to Microsoft.
Even with Cortana disabled/uninstalled, Windows 10 sends all microphone audio to Microsoft, when the computer is idle.
archive.is/QnTTA · archive.is/eZKc9

Windows 10 sends desktop screenshots straight to Microsoft:
d2.maxfile.ro/rwspylwbwo.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=xDeHqiydk4A

Windows 10 scans for illegal/pirated software:
archive.is/vhjwm
archive.is/2jehd

Microsoft proudly presents surveillance statistics:
archive.is/MB0Yy

Microsoft owns Pando Networks, famous for the malware/botnet Pando Media Booster.
Windows Update in Windows 10 utilizes P2P by default, most likely the same P2P technology used by Pando Media Booster.
Essentially it turns your PC into a zombie host server, wasting your bandwidth serving updates to other computers.
This also means Windows Update might be utilized later to spread malware through the P2P system via 0days.
archive.is/Tqv7s · archive.is/s3BjC · archive.is/Yy9JB

everyone seems to use oracle

I'm using F-Droid and Aptoide as my main sources for apps. I only use Play Store when it's the only available option.

See for Oracle alternative

So I have a BeagleBone Black (a single board computer) and I'm deciding what I want to use it for.

Ideally, I'd use it as a file server, but as I'm very new to this, I'm unsure if this would mean I can't also use it as a multimedia center. Could I do both?

Is there anything bad about Oracle VirtualBox?

tech pill me on VMs

Just being padantic here. Some of the usual suspects have none free features (stuff that uses Facebook/twitter and stuff that generally requires an accunt) and the decent offline map, tracks you and reports your activity. Also some playstore applications may not work with rooted devices, most likely commercial video services.
The only thing I can really directly related to it USB 2/3 drivers are under a non free recognised licence. Aside from that there is the recent case where if Oracle had won programing would be signaficantly harder because of API copyright.
I can see why that can't be the case, Plex probably is installed as a application. Own Cloud may be a good idea to have as well as a file server as you can then share links rather than having to give out login details.

I'm . I don't really understand your response. Can I use a multimedia tablet BBB as a file server, or does it have to be dedicated?

Holla Forums, is it possible to "split" a connection across proxy-chains or anonymizing networks? Pic related is kind of what I mean, except for this to be done automatically and with more advanced messages (like sending a video to someone).

Is it possible? I don't see why not. Does software exist that does this? No fucking clue

If you wanted to write your own, you could write a custom iptables extension that does this.

It should be possible, but it seems an awfully strange thing to do.

Is the idea to make sure that both lines need to be compromised to read your message? Because in that case you could use an XOR cipher. With a good source of random numbers that's theoretically unbreakable unless you have both streams.

With the right software anything is possible. Depending on your needs a FTP server might be enough or a STFP server might be required. I assume BBB means beaglebone black. If it does then setting up FTP/SFTP is pretty easy, with guides easy to find.
A person who has access to your friend`s network will likely be able to see that two parts of the same message has come from two different networks and which could possibly make it easy to track unrelated requests on those networks (as the same identity may be used) unless those are either dedicated (as in it is apart of a pool of connections that only connects to your friend) network links or are changed on a regular basis.

Thanks, and yeah a beaglebone black

What's the best software for making and editing animated gifs?

I'm really sick of using gimp because of frame previews and having to disable viewing of 100 layers above the one I'm working on.

Flash has a great frame by frame editor even with onion skinning, if there's anything like that I'd love it.

I'm trying to replace the thermal paste on my thinkpad, can i use 20% Isopropyl alcohol to clean the old thermal paste without risking damaging the cpu?

20%? What is the other 80%? You shouldn't use any crap that'll leave behind a residue.

How did you even manage to get 20% ISO? I can't think of any use for it. Didn't even know they sold that.

I'm still pretty new to Linux, and I want to learn more about the terminal, from what I see the terminal is quite powerful.

So, say I wanted to make a function for the terminal to download a Youtube video after I input the URL into it. How would this be done? I want it to be as automatic as possible with as little as possible work.

download "youtube-dl"

Depends how much of it you want to code yourself. If you want the least-effort solution, there's a fantastic piece of software called youtube-dl that'll download videos from YT and pretty much any other video site.

$ youtube-dl youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ#that's all you need to do. If you really wanna make a function, I guess you could dofunction poop { youtube-dl $1}

If you want to go through the effort of manually extracting and downloading the video in bash... Well, I've got no fucking clue how to do that. I'd recommend you don't bother though, given the length of youtube-dl's solution (github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/youtube_dl/extractor/youtube.py)

If you want a compromise between the two, youtube-dl has an option '-g' which finds the URL of the actual video file and outputs it. Because youtube is a bitch with regards to over-complication, it'll actually output separate URLs for the video and audio files. I guess you could create a function that calls youtube-dl -g $URL to find the URLs of the video/audio files, and then combines those using ffmpeg?

Don't be disheartened by . It's not that bash sucks, it's that YouTube is complex. You can create scripts to download videos from other, simpler sites, a lot more easily. On my old machine I have a few scripts to rip videos from porn sites (I believe xhamster was one of them). You might wanna give that a try? I could post the code tomorrow if you want, although it's likely to be outdated now

Is Gentoo the best OS for security and privacy?

tails

>Because youtube is a bitch with regards to over-complication, it'll actually output separate URLs for the video and audio files. I guess you could create a function that calls youtube-dl -g $URL to find the URLs of the video/audio files, and then combines those using ffmpeg?
Which is exactly what youtube-dl does.

Also I renamed my youtube-dl to ytdl because it's much easier to type.

I'll dualboot it if absolutely needed, but I don't want to use Tails exclusively.
I'm wondering if there's a checklist of configurations and things to do at making a gnu/linux distribution security-hardened.

Don't fall for the gentoo meme. Just install non systemd arch and choose exactly what you want to install.

Alright then. There appears to be much more resources and support for Arch anyway.

Wouldn't Parabola be nearly the same?

It is endorsed by the FSF. It is based off Arch, so Systemd and it has a binary focus.

I got sick of troublesome wifi so now im just running 100ft of cat5 cable from my router to my room. Works great for my pc but I'd like to do this as simply as possible for multiple devices. I'm pretty dumb about networking etc. Can i run the cable to a switch box and then to my devices? Thanks.

I was transferring some files to my SD card and the transfer fucked up when an error came up (example because i don't recall the exact numbers (0x00001234) ) and the drive became disconnected (I assume the SD card adapter is fucked to some extent) and some files were corrupted. I tried to delete them but it would not let me because it had special characters (stars and shit) and said the name was too long even though it was only 5 characters. I could not rename it either and when i unplugged it and plugged it back in it says the SD card is corrupt and i must format it.

Is there a program that can just wipe out the fucked up files? I had quite a bit of valuable data on that card and can't format it.

Yes I'd like to see the script, thanks!

Is there a better way than making it a function? If so please tell me how. I will eventually need to know this anyways.

bump for this. please help.
I have a followup too: From the last question, they said to do this command:sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/mit-scheme-i386/mit-scheme /usr/local/bin/schemesudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/mit-scheme-x86-64/mit-scheme /usr/local/bin/scheme
So from what I understand, I should never touch /usr/bin or /bin, but I can touch /usr/local/bin?
Also, since I installed x86-64 version, I actuallly did nothing with the first command since the file didn't exist I'm think.

I also have another question related to possibly fucking my system over. I'm trying to install ahoviewer, and I need a newer version of libcurl. Whenever I go online about updating curl, they just tell me to put it in /usr/local/bin. Apparently if you make sure that's in your path first this should work.
However, homebrew explicitly states that I should be careful doing this. Also, when I looked at the man page for libcurl, it said version 7.9.6, but I have a feeling this isn't the best place to get the version number. I need >= 7.32.0
Does updating curl automatically update libcurl? How do I check which version libcurl is?
So should I try installing it from source? If so, how do I add flags to the build environments?

Also, do you mind just telling me what the fuck is happening with all of this shit? I want to switch to linux with my next computer, but I think I should at least do this kind of stuff on mac so I don't fuck everything up in a week.
I know I asked a lot, so any kind of help is great.
I'm worried the more I try to learn how to do shit, the less I'll want to switch to linux

That image reeks of butthurt.

shit, nevermind. I entered these commands from the page. So this time it worked for some fucking reason, and now I have mit-scheme. But I don't have edwin from the command line, or cf, or anything else that might come with GNU-Scheme. Is this the correct way to undo this?
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/mit-scheme-x86-64rm -rf /usr/local/bin/scheme.

test

I'm trying (keyword: trying) to install Arch on my craptop. Before I go into the problem, here's my system:
lenovo g585 (all stock except RAM and SSD)
AMD E-300 64-bit APU (2 Cores @ 1.3GHz) with integrated Radeon HD 6310M
Atheros AR9285 WLAN adapter
60GB SSD
8GB RAM
DVD-RW drive
USB2.0 built-in SDHC card reader
Elantech trackpad
2x USB3.0 ports
1x USB2.0 port
VGA out port
Ethernet port
peripherals:
USB2.0 wireless mouse
~300GB external HDD (USB3.0) (where Arch will eventually go)
32GB USB3.0 flash drive w/ Arch install iso dd'ed to it
WPA2 secured router

So, after having a trial install in VMWare, I booted up the flash drive to install Arch. At the menu screen, I selected x86_64. Systemd then started doing stuff as per usual, until eventually, a little after the Cold Plug service was started, it became extremely sluggish, only to occasionally spew a message something like:
NMI WATCHDOG: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s!
After a few of those I hard shutdown, and after reading a bit, restarted, but this time with acpi=off set. It booted fine, aside from a couple errors interspersed in the systemd [OK]s, until it got to the zsh prompt, where the keyboard became completely unresponsive. Not even the caps lock LED changed upon pressing the button. Rebooting with init=/bin/sh worked, but none of the services allowing me to use WLAN had started, so it was essentially useless.
Most recently, I booted with acpi=noirq, which went seemingly fine. As of right now, my main issue is that WLAN still doesn't work. The interface is there, and wifi-menu can find my router, but ping reports the connection is unreachable, and ip link says my WLAN is down. Any attempt to use netctl to restart the profile results in "the selected profile is already started", which it obviously isn't. Stopping the profile helps nothing.
So I guess this has been a long winded way of saying
A) The installer doesn't boot on normal settings and
B) When I can trick it into booting, WLAN refuses to work.
help would be greatly appreciated.

That right there is the problem.
Have got the latest release? Did you check the Sha-1/256 before burning the iso to a usb?
Manjaro is a " it just works [tm]" version of Arch. I would suggest the OpenRC edition.
Alias

Running Windows 7, is there a way I can get flash videos to play through html5? If not, is there some alternative to bloatware Flash that is easy to use?

How do I install PeaZip on Debian 8.5 (AMD64)

Does Vt-d PCI passthrough work with virtualbox's seamless mode?

Hardware is Intel Core i7 6500U dual core 2.5
and AMD Radeon R5 M330 2GB DDR3L

For the past 24 hours my two windows drives have been getting thrashed every 1.5 seconds for no obvious reason.

2 Drives, a Vertex 2 system and 500 GB ancillary drive, both passing SMART test. No clues except a system integrity process writing constantly to both drives.

Any ideas, Holla Forums?

does it do it in safe mode?

The hardware ECC recovery is climbing rapidly on that 500 gig drive, so I think it is fucked. No issue, it's just got faggot modern games on it.

TL;DR: Is it safe to build a PC out of random garbage?

Holla Forums, lately I've been frequenting a second hand/flea market which is organized by the local recycling company responsible for all the trash in the city (or maybe even the whole EU country).
Couple of days ago, I've noticed they had a segregated dump for computers and general electronics where people can freely dump their unwanted garbage. So as the saying goes: one mans trash is another mans treasure.
I've only spent one day there and have managed to rip out a 160 GB hard drive and a couple of 512 mb ram chips/blades/clips.

Here's the idea: I wanted to collect the parts to make my own PC and seeing the quality/age of these I can safely say this Frankenstein monster won't be a gaming PC. Which is unfortunate because I'm a poorfag and I wanted to follow Logical Increments instructions to build a Modest PC (~$ 380) I'd have to dish out 500+ € for it. Each part on the dump is sold for 1-2 €.
So the question is this: is it safe to build a PC out of these random parts? Am I going to have to constantly check the compatibility on the phone while waist deep in yellow plastic and dented metal?

If it has been in the rain you should check for PCB corrosion. It sounds like fun to see what you can scavenge. ntfs-undelete any drives for goodies.

Apart from identifying AGP/PCI-e and ddr/2/3 there won't be many compatibility issues unless they are selling cpus separately.

So I just been gifted a game, it's Doom 2016 and when I play it, my CPU temp rise to ~61/63°C, which seems to be the limit, and my fan speed is about 2500 RPM.
I tried lowering everything in the game, my CPU usage went down, but the temperature stayed exactly the same.

When idle, my CPU is between 35 and 45°C (since it's summer, my room is already pretty hot, ~28°C) and fan speed about 1500 RPM

I don't know if I should be worried about anything or if I'm just paranoid about it, should I increase my fan speed or something ?

It's all kept under a roof and A wall. Should be fine.
And yes, it's a hell of a lot of fun to dig through and scavenge for shit. The 3 hours I had spent there felt like 15 minutes. I even found a mint-condition looking dvd recorder in foil with a dedicated Seagate HDD and a bunch of connection ports on the back (just one HDMI out), but I had to leave it there because the screws were this weird hexagon shape and all I had with me were couple of small, broken screwdrivers (chipped - and dented +). This looks like DDR, not 2 or 3, just DDR.

1) uninstall nuDoom
2) find new friends
3) play OG DOOM with mods instead
3) if a4l of the above fails, check if hte game is using all the available cores instead of just one and try increasing the fan speed with proprietary third-party software.

Thats it, im done with trying to manage regular backups of all my computers manually and im just going to go with some cloud bullshit with encryption and hope the NSA hasn't cracked aes256.

I need advice on which online services support properly implemented user-side encryption and wont rip me off in terms pf price.

im looking at backblaze and spideroak right now give your comments on which is more harmful.

How can I download a torrent safely? I heard they log your ips or something similar

63c is not a problem whatsoever. You're good long-term up to around 75ish, depending on the CPU

Your ISP usually won't give a shit, but a free VPN would be optimal if you're just torrenting. You should invest in a paid VPN, however.

Depends on the torrent. Sometimes various anti-piracy groups will watch the swarm, and log IPs. This primarily happens for torrents of new exciting shit (latest blockbusters etc.) on public trackers.

If you don't want to spend money then join a private tracker. They're not open to the public, so they're less likely to be watched by anti-piracy groups.

If you're okay with spending money, either rent a seedbox or get a VPN. Seedbox is preferable if you don't have any use for a VPN, because it'll be quicker. VPN is preferable if you have other thing that you might need a VPN for.

Some people will tell you to install peerblock. Don't bother, it does absolutely nothing.

I've heard good things about tarsnap, but I don't much much about it in regards to your requirements.

best free VPN? I just need to torrent win7.iso

latest release, sha is fine. I'm doing Arch purely for the autistic challenge, I don't actually need it to function or be easy. If I wanted a gnu+linux that just works I would have just used lubuntu and been done in 10 minutes.

imo as long as you don't seed, you're not gonna get cease&desists
don't set an upload speed limit though, in my experience that just makes the whole download slower. just remove the torrent once it's done downloading.

forgot to add: if you really want a vpn, i believe hide.me has a free trial with enough data to get win7

To be honest, I know the flaws and I agree, but it's pretty fun, still better than I thought it would be
They would never gift me something like that anyway
I still play Doom on a daily basis
It uses all the cores, I don't know why the temperature is always the same regardless of the game being on Low or Ultra though

It's a Intel Core i5 4590 - 3.30GHz
I'm always pretty paranoid with my hardware since I'm a fuck up

Even if your ISP contact you for something like that, you can always it wasn't you and/or you will leave for another ISP if they do something against you, it worked for a lot of people, it depends on your country too.

Don't bother. Download it from pcriver.com/operating-systems/windows-7-ultimate-iso-download/, and verify that it has the correct hash. I believe Microsoft will have published it somewhere

Windows 7 Ultimate Retail English (x86)

Name: 7600.16385.090713-1255_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULFRER_EN_DVD.iso
Size: 2501894144 bytes
Date Modified: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 17:32:44 PM
CRC: C1C20F76
MD5: D0B8B407E8A3D4B75EE9C10147266B89
SHA-1: 5395DC4B38F7BDB1E005FF414DEEDFDB16DBF610

Windows 7 Ultimate Retail English (x64)

Name: 7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD.iso
Size: 3224686592 bytes
Date Modified: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 17:40:25 PM
CRC: 1F1257CA
MD5: F43D22E4FB07BF617D573ACD8785C028
SHA-1: 326327CC2FF9F05379F5058C41BE6BC5E004BAA7

Hope it helps,

from answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-md5-saha-1-hash/0a319aa4-c930-47a9-baba-cac2e08cc9e3?auth=1

Spideroak requires proprietary software to use. I think it's best to encrypt manually and use Backblaze.

quick update: booting with acpi=noirq, and then running lspci -k shows that the driver is loaded (ath9k). however, along with the previously mentioned problem, dmesg | grep ath9k shows "Can't find IRQ for PCI INT A; probably buggy MP table"
hopefully that info is helpful

Tarsnap. Client is FLOSS and uses client side encryption. Pay as used model.

Windows 7 Pro iso + Daz located at .

okay, tryed the manjaro install iso just for fun
booted okay, but the exact same problem with the wlan (aside from the irq errors)
I have a chinese rtl8188eus dongle but the driver setup for that is so retarded i won't even bother

Arch is considerably less time-consuming than Gentoo

I can't access any form of terminal anymore, not even by tty. For example if I start xterm or terminology they just pop up for a second and then they disappear, trying to log from tty gets me back to the login screen no matter how much I try, what can I do? Ctrl+Alt+T obviously doesn't work.

I'm on Xubuntu 16.04 btw

That is a very interesting problem. Is there something in your .bashrc? Can you log in with an alternative shell?

AFAIK terminology is the only alternative shell I've installed, anyway I can't find any .bashrc in my home directory, guess I should create a new one from scratch?

Sorry, I misunderstood, if by alternative shell you mean zsh, fsh and such then no, I've never dealt with them.

Terminology isn't a shell, it's a terminal emulator. The shell is what runs inside the terminal emulator. Usually this will be bash.

I'm thinking either bash is broken, or your shell is set to one that immediately exits. Let's figure out if bash works first. If you have access to a GUI, create the following text file
#!/bin/bashecho poop > ~/poop
Right click on it, set it to executable. Then try to run it. If a file named "poop" appears in your home folder, bash works. We can proceed from there.

to clarify: You probably won't be able to make it executable directly from the right-click menu. Will probably be in right-click->properties or something. Depends on your file manager

Alright, the poop file popped up, what now?

Alright, so bash works. Now let's see what your default shell is.

#!/bin/bashxterm /bin/bash

Save that, make executable, run it. See if that gets you a working shell.

Thanks a lot, xterm works. Next step?

Wait, looks like the problem is xfce itself, I've tried to set a hotley fir xterm but it keeps giving me the same issues. I can only run terminals by those files for now

*hotkey

Bash works, so my best guess is that it's not your default shell. The following will tell you what it's set to
getent passwd $LOGNAME | cut -d : -f 7
Out of interest, what is it?

If it isn't /bin/bash then all you need to do is

chsh -s /bin/bash $USER

If it is /bin/bash... We'll worry about that when we come to it. For now, I'm hoping you just have the wrong shell set.

What's the best database for very large numbers of entries? Postgres?Iis MongoDB worth looking into at all or is it just a meme?

Doesn't seem like XFCE is the problem. The file in just calls xterm and manually specifies to run /bin/bash as the shell. My thinking is that you have another thing set as your default shell, so any terminal that runs the default shell will refuse to work - XFCE or no

Crap, I didn't know MySecureShell could be set as the default shell... what do I do to change it to /usr/bin/bash?

Nevermind, didn't read your post

Great, now I can't even change the shell for my user, neither by su or sudo...

I apologize for being retarded, but what do I have to do to add a flash player to iridium in Windows 7?

You shouldn't run
chsh -s /bin/bash $USER
as root. $USER is an environment variable that expands to your current username. If you run it as root, you'll end up changing the shell for root. Does it work when you run it as your normal user?

Well, that's what I just did since it didn't work while logged with my user, how do I revert it?

It didn't do anything bad if you ran it as root. Bash is the default shell for root anyway. If you ran it as root, it just means that nothing happened.

How did it not work when you ran it as your normal user? Did you get an error?

It gave me a permission error, something like "$USER is not allowed to change the shell", anyway I've just restarted the system and it looks like both hotkeys and tty fully work now. Thanks a lot user

Oh, maybe Xubuntu is setup so that shells are only changeable by root. For what it's worth, to make the command work as root you'd just have to manually replace $USER with your account name. I'm guessing it worked when you ran it with sudo but not with su? As $USER would expand correctly with sudo but not su.

Anyway, speculation is pointless if it's working now.

Oh, I thought $USER was just a placeholder for my account's name, oh well.

$USER is just a placeholder for the current user's name. When you run su, you launch a new shell with root as the user. when $USER is evaluated by the shell after running su, it'll evaluate as root because the shell is running as the root user. sudo shouldn't have that problem because $USER is evaluated to your name before the command is run as root

I bought into this meme and got myself an X60, one of the earlier models.

What are some hardware upgrades or mods I can implement on it?

IPS upgrade if you can find a screen.

Model number please as the BIOS may have a maximum limit.
SSD all the way.
8GiB I belive.Again depentant on the motherboard, which the model number will provide.
Are you serious? What else would help ensure a half decent connection between two bits of metal that isn't a liquid? Air won`t really help.
Yes, as long as you have some basic EE skills. There should be some guides on how to dissasmeble your model.
Unfortunately I don't think that would be able to be found at a place that sells things for $1-2.

Shit, I meant for

???? If you wrote
then please the hell out of my head/body before I get the thing. Also I managed to quote right user.

What browser should I fucking use? Especially with firefox youtube right now makes me gpu go up to 56 degrees and loud fans. The GPU load is low, VRAM usage minimal.

I am on Windows 7, i5-3570, gtx780.

Bumping my question because i desperately need an answer.

I have 6gb of ram but only 1,7 is available.

How can I fix that?

I have a 2nd gen ipod touch, any ideas of what I could do with it/use it for?

I already put whited00r on it and it still runs like shit.

Is there a gnu/linux a software that can used to send keyboard macros activated from different USB devices such as USB keyboard? There's one like this on windows hidmacros.eu/whatisit.php, I want to find an alternative software just for gnu/linux so that I can do mapping additional keys on USB Keyboard.

Please response.

My sister needed to use my laptop, which runs Ubuntu, for a while so I installed Windows 7 on a separate partition for her and have in the process lost my Ubuntu installation. Gparted shows the partition as unallocated. Most of the data was backupped except for a few books which I was hopping to recover. Is there anyway to can recover my files

You could try recover your files with scalpel. Maybe install it in livecd might work.

You might have better luck deleting them from within Linux. Either boot up a live CD, or use USB passthrough in a virtual machine.

Why not just copy the good files onto your hard drive, format the SD card, and paste the good files back onto the card? Seems to be the simplest solution

Can you try partitioning to restore the partition at the size/location it was before? If you do this and don't format the partition, I think you'll still be able to access your files

Is there a single fucking email service that doesn't require a phone number verification?

I've tried Google, hotmail, yahoo, hush, and a few others, and they all require them.

I don't even own a mobile phone - and if I did, I wouldn't let my email service know what it was.

What's a good service that doesn't require it?

For personal shit? Cock.li works well. No idea if you want something that you can use to get a job though

Anything that isn't in the hands of authorities at the moment?

Yeah, cock.li + GPG.

Failing that, openmailbox seems to be endorsed by the FSF (fsf.org/resources/webmail-systems) although any on that page would probably be good

Thank you.

Hello aboslute noob here how do i make bootable dvd with windows 7? I have download some win7 throught torrent and saw some guides but i still dont understand it. Do i just burn it to dvd and it will work? I need help.

I think Win7 has a built in iso burner. You should be able to burn it to the dvd by right clicking on it.

You just burn it to the dvd and it will work, yes

So like this?

No.

Get infrarecorder

select burn image

Depends how willing you are to do it yourself. You should be able to do a lot of things using xev + xbindkeys/xmodmap, see blog.hanschen.org/2009/10/13/mouse-shortcuts-with-xbindkeys/. It is an involved process with the command line though, and IDK if the GUI he talks about is any good

Yes like that

It doesn't matter what he uses to burn it, windows' built-in one works fine

Okay got it i thought it will be harder than this.

Hey guys I'm trying to convert a light novel's pdf to png or jpeg. I made a photoshop script that can save it, but I have to hit the hotkey every single time for every single file. What am I doing wrong? And is there a piece of software that would convert it better?

I don't have access to any files. The computer tells me the card must be formatted to be used. I've also tried using a live USB's before but It has never worked out.

I just need a program that can read the device and allow me to delete the files that are corrupt, which will assumedly fix the read error.

Tech i have problem with downgrading my win 10 to win 7 on my asus notebook. When i mount dvd into mechanic and restart notebook i got nothing and it normally start windows. I need help with this.

Windows doesn't play well with any files containing illegal characters. You won't be able to fix it from Windows unless someone has written software that uses a custom NTFS driver. Linux is your best best, because its NTFS driver doesn't mind NTFS-illegal characters (you can put pretty much anything in a Linux filename)

Do you mean you've tried live USBs to recover this sd card or to do other shit?

It's not a NTFS sd card its FAT32. I'm not looking to do it from within windows own programs, those are useless.I see no reason why a program can't be able to access what microsoft has issues with.

And I've used live USB's on other shit before with similar issues, but different hardware.

FAT32 or NTFS, the same restriction applies. The only software capable of handling it will be software that utilises a custom driver. Good luck finding that. I'm sure something will exist, but I doubt it's free or well-made

Have you looked at the BIOS and: disabled secure boot, ensured that your optical drive is powered and that Legacy Boot is enabled? Some times the first and last options are not possible. Did you check the sha1sum of the image to increase the chances that it is a legit uncorrupted image before burning? Did you burn at auto or at a manual speed e.g. 4X?

When partitioning the disks during the Debian installation, how do I get to use the second drive as a data partition still owned by the main user?
Also, is there a way to encrypt more partitions using the same password, without having to enter the password more than once?
And from what I read I should also encrypt the swap partition, but when I did, when starting up the computer and trying to decrypt it I would always get an error. Is there a special way to do it?

Map it during partitioning to somewhere in the home directory, or /media/storage.

chown it.

Installers typically put all encrypted partitions into one block device that is then handled by LVM after decryption, using one password.

I've never had an error encrypting swap.

Do dependencies of explicitly installed packages go into the selected set in gentoo? If not, how does the system keep track of them? Do they go into @world?

i've never used linux before what distro should i get?
i want to play with parallel computing and tensorflow

Aside from obvious disadvantages that come with buying used electronics in general (no warranty, higher risk of failure, etc.), and missing overclocking options, what disadvantages are there to buying a recycled pre-build from a computer recycler with nearly identical specs to a build you were considering building from scratch?

I ask because I don't care about overclocking and have had great luck with used computers/electronics in the past (literally all of the hardware I'm using right now is second-hand), and from the research I've done it seems I can cut my costs in half if not more.

So aside from the obvious, what else am I missing out on by not buying new? I'm looking to upgrade this dinosaur soon and I don't want to get meme'd.

screw this arch is too hard

Whichever flavour of Ubuntu has the desktop that you like most

I overestimated how long a 1TB drive would last before it starts to run low on space. Should I go with another 1TB drive (maybe WD Black? Current HDD is WD Blue) or risk a 2TB drive? On the latter, how reliable are they compared to years ago?

Ill try it.

How do I this using G-parted?

read the wiki harder

No idea, I use fdisk. If you can remember where the partition started and how big it is then you will be able to do it in fdisk.

What is the URL to view mod activity on a board?

Done thanks hours ago i have chcecked some forum they talked about this i have run bios and changed it to legacy i dont know if my PC will run slow now or some other thing but i dont care and cant stand windows 10.

Cant belive people willingly upgrade to win 10 every time i have been on my laptop i was in constant rage it run fine but oh god i couln't find shit and had to register everywhere.

Fuck you microsoft. Before uninstalling my win 10 which was pre installed on my laptop i have send them email to go fuck themselves. I knew win 10 will be shit but not so much shit it will put me into such rage i have to leave my flat and go for walk.

It's in the main sticky

So I'm looking into purchasing an X200T (probably with enhanced multitouch, but maybe outdoor screen) and I'm wondering which specs would be best for Starcraft 2? I'm assuming the bigger the processor, the better (the biggest for the x200t is SL9600), but is there anything else in particular I should look out for ?

I'm looking for a program to help me structure my day. These are the things I'm looking for:

Any recommendation could help, so if you happen to know of any software that might help, please post it here.
Every suggestion is appreciated.

8ch.net/log.php?board=tech

Any decent calendar software should work for that. You can try Thunderbird (with an extension) or Evolution. I think Evolution integrates with GNOME in case you care for that.

Calendars tend to support recurring events and notifications.

To synchronize you can use an OwnCloud instance, such as Openmailbox. You could also use it as a web client.

How do I into aspect ratios for banners?

I need your help, niggers. I've dual-booted Xubuntu 14.04 alongside my pre-existing Windows 8.1, p-pls no bully, everybody has to start somewhere, and I need a place to Cheeki Breeki but I can't get the wireless connection to work. I've followed the official documentation, but have come up with nothing so far.

What I've done is everything, up until installing the ndisgtk package, to make my Windows Wireless Driver useful, using the input of:
sudo apt-get install ndisgtk

But it doesn't work, and brings up an output of:
Reading package lists… DoneBuilding dependency treeReading state information… DoneE: Unable to locate package ndisgtk

I assume the reason this isn't working is because of the no connection, but it doesn't make sense, as when I ran Xubuntu 14.04 in a VM, this command worked perfectly, even when I disabled Networking.

Something I noticed that may be related, whenever I type in the input of:
sudo lshw -C network

I never get the DISABLED/ENABLED/CLAIMED/UNCLAIMED output. I get everything but that, not sure why.
My wireless network device works in Windows, so I don't think it being off is the reason for this. But it wouldn't surprise me at all if I was wrong.

TL;DR version: Wireless connection in Xubuntu 14.04 isn't working, no other internet connection source on Xubuntu, and already exhausted official documentation.

Yes, this is a repost of one the posts an earlier thread that didn't get any replies. Why? Because it's really bugging the shit out of me.

I have a bit more information for those kind anons who would help me with my problem.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R games can be played perfectly fine on linux, using wine.

that's the only input i can give. no idea about wifi

I appreciate the input nonetheless, user.

How does one debug wine errors? Usually I can tell what the problem is and install a dll to fix any errors I have, but I can't get any useful information out of this.
[fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f8d4,0x00000000), stub!fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0xaa1e9e8 (nil)): stuberr:ole:CoGetClassObject class {bcc782bc-6492-4c22-8c35-f5d72fe73c6e} not registerederr:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcc782bc-6492-4c22-8c35-f5d72fe73c6e} could be created for context 0x1err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {bcc782bc-6492-4c22-8c35-f5d72fe73c6e} not registerederr:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcc782bc-6492-4c22-8c35-f5d72fe73c6e} could be created for context 0x1err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {bcc782bc-6492-4c22-8c35-f5d72fe73c6e} not registerederr:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcc782bc-6492-4c22-8c35-f5d72fe73c6e} could be created for context 0x1err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {bcc782bc-6492-4c22-8c35-f5d72fe73c6e} not registerederr:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcc782bc-6492-4c22-8c35-f5d72fe73c6e} could be created for context 0x1fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0x3007c, 0x1ad470): stub

For the record I'm trying to play Stranger of Sword City.

try winetricks dx9
seems to be an xaudio2 issue
or winetricks xact

Does it matter what type of thermal paste I use for a CPU heatsink?

Thanks, I think I already have those installed but I'll give it a shot. Also, what makes you think it's a dx9 or xaudio issue?

as long as it conducts heat well, not really.
you can even use chocolate as thermal paste.
remember that bubbles are bad, though. a bad technique wastes thermal paste.

osdir.com/ml/wine-bugs/2011-06/msg01713.html

Ah, I see. I already had those installed, but I'm updating wine to 1.8.2 so maybe that will have some effect. I wish gentoo had a wine binary.

Not really a question but I just discovered this search engine and I'm really surprised.

yandex.com/

I kinda like it so far and was wondering if anyone was familiar with it.

Well, it seems that xact_june_2010 fixed most of the problems. I'm just left with this: err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
I found a thread that suggested running:
winetricks d3dx9 d3dx9_43 d3dcompiler_43
But I'm still left with the error; sometimes I miss the "It just works" windows way of life.

Just noticed this line:ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.29/work/alsa-lib-1.0.29/src/pcm/pcm.c:7905:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

Sounds like (pun intended) alsa is at the root of this somehow. Time to do more digging.

I have a fresh install of debian jessie, and sound isn't working.

aplayer -l

shows the default intel card (which is the only card), but hwnever I play something the output is just static and alsamixer always mutes streams as soon as I remove the jack from the plug. it correctly identifies when the jack is plugged in, but just does not give any output.

VLC shows me that there is no available xvideo adaptor whever i try to open a video.

Also, all videos play at 2x speed. the only videos I can play are on my browser (youtube, webms, etc).

So my desktop blew up and I:ve been using this Lenovo IdeaCenter k410 as a desktop workstation for my video editing purposes. I:m not much of a Windows user outside a couple of things and I really don:t know what the fuck I:m doing. So I put my GPU in this thing and It:s outputting my shit. The problem is that I want to simultaneously output from the onboard intel chipset. Currently I have my monitor and a television hooked up so I can watch Japanimation late at night. Reminder that Haruhi is over 10 years old now

My Device Manager isn:t even DETECTING there is other graphics hardware available (the onboard chipset) and I don:t know what the FUCK to do. I haven:t installed the other hard drives yet so I haven:t yet configured a Slackware setup to see if it behaves any differently with xrandr.

What the fuck do I do.

So I can buy a $1 tube off eBay?

The onboard GPU might be disabled in BIOS.
What's keeping you from installing Linux then? And what's up with those colons instead of apostrophies?

Not really, but I've encountered enough laptops (HP Compaq) in the past that were overheating only due to poor (and too heavily applied) thermal paste.

So, I don't agree with that it doesn't matter. I wouldn't recommend $1 thermal paste from ebay although that paste might actually be fine (for a few years).

It doesn't have to be silver thermal paste, ceramic is fine, but personally I wouldn't use generic just because I wouldn't know if it is acceptable generic, or shit generic.

Doesn't matter if you don't mind cleaning and re-applying it every year or so, and don't mind a minimal temp difference between low end and high end paste. But if you want it to last longer between application, get something name brand, it's still cheap

How could I make Windows 7 recognize that those drives are internal? It is just for my own sanity.

How do you know the episodes order when you download full BD series?
With movies is easy since you only need to open the 30-40gb file but now I have a lot of 12gb .m2ts files with random numbers as name

Fucked up keyboard settings. Fucking Windows.
I WILL install Lunix I just haven:t done it yet. It:s only been like a day.

Like I said I need Windows for video editing.

Why are you using ndiswrapper anyway? Using a native driver is the preferred solution. What are your specs?

If I'm already using gigabit ports on a router, will newer or more expensive routers have no difference in wired internet speed?

the wiki is excellent, it's just a combo of my hardware being retarded and myself not being a hacker pro
I just went with trisquel+i3 so i can still feel like a hacker but avoid the headache of basic components not functioning for no reason

Does Fallout New Vegas run okay in Wine? That's the only thing I was keeping Windows for, but I was forced to nuke Windows (still have all the files and saves on an external HDD)
it's the non-steam version btw

I need help. I want to download a file, but then there appears that the skip button to go directly to the download site foesnt appear!

In other Internet browsers and in other Firefox devices, it appears, but in the Firefox of my PC, it doesnt. I deactivated all of my complements that could perhaps block it (Ublock,Disconnectme, etc...) But it still doesnt appear.

Anything I should do?

Protip: wine maintains a database of user-submitted reviews for what works and what doesn't

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=21692

You could always just look at the page source for the download link. Even if the button isn't visible the link should be in the source. Restarting Firefox without add-ons may also help.

How do I do that?

What is good open source Android Emulator for Linux?

I want them chatting apps on emulator on PC that doesn't mess with my freedoms.

Press F12 and the inspector should appear along with the HTML for the site you are on. Pic related, it's the HTML for gentoo.org. Then you just need to search for the download link in the inspector.

Couldnt find the link.

Now here looks like the script for the skip ad button that should appear...But I dont know how to activate it.

hi guys, so got this toshiba laptop and it turns off after a few minutes even just in bios screen doing nothing. The exhaust part where the fan is located gets VERY VERY hot almost too hot to touch and then just dies.

If booting from cold where it hasnt been used in days it lasts maybe 5 minutes before the part of the exhaust is too hot to touch and dies. the fan is completely clean... i can feel a tiny little bit of air coming out maybe... almost non-existant so may just be from the heat itself?... fan perfectly clean though! anyone know what to do from here ? i have replaced the thermal paste on the gpu and cpu, same thing though... so cant be that

anyone got any ideas?

Try Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled.

Meant for

Is the fan actually doing anything?

Now it does works. Thanks.

tbh, I don't think so... after a few minutes I can feel heat REALLY soft... but maybe thats just coming out naturally from the hot as fuck heat sink? after that area gets too hot to touch almost it turns off

would a fan replacement be best you think? everything else is clean as fuck

If the fan isn't working then yeah, replace it. Fans are cheap as hell, shouldn't be too much of an issue unless your laptop is difficult to open

I still have it all open right now - just bought a fan on eBay for 18 bucks express post. Will be here tuesday morning.

Wasn't sure if only a fan not working would do it - even in just the BIOS screen it was dying after 5 or so minutes. Hopefully this will fix it for good.

thanks m8

Well, I fixed the alsa issue (forgot to enable the use flag when I rebuilt wine), but this error still persists.

I'm so fucking close I can taste it.

I like this one:
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=jackpal.androidterm

And I use this for SSH:
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=sk.vx.connectbot

thanks fam

How would turning my single board computer into a file server benefit me? I don't really get the purpose

Because they're cheap and low-power. That's it, really.

I don't think I'm really grasping what it is a file server does though. So if I had a movie on my laptop, would a file server allow me to wirelessly access it?

Ultimate is a bitch to crack
Get pro

That's the idea, I guess. Depending on the server software you can stream videos from it, or just store and download files. They can be handy for things that don't require a whole lot of processing power, like IRC, older games like Quake, and VOIP.

If you have a movie on your laptop, and your laptop is powered on, you can wirelessly access it even without a single board computer. But your laptop has to be on, which is not always convenient and takes electricity.

If you have the movie on your single board computer you can also access it wirelessly, as long as your single board computer is on. But keeping your single board computer powered on takes a ridiculously low amount of electricity. Keeping it powered on all the time is fine.

Running Fedora 23, trying to play vidya but I need to install a Nvidia gfx driver. I have downloaded the driver, but can't install it without first uninstalling the default Nouveau driver. However I am unable to do that.

This is a long-term issue for which I am yet to find a resolution. Can anyone please help me uninstall the Nouveau driver without fucking up my computer (already had to do a complete reinstall once after I went too far when fucking with grub).

It works but the thing is that how the hel didnt work before when I deactivated all of my addon manually, but now works?

Manually? If so, why are you not installing through the package manager?

I'm guna come out and admit I'm a bit of a noob here. I used the repositories a bunch when I first installed but I've since been able to do everything through the graphical interface or manually.

How to install the driver through the package manager?

Huge mistake, man. You should always go through repositories intended for your distribution.

I'm not familiar with Fedora, but it seems like they don't allow nonfree software in their official repositories. You'll first need to add non-free ones from a project called rpmfusion, instructions here rpmfusion.org/Configuration

Then you need to install the actual nvidia driver, instructions here
rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

Thanks heaps man. So, why is it better to go through the respositories?

Also, when I try to add the repositories in your first link it asks me for my password, and when I go to type nothing comes up. I have no password so simply pressing enter should bypass this, but it doesn't. What do?

Now I fixed it. Its because I enabled Firefox Tracking Protection enabled. Disabling it fixes it.

Now, is there a way to make websites unaffected by Firefox tracking protection?

Every Linux distribution does things a little differently. They use different versions of the same libraries, they store configs in different locations, they use different packaging formats etc.

If you use a package designed for Ubuntu (for example) on another distro, there's a very good chance it won't work. When the package is something important, like drivers, you might even risk breaking stuff.

This is a security feature. No characters appear on the screen, but your input is still being recorded

It wants the root password, not your password. Do you know what the root password is?

Okay scratch all that. I followed the instructions and then rebooted my computer, and now it won't turn on.

Full sequence of events: I used
[code]dnf install akmod-nvidia "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"[/code

This command was given in your second link. It downloaded and installed something. I forgot to run the update command after that because I'm retarded, but I ran a command to check my gfx driver, and it was still nouveau. Thinking that it was because I hadn't restarted, I rebooted my computer.

However my computer stuck at the Fedora logo, most of the way through loading in. I tried several different versions and all of them got stuck. The more recent versions give a message saying that something has gone wrong.

Pls help. If I've lost everything and have to reinstall AGAIN I'm just guna go back to Windows. I've been enjoying Linux, but losing my computer twice just because of a graphics driver is the limit for me.

Reboot, and when you get to the grub menu hit "e". Scroll down to the line beginning with "linux", and append "nomodeset" to the end. Then hit f10, and see if it'll boot

That worked. Fuck, what a relief. Thank you so much man. How does the nomodeset suffix affect my Fedora, should I be worried?

I ran the command checking the graphics driver and it is now Nvidia. Does this mean everything is successful?

If that happens again, use this:

no, the only other factor to consider is the port port architecture (bitstream/cpu-driven/matrix) and the mode of the router (cut-through or store-and-forward)

Linux uses a thing called kernel modesetting. You don't need to understand what it is, just know that it's an optional yet default thing that doesn't work with nvidia's proprietary drivers.

All you need to do now is modify the bootloader config so that "nomodeset" is appended by default, now and for all future reconfigurations.

Modify the file at /etc/default/grub and add "nomodeset" to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" line. Uncomment it if it's commented.

For example, it'll probably look like this
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""[code]You should then change it to look like[code]GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

After that, run (as root)
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
That updates your grub config, taking into account the setting you modified above.

Finally, reboot to test that it works.

Nice, thanks. I tried fixing it through a Fedora CD but to no avail. I did come here, but depends on the time of day I guess.

Just to check before I fuck with grub again, I'm in the grub file, you want me to change
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rhgb quiet"

to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

And then run that command and reboot? None of that stuff after the equals sign needs to be kept?

Good thing you asked. Only add nomodeset to that, don't replace it with nomodeset.

So it should be
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rhgb quiet nomodeset"

Okay, I did that but the command you said to use didn't work. grub-mkconfig is apparently not a valid command.

Oh, looks like in fedora the command is grub2-mkconfig. Try that instead?

Now I'm getting

Argh, fucking fedora. Looking at their wiki, it seems that the directory is actually /boot/grub2.

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
That command (as root) should work, I think

how do we fix modern computing

install gentoo

I rebooted and it started up perfectly well. Unfortunately my Steam doesn't seem to be working now, which sort of defeats the purpose of the graphics driver. I think some of my applications I was running through Wine are fucking up too.

I'm happy enough to reinstall Wine, but I'm afraid that if I reinstall Steam I'll have to reinstall my games, and that'll use up my internet quota (coz Australia) for the next few months.

support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129
support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-YPHV-2033

I can't really help much further than that. If you reinstall steam, make sure to install through the package manager so you can be sure all the needed dependencies are met. Maybe that's the issue?

Final suggestion: try running
lsmod |grep nouveau
maybe nouveau is still there and is causing a conflict? If that command outputs anything then you need to blacklist nouveau. It shouldn't output anything though

For future reference: you should probably consider installing Ubuntu if you're not entirely sure what you're doing

I got
nouveau 1388544 0mxm_wmi 16384 1 nouveaui2c_algo_bit 16384 1 nouveaudrm_kms_helper 118784 1 nouveauttm 90112 1 nouveaudrm 335872 9 ttm,drm_kms_helper,nvidia,nouveauwmi 20480 3 mxm_wmi,nouveau,asus_wmivideo 36864 2 nouveau,asus_wmi

Does that mean I need to do more shit?

I was guna go with Ubuntu, but I figured that if I did that I might as well just stick with Windows 7. Fedora was supposed to be fairly entry level too, but for whatever reason I haven't picked up all the know-how that I hoped that I would.

what kinds of people are there in Holla Forums support thread?

Yes, you need to do more shit. I don't know whether this could be the cause of the steam/wine issues, but it's something that needs correcting anyway.

create the following file /etc/modprobe.d/nvblacklist.conf
blacklist nouveaublacklist lbm-nouveauoptions nouveau modeset=0alias nouveau offalias lbm-nouveau off
Then reboot. After that, try running "lsmod | grep nouveau" again and see if it's fixed

Generally? No idea. As for myself:
Gentoo/debian user, no programming languages but can shell script. Britbong.

Gentoo/debian dual boot - desktop PC (gentoo predominantly used)
Arch - laptop (hardly used)
Debian - server

you should never use steam. they are just as bad as EA, Activison, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Intel, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, yahoo, and so on. they are cancer.

smart, and private

48000hz vs 44100hz, which one is more common?

I agree, though I think the extent to which they are bad is less than most of the organisations you just mentioned. Sadly however most of my games are on Steam.

I just did that and I got the same results. Also there's already a file in there that blacklists nouveau, which I think was placed there by the nvidia driver. This is where I ran into trouble last time, uninstalling nouveau is a nightmare.

Maybe you need to update your initramfs. I don't know how to do that, though

When I tried to do this last time and my PC died, the error message had to do with initramfs because I'd been fucking around with it. I'm loathe to do it again.

Are you the same guy as before? If so, thank you very much for your help.

Would it be possible to make this website
effectgames.com/demos/worlds/
a calendar based desktop background for windows 7?

If yes, where would I start/how?

I'm trying to install freeciv-2.5.4 on my other old debian pc that I keep aside for things that would otherwise bloat my main pc but I have become totally lost on how to do this. seriously though debian makes old broken computers glow with new life unless that glow is fire you you got to run and get the fire extinguisher and call the firetruck because systemd ruined everything

assuming I even get this functioning, Is there a folder for mods to be placed inside in the game folder? how do I install mods? does it come prepackaged with the mod installer like the really outdated version available on synaptic on debian?

I have no idea how to install or compile the game.

At first I was under the impression from what I heard from others that I would download the game from freeciv.org/download.html and after extracting and clicking an icon inside that the game should just auto start.

That didn't seem to be the case as it doesn't appear to be portable. So I went looking through all the instructions and the "install" and "read me" files in the extracted folder and found some 10,000 page long complicated guides that made me get lost more than guiding me.

Then I went to all the online wiki's and found similar instructions until I basically just searched "how to install freeciv on debian" and found no results, not even a video.

I attempted to run the command "make" with the proper commands as the guide dictates to compile the game myself (as the main instructions say to do so) and I get errors saying that there is no correct command or the location doesn't exist etc. etc. etc. I would really appreciate a simple and literal step by step guide that tells me exactly what I need to do in exactly what order so that I may get this running, and that doesn't seem to exist anywhere in any simple terms. If I could watch a video that said "1. do this, 2. do that, done" it would be enough for me. but as of now I'm stuck.

If anyone knows what to do to get the game and it's mods up and running I would really appreciate it. maybe I could share that guide if I happen to come across someone having the same problems as I. It's a really decent game and I know I will probably get sick of it in a few weeks anyway, until I find more mods or something but It would be a nice experience.

If my phone's screen cracked but the touch controls are fine, is it safe to assume I only need the front glass replaced?
The display seems fine too, only problem is cracks obscuring the image.

I did this just the other day, actually
don't know about mods, though i'm sure the wiki can help you with that
Here's my install process:
First, download the game, cd to your downloads directory, and tar -xjf the archive you downloaded. Then cd to the new directory.
In a separate terminal window or something, you're going to install some dependencies. Chances are, unless you compile things from source often, you'll have quite a bit to get.
1. Unix-based system
If you don't have this and you're trying to follow these instructions, chances are you're retarded.
2. GCC
You should have this already, check with "gcc -v". If it says some gcc stuff, you're good. If it gives you an error, install gcc with apt-get (I'm assuming you know how to use apt-get)
3. Various building tools
You probably don't have these, but they're needed to build a lot of stuff, including freeciv. Install the package "build-essentials". It should tell you it's going to install a few packages, such as make, libc-dev, etc. Once that's done, you're ready to install even more dependencies.
4. More dependencies
Get ready to fire up that apt-get, cause we've got millions of packages left to install. Here's a list:
By now you should (hopefully) have all the stuff freeciv needs to build.
5. Configuring
In your terminal, run ./configure. It should spit a bunch of text at you. If it stops with an error, it's probably about a package you need to install. If all goes well, it should show you a configure summary and you can move on to the next step. (Note: if you want freeciv to be installed in some weird nonstandard directory, pass the argument "--prefix=YourPathHere" when you run ./configure.)
6. Actually building it
Now you can finally type in "make" press enter, and sit about for a while as you watch gcc spew nonsensical things. Unless there's a horrendous error of some sort, it should (eventually) end well.
7. Installing
Installing freeciv is as easy as running sudo make install. It'll print some obscure messages, and assuming all went well, exit without any scary errors. Now you can delete the directory and run freeciv. I'm running i3 with dmenu, so I don't know whether it automatically shows up in a DE's start menu or what have you, but if you can't find it, just run freeciv-gtk.

Hopefully this helps, I'll be interested to here if it works.

Depends on whether the glass is optically bonded.

To my understanding, you are correct. However, it's rather difficult to separate the glass from the display, and replacing it requires delicate gluing. It might be safer just to replace the whole display assembly.

Well, from the actual replacement point of view i'm going to let a guy do it.
He offered me the best price (relatively) and said that he didn't have the part since the moto series is not at all common in my cuntry.
So he said if i ordered the part from the internet he'd install it for me.
I'm not very confident doing it myself after i butchered my moto g trying to replace a screen myself.

thanks user! I will try this. I will post and let anyone here know how it went in a while.

Alright I just got stuck...

>went to freeciv.org/download.html

I've done this before and failed, but just in case, what is the correct one to grab?

debian, as I mentioned... am I retarded?

there is no specific glib package, but rather many different glib similarly named packages.

depending on what I type "gtk3.0" or "gtk3"
I see

am I allowed to install the entire Freeciv game into one folder on my desktop so that the game is essentially portable and I have complete control over all its files in one place?

do you know the exact command for this, in the case that the folder on my desktop was called "poop"

quoted all my posts for ease of viewing

and to avoid confusion

Alright I'm a dumbass and fucked up my Trisquel. Now the menu looks like this. How do I revert it back to default?

can a skeleton die and have another skeleton inside of it? waiting... so... bleh.... *cough*

A brute force way should be to log out and drop to a try then delete the DE .folder under /home. However there may be a option on task bar to reset back to defaults. This is all just Idle speculation.

I don't know anything about this, but did you install anything new from your package manager? maybe you installed a new desktop environment?

if you only changed a setting without downloading anything new then I'm not sure. you might have to dig around in all the settings like "appearance" and customize desktop type stuff. I don't know what that's called in trisquel.

by the way, what package manager does trisquel have? synaptic!?

also does it have ufw and gufw?

does it have internet/wifi/wireless firmware/software ?

does it have systemd or is it freedom loving?

does trisquel have any games?

first of all you shouldn't delete your desktop environment, that would leave you with like just the terminal, and then you MIGHT be totally doomed.

wot

if only I could log out and drop to a try and save the world

Hey Holla Forums, how's it going?

Can you guys point me in the direction of a VM that can emulate an android phone? For a desktop OS I'd just use Virtualbox, but it doesn't look that works with smartphones.

Not the user you were expecting.
Yes it is based off Debian.
Most distributions have one at the very least.
Only libre (no none free blobs) versions, so depending on your wireless NIC it may not work.
It is endorsed by the FSF so it respects the four freedoms. You do realise that systemd respects those freedoms (at least in theory) right?

How would I change where user data is stored for a program? Specifically Qbittorrent has it saves the database of torrents in / which causes recovery problems and seems like a odd decision

Obcourse most Distributions have games in their repo`s. Debian/Ubuntu have the most out of the box, probably.
If you read again closely I recommended to log out and delete the users config folder under /home ```not``` to uninstall the DE.
I meant tty, bloody auto correct.

I don't think that is a decision. Seems like a bug. It doesn't store anything in / on either my Gentoo, Debian, or Arch installs.

I know what you mean but systemd is still a virus. its a linux coup

is there a way to get games from Ubuntu's repos to "just work" on debian?

Agreed.
Alien may be able to help you convert from a Ubuntu deb to a Debian one. Another option is to open the .deb and see what is needed, replacing missing parts with Debian eqilivalants.

You can emulate Android x86 in a conventional VM.

The official Android SDK includes an emulator.

Has anyone got any tutorials on how to setup Samba sharing in Arch? Is there an easier way to share a folder across the network? Having problems setting it up and would appreciate some help.

Running Fedora, I installed a new graphics driver and now Steam won't start. I blacklisted the previous driver, so the issue isn't a clash. I uninstalled and reinstalled, but nothing happens when I try to run it. Any suggestions?

For reference, this is me

Are you still here?

I am trying to install DilOS, but stuck at the login screen booted from ISO. It says user is root and password is empty, but still not logging in. Anybody wanna try it and see? It's only 90 MB to download.
dilos.org/about-dilos

sudo pacman -S samba
sudo vim /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]workgroup = $workgroupNameserver string = Samba Server %vnetbiosname = $computerNamesecurity = usermap to guest = bad user;interfaces = lo eth0

The problem will inevitably always be Valve's atrocious solution to the dynamic linking problem:
find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libgpg-error.so*" \) -print -deletefind ~/.local/share/Steam/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libgpg-error.so*" \) -print -delete
Every time Steam updates you will probably have to run these two commands. When you install it the first time you might have to run these twice within a few minutes: the first time you launch it and when it updates itself.

In addition here are some libraries they bundle with various games that might cause problems on newer distributions:
libasound.so.2, libGLU.so.1, and libSDL-1.2.so.0
These are game specific, you might run into them, and this list certainly isn't complete.
It depends on the game, some are bundled with the runtime and some are bundled within the steamapps folder by the game itself.

I ran your commands but Steam still didn't start. The error message I'm getting is

Additionally, I tried to run it using an old script below, but got a different, significantly longer error

export LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6'export DISPLAY=:0#export LIBGL_DEBUG=verbosesteam

Exactly what drivers did you install? The proprietary ones?
Have you installed the 32bit glx of the nvidia driver?
Can you get glxgears to run?

I was running the default Fedora driver nouveau which is shitty and I upgraded it to the Nvidia driver through the repository and blacklisted nouveau. I installed using the command:
dnf install akmod-nvidia "kernel-devel-uname-r == $(uname -r)"
Glxgears runs fine.

I haven't used Fedora in a few releases and certainly was never successful in using proprietary shit with it, but try installing `xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686`
According to a five second read of the docs on rpmfusion, that's probably what you want.

I'll give this a go, thank you! I constantly get a error message saying something like "error 255, net usershare add, cannot convert name "everyone" to a SID" so hopefully this fixes it! Also had an issue where smbd wouldn't start upon running the systemctl smbd enable command. Google proved fruitless :(

That's done it mate. Thanks heaps.

wat do?

Depends on the Debian derivative but on Debian you add contrib to whatever repository under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/something
and then install flashplugin-nonfree

For ubuntu idk but it's probably universe or partner repository, and there's probably a guide you can google for your specific distribution name/version number

My bad, debian jessie, I'll try it out.

Actually, if you're still around, though I've got Steam running, it keeps crashing after only a minute or two at most. Any suggestions?

Alrighty.
I have 3 sources.list files
When I go in as a superuser and do
cd /etc/apt/
and then
ls
I get, in the middle collumn
sources.list
sources.list~
sources.list.d

Yet while trying to acsess it, I get permission denied.
While as superuser, showing up as root@[computerName]:/#
What the fuck is going on.
And yes, I did do su
and then my password.

Stop using that script and run it directly from a terminal, see what it spits out or dumps.

There's a huge amount of shit in terminal when I do that. I'll post what seems relevant.
*** Error in `/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam': free(): invalid pointer: 0xf3217e80 ***
r/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libSM.so.6.0.1[2016-06-27 16:30:36] Startup - updater built Jun 14 2016 23:23:08Looks like steam didn't shutdown cleanly, scheduling immediate update check[2016-06-27 16:30:37] Checking for update on startup[2016-06-27 16:30:37] Checking for available updates...[2016-06-27 16:30:38] Download skipped: /client/steam_client_ubuntu12 version 1465948400, installed version 1465948400[2016-06-27 16:30:38] Nothing to do[2016-06-27 16:30:38] Verifying installation...[2016-06-27 16:30:38] Performing checksum verification of executable files[2016-06-27 16:30:40] Verification completeUnable to remove /home/user/.local/share/Steam/CONFIG/SteamAppData.vdf!assert_20160627163036_1.dmp[18526]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)/tmp/dumps/assert_20160627163036_1.dmpassert_20160627163036_1.dmp[18526]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yesassert_20160627163036_1.dmp[18526]: response: CrashID=bp-3645ebd1-1433-4770-9cec-fe86d2160626assert_20160627163036_1.dmp[18526]: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20160627163036_1.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-3645ebd1-1433-4770-9cec-fe86d2160626''/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 753: 18222 Aborted (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH" "$@"

Post the backtrace, specifically.

What is a good method for leaving messages and information on a NAS without using Source control like Git?

And if it comes down to it try steam --reset
Which will delete all your games and reset everything.
But I imagine it's just shitting itself on some 32 bit lib that isn't installed after we deleted them.

It's suddenly not crashing. I rebooted and it crashed on the auto startup, but when I subsequently started it through terminal it hasn't crashed since.

I also should note that my PC slows to a crawl when Steam starts to struggle, and my mouse won't even move at all.

I don't want to lose all my games, as I have slow internet and, being Australian, it has a monthly cap.

Well just in case you do have to do it in the future, move all games to a different library using the steam interface before you run steam --reset
Then, once you've logged in and all that you can re-add the library.
If it comes down to that.
Just watch the backtrace, you might not have 32 bit libs installed that we deleted. They'd have probably caused you problems anyways, they've caused me extensive problems personally, which is why I just nuke them and install the 32 bit libs using the package manager of my distro.

It finally crashed again. I wonder if it has to do with the installation of games. Also I'm a noob and I'm not sure what you mean by backtrace. Here's the terminal output around the time of the crash.
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1465948400)assert_20160627164932_1.dmp[8104]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)/tmp/dumps/assert_20160627164932_1.dmp/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 753: 3252 Segmentation fault (core dumped) $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$STEAMEXEPATH" "$@"Refresh rate: 1 [about 200 of these]Refresh rate: 60 [about 20 of these]assert_20160627164932_1.dmp[8104]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yesassert_20160627164932_1.dmp[8104]: response: CrashID=bp-473a544c-1e8b-423e-9a27-7019c2160627assert_20160627164932_1.dmp[8104]: file ''/tmp/dumps/assert_20160627164932_1.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-473a544c-1e8b-423e-9a27-7019c2160627''

I have the problem of since yesterday that my youtube account, which before was always logged on, now everytime that I enter in youtube my account is logged off, and I have to reactivate it always.

Everytime that I closes off Firefox and then start it, when going to youtube, this happens again.

How do I fix this?

This worked! Thanks!

What is your cookie settings? Has Firefox been updated? Is the "remember me" box ticked?

Using Ublock, and also Self-destructing Cookies (but i put them in never delete cookies in Youtube). Also other plugins.

And in Firefox setting I have:
network.cookie.cookieBehavior = 1
network.cookie.lifetimePolicy = 2
browser.cache.offline.enable = false

I had this before, and I didnt have any problems before.

I'm a noob, but use GNU/Linux in a daily basis.
I would like to sink deeper into the libre universe if Stallmanism.
Would someone spoonfeed me enough to be able to set up an Emacs/Hurd VM, preferably in Virtualbox.

Install Debian GNU/HURD and set it up to boot Emacs when you start it.

Where can I get a free iso of windows 10 professional?

Will try.
Thank you.

Has anyone else ever had problems with migrating policeman settings? Last times I tried to migrate a mozilla profile, policeman got fucked up, losing not only the rules I had saved but also the default ruleset.

And where are its settings stored btw? I thought I deleted them but even after reinstalling it the rulesets are still not there.

Using Debian with Gnome. Why ctrl-alt-t won't make a terminal window appea? And how do I make it happen?

Find the keyboard shortcuts menu and change it.

So Linuxfags, I am considering turning from Windows 7 to Ubuntu, but that's not a part of the question. Do you guys just not play any games? Linux is compatible with pretty much no games, so how do you cope?

Also, using wine doesnt count. Most games don't work on windows XP anymore.

About a third of the games on Steam are on Linux. That's a fair amount.

Wine doesn't work with newly-released AAA titles, but it has support for a ton of other games, including things after Windows XP. Take a look here:
appdb.winehq.org/

Linux has good support for emulators.

Some people game in a Windows VM. PCI passthrough can give a good performance.

Gaming on Linux is no longer a weird thing to do if gaming isn't your primary use for computers.

user plz. But to answer your question, most of the games I like just happen to either have good ports or work in WINE (not to mention emulators). Dualbooting is an option, though. I've got an eSATA port on the front of my computer, so when I want to play a game that I can't get to work on Linux, I can just plug in my Windows 7 drive. I might build a seperate Windows machine eventually, but it'll be for 98 and DOS.

In a happymeal at McDonalds

What Userscript do you use for 8ch?
Is there anything better than Pashe's 8chanx?

The games that I want to play work on Linux

What are the possible reasons why I am receiving so many icmp packets on my little laptop?

Do you have time sync (NTTP?) enabled?

nope

I swear there was a command that emulated an osciollator from the X terminal. Anybody know which I mean?

I think its better to use vmware virtual machine

is seagate
It's going to trash if luckily not soon enough

that ECC is bad sign, i hope that's not an SSD otherwise it will die sooner.

If it is then my advice is never fall on SSD meme. memefied by pcworld or techcrunch consumer sites, SSD stores data not with redundancy but probability (error check based data always lose integrity, in other words if (1,X,1,1) then (1) with X being lost /error bit)

You can buy a decent but old core2duo laptop at the price of $150 USD not on online stores, Last I saw the store I got a decent laptop sells quality pentium4 pc (and another one free) with complete shit including a decent TFT monitor for $200. It's better to buy from these experts on refurbishing shit than doing it yourself, I also have feeling they already put new thermal paste into it and its cleaned of dust and software and comes with limited warranty.

I'd suggest getdataback NTFS for goodies :^) recovery

one question is that a laptop?
you can change your power management to balanced or power saver then put anything beneath to provide better heat dissipitation. also check if there are stability patches for the game, maybe its just consuming too much CPU due to a bug.

anything higher than 256 would be nicer tho.

vpnbook.

ath9k is always like that on laptops, I encountered that on 3 laptops i installed with arch.
Nice upgrade for that new craptop would be HDD Caddy

run #dhcpcd
You said you can find router, maybe you only had to manually set your IP address, wifi is a mess, i just plug in ethernet interface and run #dhcpcd.

maybe you have a physical kill/switch of wlan? do you have any LED indicators/blinkers when its opened?
Try checking your BIOS if theres option to enable WLAN, there's alco an ACPI option on the BIOS try which one works fine for installers,

Since its a new UEFI model laptop I suggest you use the UEFI for installing and not use legacy boot, You must burn a UEFI bootable DVD or it won't install to UEFI. You can use DriveDroid app for android if you think burning dvds or making bootable flash drives are gay (it is). Maybe if it boots UEFI those acpi errors will go away.

you need it installed and it requires linux DKMS to be updated so its not a nice option.

(?) an SSD on the wifi card port, an HDD caddy if theres a DVD bay.
ark.intel.com search for your chipset and look for max RAM

IPS sucks. TFT is best

x86_64

#testdisk
should work

openmailbox
outlook

use imgmagick, better

*buntu

It maybe reflowed junk unless they're a legit refurbish shop that offer warranty

HGST Hitachi Toshiba. Disable write cache.

kek

If i remember press shift+mouseclick or maybe alt

trisquel UI easily fucks up which is why i dropped using it.

I think your phone or some device within your network is pinging your laptop's IP.

Okay this is odd. I try to open Firefox and it gives me a weird error that it can't open so I think it's weird and I try to reboot and try to open it again and it gives me the same error so then I try reinstalling it and it gives me an error like "failed to commit transaction" and talks about how all these files already exist in the file system and it just won't install. So I think "okay so I'll just remove Firefox and install it clean" and I try that and it still gives me the same error and now I don't have Firefox. Can anyone help me out here?

I need to scrape google air for reasons.
I think that I`ll need to use a Python script to get the data. Any suggestion on where to look?

google.nl/flights/#search;f=AMS,ZYA;t=SYD;d=2016-07-14;r=2016-07-18;tt=o;eo=e

That looks very Web 9.0™. You can't get the information on those pages without running javascript. Try finding another source.

Did holocaust really happen?

Does Holla Forums/CloudFlare spy on us?

Is this a meme?

Probably, unless you're from Holla Forums, in which case, no, of course not.
Holla Forums maybe, Cloudflare probably. There's no way to know for sure.
Yes.

Thanks user.

do a full system upgrade.
delete the cache
/home/[user]/.cache/mozilla/firefox
reinstall

It will happen. Gods wrath is upon the jews if you read the bible.
cloudflare is botnet for sure. I don't trust cloudflare and they can manipulate what goes in and out but there's no alternative yet for its good DDoS mitigation since Holla Forums before used to be easily fucked.
Everything you said.

Oh, and how can you find a Holla Forums gf?

So i recently torrented Photoshop CS6 and i cant open any type of video file in it. Any suggestions as to whats going on and how to fix it?

Photoshop is an image editor, not a video editor.

t. gimp user

photoshop can edit videos on a basic level

im not trying to do anything fancy just trying to convert some small videos to Gif format since most online converters are complete shite.

use ffmpeg negro

ffmpeg(1)

will do ive been using xmedia recode for all my conversions so far but ill give this a try. thanks

is there a written guide for this anywhere? because im definitely going to need help navigating this.

Imgmagick just recently (within the last month or so) has had a security venerability. Does user really need all that supported,there is a minium fork that I would recomend.
Read the spiders web that is the manpage. There is an example for converting to mp3, just replace the mp3 codec`s with the gif codec`s and it should all work. The manpage will tell you where to find a list of all the codec`s. Or you could use this new fangdangeled "search engine" thingy.

appreciate it bud

What's alien? how do I get it?

help please

I`ve started to play with the google API. Any tips on how to do multiple json request (?) in one go?
Google only allows for 50 free queries per day and I want to have the results from multiple dates in one go.

{
"request": {
"slice": [
{
"origin": "AMS",
"destination": "SYD",
"date": "2016-07-01"
}
],
"passengers": {
"adultCount": 1,
"infantInLapCount": 0,
"infantInSeatCount": 0,
"childCount": 0,
"seniorCount": 0
},
"solutions": 500,
"refundable": false
}
}

the retarded know God better than anyone else (maybe)

how many levels of irony are you on

It is a program that allows you to convert between package formats. You should be able to get it from your repo.

So about an hour ago I started smelling burning plastic coming from my PC. My display then turned off while everything else kept running. I turned the computer off, blew the dust out of everything with compressed air, and gave it a visual inspection. Everything looked okay, so I turned the computer back on. It booted up, but I only got as far as the start screen before the display turned off again. I tried one more time, but now it won't even turn all the way on. I'm guessing (hoping) it's the PSU, but what else would it be if it wasn't?

Check thermal paste and ram slots
Does the computer beep?

It doesn't beep but it never did. RAM looks fine, I don't have any thermal paste at the moment but I'll get some.

Also check if the GPU is properly seated. Check for burn/scorch marks in the case to give you a clue about any burnt places. A component burning is actually pretty uncommon.

On an unrelated note, can you try testing each of your RAm sticks one by one?

I will be sure to try all that and see what happens. Thanks.

So I switched the GPU around in the PCI slots and it turns on now. However it's not recognizing my SSD. It recognizes both of my RAM sticks just fine it seems though.

I have a phone and shit service in my house with consistent disconnecting from cellular networks and it requires me to enter airplane mode and exit to force the connection. Are there any android apps that do this for me?

probably that. make sure your heatsink is properly attached

I'm trying to do a system update but I get this problem

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies):: lib32-sdl2_ttf: installing sdl2_ttf (2.0.14-1) breaks dependency 'sdl2_ttf=2.0.12'

the lib32-sdl_ttf apparently requires sdl2_ttf and sdl2_ttf requires a specific version of lib32-sdl_ttf. So I can't update either of them. Can anyone figure this fucking thing out?

The PC I use for gaming has most of the games installed on a secondary drive. When I play a game on Steam like Dark Souls III or Wolfenstein: The New Order, my computer freezes at some point after making a stutter. Everything freezes and yet the fans in my case are spinning. Even the fan on the 960 I own. This didn't happen with any of the GOG games that are 3D such as FEAR 2. Either the drivers I have are causing me problems even after rolling back or something in my case is going bad like the PSU, the RAM, or even the mobo.

OH MY FUCKEENG GOD

Let this be a warning to those who try to use GUI partition managers

I was resizing my ext4 torrent/data partition and KDE Partition Manager just crashed.

It's now reporting two partitions of unknown filesystem types. I've got a backup from a year ago, but I'm ballparking the data loss at about 400 gig or so of anime and films that I liked.

mount -t ext4 gives me wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock error.

What do I do, tech?

You try TestDisk, and if that fails, you use PhotoRec to recover files individually.

yeah, ping the maintainer and tell him to fix his shit.

Thanks friend

It was slinging blocks around the disk when it crashed, so I think I'm in deep shit at this point. e2fsck is refusing every superblock I try.

Holy fuck, would you wonder at what is happening now.

I recreated the whole disk partition, canceled the format, and boy, e2fsck is working and pissed off! It's been filling the console window with block numbers that it doesn't like for the past five minutes.

Did I hear a grinding noise? That's probably bad.
Oh shit, Chrome is freaking out. Abort.
It's taking an extremely long time. Cancel.
wat
Pic related. It's what it's been doing. I don't know if it'll pull through. I figure after it's done I'll wipe the drive. Thoughts?

Do you remember which board? What site?

read the smart data as a first step

it was on Holla Forums /k/. i just looked through the board to see if i could find the post again. of course, i can't.

you think malware could kill a hard drive? maybe i half way downloaded some ransomware? yeah, i knew i shouldn't trust tripfags, but that's what i get.

good thing a replacement would only cost about 50.

smart data?

download hd tune pro

look at the S.M.A.R.T data page.

Why is Ubuntu 16.04 slow? Is it because I do not have a graphics driver for it? I have a radeon 5970 or something like that.

gotcha. i'll post results tomorrow.

What the fuck is a good thing to learn programming? I know jack shit about it and I want to learn some to help with my job and an engineer

I understand there are programs for writing code and then compiling code. That is about it.

Be more careful next time. I suggest getting NoScript.

and here we go

HD Tune Pro: ST31000528AS Health

ID Current Worst ThresholdData Status
(01) Raw Read Error Rate 102 73 6 5098752 ok
(03) Spin Up Time 95 94 0 0 ok
(04) Start/Stop Count 94 94 20 7088 ok
(05) Reallocated Sector Count 100 100 36 0 ok
(07) Seek Error Rate 81 60 30 144297915 ok
(09) Power On Hours Count 60 60 0 35521 ok
(0A) Spin Retry Count 100 100 97 0 ok
(0C) Power Cycle Count 98 98 20 2547 ok
(B7) SATA Downshift Count 1 1 0 27482 ok
(B8) End To End Error Detection 100 100 99 0 ok
(BB) Uncorrectable Error Count 1 1 0 36280 ok
(BC) Command Timeout 100 99 0 12885098502 ok
(BD) Unknown Attribute 98 98 0 2 ok
(BE) Airflow Temperature 68 53 45 589168672 ok
(C2) Temperature 32 47 0 34359738400 ok
(C3) Hardware ECC Recovered 46 21 0 5098752 ok
(C5) Current Pending Sector 100 100 0 27 warning
(C6) Offline Uncorrectable 100 100 0 27 ok
(C7) Interface CRC Error Count 200 200 0 0 ok
(F0) Head Flying Hours 100 253 0 255696583042858 ok
(F1) Unknown Attribute 100 253 0 -1300657304 ok
(F2) Unknown Attribute 100 253 0 1918965990 ok

Health Status : warning

How can you post from GNU lisp macros editor? With a quick test I get a "You look like a bot" error, which must be referer related. Iunno.

In the same editor, how can you open files with a specific tool? For example, opening a .mp4 locally or online would direct the file to mpv.

Why is the iphone such a piece of shit that it won't let my 4S install ibooks?

Or let me just read my fucking cartoons on it by dropping images?

Change your referrer to "suck my dick Jim" or something. Dunno how tho.

Smash the iShit, get a Nexus 5.

I wanna install a network printer (OKI B440) on my Ubuntu 16.04 But all it offers me is a .gz file and everytime I google how to install them the first response is not to install them.
Also, it's not a tar.gz fule but a .tar_tcm3-66122.gz file. Is there a difference.

However, during my attempt to use the terminal I found it impossible to navigate to the directory the file is in, because one folder has an empty space in its name so it doesnt find the directory. Now I want to know how to get the terminal to list all folders in a directory so I can look up how it names that folder.

There should not really be a difference, seeing as it only seems to be a naming difference.
ls -a or ls ll may help. Also does auto tab completion not exist?

/directory/ ls -a and /directory/ ls ll only say "this is a directory"
typing ls -a shows me a bunch of stuff in different colours. it seems to be the contents of my home folde,r except not really. there's stuff there not listed and stuff listed that's not there.

Anyone? PLEASE

1.5 year-old laptop with 8.1 pre-installed.

So supposedly I can't get it to activate, with fucking anything, unless I reset it to factory settings but I don't really have anywhere else to put all my shit, and I just want it to stop doing pic related to me every hour or two.

She's fugged. Buy a new drive and attempt to copy your important files over, using testdisk and photorec as above.

If copying files via explorer does not work*

I remember that 4chan started using this just as the exodus happened, and now more sites I use have started with it. I know this is a privacy threat, the wiki had information on what data it logs.

Also from the wiki:

I already use uMatrix to block scripts from Google, but since I'm still a layman I need a more complete explanation. Specifically,
I assume after that it will give me a non-checkbox captcha which does not collect things like IP address and keystrokes.

It also requires you to type out a long, nightmarish farrago of Icelandic and Gaelic that has been compressed horizontally. It's impossible.

Anyone recommend a program to backup a win7 comp to an external?

Oh well, those websites aren't worth it. The wiki also says that 4chan X can automate that step, but wouldn't that only be on 4chan's captcha? Thanks anyway.

Including Windows? I'm pretty sure it can't boot from USB.

On Ubuntu, is there a way to check if my hard drive is encrypted through the terminal? I'm having a hard time remember if I installed it encrypted or not.

Thank you actually. Posting from Ubuntu right now.

I wanted to try out i3 but as soon as I logged into it it was unable to do anything cleaning it was lacking a terminal emulator. Now I can't even exit i3 to go back to KDE. Is there a way to unfuck my laptop or at least recover some data off of it?

Please someone help me out

What program is this?

nvm, google image search...

zune

Is there any way to use only the rear camera on a Nexus 5? I've manually detached the front one since I never use it but the camera app refuses to work without it.

And if both of them don't work you can still take a shot with a pirated R-Studio Technician, it managed to recover the whole folder structure too for me.

So, I tried installing Flash, and, when I do
# apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
I get the following error:
Package 'flashplugin-nonfree' has no installation candidate, but is refered to by another package...
By the way, I already edited my sources.list to look like:
# # # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.5.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1 20160604-15:31]/ jessie main#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.5.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 NETINST Binary-1 20160604-15:31]/ jessie maindeb debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ jessie main contrib non-freedeb-src debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ jessie main contrib non-freedeb security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-freedeb-src security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'deb debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-freedeb-src debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
Wat do?

there's another package called "gnash"

I think it's an alternative to flash.

look it up.

can someone help me please?

How good is the opera browser?
I just found out it has an in built VPN.
Is it trustworthy or is it Chrome-tier?

Same. Fucking. Error.
Wake me up inside.

I turned on my computer and within a few minutes it shuts down. I looked at my temp and the mobo, cpu, gpu, and hdd all report a temp of 150C. Any idea what to do?

I fat-handed my phone and dropped it in water. It was working last night right after I did it, but all evening as I was falling asleep, and all this morning, it would boot, stay booted for five-to-ten minutes, then reboot spontaneously. After bootlooping for the better part of ten hours, I put it in rice hoping it'd dry out. I'm worried that the damage might already be done, however.

Worst case scenario is that I'll need to move phones again. Only phone I've got worth a shit is a Nokia N900, but I'm concerned that it might be just old enough to not be worthwhile. It looks like it can work with HSPA, (but not with AT&T?), although it doesn't look like it'll work with 802.11n, let alone AC. I'm also worried that it won't work with MMS, just SMS.

Does anyone still have an N900 that can tell me if I can hobble by with it as a daily driver phone, or am I up Shit's Creek?

Well friends, this is what a recovered ext4 filesystem looks like.

Those satanic trips. If you get to tty one (Alt + Crtl + 1) , you can then Ctrl + C the GUI running on tty seven. After that remove i3 via terminal commands. Then sudo reboot and everything should be fine.
I would suggest switching to Open Camera available on F-Droid.
How old is the desktop? Specifically GPU, CPU and PSU? Is it a perbuilt? Hopeffully these ideas my help, take off both side panels and put a fan next to them. Also move your desktop`s rear further away from the wall and check all fans for dust.
Arch`s wiki page will have commands that you can run to check.

Sounds like you've never used a command line before? They allow you to control your computer by typing commands from a terminal. (which used to be a seperate machine, but now it's just a window that you type in called a terminal emulator) Your typical Linux distro comes with two terminal emulators, one that you can find in your program menus (so find it yourself) and one that you can switch to by pressing control + alt + one of the F# keys. (F1-F6 take you to six different terminals and F7 takes you back to the desktop envorinment. this one's handy if your desktop fucks up) So you just open one of those and type commands.

"cd" is the command to change your directory, which is just another word for folder. Usually when you open a terminal, you start in your home directory. (/home/[your username] in most distros including Debian) So if you want to "cd" to your desktop, you just type
and you're there.

That's a command to extract archives like the one freeciv is in. On a typical Debian setup you can double click on the archive, just like opening a zip on Windows. Then you can drag it onto your desktop. But typing
would do the same thing. the ~ is short for your home directory.

To compile FreeCIV, just type these commands:
or whatever folder you actually put it in. If you're not sure, you can type "ls" to list all the files and folders in your current directory. If you press tab twice while typing a command it'll give you suggestions.
the "." means the directory you're in, so this runs a script named "configure" that's in the folder you're in, which should be the freeciv folder. If it gives you an error, then post it. Something might be missing.
It's a program that compiles things. "configure" made a file that tells it what to do.
this installs the game that you just compiled. Now it'll be in your games menu, and you can also run it from the command line by typing "freeciv-gtk2"

I hope it was worth the weight. You can learn more about the command line and other commands you can use from videos and pdf related.

Why does this work

#define BCD(X) ((X % 10) | ((X / 10) tm_mon + 1;nvrram[RTCMONTH] = BCD(mon);

but this doesn't

#define BCD(X) ((X % 10) | ((X / 10) tm_mon + 1);

It seems like the bottom one is adding to the pointer and then BCDing. How do I fix this?

I have heard many anons mention that they enjoyed GNU icecat. supposdely it comes stripped of the bad features that firefox normally has as it is a fork. I'm going to try it in a few days when I'm done cooking all these carrots. I have so many carrots and they are going to go bad so I must cook them all and eat carrots every day!

youtube.com/watch?v=vtiFVKdZqKQ

for you. maybe it makes you feel a little better.

Icecat has great default settings, but unfortunately security updates have a huge delay. Install it from Guix (which does update it on time) if you can.

It's a prebuilt laptop, it was manufactured sometime between November 2009 and February 2010. I've already cleaned out the vents and the like but I notice that the computer fans are displaying N/A for fan speed. I opened it up and saw none of them were spinning so while I figure it out I have a desk fan and two USB fans forcing airflow through the system and out the exhaust port.

I notice the price on a new fan is about $40 but I'm going to see if there's a computer shop that can test my fan. If it fails then it's a $40 fix, but if it doesn't that means the mobo croaked and it'll cost about $160 to buy a replacement and for $160 I might as well start investing in a new computer.

I have used terminal before. I just never did this specific thing before.

that was the scariest thing I ever did with terminal, and had no idea that existed. that you so much friend.

so how does the command know that I'm in my freeciv folder? do I have to have only one folder open at that very moment, and that folder must be the unzipped/extracted folder of freeciv?

does this also just automatically know what I just complied and where it is?

they also wanted me to install
there is no specific glib package, but rather many different glib similarly named packages.

what should I do?

they also wanted me to do this but:

depending on what I type "gtk3.0" or "gtk3"

I see

what should I do?

am I allowed to install the entire Freeciv game into one folder on my desktop so that the game is essentially portable and I have complete control over all its files in one place?

do you know the exact command for this, in the case that the folder on my desktop was called "poop"

yes but double clicking doesn't extract anything, it just lets you view the inside. am I supposed to NOT extract anything, and be inside the folder viewing the Not-extracted contents or can I simply right click and click "extract here"?

will this allow me to install the entire game of freeciv and 100% of all it's files into a single folder on my desktop? I don't want its files scattered around my whole computer.

but that other user told me to install packags related to gtk3 or something?

I really appreciate your help, but would it be too much trouble if I asked for a high detail step by step guide that says exactly what to do in the correct order so that I can make the game function and the entire games contents all be inside a single folder on the desktop?

all of these are basically one post split up, marking them like this for ease of reading.

It's a lowercase L bro

Because you are, if you typed "cd freeciv-2.5.4". "cd" takes the command prompt to whatever folder you type. If your username is "faggot" and you type "cd ~/cancer" then you'd be in the folder /home/faggot/cancer. If there's an executable called "shitpost" and you type "./shitpost" then it would execute "/home/faggot/cancer/shitpost".

You should already have these, so just try compiling first and if you don't have them then it'll tell you.

yes.

If your username was faggot:
./configure --prefix=/home/faggot/Desktop/poop
If you're doing it that way, then when you get to the "sudo make install" step leave out the "sudo". (also, configure won't let you use a ~ so you have to enter /home/faggot)

You need to extract the files in order to compile them. It doesn't matter where.

No, you do that with the configure command above. "cd" changes the directory of the command prompt.

Freeciv supports both gtk2 and gtk3, and it just uses whichever one you have installed. I use gtk2 because gtk3 is ugly.

Sure. Use the graphical terminal so you can paste stuff. (right click or ctrl+shift+v) It'll be in your menu somewhere. I don't know what desktop environment you have but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Just paste these commands.

We're moving to your desktop.
We're downloading the source code for Freeciv.
Now we're extracting it.
The contents of that archive happened to be a folder with the same name. Now we're going inside.
Now it's running the configure script (did I call it an executable? i didn't mean to) just like before, which makes a file (called a makefile) that tells the next two commands what to do. Only this time it's also telling the last one where to put the files.
Now it's actually compiling the files.
Now it's putting those files in the folder that the makefile told it to put them in.

That's it. The files should be in /home/faggot/Desktop/freeciv. You can run the game by double clicking /home/faggot/Desktop/freeciv/bin/freeciv-[gtk2 or gtk3]

Wrapping the Xs in parens seems to have fixed it

#define BCD(X) (((X) % 10) | (((X) / 10)

can i haz sauce on music?

youtube.com/watch?v=BDMmj5WgB8c

Nope, that app doesn't work eitherc

How do I download music from Myspace? All I can do right now is play it.

lmao what a retard

what kind of sad bait is this.

Is it fucked?

There's probably a problem with your hard drive, or maybe with your filesystem. Create a bootable USB drive and see if you can access your files that way. If not, look into disk recovery software. If you can, this might solve it:

I've gotten into the habit of suspending my computer rather than turning it off, my current uptime is ~30 days. I've noticed that new or moved files aren't displaying thumbnails any more, and that if I reboot the problem usually goes away.

My question is: where can I look in the files/logs to actually see this problem? and if I can fix it, should I, or am I an idiot for not regularly rebooting? (xubuntu by the way)

Move ~/.thumbnails to ~/.thumbnails.old. If that doesn't fix it, move it back.

didn't work
my home folder has plenty of space on it, why can't .thumbnails just take more files?

this may fuck everything up, but it might just fix it.

if it starts telling you "press y for fix" just keep pressing y and fix everything.

then make a backup of all your files on a usb or external hard drive as fast as you can, then reinstall the computer, or get new harddrive for computer then reinstall linux or something

warning: may fuck everything up

but some people said it worked for them.

when you are in that weird black area it gives you option to type yes?

type:
sudo fsck.ext4 -f /dev/sda1

thanks anons, you really helped me. I did it! and I learned a little.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

people PLEASE backup all your data on an external hard drive. the ones with a few terabytes are way cheaper now. it's well worth it and prevents FULL loss of you data. PLEASE, back up.

No problem, glad I could help.

I forgot to mention that it gave me loads of errors, basically mentioning packages from synaptic in those errors (very clear and easy to understand errors! kinda.) and I went back and reinstalled loads of packages that I already had, and got a few more small new ones, i hate to search GTK+ as it was the best search term, and I made sure I had lots of packages that sounded related. tried again? WOOOOOOOOO! it werks!

came with the mod installer inside too!

I just don't know how to activate the sound because you download a mod that mentions sound but I have no idea how to do it. researching like crazy and the wiki's mention commands that return "no such file or directory"
same with trying to use a different tileset from the mods.
there's some tilesets like Ampliohexbig and the other freeland (big) or something that basically make the tiles a little bigger so you can see everything better but I get the same errors trying to start the game with that.

oh well...

but hey this is great! updated version!

I wonder if the same things I learned apply to installing "Endless Sky"?

the rulesets were in the game automatically and were fine.

I had to search GTK+

It was mostly backed up on two off-site hard drives. e2fsck appears to have successfully recovered the data, with the exception of some file and directory names. I ran data checks on everything I still have torrents for, and md5summed a sample of the rest.

I am now retiring a vertex 2 and turning a 0.5 TB HDD into another backup in preparation for installing mint 18.

e2fsck?

what was the whole command you did? just in case I get messed up one day.

also
wow some people really like that don't they.

I didn't use options for e2fsck. I did have to recreate the ext4 volume and stop the format though. There is probably a better way with parted.

What do you recommend, then? This fedora 22 I use is EOL and KDE has been an unmitigated shoah.

Lads, at startup I'm getting something called setup.exe it's also an invisible tab (when I alt-tab I can see it), I don't find an option to disable it, help?

I did this, but I read the warning.

I meant to say, but read the warning.

Thanks but I managed to fix I3 by installing some missing dependencies. now my problem is I don't know how to connect to Wi-Fi and run KDE connect within i3.

Trashmanon, reporting in.
Today's garbage surfing produced these fruits of labour.
The total was, again, 2 €, with the inclusion of Rome: Total War Gold (not pictured).

The question this time is the following:
How do I get the processor off the fan so I can at least see what kind of processor it is?

Thinner or turpetine are good for getting rid of the thermal grease. Just apply a bit and try pulling it off. It won't break.

Thanks, will try it tomorrow if I have the time.
What about that giant ass "cooler" on the graphics card? Can/should I replace it with a fan?

Dunno about KDE connect, but nm-applet plays well with i3 for connecting to wifi

Uhh I wouldn't change the GPU cooler if I were you. That's not supposed to be replaceable like CPU coolers.
Some manufacturers sell custom GPUs with better coolers. But you gotta buy the whole graphics card that comes with it.

can you not?

NVM, apparently you can but it voids the warranty and it's a slightly more troublesome process.

computerhope.com/issues/ch001406.htm

Ok something is fucky with me over here. Basically, I broke my motherboard (don't ask) so I needed to replace it, everything else works fine. So, I got a new motherboard and connected everything to it and it kind of works. Like, the PC turns on and an image is displayed on the screen (the motherboard logo, as normally appears when you start up a computer.)

Then, since I'm reusing my old hard drive, the windows 8 (I'm sorry) logo flashes, as if it was starting up normally, the windows logo vanishes and I get a black screen. Now normally at this point the start menu would appear, but instead my monitor just stops showing picture altogether. The computer remains on but I just have no image from this point at all. I've tried entering the driver disk that came with the motherboard and I've tried entering my windows 8 disk but I still get the same result.

Is there something major I've overlooked like a retard? Is there some fuckery I can do in the BIOS? I could probably get my hand on another disk with a copy of windows already on it, should I try that?

This is a brute force method. Open task manager and find the location of the exe. Then reboot into safe mode, go to the location and delete that entire folder. Now go to the startup folder and delete that short cut. Also check seduled tasks and the registry, deleting any that relate to that location. Hopefully after rebooting it should be gone.
Have you tried getting into safe mode and replacing GPU drivers? Also run disk check (I don`t renember it`s name) and see if there is a problem.

Mabye try Focal, QuickSnap. I can't test though as my front camera is till attached with tape on top of it though. How hard was it to remove the camera and did you have to edit any files to make it boot?

I mean a program to backup my computer. The one built into win7 always gives errors to many (most, all?) people right before it's done.

Oops. Wrong post.

Hey guys, long story short I really need a copy of Daz Windows Activator.

Can anyone help me out?

If you have ran and installed any updates at all it is very likely to not work.

Is there a way to list files in terminal while typing out a command?
I know that there is autocomplete, but I want to list the files while I'm in a path without typing cd first?
so like if I"m typing
cd /path/to/
I'd like to be able to quickly list /path/to
and then continue typing once I see the directory I want.

I'm pretty sure I've seen somebody do that...

Should I block googleapis? Is it confirmed botnet?

Again, thanks. Found this nice, short and simple guide.
You can't embed on Holla Forums?
youtube.com/watch?v=BOz6sqwau98

And this fun little guide on how to apply the thermal paste back on again: youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

My external harddrive isn't showing up normally. I think it's corrupted in some way. How can I fix this?

I know it's not a hardware issue because it still lights up and spins like normal

running manjaro

I can guess it's something that doesn't worth the electricity in standby.

Embedding lets Google/Youtube track every page view.

Except mine!

Of course, how silly of me.

Well, I can't because I'm a dumbass as evidenced by the reply above.

Which format?

What is the best pdf viewer for windows?

your browser should open a pdf file just as fine

any malicious code embedded into the pdf might get information about the browser's environment and/or call home. (although browsers might have already fixed that problem)
in any case, use ..

.. adobe acrobat reader instead, because having to open the browser just for reading pdf files can be annoying, also limited functionality

what is the most legal/stealth way of attaining a copy of windows XP?

for free*

Is this truly reddit?

What are you going to do with it?

I would suggest MuPDF if just for reading. I think it can also do annotations and other stuff as well.

Group starts off great, grows big and well known, finally self crushing.

Is there a way to sandbox an operating system without using a virtual machine? It it possible to sandbox a partition or something?

There are several ways to do that, if you're on Linux or some other Unix-like. Why do you want this? Do you need it to be securely separated from the host?

I was thinking of using a Windows partition that cannot interfere with my Linux partition or the bootloader.

You need some sort of virtual machine for that.

You don't have to use a virtual machine when both operating systems can share parts. Instead of running a Linux virtual machine on Linux there are ways to use the same kernel for both systems and save a lot of resources and effort. You don't have to run the guest's kernel.

But Linux's kernel can't replace Windows' kernel. You need to run the full Windows system, and that takes a virtual machine.

That said, there might be virtual machine setups that use a real disk instead of a virtual disk.

I don't see a problem with using adobe acrobat reader if your demands of ethical software are low enough for you to use windows.

also

there is no difference between Holla Forums now and 2 years ago. 4cuck/b/ way of arguing tbh.

What is the best pdf viewer for gnoonix then?

Evince if you want something sleek, Okular if you want tons of features, mupdf if you want something simple and keyboard-driven, Emacs if you want to do everything in Emacs.

None of these just werk like sumatra for windows.

WINDOWS WINS AGAIN

Evince has an incredible amount of werks.

I've been using evince for a few years. Did they remove the right hand vertical scroll bar or did it never have one? I seem to remember it having one. Is there any key binding to toggle it that I could have hit by accident? Or am I just crazy?

Is there a smaller size version of OpenSUSE? Can i trust MiniSUSE? I'm trying to fit it on a 4 GB USB and the ISO size is 4,7

Sumatra PDF, my jungle snake friend.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

what are you upset about? curious.

What email provider should I use, Holla Forums?

am i good for my first language to be lisp?

make a cock.li throwaway until your protonmail account is available

I took one of those quizzes for deciding a language to learn and got mainly assembly, and lisp once (went threw it three times to see what it'd recommend for other things I'm interested in

My advice would be format a 8GB microSDcard or more as EXT3/4 (EXT4 is preferred) then on your android use DriveDroid app and copy the ISO in the SD and run the app.
It just werks no need to burn and other shit, I do this all the time because I don't have any flashdrive (btw don't call it USB).

For the longest time, my partition layouts for my linux installs have remained the same. A single volume group in one partition,consisting of home, root, boot and swap logical volumes. I've pretty much done every distro installation on my machines this way, but now I'm wondering if there's a better way to do things. I like logical volumes, it's nice to have a logical (pun intended) structure of your partitions that's easy to keep track of and makes sense. Having only physical volumes seems messy and confusing to me, why would I want my disk to look like /dev/sda1 .../dev/sda30 and so on? The reason I'm asking is that I'm migrating my old Gentoo install into a Funtoo one. I'm probably going to keep the same partition scheme to make transferring my home directory easy, but I thought I'd pop in and see what people's thoughts are on logical volumes and partition schemes.

Making things more complicated doesn't make things more simple.

Firefox user here, is there any way (extensions/about:config) i can move anything to main context menu from sub-menu? specifically searcdh engines just like default google search
look at pics

SORRY FOR the DOUBLE POST
dont wanna offend anyone but they are in the wrong order, i want my context menu to be like in pic 1, it's like in the 2nd pic currently

Where is the best place to watch EU n internet for free?

4chan/sp stream

I tried to burn my way into TriOpt c-space once. Picked up a Fake ID program from a dealer in Russian softs, and planned on making a quiet withdrawal. The I.C.E. was no problem, but the cyberdogs were all over me before I could score. TriOpt coders don’t play around; their attack routines trashed my Net link and nearly fried my head. I heard voices for a week...

Pay attention to the reviews for the add-on shown at the picture you posted and install another one that can do the thing you want.

Quick question relating to one of these hard drives
If the computer (win7) recognizes the USB/SATA bridge, but not the drive itself (can hear the USB plug-in sound effect, but no new drives appear in the My Computer window), does that mean the drive is simply busted?

Nevermind, I opened Disk Management and formatted the partitions.
That processor fused to the heatsink was actually an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (just 1,8 GHz).

Bumping.
My sides are in low orbit. It probably is the idea that Linux should be called GNU/Linux and vis versa. Which is a foolproof method to get replies and dertail the thread.
ls?

How does a computer work?

same tbh

What's a good mom&dad GNU/Linux distro? Mint? Manjaro?

I'm going to be the one to keep it up to date every now and then, so they don't need to install updates themselves, it just has to be possible for me to run a couple of shell commands like once a month to update things when I'm over (or ideally remotely via SSH). And which DE to choose?

And while I'm at it, what's a good photo management software? It should be like iPhoto or Photos on OS X, nothing professional, but normie friendly to use for managing collections and stuff. Bonus points if it comes included with the distro.

definitely mint

Would be a lot of help if you named the OS your parents (I assume they're YOURS and I assume they're PARENTS) are already familiar with.
Mint is meant to be the one that resembles Windows environment the most, but most of the popular (simplified) ones should be easy enough to rice to look like MAC OS.
Hope this helps, I only drop by Holla Forums to ask my own questions when google doesn't help.

t. my parents are younger than 30

They have been using OS X, but have bought a normal laptop now.

I have a 3DS XL. What's the minimum amount of work I have to do to get arm9loaderhax working on it? The device is the older model, updated to 11.0.0.

Not at my machine right now, but how do I use meta keys for extended commands in text builds of SLASH'EM on *N*X? I'm using Linux Mint, with two 108-key keyboards (ADB via USB converter normally, generic PS/2 for incompatible stuff like BIOS).

I've tried using different terminal programs, exiting X, reconfiguring all the terminals, reconfiguring SLASH'EM, fiddling with every setting in anything I can find for 8-bit input and escape characters, but absolutely nothing works.

What's a job in electronic engineering like? I've dabbled with basic circuits and low-level programming but I don't think I would want to do anything else. Spending hours on some shitty Windows driver sounds like pure hell.

Not all USB drives are flash drives.

Linux doesn't have a kernel, Linux is a kernel. When people refer to Linux as an OS, they mean an OS based on Linux. You need to lurk moar.

Currently, I connect to my VPN service by having my config file run by openvpn in a shell. This works and is easy to do but it drops the connection whenever I close my laptop or it goes to sleep. Restablishing that connection can be annoying at best and it's caused issues as well. It also results in a minute and a half reboot or shutdown.

Is there some better way don't know about?

yeah, but but doing that without having to stop the command I'm typing.
Like if I was trying to go to
./long/fucking/path/to/files/
I want to be able to type
cd long/fucking/path/
list the direcectory, without typing enter and then ls
And then continue typing to/files/.

I think emacs or edwin kind of does this when you try to open a file.

Try hitting tab a couple of times. Tab-complete should give you a list of all the files/directories it can autocomplete to.

Run openvpn as a service, maybe? There's definitely a better way to use it.

Had a look for updates to Aegis and it seems the dev is no longer updating it as voat as finally turned into reddit2.0, has anyone else made a updated version of the script?

You won't just spend hours on shitty windows drivers, you'll spend hours on shitty Chinese windows drivers. Hope you speak Mandarin.

Now here's the reason Intel cowardly removed SATA hotplug from its consumer chipset drivers…

Well, there is no distinctive “removable” and “non-removable” drivers for USB and SATA disks, so your best options are to write a filter driver that modifies device parameters on the fly (if it's possible), to decode driver/system configuration data and patch it (if has overrides), or to put yor SATA controller into PATA or RAID mode (which may or may not hurt performance).

Or you can easily patch the UI. It is likely to use well defined user-level API to get a list of removable drives, so you can just hook some functions for Explorer thingy and filter the list as you like.

I just bought my laptop a few months ago. The specs looked good, but I'm an idiot with this stuff, and it turned out for example to suck for gaming -I know, most laptops do, but this is compared to a Sony Vaio I was using for two years before I got this one.

In any case, for the past couple months the systems been running ridiculously slowly, but according to task manager it shouldnt be. I'll click to open something, and may have to wait like 18 seconds for anything to happen. Typing can take a ridiculously long time because the textbox will freeze as I'm typing, and then sometimes skip letters, stuff like youtube takes forever to load during these slow periods.

It seems to me to be some background process that randomly switches on and off. It'll run normally for an hour, then lock up like shit being sucked through a straw.

I know you hate Windows 10, me too, but that's what I'm on. A while after all this started I shut down most start up stuff and shut down everything that's supposed to collect data.

I suspect this has something to do with that Cortana thing as that's the one process that stuck around after I shut everything off, and if I shut it down in Task Manager what it does is suspicious as fuck. It turns off for a split second, then starts back up. If I keep turning it off eventually it switches names from Cortana to Search and Cortana. Sometimes it'll stay off for a few minutes, then sure enough I go check and as if it waited for me to stop looking, it's back.

However I also have bluestacks installed, mostly for kik. That could be contributing to the issue in some way.

I notice two instances of adobe flash player always running, could there be some conflict there?

The browser I most use is palemoon, could that be part of the problem?

I've run scans using malwarebytes and superantispyware and found nothing.

Best way to extract large amounts of emails from Hotmail, without using a third party program?

What you have probably isn't malware, just junk. First resort, look through installed programs with "Apps & Features" pane of the "System Settings", and uninstall or disable anything you don't want (also, of course, make sure your software, drivers, and firmware are all up to date using Windows Update). Next, try Windows' own "Disk Cleanup" utility and reboot. If that doesn't do it, try CCleaner:
piriform.com/ccleaner

If you're still having trouble, the final (at least before a full OS reinstall) resort is to refresh (not restore!) using Windows installation media:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

Use any normal eMail client, like Thunderbird or Outlook, and configure your account to use a normal protocol like IMAP:
support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-your-Outlook-com-account-to-another-mail-app-73f3b178-0009-41ae-aab1-87b80fa94970

From there, you should be able to export it to whatever formats your client supports.

I went with that.
Was hoping to do it just in hotmail.com

I guess I'll ask a follow up question

because cock.li is compromised, what email hosts does Holla Forums recommend?

Libre office isn't actually doing any autocorrect/spellchecking.
I have activated it, I have the language selected, but it doesn't have a dictionary. It has a list of dictionaries, but it's onyl English (USA) which isn't the only one I need.
When i select english(USA) it closes the dropdown and the selected one is still "None". When i click "Add Dictionary" a popup opens that says "The spellcheck is complete.
Anyone have any ideas?

had the same problem
look up hunspell, you probably need to install that

All I can find on the Ubuntu Software center is "GoldenDict"
And on the official Hunspell website I cant find an "install" or "download" option

Is Thunderbird really as retarded as I think it is or am I just not trying hard enough?

nvm, it really is that retarded

What's the best Anti-Virus/Firewall combo for windows?
>inb4 "microshit"

"microshit"

Don't make me install Zonealarm.
You know I'll do it, motherfucker.

what's wrong with zonealarm?

what is the longest range wireless technology I can use legally that gives me atleast ~100kB speed?
I'm thinking of building something, but I need atleast 150-200 meter range for it to work

Omnidirectional, or directional and stationary? If you can get approximate line of sight between two fixed points, a couple generic 802.11 devices with directional antennæ plugged in have a range of miles at full speed.

Ah i forgot to mention. omnidirectional and mobile.
So, big ass antennas are out of the question.
Speed is not really important.

Firewall: TinyWall, Anti-Virus: 2016 Common Sense Beta, restore points and rebinding directories.

I was browsing cuckchan when I was had a "Clickjack" attack. This is the first time hearing about this, but apparently was common when Facebook was fresh around 2008.

Should I be worried at all?

Hey, I'm writing several documents using LibreOffice Writer, but for each document (.odt) file I have to open it in a separate instance of LibreOfficer Writer. Is there a method or addon to open documents in separate "tabs" like the sort you see in web browsers such as Chrome and Firefox?

It works, thanks. I had an .inputrc that was supposed to improve tab completion.
It let me cycle through the options that matched with a tab, but it didn't allow me to list everything because of it.

Why does C:\Windows\Temp exist when %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp is set as the temp directory?
It seems to stupid when C::\Windows\Temp doesn't do what I expect it to do.

Maybe there were some proposals, google them.

You can always press Ctrl-Tab or use a desktop environment that allows to group windows to tabs.

Wondows probably silently redirects stupid programs that access it to a proper location.

I don't understand your problem with some directory existing on your system. Also, how old must anything that cares about C:\WINDOWS\TEMP be?

That really depends on how experienced system user is, and what kind of things he need to do.

I don't use Google services. How am I going to navigate around foreign cities during my travel? Are paper maps good enough and where can you get those?

It is more the case of I am used to having one /tmp location on GNU/Linux. On Windows C://WINDOWS/TEMP is close enough but by default it doesn't work as I would assume. The change is just for my own sanity basically.

Options
1) NAV unit, 2)OsmAnd
Paper maps are useful if you have some one else in the verchile with you to read it while you drive. You can most likely pick them up at the air port`s book shop or another location.

does anyone know what are .ogl files?

I don't drive, just walk. I go with train or hitchhiking. The map should be used for finding the next street address to go.

The same as .abc files. Give context.

Do you simply think programs will use a single location for temporary data or actually 'try'' to sandbox them? Then you should learn more about how they find that temporary folder (hint: they shouldn't rely on some fixed path being available, there's a function to request it from system), how default ACLs for system directories work (they prohibit user mode programs from writing their shit everywhere), and how compatibility layer redirects common wrong access attempts (there's way too many to sleep peacefully).

Also, "C:\Windows\Temp" is a shitty temporary location. It supposes that the system is installed on C:\, it's on the system partition that may not have free space for every kind of task, and it is nicely placed inside a system directory so that a couple of \..\ in parameters of a task run with system privileges can cause fun things to happen.

Is Alpine Linux suitable for desktop use (ie. has KDE 5 or other DE and doesn't need tons of setup)? The reason is I can't find 32 bit wine or Virtualbox for 64-bit musl in Voidlinux but Alpine seems to have it.

don't forget /dev/shm :p

Check /var/tmp and /run.

I don't think that they have kde5 due to logind/systemd dependency. But desktop use should work. You could just download the packages/binaries from an alpine repo and install them manually in void. On the other hand alpine is more mature if you want to use musl.

Holla Forums thoughts on miui android? Is it good/safe, a good alternative to custom roms?

It's proprietary to the point where it's actually illegal. It also comes with a Chinese virus scanner. Avoid.

Get Cyanogenmod instead. It's not perfect, but it's much better.

I see. I'm new to smartphones and android. I installed Cyanogenmod on my phone but heard someone shill for miui and got curious.

It's probably good if you values are very different from standard Holla Forums, but it's not good if you value your privacy.

For apps, take a look at F-Droid. All apps on it are free/open source. It's not complete enough for most people, but apps on there tend to be pleasantly free of ads and other bullshit.

I forgot the link:
f-droid.org/

There is this project that supposly removes low level google stuff from Cyanogen. I belive it was called Cyanogen free or some such.
It is the only app store that I run. However there is a not significant number of adondaned apps and ones that either premote a non free network or have some other anti feature. It shouldn't be to hard to try and port the fully libre ROM seeing as there is already a Cyanogen base to work off. Now all I need to do I learn how to code.

I have multiple vims in multiple ChromeOS windows, running in a cli-extra crouton installation, and copy&paste sucks. Is there a built-in config, or has someone already written, a way to synchronize yank buffers across active vims?

It is. You'd have to write replacement drivers. There are only 12 Android devices known to work with fully libre software.
replicant.us/

unrelatedly, any good color schemes with light backgrounds? cottonmouse is awesome, but not at 7AM in a brightly-lit starbucks.

Instead of running multiple vims, run one vim, with a server/client setup. This works really well with Emacs, and apparently vim has support for it too. I don't use vim, so I'm not 100% sure if you get a shared yank buffer.

I heard someone at some point say that you can run windows applications better on a VM than through wine if your machine meets certain requirements.
How exactly does it work? Where can I read more about it?

alright, I found ajayfromiiit.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/server-and-client-mode-in-vim/

looks like it's not in default compiles :/

dunno about performance, but wine (or CrossOver)'s system of bottles lets you have some windows software that runs in a japanese locale and some that doesn't, and that's A) incredibly useful for rpgmaker games that use non-unicode japanese encodings for filenames, and B) increasingly difficult or impossible to do in windows. last time I looked, you would have to reboot between locale swaps.

If you can dedicate one GPU to the VM and set up a PCI passthrough you can get near-native performance.

oh misread the VM question. you're basically looking for this:

funtoo.org/Windows_7_Virtualization_with_KVM

What am I doing wrong? I'm getting Bad request error. Please help

Login Username password {{error}} Forgot passwords Create an account Username password Repeat password {{error}}

@app.route('/')def home(): return 'This is home'@app.route('/login/', methods=['POST', 'GET'])def login(): if request.method == 'POST': wrong_pass = 'WRONG USERNAME / PASSWORD' user_id = request.form['username'] user_pass = request.form['password'] new_user = request.form['new-pass'] new_user_pass = request.form['new-pass'] repeat_pass = request.form['repeat-pass'] if user_id == 'admin' and user_pass == '123': return redirect(url_for('home')) else: return render_template('login.html', error=wrong_pass) if request.method == 'POST': unmatch_pass = 'PASSWORDS DO NOT MATCH' new_user = request.form['new-user'] new_user_pass = request.form['new-pass'] repeat_pass = request.form['repeat-pass'] if new_user_pass != repeat_pass: return render_template('login.html', error=unmatch_pass) return render_template('login.html')

I'm using Windows 7.

Does Process Explorer come bundled with the system, or is it a separate download? Is it trusted?

Even though I use adblock, I don't like seeing all these open network connections. Skype is shit, Chrome is a necessary evil for me, but I want to make it less bad. I tried setting my hosts file to resolve 1e100.net to 127.0.0.1, but it looks like the connections are still up. Is there a way to block it, and would doing so brick Chrome?

packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=hunspell
sudo apt-get install hunspell doesn't work?

Can someone help? Picture is of a computer of mine that is stuck on loading bar of what I believe to be the POST? Any ideas on how to fix?

I want to build libotr but under a different name, like libotr-asdf.so

How the fuck do I do this?
Spent a really long time googling, grep'ing and looking at .m4 and Makefile.am and whatnot but none of it makes sense.

On Windows, it it possible to monitor everything a certain .exe does? Like every file or registry setting it creates, reads or modifies?

filemon, regmon, etc. There are also professional tracing and profiling tools.

But why do you want to do that?

Well, start with finding Clear CMOS jumper on your motherboard.

You also need to configure the main program to import a different library.

But why do you want to do that?

ehh, well, i switched out motherboard for another one, hardrive GPU and all works fine, POST boots up. I'll have a look at it another time. And clearing the jumper thing didnt fix. thanks though

Need the program but don't fully trust it. So I'd like to see if it's up to anything in the background. Do you have any recommendations for these tools?

You clearly don't have enough knowledge to securely sandbox a program if it's really offensive, even with those tools. You probably want to do something stupid, like running nakedhermione.rar.exe

Like I said, I just want to see what exactly it's doing. Not planning on doing anything that stupid.

Here's your problem. You can use those well known monitoring tools to see what normal API calls program makes, but you can never be sure that it doesn't detect your attempt and doesn't access something indirectly unless you debug it to the core by yourself. And if it really tries to hide something and is not written by a complete idiot, debugging is not going to be easy.

Also, don't be dumb, use free software.

Can someone help me compile on Windows 32? I just want to turn some pre-rendered code into an executable. I WAS going to use Visual Studio Community but that shit is fucking 7 gigabytes and all I want to do is fucking compile something. I have never in my life did any sort of coding apart from simply changing numbers/letters in files so I'm really just asking for an user to guide a newcomer. All of Google's guides are unhelpful and assume I know how to work with code.

I already asked for help at 4cuck and the entire thread turned into shitflinging because someone recommended me Visual Studio because I'm a babby at coding and it's apparently simple to work.

The thing in question I want to compile is Poschengband (you can find it at github if you're interested in what I'm talking about) and I think it's written in C.

If anyone has a better compiler that is easy to work please tell me but don't be a fucking autist about it like the others.

I don't see why a console/ncurses program can't be (cross-) compiled for Windows with the same gcc chain, but if readme says Visual Studio, then Visual Studio it is. It provides the project file, so your task is to provide library dependencies (if needed) and double-click.

Why don't you use a binary release at sites.google.com/site/poschengband/file-cabinet ?

I'd like to edit some numbers because the experience penalties are way too fucking high since the dev is a grind-loving faggot.
So I'm going to have to brave the 7 gigabyte thing? And do I just open the project file in Visual Studio and let it do the rest? What do I do if I need to provide library dependencies?

Okay, then let me rephrase that: I want to see if the program tries to make network connections, tries to create or modify files, tries to create or modify registry keys.
Better this way?

and here, I quit trying and went with the OpenRC version. Took 15 minutes and I have zero problems aside from finding software that doesn't require systemd

It does not seem to require any additional libraries on Windows.

Visual C++ 2010 Express should be much less than 7 GB (but you have to find the installer/iso… better just PIRATE the proper Visual Studio 2010, MS stopped supporting it anyway… well, well, what do we have here: stackoverflow.com/questions/6871865/url-for-visual-studio-2010-express-iso ). Later versions of Visual Studio should also work.

You can use the programs mentioned or take a closer look at the sandboxing software.

how do i make bluetooth speaker just werk without pulseaudio bs? As of now I can use sudo bluetoothctl -a to search and pair, but when I do connect 01:23:45:67:89, it just says
[bluetooth]# connect 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC Attempting to connect to 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC[CHG] Device 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC Connected: yes[CHG] Device 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC Modalias: bluetooth:v0057p0006d0104[CHG] Device 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC UUIDs: 00001101-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb[CHG] Device 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC UUIDs: 0000110b-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb[CHG] Device 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC UUIDs: 0000110c-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb[CHG] Device 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC UUIDs: 0000110e-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb[CHG] Device 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC UUIDs: 00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fbFailed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed[CHG] Device 0C:A6:94:25:47:AC Connected: no
On Arch with OpenRC btw

Okay, thank you man. I appreciate the help a ton.

The plastic pin dividers in all my usb3.0 slots fell out
The pins themselves are fine, and I can still use the usb ports
If I try to plug something in the wrong way the usb port is permanently dead, which has already happened once
What the fuck do I do

I have a 1TB(1000204MB) HDD
I'm installing a new distro on it, how would you partition it?
maybe 100-150GB /root
500MB /boot
16-32GB /swap(I have 16GB RAM)
the rest for /home
?

swap area, not /swap
My bad

This is obnoxious. My phone, a Galaxy S7, ran out of battery, so I plugged it in, and it went to this download screen, and it doesn't seem to want to move from it at all. What do? It's been like this for 20 minutes at least, maybe up to 40.