Hipsters make 1mb site

in the recent furore about web obesity some hipsters made a website that's exactly one megabyte download.

1mb.website/

useful for calibrating your analysis tools, seeing if your content is being fucked with, and generally raising awareness about how shit the modern web is while simultaneously using a whole fucking megabyte to display dick all.

any optimisationfags out there want to shrink this down? 1mb website golf would be very funny indeed.

Other urls found in this thread:

idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
popularmechanics.com/
warnerbros.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.html
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it just me who thinks 1mb is fucking huge for a webpage, before images

It is. Most modern websites serve enormous amounts of bloat in javascript libraries and books' worth of CSS and ridiculous HTML hierarchies most likely generated by some WYSIWYG program.

So I click the link...
You had one fucking job.

It's massive. If you want to have a heart attack, try measuring a mainstream news site without blocking any material (adds). They clock in at around 12mb.

I fucking miss the 90s.

i 100% don't miss the shitty internet of the nineties and the goofy web design

the 1MB site is a good idea

If you want to be pedantic, then technically 1024^2 bytes is 1 MiB, and 1000^2 bytes is 1 MB. Blame greedy hard drive manufacturers and SI prefixes for this.

can't remember who said it but I remember some dude somewhere posting a graph that showed the average size of a web page climbing past the size of the original release of doom.

I can't fucking stand news websites

I use firefox with noscript and if I come across a website that requires much more than one or two domains to be temporarily allowed, I just close the page.

Most websites I'm just fine with. A small number work just fine even without javascript et al running, but otherwise I just allow the website and it's ok.

But news websites? They're a fucking nightmare with 10+ websites all wanting to run fuck knows what, half the time the actual content is obscured or obfuscated until I allow a particular cdn and I have no fucking idea which of the giant list of websites I have to allow to get it.

It's 1 MiB

Daily reminder that the catalog pages on 8ch are all 10-20MB bigger than they need to be because they load gigantic thumbnails and resize them to about 20% of their original size in HTML

that's pretty cute.

someone should add softserve to a filter list for that one.

nice

I thought that was fixed?

Last I tested a 10 page 4chan catalog is 1mb and a 10 page Holla Forums catalog is 2mb, not good but not 10mb bad.

Looks like they've just slashed the jpeg quality, it's still resizing about 200 images though.

Guess what, they didn't even read the article they fucking link to.

Post on >>>/sudo/ about it.

They have to pay the bills.

Some of us rather liked lightweight websites with unique looks and sounds.Bonus points if their frames didn't break.

Sterile boring web design sucks. Too much of that now.

Jesus fucking christ, it's like you faggots have a fetish for oversized creatures with how much you talk about bloat and obesity.
>>>/furry/

Daily reminder that you can choose different sizes of catalog, retard, so it makes sense to use the thumb.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that does this.

This is something that actually can convince normies. Saved.

And whats wrong with focusing on web content over Web 2.0 shit?

I imagine, given how Holla Forums runs out of space every other week considering Jim and co are too fucking cheap to buy a real SAN or something, that it's done that way to save space and not have to generate two thumbs for every image: one small thumb and the other for HiDPI.

Actually, it'd be three thumbs. One small thumb, the medium thumb for threads, and one for hidpi, both on the catalog and threads.

idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

(Still smaller than the 1MB page)

This. Websites used to be original. Surfing tje web used to be an adventure

I fucking hate
HATE
modern "below the fold" massive-scrolling required web design.

Finally after ten more parallax-shifting images and a few more sentences I find what I am looking for.

So who's wrong here?

Someone already said that it's MiB instead of MB.

Still, it looks like it's slightly over that, but I'd say close enough.

Why is this allowed?

try not being a poorfag living in a shithole, I had 10MBps connection in the 90s.

They must be American

This thread is about 1MB in size as of this post, and nearly half of that is Javascript.

>popularmechanics.com/
You tell us goldberg

catalog view on Holla Forums is terrible. No matter what browser I use, its a pain to find threads with ctrl+f.

Why does this thing need to even drag in jquery? I think they included in modernizer and jquery just to pad the size for the name and show developers they could still use some libraries.

Found your problem

Thanks jquery developers.

I've made html5 videogames and none of them has even 300kb of js.

Optimization is everything online yet no one cares.

I think 1mb should be fine for scripts + css + html

but it would circumvent images and video which I enjoy using.

But tell them to use uBlock instead?

Oh wow somehow this website magically estimates the network overhead of tcp/ip with congestion so that the transfer is EXACTLY 1MB after taking into account duplicate segments and other overhead
GIVE THESE GUYS A FUCKING MEDAL THEY ARE THE MOST GENIUS DEVELO... oh wait no they're just stupid.
:/

warnerbros.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.html

I'd use the search filter feature if it fucking worked.

that site gave me cancer

baka
The site is just a bunch of images that add up to 1MB after the normal sized JS/CSS shit (~50KB). personally I dont use any CSS or JS but that's just me. pic related, wait nvm
fuck off

kek. only error is in citation though

Reuters seems to work fine.

I don't even have 5MiBps in Current year.

motherfuckingwebsite.com/
bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/

uBlock doesn't market and shoots itself in the foot by having two versions that nobody* knows the difference between.

if you're the one doing the install it's fair enough to choose the version you think is best, but fuck shooping the work adblock is doing to promote ad and malware filtering over petty shit like RAM usage and default settings.

*hyperbole, I know, you probs do too.

These reek of Maddox, but I know they aren't his because he would definitely mention himself extensively along with a copyright or watermark.