What's keeping you from writing your own webcomic, book, or comic/graphic novel?

What's keeping you from writing your own creative work?

For me, it's the fear that I might write something that I'm really proud of, but it will be stolen and accredited to someone else. Personally, I would like to write (and illustrate) a webcomic. However, I'm afraid that if there's a chance that I get glossed over, then somebody with more connections will steal from my work and be successful for it. The chances of someone doing it and not being caught would be higher if I created my work online. It's happened before. Shia Labeouf based a movie off Justin M. Damiano, and Cuck Sweden ripped off of an online story in the form of Cabin in the Woods.

It's hard to really describe this feeling, but you have a sense of attachment to your own work, and can't bear to see to it stolen.

What about you, Holla Forums? Is it doubt? Is it the amount of work involved after the creative process (like finding a publisher, hiring an editor, etc.) that might take the joy away from you? Is it procrastination?

Other urls found in this thread:

mymanga.me/manga/OnepunchMan_ONE/1/1
amazon.com/Taken-T-Rex-Dinosaur-Erotica-Christie-ebook/dp/B00FI9JFFO
hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/joss-whedon-lionsgate-hit-copyright-788854?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_headlines&utm_campaign=THR Headlines_2015-04-15 05:00:00_RGajewski
jstor.org/
legacy.fordham.edu/Halsall/sbook.asp
jazzjackrabbit10.deviantart.com/gallery/
8ch.net/co/res/616179.html
docs.google.com/document/d/1I01BJmecSh9JTPtP8OfKavsqETo2M3bXN660EhlbdPU/edit
floobynooby.com/pdfs/gesturedrawingforanimation.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's the actual writing part for me, I love to write but it's a mind-boggling amount of work for something that might get two sales as a crap eBook. I've got a fantasy world set up and a general plot-line for it culminating in a utopia but I'd have to have a sitdown and a good, long think about how to arrive at the end from the start (just making shit up to arrive at the pre-determined ending is a horrid way of doing it and it shows in the final product) and then get into the actual writing.

Fear of success.

As others have told me before, write for yourself, not for other people. Sure, approval from other people is nice, but it's secondary to creating something that you personally enjoy.

My absolute fear of talking with people on the internet outside of anonymous spaces. The drawing and the writing part isn't a problem for me (not that I think I'm a great writer/artist but compared to the average webcomic creator I think I'd be doing okay), building a website wouldn't be a problem, either, I just can't interact with people at all. The thought of being e-famous scares the shit out of me but even if I did actually get over my laziness, set up a website and start posting stuff, nobody would even notice it because I wouldn't know how to promote myself without feeling disgusting about it.

I think it's the fact that I have shit to do and dedicating my time to an endeavor that will require constant attention and struggle, only to maybe pay off in the form of selling some goddamned t-shirts isn't exactly appealing.

My drawing abilities aren't as good as I'd like them to be. When I picture something in my head and try to draw it, it never turns out like how I pictured it.

This ought to make you feel more comfortable:
mymanga.me/manga/OnepunchMan_ONE/1/1

I have started something, and I already feel that way. I haven't set up a site though, i'm not sure how and i'm just hesitant to go through with it.
What really scares me is that people get delusions of who the artist is as a person, and freak out when they don't live up to their expectation. In other words people are difficult to satisfy and the end result will be enemies no matter what you do.

I want to promote it, but I don't know how to go about it without like you said, feeling disgusting about it or feeling like i'm shilling or doing something wrong.

Working on ideas for my own book actually but I don't have much of an ability to write. My ideas are decent and I expand upon them on occasion

For one, my ability to draw is garbage compared to most. Not only that, but the possibility that my comic would end up turning me into a douche people on the internet try to troll me for memes fucking terrifies me.

It's not an art form I'm especially interested in creating. Maybe later, once I've lived a bit more. I'm focusing on illustration for now.

I know that feel.

But the reason I don't write is because I'm afraid it will be shit. That's a bitch right there.

Because I work all the damn time. Seriously I work four days a week from afternoon to late at night so the only days I get to write are wednesdays and weekends. But I'm sure you can get after you work long hours you pretty much don't feel like doing shit during your off days.

I only really get to write at late hours of the night but then tiredness sets in and I halt after writing 5 pages. It's fucking annoying to me and it's best if I try to work around it as best I can. Sometimes I wish I could just get a month off to myself, do what I wanna do and get it all over with.

The sad part is I have so many fuckin things at my disposal that can help me. I know artists, other writers, I've easily made contact with people that have links to publishers. My comic ideas could have been done months ago if it wasn't for my own damn laziness.

Also a problem I have is that I don't get along well in online communities. I haven't been able to find the right one that works for me yet, I commonly keep my distance from them and use it sparingly as a way to gain contacts. I work much better in irl social conditions but the writer group I go to only meets once a month and ALWAYS on days I have work. I recently found a new one that was supposed to be today but got fuckin delayed two weeks from now, thankfully placed on a saturday though.

Same here.

For me it's the actual drawing itself. I know I'm not an artist. The best I could do is fucking stick figures. I can write though. I've been doing that since high school. Mostly short stories and one complete story that spanned about 20 or so chapters. I would frequently seek critiquing and the overall responses were positive.

I almost got an actual comic done when I was a freshman but, the artist quit. He drew like the first three pages. We each came up with one of the four main characters that composed of a werewolf-mummy with mystical staff(it was before Irwin was a vampire-mummy), a Christian half-demon(i think he was angsty), a girl, and her giant cat. It was about monster hunting. Looking back on it, it was pretty stupid. He would draw and give the basic plot. I would write up everything else.

I mostly wrote rom coms. Maybe it was because my own love life was and still is a complete failure.

TL;DR Writing good, drawing bad.

It's laziness, I just graduated school and I am already looking ahead towards college. I have dozens of pages and documents worth of ideas and I even shared some of those ideas in a writing thread an user had posted. My biggest issue is that I am a lazy motherfucker and I always prefer to play some games or procrastinate and watch a series than actually put my ideas into my book.

Another issue I have is that I would really have nowhere to share any of my ideas aside from the rare writing thread that we have on Holla Forums. I am literally a nobody when it comes to writing, and for the most part, I do more as a hobby, but eventually I would love to have a completed book and share them with people, I just wouldn't know where to start.

Plus, I am also afraid that after shedding so much blood, sweat, and tears on the book, I am only going to sell like 3 copies and just sink into irrelevance and never develop any fans or any kind of following, and then I'll see the front pages of Amazon and see some book about two fags touching dicks or something and it'll get praise for being so progressive.

Could this be the new improv write thread? I mean the OC fags have their thread and are redirecting writers to these ones.

I'll be honest that the type of writing that gets published these days should be encouragement enough that someone could make something awesome. I mean you've got someone producing stories about women having sex with dinosaurs, nuff said.

What? The hell is that shit called? And why do I have a feeling that it is actually just a shit book?

amazon.com/Taken-T-Rex-Dinosaur-Erotica-Christie-ebook/dp/B00FI9JFFO

I dunno user, go and find out.

Mother of fuckin god. There's more than one of these too.

I'm so hard right now.

This is obviously too hot.

Being a lazy perfectionist. But the script is actually coming along, I just want one more action beat in the first story than I'm good.

Already wrote a book. Need shekels for editing ($3000) and getting an agent is a pain in the ass. Probably because my novel isn't politically correct. Trying to do KDP but not sure how many more shekels I need to advertise and do the book cover.

I just taken a drawing class, user. If you want to learn, there are resources on 8ch like

>>>/loomis/

Just pointing out that it exist. If nothing else, learn how to do shapes. Circles, Triangles, Squares. Art is nothing more than shapes.

The fuck does that matter? You're still a cumdump at the end of the day bitch.

She got paid for this shit? It got worse the more I saw and the last one was about gay werebears.

While JMD did get ripped off by Shia, it didn't exactly earn him any favors or praise.

CitW ain't exactly the most original concept, it's just a deconstruction of horror tropes/movies. Someone would have came up with the idea eventually.

The biggest thing you have to understand in life is that someone, somewhere out there in this big wide world is another person through sheer coincidence probably does have a similar idea/story/invention to what you have in your head right now*. Yes, that is a scary thought.

Now the question is:

Even if you try the first and fail, you can learn from it and move on to the next idea you have.

* Examples.
Dennis the Menace, two separate comic strips from the UK and the USA that appeared in print on March 7, 1951 and March 12, 1951.

The similarities between Alexander Graham Bell's and Elisha Grey's first telephone.

I often think the opposite
I have had a dozen or so ideas similarly thought up by others and seen others make a whole series with the same idea.
Some I like far more than my own, some I see as paling in comparison when compared to my personal take.
Pleasantly coming to conclusions as to why for both outcomes.
Some made far before I had the same idea, some after.

Some times I almost think I'd be fine if someone stole an idea I had and made it popular.
The only problem would be warping the message I was trying to deliver if I was trying to do so.
Not understanding what some of the things mean if there is meaning behind them.
Not ripping me off hard enough and changing things that change the overall content.

Particularly I like things that I know have no chance of being published.
Things with a conservative slant.
Perhaps sexual in nature.
Such things feel very original when your country doesn't see fit to publish many things of that nature.
Some I would call almost thickly veiled parables.
Can draw from personal experience in some regards but am fairly fond of simply using historical non-fiction as fiction.
Plagiarism of reality itself.

I was researching a lot about a country today and wanted to know all the factors behind it being what it is, which is really shitty.
Reasons behind it were pretty much land based.

Now I'm going to make a country much like that one, in a fantasy setting.
Have one character explain this and other small facts about that country and flesh out the world a little more as two characters will be arguing about it.
The argument being that old chestnut of do you break the law to feed your family?
It will be about one chapter and most likely referenced later on.

Too busy shitposting on Holla Forums

Hey, I read that doujin!

Are you fucking serious?

Yeah, there's like 3 different doujins about it. First one that first came to mine had an elf archer trying to save her sister from becoming an orc's tribe breeding bitch, but then she gets captured and raped herself until she loves it. The others are basically just variations on that.

You didn't think I meant I read that book, did you?

I wish I could draw half as good as that.

No, I thought you meant the summary was ripped from one.

It probably was, but I don't read doujin summaries, just their tags.

Can't draw for merde

I don't want to say I can draw better than that, but I feel like I'm on the level of that sloppy as fuckness. I want to get better, but I recently got a 8-5 job with dogs to look after

hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/joss-whedon-lionsgate-hit-copyright-788854?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_headlines&utm_campaign=THR Headlines_2015-04-15 05:00:00_RGajewski

I just do a sketch a day to try and improve, I'm only about two months in but it's something. I feel like by the end of the a year of this shit I'll be able to draw something respectable, maybe you should give that a shot user. Only takes as much time as you want it to a night.

I'm afraid strangers online will make fun of me.

Don't be like that user, look at the bright side
You'll never be as bad as Jeph "handstab" Jacques or Chris-chan

Everyone makes fun of you in real life already, so why do you care about what Internet strangers think?

Nor will you be as popular.

that's probably a good thing, considering why those people are popular

Yeah, probably.

can you just post Chuck Tingle?

theres a chance my comic ideas could end up spawning the next Homestuck /Undermeme

and i have it in my had since 1996 or so

long before all that shit was a thing

My characters are not gay or furries, or something-kin or anything, but due to their descriptions i can imagine tumblr getting crazy for em, making fanfics, dressing as em in cons, harrassing anyone who just simply enjoyed the comic for teh themes or strange shit…or even making something-sonas

its a fear that stops me from even trying

Research. I'd like to do a story using the early Middle Ages as my background, but there's so much I need to research and I'm not sure where to start.

Oh, grow up and just sell out already. Even if you're writing tumblr bait, there is still a huge change you'll die in obscurity, so you might as well do it and see what happens.

At least you could probably make some extra dosh selling merchandise to the tards.

I've almost gotten everything together. I'm to the point where I can draw something without immediately hating it and I'm solid on writing ability. I now have to make the transition from traditional to digital (learn Krita) and learn how to construct a comic page (panels). I've heard the trick is to start with a smaller project, so I've picked out something that won't take too long.

jstor.org/
legacy.fordham.edu/Halsall/sbook.asp
/his/ still has its sticky filled with resources, you might find more stuff there since the second one is older and filled with holes. Make sure to use only academic resources.

But just think of the satisfaction that will come with disavowing your fandom, "X was a mistake."

I'm going to be an amateur psychologist: you're worried about your audience because you think that if you make something you like and tumblr likes it too, you're like tumblr and therefore SJW. But you have to realize, the rotting core of tumblr is the denial of meritocracy and emotional protectionism inherent in social justice. You can never be an SJW without those.

I forgot that /his/ was an active board here. Thanks.

Rather irrational if you think about it, especially if you're some nobody. Your idea is so original and guaranteed for success that influential and successful people will risk their asses to engage in plagiarism. Does that make sense? No.

Outside of sheer coincidence, the likelihood of somebody knowingly ripping off your work is rather low when everybody besides you is trying to make a name for themselves. All you can do is flesh out your idea enough to be distinctive in its own right.

My drawing skills are really really lacking, and although I am trying to improve, the progress is slow.
Also I don't think the stories I make up are good enough, and I can't write dialogue or characters for shit, because I'm a Tomoko-tier piece of shit and don't know how people/conversations work.
And since I have to work in our family farm all the time, I don't really have the time to work on shit like this.

My composition and perspective skills are very weak. I'm probably overthinking it though.

Remember even though he make just over $8000 on Patreon per month he has to do that while pandering to his audience, with a rather mediocre comic.

The same audience who had such a hissy fit over a chick not looking fat enough in a bikini it caused JJ to stab his hand.

Those fans already have HS/UT to obsess over, so try not to worry.

Wait, so that's what it looked like at first?

Regardless, I'm still nowhere where I want to be in terms of skill. I'm only good at drawing stuff when I have a reference image.

For comparison, second pic was when I was doing a request for someone without a picture and just went off a description alone.

ITT: I could cure cancer wanted to but I won't in case someone takes credit for it

I am lazy.

Can't draw.

I've actually taken two years' worth of lessons, only to come to the conclusion that if I were to grind my wrist bones into dust I might, in a decade or maybe two, amount to a bad artist.

So I figured, well, fuck it, if I can't do it myself, let's find someone who can… except apparently there's no one willing to draw for me, regardless of my being willing to pay as much as they ask for.

Short story book has been coming along nicely, though.

post some work

Well..it's a long story, write user. Don't know if you want to hear about it,

just tell us fucker, I'm all ears.

i'm too lazy to improve my art
and i completely lack imagination, so i'd do a pretty shit job at making a story
i'm better at video games
jazzjackrabbit10.deviantart.com/gallery/

I have no idea how to string the ideas I have into a cohesive story. I'm partway tempted to make it a collection of short stories, but I want there to be a conclusion to the whole thing.
Ah well, I can take my time. I still need to practice up my drawing. Maybe release one chapter to the 'net and see where it goes.

Alright, double dubs user. I'll tell you my story. You see, one of my major problems in writing is that I got ideas but when writing it down..I can't do it somehow. Like this one detective story I had part way done with story being this PI being hired by this nearly blind billionaire who suspects that his daughter is not really his daughter…and then I got stuck writing. I got the ending figured out and all but when putting it on paper, I have some troubles.

My other problem is that most of the time the characters I made are based on…or possibly ripped from some other sources like this one follow up LoK where I basically had one of the villains be one of the bad guys from Giant Robo since I do like the guy's design.

And finally..I have this constant need to revise my story while I'm still having ideas on it. Currently i got like close to 20 or 30 story ideas but I keep on changing it.

There's other problems too but those 3 are the ones I can think off at the top of my head.

Like many others, my drawing skills are not where I need them to be. I am pretty damn good at drawing realistic stuff from a reference. Problems start when I have to work only from imagination or make things stylized and cartoony. Being consistent when drawing faces from different angles and drawing fabric are the most difficult. I can't wrap my head around colors either, unless painting something traditionally.

Other than that, I am an autist when it comes to world development and have too many ideas. Each story has its own binder full of maps, notes, sketches, and references.

Writing dialogue is not my strongest suit either, but my ideas tend to be action heavy anyway. Besides, artists transition to writing all the time and many of them overshadow dedicated writers, so how hard can it really be?

Well, if it's any consolation, a lot of movies, shows, etc. now that have critical acclaim take elements from various things that the creators like.

For instance, GRRM's worldbuilding takes many, many elements from our history, but bundles them together in a functioning world. In addition, the revised version One Punch Man borrows a lot of character design and draws inspiration from a lot of media too.

One example that sticks out profoundly in my mind is Mr. Robot. There are a lot of elements from many different forms of media that I noticed, including American Psycho, Brazil, Dexter, and Fight Club. There's even a quote for quote line from Dragon Ball Z.

As long as you add a twist to these elements, you'll be in the clear.

don't forget the forced pairings, or assuming that character A or character B are gay, or in a relationship, or that character C must be nanosexual bread-kin just cause that character made/ate a bread once

dude, i had lots of not-characters. in some older drafts.

its fun to alter the original source til its a different thing thats 95% OC

I suck at writing.

I can draw decently and I have all kinds of ideas and can build elaborate worlds and shit, but when I need to come up with something that actually happens on the page, I cannot for the life of me come up with anything.

Well, have you ever thought about getting a writer to help you with that side of things?

because nobody cares about your shitty stories, you're a nobody. And writing is an activity so stupidly easy it shouldn't even be considered a job when compared to drawing or composing music.

I actually started writing a graphic novel, but I ran into the problem that I don't know how the fuck you write a comic.

I heard that I'm very good at writing dialogue, but the problem is that I write dialogue the way real people would talk, which doesn't always translate well into sequential art and just bloats the entire thing. So far, I'm 40 pages in (actual pages, the script is around 60), and not much has happened as of yet, it's been mostly groundwork so far.

I've decided to take a step back and figure out what the fuck to do about that. Still trying to do that. In the meantime, I've moved back to my fantasy writing project, with is a regular novel and has gone a lot smoother so far.

It's kinda frustrating, because I already have all the characters and the storyline in my head. But since I don't really have anyone to draw it I guess it could be worse.

Where am I going to find that?

You can't just "get a writer" to write a story for you.

Imageboards like this one pissing over everything, while cancer like B^U is out there and noone specifically harrasses the artist to stop that shit.

Thats why I won't start. I got a nice concept. But my art is lacking (Scott Pilgrim approach except worse).

Some of us wouldn't mind practicing writing, and a lot of people might be able to write but not be confident in their drawing. When we (or was it old, half/co/, everything seems so long ago) tried that "Universe Project" (one of many failed universe attempts), I was trying to give basic writing suggestions for any idea that caught my eye. If you had a simply pitch, a show of your art, the basic genre you want to work in, you might find someone who wants to write something for you. I got my own comic idea going, but writing is quicker part. I want to draw it myself and that's going to take me time, not to mention some real ambitious layouts I want to do. But if you want a straight forward story, you can find a writer.

The problem only comes if you want a writer you'll work with long term, you'd both have to be one the same wavelength. What it sound like you need first is a writer who just wants to write something and see it drawn, who is more curious if he can deliver what you expect more than someone focused on delivering exactly what they want.

Buck Timley doesn't give one shit how many people thing his work is trash, and he'll never stop churning out his shit comic. Are you going to lie down in the dirt while Bum Tickley is out there, because you don't feel "good enough"?

Nigga, you've been good enough for YEARS.

yes you can, writing is a fucking joke ""skill"".

drawing is hard, making music is hard, 3D modelling is hard, writing is a fucking joke.

thats why "Writers" starve to death while artists who can't get a professional job can just draw porn for 50 dollars a picture, look at furaffinity and deviantart, hundreds of thousands of losers who swim in money because they suck the money out of autists.

Good luck drawing comics for fucking money though. You'll be starving with the writers as soon as your pre-existing savings run out unless you have one in a million lottery winner tier luck.

Someone seems bitter. I think just a basic look at the shit produced these days and you wouldn't just say GOOD writing is so easy to come by. And no artist wants to waste time drawing a shitty script, the passion needed to finish a book is huge.

I suppose that's why your grammar is so stellar. Surely if writing is such an easy task, somebody like you could teach us how to write correctly.

much easier to get money drawing comics than writing, thats because drawing funny situations takes a lot more effort than writing words that make sense.

nice argument, retard.
because most artists write their own, since writing is pretty easy when compared to drawing good.

I think one big problem I'm seeing in this thread is the vast majority of us are way too fucking proud. Too proud to accept that our first book might, hell, PROBABLY, won't be very good, no matter how much we push at it, and too proud to realize that most of us only have SOME of the skills we want to bring to the table. What's the point if you draw badass shit and nice designs, you either have to sell those off to someone who can do something with them, or find a way to write a compelling story for those ideas. You don't care that you might be able to write a book, because you don't want to write a book, you want a COMIC BOOK, and you need an artist for that.

So what are WE not doing to push EACHOTHER to finish our books? Everyone bitches and moans all day about shit comics have gotten, and there is only so much voting with your personal wallet can do. One day the fans are going to have to make the books, or watch others throw the whole medium into the gutter. What can the lot of us do to pair artists up with writers, to help toss ideas at eachother in a real, constructive manner? Why aren't we getting shit done?

What is the best course of action if you want to turn your fellow Holla Forumsmrades into creators?

Let's start with you "writing is easy". You seem confident you have all the answers.

My problem with "teaming up" has always been that my tastes are so far apart from everyone else's that I'll never be able to find motivation to even ask to join anything.

I've always felt very alone in this regard, as if nobody likes working on the kind of things I'd want to.

Pitch it, bro. Don't have to be too specific, if you're worried about anyone stealing your shit, but pitch something, and maybe someone will surprise you. I know it's hard to trust anyone to have similar taste to you, and a lot of partnerships WILL FAIL. But maybe it won't, maybe you'll find some inspiration at the very least. Hell, I once had partners for a medieval lesbian romance comic. Even though that didn't work out, I got to learn a lot about opening up creatively with other people, and we did get some completed pages.

I had about 30 comic pages drawn and inked, with 30 more sketched out, but when my computer shit the bed I lost all the work. I haven't been able to motivate myself to redraw it all, or draw at all.

That's just fucking heartbreaking, bro. Sorry.

Focus on knowing you KNOW what you can accomplish, and be confident that you can do it again. No one can blame you for needing time to recover from that though.

I tend to be faced with total silence when I talk about my ideas, and that's not a good feel to feel you know. I've decided to keep them to myself and keep working on shit until I can do it without anyone else. I had a webcomic sometime ago, but it was very spontaneous low effort stuff without any proper writing or planning involved, but it's a start I guess. Next I want to try something slightly more "serious".

Constant laziness and an impulsive drive to shitpost on anonymous Indonesian Sockpuppet forums.

Because I don't have what it takes, i'm amateur when it comes to drawing, doubly so when it comes to writing.

I have a lot of stuff written and outlined about the characters, but in general I am very wishy-washy about my own ideas. I think anything I make is going to be garbage, whether it's my art or my writing or my work ethic, so I go through ideas like potato chips, loving each bite but knowing nothing good will ever come out of them due to my own self-hatred and inability to work on it as much as I want to. I have an idea I really like in the moment but the knowledge that by September I'll have scrapped it because I despise it in the future is really disheartening.

I have a 120 page comic that I wrote out and fully did layouts for. I shelved it because, when I was done, I realized it wasn't exactly the story I wanted to tell. But that experience had worth, and going as far as you can, even on a failure, can get you closer to finding out what you feel does and doesn't work. I mean, I could be wrong, you might just have crippling depression, but I hope you work on whatever is in your head. At least until September. If it fails, put it on the shelf, look it over from time to time and see what you liked about it, what you didn't. And on the next project, avoid those pitfalls, go a bit further, maybe shelf it as well. But see how far you can go every time.

Do you mean here or when you talk about them in person? Just pitch and we will critique it.

I am too attached to my ideas to just sacrifice one. All of them are responses to voids in western comic market, so I want to make sure that they are as good as I can make them and these voids are filled with something worth reading.
Creating a "sacrificial lamb" comic is an option to consider.

I bet good money that it becomes your magnum opus and nothing you ever do, no matter how great, will never be as popular as the thing you just threw out for the hell of it.

That's pretty good. I do need to set a regular time for me to be drawing everyday, along with a regular time to be writing.

I like money and I usually get lots of commission work. You could argue that I could get a patreon and get more, but it's hardly worth the extra effort.

Well, in case anyone in interested, how much would you charge per comic page?

Follow up question to this for everyone.

Lets say you started out on a chan, you shared your comic there and eventually it goes big. You get tons of fans and all that good shit that comes with it.

Would you disown your links to chans in the past? Because this is something I see happen from time to time. Someone starts writing/drawing on Holla Forums while working on their comic. They finally get the comic done after they got some help from people on a chan either through words or advice. They proceed to distance themselves and act like they were never apart of the community.

I'm not saying it's a 'BURN THE FUCKIN' TRAITOR' scenario but would you pretend that you never got any help from people here?

I would say it'd be the complete opposite. A lot of my worldview has definitely changed over the small time I've been alive, and I have to thank chans for it. I used to be a total cucked hyper-liberal faggot who used to browse Reddit unironically and my writing reflected that. Even if I wasn't apart of the SJW cult, my writing still had women placed on huge pedestals above men, and men were always just spineless cowards while women were always super bad ass all the time, where I always had to stop and look at what I was writing, hoping that I wouldn't offend anyone and that it was 100% politically correct.

But now I have been blessed with chan autism and realized how wrong I have been in the past and now I feel fucking great and I am proud to be a white, straight, young man in the CURRENT YEAR, and it definitely shows in writing that I am much more proud of, especially due to a lot of the light hearted, self aware, goofy banter that is within the story, reminiscent of shooting the shit with anons on here in the most unapologetic way possible.

I used to be terrified of having my characters even call niggers "black", and I never even touched on the word "retarded", but now it's used casually (as it should be) and I have to owe it to chans for really opening me up to that point of view. I can happily say that it has changed my writing and I for the better, as retarded as that may sound considering we are on an anonymous image board where all of circlejerk to whoever is getting niggerwashed this week.

I would definitely NOT disown any links towards chans. I would love to be known as a writer who actually browses chans and isn't cucked rather than some smarmy, liberal faggot who spreads their anus for the Social Justice cult and virtue signals all day on Twitter like 98% of modern writers.

Nope…because I wouldn't disown where I got my start..even if it's a chan.

No, but remember there is a point where stepping away from the chan and working alone is probably preferred. I'd never pretend I didn't owe a debt to my fellow channers though, and any work they helped with would in part be dedicated to them.

I honestly wish the chans, and Holla Forums in particular, were as inspiring as they were just a few years ago. There was a time I could go to old Holla Forums and see tons of good artists and writers, but now everyone wants a baby political debate instead of just focusing on the work, and I think it limits how openly creative people will be. In the effort to distance itself from places like tumblr or such, Holla Forums actually became MORE of an echochamber.

Notice people are very vague here. Years ago people would throw out any weird idea they had. But now, people are worried about being seen as leaning too politically one way or another, or being ridiculed for using something they saw recently because the overall opinion they THINK people have is "Holla Forums hates everything". Because people pushed, for whatever reason, against the old "Holla Forums is love" mentality, the boards have become noticeably less creative, less productive, and less cooperative. If I could get the creative input I used to see more often on Holla Forums, or see ideas and freely give my opinion and suggestions more often, I'd be VERY happy to keep with Holla Forums through as much of the creative process as possible.

I just wouldn't disown anyone or hide it or anything, but I also wouldn't make it a big deal. If someone comes along and says "Hey, you're that guy from Holla Forums" I'd be "Yes" and be done with it.

If your comic can stand on it's own, it doesn't really matter where you started out or anything. I don't think a chan is different from any other community in that way, and tribalism is stupid in that regard.

Honestly, I feel like the more I stay away from imageboards, the more productive and happy I become.

There's so fucking much negativity around here that it just brings your spirit down and "muh thick skin" won't do shit for you. I think this is why you rarely see popular content creators spending time in imageboards outside short visits, and the people who tell you to grow a thick skin aren't producing fucking anything.

If I had a "community" outside imageboards, I almost certainly would not come here again for any other reason than checking up on "news", i.e what's happening in the world of comics/videogames/whatever.

That said, I would never pretend like I wasn't here. But I certainly wouldn't sugarcoat it either and pretend that imageboards were "important" for my success. Just because you were the first ones to see what I made, doesn't mean you were responsible for it. I chose to show it to you first. I keep improving all the time and building my concepts even though I rarely post anything related to them here, in fact I produce the most when I'm not spending time here. This place is just a way to spend time and not feel like I'm alone in the world because I don't need friends to discuss shit.

I've asked for help and feedback numerous times in imageboards, but I can't recall many times when I received anything worthwhile in return, except maybe some form of encouragement which I honestly could do without anyway. Getting your cock sucked is much easier in hugbox communities like reddit and deviantart and whatever anyway, so giving imageboards credit for that is kinda stupid.

Being told to "git gud" doesn't build character as much as useless fagtrons like to tell you, it doesn't make you stronger, it doesn't encourage you, it doesn't do anything except build resentment towards this worthless place. Almost every single arrtist can tell when they're not good enough at something, they don't need to be told that, especially when it isn't accompanied by any useful guidance.

Furthermore I feel like I'm better than most of the people giving feedback, because most of the people aren't creators themselves, so they're not capable of giving help in the first place. It's easy for anyone to say when something is wrong, but I can tell that myself. What I need is someone to guide me into the right solution, but people who have little to no skills in the subject can't do that.

A thread about writing novels and books clearly isn't for people with ADHD m8.

I agree a lot with this. There are people who think their criticism is worth as much, if not more, than the anons actually creating stuff. Some people are so caught up in the "chan culture" (which never used to be this uniform) to think that maybe going out of your way to discourage others actually has a negative impact on creators using the board to discuss work. I think a lot of us would have SOMETHING we are good at, maybe one or two of you are really good at lettering or doing digital inking but not the writing and drawing. So offer up your niche, see if there is someone you can work with, but make sure everyone knows that a simple offer isn't an obligation. I'd take a shot a writing a script if I saw a good artist around here, but artists don't show up or announce themselves here because there is NOTHING for them but faggots pushing chan culture over creativity.

Look at this fucker can't even read a bit. Think guys like this are going to be useful to an aspiring artist or writer?

So tell me, if I got a place going, a more structured forum, would that do better for most of you? As much as anonymity is nice for most things, there are times when people only want to say their opinion even though they know it's worthless. It's no different than a lot of the game journalists who pushed a lot of us here over time, loud mouths with no talent who want to push anyone actually creative into a box. I could go on all day about what's not working on this board, but I just want to focus on getting creators with other creators. "Critics" are worthless until people are producing finished work, and even then the vast majority of creators would be better off ignoring them.

This. Most people want to make that epic masterpiece on their first try and put all their energy into doing so, which is understandable yet unrealistic. Everybody starts out being pretty mediorce, even well-known artists/writers.

I wouldn't acknowledge my chan roots outright but I'd point out that an imageboard isn't functionally different than any other internet forum/site.

But have you tried gittin gud?

A lack of commitment and the fact that all the things I really want to write are kind of cliche. I can't really help it, it's just the sort of stuff I like.

So if I wanted to try to "get the band back together" so to speak, where did most of the Holla Forums artists of old go? I know half/co/ was about as creatively dead as here two years ago, plus4chan is mostly a ghost town, the Universe Project board hasn't been touched in 4 years… is everyone just on tumblr and pixiv now? Have the image boards made themselves completely useless creatively, or are there still creative people around?

Nigga, if people didn't keep writing cliche shit, we wouldn't have 90% of all media. Don't focus on how 'original' you are, you'd probably just wind up stealing some idea you didn't know about anyway. Just make what you want to make, there are people who like the shit you like.

True enough, but it's still kind of disheartening when I talk to people about my ideas and I get told it's cliche and have them write it off immediately.

I still just write what I want to write sometimes, but it's the time commitment that gets me, plus a never-ending whirlwind of ideas brewing in my head, all itching to get out, so when I get about a third of the way into one thing I start on another.

It's just frustrating, but at least it's all practice.

It's supposed to be disheartening when people find your work bland and unappealing. That's your brain telling you you need to change up your approach.

It's not the work itself as much as the framework, I tend to start broad and work my way down to finer details and then throw in a couple twists.

I think it's got more to do with the fact that the people I used to write with were colossal fags, but that's neither here nor there.

That's your brain on shekels.

Conforming to what other people want as opposed to what you want isn't fun.

You can make things for yourself as much as you want don't expect anyone else to give a shit about it.

Sure, as long as you don't expect me to do what YOU want.

Some of the most profitable works of fiction on this planet are cliche as all fuck, and numerous others that are financially successful as well. Plenty of people give a shit about that sort of thing, actually.

I thought shilling was not allowed on here though.

There are still creative people around like artists but as pointed out there's barely any point to them being on 8/co/. Our top threads are usually about political BS, we don't have storytimes and there are people acting like fuckin OC threads are the worst thing for this board. The 'chan culture' here isn't really made for supporting people to do their own work. On 4/co/, I thought the write threads there were shit because it was just people circlejerking eachother about their ideas and not actually doing their work.

Chans only help a smidge when it comes to your creative process but that's usually more when your work is close or actually completed. Do we have artists prowling around here? Yes we do but not as many as say half/co/.

Besides most of half/co/'s good artists from the past have already gone on to do their webcomics/other works. Alot of the new ones are whiny and egotistical as all fuck.

That's a bold claim to make about an anonymous image board.

Do you get bullied at school a lot?

Maybe you should git gud.

Where's your comic, faggot?

One does not have to create to have valid critique. That defense is the rallying cry of the butthurt artist, who can't take it when people say meany things about his work.

Well thanks for supporting my viewpoint anyway.

What happened to the write threads here? They used to be pretty active and filled with content.

I think the very idea of trying to create a 'chan culture' for the sake of having one is the folly which prevents it from happening. I suppose its like someone trying to force a meme, it never catches on. These things just tend to happen on their own and if anyone tries to point out the necessity of having a 'culture' then its ultimately doomed to fail. Holla Forums, Holla Forums, Holla Forums, /k/, /monster/, /bane/ and /pone/ are all successful not because they feel a necessity of having an image but because they just let shit happen. The only board that really has any issue with community building is Holla Forums And to some extent Holla Forums and Holla Forums

Because people take the bait, one to many times.

Face it, you don't want to create something people love or even something you love. You just want people to praise you.
Git gud.

I'll consider replying properly when you make a proper bait.

Said every talentless hack who wrote a review for Polygon or Kotaku. Seriously, anonymous critics are WORTHLESS. We can find a ton of shit talkers with ease. If you can't tell someone how to expand on characterization, how to steamline the flow of a page, how to make a transition feel more natural, you're not a "critic". You're someone who accepted that he's worthless, and are bitter at actual creators.

Holla Forums had a culture that pushed for people to be creative and assist eachother. People worked specifically against that culture, to make it more like Holla Forums or Holla Forums at the time. Holla Forums has been a shadow of itself for YEARS, well before the exodus. "Just let it happen" is how we ended up here, and the political shit doesn't just keep to their own threads. Look at the Punisher thread going on, there are like 5 guys talking about the Punisher, trying to work around a few guys pouring their baby politics in for no reason.

Everyone thinks their political opinions matter, and that's NOT TRUE. Everyone thinks that they're a "critic" and that's NOT TRUE. I would take the most talentless CREATOR any day over any of these agenda pushers or critic wannabes. People will bitch and moan about comics not being good anymore, but the moment they're asked to put up or shut up, they just double down on being useless.

There are people who have done their best to bring Holla Forums in line with the "chan culture" as they see it from Holla Forums and other boards. This has to fucking stop, because those boards aren't actually about DOING SHIT in anyway. Writing, drawing, creating. Those are things that should go hand in hand with our appreciation of comics. Because if you've followed the Civil War II threads like I have, you know comics need a new batch of GOOD writers, instead of the sea of idiots writing cash grabs today.

You see user the 'Chan Culture' thing of doing nothing mostly does with the psych of chans. Alot of people on here use this place either to socialize or take heed in the fact there are several others like them here. But once one person or a group of people decide to step up and say 'We're gonna do/make something' there's always gonna be a bunch that want to bring them down. Why that is? It's usually because they don't want someone actually succeeding or making something noteworthy then it reminds them of their feeling of inadequacy. I know it sounds fuckin dumb or pretentious but I've seen examples where people will try to bring something down just because they're not doing anything at the time. And people who do start something may give into this fact when they feel like the numbers are against them.

During the early days of Holla Forums there seemed to be projects starting up everywhere on each board. Holla Forums had its game projects (Anton, that rpg and some other stuff now), Holla Forums had a few that tried up (Verse, the Adventure Time one), even boards like /furry/ or /k/ were trying to do something. But at a certain point, I don't know what happened but it seems like there was just a halt. Like all creative feeling just left all the boards at once leaving us all to go bitter and feel uninspired. I don't know if it was another exodus or something.

Hell I once heard from a mod that there were anons dedicated to making sure nothing got developed on a chan. Take that in.

Did I say anything about anonymous critique retard? I agree that simply saying that 'ur comic a shit' is not valid critique, but to write off all critics as having nothing valid to say simply because they haven't published a work themselves is retarded.

You need to use your judgement to parse out the good critique from the bad.

You are, sadly, very right. There are people who don't want to see anyone else succeed, because it would highlight that they didn't. Hell, anyone who says they like something these days is called a "shill", which much like calling people racist or sexist, is just a quick way to dismiss people who have opinions they don't like. We have to find ways to stop people from trying to shut down discussion, but everyone is afraid of becoming a circlejerk. I'm starting to lean the other way though, because I'd much rather see people producing crap than nothing at all.

Yet a critic needs no such judgement in deciding if he's being useful or not? A creator takes a risk when they put out their work, they have to deal with "critic" from people with any level of talent or lack there of. The reason there are so many "critics" out there is because there is NO RISK. It's a coward's profession, unless backed up with real skill and knowledge. Unless you can talk the talk and PROVE you know enough about story structure, layouts or whatever, you're no critic, and you never will be.

I hate to be that guy but sometimes I really do wish the mods here would actually do more than simply delete cp/ spam, every other board has a policy for banning shitposters besides Holla Forums and its really starting to show. I've got no qualms with Holla Forums; I actually do frequent the board; but the people who come to shitpost about politics really need a boot to the ass. I bet 95% of them don't even browse Holla Forums any other politics board at all (Of course unless they're newfags or shills). I do enjoy the occasional shekel joke but half the time its more baiting than actual humor.

But we do.
I have few promising comics to story time, and just need to finish reading them. I was also considering doing Ekho and/or Sky Doll, since new tome of former one came out recently and latter will be out soon.

Nice, I look forward to that.

I agree fully. I just want to talk about comics and cartoons

Critics are as useful as you make them. If you keep saying they have no right to criticize your work because they never made anything, you wont be able to get anything out of it. People rarely know what they like until they see it, but they always know what they hate. It's not easy to piece everything together to get something useful, but if you're serious about making something well received you'll do it.

Yes, that's how it goes.

Wrong, the reason why there are so many critics is that people will always have opinions about what they see.

What makes you so sure you have real skill and knowledge? Anyone can write or draw, but that doesn't mean you're good at it.

You don't need an extensive knowledge of things to know when you don't like something.

You keep talking about knowledge and skill but you don't get how creating things work. You make something and people read/watch it. Once you accept that you'll have an easier time with opinions you don't like.

Wow I bet you vote for hillary, faggot
>>>Holla Forums

So you admit your worthless and we don't have to read the rest of this. Good, that saved up all a lot of time.

You're doing it wrong

I don't know how to draw, but that's going to change by the end of summer.

Why not now?

If you have an excuse now, you'll have another then.

why do you hate comics so much user

I am learning to drawn now. What I was saying that by the end of summer I'll have made some progress. You think 3 months is too short to be good enough for a webcomic?

That's not what he said though.

Ah, I misunderstood then.

Don't worry user they'll find a cure for the 'tism one day and you'll be free of this crippling literalism

One day I'll figure out what your problem is.

My problem is the jews, will you help me fix my problem?

Talent

i can draw, or at least i am too much of a perfectionist and had some loomid, i still have a long way to come.
i am also trying to learn to not to write something shitty, whatever it is i had been working on i keep holding it back because i don't want to waste people's time with something absolutely terrible.

in the end it's nothing i expect to make any cent out of, just something for fun, but still keep a serious attitude to not to fuck it up

my drawings everything are still shit and my ideas are too niche and overly reliant on in-jokes with my coworkers

I think I know who you are, but I can see why people would be discouraged by it.

It's not that people are mentally tough from "chan culture", they're mentally weak. They might be able to take up insults, but they're unable to prevent their urge to shitpost. I'm very guilty of this myself. Instead of using my thoughts about those posts to compile ideas for a project, they're wasted on threads that eventually become deleted. It doesn't help that I chew bait easily too.

There's really nothing wrong with politics. It's just that people don't bother to make them subtle anymore. Watchmen and Animal Farm were pretty subtle, they didn't go "COMMUNISM IS SHIT FUCK MARXISM", "STUPID BIGOT FUCK REDNECKS", or "WAR IS SHIT, TRUTH SHALL NOT BE SUPPRESSED" at page one. They slowly built up until you reached that conclusion. There needs to be a variety of politics to balance things out.

I see that Holla Forums and Holla Forums have really interesting ideas, but they're aren't placed in projects.

I used to be proactive in an art thread from another board, I even provided resources. It unfortunately attracted the attention of an user who developed a grudge towards me for not doing requests from a thread that I was unaware of. I stopped going to the art thread and went into a better community like /ic/.

It's the type of community that matters. There should be a creator-centric one for comics.

People like that, true autistic fucks, are always a problem. They get by thanks to the anonymity, and thinking everyone is messed up or weak except them. I once had a guy completely obsessed with his fetish, trying to force it into any discussion in a tread I had for a project years ago on Holla Forums. I took the discussion to plus4chan, where a lot more real work was going on at the time. Fucker followed me there! Luckily, that place is actually moderated, and it was a simple fix, but just dealing with an autistic fuck who wants to get in the way of actual productive people is a problem I think everyone should actively fight.

As it is, this board does not seem moderated enough, or motivated enough for IDs and other little things that honestly are useful for getting shit done. IDs are even just nice so you don't actually have to namefag all day, and you're reliably the actual person who represents whatever project your working on. It was fine on the projects board on plus4chan, but that was a smaller, dedicated crowd.

We tried before but people kept saying they don't want them. Aren't we one of the only main boards that doesn't have IDs? Sure you can fake out of it but it cuts back on alot of the shitposting.

Also it makes project work easier like you said. I wish we had it in the Infinity-Verse threads.

It would've probably saved them too considering the Holla Forums faggot caused the whole project to enclose themselves in a hugbox.

I would hope not. I don't post anything that specifically identifies me and I've never shared my DA myself.

I think if we honestly were to make another attempt at getting everyone on board with creating stuff, and I mean EVERYONE, it would have to involve the creation of a new board or forum. Maybe even doing it on Holla Forums would be a weakness, because a lot of good artists and writers completely abandoned the chans a few years back. I don't go to /tg/ anymore, but I remember that board having tons of artists years ago, and I lead a few of them to another image board when the mods started cracking down on lewds (and honestly, most of us just wanted to draw lewds). I was too late to get everyone though. I'd love to get a lot of those old creators, and inspire a lot of new ones. I feel that would be a damn worthy cause.

You're talking to that so called Holla Forums faggot right now.

Do we have to do this man? I don't want to fight you guys or feel like I made things a hugbox. All I wanted was to see that if something would be made from it.

It's going to take something big to get people working together on another project. Something people could feel they can contribute to.

Also user you keep saying it but can you tell me, in your own words, how I made it a hugbox?

Don't worry, it's not on here. I heard a similar conversation from users in another community (chat client). Some of them browse this website.

Giving tools by posting resources and tutorials seem to help. It worked for /ic/.

You abandoned Anton and Coopeckler; which had far more progress done and needed clear leadership; to actually start publishing hard copy comic books of Holla Forums made creations. Not only did you break the fundamentally rule of paying actual shekels to get this shit done but you managed to single handily split Holla Forums's whole drive for projects in half. The thing that separated us from half-chan was the drive to stay on Holla Forums, those first 6 months were magical and now its nothing more but tears in rain.

I pitched multiple times to the infinity-verse people when the user broke the news about the slack hugbox, to make our own board for serious discussion. They ignored it and look what happened! Hell if Holla Forums, Holla Forums and even the fucking horsefuckers at /pone/ can get shit done, why can't we?

Because that is the curse of Holla Forums. It's been that way ever since cuckchan. No matter what Holla Forums tries to do or not do it WILL end badly. History has proven time and time again that Holla Forums will inevitably get fucked and that no shit will get done. It's an amazingly sad state of affairs and I wish to one day see this curse broken.

It is hard to deal with people simply getting disillusioned or bitter because their ideas aren't being used. I need to think of some way where people can focus on what they want to do, and then offer others a chance to contribute or pitch ideas that work toward that idea. I figure the easiest thing would to be a forum, let creators make a thread. Artists would have concept drawings, characters, settings or genres they want to work in, writers would have settings, characters or full scripts, and we establish that OP is in charge of anything they create, and any thing you contribute is a contribution in good faith to that person, with the option for a real partnership up to OP. That way there is no uncertainty about ownership, anything you give OP in their thread is OPs to use or not use. People will still get upset that their ideas aren't being used, but they have the option of starting their own threads to see if there is interest from others.

But these are just off the cuff ideas so far, so I worry that I'm missing something important. I think it's also important that all projects are SEPARATE COMICS, the idea of turning things into a "universe" should only really be done by partners on a similar wavelength. I met a few guys that had solid ideas I could totally work with on the Universe Project from 4-5 years ago, but the vast majority of people were just people with very different goals than myself. Which is fine, but the current comic book universes didn't start as universes, they just started as books that sometimes crossed over. That's all people should bother with, it's a much more manageable thing for all involved, and a real universe needs a skilled editor to bring together.

I'll be honest, I may have missed all this, depending on when it was. My activity here has only really started up again recently, but I have thought a lot about the failed projects I've personally seen rise and fall.

Holla Forums is too unfocused. Everyone has different preferences and tastes, and there's an unlimited amount of things you could be doing because comics are about telling stories which is just about as vague as you can get. Something like MLP is extremely focused in comparison.

What things has Holla Forums done anyway? Katawa shoujo? What else? Nothing that I know of.

What? I never wanted to do that shit. That was never the idea. The idea always was to make a free comic that everyone could see of Holla Forums-based creations. The only thing I did was open up my wallet to pay artists to draw stuff for the project. It was NEVER an intent to sell it, where the hell did you get that from?

The problem I saw in the Verse threads was the same one I saw for alot of projects. People wanted to talk the talk but when work was actually needed no one wanted to do anything. No one barely wanted to commit writing, there wasn't any art coming in, we were heading pretty much for where /coc/ is right now on 4chan. Now I wouldn't have cared if we hadn't agreed to make it a flowing storyline with it but we did and it needed structure.

But tell me user, seriously now, why the hell did you think I would sell work of other people without their permission? I don't want any hate between us, I just want to understand.

I'll be honest with you here, I wasn't able to keep up with Anton that much when I got booked for more days at work. The usual guy I had around to keep me updated about stuff (The VA for Anton) wasn't around that much anymore. If I wasn't able to keep a presence there that much then I felt I shouldn't have kept being lead if that was the case.

Also it didn't help on the team itself there was drama happening. People started to stop showing up for meetings and instead wanted to spend their time shitposting in the Holla Forums discord (I'm tempted to say names but I won't). I gave Anton to a guy I trusted on the team to lead it as I couldn't keep with it anymore. The simplest things I wanted to push in order to get the game organized were getting shot down.

Notice how Anton doesn't have a proper game doc or a controller layout scheme? I tried for months to get people to help me write it, I began making the layout but at most turns people on the team were telling me 'Oh we don't need it now' and all that.

Tell that to fucking Holla Forums and Holla Forums

That's why I asked what Holla Forums has supposedly accomplished that separates it from Holla Forums.

Holla Forums isn't comparable because they're not creating entertainment products. Unless I'm missing something.

Seriously guys? I said anyone could join it.

Honestly it could've been a whole mistake in the wording, with the whole ideas of "publishing them", "paying artist" and the lime-light dream early on in the threads of seeing actual physical copies of the works made. As shown by /mlp/ and /lit/ back in half-chan

You should've seen the warning signs.

The only thing I said was that I paid artists to draw characters for the Verse. That was it, it was never an intention to sell any of it. Why the hell would I?

Dude like you wouldn't believe. You wanna know the stupid shit I had to deal with on the Anton team? I'm about to blow the freakin lid on crap right now.

I had people complaining about alot of stupid shit on the Anton slack. I had people complain to me that others weren't talking about vidya enough on the shitposting channel in it, I had people hating others for virtually no freakin reason.

You want a story? I'm not gonna say names here but a sound person we had really hated another person on the team for no reason. Like snide remarks about them in private, taking time to berate them. An accident happened to the guy where he nearly died and this person told him that they were hoping they died in the accident. I had to let that guy go after that crap.

Holla Forums users host servers and have an /adgd/ community.

Holla Forums users create podcasts and influential memes to warrant the attention of angry journalists.

I do tune in to listen to one podcast made by a Holla Forums user. He tells a lot of harsh truths about all political spectrums.

That's fucked up. I mean, I hated a LOT of coworkers, but I never actually wished death on any of them, especially vocally. Double especially not TO THE PERSON.

That is the hardest shit about any group project, and why I really don't envy anyone on Holla Forums trying to get shit going. A comic? Man, you need 1-5 people, it's a small operation and you don't actually need to work with anyone you don't like. Vidya? Everything is pure time consuming, has to be tested and checked often unless it's small as fuck. Few people know ALL the steps for a good game, they specialized in the area that interested them, and when they turn out to be fuck ups or crazy, the team has to find someone else specialized in that area.

No most of the top ten don't have IDs.

I tried to semi-screen people when we spoke through emails but I couldn't catch some of the loonies that go through into Anton. The ironic thing about chan projects is that you get people with the skills needed for the project but themselves turn out to be an insufferable cunt or just plain crazy. You never know what happens till you get people into a closed environment ya know? We dodged a few bullets on Anton but some still did get through.

Fuck some managed to get in at the beginning.

For that project people loved to say 'Oh you're not doing this for money and don't have a deadline so what's the problem?'

Having no deadline is a problem. Because when you don't know when the game will be done then 100 different kinds of shit is gonna happen between when you start and when you're working on. Important people could leave, people could lose interest, people could die (actually happened on Anton) and some will decide they hate everyone then jet (also actually happened).

Holla Forums is pretty damn fuckin neurotic I'll be honest. Everytime you ask them for help on a project the person you're gonna get is always random choice. It usually rides between A) Unstable to a degree, B) Literally autistic or C) Actually normal.

A and B are so common from Holla Forums and usually the people who fall into C) spend the least time on the slack.

Someone should make a Holla Forums project simulator, where you randomly get crazy, autistic or normal people for your project, and some will only reveal their power level after a while.

There will be no way to win the game

You don't say…
Honestly anything that turns away from the original thread, be it Skype, Slack, IRC or whatever is destined to fail.

Anton is still going well enough.

Because it goes to a place like slack, skype and all that crap doesn't mean it's going to fail. What really will kill it are the people you get there.

What makes you think a private environment kills it?

How is Slack? Does it have any major advantages over a simple forum?

The major advantage is that it's easier to chat since it's instant and file sharing is alot faster as well. It's more a better convenience since it's quicker than say skype (seriously skype fuckin sucks for projects). It could be a matter of preference, I enjoy it because it's a faster environment.

Okay, so perhaps something like a forum for ease of getting people together to meet, and then different teams might be able to make use of Slack… I admit, I'd love to hear about any and all of the obstacles you faced so that I can figure out if I want to try to organize like minded people to get shit done. I know some of the problems would be handled by it merely being a lot of separate projects, but I'd have to have people I trust helping moderate so one or two assholes still don't fuck everything up.

If you do forum then go to slack you know what's gonna happen? People who do don't choose are gonna be stuck on the forum and probably complain about the fact you didn't choose them.

Now if you mean getting people from other environments to get together? For Anton and Infinity-Verse we actually did browse forums for people to join up if they liked the idea. Sometimes you just have to take a gamble with people if they like your idea, if they aren't going to work out then you let them know its not going well.

For Anton and Infinity-Verse the problem was always getting new people assimilated into an ongoing project. There was a case on Anton where one of my main guys recruited in three animators from an off site environment then they stopped showing up after 3 weeks without doing anything.

Is there any specific questions you wanted to ask?

Personal experience, public communities going private is more or less a death sentence. RIP Legion, Infinity Never and a couple General's of the past

Are you fucking mental!

Well user I guess it just varies in experience right? I've seen a degree of success come from private environments, I've seen some fall in public.

This is a problem because? This happens all the time on chan related projects.

Anton wise, do you know how long we were asking for animators to join us? Months after our main one left. Would we be at fault to get animators outside of a chan who'd be totally cool with it?

jesus christ calm your autistits

Are you retarded or something?

Not everyone is an autist like you outside of imageboards.

Wasn't there discussion in a thread about reviving the cartoon creation general with a concept similar to that? Basically people creating shit for no set universe just throwing whatever into the air and if it sticks it sticks.

I'm hoping basically keeping the forum very clearly biased toward creators in their own threads, will help keep shit from getting to bad. Since it wouldn't be about making a universe or any sort of unified project, simply an effort to pair like minded writers with artists and other people who want to contribute (colorists, letterers, etc.). I honestly wouldn't need to specify anything outside of the forum, users would be able to private message and just take projects off the forum once they have a team they can agree on. That way, at worst it'll be a lot of small failures, instead of one big one, and at best a few actual finished comics that don't need to associate at all with other teams.

I guess any tips on keeping people in general engaged would be helpful, as I'd try to help in an overall sense if I started this up.

Nonsense. The initial wave of brainstorming from threads eventually dies down, or becomes a mess. Eventually you need to focus the project down to a small team. Because a small team of people that all work toward a single goal will get further than a mob of people who all think the project should be one thing or another. I contributed a few sketches to a /tg/ posthumanism setting idea… it didn't even last the thread, because there was no clear direction. The strength of the image board, an influx of any and all ideas, becomes a hindrance after a certain point. Not to mention an image board is SHIT for organizing things. I have a comic idea spread out over several hundred posts on an old image board, it took me hours to sort through all relevant information so I could properly organize and back it all up. Hell, the one project I had that got pretty far, purely using image boards to share information, to be heavily organized just so my artist could sort through all the layouts and script revisions, this is a trimmed down sample of HALF the stuff I did layouts and script for. Imagine these, and older versions of some of the same pages, spread out over 200 or so posts. I don't think I ever want to attempt a project in such a slapdash way, and maybe it would have gotten even further if I took the project to another type of site.

I wouldn't know, honestly, since I honestly never focused myself enough on animation for that sorta thing. But I think it could be a good system for that as well.

I still have some of the pics saved from the first two times. If you guys want to give it one more whirl I'd be happy to post em so someone else can start it.

I'll be honest user be glad that you're not doing a unified project because those ones usually have the most problems. Keep your team small and don't try to over-extend on the limit. Anton in the beginning had almost 60 people on board for it but it took us months to actually get work down and ready. During that time we dwindled down heavily.

Infinity-Verse slack has been only 5 people (8 if you count the artists who joined us) and it's been alot easier to get things done with that many. It's been easier to assign who can write who and get the ideas more thoroughly thought out due to it.

Also chans aren't entirely a bad thing for projects but it depends on the project. If the project is a 'do whatever you feel like' type of thing then you're pretty much game for an imageboard. If everyone is working on their own thing, their own idea then things feel much more at home in a public environment. But if you want to get structure down and push things down a certain path then that's when things need to go into a private setting.

Also for tips of keeping people engaged, you yourself need to be the one that's hyped up. You see no one has been doing writing for a while? Maybe start doing some yourself to give people ideas, ask questions, keep their minds buzzing about it.

Hey did the Fourth OC thread get deleted? The third one is still Auto-Sagging up but the link to the Fourth thread is gone .

Wait where is the fourth OC thread? I just noticed it was gone

Okay, so if I do this, on top of maybe getting a few ideas out there or finding collaborators for myself, I should prioritize being something to actively engage everyone who comes in. Which, like you said, might just be asking questions for a better idea of ideas that might catch more attention if explained in more detail. I know when I was working on the above comic (which was never finished, but was over a year of time, off and on, I wouldn't trade in for anything), just having an user from time to time ask about it helped keep me motivated. And, hopefully, from there others would be inspired by that example.

But of course I have to avoid needless praise, as I'd like to avoid any hugboxes or echochambers if possible. A focus on being constructive though, should be job one.

If I get something like this going though, it won't just be here. I know a few honestly creative guys never cared about the exodus, and a lot of others left chans in general. Besides me seeking specific people, what other places should I personally put feelers out on?

I wish I could find either of these two artists. Despite not staying around to be part of the idea once it took a more solid form, they both did a lot to influence the direction I was taking with the writing. Though, after all this time, I feel my layouts and writing could be improved overall.

Yeah it just disappeared

user when you're working on a project you do what it takes to see it flourish and survive. I'm sorry to say this here but fuck that chan mentality of 'it stays here and dies here' it leads to alot of shitty results when people do that. You want another story? I heard this from a guy who briefly did work on an /a/ project back in the day.

I forgot what the project was but for the few weeks it went on it was going pretty well. It wasn't getting the amount of effort that the lead wanted so one guy suggested maybe they should search off site in order to get more people. The lead's response? HE WENT FUCKING NUCLEAR. I mean he started calling out the user who suggested it then systematically started destroying the project just because one user recommended they take it off site. A guy killed a project just because he wasn't willing to get people off site.

Chans provide alot of good people but you're not always going to get those you want to fill in the holes. You put feelers where you can and get who you can, as long as they do good work and get along with others that's all you should care about. You're all there to do the project at the end of the day so who freakin' cares where they originate from?

What was the project you were working on?

Currently, I feel like doing some writing if I find any artists who don't feel confident in their own writing. I have my own comic idea that I want to do the art and writing on, but that's a slow process. I can comparatively write or even do layouts for a project much faster. I'm actually thinking about changing my entire drawing style to be a more simple, streamlined style due to how my biggest obstacle tends to be doing finished art after I have the other work done. Almost as if, once I can fully visualize the comic, I focus too much on the faults and shelve it. I think if I can get a quicker style and overall improve my technique (so I'm not wasting time on needlessly over rendering panels) I'll get to the finished stage of something with much more motivation.

But, I guess what I'm really thinking about tonight is getting people on Holla Forums (all Holla Forumss) working again, setting examples for others. Because, I love bitching about some modern comics, too, but at some point I feel we all gotta just focus on making what we want to see. If I can say "I helped that guy finish he book" or "those two met on a forum I got going" then I'd be fairly satisfied. There are also collaborators I once worked with who I simply don't talk to regularly, and I'd like to bounce ideas off them and let them bounce ideas off eachother. Just like online jam sessions, people exchanging ideas and advice in an effort to push everyone ahead, instead of people trying to hold everyone back. I admit, this goal is very driven by a nostalgic feeling for how Holla Forums was years ago.

Oh well, I'll sleep on this and see how I feel about it all tomorrow. I will be very open about where I look for people. I'll see if any of the collaborators I had in the old Universe Project or even a few rpgs I worked on are into the idea.

If it involves halfchan, good fucking luck in trying to get people from here to work nicely with them.

How autistic can someone get?

Go for it user. Look forward to seeing what you'll churn out.

You say that now but when the memes start flying, shits gonna get ugly

Doesn't take a chef to taste shit.

It's nearly been two years since the first exodus, user. Whether you accept it or not, this site has received a lot of attention over this long stretch of time. There's no point in trying to force chan culture conformity on here when there's a huge volume of crossposting between websites already.

no ideas
can't write
haven't drawn in years
could never draw cartoon art (as in art that isn't sketches from real life objects)
requires a lot of dedication and I have other shit to do.

And it won't matter because no one will be forced, or even implied, that they need to give some sort of rundown of their posting history to post or start a thread. I'll trim posts from specific threads on a per request basis, mostly, based on the desires of the OP of each thread. So if someone comes in politically obsessed, they can deal specifically with people who also care, and would be encouraged not to try to pour politics into ideas that don't need them.

People have different interests and backgrounds, that's a good thing. Despite half Holla Forums having problems, it never had a compelling reason for an exodus except a staggering drop in quality and driving out all creative anons, which happened LONG before GG started up. I don't care if artists and writers use dA, tumblr, pixiv or whatever, if they can make ideas or help realize ideas that make good comics, we want them around. There is no unified Holla Forums culture anymore, and perhaps attempting to make one isn't the right move. It's not about forming a culture, it's more about making a place where creators can be put in touch with like-minded creators, hopefully allowing cooperation to help more of them finish works than those alone.

The questions my parents would ask me after I post it. My mom wouldn't be to freaked out to much but my dad is a bit of a prude. He tends to get visibly uncomfortable when he listens to dirty jokes unless he's the one joking which is a little concerning considering.
Just to give you a taste of what the comic will be like.
I wouldn't be so worried if they didn't keep tabs on all my social media accounts but I think everything will be fine if I just nut up and post it.
Pics related are some of the characters.

Oh my. Eitherway, good luck with the comic. You doing like a series of single strips approach, or something with a longer structure?

Maybe Holla Forums NEEDS a simple and quick project just to break the fucking curse in the first place? Just something that is a WE CAN'T FAIL type of multiple individual projects done quickly in a short period of time.

Could it be possible to get for individual anons to volunteer to try a "24 hour comic" challenge? Where someone has to make a 24 page story in 24 hours?

Basically a Holla Forums undertakes a faster, better cheaper comic project approach.

And I know that some here probably wouldn't like the idea of 24 hours because they might be busy/family/whatever but even increasing it to a week would be okay.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity

I'm in university, and not the artistic course because fuck that shit, I can handle numbers.

So no time for creative endeavors. Also I have to many creative projects including arts, different vidya mods, worldbuilding and RPG system homebrewing.

Hosting a server is fucking trivial compared to actually making something, let alone producing a book or a visual novel.

Creating memes is also not the same at all, you just need to assemble an army of idiots to spam it until the increasingly irrelevant media acknowledges it therefore counting as being "influential". Shitposting isn't a creative skill, it's more like a personality type. Anyone can do it, and anyone who's clever can do it well.

There's the "how's your webcomic" in 4/co/ which is essentially /agdg/ for comics. Some people in Holla Forums draw thread make comics too, but I guess that doesn't count because it's a videogame related comic huh.
Here's a question, would that start counting as a "Holla Forums creation" if the artist posted that comic in Holla Forums? MLP comics are /pone/ even though MLP is a cartoon. It seems that nothing counts as Holla Forums unless the theme does not coincide with any other board's theme.

Not necessarily, if it falls under comic or cartoon or had at least an adaptation in either form but usually it's in another it should be fine here. It's just talked over at those boards because they actually stay on topic and the mods actually do their jobs. Just recently Holla Forums had a lovely Berserk thread and everything went smoothly. And Holla Forums and Holla Forums always had over lapping topics. You're just being pretentious

Now you're talking about threads staying on topic? I'm talking about things that different boards actually create.

This sounds a lot like a pride thing to be honest. Holla Forums things are actually being created, but it's a problem because you want Holla Forums Holla Forums specifically to get credit for them. Or was that the problem from the start?

No I was talking about what's technically Holla Forums related and what's not. Different boards can have comic discussion and usually the quality is slightly higher because of the infrequently made thread and the lack of shitposters derailing shit.
At the same time similar aspects apply to Holla Forums, we have better metriod threads than Holla Forums, our meta threads aren't completely ass like this thread has shown and though our mod doesn't do enough he doesn't censor shit either. There's also certain shows that have special status here, like Digimon, Power Rangers and any dub anime from 4kids. Holla Forums can have actual good /a/ discussions when it wants to but as of late with the shitposting at an all time high we can't.

Welcome to Holla Forums. Extension The whole internet

A mix of both. Some chapters will go over a cohesive arc while others are just one of strips in the style of Yonkoma.

Reminder that the Premier Pulp project from Holla Forums is the only one that actually did break the curse.

They are an anthology comic magazine where artists and writers group together to create something. They managed to do this for three issues and are currently working on the fourth. Holla Forums did manage to make a successful project.

8ch.net/co/res/616179.html

Well lets give this one more try, user

Motivation mostly. I have a pretty fleshed out setting from writing D&D campaigns and it'd only take me practicing actually drawing shit to get it rollling. But I cant get motivated to, and don't care enough TO get motivated. Not for lack of trying but I just can't muster up the gumption.

Sounds exciting, I already have today and the next few weeks planned so I drew it right now since I already know exactly what I'll be doing.

Talent and standards

Dump both of those. Become next Chris-chan. Make money. Fuck NO bitches Become your own waifu Don't become Chris-chan

4u

I started a webcomic, it took more effort than I could muster at the time. I'm feel I'm almost ready to start updating again. Those fucking Dumbing of Age edits give me life.

Comics do take a lot more effort than it at first seems. You really don't realize it until you start drawing them.

Yes. Though I'd drawn some for my amusement before that. I'm gonna chalk it up to not being emotionally well or some bullshit like that.

|B^U

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Yeah, this world, it's done, m8s.

Meant the 24 hour Comic Challenge by Scott McCloud, not the "Hourly Comic Day challenge"

Though any one here can do that if they want, it's just that is usually shorter and is subjected around your personal life on a single day.

I'm pumping out some sketches for the climactic battle in my comic. How much prep work do any of you do before you start on a page? Right now I sorta brainstorm ideas for panels and actions I want to see, toss in a few notes for why I'm even drawing it and how it plays in the story, and will make a formal script and layout for it when I have enough material.

i believe in you anons, fuck, of all boards that this conversation brought up i think /mu/ is a good example i am surprised no one mentioned, they still make albums and that's since the first exodus.
why can't we keep up a project too?

Writer's block and procrastination for me. I've been fairly able to write well on my own terms but I at times have trouble thinking WHAT to do next and then when I can't do it quickly, I get easily side tracked to something more entertaining. I can't tell you how many times I've started writing then get bored and turn my attention to something else. It's actually frustrating because I have the best ideas in my head and I say to myself "I GOT to write this down" but then it gets overly complicated and boring.
Maybe I'll find the inspiration soon since I have a friend who wants to make a Graphic Novel with me, he has a producer who worked at Studio Ghibli to produce our stuff if we need him.

Conflicting ideals, Constant shitposting and no single community (Holla Forums is spread to thin, if communication between Anons is not mainly focused in the thread, then disorganization develops. Outside groups develop and in the worst case scenario they don't give updates on their progress leaving the original people and lurkers who have a vague interest in the project in the dark.) Basically a Hugbox develops

I think the seemingly TOTAL lack of moderation means we have so many unchecked shitposters, that I don't think most people WANT to work with other anons anymore. They'll cry about hugboxes, or being 'critics' but in truth there are enough trolls purposefully making sure a creative community is near impossible. This place is a fucking mess. It needs active mods, it needs IDs, it needs less shitposters. 30 decent users could do more work here than 200 all working to make the board worse and less creative.

I might just look into making a new board, I don't even care if many people come

Honestly you don't need the ID's as long as the mods do their job, Holla Forums's a slow enough board not to warrant them.

Well, we don't have that, so IDs would have made self moderation a lot easier. I have no idea why this board is set up the way it is if we don't have any volunteers to clean it up.

For anyone interested, I decided to start my own board, and see how it goes. The board is called /comic/, deals with comics only, and is mainly there to encourage people to get working on their books. I figure some people interested in making comics are in this thread, so come on over.

And can't draw and my description ability leaves a lot to be desired. I can script to hell and back though.

What's your writing style? What kinda stuff do you want to write?

That's my main problem, why even try if no one gives a shit? Hell, I'm doing a little gambling in my mind, if I get feedback on my comic, I continue, if not I'll do something else.

I'll be honest, boards like these are just bittersweet, in one side they got loli shit and the other is how to not write/remake X & Y cartoon, but I learned that I can add acid humor or cussing to my comic so it wouldn't look stupid, and balancing the male and female genders.
(comic is too triggering for tumblr, should I risk)

Don't do it for us, or other people. If you want to make a comic, make it for YOU. Your motivation has to be personal, because failure is totally possible. But if you get a book done from start to finish, that's a DAMN GOOD feeling, even if you're the only one who likes it.

You mean I can still reap what I sowed?

I don't think I could ever be assed to do something for me. If I just wanted to have something only for me, I would probably just imagine it and be done with it. There is no point in putting hard work into something when it would probably be an inferior version to what's already in my mind.

That said, even if you seek to be read by other people, you shouldn't try to adulterate your work to please them because that's how shitty soulless design-by-committee works are born. This doesn't mean not listening to feedback (because nobody is perfect and the collective consciousness may be able to spot errors or imperfections you didn't during production, or even think about things you wouldn't have realized you could do), but fuck anyone who tries to tell you any of your intentional decisions are wrong. I'd rather have in the world something original I don't like than something generic that has been watered down to try to appease everyone, because the former furthers the evolution of art while the latter just makes it become stagnant.

That's what "writing for yourself" means to me. Write something you like, and then give no fucks about the people who don't like it. Chances are that unless you are drawing Sonichu 2.0 (which I am sure it has its fans who actually enjoy the comic for what it is and not for the author, despite reading it "ironically"), somebody out there will like your work. Those people there are those who make it worth it to write your stuff, and you should take your great ideas out of your imagination if only for that single person who will enjoy your work. Do it for that single person, even if it's your mother.

Are the dark days of constant SJW complaining finally over?

No, but this has been a pretty good thread overall. There are still good posters around, it's just hard to see them at times.

Most imageboard group projects tend to be like that. We managed to assemble one that was full of nice and competent people some years ago with just people from /x/, but everyone became demoralized when we showed what we had to the rest of the board and had an universally negative response because we dared to make the main character a dark-skinned girl and apparently, horror stories can only star white girls because brown skin makes everything less scary. We dissolved soon after that, but it was promising, specially with the revamp we thought about after the hard crash. I still have in mind making this as a solo project if only in honor of those glorious bastards; they truly were real bros.

Then you have the Tox team, where they had a sociopath trying to shut down the project at first for no good reason, then an asshole who stole their fundings to pay for his college quota. Despite this, they have been relatively successful, but it seems like the journey was extremely painful.

If I were you, I would try to set up a small IRC channel with the people willing to join the project. Talk to them, get to know a bit how they are, just chill around with them for a few days (not many or else you will get a plain shitposting channel) without actually getting much done, then migrate the remaining people to a new channel and start working on it. Chances are the people that remained care about the project rather than drama. You should still be careful about people trying to destroy the project, and you should have to identify them and call them out on their bullshit before it's too late, maybe even outright throwing them out of the project before they can do any real damage. Luckily nobody in our /x/ group turned out to be a retard, but I guess this would be the best procedure had something like that happened.

This isn't about the /x/ project group, but I also have some experience managing communities from some special snowflake roleplay guild I managed in an MMO: ALWAYS try to be as transparent as possible. People rile up against teams because some ugly fact was unsuccesfully attempted to be hid; transparency just helps removing that air of mystery that the "higher up", managers or simply members of a closed group have, and it also prevents people from being tempted to slip shady stuff under the radar. There is nothing to lose from publishing everything, considering leaks are fairly probable anyway. I would also recommend against forming a clear command hierarchy and rather just attempt to divide work like civilized people in a more horizontal system to avoid people becoming envious of the higher ups, but if you still want to, NEVER EVER make a separate private communication channel for them. That stuff can only backfire.

Hmmm, not the guy you're replying to, but that's some stuff for me to think about. As I'm still thinking about making a projects forum for getting comic creators together, I'll try to remember this sorta thing.

Anton I'll say is a project that I saw all the problems when it was far too late. The main issue on it was that there were people who were total insufferable cunts but we had to put up with them because they had skills we needed or were too hard to replace. You wanna know the hardest thing about imageboard projects? Its hard to see people stepping up when its going on. Yet AS SOON AS its announced its dead then 50 people are gonna come outta nowhere to say 'I was right! I knew it wouldn't happen' ironically these would be some of the people we needed before. During some Anton threads there was one modeler user who would post up models he did of Anton then say he refuses to help the project because its on a private chat channel.

But at the same time I can understand why people would be sketchy of it. So many chan projects have failed in the past for dumb reasons.

You wanna know the true thing that kills chan projects?

Egos

Its mostly because of the contrast of the skin itself. It makes the protagonist more scary instead of the actual villain

Honestly another user tried to do a similar idea early on in 8/co/'s lifespan. From what I remember it did not end well.
docs.google.com/document/d/1I01BJmecSh9JTPtP8OfKavsqETo2M3bXN660EhlbdPU/edit

That didn't go well because the user didn't entirely know what he was doing. He bit off more than he could chew.

Been scrolling through here recently, and i'm shocked to see a thread like this on 8 again.

So Wanna Be Artfag for years now, Recently got interested in Comics cause Fuck why not.

So Here a quick look at what stop and causes me to pursue doing comics.

I got tons of books on the issue of art, Anatomy, Perspective, Shading, Coloring, Sequential Development almost everything to at least learn to become a decent artist in general.

I work on many comics random ones, but usually practice pages to get the feel of it.
Pics related
If i can give any advice
Practice
Don't be a lazy fucker
Always try to outdo yourself
Don't avoid Hard Work
Learn/Observe others in the profession, even look at other general art (Animations, Poster, Manga and etc)
Try to draw EVERYTHING, and i mean everything… Books, Penis, Cloud, Dead Bodies whatever. Just draw it.
Start small and Just Make as many mistakes as possible. You can always try again
Make sure to save past Stuff and Look back to see what you did differently.
Practice
Practice
Practice

Oh and Do yourself and others a favor don't do something because everyone else is doing it. Do something you love, don't do action comics if you like cartoony ones better. Don't draw realistic stuff if you naturally attract to abstract and off model stuff.

Just Have fun…
Sorry for the Art Dump It's to Motivate Others

Page 1 and I can already tell this is NOT like what I want to do. I just want to make a place for artists, writers, etc. can meet and see who works together, I have no publishing experience. So I guess I'd also want to provide places for people who DO have publishing experience can post and work with teams that form naturally.

NEVER apologize for an artdump! It's uplifting just to confirm we have artists on the board these days. I hope you're getting to do a few books you're really interested in.

I'm not an original person. I just find it much easier to modify an existing work then to create my own.

Have you considered public domain characters? I got a few characters I want to do major stuff with that are public domain.

My writing style? I'm not sure how to answer that. I just know in the past that my dialogue and characterization have been praised, and the worst part of writing for me is explaining setting. I either give too little or too much.

I have ideas that have been bouncing through my head for years. If you're asking about genre, a lot is Urban Fantasy. I just like magic in the modern world, open or secret.

Interesting. If you feel balance of detail is a problem, have you considered mixed medium? Kinda like how Watchmen had world lore documents such as book excerpts or advertisements at the end of an issue. Or if you wanted to be more direct, Earth X ended each issue with pure prose about various bits of world lore not addressed in the main comic (though some people honestly did complain about that). While working out the best way to present the most information possible effectively in the comic itself would be best, adding a small bit of world lore that the characters are assumed to know about to the end of a book could be a solution to keeping a certain pace and only explaining details to those readers who care the most for them.

If not here, I'm sure somewhere you'll find an artist that would love to do some Urban Fantasy stuff. Especially someone with an rpg background, I remember a lot of friends getting heavy into games like Vampire and Urban Arcana.

Aw man, that's how I started drawfagging back in the days. I'd edit pictures and redraw popular reaction pics with other characters.

Nothing, I've already written some. I was making a webcomic in 2001, I made a second webcomic in 2005, I wrapped that one up in 2014, I finished writing a novel early this year, and I'm almost done with a second novel.

I fear nothing about it because the entire world can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Be careful with that. Otherwise you may end up making a comic with lots of world building but little to no cohesive story, like Nowere Men. It also doesn't help that world in Nowhere Men is not well thought out at all.

Since you are working on urban fantasy, extensive world building might not be necessary if setting is similar enough to our world. Classic option to have a newcomer character which allows you to weave in background info directly into the story. Another option that is severely underused in comics is providing extra info through background art. Keep in mind that usually readers don't really have to know everything about the setting to follow the story, and some mystery can help to keep interest.

How well was web comic received? Was it more or less popular than you thought it would be? Any surprises or advice regarding getting it made, put online, and dealing with fans?

Thanks, I'll keep these in mind when I really get the ball rolling.

The lack of talent and ideas.

This shitposter has an odd fetish for Holla Forums and Holla Forums

I don't understand the reasons behind a person doing that, so i'm not sure if I would end up doing it too. That being said I have a pretty solid history of not doing complete 180's to people, and I doubt this would be an exception.
I have a feeling though, that this is an attempt to grab a wider audience and not get held back by the bad reputation the chans kinda give.

social anxiety.

the same thing that's stopping me from doing all the other amazing things i am capable of doing.

unfortunately, the world is full of people and you have to interact with some of them in order to do things.

Who's the laughably bad Hawkeye ripoff?

could we read some of your brilliant work? it's just, you're so disdainful and confident about the subject, it can only attest to your effortless mastery of it, right? :^)

Well, if you got the time to devote to the drawing and writing, comics are probably the most fully featured story telling mediums that don't really NEED more than one person. If you wanted to make a movie or play, you'd need people, but not for comics. Hell, that's a huge part of why I focused myself so much toward them, I don't need anybody except myself to get one done. It just increases my personal workload a LOT.

I'm afraid because of my time spent as a lolcow several years back. If I ever got the Encyclopedia Dramatica treatment, I'd probably kill myself.

Jeez what happened to you?

You could work under an alias or something. I mean, worst that can happen is people will make fun of your new persona as well.

It depends what the guy did. Even if he works under another alias people have ways of connecting the dots.

That's true. Well, user might as well tell us how bad it got, and maybe we can think of a way for him to salvage himself. Otherwise, he'll have to work on throwing away all shame should he ever create again. Shame is overrated anyway.

Haha I know that, I caused massive drama when I tried to get my revenge on an artist for trolling me. One of her fans threatened to put me on ED, so I deleted all my shit and started with a new identity.

I'll bump out of curiosity

I'm just a lazy motherfucker.

has anyone posted the link to the famous cartoonists course yet?

floobynooby.com/pdfs/gesturedrawingforanimation.pdf

Good share, thanks.

yep, it says it's for animation but gesture is the lifeblood of all art.

Again, I don't have a link to the famous artists cartoon course. One user around here put it all together in a neat PDF so hopefully he'll show up and share the link. Sadly the only other site it's uploaded on is horribly SJW and even refers to the people who wrote the book very negatively because they were "old white dudes". I figure it would be disrespectful to share that link.

Well, I've been hammering away on my script, getting prepped for layouts (which the thread on >>>/comic/ might have inspired me to keep a simple 9 panel grid as the base through most of it) and refining the character designs. Along with trying to make my drawing style as appealing AND as quick as I can without sacrificing the best quality I can produce. It's gonna take forever, but I'm pretty pumped at the moment.

How many of you are knee deep in a project right now?

Not knee deep, but I am almost done with very rough 1st draft of my comic. I am using approach similar to Marvel Method, where I write outline of the story 1st, and then draw it and write dialogue while doing it or at the end. Then revise it again and again, until it is good enough to move to the next part.

Most important thing I learned so far, is that I need to work on my art style. It is too detailed and time consuming. It also looks far too serious for my story.

the biggest thing keeping me from working on anything is that I don't know what to do. I've become a jack of all trades but master of none and now I really don't know what I feel most passionate about.

Yeah, working on style is a long process. Best of luck with it.

doing the same here. Just past page 100. I didn't even know that was the Marvel method, it just seemed like a good way to achieve consistency.
Not actually writing it down, it's in my head but I story board it out on paper and pencil first.
I know jack about publishing though. I'm not really sure what to do once I finish, do you know how this works? I figured I would just send a copy to a bunch of publishers and see who responds. Do you have an agent?

Okay, since I still want to help people get projects off the ground, what kinda things do you guys want to see more of on >>>/comic/ ?

I might make a general project assistance thread, for people who don't want a full collaborator but might need help with one costume, one story idea, etc. What would really motivate you guys?

Most publishers either don't accept unsolicited submissions under any circumstance or have very particular guidelines on how and what to submit. Either way you're unlikely to get snatched up if you're an unknown with no published work or contacts to vouch for you, so you shouldn't put all your effort into that one basket.

i wanna laugh at this, but, yeah, i could happen to anyone with an idea strange enough

I feel like I have the potential, yet none of the know how. I dont even want to start writing, because I can see how bad it already would be ahead of time. The fear of not producing something of quality can drive me crazy. I dont think that anything I write can be taken in a positive light, so I try not to write at all. Its like a vicious cycle, where i wont practice, so I wont get better. My writing sucks, I blame it on not wanting to practice.

I'd be really embarassed writing some c-tier , mary sue story without knowing better, with someone having to fill me in.

You gotta just write and then throw shit away. Even if you just write a bit and dump it, at least you got some practice. Get a bit further everytime, and maybe one day you'll write something that meets your standards. Every good artist has to both see their flaws, and learn from them.

Anyway, you can post shit as an user all over the internet. If you can deal with people telling you how you fucked up, just toss your practice out there and learn where to focus. The vast majority of critics are useless, but if you find one or two real pointers, it might be worth wading through shit.

Supposing you even have comic pages to show, where do you host it? Just on their art site (deviantart, etc), some free webcomic hosting site (which is full of a billion other turds?) or just make your own webpage (which costs money to host on top of designing all of that)

The first webcomic got a few fans, and by "a few" I mean like 5, a couple of them were just retarded, the rest were my friends. I didn't draw it myself, I relied on other artists, so it fizzled out. It was a pretty dumb comic anyway.

The second webcomic I started because I wanted to make fun of certain hypersensitive people I had run in with around that time, so to force the comic into existence I drew it myself with the most barebones low effort awful Z grade art drawing with a mouse on the 4chan oekaki, people reviled it so much that they reported my threads and got them deleted entirely because they hated the art that much (unwittingly making themselves into the people that the comic had already been making fun of). I'd just make a new thread and continue on. I ended up getting a handful of new fans (like 10) from the oekaki anyway, some of them were pretty decent artists themselves, so I occasionally had them do a page. They seemed to like the comic, but aside from them, most people responded to the comic the same way they would if someone just rolled a grape across a plate in front of them. They simply didn't even know what to make of it. I've seen people post bad webcomics before, they get mocked. I've seen people post good webcomics before, they get "lols" directed at them. My webcomic is the only one I've seen where people had absolutely zero response, after spamming it on Holla Forums and various other places, with the exception of when I was drawing it on /i/ (from what I hear, that instance came from people accusing me of being some other spammer troll who had been previously banned from the board, so maybe it wasn't the comic itself they were reporting me for, I don't really know).

The novel I wrote and self-published earlier this year got maybe 40 sales total, which isn't bad for something that I showed to a few friends, and my awful dumb aversion to promoting myself. People again seem puzzled by the whole thing, aside from those friends who tell me they like it (they're friends though).

For the book I'm almost done with, I expect the same reaction. I haven't changed, after all.

I write something and draft character bios and sketches, then I either play a video game or start building electronics shit, then I forget about the material I made and create a new story that suffers the same fate.

then how would they ever find new talent?
I'm sure if they read something that was really great, they would snatch it up.

Like they really care about having any at all.

See Jack Kirby or Alan Moore for details of how this turns out.

Wanting to be hired by the big two for anything is like getting married and on the second day throwing your wife down the stairs in front of her family and telling her that you want her to divorce you and take everything she can from you.

I wouldn't go to the big two. there are plenty of alternatives.
pics related, this is the kind of shit that gets published. I'm not talking shit on these guys, I actually like Hanselmann, but I'm pretty sure anyone here could make something as good, if not better. I'm not the greatest artist, but I'm better than most of these people. You shouldn't be such a defeatist
inb4 info pic of Hitler's art school submissions vs graduates

Word of mouth and a lot of mingling. The talent search as more or less been delegated to the indie section of the market and the internet. So there's not much to do besides build a body of work and get friendly with other creators.

Lots of good ass shit in this thread.

Considering the creators responsible for them tend to mock their own fanbase and can even be "problematic" and yet they still eat it up, I don't see the issue. And it's not like your comic is the ultimate reasons these autists do what they do, if it's not your work they go retarded over, it'll be whatever other big studio pumps out.

If you're really worried about that, you can do what they do and have some sort of agreement where only fan stuff can only be sold under their license or some shit. It won't stop the cancer much but at least you'll make a few more bucks out of it if you get lucky enough to even get to that point.

It's repeated a lot, but it's true: there's no such thing as originality. And it's not even because someone is actively ripping off or being inspired by something. There's only so many different types of story to tell, what makes them different is how everyone puts their own twist on them. Worry less about trying to "deconstruct" cliches or whatever and just focus on making something that works.

Here's the thing about /cow/ and their type–the greatest defense against them is ignoring them. They get their entertaining by provoking people, namely those who can never really understand the concept of not feeding trolls. If you're mentally sound enough to do that, then you'll be fine regardless of your past. Whoever tries to milk you now will most likely be A-Logging and in turn be milked. The majority of /cow/boys and farmers are autists themselves anyway who can't resist the temptation of milking their fellow autists out of some superiority complex with a few exceptions here and there.

Among other things, I think a part of why this has been happening is that you have people suffering from massive crab mentality. If there's any chance of something getting off the ground, they'll come in and try their best to make sure it'll never happen. There could be a lot of reasons behind this. Maybe they're envy of the talent of other people in the project, or maybe they're looking for anyway to feel like they have control, or what said about egos. Or it could be pic related.

Trust me, user, it's egos that are the main factor of a project dying. That's the common theme with many chan projects is they start going downhill because someone in an important position got too full of themselves or turned into a major asshole. This in turn causes a domino effect. When the first person turns into an asshole then other people will notice it and call them out on it, the people who don't think said person is an asshole will then defend them putting a rift between people on the project. People will start talking behind eachother's backs, alliances will be made in private and all that shit. They eventually forget why they got together in the first place and become focused on seeing that person out of the project thinking they're ruining it.

But what's really killing it is that now everyone starts hating eachother to the point they don't want to work. When you're in a tense work environment (even one for free) then chances are it'll decrease your productivity due to feeling like everything is going to result in a fight.

But your image isn't wrong either. It's like how Luther (Rogues Leader) from the Warriors put it. He shot Cyrus for no reason and when they asked him why he responded, "I just like doing things like that!" some people just wanna see shit happen.

Laziness

I personally always felt this was good motivation.

"If these people can get published, why can't I?"

You still want to put out the best stuff you can, which takes difficult amounts of self-discipline, one of the hardest traits to instill in yourself, sometimes it's painful and makes you want to give up, but if you don't do it to yourself no one else is going to do it for you. That's how I always felt.

It's not just about HOW you draw, most of it is WHAT you draw, and more specifically what you write. Writing is by far the most underrated skill in comics, because any idiot can write, but almost no one writes anything worth reading in comics. Everyone is merely imitating or creating the next big derivative. People are working their balls off to make watered down rehashes. Think about that for a second. Think about the years of strain just to make something that's derivative. I've always felt that the only way to curtail that is to openly desire to make something that's the least derivative as you can. It can't just be something that interests you, it has to be something that you've always wanted to see in comics yourself but that you've always felt no one else has ever done. Most people in comics don't do that, most people in comics just say "I want to make the next [insert popular comics property, Superman, Spiderman, etc]!" Most people don't say "I want to tell a story in which this happens because no one else seems to be trying to tell that kind of story."

Start with the ending of a story first, then figure out where it should start, then figure out how it gets from the beginning to the end. THEN put in the characters, setting, etc.

If you've never truly finished a single story, then try to make a story that's as short as possible. Make one that's 5 or 10 pages, or even 1 page if you can. That way, when you finish it, you will have finished a single story.

I suspect the majority of them are only involved with /cow/ because they're insecure about what losers they are themselves. Every single person that I've known who posted to /cow/ were hypersensitive faggots (not a huge number, it's more like 2 really, but it's still 100% of those 2). They're their own ideal target. That's why they go after others, so that no one notices what spergers they are.

I never believed in "board projects" myself, because I think the best works always come from one or two people, three max. The more people you have working on a single story, the more it will fall apart. At some point, you just have to scale a work back so it becomes the design of one or two people, something they personally feel strongly about bringing about. A "board project" is meant for shit that's not serious, something that's supposed to be fun, but if people keep taking it seriously, there's no way it'll work, because they'll want it to be about what THEY want to make instead of what everyone else wants to make. A group project is only as strong as its weakest link, and the bigger the group, the greater the chance of having some awful dope in there, and as soon as you try to give them the boot, their friends who constitute a portion of the group turns it into a big deal and then nothing gets done. Then whoever has the biggest ego thinks that everyone else should work at their pleasure, etc. I say fuck group projects, just have 2 people team up and try to make something that's not grand in scale. In other words, yes to that stuff you said.

Yes that is so damn true. Alot of projects have a much better chance of surviving or working out if it's being shared between two parties that trust eachother. I'd much sooner start a project with an artist or writer I know personally than do another chan group project.

You wanna know what the person with the biggest ego will do? They will never take responsibilities for their own actions no matter how much they fuck up or act like an asshole, they will never view themselves in the wrong and all their actions are (according to them) for the good of the project and how they'll intend to work. And usually the shitty part is in a project is that this is almost certainly ALWAYS the individual on a project who has a skill that is very crucial to it. They become drunk off their own status because they realize if they leave then the entire thing goes kaput.

Now comic projects I've seen are easier to do amongst people because almost everyone is on equal footing. Writers, artists, inkers, etc all that shit there's at least 50 more on the net you can get if one decides they're leaving. When everyone is on this equal footing there's not really a huge chance for egos to come up unless someone's style becomes the main draw then halfway through they turn into assholes.

All this just draws back to the people you recruit. Most other projects at least when you recruit them there is some way you can look at their past work and get a feel for how they are. Chan projects though? Every time you take someone in you're taking a massive fucking gamble if this person will be okay or the asshole who ruins shit.

Long story short, I agree with you. Do a small project first, do it with people that you trust. If you ever do a chan project then recognize there will truckloads of bullshit to come along with it.