Linux

What kind of linux should I install?
I found an old laptop which I want to put linux on.
I think ArchLinux looks neat, but I don't know too much about linux…

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Then Gentoo is your answer.

Linux Mint is good for beginners

Go mint, and go light

Either Ubuntu or Mint. You should only try out Arch once you're pretty familiar with Linux. If you don't know what you're doing it's just going to be a frustrating waste of time.

Looking for a new OS? It's always a good time to switch or upgrade to Windows 10™! It has all the features you know and love on Linux, only 10x better! :^)

OP here, just installed linux mint
Thanks for all advice, even the gentoo meme :^)

Mint is great, I use it on my laptop and virtual machines. Arch on my main PC.

Checked
LinuxWeed

Nice dubs

It's not linux, it's GNU/linux

not arch

not much "look" in arch. the default system has only the console

github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

Conan! What is best Linux?

This is bullshit. Media and reddit are just butthurt that the maintainer of Mint hates kikes so they have been trashing mint for months. Their website got hacked, and they fixed it quickly but that doesn't say anything about the distro itself.

The shit in that garbage reddit pasta image has been debunked. The only things they are right about is the xedit thing, but that is literally the only package where that is true. And also the copyright shit, but who gives a fuck about that besides good goy redditors? The update manager has been revamped in Linux Mint 18 and asks you about how you want your updates delivered.

none.

plebian
the linux for lesbians

GAHNOOOOOOO SLASH LINUX

Mint

I wanted to start with Arch too, so damn badly. But it is damn near impossible unless you are acquainted with Loonux.

How are you liking it? If you want to dull boot or just want to install something else you should try Mankato. It's really easy and is built on top of Arch so you can get to know that distro if you want to go back to it later (since you said you were interested in it).

Nice meme

distrowatch.com

Are there any non-Kike linux distributions. I don't want Jew on my hard drives.

ubuntu go

Hehe hehe

Well memed my friend. Why would anyone use anything other then windows?

Slackware

do it faglord

Used Ubuntu for years.
And if you miss windows you can run their programs on wine.

I use Linux because I don't wish to pay For free internet.
Besides it is so much faster.
And no bugs or viruses

Show me the way brother

Caldera is where it's at mang

Daily reminder Richard Stallman has never installed GNU/Linux in his life and Linus Torvalds can't even install Debian

This

Linux is for faggots

Worth it

Antergos

wew

I personally started with Arch because it looked cool and was minimal. Now I run Gentoo because it's more flexible. OP you should not listen to the faggots saying that Arch is bad to start with. Installing and using it will give you good fundamental knowledge about how different parts of OS interact with each other. Most GNU/Linux distributions aren't that different from each other anyway.

my adovice is search ur laptop's specs.
if its a 2012esque+ laptop look up or find out if it uses UEFI bios.

look up "how to install Arch 2016 (insert UEFI if you are on uefi)" on google

important thing is look for ones that make use of Grub bootloader.

ez you just installed arch. if you cant get an internet connection while installing just execute "dhcpcd" since some routers or NICs are lazy

bump to show my post (fys codegorilla)
i preferred arch because i get bleeding edge version of software builds and also get the latest linux features. if you want to learn linux + gnu command line arch is the way to go next to gentoo (too bad my machine is slow so gentoo's build from source code would take alot of my time)

i think codegorilla's new caching system sucks and posts are delayed by 1. anyway you might want to start first with ubuntu just in case you dont know about unix file systems

Arch is best distro but not for someone who isn't familiar with linux, unless you have a lot of time on your hands / willing to learn.

Ubuntu or a variant like Kubuntu (KDE) or Mint

qubes u queer

you should get the offical version of windows because it is more secrue

Use Manjaro, it's basically Arch made easy. If you can install Windows or Ubuntu or Mint then you can install Manjaro.

ubuntu vivid marmot

Kali linux of course

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Kel, nice

I installed arch as my first Linux distro. If you have enough time it's really not that hard since the Arch wiki has a beginner's guide.