Fairphone modular phone

fairphone.com/

Why are you still not using upgradeable phones, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.fairphone.com/spareparts.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can change the CPU on ARA.

Every time.
Anyway, this doesn't look that bad, but it's pretty expensive, and where are the modules? What about third-party ones?

sadly you're wrong, normies don't care about changing the core parts so now they're fixed.

shop.fairphone.com/spareparts.html

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FUCKING NORMIES

can't be helped to be honest

Oh look, another vaporware lego block product. And of course it's a product, rather than a standard of some kind. It's not like it would kill anybody for the laptop or cellphone industry to actually use interchangeable parts for laptops, handhelds, and their ilk. Heck, they're ALREADY standardized in a manner that makes production cheaper by keeping sizes and components standardized, but allows manufacturers to "tweak" them in such a way that they're just barely not directly compatible, through standards like Intel's Common Building Block (CBB) laptop standard.

It's not even rocket science, even in the mid-2000s, most laptops allowed you to swap out the batteries, RAM, HDD, ODD, interfaces, CPU, and cache. It wouldn't make things any bulkier to make the case/lid, mobo, display panel, PSU, keyboard, and trackpad as user-servicable parts.

I've long held to a conspiracy theory that the reason the computer industry has been shilling laptops and cellphones so hard since they became barely practical for most users in the '90s, while constantly bitching about how "dead" and "obsolete" desktops (especially towers) are, is because their fully interchangeable components have slashed the profit margins for desktops razor thin (end-user upgradability isn't really a factor, since I vaguely recall that even among corporate PCs maintained by IT departments or contracts, something like >90% of desktops are never upgraded except RAM or HDDs, not even monitors are reused).

When will it be? When will somebody like VIA, AOpen, Shuttle, Zorac, Abit, or MSI just write a standard for hierarchies of form factors? Make it downward compatible by size just like desktop form factors, that allow you to swap out everything within the size limit, without violating your warranty, from any manufacturer? Sure, it wouldn't be wafer-thin and glued/soldered shut into a brick like a MacBook Air or whatever, but it would be perfectly functional, and probably about 1/4th the price at most.

Thanks Holla Forums, you make things easy to remember.

And

That's the real issue. It doesn't matter whether I can swap parts if there are no parts to buy. What when Fairphone goes out of business? Is there any other company manufacturing compatible parts?

Just buy a fucking computer niggeer.

I never understood people trying to be a militant FOSH supporters.

Why do we need all these T40s, botnet free smartphones and cpus, if you can just buy a piece of junk and throw it away after (careful) use.

Sadly, you FOSS and FOSH savages are the veggies of the tech community.

Because if we let hardware become completely locked down and proprietary, monopolies will feel free to remove features, increase prices, and lock older hardware out of being able to interact with modern software.

The more open, compliant, and flexible hardware is, the weaker the forces of control will be over it.

This is a multi-front war we're fighting.

It's like you enjoy capitalism or something

Please don't talk about things you don't understand. I don't see how giving up some of my (computer) freedom will improve my nation as a whole.

WHAT FUCKING ASSHOLES!

ALWAYS THE PLAY TESTERS. who the fuck are these people!? EA does it the worst.

FUCK!!!!!!! who are these son of a bitch playtesters that ruin everything! WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!

not

sell me a non-nsa-bugged spyware botnet phone at a fair price!

just do it already!

someone!?

what are you a shill?

If you can only change out the camera and battery whats the fucking point of a "modular" smart phone. That's like calling a VHS modular because you can change the videotape. At this point they should have just dropped project ara altogether instead of giving us this abortion.

The argument is that if less than 90% of people care about something, then why invest effort in engineering and maintaining it? And now you know why everything around you is going to shit. Companies try to go for the lowest common denominator. But if normies don't care right now that their phone cannot be repaired, I'm sure they will care when it eventually breaks, but by then it's too late.

I feel like I live in a society where everyone is short-sighted and so they cannot fathom the idea of looking more than a few steps ahead. Someone with normal sight who sees a pack of wolves approaching would sound like a blabbering madman to then until the wolves are at their throat.

I feel it bros. I feel the world dying slowly. it is as if we are all on a sinking ship, but it is very long and it grows almost as fast as it is sinking so it is difficult to be able to tell but we are surely doomed.

I can't believe someone doesn't just email them this whole thread or at least some of the comments. I can't believe mainstream media watching government ass kissing sheep who even bother to vote in the corrupt system are actually willing to pay for what is now simply just a 500 euro completely normal cell phone that IS nothing special and DOES nothing special.

I can't believe that there is a group of people/ a compay / a corporation (what ever they are) that is actually going to manufacture and produce this junk that isn't worthy of being called a product, a good, or a service and waste the limited resources of this planet, the only place the human species can currently survive in the forseeable next hundred years to sell this SHIT for 500 EUROS to TOTAL FUCKING IMBICILES.

I just want a phone that the nsa or other bad people can't take advantage of and violate my privacy with. I want to be able to modify my phone just like a tower PC and run linux on it or something and have freedom and privacy for the price of a normal fucking cell phone.

this world... fuck this world.

I feel like this is some sort of big /h/ joke

GO
TO
Holla Forums

things are looking up more than you know

Quit posting this in every other thread in an attempt to derail, you sack of shit.

Remember when all you faggots were saying that this was impossible?

Topkek