What is the point of static IPs?

What is the point of static IPs?

Do the benefits outweigh the negative of hotpockets being able to shoah you more effectively?

Other urls found in this thread:

meetings.ripe.net/ripe-53/presentations/dhcpv6.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They don't change. You need that for servers.

yes I know but what is the point of them for the average Internet user, there is only drawbacks imo.

ipv6 is meant to be static for everyone iirc.

There's no point in using one if you don't have servers.
IPv6 isn't any more static than IPv4. Static just means the address is statically assigned, as opposed to dynamically assigned with DHCP (IPv6 has its own version of DHCP and also autoconfiguration)

It's easier to track people.

DHCPv6

meetings.ripe.net/ripe-53/presentations/dhcpv6.pdf

Slightly faster network startup time.
No need for dhcp-client if you work on a very limited hardware.
Somewhat security-through-obscurity, since uninvited connections don't get full network config on a platter.

Oh wait, we aren't talking about local IP's, are we?

You have no clue what you're talking about. Fucking normie scum.

Yes, but there is no point in have static IPv6 addresses, because the ridiculous number of possibilities means we could each have billions of addresses and still never run out

But having a fixed address is still pretty much a requirement for servers.

MY ISP STILL DOES NOT SUPPORT IPV6
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I know that feel.

Oh shit this is why I shouldn't post while tired. I meant there's no point in dynamic IPs

Not really.
DNS alleviates all of the issues with dynamic IPs.

And then you need dynamic DNS and there's a delay while the new records propagate.
Servers still need static addressing.

What do you want to do with ipv6? I've honestly never needed to use it. Had some ip gear that offered ipv6 web config tried it out for fun... pain in the ass to even connect to it. Methinks ipv6 is just a meme, we can keep the same 3,706,452,992 public ipv4 addresses. They was all bitching about running out but hasent happened yet. Just make all of India and china run behind nat while I put a public address on my fridge and sprinkler system and projector and everything else because I'm too lazy to do port forwarding.

If you really need your ipvmeme just use en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers

48 hr propagation time... Yes you can use a botnet middleman service to make it easyer for the NSA to siphon all your traffic at the same time adding 1000ms to the initial connection time or you can you know not be a pleb and just use a globally routable static address like everyone else.

Just use 6to4 or teredo/miredo fam

The real matter is whether you are behind NAT or have a dedicated address, static or temporary.

:^)

I used to have a dynamic IP then it became static
It was fun when I could just ban evade on 4chan, but now I'm permabanned on a static IP with no more appeals, so I have to dig through proxies and hope for the best