Qwant Search Engine

What is the consensus on the search engine Qwant? Supposedly, it's a startup by a French company, who is trying to compete with Jewgle. It claims, like DuckDuckGo and IXquick, not to track you at all. It's very fast, and seems to work very well, but the UI is kind of shitty, and it seems to have some cancer (shopping, beta, boards). I'm just wondering if anyone on Holla Forums uses it, or if there have been any threads for it. Is it safe, is it secure, and does it really protect your privacy?

It's the default search for Iridium. Yes, I know Iridium is still kind of cancer, but I am forced to use an *ium browser for work, and I'm not using Jewgle Chrome.

Article:
>>bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/qwant-wants-to-be-alternative-to-google/

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.qwant.com/board/ABonnamy/vie-privee-et-libert
searx.me/?q=!wp richard stallman
archive.today/H2tsP
blog.chromium.org/2012/01/all-about-safe-browsing.html)
archive.today/5Hcbk
support.google.com/chrome/answer/95656)
archive.today/AVQ7N
support.google.com/websearch/answer/106230)
archive.today/ffoyi
support.google.com/chrome/answer/185277)
archive.today/7OhFO
support.google.com/chrome/answer/1385029)
archive.today/RFCHe
foliovision.com/2008/12/adwords-ppc-organic-rlz)
archive.is/4VijY
theregister.co.uk/2015/06/17/debian_chromium_hubbub/)
archive.is/2C86X
theregister.co.uk/2015/06/26/googles_not_listening_binary_blob_banished_from_chromium_build/)
archive.is/hcpdY
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=792580)
8ch.net/tech/res/589254.html)
3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/lite/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Personally I'm really digging the way it looks and works.

Frankly I'm in support of any competitor to google, I'll add this to my alt search engines until/unless someone finds evidence that they may not respect your privacy.

That's how I feel, but of course, I'm a little suspicious.

They claim to not add any type of tracking:

We do our best to respect the privacy of our online visitors while ensuring a secure environment and relevant results.Here are our commitments for the user’s data protection: If you wish to register or log on your Qwant account, or to send us a request via our contact form, we may ask you to disclose personal data. Thus, you are entitled to protection under the European data protection regulation. This Privacy Policy aims to present our ethical positioning with regard to the collection and processing of data: we guarantee not to sell or disclose the user’s data in any way, especially for commercial purposes.

Why not just use Duck Duck Go?

I could, but the FAQs have pointed out several issues with it:

I've just taken a peak at it, and I'm not very satisfied with what I see even on surface level.

The site seems to be following the modern trend of not being able to run even 1% of itself without javascript being enabled. This is a huge turn off for a variety of different reasons, ranging from function to security.

On top of that, the layout and visual function is pretty shitty.

Oh no, Weinberg? Even duck duck go is run by Jews?

Well there's lite.qwant.com

The javascript stuff is a concern, but I care more about privacy. DuckDuckGo is still up for debate, and startpage is too slow.

_  /✡ヽ  ノ~(  | z彳 ノ  / (  (  \_  |Duck \       /,,\    / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄   |Duck ヾツ     /<●>\ <  You goyim fall for this shit every time.  ヽ Go  ノ   (_____)   \___________________   \ _\ ノ     ( ✡ )     _)( _)(     | | |       ⌒⌒ ⌒⌒    (_)_)

The boards are weird, it's like a strange combination of social media, stumbleupon, and reddit.

Found these from it.

kek.

Found a Fench anti-Google board

>>boards.qwant.com/board/ABonnamy/vie-privee-et-libert

Too bad almost none of the content in the boards is in english, I can't make sense of anything.

I used Qwant as my go-to for a while before switching to Searx. I'm just happy they're supposedly not just another metasearch. Do try Qwant Lite if you decide to use it.

I will try it. I don't really like Searx, but I've been using Qwant lite. They claim that they have their own webcrawler.

at least it's better than DDG

niggah wut? I use startpage ixquick all the time and speed is never a concern. Unless you're using their proxy I guess. But that's retarded.

Whenever I search on ixquick it takes at least a few seconds before the page actually processes my query, and then a few seconds before I get any results

ixquick image search is too bloated for a web browser tbh.

Mine takes no longer than it takes to load the page, which is no more or less slow than any other search engine I've used.

Although I agree with that the image search sucks ass and is bloated.

MUAHHHH...THE...FRENCH...search engine...has always been celebrated for its excellence...

I've been using google for so long, shamefully.
I'll give it a shot, the results on SP, that sonic autist's searwhatever and DDG are all pretty bad.

I see people suggesting DuckDuckGo or StartPage, but never see searx. It has the best results I've ever seen, even better than Google because it gets its results from multiple sources while still maintaining your privacy, also it's open-source and very customisable.

I still prefer StartPage. Metasearch or not, I like the results I get.
Ixquick is fine too.

the only real reason I stick with ddg is because of the bangs, they're so useful (ie, just putting "foo !w" into the address bar takes you directly to the wikipedia page) -- does searx have anything like this?

I've never tried but when talking French search engines I've had good luck with Exalead in the past when looking for hard to find things. Especially when such things are drowned out in keyword spam due to recent trending events.

It's.. not a good everyday search engine, and not privacy focused, but I've had exceptional results when doing specific kinds of extreme digging.

Then why not use Google?

are you using google or your ISP dns servers?

because it's google?

Well meme'd sir.

Any Google alternatives that allow me to select a timeframe for the search?

Does Qwant do this?

Which Searx do you use?

do not qwant

kek'd

startpage, but that uses google and delivers their results to you through them.

It has sub-par search capabilities. (however sometimes it does find something better, rarely)

Please respond.

It's not just "a Jew", like Stallman could be; he is a guy who made a social network for datamining and when he got bored of it, he sold the data of his customers to a third party. For all we know he could just make a 180 and start selling your DuckDuckGo profile.

Really, just use Searx and configure it to your liking. You can even use it as a DDG proxy.

Not him, but I use Searx.me

clearnetters pls go

I've been getting an SSL error from searx.me. Is it just me?

I can access it just fine. Check out your computer's date or something.

That said, some ISP do some fucky things to searx.me. I remember I was unable to access searx.me from my phone because I got a 403 Forbidden (even if I chose to identify as a desktop browser), even though I was accessing it just fine with my desktop. Try to use Tor or something.

It does, actually, but they don't redirect to the other site.
searx.me/?q=!wp richard stallman
I'm thinking about forking searx to support DuckDuckGo-like bangs. Right now it just lets you specify different metasearch preferences for a single search.

do it faggot

Just contribute instead of forking

ISHYGDDT

The lite version works fantastically with lynx

What's wrong with base Chromium?

It still phones home to Google,[9] and for some time, snuck in a binary blob for voice recognition whenever you started it up.[7] This has been removed by the project maintainers,[8] but it should raise some concern over what else could be lurking in the code.

However, if you absolutely must use a Chrom* based browser, Iridium would be the best choice, as it is a FLOSS fork of Chromium stripped of as many botnet features as possible.

[1] >>archive.today/H2tsP (blog.chromium.org/2012/01/all-about-safe-browsing.html)
[2] >>archive.today/5Hcbk (support.google.com/chrome/answer/95656)
[3] >>archive.today/AVQ7N (support.google.com/websearch/answer/106230)
[4] >>archive.today/ffoyi (support.google.com/chrome/answer/185277)
[5] >>archive.today/7OhFO (support.google.com/chrome/answer/1385029)
[6] >>archive.today/RFCHe (foliovision.com/2008/12/adwords-ppc-organic-rlz)
[7] >>archive.is/4VijY (theregister.co.uk/2015/06/17/debian_chromium_hubbub/)
[8] >>archive.is/2C86X (theregister.co.uk/2015/06/26/googles_not_listening_binary_blob_banished_from_chromium_build/)
[9] >>archive.is/hcpdY (bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=792580)

Got this from the FAQ page (>>8ch.net/tech/res/589254.html)

Is a simple textbox and a list of results really that hard to design for?

Qwant Lite is better if you like barebones. See

Qwant looks good.

Should I just made Qwant lite my predetermined searcher/starpage? Or should I install the Firefox plugin? Should I create an account? Im not sure if puting my bookmarks there is safer...

(checked)
oy vey

what's wrong with Iridium?

Also I just started using qwant today and also came here to ask Holla Forums's opinion on it. It seems pretty nice so far, no significant complaints when will we get a search engine that lets you customize parameters in the image search as well as Bing's that isn't fucking Bing

3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/lite/

The only option.

Searx.me is the best of the few I've tried but it's basically just a meta search. Also, the software is open sauce but since search engines are by definition server-side there isn't really anything stopping them from altering it

sure, but if this is a point of contention for you then you won't be using search engines at all, really.

For daily use I find Startpage works well since Google's results are generally pretty good. I started using Searx.me recently and I'm really digging the results so far.