Amazon Job

Holla Forums I need some advice.

I have a full time job working at a small delivery restaurant for $12 an hour. It's an easy job and it's about a 30 min drive from my house.

However, I got accepted for a 20 hour a week at Amazon that's $14.50 an hour. I tried to get a night shift but none are available. They said I could be taken off my current planned shift, but there's no telling how long it'll take until a suitable position opens up. I know it's only part time, but it can move to full time, plus there's more opportunities to grow. Although I heard Amazon warehouse jobs are terrible.

So I'm worried about starting a part time job that might be too hard and isn't much of a sure thing, but there's an opportunity for growth and it's $14.50. OR stick with my $12 an hour job with not much growth.

What do Holla Forums?

Will give updates since I have to figure this out by 10am tomorrow.

Forgot to mention Amazon is 13 minutes from my house.

flip a coin

I just did and it was the restaurant, but in that brief moment I wanted to try Amazon more.

Stick to what you have right now, I don't think switching is worth the risk

Job security at amazon is almost non-existant. Their target recruitment pool are low-income workers at walmarts/grocery stores and other warehouse opperations/big box stores. Amazon offers the competitive rate because they engage in these massive recruitment operations every time they open up a new warehouse/distribution center and they need plebs to help with operations. Amazon has massive investments and interest in large-scale automation and the ultimate goal would be to replace you with a robot that works for free.
The increase in wages will feel nice and amazon looks better on a resume than "X food delivery" or whatever you have right now. Just keep in mind to always be looking for something better and never forget that even though amazon feeds you and pays your bills, they are your enemy.
Good luck user

Fuck, I just don't want to be a Minimum wage slave forever. There is a lot of risk and maybe you're right.

I heard this before and it seems to be good advice.

really? you're someone's property and have to work for them for free?

Source: Outside Company Security Guard at Amazon Warehouse (IE, me)

Amazon seems to have a core group of people for each shift (Doughnut, Second, Graveyard) and then over hires for special events (Prime day, the glorious American orgy that is Christmas) then slowly lets those people go over time. My advice to you if you get hired for one of those special events, most likely you're part of the Christmas group. Is to work your ass off, be better than anyone else in the group. They'll be more likely to give you a spot in the core group and then you can dick off.

wageslave = living paycheck to paycheck at least in my mind with no path to better pay.

So starting tomorrow where there's no specific holiday around for months probably means I have a good chance of staying on? if I work hard?

but you do have a path to better pay. that's the whole point of this thread

So what would you do in my situation?

Basically, once prime day ends. (Which was in the middle of July if I remember correctly.) They start hiring for Christmas. If you aren't a complete spastic druggy retard who can stand doing the same task over and over for 8 hrs. You'll do better than most of the temps they bring in at Christmas.

Things to remember:
1.) Don't call off unless you're basically dead. If you have a cold or the shits, go in. You get free cough drops/ Pepto there.
2.) Get your PIT certification ASAP. They're less likely to let a forklift driver go then a library drone.
3.) Make friends with anyone you can. Amazon guys who have been there a while are cool as fuck, you get a mixed bag with the seasonals. One time we had to throw a guy out for staring at a girl….followed by whipping it out in the middle of the lunch room and went to town.

take the better job

I think I might take the Amazon job then. Guess I gotta call the other place and tell em I'm quitting.

don't tell the boss to go eat a bag of dicks though, just in case you need to go back at some point

This.

I won't, she's nice. This is probably one of the bigger dilemmas since she kind of wanted me to be her apprentice.

apprentice at a restaurant dont make me laugh cooking is so fucking easy a housewife can do it

Say something like. If Amazon doesn't work out, I'd love to come back. Leave the door open, that way if they do shit can you, you can come back and climb up.

Amazon warehouse jobs are like sweatshops. Stay at the restaurant if you need that paycheck; if need be, go back to/continue going to school for (a) degree(s).

potato

UPDATE

So I took the Amazon job… and it's the easiest job I've ever had. All the boxes are light. I'm never stressed.

Thanks for the help Holla Forums