probably wouldn't be 1 if you were in a casual convo, so it depends

what the heck is 6 / 2(3)

6 / 2 * (3)

PEMDAS AND THEN LEFT TO RIGHT

All Americans

1+2 = 3
6/2 = 3
3*3 = 9

How the fuck do you guys end up getting 9 out of this?

it needs to multiply before divide to get the right answer, 1.
1+2=3
2(3) or 2*3=6
6/6=1
It has to stick to the right order of operations
Pemdas: parenthesis exponents multiply divide add subtract

1+2 = 3

6/2 = 3

3*3 = 9

/this

The answer is prime.

daaaaaamn people, multiplication does not come before division, that depends on the sequence that they were put in the formula, if multiplication comes first then you do multiplication first, if division comes first then you fucking do division first

6/2 = 3
3*(1+2)= (3+6)= 9

You should be ashamed of yourself, such easy tasks don't need to be explained.

uncle harder nigger

goon

cancer

I know you euros are inbred a couple generations more than us americans, but you'd have to be chimp level not to understand the basics of pemdas, we learn this at age 8 over here.

You are a nigger for thinking you are smart because you solved it.

Are you insinuating something, m8?

under pemdas multiplication and division share the same level of order of operations and go under the other roll of left to right you tool

I'll try it step by step
6/2(1+2)
6/2+4
4+4
Am I dumb? :DDDDDD

PEMDAS
2 times 3
6 divided by 6

:^)
for real this time
6/2(1+2)
6/2*3
3*3

wut?

see

thats not how pemdas works
purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

Totally shattered my world. Fuck you elementary school.

tfw why dont people write it PE(MD)(AS)

easy basic math that most people here dont get, and yes, its 9

yes, i know the answer is 9, i was just pointing his mistake

The fuck is PEMDAS?
FFrogfag here

FFrog?

It's 9 you fucking morons

that took me like 10 seconds

omg ded xdddd

this shit humor belongs to halfchan kids posts

What if I told you that it can be written as PEDMSA and still be the same as PEMDAS?

It is 1 isn't it?
This thread has confused me.

both are correct, period.

U stink >:^(

No friend.

Yes, furendo.

spicy retard b8 you have there op

Not american but i'm dumb

???

New meem.

wrong, 10 seconds.

I don't get it

ur mum did last night

TISM.

Nope, Chuck Testa!

I was always taught BEDMAS.

It's the same

B for brackets?

You can divide before you multiply or add befoe you subtract as long as it's to the left
So it's more like
P
E
MD
AS

Is that because we we're actually taught that multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction are done in left-right order despite their order of appearance in PEMDAS?

Common Core math is for children in grade school. The answer is 1.

I'm a computer engineer. Computers don't understand order of operations. You are supposed to input the problem one step at a time in order for the computer to obtain the proper result. It's not a computer error if you get 9, it's human error. You should input the problem as

1 + 2 = 3

then use the result in the final problem

6 / (2 * 3) = 1

boom

To elaborate on why common core math is useless, say you needed the result of this problem for the creating of a professional application. In this case, and therefore, in all cases, there is only one real answer.

If you tried to use 9, you wouldn't have the right values for the rest of your command and shit'd be fucked up

The 2 doesn't go into the parentheses like that unless you're distributing, and even if you were it would be 6/(2*4)

I meant 6/(2+4)

What is your point? Are you agreeing with me? Or are you a computer illiterate? They don't.

Some programs are able to decipher order of operations in small cases such as this (not calculators though, for whatever reason) but for the most part it's safe to assume that they won't and work out the problem yourself to avoid errors.

Maybe if you were working out the problem yourself, but how I wrote it is how you would tell the problem to the computer. The in both the first and second problem would actually be a variable, otherwise you are doing all the work yourself, which you couldn't really do if the other numbers are also variables as they likely would be.

*the 3 in both the first and second

I am an American and I think it = 1

what the fuck is this bitch high, no that was never correct

3rd image, left size is not correct notation, that'd be 20 / ( 5 * (2*2)), there's no magic extendy division sign, it's just a single operation just like multiplication.

No one is going to believe you if you get such a simple problem wrong.

holy shit this thread

Since everyone in this thread is wrong I'm here to talk to y'all about religion and the fact that you don't need elementary school math to become a priest.

amen, brother

i replied to a namefag
worst day of my life
time to kill myself

Do it in the name of Jesus

OP is american proven

PEMDAS
Parentheses
Exponent
Multiply
Divide
Add
Subtract

1+2=3
6/2=3x3=9

The answer is 9

Copypasta bait thread.

TFW you fell for it.

Well it equals one according the Order of Operations (OOO) I was taught in elementary and in uni.

Sorry Europeans can't do math

fuck off Holla Forums shill

always worth to consider these three as ÷ isn't the same as /
anyway i'm sticking to 9. not because it's right or wrong but because that's how a computer would solve it. since humanity is too retarded to use their own fucking invention properly, and is even ready to accept two different answers as correct, i'd rather listen to a machine that will always give me the same answer

>>>/freech/

stop shilling your homeboard

stop being an idiot
i can write a program that will solve it the way i want to
computers are made by humans

wew

meant to

6:-2 = 4 then (1+2) is -1 so 4x-1 =3x

you're doing it wrong
its not parentheses then exponents then multiplication then division then addition then subtraction
its parentheses then exponents then multiplication or division whichever comes first then subtraction and addition whichever comes first
in other words if this was your answer there would have to be additional brackets encompassing all after the division sign but its more like a 6/2 fraction times (1+2)

so? its just the way a human decided how c solves this equation

yes. using LOGIC which computer blindly follows and will do so to the end of time
meanwhile your human began to accept both 1 and 9 as correct and next answer will be potato

potato is never correct, but both 1 and 9 is correct depending on the operator associativity (left or right).. if you don't define the operator associativity both answers are correct

for now

in math even 1+1=0 can be correct depending on the conditions (in this case a ring). If you don't see that both 9 and 1 can be correct then you are the potato.

i can make "potato" the correct answer but you know why i won't? because this is completely retarded. same for this new way of solving things that completely ignores logic that was defined centuries ago to avoid retardation

not gonna waste any more time on your stupidity, faggot

i hope you'll burn in hell along with your caveman logic that tries to make people as dumb as possible

fucking morons trying to redefine something that works, holy shit…

Okay, I'm NEET AF and do nothing all day but browse the chan, watch Netflix and Youtube, and fap. I got decent grades in math, but that was years ago. Let's see what I can do.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributive_property

you meant:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associative_property

kewl

actualy is:

This picture nails it. Learn the difference.

are you retarded?
6/2*(1+2)
Distributive property
6/(2*3)
6/6 = 1

Now fuck off Euroduck, go lick some Islamic anus while you get blown up for being such a spineless duck.

duck

did you even fucking read your own link?

okay shitheads, solve these two

wut?
murricans are saying 1 (because of peMDas)

O. 25

Wrong

no

If the person writing it fucks up an makes it ambiguous, you should try to guess what they meant, not apply some rolls which aren't even universally agreed upon.

In the op image, 6 and 2(1+2) are clearly visually separated into two groups by spaces, hinting the intended order of operations, so it's safe to assume that 1 is the intended correct answer, or that the author is complete and utter moron.

ftfy

1 AND 9

except they're not because nothing implies that. spaces don't make it any more or less grouped

R.I.P. civilisation

This question barely has anything to do with math.
It's literally about notation and ambiguity, which is something I don't think mathematicians argue about.

Sorry, you have to atleast have a high school education to answer this question

actually wolfram converted 6/2 to a fraction which should be treated differently

Everyone here is fucking stupid. The order of operations is crystal clear here. There is no multiplication symbol between 2 and the brackets meaning that 2 is a coefficient and that 2 was factored out of say (2 + 4) making 2(1+2) a expression that should be resolved before being divided into 6. If it was 6 / 2 * (1+2) then it would be a different story.

Im absolutely terrible at math but this really isnt that hard

but you know that that * was skipped but is still there, right?

thats it

I know that but like is said 2(1+2) implies that the 2 was factored out of an original (2+4). Its like if you had 6 / 5(x+4). You wouldn't divide 6 and 5 and then multiply that into x + 4 because you can see that it was originally 6 / (5x + 20) right?

If I were to solve 6*2(1+2), going from that to 12(1+2) would go against the order of operations. The B also means coefficients that multiply into brackets.

not really

You would be doing M before B

It's fucking 1, innit? I haven't done math in at least 4 years.

that picture is wrong

say where or admit your faggotry

and I'm a burger :^)

It's fucking 1 you stupid amerikikes

9, Basic Algebra, I am American, 6 Divided by two X 2+1 = 3X3=9

Man I've beeen sitting here thinking it's 9 for a while, but it's 1.
6 / 2(1+2) Right? The one guy saying distributive had it right. Just distribute the 2, and get 6 / (2+4). Nice and easy.

well I know that X != 1/X^3.
Is 5 equal to 1/125?
I think you're the faggot here.

so you're illiterate and try to bee a smartass. that makes you a double massive faggot

What is that shitty picture supposed to bee ironic?

lol op knows his shit

look at these burgers saying 9 and 6

fucking animals

Whether its supposed to bee wrong or not its still wrong.

no, the logic used there is perfectly fine

Try substituting 5 for X in all of the equations and you'll see the logic is not fine.

Care to explain? Am i missing something?

it depends if you do the multiplication or the division first
so whether you learned pemdas or beedmas or whatever shit variation your math teacher taught you
the correct way in a confusing situation like this is from left to right, excluding the bracketed part obviously which comes first

are you actually illiterate? which part of the top line you didn't get?

Apparently so you're going to have to spell it out for me.

so you didn't get it and yet you're calling it wrong
great job!

ok bud

I do get it. But you keep saying I'm wrong so I must bee missing something. Please explain it to me if you're so sure you're right.

you're the faggot who keeps saying i'm wrong

i'm still waiting for

The line where it says x = … = … = 1/x^3. That is incorrect. X is not equal to 1 over X cubeed. Whether the picture is supposed to bee wrong or not is a mystery to me. I've already said this.

tell your guardian that you shouldn't use internet

Confirmed it where? I asked if it was supposed to bee wrong and you said the pictures logic was fine. This is some intense baiting you're doing here.

no you fucking retard, the logic used in the picture is perfectly fine, it has nothing to do with it beeing sarcastic
if the first part is true then, using the very same logic, i make x = 1/x^3 true
fucking kill yourself pronto

Then that still doesn't make sense.
You're equating an interpretation with algebraic process.
Did you make that picture? Its very unclear.

i hope you don't breed

make a beetter one next time

i said something about your guardian. can't you do a simple task?

Go back to your country bud. You clearly don't know english or math.

holy shit, how do you even breathe?

You should learn how to explain yourself beetter without resorting to memes, reaction pics, and beeing inflammatory. Then people might like you beetter.

you should learn to read one single sentence properly but you prefer to bee a patrician retard instead

IDIOCRACY

come back with replies when you examine this picture very carefully

aka never

Its wrong dude. Its wrong on a fundamental level as well as a algebraic one. Why don't you take it to >>>/math/ and I'm sure they'll think you're just as stupid as I do.

no reading, no (you)

instead of taking it to /math/, print it, go outside and explain why you think it's wrong like you did to me so someone can shoot you and end your pathetic life

If any of you are in college, please a professor into this thread ASAP so we can get this thread beehind us

no u

Bro, it's BIDMAS:
Brackets
Indices
Devide
Multiply
Add
Subtract

1 isn't a prime numbeer you fucking nigger!

As a bribing, the American education system sucks, I knew BIDMAS (the proper way to do it) since primary/elementary school age

fucking yuropoors

It's the Americans incorrect version of BIDMAS, dumb niggers

Britbong you dumb nigger, all Americans are just dumb niggers

At least the niggers here aren't blowing themselves up m80

Math grad student here, multiplication and division have equal precedence so when in doubt you go left to right, the answer is 9.

It's ambiguous as fuck which is why many people like the idea of reverse polish notation.

The people arguing otherwise are saying the same thing as 10 - 3 +2 = 5. Addition and multiplication have equal priority so the correct answer is 9 again for this example.

It's not beedmas it's BIDMAS
No it's not

Yes

We haven't had an actual explosion here in ages, thank you for proving my point that all Americans are dumb niggers

If one sum can equal any value then there's never a right answer for anything, do you realise how stupid you are, just kill yourself

Are you able to breath or do you need help with that beecause you're so fucking retarded?

Britbong*

math is fucking pointless

How about you learn about the order of operations the same way you code, by googling it? The answer is 9 and you forgot a semicolon.

You evaluate the expression inside the parenthesis, then move from left to right as division and multiplication have the same priority. Protip: beefore getting booty blasted do some research so you don't dig yourself further into the retard hole.

The order of operations is BIDMAS:
Brackets
Indices
Devide
Multiplication
Adding
Subtracting
Ask anyone who has two brain cells to rub together and isn't an inbred redneck cousin fucking amerikike what the order of operations is and they'll say BIDMAS, fucking dumb nigger!

beeDMAS

That's a mnemonic for children that is inaccurate. Honestly I think they should stop teaching that and PEDMAS, all the same shit. Addition and subtraction have the same priority so when they compete you go left to right, same goes for multiplication and division.

For instance, this is why 10-3+2=9, and is not equal to 5. Similarly, 10*2/5=4, and 20/4*5=25. All the confusion in this thread is simply due to poor math education, pretty sad. It's my job to teach adult this stuff anyway so I don't mind.

I'm a fucking high school drop out and I can do this shit.

Can you do it in 10 seconds though?

There has to bee an order and atleast my argument is coherent with my evidence which is that adding takes priority therefore 10-3+2=5 not 9, this isn't the bait thread nigpig

You don't even need bodmas or pemdas or any of that shit for this. I swear some people are retarded.

And while Im at it, its 9. No matter how you do this equation, you cant fuck up unless you tried. This shit really is simple and you dont need any fucking bodmas retard abbreviations to do this unless youre a fucking retard.

nice bait
and nice dubs

6/2(3)
3(3)
faggots.

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

nein, 9

Lol order of operations is PEMDAS. That means parenthesis first, so you got to multiply 2 by 3 which is 6. 6/6 = 1.

Please don't worship satan here. This is a Christian imageboard.

math is for faggots. you can't viciously kill a foreign invader on your homeland with math.

yes, i realize how stupid you are.

the solution to an equation depends on the conditions, take ops formula for example the solution can bee 1 or 9 depending on the conditions.
if you think this is stupid you shouldn't study math.

there are questions with only one answer (like the question if you should an hero) and questions where preconditions matter

preconditions are crystal clear here

R.I.P. civilisation

have you even read the thread?

Spoken like a true American.

math book is all i need

How in the fuck did this shit thread get over 245 replies?

How the fuck did this shit thread get over 246 replies?

How the fuck did this shit thread get over 247 replies?

Also check'd

4, 2x

Math is a very sensitive subject to many.

For me there are two correct answers to this:
A. Be the only human on the planet to answer this since no one is able to tell me I'm wrong if they are dead.
B.Walk away when someone ask you the question.

Assuming the person in B is going to follow me it would seem A is the only logical choice.

It's the fucking left to right roll… I can't believe I got this fucking wrong because of that little mix up…

It's fucking 9!
Not 1 or 2 it's fucking nine, nein, 9!

checked

It's 1. 6/2(1+2) = 1
You first multiply both numbers inside the parenthesis by two, so 6/(2 + 4) = 1
Once you add the 2 + 4 together you get 6. 6/6 = 1

If you weren't a lazy asshole and actually wrote out all your operators it wouldn't be ambiguous.

If you weren't a lazy asshole, and actually wrote out all the operators it wouldn't be ambiguous.

Guys, check it. It's not brain science. Follow along with me using PEMDAS. Here's our starting equation:
6/2(1+2)=?
P for parentheses, do anything outside of them first.
12(1+2)=?
E for Exponents, so 12 to the 1st power.
144+2=?
M and D for Multiplication and Division, but that doesn't apply in this particular equation, so we'll do A and S, Addition and Subtraction.
144+2=146
Done.

It's literally 6 ÷ 2(1+2) you stupid uneducated fucks.

The answer is 1

NO ITS NOT, YOU STUPID FUCKING C U N T

Yes it is dip shit

troll

PEMDAS: 6/(2*(3)) = 1
PEDMAS: (6/2)*(3) = 9
This shit is fucking lame I want to kill myself if this keeps appearing for the rest of my life

"A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction"."

Note
Multiplication and Division

2/2(2+2)
2/2(4)
1(4)

x/x(x+x)
x/x(2x)
x(2x)
2x

you mean (P)(E)(MD)(AS)
Because if multiplication is always before decision then
2/1*6 is not 12 but 0.3333333~