Begginer Software Development

I want to make software, I know exactly what I want to make (had this idea for quite some time now) its a simple board where you post sticky notes pictures a folder some texts etc (a kind of organizer) but I want to make it. Where do I start? I know the basics of computers (how to build em) basic command prompt inputs tweaking services and stuff, my friend tried to teach me to code but i wasn't paying attention. What do I do? I want it for windows.

Other urls found in this thread:

racket-lang.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP here: I know that there are different "languages" that's about the extent of it.

trying paying attention next time

ya well that was 6 years ago, and he's dead, any tips?

Try the sticky

You need to write it in pure x86 ASM. Don't listen to anyone else, it's the only language worth learning.

Also don't use any libraries, write everything yourself, all libraries are garbage and worthless. Do direct syscalls to the OS.

got it

Javascript and HTML5 would probably be a good choice for such an app user. And good software will be available on multiple platforms, not just one right?

I have a feeling this is a joke, but I'll bite anyway. First of all, forget it, if you don't know how to program your idea is waaaay out of your league. That's like saying "I know how to drive in a nail, so how can I build a house?". You should not give up on your idea forever, but it will be a while before you get to the necessary skill level.

So how do you into programming? Pick a language and a book, it doesn't really matter which one as long as it's not a broken mess (PHP, Javascript) or a joke. C and Python are nice choices, but there are more than that. Next get a book for beginners. Don't get a book that teaches you a language like K&R C because those assume you already know how to program and want to learn how to program in that language. SICP (Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs) is a book specifically for teaching computer science, it's free online and will teach you a wast array of topics. Make sure you do all the exercises and you can watch recordings of the MIT lectures on YouTube. There are less hardcore books as well, ask people here.

Once you are comfortable in CS/programming you can start coming back to your original idea. You will not only have to know how to write your own code, but also how to interface with libraries because if you want a GUI interface you will definitely want to use a GUI toolkit.

Of course you can also take the lazy shortcut and just glue existing libraries together until you have something that kind of looks like what you want, but you will get frustrated by the limitations of the "glue" approach. The less you do yourself, the more you are limited to what the author of the library intended, that's why specialized libraries should only be used for very specific tasks. The "just add water" types of libraries usually amount to "these are the uses-cases I had in mind, do not try anything different". It's for example the reason why all the games made in RPG Maker look and play so similar.

Heh, I see the memery is alive and well here on 8chongs as well.
:D

Noob doesn't mean stupid, SICP is suitable (and made) for beginners.

SICP assumes you aren't a complete fucking retard that has at least taken calculus. That's all it requires. It's not for high school dropouts, sure, but it's certainly not a meme, although there may be better books a decade or so after the fact considering the most the "average" programmer has to do these days is glue together libraries.

Recommending a book for programming beginners to a programming beginner is a meme now? I have a feeling the people who consider SICP a meme are just too stupid to understand it but don't want to admit it.

one seriouspost:

harvard cs50. you're going to suck.

maybe they're smart enough to avoid lisp?

I'd say those that call it "just a meme" are.

It is a meme and a funny one at that, but it is also a serious MIT online course that you can learn a lot from.

the thing about SICP is that the course could be as dated and irrelevant as the detractors suggest and still be compulsory watching just for Sussman and Abelson.

no it isn't.

it's a meme

avoiding sicp as a beginner is the opposite of stupid

this

Even if you don't want to use Lisp SICP is worth reading. A good craftsman will always know how to apply what he has learned to another context.

SICP isn't a great read. It's only useful if you are doing the exercises.

just because you're a fucking idiot who never took calc doesn't mean everyone else is.
it is explicitly a book for beginners. it was made for beginners, first year MIT EE and compsci undergrads.

Well duh. That's like saying that a gym membership is only useful if you do the exercises. Doing the exercises is the entire point, everything else in the book is there to get up competent enough to actually do the exercises.

Just like a gym. Everyone is on the juice and everyone lies about it. People who recommend gyms to fat fucks are braggards and idiots who enjoy watching people fail to feel like their self-deception has some element of truth to it.

Did you even do half the exercises in SICP?

Start with the basics. SICP works, but I'd start with something more simple. I started with QBASIC, but that's for Windows 95. There should be some variant of BASIC floating around, but I have no idea where to start.
Programming is less about the language and more about the concepts. Learn about constants, variables, functions and arrays and you know the most basic stuff. From there learn how to stick things together to make something that does things.
After that learn about data structures. Arrays, linked lists and hash tables should be enough for most projects.
Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because you can follow a tutorial you know what you're doing. If you can write down your algorithms on paper and plan everything then you should be good enough.

Me again, couldn't find any modern equivalent to QBASIC. If you want to start with a decent programming language, go for Racket. It's a LISP, so it's Holla Forumsy, but it's easy to understand and has great tutorials. racket-lang.org/

pick a language, try to learn it, fall flat on your face, repeat

for better results actually read shit online and perhaps you'll understand faster, but you sure as hell wont understand if you don't fail

Fat slobs need to stop eating so much. Taking up some fag gym membership is retarded advice.
And someone learning programming needs to be able to do something useful not writing fucking Scheme square root approximations.