More Meme-tech on the Horizon Fams

powerpc-notebook.org/about/

So there's a group that's working on a PPC laptop designed to run GNU/Linux.

The specs they're promising are

It sounds great because x86 is totally botnetted these days, and the forums are actually active which means that there might be people working on it, but there's no prototype or planned release date yet. Can I hold onto hope for this, or is it just another memeware project that'll fade away?

How do you know that this isn't botnet in disguise? Is there any way to actually verify that it isn't backdoored, without trusting what the company says?

Not saying that it is a botnet, just curious whether something like this can be verified

Seems OK, but is it going to be expensive as fuck like that Talos workstation? Also why don't these guys just make the board to fit an old Thinkpad or something? That way you can pack lots of power in an already good chassis and have something functional.

Why not include one? I imagine they're pretty cheap, so there's not much point in omitting it.

They're absolutely all the time are god awful in terms of quality

is the thinkpad pleasure-nub patented? i fucking love those things. beats the shit out of touchpads

The patents have expired.

It's just that it's a very niche group who like nubs, so I've only ever seen dell bother trying to copy it (poorly) in it's business laptops.

They forgot one:

It's not on X86 and there's a good chance it lacks any sort of remote management functionality that can be exploited.

I built my own pseudo-laptop.

It's not exactly pleasant looking and still has yet to have a battery but why the fuck doesn't everyone create their own laptop?

Came here to post this. I'd pay a lot of money for auditable hardware.

Side note: It's not x86 in itself that is backdoored but modern x86 processors, though AES extensions are an issue.

So, how much is it going to cost?

They need to spend less on the product and more on the marketing, why? Because normies need to know what 'a Linux' is, and they need to love it.
Also they should partner with Canonical to get them into the mainstream, Linux needs big advertising, everyone needs to know the name 'Linux' and it is part of the reason why most people don't use it (the other being that it doesn't come with their PC).

Building a PC is easy. Standardized cases, motherboards, extension cards, etc.

Building a laptop is less so. Designs change with every model and while some components are reusable it mostly custom tailored to task.

How about posting your build? What options are you looking into for a battery?

It's not the hardware itself, but rather the firmware on the hardware you have to worry about. Modern x86 processors are flashed with proprietary firmware designed to spy on you or take control of your computer if someone with a lot of money feels like it. The company here is promising fully free firmware, which means auditable firmware.

What point is there in auditable software and firmware when the hardware simply refuses to work as intended? I do have to worry about hardware, thank you.

I don't intend to be rude here, but I'll keep build specs to myself if that's okay. It's not proprietary or anything I just dislike sharing computer specs over the internet. I will say however that I built it into an old shopping basket and it weighs ~5 pounds with all the required components. I had initially intended on it being a modular, handheld gaming console that could be used on the go if you didn't mind having the majority of it around your waist all the time, however that plan quickly fell apart when the battery came into the equation.

Currently, I am thinking of either building my own UPS 15 pounds, easy, or buying one off the internet around 8 to 15 pounds depending on the level of power consumption I plan to do away from a supply of power. However, because my original design concept was to be discreet enough to carry through a mildly busy area it can't be much bigger than it already is. Meaning that if I plan to keep the original design I'll have to find some way to slim it, and so far I simply can't.

Take your meds.

dealbreaker

they should know their audience better

HP business notebooks have them too.

They're alright, but I've never had a chinkpad so I can't compare.

Don't cut yourself on that edge, there, son.

"Meme" is not a synonym for "thing I don't like."

The clit is patented, or at least it used to be.

user, this is the funniest shit I've seen on tech in a long time, I'm having coughing fits from laughing so hard

If you are referring to , that does not address my point.

At five pounds it's nothing, over that are problems.

I'm glad I didn't share the specs with you. Kinda figured you were baiting.

You know, I figure I'll ask: I am a little curious to know what crazy amazing stuff you've created which makes my little design flop so hilarious?

Especially considering I ditched the idea and I never gave you the whole picture.

I'm sure you're not some faggot who has never built anything, right?

It's about as heavy as my (T series) Thinkpad. It sounds cool, and I'd be interested in more information about it, but it doesn't sound practical.

It's about as heavy as your average laptop. The reason I ditched using it on the go is because of the weight when you account for a UPS; it wasn't practical and I already realized this.

You didn't answer my question. What have you created? Or are you telling me you've created nothing and are a faggot?

I'm a different person.

Really. My bad. But then why did you respond to my question which was clearly directed at ?

You could have at least mentioned you were a different user in your initial reply.

To explain why someone would think it's funny and that they can think it's impractical without thinking it's worthless.

I should have mentioned it, yes. Sorry.

I understood why some people might find the impractically of my original design funny. That wasn't my necessarily problem with him.

Anyway I'd prefer not to share more design specs for the reason mentioned in my original post. I hope you understand.