BALTIMORE STORYTIME

WWI ends abruptly after zombie plague breaks out, and vampires begin to come out of the shadows to feed on humans. Lord Baltimore is on a hunt for one particular vampire, and travels throughout Europe searching for him and slaying monsters on the way.

End of Issue 1

Issue #2

Issue #3

Issue 4

Issue 5

End of issue 5, and of first arc.
I will post more later today.

Good read, thanks a lot, user.

This is how The Order: 1884 should've been.

Free Comic Book Day issue.

finally something about good comics on this board keep it up man. Here's some nice Mignola art.

You're doing God's work OP.

Aw hell yeah, a friend loaned me a few of these books during my last semester of college, Mignola will always be a good name in the comics industrty and one of the few reasons to not go full Vincent Price on the comics industry.

Thanks for the story time again user, I like reading something neat for a change.

That is not a real place.
It doesn't even sound German.
Consider me triggered.

t. German

At least you are not a Slav, user. You would be triggered to no end, seeing made up names that sound "Slavic" to foreigners, but look ridiculous to native speakers.

You're welcome and Thank you. It's time for second arc.

Issue 2

Issue 3

Issue 4

Issue 5

Part 1/2

2/2

Single issue story

Another one shot

This is pretty okay, thank you OP.

though I gotta say OP a few pages here and there are out of order.
Thanks for posting though.

That's even worse than Tülingart, holy shit.

Goddammit. So far the comic has been almost perfect and now this.

I think that's just the site fucking up. Also, Baltimore kinda reminds me of Geralt of Rivia.

I wonder if there are or will be any episodes set in post-WW1 Russia. If anything, the resurgence of vampires and other nasties should've hastened the fall of the empire.
***Plus we never get enough Baba Yaga in comics.*

Will the name Stein am Rhine satisfy you?

Baba Yaga is a pretty important character in Hellboy so not sure if this one will put her on the pedestal as much.

Maybe she can be a good entity that helps the hero. After all that is how she portrayed in most Russian tales. Also I haven't read any Hellboy comics besides the first one. Fight me.

It mostly makes me wonder if it's really that hard to use fucking Google Maps.

>Not reading Hellboy
You're missing out. You can go ahead and skip non-Mignola written one shots, though.

It seems like Mignola, despite his love of folklore, doesn't do that much in depth research when writing, but instead he just takes general concepts that he finds interesting and puts them into stories without too much care for accuracy. Americans tend to usually pretty ignorant of European countries that aren't England, so it might not even occur to them to use maps.

Another option is that they just didn't want to use real places for whatever reason, but they do use London.

Since the plague broke out in very early 1916 and brought an effective end to the fighting very quickly, there's a decent chance that the Revolution never happened.

In the early months of '16 conditions were very bad but public order in Russia was still holding together, it was only by the end of that year that riots began to break out. The troops would have eagerly returned home after a disastrous 1915 and gone back to work. With public relief and an end to the economic pressure of war Tsar Nicholas might well have been able to regain control. The worker's demonstrations of 1917 over bread and conditions that spiralled out of control probably would never have happened, and the Tsar would have had many more troops available to put down any unrest that did occur. The plague would hit the urban poor hardest, literally killing off potential rebellion.

I suspect the Russia of Baltimore's world is a brutal but relatively intact place, its military regrouping and the Tsar using the rising tide of monsters as a convenient excuse to crack down on revolutionaries with the approval of the public. I could see an Orthodox version of the Inquisition, working alongside the White Guard traditionalists as foot soldiers against the Red and the Dead.

Bolsheviks allying with vampires as a last resort
They're only pawns in the vampires' plan to infiltrate the Romanovs

Here's more

It probably is the site. I double check before submitting, but can't rule out few slipping through. I'll be more diligent from now on.

Well, Mignola doesn't seem to put that much effort into research and being accurate. He is interested in occult and folklore, but he just takes ideas that seem interesting and then tweaks and incorporates them into stories.

There are many understandable reasons for not wanting to use real places, but my guess would be to obscure their lack of knowledge of European geography or avoid errors that could be caused by it. They could at least use some common town names or seek out names of ghost towns and abandoned villages. It doesn't really matter - these are just details an not really what stories are about.

The funny thing is that he actually seems to have put some effort into Tülingart at least, since that seems to be a portmanteau of Tübingen, Balingen and Stuttgart, three Swabian cities. The name doesn't make any sense, though, since -gart is not a common suffix for German city names, I actually it's unique to Stuttgart (which is where I live, by the way). So if that's true he gets an A for effort, but Bludeschtag is just inexcusible.

Also, I don't really see why he couldn't just have taken the name of a real city, because some German city names occur more then once. "Neustadt", for example, is our version of "Springfield", and there's two cities named Münster. Also, there would have been no need to worry about architecture, since every German town looks pretty much the same, especially in the Swabian countryside where I assume the issue takes place due to my portmanteau-theory.

I think I keep harping on this because the rest of the comic is so good that the tiniest flaw stands out.

Thanks for the dump, by the way, I can't wait until the next issue.

Sorry, I forgot to upload stuff yesterday.

So, there won't be any more Baltimore stories? did the book got cancelled?

I need more baltimoore

Thanks for this OP, been reading since (what I think is) the next arc, the one with the witch. This filled in a couple of gaps for me!

I'm saving all this for another time if I ever want to look at it again.

Baltimore is still an ongoing comic, there's still tons more that hadn't been posted.

Thanks OP.

It feels good to be reminded that there are always new wondrous things to find, a reason to get up in the morning.

Ah, ok, just thought that the vampire killing was kinda anticlimatic.

I think this is where the novel the comic is based on ends.

I love the attention to detail that's paid to Baltimore's equipment, at least in the early issues. Nearly everything he carries is identifiable for the period - Webley revolvers, French and British issue bayonets, etc. For swords, he starts off with a German infantry/artillery officer's sabre in The Plague Ships. Then that gets battered and bent in the all-night fight with the submarine revenants (holy shit, realistic damage to swords during heavy use in a comic book?!), so he switches to a French An XI Light Cavalry pattern sabre in the Free Comic Book Day issue (though the blade is a little off - they may have got confused with the 1822 Heavy Cavalry, or used a modern French F1 dress sabre as reference).

I can't identify the sword he switches to in The Curse Bells, and that bugs me but I'm pretty sure it's because it's fictitious. By the time we get to Chapel of Bones the sword changes design within the same issue, so I think all bets are off and they were just working from imagination

Judge Duvic, meanwhile, initially carries a Prussian 1889 infantry officer's sword, though he seems to have lost it by the time he catches up with Baltimore in The Infernal Train and uses a more generic-looking one I can't identify (might be meant to be a French 1821 infantry).

I can't understand why they seem to get worse over time though - are the artists working off a style sheet or something to begin with then start working from the imagination later?

Witch of Harju three issue arc

Book and comics are kind of intertwined from what I gather, and comic fills events that book skipped and vice versa.

Huh, I didn't know that Baltimore was a /k/ tier comic.
Art does gets uneven and suffer in the later chapters, but Witch is probably the lowest point.

Dark Horse would never cancel any Mignola project. If he dies, DH will probably try to bring him back to life or freeze his body.

I messed up. This arc should be before Witch one.

No, you had the order right. If you look in the last panel of this arc, the woman from the previous arc is there.

Also, if you look on the second page of each of the issues, they say what number in the series they are. Witch of Harju has 21, 22, and 23, Wolf and Apostle has 24 and 25.

And thus, this horrible world is politically a better place.

Ah Grimbright. The Best Setting. No story has more impact then when the villain is strongest and the hero fights with the most passion. Bless Mike Mangola.

Sure it is, I mean the German Empire is still around.
It still hurts

I have to say though, the book is kinda losing steam after the death of Haigus. The hunt for Haigus was a much stronger motivation than this kinda nebulous goal of stopping the Red King.

Also, I'm not too fond of how the sidekick characters just appear out of thin air. I think it would've worked better if he gathered them during his hunt for Haigus, or if they had been characters we've seen before, like Vanessa or Hodge. And, no, Childress doesn't count because he only appeared at the tail end of the Haigus arc.

Don't get me wrong, the book is still awesome, but it could've been even better hat they done things differently in this regard.

The End. This is all I've got.

Thanks OP

I could post the first three issues of the Empty Graves arc, if you guys are interested.

Why do you even ask?

DO IT

here's page n°6, messed up.

End of issue #1

Issue #2

End of Issue #2

Issue #3

End of Issue #3
Issue #4 is due July 06, 2016.

Then we wait. Thank you for delivering, user.

It definitely loses its steam. I read everything up to death of Haigus in one sitting. Werewolf story was probably the best one out of the post-Haigus ones. To me, Lord Baltimore just seems to be a character that works better as a lone wolf.

Anyone know what type of demon this is?

The original novel ends with the reveal that Baltimore's heart was turned into tin, and that he was doomed to fight the Red King (Issue #2 of The Chapel of Bones, page 23), so I guess we can chalk up the loss of steam to the writers being unsure of the direction the story should take.

I don't think it's based on a specific creature: I'd say calling it an imp would be enough.

Anyways, here's issue #4.

And that's issue #4. The fifth, and final issue of this arc is due August 03, 2016.