Holla Forums feels thread

Have you ever been affected by technology on an emotional level? I think it's easy to lose the emotional and social impact of technology in the conversations about standards and functionality here. Things like Eternal September, the rise and fall of the BBS networks predating the internet, and the absurd and sometimes bleak fight of free software against an increasingly hostile and incompatible consumer culture all provide for interesting narratives and stories that have shaped the way we view computing today and their intersection with the society we live in. I'm sure many of you have at least a few stories about moments where your time in the wired got a little more real than you expected.

Other urls found in this thread:

mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2016-April/010912.html
blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
16chan.nl/b/thread/1515
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Siemens makes millions doing that. Why can't you do better than they can? Bunch of nazi motherfuckers.

I feel sad because of how late I am to everything. I didn't get stable internet access until 2010. I want Usenet. I want BBS's. I want chan culture to not be continuously driven away into bleaker and bleaker situations. I feel like just as I find something great, it dies. I'm not surprised, but I am sad. In some ways, even though I'm not Catholic, this quote summarizes it well:
In this case, I suppose final victory would be the triumph of FOSS and the revival of Usenet etc. Obviously I am less sure of this happening, but I must keep alive hope. Not optimism, but a single flame of hope.

like what?

See:

you mean the image editor thread, the browser threads, the portable computer thread, the general questions and comsumer questiosn threads, the processor thread and the other half of the board that isn't any of those things you described?

wich bowser best current year

depends on your needs but I think it's a toss up between firefox based forks and Chromium

Probably still the Mario world bowser. Clown car is God tier.

Filter them and contribute to the thread. There's a lot in the catalog right now, like the ones mentioned along with stuff like the legacy OS thread.

Nice successful troll tho

Sure. Witnessing the death of 8ch.

at this point it's just pretending to be retarded

I feel sad by how it was just a matter of time before the powers that be learned to use technology to make their dream come true: a Huxleyian dictatorship disguised as a democracy where you're "free", where people get the strictest minimum of freedom most people require to think they're free, but the slightest attempt at acting against the system will get you in serious trouble.

You're free to choose between an iPhone or a Samsung Galaxy S, you're free to choose between Paris, Los Cabos or Tokyo for your vacations, you're free to choose which college major you want to study, which show on Netflix you want to watch, and you're free to profess any political cause that is backed by the mainstream (e.g. SJWism back in 2015, American nationalism this year now that Trump is running for president).

But what if you're nazi or you support white pride? You can't, you will get labeled as The Kyriarchy Incarnate if you so much as dare to not constantly express feelings of guilt and worthlessness. Do you want to experience the weird, awesome things you used to find on the internet back when it was mainly run by random dudes making their own Geocities pages? Enjoy whatever pages you find while they last because all this thing is being gobbled by Gawker and given a libtard political spin. Do you want to discuss openly, in a no-bullshit environment, freely and without having your name attached to every single one of your comments like a license plate? The sites where you can do that are shriveling and writhing in pain as the Facebook Wide Web keeps gobbling everything it comes across. Do you want to watch the weirdest anime shows you will never find on Netflix? Know an IRL or close internet friend who has an Animebytes account. You want to listen to the weirdest EDM created in the darkest depths of the internet? Too bad, you won't find it on Spotify. Do you want to escape the mass surveillance apparatus that grew along with the advertisement industry which the NSA was perfectly OK with? Prepare to endure fucking hell as you're barred from using any website that won't even render with as little as disabling Javascript because Pajeet Chandrasekar just dragged and dropped a zillion Javascript libraries, glued them with verbatim Stackoverflow examples and seasoned the whole thing with a zillion adtech Javascripts.

I got to live the last few years of the World Wide Web back in 2002-2007 when I was still in high school, before Big Tech started noticing the normalfags and just about the only thing they had on the internet was e-mail, Facebook and AOL IM/MSN Messenger. The internet was free. It was all small, hard-to-sustain stuff that required a lot of community effort, but it was all grassroots. You were expected to contribute if you liked it. I remember Sharereactor, Suprnova, Mininova, the first few years of Direct Connect, the Hispanic web got a few bonus years when direct download anime on Megaupload was big thing around 2009-2011. Fast forward to 2016, and all that stuff is in the past. It has been replaced with Netflix, Spotify, Crunchyroll and iTunes, all of them corporations that only sell whatever they have determined to be profitable and will bow to the authorities or any political faction that cries loud enough to get them to pull something for whatever reason.

Everything is plastic, glossy, manufactured, fake, soulless and artificial, you're expected to build your identity, your tastes and your hobbies in terms of all that officially approved stuff, everything is specially designed to make you think life is good when the world around us is fucking burning and falling to pieces.

I try to get around by spending time on this corner of the internet where you can still find everything you could find on the old World Wide Web before the Facebook Wide Web grew like a cancer on the internet, but I don't know for how long it's going to last...

Technology.
Technology.
Technology and you're probably using one right now.

Notice how often each of them get spammed and sagebombed by autistic niggers crying abut "muh /g/".

Their CSS alone is so huge it triggers Atom's "crash on opening huge file" bug.

It's curious that you would say this, as some of the other complaints in your post seem to be extremely against the general opinions of the members of those groups that I've encountered, which generally seem to be pro surveillance and pro censorship at least so long as they're the ones doing it. Is that complaint from personal experience and others reaction's to you or is it from seeing it from the outside?

I don't like Nazism and I like neo-Nazism even less (the latter is just a knee-jerk reaction to SJWism with zero thought whatsoever). In fact some of my political views can be actually be described as progressive as I'm in favor of gay marriage, abortion, drug legalization and street harassment to some degree (in Mexico it's an actual problem on par with Japan's chikan/sekuhara).

However, just because I don't like something, it doesn't means I should silence discussion of that topic. It's not even something ideological, it's just pure and simple reciprocity: what if by some force of destiny my political views are pushed into the fringe and now I'm the one being silenced?

Maybe I'm not really anti-SJW but more pro-freedom and anti-censorship?

I got sick of IT and computers in general so I moved into finance. Everyday I have to use a .NET program through remote desktop (Citrix). Every click takes ages, the lag is awfully unbearable.
Did I mention it's been programmed by Indians? I should rather say it was barfed and pissed by Curryniggers, actually. Constant bugs, runtime errors, typed data randomly disappears...

So yeah. Everyday I get extremely pissed off. It gets me on an emotional level. And I want to kill Indians. Oh my fucking lord, they are absolutely retarded and I'm a spic.

How come Fortune 500 companies are outsourcing to a country with designated shitting streets? I mean, I get they want to reduce costs but I'm sure Nepal, Peru or fucking Mongolia have more skilled programmers than that shithole.

And of course I hate the current state of technology.

From experience on my company, I hazard that your Citrix desktop was also hosted somewhere in fucking India.

Me too. You know shit's fucked up when even Brayan Estiven PĂ©rez who studied computer science at the cheapest shit college is better than your average street-shitting pajeet.

"SJW" is not that well-defined, so "anti-SJW" even less. All you can say for sure about it is that it means you oppose "SJWs" in some way, and that's not anywhere close to a full political position. Two "anti-SJWs" might disagree about every single thing, as long as they both disagree with some things SJWs think (don't have to be the same things).

It's probably fair to call yourself an anti-SJW, but it's not very informative. "Pro-freedom and anti-censorship" is better.

Yes, pro-freedom, anti-censorship and moderate-progressive would best describe my political beliefs.

To answer your question... it's kinda hard to complain when Joe Hacker knows all his shit but costs $50,000/year, whereas Pajeet Chandrasekar didn't even touch a computer in college but only expects something more like $3000/year.

And has an entire warehouse of 10,000 fellow streetshitters to consult with free of charge. Not even exaggerating.

then maybe we need IDs

Probably because one of those group's crowning achievements were starting World War II and the genocide of millions due to their ethnicity and the other group is widely associated with violent crime and being an antisocial degenerate (most likely due to the members' unifying characteristic being hatred of others based on their race).

Good post user

Blah blah edgy teenager iconoclasm bullshit.

Explain to me how anyone is stopping you in any way from using whatever phone you want, vacationing to whatever location you want, what you want to study in college (including useless shit like gender studies), and who you want to vote for.

Exactly - there is nothing stopping you. You're just whining that society has patterns, and you *DESPERATELY* want to not fit into that pattern. Except guess what? That's also a pattern.

Go be a hipster somewhere else. The world has been "fucking burning and falling to pieces" since before you were born, and will continue to do so long afterwards.

this is where the thread became shit and continued to become shit

fuckin British

THREAD BELONGS IN STICKY REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Even if you believe that's true, you have to see how odd it is that it's more socially acceptable to be a communist when communists killed way more people or that a lot of people support Black Lives Matter when that's obviously "hatred of other races." It's just that their hatred is directed at an acceptable target.

Over a longer time period and across multiple countries (one being China), vs many deaths in a short period of time in one small area of the world. They are generally disliked for being associated with totalitarian government and being the US's and NATO's enemy in the Cold War as opposed to being associated with totalitarian government, genocide of an ethnic group, and a world war.

I must have missed something, because last time I checked BLM wasn't the new black power movement. Police officer isn't a race, it's something that a person voluntarily becomes and is a member of an arm of the state. BLM also gets some sympathy from the general population because the general population agrees with some of their complaints about the police, though most people generally disagree with their rioting about it.

To Black Lives Matter it *is* a race: white.

It's a race to the bottom

Sauce please. It can't be this bad...can it?

Almost all modern cellphones shove the radio into the SoC and allow it to DMA all over main memory without any hardware security, because that adds a fraction of a cent to the cost. These radio circuits are always controlled by a proprietary firmware blob that runs completely separate from the OS

...which conveniently leads into the next point; the backdoors in new Intel/AMD chips work the same way, and so does the Raspberry Pi and other shit-tier hardware: independent hardware with proprietary firmware has full control over the system and does not work for you the owner

See what said about the cell modem having DMA, though not having it on the SoC doesn't necessarily mean it won't have DMA (PCIe cards have DMA for example). All they need to do to eliminate this problem is to stop giving the cell modem DMA, but that will raise the cost very slightly so they won't (out side of a few specific phones such as the Blackphone and the Neo900, also the models of the Dragonbox Pyra with a cell modem if you consider it to be a phone).

The Intel ME and AMD SP (used to be called the Platform Security Processor or PSP) are secondary processors on the main processor that are controlled by proprietary firmware and have complete access to everything on your computer. Can't remember what the Intel ME runs on, but the AMD SP uses an ARM Cortex A5. For a quick overview:
mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/discussion/2016-April/010912.html
For a more detail, this goes over various security issues with Intel's processors (section on the ME starts at page 34):
blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
Not much info is out there on AMD's SP currently.

See the recent case with the US government trying to force Apple to help them with getting information off the iPhone, there have also been a couple other smaller cases.

Due to Secure Boot, which Microsoft requires all computers sold with new versions of Windows to have. All it takes is for a computer manufacturer to not add the keys for OSes other than Windows and you're screwed.

This one should be obvious.

Sorry ;_;

It was a pretty decent ride. But I don't know where to go next.

try them all
ignore the shills telling you to go to a board
ignore the shills telling you not to go to a board
those people want to control how you think. that's your job

Hello Schlomo

That's the thing. I think all alternatives are shit.

My favorite is finalchan, but you're right, nothing feels quite like home.
Run by macfags, no thanks.

communism has had more tan enough spikes eclipsing anything the Nazis did at even the highest estimates.

Millions of deaths in part of central Europe is a lot bigger of a deal than millions of deaths in a country the size of Europe with a higher population than all of Europe. Also, large amounts of deaths from starvation due to people without knowledge of farming managing how farms were run and shit going terribly wrong doesn't exactly compare to large amounts of deaths from a government actively trying to exterminate a religious group in their country and the surrounding countries.

damn shame

I'm probably going xyz or .pl but I'm not sure of all the options

definitely not joshnet

Give 16chan a try, at least. It has software that works properly and a developer that listens to and implements feedback.

NEIN

I just now tried to force myself to look around it and I had visions of the future with sub par memes like "josh is a fag" and my own self loathing

it would be like going back to 4chan and I cannot do it

What part of the UI is it you don't like? Can't it be fixed with CSS?

do you not remember that entire mess with Infinity Next?

I do. The complaints I remember the most are the floating box and the lack of a [Reply] link, both of which are fixed.

Again, which part of the UI is it you don't like? Can't it be fixed with CSS?

had to give it a proper looking at

generally I don't like how the feel has changed and the visual aesthetics and plenty of wasted space though I appreciate the reply box can now cover stuff if I zoom far enough in

specifically I think it could all stand to be trimmed vertically and wrapped around a good half of it

take a look at that guys post

and this one

where as on 16chan that is not the case
16chan.nl/b/thread/1515

also the default expand when hover over image is insufferable thanks to load times

also the distinct lack of boards I go to, and lack of activity on boards I go to is a bad sell, the Holla Forums there is deader than here, not to mention the lack of Holla Forums, Holla Forums and Holla Forums

there was another thing but I forgot it because I wanted to add it last

Those are CSS issues. Someone may already have made a stylesheet that fixes them. Try the "Stylist" section of the options. kappa-burichan.css seems more efficient.

It's true that it's a lot deader now, but you don't have to use just one imageboard.

oh, and I just don't trust Josh

I listed 4 that were either slow or simply not there

And another thing
No those are aesthetic issues

shit aesthetics

and I don't like it

Why not? He's a lot more trustworthy than Jim at this point.

To prevent squatting, legacy 4chan board names can't be registered for now. /polin/ is the most popular Holla Forums equivalent, /videogames/ the most popular Holla Forums equivalent. I can't find an active Holla Forums equivalent.

I mean that they can be solved by changing the CSS. CSS is stylesheets, CSS issues are usually aesthetic issues.

because he was a shit before jim was even involved

la. de. da.
issues created because Josh wanted the site to look HIS way instead of the traditional way, I'm not interested

I explained that they can be fixed, and I told you that there's already a stylesheet that might work for you. Have you tried it?

I browse image boards on multiple computers, I don't want to have to configure them every time I get on a different computer especially not ones that I clear the history on every time I get off

Fuck.
My.
Everybody knows Shit's fuck
Up.

Stop masturbating so much, then.

Where do you think we are.

You make some excellent points, but then you do retarded shit like casually condone Nazism. This is why normies tolerate SJWs and not you. This is a more personal note, but I really don't get any ethnicity's obsession with the culture and achievements that correlate with a particular level of melanin or whatever. We're all just mutants who evolved out of regions of the planet with different advantages/disadvantages. One of the biggest reasons europeans were successful was because they had animals that could be domesticated, not because of muh superior genes. That said, you don't have to feel guilt over slavery or whatever the popular guilt trip catalyst is right now. You can only feel guilt or pride over things you personally have done, anything else is vicarious.

Back to Holla Forums stuff, the centralization of the net sucks, and as far as just browsing I seem to find less interesting, weird, amateurish stuff than ever on the clearnet. I'm hoping sites like Neocities will fix that, but then stuff like Squarespace is out there and requires a lot less effort and has that nasty artificial feel you talked about. I feel you on that. I've poked around on freenet and there's sometimes interesting stuff on it but it's also a little risky. If anyone knows of any hidden gems on freenet or i2p or anywhere else, link that shit.

I'm not really against torrenting or anything but in the case of anime I'm glad more people are paying for it. It's not quite the same beast as the western movies/music industry and if putting more money in results in an eastern animation golden age that's accessible without jumping through a ton of hoops I'm up for it.

As for the future of the wired, I don't expect the commercialization and centralization to slow down, but I do think the fringes of the net will become more interesting in ways we can't predict. Even if it mostly moves to darknets, there's something kind of appealing about that to me, like a "you must be this curious/competent to enter" gatekeeping mechanism. That's how a lot of good stories start

disregard the first point, I replied to the former without reading the latter.

you cheeky cunts