The next step in portable computers

I've been looking at smart watches/phones, here's what you can get for $100 today:

These things are a bit smaller than a standard Zippo lighter. I've seen some smartwatches selling for $10 but they're pretty much worthless.

How long before we have dual curved screen HD goggles? VR that fits in pocket.

What do you think the next generation of computing devices will look like? Or the human interface devices to replace touch screens. And how can FLOSS get the jump on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K1RNQxMx_QE
cicret.com/
wearcam.org/wristcam/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's got to be a better way than this

Hm, voice recognition is very likely the only option with this. The applications for it will be a bit of a paradigm shift: i.e those controlled with a minimal amount of input.

Use case:
* says "twitterinstabook"
* touches the south of the bezel to scroll down
* says "weather"
* displays a precis
* pushed text message from friend onscreen

I'm having the option that anything more than 4-point touch-screen on a watch will be as useful as a seperate keyboard on a phablet.

I got a tablet with specs as pic related for exactly 99 dollars

If you're paying 100 bucks for a tiny-ass screen and a fucking Mali GPU you are being seriously ripped off

Let me guess, it's that Chuwi dual boot tablet?

Damn fucking right it is and its the best 99 bucks I've spent, I deleted the Android partitions though and plan on replacing Windows 10 for Linux

I'm hoping that gaze tracking takes precedence over voice control. One of the reasons why voice is being pushed so hard is because users are more likely to anthropomorphize their device and create an emotional bond with it. It's the marketing psychologists making UI design decisions not the engineers.

Most of the money is spent for the case and assembly. The insides are exactly what you'd find on any smartphone or tablet, just downclocked to improve battery life and deal with thermal issues. As you can see most of the room inside is taken up by a battery.

$99 for a 1920x1200 screen device is damn impressive, the highest I've seen on smartwatches at $100 or below is 400x400, the Apple Watch only has 272×340 for comparison.

Too be fair its pointless going full 1080p on a smartwatch screen because the screen is so fucking tiny you'd need to press it against your retina to see any pixels, I'm not even sure if its possible to manufacture a panel with that pixel density

There are 2000x2000 OLED on silicon displays from eMagin you can buy right now as engineering samples and are going to be used in dual screen VR headsets. Their monochrome green 2560×2048 displays were out for years already. They're under an inch in size though, used in high end viewfinders for military gear.

I'm really hoping we're not going to see another 1366x762 scenario repeat in smartwatches. In VR headset having a curved display means the screen can be closer to the eye reducing optics and potentially fill the entire field of view. Curved displays already exist in $99 watches but are 240x240 and convex instead of being concave.

The potential use as a monocular display or in VR goggles is the only reason why I'm interested in these smartwatches.

I paid 55 for a tower with twice those specs

What's it called exactly?

Are you willing to learn something new? I personally used first pic related when I had a smartphone. Either that or have a separate chording keyboard on your belt.

It's not a computing device, it an overhyped accessory.

Gimmick. It will never be used as primary interface for general purpose devices.
If you have any doubts, imagine three people in single room using voice controlled equipment.

wuw u user
youtube.com/watch?v=K1RNQxMx_QE

Use any wireless input device of choice or develop a method that works.

Put on a higher resolution screen then place device closer eye. Or don't use a screen.

The same thing was said about the first iPhone, that sold 6 million with a 412mhz CPU, 128mb of RAM and a 320×480 screen less than 10 years ago.

I'm wondering where these tiny computers might show up as being worn on a wrist doesn't seem to be gaining much traction. As a small video recorder similar to action cameras? A screen could be optional, just activate it and check the display wirelessly to make sure it's positioned properly. There are hundreds of application for a Zippo sized computer that haven't been thought up yet.

A tiny keyboard like the Xbox 360 chatpad could be worn on the upper arm. It would look stupid as fuck though.

pip
boy

Here's a better shot

Using a smart ring on both thumbs seems like a preferable input method than having two gigantic keypads on your belt. By rubbing or tapping it on the individual segments of the index finger you could get precise control. There's already cheap NFC rings out there that have a single button on them.

Might as well have the screen fold over the keyboard in a bracer like mounting configuration.

cicret.com/

combination contact lense wristwatch thing maybe

that would be cool for A E S T H E T I C reasons

absolutely useless

Laptops already exists. And good luck doing anything productive without a proper server grade CPU

Nice palindromic digits.

And personal computing is constantly taking on new forms with the masses while the FLOSS ideology is being left behind on those server grade CPUs. Either the tech community starts being at the forefront of new advances with breakthroughs of their own that the industry has to begrudgingly accept or we'll get to see the future of computing being shut off to us.

18 years ago it seemed like GNU/Linux was unstoppable when it came to being used on wearable computers in the near future. Today that dream is dead as almost all commercially available smartwatches are proprietary consumer garbage.

wearcam.org/wristcam/

Speccy user here, excuse me if I sound like I'm shilling, just want to share my thoughts

Its a Chuwi Hi8, it may have been discontinued by Chuwi in favor of the Hi8 Pro though since the Hi8 is no longer listed on their website, however I believe its still listed on Amazon. The Pro is the same thing but a slightly newer chip (14nm Cherry Trail) HDMI port, and USB C.etc I think its about 20 dollars more expensive but I remember seeing one under 100 bucks depending on where you look, but the Pro is not listed on Amazon AFAIK

Overall great little tablet from some obscure Chinese company and I'm glad I got it, because damn its just such a nice screen for the price, according to Windows it used a Panasonic IPS panel. Build quality is certainly not Thinkpad-tier but its solid at the same time, that is to say, it doesn't feel cheap either, it also came with a USB OTG cable.

And as far as Linux support goes, development is ongoing, there's a small group of people slowly getting Chuwi devices supported on mainstream distros, the main issues are the Silead touch drivers, as well as wifi/Bluetooth, but again, it came with a USB OTG cable so you can still run Linux without these things, you just need a USB hub with keyboard and mouse and shit. If you are afraid of Windows 10 you can always roll back to Windows 8 too

I wonder if that projector would work with hairy arms.

Assuming the devices you're thinking of are both monochrome and exactly 1" square, that would correspond to dot pitches of 12.7µm and 9.9µm. Wikipedia indicates that the smallest dot pitches for FLD, LCD, DLP, and LCoS panels are 10µm, 7µm, 5.4µm, and 3.7µm, respectively (note that these are all monochrome, to get RGB triad pixel pitch for most geometries, multiply by about 2.57).

Not necessarily, pics related.

Dot pitches for newer types of LCD technology doesn't really apply, does the white subpixel in this diagram count as a pixel? Newer AMOLED displays don't use uniform grids as some pixels are brighter than others or burn out faster.

"Dot" refers to individually addressable elements, "pixel" refers to all elements together which form a logical pixel. In your example, all four RGBW subpixels together form a pixel, and "pixel pitch" is conventionally measured from the same part of one pixel to the next, a method intended to work with any pixel geometry. All different geometries mean is that you have to change the multiplier to convert between dot and pixel pitch.

Differing brightness, color, or primary subpixels-per-pixel are completely irrelevant to dot pitch. For technologies as a whole, nonuniform "dot" sizes like PenTile, aren't very relevant either, since dot pitch only measures how tightly you can fit the smallest possible components together, describing an absolute limit on manufacturing ability. For a given display like this Nexus PenTile, though, I suppose a reasonably honest measurement would be the average distance (minimum and maximum) between the centers of each dot.

Somehow worse tactile feedback than a touchscreen

oh cool stuff

He said usable.

why stop at RSI when you can give yourself crippling arthritis too

What is that laser keyboard for? Hacking into a bank vault while suspended from the ceiling by a zip line?