Raising Livestock

The western world is, in a word, fucked. The air you breathe in most cities is contaminated with pollution that would have seemed unthinkable only three centuries ago. Few people actually know where there food comes from, instead purchasing strange meats from genetically modified animals, or equally warped vegetable matter, in an attempt to sustain themselves. The world is irreligious, immoral, and impossible to sustain in its current downward social spiral.

One person may look at this and see it as hopeless. But there is a way to make it through, and the biggest, most key component to that, is raising you own livestock.

I have raised chickens for my entire life. I have worked with meat-birds, common birds, and even heritage birds such as pic related. I am by now means a true expert on the matter, but I know enough to maintain a flock, and enough to help someone start their own.

Break free from the city, and the warped meats they serve you. You might not have space yet for larger animals like pigs and cattle, but at the very least, you can get your start here.

Ask questions, and if you are already knowledgeable on the subject, please contribute your thoughts as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickasstorrentsim.com/on-keeping-chickens-ebook-pack-t5764676.html
play.google.com/store/books/details?id=rDM2AQAAMAAJ&rdid=book-rDM2AQAAMAAJ&rdot=1
almanac.com/topics/gardening/gardening-help
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How much space do you need bare minimum to raise a few chickens? And what kind of startup costs for a reasonable setup?

Shill harder, meatcucks. These vegan girls are laughing at you.

Cows are fairly easy to maintain given decent fencing and enough pasturage. I worked on a small (around 100 head) beef farm over a summer in high school and it didn't seem that hard, you just have to keep an eye out in case one gets sick. Generally though they'll mind their own business if you give them food, water, occasional feed, and a salt block in a grassy field with some shade.

Not OP, but I'm a rural Slav so I may be able to help you out.
For chickens? Not much, if you raise them straight from the egg you can keep them in a cardboard box until they get big enough, just make sure they're getting food, water and light regularly, also for sleep they also don't need large spaces as you might imagine, you might get by with something that's two times smaller than a regular garage, but even that's quite big. Depends on how many chickens you're willing to have.
You will need a decently sized yard for them to roam during the day and don't forget to put enough food and water for them outside.
I don't know about costs, but chickens are the lowest maintenance animal to raise.

Oh I almost forgot a vital detail if you raise small chicks in a cardboard box, make sure that the lightsource is an incandescent bulb, since they give off a lot of heat they will need.

I've been vegetarian for a couple years before, all it did was make me lose lots of weight (I was already underweight) and spend more money on food. Meat is essential for maintaining a reasonable body mass.

thanks user

ITT OP wants us to tell him how best to eat his own cock, yet isn't really faggy. What strange times we post in.

One thing to note: If you get eggs instead of chicks, you will need a brooder. And if you get chicks, you will need a heat lamp of some kind.

The space you need for chickens will depend on the breed. RI Reds and other common American breeds are quite heavy, so you would imagine they'd need a lot of room. In truth, they're good with pretty much nothing at all. On the contrary, Hamburgs and the like enjoy movement, and need a lot of space to move around. Otherwise the damn things will fly off, assuming you don't clip wings.

Then you have to decide: Will you free range, or rely mostly on feed? I've worked free range, and can say one acre of land is easily enough to maintain ten score birds (though we never had that many at once).

With feed, you need a lot less. A ten by four chicken run could probably squeeze a dozen in that situation. But feed costs a lot more, and the birds rarely get the same nutrition in them. Bugs and grasses are quite different than grain.

The hard part with cattle is butchering. You can clean a chicken in a very short period of time, on a moment's notice. You need a lot of prep to slaughter cattle or other large animals.

Quail is better for small property. Both are nice ways to wean yourself off of the system. And if you're not even growing your own herbs and some vegetables/fruits, then start there.

Fuck off vegan gains. You're a shitty human being and I'm not just saying that because you're a nigger.

I recommend everyone first grow their own vegetables/grains. It's much cheaper, much less work, and a much more attainable goal for a Holla Forumsack in a studio apartment.

That said I have a herd of alpacas, flock of chicken, and some 20 acres of farmland.

Should be enough to sustain me and provide me with a source of income post shtf (wool at a minimum, I'd recommend sheep though, alpacas are too high maintenance comparatively are harder to control, and produce a lower yield per lb of livestock; plus alpaca jerky isn't that good)

Beats having to wade threw streets full of both human and horse shit.

kickasstorrentsim.com/on-keeping-chickens-ebook-pack-t5764676.html

Feeds and Feeding by Morrison is 100 years old and remains the most complete and practical guidebook.

play.google.com/store/books/details?id=rDM2AQAAMAAJ&rdid=book-rDM2AQAAMAAJ&rdot=1

Thanks for starting this threat, OP. Which breed of chicken would you recommend? And, how many would be necessary to have in order to sustain a family of three (one kid, two adults), consuming both eggs and meat?

And clouds of mosquitoes in villages during times of war or disease.

Describe the temperature and humidity. Lighter breeds do better in areas of higher heat than heavier breeds, for instance.

lel

I think you meant >>>/reddit/ newfriend.

As expected of a vegan nu-male.

Well if we're talking about human history rather then theoretical situations they pretty much are, at least in any remotely urban area.

Clearly this thread isn't for you, why even bother posting in it?

Well you clearly didn't read my posts

I did, it implies that you live in some city center that's going to run out of food in 3 days in any sort of happening scenario. Alternatively if that doesn't happen, you will die from pollution consumption in a number of years. Fantastic contribution.

It's not space for the chickens, it's availability of feed, and no, "free-ranging" them doesn't work. On a different chan I've done the scenario a couple of times of exactly how much land you need to feed yourself after TEOTWAWKI and the answer is 4 acres minimum per person, eating only corn and eggs. You can survive indefinitely on only nixtamalized corn, or ground corn and eggs. Eggs are rich in all the essential amino acids that straight cornmeal isn't.

Long story short, chickens gotta eat too, there aren't enough bugs and too many predators and soil-borne diseases to ensure a regular sanitary egg production cycle.

Well seeing as OP explicitly brought up cities in relation to air pollution (which is what I was posting about, nothing to do with chickens btw) I stand by my original statement, you appear to have some kind of reading comprehension issue.

Fantastic story.

Thanks, you may want to try reading threads past the title before you post in them next time.

I doubt it lad.

There's a lot of good stuff here. Some hunting, a beef or two if you can, hens, and whatever veggies you can grow in your area. You'll be pretty well set. I've got buff orpingtons because they are heavy built so they stay pretty slow and tame, lay plenty of eggs, and handle the heat fine. I've crossed some with australorps and when the next batch gets big, I'll know more. The last generation was good.

Not really, especially not from a nutritional standpoint.. You can leave them uncared for longer, that's about it. And growing veggies is instructive.

Horseshit ain't bad. I had no idea people shit on the streets, I used to go barefoot in warm places. City people are disgusting.

Free ranging works fine for me. I have probably 15 hens? time to count again, that wander around an acre or 2. They would do better if I moved them around.

People. Worry about the people. A rooster and 4 acres of corn are going to be obvious as fuck.

That other chan is retarded apparently. One thing is labor, water, fertility intensive, and requires processing, the other mostly takes care of itself, and gives fat and vitamin rich nutrition.

wut

Spend a day on Mackinac Island and tell me that again. They only allow horses and no cars I haven't smelled anything that bad in a major city save being right next to a dumpster.
Not like they do in India but during that time period there was obviously no plumbing, people shit into chamber pots and dumped them out in the street.
Again not a problem now thanks to modern technology, which goes back to my original point I would rather take air pollution over the air and smell from 3 century's ago like OP mentioned.

I've lived in the city for my entire life, I don't even know how to keep a garden

It's subtropical desert climate, one of the places with less precipitation in Europe but right next to the sea . Humidity now is 59%, average annual relative humidity is 72.8%.

Winter: 18 °C (64 °F) max, 8 °C (46 °F) min
Summer: 24 °C (75 °F) / 43 °C (109 °F)

Thanks.

Rabbits are good. Lot of protein per Sq ft.

Hey dumbass, actual farmer here. That's accounting for lack of synthetic fertilizer and crop loss/failure from inclement weather and pests. I use real-world facts and figures, non-ideal locations and events, not the imaginary best-case-scenario bullshit that accompanies every organicist's prognostications. Use crop production statistics from before the invention of the steel plow and try running your numbers again.

Four. Acres. Minimum.

But feel free to slowly starve to death eating rotting heirloom squash in the winter.

Skinny bitches that couldn't bear my children.

The original flag looks so much better than that rainbow multiculti fag shit

You should seed that if you're going to promote it because I'm stuck at 97%.
I'll look around >>>/pdf/ and see if they have anything relevant

I've had horses all my life. City people can fuck anything up though. And I meant a city where people still shit on sidewalks occasionally. Haven't been back since I found out.

Hey dumbass, lifetime garderner and redneck here, and worked for multiple farmers. No shit.

I'm not stupid enough to try to live off of corn and chickens. I can't picture a dumber plan. And my point is not the amount of land, but picking one of the worst crops possible.

I've long since learned squash isn't worth the effort. Roots and tubers is where it's at.

And animals. Lot's of animals. They do the work for you, and you're not tied to muh 4 acres

Grains would be a much better idea if you have the land anyway right?
Like wheat, millet, barley. Of course potatoes too like you said.
t. cityfag

Depends on a lot of things. But better idea then what? Animals?

You generally don't even need to feed them in the summer unless your land a shit or there's a drought. Most of the effort goes into hay making. Which you will need when the grass stops growing in winter.

If you have more than one bull, they will sometimes fight. Barbed wire fences will not stop or deter them in any way and will often be destroyed in the process. I recommend shooting them in the hind quarters with .22 birdshot to break it up.

I've been raising chickens for several years now, its retardedly easy. Real fast:

- Set up a gravity feeder
- Set up an automatic waterer from a hose
- Do the sand method over the deep litter method, trust me on this one

I just mark the eggs I want when a hen gets broody so I don't get confused, and she does the rest.

Yeah, all this crap about not using broody hens to do the damn thing nature has designed them to do is absolutely stupid. People get too attached to them as pets. They're cute, but I'll eat them without second thought.

Would you ever consider gelding bulls? Or any male livestock for that matter? I've heard they taste unique.

Especially since they do all the care and keeping them warm, and the chicks learn how to forage. I don't know if my original flock had bad genetics or their instincts have to be set at as babbies, but they could barely find food at all, couldn't catch bugs, wouldn't go out on mud or snow, were just plain retarded.

You just want some balls in your mouth.

Sounds like you had a bad breed perhaps? Probably bad genetics, yes. Some breeds are better foragers than others. Was your breed closer to broilers? They're dumb as rocks.

RIR and some sex linked layers, don't recall which. I don't mess with broilers, I can go kill a pheasant when I want meat.

The ones I've had added to the existing flocks learned quicker and were more adventurous. The ones raised with a hen are almost like wild birds, but they aren't a problem. They regularly jump 6 ft fences, but they always go back.

FWIW I haven't lost any chickens to heat and one year we had 45 consecutive days over 100 F. Regularly got to 110. -5F in winter, they've lost combs and I do turn on a heat lamp sometimes at night. Pick a breed for egg-laying, chickens don't make sense for meat except to thin the males and get rid of the old hens.

how well can chickens handle noise? dogs and traffic noise would be my main concern.

I don't know about dogs, I haven't had any in a while. The only thing that bothers them are surprises, birds of prey, and predators getting close. Visual stuff. As far as I know, noise won't bother them.

And I have of been shiting for all of mine, that doesn't mean I enjoy the smell.

They get used to it. My neighbor has four dogs and they go nuts. They eventually look up at the dogs and some get curious enough to go over, but don't bother them. If you are really concerned, get a rooster if you can. Some breeds crow less than others.

I've heard mixed things about RIR. I've had good experience with Plymouth Rocks and Easter Eggers. I have some Wyandottes that are loud as hell but they are pretty smart.

Raising your own animals to feed on in times of crisis or famine is only so helpful. I've played with the thought myself since I happen to live on a farm.

The hardest part will be to defend your resources to strangers and plunderers, since there won't be any police around to stop anyone from doing whatever they want. Hungry people will resort to whatever means nesesary to get their nutrition.

If you plan to survive the impending collapse of our civilisation you are better off to go to a small town with loads of farmers, and look for help there. If things like electricity and gasoline supply collapse, there will be plenty of work available.

Pros will be that you're in a community that feeds itself and protects itself. Like medieval times, knights protect the townsfolk and receive food and stuff.

Corn is expensive to grow properly, is incredibly easily damaged by animals, and have incredibly shitty yields. You can get around 120 bushels of organic corn per acre which amounts to 4200 pounds of shucked corn. while on the same land you can get 100 bushels of potatoes or about 6300 pounds of potatoes.

Unless you have the proper equipment or are putting in a food plot, don't grow fucking grain.

I know that some of you guys are going to starve to death or do something equally stupid.

The irish were getting like 85% of their calories from potatoes at one point and maintained relatively good health. They're a great option

Anyone ever look into raising snails for food? Seemed pretty interesting because of how little you need to get started and how readily available their food is. Not sure how many calories you can get but might be something to consider

I'm not calling you a liar, but if this were the case, we would have never stopped being hunter/gatherers, because it simply wouldn't have been worth the time or effort.

People turned to agriculture because agriculture offered more to people who had nothing than simply hunting and scrounging did.

There has to be something we're missing here.

No, hes fucking retarded. There are definitely ways to free-range chickens but many people don't live in climates where it is possible and/or for whatever reason don't have the 'right' kind of land vs 'engough' land.

If you have four acres next to a highly industrial area you're not going to get the same bug count as someone who has four acres deep innawoods. It just isn't the same thing. It absolutely can be done, but can most people do it? Probably not.

Good care of animals however is having space for them to roam and exhibit natural behavoirs, such as 'free ranging' for chickens. If your chickens can't forage a good portion of their diet, they're probably retarded, start over and try again.

Potatoes are a god-tier crop for anyone looking for something easy to start with that doesn't require a lot of space. I recommend potatoes over corn any day.

Better than some other options, I mean.
I actually have no clue what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I'd rather not starve to death so I figured I'd ask around a little bit. Later on I'll just go about researching this a bit. I'm a ways off from being a land owner so that's most of what I can do for the time being.

What kind of stuff would you recommend to an user who has no idea what he's doing? I know this is a shit question due to things like climate, soil conditions and I'm sure a huge number of other factors but a basic direction would be nice.

Grow hardy foods that aren't susceptible to native pests. Potatoes thive pretty much everywhere, require very little care, and store forever. If you want to can I'd suggest tomatoes and peppers, especially if you're in an area that is relatively unaffected by blight.
almanac.com/topics/gardening/gardening-help

I would recommend trying to grow some plants in your apartment and see how you like it before trying to make a living being a farmer. As I've said before I'm sure that 95% of you guys would starve to death the first winter.

Potatoes. Look up the 'barrel' method or ones similar. Real easy. Some types of peas are good for some areas if you want to try a climbing vine sort of thing. Hot peppers are easy too. Tomatoes. Sunflowers, if you have room for them.

[spoiler]some uncommon heirloom strains of corn are retardedly easy to grow but they drain the soil[/spoil]

Nice. Care to tell us a bit about that? How much land/resources/labour do they require compared to how much you get out of them? How well does the wool sell?

I meant it's nowhere near as offensive as most. The only thing less smelly I know of are animals that leave pelleted shit. They barely smell at all.

I might have had some sort of rock before, don't recall. Will look into.

You're right. The main thing about animals is that they are a high quality food compared to plants, they have feets, and they can find a lot or all of their own food. They are also easy to have get killed lost or injured, and second only to grain I imagine for getting taken from you.

There are many options, but europe flocked to the potato for good reasons. I have volunteer potatoes on untended land from 3 or 4 years ago. They've got a good amount of minerals and vitamins compared to most root crops, and are less fiber and useless shit compared to things like turnips.

That's disgusting. Next you'll suggest amphibians.

Grains require certain conditions that you will have to engineer through plowing, flooding, or the like. It can be easily destroyed, and it's very obvious. You must be present to harvest in a narrow window. Processing is complicated. There are problems with them for nutrition, but they can count for a large amount of your diet, store well to indefinitely, and make a large return from the amount of seed you have. At least compared to something like potatoes. Also easy to steal, as are herds.

A garden won't do a lot, but it's a great way to learn. Roughly what type of climate do you live in, city, suburb, etc.

It's not as bad as the nofunz saying they are saving up to buy an assault rifle (sic) if hillary gets elected.

Not politics.

How do you properly exterminatius infected potatoes? I planted a shop-bought potato and it had a virus (I swear the jewish fuckers intentionally innoculated it) so obviously it needed to be destroyed. But the problem is that years later I still keep digging up infected tubers trying to grow back.

How the hell is becoming self-sufficient for our own food worthy of a bumplock

whichever mod did this you are a faggot

Okay, I'll try out some kind of potato garden as a test run. Shouldn't be too hard.

Tomatoes and peppers will likely do well out here as well but I'll save that for a later time.

Suburb in southern commiefornia, so Mediterranean coastal desert type conditions. Looking to move to Norcal close to Oregon when I am able. Wouldn't hurt to try.

That way I don't shit up other states but I am far enough away from LA and San Fran to feel at ease

Heads up. Mods are compromised.

Faggots will shadowban the OP of a self-help thread while letting leafy-fag e-celeb cancer and literal cuck posts.

Move to the bunker. We are now completely infested with 4/pol/-tier cancer and reddit faggots.

>Also isn't it just a happy fucking coincidence that the banlist for Holla Forums is completely fucked? :^) It's totally a (((coincidence))).

You can grow pretty much whatever you want for annuals then, unless it's something that needs some cold.

Afraid to shit up elsewhere, degenerate detected

Potatoes are 80% water
Corn is 15%
Using your laughable ideal soil and weather numbers, that's 3570lbs of corn starch and 1260lbs potato starch, and you have to dig for them. Turning over 43000 cu ft of soil by hand is no small task.

The thought exercise was finding the minimum amount of land needed for subsistence. Dent corn and chicken eggs provide all the essential amino acids. In hotter climates, grain sorghum outperforms corn.

Grain and civilization developed hand in hand. You don't have one without the other.

Unless you have alkaline soil, clay soil, too much rain, too little rain, potato beetles, wireworms, corn borers or grubs. Susceptible to rot, have to be stored cool, dry and dark, and take up more room since they're all water.

Why the

FUCK

does anyone come to this fucking shit board anymore?

Have you ever lived for long periods on grains and beans to have 'complete proteins'? It's fucking retarded if you aren't a gook or arab who is bred to it.

Fuck all that anyhow, animals have all the essential amino acids.

Corn simply won't fucking make it without irrigation in many places. If it will in yours, and you have the soil to support it, go for it. Most of us don't live in iowa.

Forking potatoes up is easy, especially since it can be done over weeks or months. It only takes a couple of plants to get a days worth of potatoes, even if it's most of your diet. You don't have to turn the soil over to prepare it or to plant them.

I have alkaline soil, 8-30 in of rain varying in a year, and every pest under the sun, and my only losses are from getting half eaten or freezing/rotting in the winter, and it's not substantial.

I don't know, I had a bunch of storebought ones I planted in a spot and they had some bad shit, but it never spread and only about half of the plants would get it in that area, but did plant some tomatoes and peppers there which is a no-no and they did fine, and nothing has had it since.

I've seen a few good threads get deleted. If it becomes regular then this place is dead.

I know I will be leaving if they don't bumplock more of the obvious shill threads like whoever the current fem-e-celeb is.

I don't know where the bunker is, but I won't ask.

A common misconception about peppers is that they are a perennial; which is true in colder climates. But if you have them potted you can take them inside in the winter months and have them be protected from the cold