JShell

A JavaScript based unix shell with pure JavaScript configs

github.com/gngeorgiev/jshell

How does Holla Forums feel about the greatest new innovation in unix shell technology?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS
techiejs.com/Blog/Post/Yes-Modern-JavaScript-is-Compiled
node-os.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There is no hope for the future.
Soon the stock market will be rewritten in Javascript because it's trendy, and humanity will enter a new dark age after it comes tumbling down.

what does it do that the xkcd april fools joke from years ago doesn't

This one isn't a joke.

It can actually be your login shell, I assume the xkcd one couldn't do that

I think it's time for a ``final solution`` for javascript developers.

The next Node.js convention should have trains which lead to a special "coding camps"

TRIPS CONFIRM THE END IS NIGH

we need to contain this cancer to where it belongs: browsers

we need to remind people javascript is a prototyping language for non-production bullshittery, using it for anything else is a crime against real software engineering

What the hell did these guys smoke?

Oh, you thought that was bad?
github.com/NodeOS/NodeOS

Why cry? We are already in software hell.

It's when they start embedding node.js in the main control system of our nuclear deterrent that you should start really worrying.

Stop it. Things we joked about a few years ago are happening now. We can't keep denying that meme magic is real. We need to be more responsible with our memes.

look at this fool

Are you implying it isn't? If so I have bad news for you

Well, it's actually both compiled and interpreted.

techiejs.com/Blog/Post/Yes-Modern-JavaScript-is-Compiled

Here's a more thorough explanation of how it works

That's actually a great idea.
A shell isn't performance-sensitive nowadays, and JavaScript is unarguably a better language than Bash and Zsh.

As usual Holla Forums is unable to think and do anything else than spewing memes.

We love them because of their universality, not their elegance.

Without searching for it, can you tell me the syntax to initialize and get/set elements of an array in Bash?

If you managed to do it, can you now tell me how to make it work with variable indices?

You get the point.

Still better than GNU

node.js is a better language than bash for most purposes (not all of them), but you can't tell me that jshell is a better shell language when it doesn't seem to support piping. It claims it does, but "ls | tac" doesn't give any output.

Plus, this is not javascript converted to a shell, it's an incredibly limited shell implemented in javascript. That means you shouldn't be comparing javascript to bash, you should be comparing javascript to C and jshell to bash. And C is not a terrible language, and jshell sucks.

If you want a less terrible shell language, try rc or inferno sh.

Hey if we're doing scripting languages as shells, why not something that doesn't totally suck, like Lua

Or emacs

i guess they need to develop trash like this to rationalize their expensive webdev degree

Emacs comes with a usable shell written in elisp, actually. It has its own implementation of piping, that is slow, but portable to platforms like Windows and MS-DOS. It implements a few Unix tools, and it has a syntax that's based on rc. Elisp functions can be called as shell functions, and it also accepts proper elisp.

1. Found companies named after popular node packages.
2. Ask npm to remove said packages for infringing your copyrights.
3. Thousands of Javascript programs break and Javascript developers can't figure out how to fix them.

Go back to leddit

What's the point? Node.js is already an interpreter for JS and can lauch system programs (I assume, it would be really retarded if it couldn't)

Or just write a package that does something trivial like left-padding a string with spaces and then pull it from NPM and everything will fall apart. Webdevs give Pajeet a run for his money when it comes to gluing libraries together all day. At least Pajeet's code crumbles down on its own merits, not because some seven-line long package got pulled from a central repository.

I went to their website and clicked to blog button. Guess what?
Yeah... I'm not going to trust these people with anything.

That link has to be a parody, there is so much in it that triggers my autism.
Light years measure distance, not time
This is just wrong

Are there any interpreted languages that aren't "compiled" in the same sense he is explaining? This idiot has missed the one important thing: JS is JIT-compiled to native machine code on modern browsers instead of some VM bytecode. It's still an interpreted language though.

This thing is more convenient for running commands interactively. It accepts the most basic shell command syntax, has a prompt and history navigation, and has tab completion. But it's pretty shitty.

Good luck!

Jesus Christ, next you're going to be telling me someone's trying to write an OS in JavaScript.

Javascript is a fine embeded scripting language that's almost as easy to integrate as Lua is. Much easier to impliment than Python, Ruby, Perl, or whatever else.

Not sure if that'sthejoke but that's actually happening
node-os.com/

Red pill me on JavaScript please. I've heard so many times it's awful but I never tried to code in it. All I know is that it's used on websites

HowBoutNo

The main problem with JavaScript is that web developer faggots are trying to use JavaScript everywhere they possibly can. Every site requires 30 different domains to be allowed to serve JavaScript, and now that cancer is spreading to everywhere else. PC Applications are being made with JavaScript, shells, operating systems, etc. Anywhere these faggots can shoehorn JavaScript they do. If JavaScript were to be used sparingly no one would likely have a problem with it, but it's not. Websites require JavaScript to just to display text these days which is pure fucking cancer.

To be fair, that last part isn't really JS's fault, but the fault of strict content/presentation division under the formalized XHTML+CSS standard being rejected in favor of the HTML5 shitshow, especially with Google/Apple's "our browser's source code is the standard" statement.

Web markup languages aren't solidified enough to write advanced formatting in anymore.

Got it. But isn't it kinda neat that some people are doing stuff like OS in Java script ? Not for serious use of course, but just show it can be done

The way I see there is a correct tool to use for every job. JavaScript isn't the correct tool for a lot of these jobs where it is being forced. These people are mostly just lazy to learn how to use other tools so they use their hammer for everything which leads to ugly results

I remember writing something like that when I was 12, with a fucking Delphi.