The case of the atheist pastor

One wonders if, in liberal Protestantism, there is any minimum religious belief that is necessary in a pastor. Or in a Christian or a member of the church. For example, does a pastor (or Christian, or church member), have to believe in God? The United Church of Canada is having to make a decision about this, as it reviews the case of one of its ministers, Greta Vosper, who is an atheist and who teaches atheism from her pulpit.

PREDICTION: Pastors in the United Church will not be required to believe in God. Nor will church members. Christians may be atheists. And atheists will be considered Christians. To their great annoyance.

patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/2016/04/the-case-of-the-atheist-pastor/

thestar.com/news/insight/2016/02/21/meet-the-united-church-minister-who-came-out-as-an-atheist.html

“I do not believe in a theistic, supernatural being called God,” says Gretta Vosper, the United Church of Canada minister who has led West Hill since 1997. “I don’t believe in what I think 99.99% of the world thinks you mean when you use that word.” Tor her, God is instead a metaphor for goodness and a life lived with compassion and justice.

theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/24/atheist-pastor-canada-gretta-vosper-united-church-canada

Battling the gods was a common enough trope in the Greek imagination that they had a word for it: theomachia. One might think that stories about gods as threats to humans must imply a strong belief in their existence. But Whitmarsh argues that theomachy stories express “a kind of atheism, through the narrative medium of myth”. One key example is the archaic tale of Salmoneus, who claimed to be Zeus, demanded sacrifices to be offered to himself, and created thunder by dragging kettles around behind his chariot. Whitmarsh suggests that this story raises disturbing questions for believers in the gods: “If gods can be fashioned by mortal imitation, how real can they be?”

theguardian.com/books/2016/mar/09/battling-the-gods-atheism-ancient-world-review

Other urls found in this thread:

chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp
youtube.com/watch?v=Y2xv3XwOVaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=i7iycpe16V0
8ch.net/leftypol/
rationalresponders.com/noah039s_ark_tops_quot10_stupidest_religious_beliefsquot
atheistforums.org/thread-23268.html
books.google.com/books?id=eGIyAQAAMAAJ
archive.is/qsk0I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"The waters of life can flow from the mouth of a dead dog."

Polite sage and suggestion to
>>>/christian/

Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

1 Timothy 2:11-12

And the lesbian athiest Bishop of Stockholm wants all signs of Christianity removed because she 'feels Christianity is offensive.

Christianity=Cuckold religion

Op, stop being such a cuck.

Logic isn't your strong suit.

wut

Think I've isolated your problem.

Didn't we have a whole thread as to how the guardian is anti-white? OP needs to fuck off and archive the links.

There thus arose a phenomenon, parallel
to that to which we have referred in the case of philosophy, as an
inevitable consequence of the dissolution of doctrine and the disappearance
from religion of its intellectual elements. From rationalism,
religion was bound to sink into sentimentalism, an_QJt is in the
Anglo-Saxon countries that the most striking examples of this are to
be found. What remains is therefore no longer even a dwindling and
deformed religion, but simply 'religiosity', that is to say vague and
sentimental aspirations unjustified by any real knowledge: to this
final stage correspond theories such as that of the 'religious experience'
of William James, which goes to the point of finding in the
'subconscious' man's means of entering into communication with
the divine. At this stage the final products of religious and of philosophical
decline mingle together and 'religious experience' becomes
merged in pragmatism, in the name of which a limited God is stipulated
as being more 'advantageous' than an infinite God, insofar as
one can feel for him sentiments comparable to those one would feel
for a higher man. At the same time, the appeal to the 'subconscious'
joins hands with modern spiritualism and all those 'pseudo-religions'
characteristic of our age. In another direction, Protestant
moralism, having gradually eliminated all doctrinal basis, has ended
62 THE CRISIS OF THE MODERN WORLD
by degenerating into what is called 'lay morality', which counts
among its adherents the representatives of all the varieties of 'liberal
Protestantism', as well as the open enemies of every religious idea;
fundamentally, both groups are guided by the same tendencies, and
the only difference is that not all go equally far in the logical development
of everything that these tendencies imply. - Rene Guenon Crisis of the Modern World

Think the bible was written with a looking glass into the present day? Pretty much all of the stuff that are mortal sins are running rampant today.

Look at her face. Twenty bucks says she's a crypto-Jew.

This is why the Bible said no woman should ever teach a man or hold authority over him. There is more wisdom in forbidding female teachers and disbarring women from ever holding positions of authority than modernity dares itself to believe. Women cannot turn boys into men. Women, when given authority and power, cannot be trusted to make sound judgement. They cannot lead like men can.

Cuckianity and atheism are how we got here.

If we embraced the true faith of our fathers we could strike back like the warriors we are.

You're the nigger who was outed as a shill months ago. One of his hallmarks was shitposting Thor everywhere. I see you're still at it. Filtered and reported.

I'm a cuck. As in, I enjoy cuckoldry as a fetish.

Is being one a bad thing?

That's because the ones who brought these things about (the Jews), serve Satan, who is the enemy of God and Mankind.

Sage because this doesn't belong on Holla Forums.

the Holocaust would have been very fucking real

Sorry, but all pagan religions come from Babylon during the one-world monocultural reign of Nimrod. Paganism is as authentically European as Argentinians are white.

Odin = Jupiter = Zeus = Ra = Vishnu = Nimrod
Freya = Diana = Aphrodite = Isis = Isi = Semiramis
Baldur = Attis = Dionysius = Horus = Krishna = Tammuz

The only true God that actually exists is Jesus, and anyone who believes in Him is part of the chosen people.

No, this is what archeology actually teaches.

The only legitimately monotheistic and true religion is the religion of Abraham (of which Christianity is the ongoing continuation of).

Every other faith is either derived from Babylon, or is just nature worship savagery.

What the fuck am I reading?

hahahahahhaa

Judaism is essentially Atenism you cuck, archaeology literally proves this.

You mean the youtube video you saw about archeology and the part 2 about how the jews secretly buried fossils to test our faiths.

Sorry, degenerated Atenism, Christianity was part of a good few attempts to revive Judaism.

Ancient Catholics should have cleansed the Protestants better and modern Catholics should cleanse the church of kikes.

#busted as fuck

chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Romans should have cleansed Europe of jews so we wouldn't have to deal with any kind of Abrahamism.

Reported for intl.

Do you clean up after the bull?

Shit nigger, if you put it that way I might even want to call myself…do they still call themselves cowboys?

If only Rome had done to Judea what Rome had done to Carthage.

Reported for intl.

Abraham's religion predates Atenism. Atenism isn't even truly monotheistic. It worships Aten as a god of gods, but it acknowledges other gods as existing. It's kind of like hinduism. And Egyptian paganism derives from Babylon. There are many parallels between the two.

Yes. Here's a video showing the modern day remains of Sodom and Gomorrah, complete with evidence indicating that the site was burned to a crisp by 99% pure sulfur. youtube.com/watch?v=Y2xv3XwOVaQ

Here's another one for Noah's ark being found near Mt. Ararat. youtube.com/watch?v=i7iycpe16V0

I think you need a reality check and a sanity check

Civilization was very advanced before the flood.

To be fair it did take Noah 120 years to build the ark, and Ham is likely trying to build a boat, not a box. Somewhere we got the idea that the ark was a boat of some kind, when if you look at the dimensions of it, it's just a box.

8ch.net/leftypol/

So how many other stories in the Bible are fables that were passed on by the Jews? The Bible even warns us to avoid Jewish fables.

THE BIBLE [NEW TESTAMENT] IN IT'S ORIGINAL UNADULTERATED FORM, IS A WARNING AGAINST JEWS

There exists no complete, unedited text.

Think about it. Who are the majority of bad guys in the bible? jews.

Take a look at the good Samaritan. He was passed on the path by many Traders (((MERCHANTS))).

They were jews, just a different sect from the rabbinical jews of the Babylonian school. Over the millennium they have branched away into something different.

Come on Christcuck. You are supposed to worship jews. The least you could do is act like you actually know what you are talking about.

Your D&C memes are neither convincing nor do they refute the video that was posted, and are therefore irrelevant.

Specifically, a priest and a levite passed him by, both of which were jews.

The Samaritans were a mixed people due to enrichment during the Assyrian conquest of the northern 10 tribes. As a result, Jews of that time (and ever since) did not consider Samaritans to be Jews, and Samaritans didn't (and don't) consider themselves Jews either. In fact they both hated each other.

Samaritans consider themselves jews. The actual jews and that the rabbinical jews are just faggots, like you. As for being mixed people you would be hard pressed to be an even bigger genetic sewer than the modern jews we all know and talk about. Why else do you see shit like Drumpf's son in law with blonde hair?

don't cheapen the message
the bible is perfect

and it is the ultimate and final redpill on the accursed juden

Modern Jews aren't the same as the Jews of 2000 years ago, because genetics change over time, especially when you become a nomadic people and mix with every different people you encounter. The Samaritans however didn't leave, they stayed there and are still there. So you're only helping to prove my point that they're not the same.

Message, yes. The current way it's shared, no.

This. It wasn't even a religion until ~1k years ago. Same with islam being a younger religion.

It's what bugs me about the "abrahamic" religion lie that so many people believe.

A jew back then was simply just someone from Jerusalem. They were still disgusting people, but the cult hadn't taken hold.

I'll take "What Were The Pharisees" for 300, please.

The New Testament wouldn't have shit on them if "the cult hadn't taken hold." It would not have taken an antisemitic stance unless there was something worth being antisemitic about.

"The cult" is at least three thousand years old, and goes all the way back to Babylon. Being a kike was an ancient institution when Jesus was born. The entire Old Testament is one giant chronicle of the fall from grace of the original Jews. The last book of the Old Testament explicitly states that God became so fed up with them that he turned all of the blessings they once had into curses, to plague and hound them forever as long as they opposed him.

You're a retard.

I mean "taken hold" to mean what being a jew means today. What they have today. The jew was still a loathsome creature. The difference is that there wasn't this global control.

Oh wait. You're one of the "Jesus was a religious jew" faggots. Whatever, filtered.

Chick Tracts are magnificently overblown.

I agree with both of you, so I suspect you're just misunderstanding each other. The evil "mystery religion" (aka Satanism) that lies behind modern Judaism goes back to the original Babylon during the Tower of Babel period, but the modern cult we call Judaism today reached its distinct Rabbinical / Talmudic form after Christ and after the destruction of Jerusalem.

I always mulled about being an openly atheist pastor purely due to Christianity's undeniable cultural, historical, and philosophical significance in Western civilization. None of this "United Church" new age fluffy crap, though. If I went through with it, I'd be a stickler for theological accuracy, so my sermons and services would be done as close to traditional doctrines (probably go with Presbyterian or Lutheran) as would be practical in these modern days.

Well the Bible has been the same for thousands of years, don't call anything that goes against it Christianity. There are probably thousands of 'Christian' denominations that push gay marriage and whatever else you can think of. Also I think we all know what the real power behind Catholics is as this point.

you think any real christian will be coming to ur church? lol

it's a fucking myth

I know, any deviation from the rcc is just gentiles acting lime jewz

Teach me your ways, oh wise one

Christianity = politically incorrect religion, you mean.

wow the bible sure just got BTFO by this century's greatest math and history experts over at 9gag.

I SUFFER NOT A WOMAN TO TEACH

1 Timothy 2
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

What would Jesus do?

CAST HER INTO A BED OF GREAT TRIBULATION AND KILL HER CHILDREN WITH DEATH
Revelations 2
18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass;
19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.
20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.
21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.
22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.
23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

does this factor for animal size?

they could have all been baby animals

m8 thats revelation. i dont think its telling you to kill a womens children…

Its telling you what Jesus himself would do, has done, will do about it. The Bible says women should be in subjugation to their husbands who rule over them, calling them Lord even as Sara called Abraham. The relationship between a man and his wife is like that between Christ and the church.

Women should NEVER teach the Bible. In all honesty I would advocate for her being torn away from the pulpit into the streets and beaten bloody.

Man is the glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. That is to say, a man is made in the image of God, but a woman is made in the image of a man. Women are not made in God's image, they have no place teaching men under any circumstances. A woman teaching a man would be like man trying to teach God–abomination!

3,000,000 is a ridiculous number. For comparison there are about 5,500 confirmed mammal species. Now consider that sometimes the distinctions between species are somewhat arbitrary for the ark's purposes; you wouldn't need three species of tiger, just one species.

First subtract all the plants, and then animals that live in the sea. That accounts for at least several gorillion of your 3 gorillion. Now subtract all the species of microorganisms. Supposedly there are several gorillion of those also.

We're going about this the wrong way. It says every animal in whose nostrils were the breath of life was put onto the ark. This excludes sea creatures, plants, and bugs, none of which have nostrils. We can be generous and include amphibians.

This also includes all the duplicate species ie multiple warblers with slightly different ranges and songs, etc

Mammals = 5500
Amphibians = 6000
Birds = 10,000
Reptiles = 8000

29500 x 2 = 59000 + 4 = 59004

This leaves about 8 square inches on average

Small, but this is a very rough estimate, so its reasonable.

Cultural Christianity is fine and dandy. But. You don't make a "cultural Christian" the pastor. Is that so hard to understand?

The Romans razed Jerusalem to the ground in 70 AD, slaughtering every man, woman, and child. They burned the second temple to ashes. Most of the "Judeans" were killed, those living in exile throughout the empire were mainly Edomites and converts. Ashkenazim are Khazars, Huns, and 20+ other tribes of course. Very few Judeans at the time of Jesus were of the tribe of Judah; Jesus and all of his disciples except Judas Iscariot were Judahites from Galilee. Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Light. No one comes to the Father except through Him

Unless they're all bacteria and insects I don't think making them younger gets them to fit into 6.5mm^2

This shit goes back way further than Babylon. There was a one world culture that seeded all religions languages , and cultures (all the ones that matter anyway) ten thousand years ago.

Well there's your problem. The Bible doesn't contradict micro-evolution (variations within a species), so you won't need 3 million.

Like, they didn't have all the dog breeds and every type of canine. They just had whatever the common ancestor for wolves, jackals, foxes, dingos, and dogs were. And then those two canines went off to become all the different species of canines that we know today.

Do this for every type of animal and you can very easily cut that number down to a few thousand.

Also, they didn't have any bugs or fish, either. The Bible is clear that only animals that breath through nostrils were used. Bugs and fish can survive a flood just fine.

Salty.

Also:
The whole world flooding is likely bullshit, but so is the "local flood lol" rebuttal atheists are so fond of.

We're finding cities made of stone off the coasts of places like India. This suggests a massive rise in sea level some time in the very distant past.

One theory that's been floated, which I feel is likely the "most correct" in terms of accuracy, is that there was some form of semi-advanced human civilization (advanced as in bronze age) at the end of the ice age, and the mass thawing of the ice killed all of civilization by raising the sea levels by a hundred feet or more. This would have drowned all of the cities and settlements in the coastal areas or lowlands, and driven the survivors into the mountains and highlands with nothing but what they were wearing on their backs.

The story of Noah is probably just a story, but it is important story, because it seems to be the chronicle of a very real apocalypse that took place in prehistory, the only surviving records of which appear to be oral stories that were passed down by the survivors as a warning to their descendants. Further evidence of this apocalypse can be taken in the incidental coincidence that "agriculture" was developed seemingly simultaneously across a large swath of the world. This has never had a particularly satisfying explanation before, beyond simply chalking it up to sheer coincidence, but the prehistory flood story provides another explanation: agriculture was not being developed, but remembered. Those who fled the rising waters that drowned their villages and homes would not have been able to carry away much of anything, but they would have retained any knowledge they already had, one of which would have been the ability to work the land.

Agriculture may have sprung up seemingly simultaneously because it was being put into practice by apocalyptic survivors who already knew how to do it. This is even further collaborated by so many different civilizations and cultures who are wholly divorced from one another all sharing stories of an ancient flood, which supports the idea of one actually having occurred, and the memory and warning of it having been passed down orally into more 'modern' ancient times, where it was recorded in religious texts and cultural mythologies.

Humanity seems to have survived multiple "apocalypses" in its past, one of which very likely a global scale flood, to the tune of a massive rise in sea level.

The whole thing would be more along the lines of accurate historical and theological re-enactment for cultural preservation. Merely appealing to the popular religious fads of the day like a "real" pastor would defeat the whole point.

How retarded can you get?

We are talking about people who believe that one guy built a 450-foot wooden boat and somehow put two of every animal (and seven of every "clean" animal) on it, including the animals living on continents that hadn’t been discovered yet (which means he also must have discovered and explored all of the Americas and Australia, not to mention climbed the Himalayas what for to fetch the yaks), and kept them all alive and fed and playing nicely with one another for forty days, and then got them back to where they all lived, and okay fuck this, because we refuse to be reduced to pointing out flaws in the story of Noah’s Ark
rationalresponders.com/noah039s_ark_tops_quot10_stupidest_religious_beliefsquot

If you believe in Noah's Ark, you are a certifiable moron …
atheistforums.org/thread-23268.html

I love it when fedoras think they understand the Bible, it's so adorable.

That's how a leftist argues.

If I remember rightly, the Ark apparently was not a boat in the strict sense, but more like a cube or container, according to the measures given. Please look it up.

Coming back late to the thread, had work. Something else a lot of people miss about the history of the ark is how many animals were on the ark. The text in Genesis clearly says that Noah took two of every kind, not two of every animal, but two of every kind. If you actually read the text it says that once the flood waters rose everything that walked, crawled or swarmed, everything that had in the breath of life in it died, only Noah and that which was on the ark was spared.

So, the numbers for the critters in your image are likely way overestimating how much was in the ark

Amen … lot of idiots on Holla Forums but every once in while somebody shows up who gets it.

Read the 500 page version if you don't like cartoons.

books.google.com/books?id=eGIyAQAAMAAJ

She's the Swedish Bishop ya dummy, not an atheist.

First church to OK faggots….no surprises ever

Get's what, the Jew Bullshit?

i got a sweet ass theory for the flood but its probably bs and unscientific:

the land is floating above a sea of water underground (or reservoirs). water bubbles up to feed plants because no rain.

noah gets in his boat

fountains of the deep open up (earth splits and water is pushed out of underground reservoirs). this is the beginning of plate tectonics. i should have said this earlier but the earth layers are like this: core, mantle, WATER/steam, crust. or perhaps mantle doesnt exist because no plate tectonics to melt yet.

so water bursts out onto the surface, the crust shrinks to fill the gap. there is now more crust than surface area coverable (think of a deflating balloon and the wrinkles). this turns into the mountains and troughs.

noah is chilling in his boat above but below him is very violent plate tectonics happening (break up of gondwanaland) below.

and thats my theory

[tipping intensifies]

cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
cumskin
pussies

Of course she's a fucking atheist. There's a concept you need to learn about, I think youth old enough to hear it. Well you remembrance last year when you discovered that babies aren't delivered by a stork?

Similar thing, its called "telling lies", something leftists consider morally equivalent to telling the truth, in fw t, perhaps superior so long as a leftist or w minority benefits from the lie.

Sorry to break it to you so abruptly.

Is this person retarded? Salmoneus was basically a human pretending at the end of the story got himself punished for hubris. That's a typical and common tale across all myths from Greek to fucking Tolkien.

There is water deep in the earth, more than all the oceans combined. Not saying that's what caused the deluge but it has been scientifically documented to exist, was discovered a couple of years ago only.

archive.is/qsk0I

Maybe gravitational disruption from a passing large body (huge asteroid/planetoid/unknown solar system planet with strange orbit etc) could have caused enough force to displace thousands of square km of water, then after the planet passed out of range, the hydrostatic pressure of the water forced it back whence it came.

What's wrong with fairy tales?

They think that "trope" means the same as "theme" or "motif" so yes, they are retarded and obtain their daily language from Anita Sarkeesian's tweets.

If you want to know what trope actually means:

global.britannica.com/art/trope-rhetoric

No.

The fact there's a similarity of gods and their Providences across the Indo-European religions is nothing weird. Really it's the same as finding similar cultural norms or even things as obscure as for example, the wakazashi and the parrying dagger arising at the same time in Japan and Italy, simultaneously, and used in the same manner.

Universal truths are applicable no matter the culture.

Christianity shares a LOT in common here. Saints are a sort of lesser gods. You can see a lot of similarity for example between Mary and figures like Freya, now which one inspired the other that you can argue, but it's there.

It's the truth of the creator being expressed through the sub creators.

so many homos on this board right now. i wish they'd stop spamming

Roman Catholicism is not Christianity. It is Roman paganism mixed with Christianity.

No. According to what the Bible actually says, a saint is a believer. "Christian" was actually originally meant to be an insult. The original, Biblical term for believers were saints. A saint is not someone who's a demi-god or super righteous or whatever. Those are Catholic heresies and have nothing to do with the Bible.

In the Bible, Mary is barely mentioned, is not an eternal virgin (she has other kids), and, like any human, is even acknowledged as a sinner in need of a savior.
Mary worship is another major Catholic heresy that comes from the mother goddess element of Roman paganism, which comes from the original mother goddess worship found in Babylon.