Futuristic Sci-fi/Dystopian Films

Continuing from the last thread, i wasn't really a futuristic sci-fi fan until i read the last thread, it gave me a good amount of great films to watch.

Now i can't get enough, do you all have any recommendations for films, tv shows, games etc set in a futuristic setting. I'm new to this genre but here are a few of my favorites so far (pic related)

Other urls found in this thread:

simonstalenhag.se/
werealive.com/listen/
imdb.com/title/tt0089869/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not futuristic but technically sci-fi, The Man In The High Castle takes place in a world where the Nazis and the Japs won the war.

dunno what you'd call this (podcast/audio drama?) but it was posted in the last thread and was pretty fuckin neat

moar like this?..

City of lost Children is one of my favorites. Is kinda old now though.

tell us more. This looks interesting.

Any indie futuristic films? i;ve always figured they wouldn't have the money for crazy cgi so i never looked into it

Does the new JJ Star Wars movie count?Minimal CGI in there and I loved it. Hated all his Star Trek though.

I've never seen the Star Wars films, are they worth the hype?

What the fuck is this? Nothing with that title looks anything close on IMDB. These stills (or paintings?) look interesting af

Cerebral sci-fi directed by Andrei Tarkovsky. This guy also did Solaris. ← a must-fucking-see for any sci-fi fan. It was later redone with George Clooney as lead lel. Skip the Clooney version ffs.
Anything by him is worth watching.

Oh shit haha my bad i should have mentioned it wasn't a movie, i was just dumping a few pics related to the theme. They are paintings by an artist named Simon Stålenhag check out his shit, its all really neat futuristic type stuff

simonstalenhag.se/

I'm the one who posted Stalker, and I thought the Soderburgh remake was actually pretty great

Of Solaris of course

Only if you can find the unedited versions of the first 3 and the last one. Episodes 1 -3 are crap made by someone who had too much power for anyone under him to tell him they sucked.

I saw Solaris. Loved it. Never saw the cloony version as I dislike him.

Not exactly thread-related, but has anyone seen this? I'm about to watch it.

Why are they better unedited? I saw revenge of the sith (i think) when it came out in theaters, buti was a kid so i dont remember shit

I literally just watched that an hour or so ago. It was actually alright. I'm very much against low-grade, shitty films, too, but this didn't bother me that much in terms of quality for some reason.

Nice. Judging by the trailer, I thought it looked promising.

If you can tolerate Bruce Dern and 1970's cheese, Silent Running was breddy neat-o

Well the special effects sucked on the old ones and if he had just redid that they would have been fine. To bad he changed many things that made the first ones good.

That one made me sad. Poor Huey Dewy and Lewy.

To be honest, I watched it on a complete whim. The Netflix description was so bizarre I just said "Fuck it, we're going on an adventure."

Given that I want to write movie scripts professionally someday, I figured this was a terrible movie to learn from, so I hit play.

Have you heard of Kowloon?
It was a cyberpunk city in real life.
It's gone now though.

I actually recently heard about it, i saw photos of the exterior and i thought it was pretty fucking neat. Does anything like this exist?

Also what exactly is Cyberpunk? I just got into the futuristic stuff and ive been seeing that term mentioned a lot

If you're looking for another good one to watch on Netflix, check out The Duke of Burgundy – if you like Art Films, then you'll love it.

It pretty much refers to subject matter that mainly revolves around the internet, virtual reality, and Hackers.

The gist is "Low life, High technology"
Think AKIRA, Ghost in the shell, The Matrix, Blade Runner. Ect.
Check out >>>/cyber/

This is similar, its not futuristic but post apocalyptic with zombies and shit. This one has actual audio effects though its not just a person reading

that also falls under the category of cyberpunk.
You should see Serial Experiments Lain.

any more videos like this, they're so cool.

That's a perfectly concise way to describe it

Yeah, I've thought up a few stories related to the genre, wanna take a listen to my ideas? I'm going to make a comic out of it.

Shoot

Yeah dude the show is called We're Alive i don't think all episodes on Youtube so here is the website so you can listen to all 4 seasons.
werealive.com/listen/

If you finish the series listen to Lockdown (its on the same link) its delves deeper into one of the prisons you'll learn about soon in We're Alive

what exactly is that? a movie?

lets hear it dude

Ohh alright i think i have an idea of what it is, like Deus Ex?

Yeah, exactly

this is absolutely beautiful

Either user is brewing up a storm of autism, or he got got cold feet and fucked off.

first

Kek I hope not

The concept of the story I have in mind is rooted in another, a small story of a vampire hunter, in the story, it's not too important, but it is the chronological beginning of the setting. The gist of the story (Which I drew it up in sophomore year, I have no idea where it is now,) is; the bastard son of a Spanish aristocrat and a peasant woman in 1800's Mexico discovers that vampires are present in the town he lives in when a weak vampire attacks him in his sleep, to his surprise after getting bit, the vampire began burn alive, as his blood is completely caustic to vampires. He takes up vampire hunting, and eventually discovers more oddities in the world, all a result of a strange material that distorts and bends reality when various things are done to it, such as running a current through it. The comic never really got too far into it, as it was just an excuse to have theses weird occurrences in an otherwise normal earth. There was enough present on earth to cause such strange creatures to exist, but come the 1900s, A massive explosion rocks Siberia, bringing in thousands of tonnes of the stuff, this has the effect you'd expect, it wasn't world ending, but things where stranger from that point on. WWII comes around, and the axis powers comes to attain a large quantity of the stuff, they manufacture a weapon of mass destruction with it, and bomb London, The US had just developed its own WMD, the nuke, then they nuke japan, thus ending the war in a stalemate.
Now for the cyberpunk story
I haven't really nailed down the setting, but it has to take place in a mega city with an intense Asian influence, think Hong Kong.
The previous war had left the area the city was in a political gray area, as such it became a haven for just about anyone, gangsters, political fugitives, multinational corporations, and secret societies. Law is loose in this town, and the levels of violence are sky rocketing, the cities council (Made up of businessmen, and various aristocrats) hires multiple paramilitary factions to act as a form of law reinforcement. These Companies are ridiculously competitive, fighting for territory and funds, just like a bunch of glorified gangs. Not to be confused with actual gangs, who control the massive slums of the cities, massive structures of retched squalor and misery. One of these gangs was home to a man named Macready, and he adopted an orphan, a son. His son lived quite comfortably with him and his family, but as a figure head of a large gang, he was a constant target for gangs, and police. One day the cops manage to nab him, and through him in the slammer, one practically run from the inside by a rival gang. The rival gang contacts his son, and hold the life of his adopted father hostage. The ultimatum they give him: Make hits for us, or your father dies. Not wanting to see his father killed, he accepts, now a soldier for men that would like to see him dead, he's forced to run head first in situations so dangerous they'd be the end of the average man. (Part 1)

Not a big fan of vampire stories, in general, but I like the idea of a guy whose blood is poisonous to vampires.

As for the Cyberpunk story, the general idea seems solid. I like the idea of a character whose duality is forced upon him.

(continued)
The son begins to work for the gang, at first working as a street punk in incredibly dangerous neighborhoods, often time fighting dozens of delinquents at a time, despite the odds against him, he manages to not only survive but thrive, eventually becoming a small urban legend in the area (can you see where this is going,)
The sons reputation is duly noted by his "Employers" and they task him increasingly more difficult and dangerous assassination missions. Often out numbered and outgunned, he still some how manages to make it out of each situation alive, eluding both death, and law enforcement. This continues until his employers decide that he's too dangerous to be allowed to live, thus they send a hit squad to kill him. Naturally they fail, the son then is notified that his father had been killed in a prison riot, no doubt orchestrated by the mafia clan that he had been working for, feeling seething anger, he goes on a one man war against the very people he worked for, destroying the organization thoroughly, On his final assault on their headquarters, he is heavily wounded, and his captured by authorities. The court sympathizing with him refuse to give him the chair, but give him the equivalent instead, serving as the point man for a police forces' suicide squad. It's here where he begins to encounter various spooks and monsters, like werewolfs, psykers, and vampires.

And all this is the cobbled together backstory to a quest I'm running.

Ok, you went off the fuckin rails at the end with the supernatural shit, but all in all, I think it has potential.

Just make sure you do your best to keep the autism in check, and if you can manage that, then I'd be interested to see the finished product.

well, the supernatural elements are going to be underplayed, the situation would be like any other one but somewhere along the line shit would start getting weird.

and it won't be a major element in the story.

Nice

Also, if you're the one who recently saw Deathgasm, I'm watching it right now and it's fucking amazing – definitely one of the funniest I've seen in a while.

Kek, I heard a HL2 Foley sound effect

One of my favorites. Must see…

imdb.com/title/tt0089869/

Yeah i've definitely heard some stock sounds being used, hell the intro music is stock just tweaked a bit haha. The producer/director had a hard time coming up with money so i wouldn't doubt that he used free samples lol its still really good shit though

Nice, sorta reminds me of Daybreakers minus the whole mafia part

eh the vampire elements aren't going to be that prominent.

Any more like this? preferably with audio effects like the second one

lets keep this going anons, fuck the spammer

its my ultimate fantasy just to roam the world and not having to socialize with anyone. top tier thread

?

Someone was spamming the catalog, last time it happened the whole board was wiped thus why the last sci-fi thread was lost

I'm the guy who posted the story concept, would y'all be so kind to check out
>>>/quests/ ?
If you were on Holla Forums 'round February, you might have seen my other quest thread.

About to watch Serial Experiments Lain, i'm not a fan of anime at all but giving it a shot. will report back in a bit

for some reason that first photo fucking depresses me

On the first episode, what the actual Fuck is this?

I was considering watching it, myself. Worth it?

As the main theme reminds you.
"And you don't [FUCKING] understand"

I'm only 12 minutes Kek but its cool so far, I was just confused as Fuck during the first couple of minutes

It was like Acid the movie

Lane is a qt

lain is bae

This is my first time watching an anime, kinda weird but neat so far

Lain is qt af

Damn you had a movie that I hadn't seen, and it looked fucking cool.

Demolition Man
about a society that becomes cucked, weak and feminized. Pretty much what we will have in 5 years.

Haha my bad man, the paintings are really fucking neat though

any good?

I'm only on the 3rd episode but its been dope so far! It's my first time watching an anime so I'm still getting used to the way its done but its been cool so far

I'm a fan of the show so I guess my opinion is biased, but the show is fascinating! I expected way less from an Amazon original, was proved wrong though!

Shout out my mans

Obergruppenführer Smith

Ffs forgot photo

Children of Men.

I haven't seen any TV shows mentioned so heres one

Colony: Not sure what specific year it takes place in but its definitely in the future. Los Angeles has been invaded and occupied by outside forces who has put a giant wall separating the city(trumparoni) causing a rift between the city's residents; some have collaborated with the occupation, while others are rebelling and suffering the consequences that come with that choice. Former FBI agent Will Bowman and his wife, Katie, must consider their familial obligations when making their decision because they were separated from their son, Bram, during the invasion. Proxy Snyder, a cunning and powerful leader within the occupational government, offers Will the opportunity to get Bram back if he works with the invading faction. Will's decision doesn't sit well with Katie, but the couple risk their lives – and their relationship – to protect their family.

Nothing beats Children of Men imo

There's also
The Divide (life in a bunker as the world ends) 7/10
Extinction (post-apocalyptic world inhabited by mutants-like creatures. Not your average Hollywood slash/gore type of movie. Actually has substance) 8/10
Automata (Movie about AI) 8.5/10
Snowpiercer (Life on earth is extinct, and the only humans are on train which runs around the world indefinitely) 9/10

FUCK YES Automata, i've seen anons giving it a lot of shit but i fucking loved that movie

I'll have to check out Extinction and The Divide! I might have to watch Snowpiercer again as well, i didnt get that shit

And how could I forget Threads.. About a nuclear war breaking out, and the horrors of an atomic bomb attack. Dark, gritty and extremely depressing. One of the best movies in the genre.

Cool man, glad you agree. And yeah, Snowpiercer got pretty confusing towards the end. It's a hell of a movie..

The Divide is pretty brutal.

There's also Blindness, based on a besteller book by Jose Saramago. About a virus that turns people blind, which of course plunges the world into chaos.

Last Night: The world has six hours left until an asteroid hits and wipes out humanity.

bumping for more like these two

The setting seems interesting, but like all movies I bet it depicts the Nazis as evil monsters who killed 6 billion Jews in gas chambers built after the war in bathrooms with crappy doors, not to mention the holocoasters.

eh to be fair the Nazi's were assholes. Obviously you'll feel differently if you agree with their ideals.

The show itself cool though,Its interesting seeing everything Nazi-fied, lol

Jsut found out about the Kowloon walled city and i'm fascinated, is there anything like this irl?

just finished watching blade runner ,it was good but not great 7/10

yeah its has pretty neat visuals

yeah for its time theyre pretty stunning,but we cant fall into the trap of judgin a movie by visuals only because then we might believe interstellar was actually good

Eh idk, there are some movies i like where it just about the visuals and/or concept. I don't look for elite directing in what i watch, i just take it at face value

makes things a lot easier to enjoy

visuals are one part ,and certainly an important part in cinema but the plot is the backbone of a film and the stronger it is the better. a great plot is good at face-value and amazing when you take an in-depth look at it
one of the reasons michael haneke is one of my favorite directors

Good plots are equally important as execution i guess, just look at The Purge. Incredibly cool concept (imo) but POORLY done. I just saw the newest one and it was shit as expecte

yeah the world is filled with great ideas and concepts executed poorly which is a terrible shame

Just finished watching Serial Experiments Lain and i can see why you fuckers like this anime shit

Lain is a qt pie btw

kys

Jack Chan's Crime Story has some scenes in Kowloon. I think they filmed it just before it was demolished.

cry more nerd

Fuck i'm definitely gonna have to check it out thanks, im watching this doc on it. Seems so fucking neat

youre the weeb here faggot

try harder my guy

i dont even watch anime magn
try harder

thread's dead post lewd animu qts

smell that? its the glorious stench of butthurt, an aroma that arouses me

tfw nobody shows any love for your animu qts
bye

i just love looking at these photos

Surprised this got as many replies as it did, thanks anons

The Expanse is dope, i've never liked these space type shows. Not to mention it was on the Sy-Fy channel so i brushed it off as cheesy, cheap, or both. I was surprised at how well done the show was, i ended up loving it.

They don't specify on what year its taking place in, but to give you a sense of the time basically we have colonized most planets in our solar system.

Is the user who was shilling YA movies in the last thread here? I gave you tons of shit last thread kek but I gave it a shot, Hunger Games wasn't that bad. Its a cool concept

related

There's more to life than getting your dick out, you beta fag

great thread

no problem bby

My favorite movie when i was in like 6th grade. Still a great sci-fi movie when I'm 20.

Then list some good sci-fi anime.
-Steins;Gate
-Code Geass
-Gurren Laagan
-FUCKING COWBOY BEEBOP.

2001 A spacetime Odyssey. Book is better and has 2 more books in the series than the movies.

What are some anime similar to Serial Experiments Lain? I just finished it and i loved it! It was my first anime and it wasn't as bad as i thought

Now i'm looking for more, preferably with the futuristic/cyber punk theme

Eh, i saw it and wasn't that impressed (not to sound snobby) i usually don't give a shit about elite directing. This movie was just boring, i don't wanna watch a monkey jerkoff for 30 minutes

Could any of you help me out with remembering the name of a movie? I can't remember much they showed it to us back in 8th grade. Anyway all i remember is it was a bunch of kids in some building and i think the sun never comes out or something because they were excited as fuck when it did come out.

thats all i can really remember

The Human Centipede.

Nah i know The Human Centipede its definitely not that

no one gets killed in the movie, its a bunch of kids

Nevermind i found it! I literally typed movie where sun never comes out on Google, shit works wonders i guess

Kek that made me laugh, but fuck you I didn't know you could be that vague on Google

It's too Hollywood-y in my opinion. The heroic American's struggle against the evil Nazi occupiers…

I tried watching it. It's bland, full of chliches and doesn't make me anxious to know what'll happen next.

Not that user but
i thought the same thing but i mean what else would you expect for a plot?

It would make sense for some sort of resistance to be in the plot

found something similar but like the user mentioned it doesn't have audio effects like this one below vvvv

any help anons?

Fair point, but it's the exact same predictable premise that you can find in nearly 70% of Hollywood movies.

They could've made a much more challenging resistance plot but instead they chose a stereotypical story with flat characters, simply because that appeals more to the majority of viewers and that's all that matters.