So, I have close to more than 10 years in images

So, I have close to more than 10 years in images.
I tried several stuff, but I feel that I have never managed to fix the issue.

How do you organize your stuff? folders? some tag software? (one that works, I can't seem to make Hydrus work without crashing for some reason)

I know that feel OP
I have close to 500GBs of pictures alone and no way of organizing shit, its way too overwhelming

One thing you could try is first group each picture by filetype (Winduds Explorer has this feature, not sure about loonux) and then moving each filetype into their own folder from there

Folders. *nix systems allow for far more flexibility than Wangblows, and if you know what you're doing with a scripting language (Python, Perl, Ruby), renaming and moving entire directories is a cinch.

I'm actually wanting to do something like this for my home NAS. I'm thinking a python script could analyze the images for different aspects as well as metadata and then output some JSON to a text file that refrences each file. That way, I could have a function that selects images by histogram info, date taken, etc...

Opinions?

this is how I sort out my ebin memes
r8 my autism

tech folder

I use gthumb to tag stuff. It gives you the option to either save tags to xml files or add tags to image metadata.
I go the xml route because I don't know if there is actually any advantage to tagging metadata, problem is figuring out a decent tagging and cataloging convention, and if you move shit to sub folders then your xml files are fucked.

Holy shit you are a nigger.

There's always Hydrus

>>>/hydrus/

Is impossible use folders to organized shitpost. The only way is by tags.

What is the best image brower for tagged browsing on linux? I'm currently using Gwenview to tag some images, but it seems really bloated and less than optimal.

Why?

can vouch for hydrus, it's a fucking godsend

tag searching is so efficient I'm seriously amazed that it isn't the standard

It's programmed in Python. The installer doesn't optimize for your OS, so you get binaries for other OS too. The programmer just slammed all dependencies into the file too.

tags

The programmer is literally autistic.

I use the classic Year->A-Z system. Works pretty alright for everything but software.

Just wait for machine learning to break trough.
In a few years, you can download some program that tag them and organize them for you automatically, or so I hope so, I have +500GB of unsorted pics I scraped...

Shotwell, but it's fairly shit. It doesn't crash and burn like other organizers if you throw years and years worth of weebshit at it, but it's totally crap at organization.

I made a script that tagged all my images against a local IQDB instance, so if shotwell wasn't shit I'd be able to find anything easily.

>>>/hydrus/1553
Procrastinators always win.

That's a really easy fix

not after what I did to it

I'm sorry for your loss

Is that the picture that was in the Bad Dragon newspost about them not being able to handle all the dragon dildo orders?

I just have a massive folder where I put all my image board shit.

I have two scripts which help at the start:

The first removes all metadata from the images (Exif data, thumbnails, etc) and then renames it to the file's md5 hash. Files which are 100% identical are removed. I never had a collision with the names yet.
I tried to give the images purposeful names, but a halfway decent directory structure and the image itself is enough for me. (a picture says more than a thousand words anyway). The only exception to this rule is my infographics directory, because the image thumbnail in the file browser usually is way to small to see anything on it.

The second script moves all files based on the first character of the filename into separate subdirectories, so you have smaller heaps to sort through. I may edit the script so it moves gif files into a separate directory first.

With this method i organized about 100.000 images in my archive already.

I just put pictures in the folder of the board I saved them from. I have 12k pics (which of course is not as much as many other people have) and so far it's ok. Sometimes I creat other folder for more epin memes

I'll get to a point where I just stop organizing shit and start an entirely new folder for whatever it is. before I stop I'll pretty much do this with sub folders.
I have like 7 generations of this, some are inside the old folder. it's a huge clusterfuck.

it works well enough for me, I have all the 8ch shit that I mainly use and all the other shit in another folder I can dig through when I need to find the old dank memes

I have about 80k images in the main chunk, the really ancient shit is somewhere else

How complete is the tag repository coverage? Are there any notable repositories besides the one the developer maintains?

I think he meant using CLI vs. GUI. For bulk renaming and sorting, it's easier to use one command than it is to do a million mouse gestures or get a third-party GUI utility.

I wrote a basic file sorting and tagging system, sort of like a personal, local image chan and just use any browser to navigate.

what are the images off?

if anyone has old *chan related stuff I would love if you could contribute it to my archives.

And now you have learned your lesson, you will have offline backups in the future in case you fuck up again.

i just put all my images in the same folder and wrote a short script to select a random image when i want to post. fuck you guys, you get what you get.

7/10, needs more tree-ing. Move all meme folders to Memes or sth

I just save them all to /sdcard/Download/Dashchan

6k+ images
how fucked am i

More.

no more right now, i need to read. russian roulette is the best file organization strategy.

Nice man.
I need to get more images and after that I'll use a python script to iterate over my epic memes.
What language is the script in?

python, i'll post later if i remember. i have an interview and need to study.

why
find `pwd` -type f | grep -E "\.(webm|gif|png|jpg|jpeg)" | shuf -n 1

I saw this on Holla Forums

That command has multiple problems.
- "find" defaults to using the current directory, so the `pwd` is unnecessary
- the `pwd` is not double-quoted, so whitespace in your path will screw it up
- you should put a $ at the end of the regex so it only matches it at the end of paths
- find supports regexes, so you don't need to involve grep in the first place
find -type f -regextype egrep -iregex '.*\.(png|gif|jpeg|jpg|webm)' | shuf -n 1

try this

rm -rf cat /dev/urandom > adurpdurp

very hierarchical directory structure complemented by tags and a file indexer like Tracker. When I can't find a file's location in the filesystem I make a search. GNOME has very good search mechanisms.

this is how my home dir looks:

you get the drill

Upload to mega please. Would appreciate it.

DELETE IT ALL
DELETE IT ALL
DELETE IT ALL

I just dug around gnome, and noticed that the included search engine (tracker) is pretty nifty and actually indexes image metadata out of the box.

Unfortunately everything that uses it is complete garbage, so you better not mind writing SPARQL by hand.

Op Here.
I've decided to go with a folder hierarchy.
I feel uncomfortable about it since, well, you've got issues like what to do when an image should belong to different categories. I would rather go with a tagging option but nothing I have seen so far seems comfortable for me.

Since I'll have to do the 'moving images to different folders' by hand... I'll probably do some scripts to open images and agilize the moving so I can do it with some keystrokes... so it recognizes automatically what folders are there and stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

You could use (sym)links to have images in multiple folders.

same boat as you, user. folders and gthumb to find them. tried shotwell and found gthumb is still superior. tried tagging them a while back and discovered it was more trouble than it was worth.

trust me user. it'll be faster just to have multiple file manager windows open and just drag and drop based on thumbnail. speaking from experience here.

If you really want to use tags once you get them organized by folder, you can use shotwell to tag entire folders one way and add individual tags in batches.

pwd was because I figured you'd pipe the command into your sys clipboard, and drop the path into the file selector menu from Holla Forums, or something along those lines
in which case getting a reldir might be problematic

otherwise yes I agree

This. Voywap